Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E14: Jessa's Engagement

Jessa seems genuinely humiliated, not amused, by asking strangers for the roses.  Does Ben know her at all?!  Even I know that Jessa and Jinger don't like being put on the spot, interacting with strangers or going outside their comfort zones. 

This whole thing seems to emphasize to me that Ben doesn't love Jessa for who she is.  He wants her to be the typical fundie woman, but he's too blinded by lust to admit that she's not the kind of wife he wants.  

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 3

He's threatened because he's gay for ben!

Ben has been defrauding him this whole time, how will he ever make another baby with MECHELLe when all he can think about is Ben's luscious hair?

And Ben's knees....you can't forget those defrauding knees!

• Love 1

Loved Bin's dad asking him if he was going to be eloquent during the proposal. First, Bin doesn't have a fucking clue what that word means. Second, you're his dad. When the hell have you EVER known Bin to be eloquent?

• Love 9

MECHELLE HAS A NEW TOP!!!!!

(every 30 years whether she needs one or not??)

I noticed that too. She also dressed up in her tan skirt when they went to dinner. I guess Grandma was washing the denim one.

I don't believe for one second that Bin planned this whole thing himself.

I'm with you. I also don't see him getting the DC pictures correctly named on the trolley. I noticed on one of the clues it was neat printing, which was probably one of the girl's. I'm glad the Seewalds were included in the plans. I thought it might be a Duggar only event.

Boy I'm feeling defrauded with all those front hugs.

Add me to the list of wondering who is paying for all of this.

• Love 5

They had to have a fucking chaperone for their proposal despite there being half a dozen crew standing around?

ETA: My 9 year old son was like "OMG, they frontal hugged!" We were laughing at the scandal of it all!

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 9

wait I can't remember are the full frontal hugs accepted when your engaged?? because if not they are breaking all kids of rules with their wild hand holding and now a frontal hug....what is the world coming to...

Where's Jim Bob's patent pending frontal -hug before marriage alarm when you need it?

• Love 9

These rules confuse me. If Bin and Jessa had never met and there was a prayer circle, then holding hands would be OK. But, since they are in a "courtship," then they can't hold hands in prayer? I thought MEchelle's hair was going to straighten when Bin and Jessa held hands to pray at dinner.

• Love 9

OMG - this is exactly what I was thinking...

Glad to know I'm not the only one confused by the nature of JimBob's feelings for Ben.  Michelle's hot for Ben are clearly still raging, though.

Jessa looked so pissed to see her whole family there, and when Michelle hugged her after the proposal, she looked disgusting.  Reminded me why I used to like her.  She knows her mother is awful and the family circus is ridiculous.  The actual proposal was sweet; I'm glad the entire family wasn't in the room with them when it happened.

Jordyn looked so sad afterwards.  I feel so bad for that kid.  I hope she's doing okay these days.

• Love 2

It's wild to me how they are just not going to acknowledge that this boy has no way to support this marriage.

I'm not talking about being minimally employed. We've all had shitty paying jobs and having to struggle for a bit. But this an entirely different animal. No job at all?? Is Jimbob going to support them forever? Will Ben get a bigger allowance from Jim when the kids start coming? Just how is this going to work?

• Love 8

And a perfectly normal, natural full frontal hug.

Almost like they'd been doing it all along. Hmmm

Exactly what I thought! They looked ready to segue to the next step, first base, which they have probably already visited.

I bet the reason the marriage was pushed up was that Boob was sick of finding them going at it in the warehouse love nest, and just decided to marry her off to Horn Dog Junior.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 5

Seriously.  Derick has a real job, and his own life, and JimBob grilled the crap out of him.  We better see Ben getting the same treatment next season.  Except JimBob obviously seems to be grooming Ben to be his little bitch boy for eternity.  I hope he and Jessa escape somehow - since I feel like she's only marrying this guy just to get away from her family.

They totally looked like they were about to kiss a couple of times during that frontal hug.

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 6

Hmm, I will give Bin credit for this: when it came to the actual proposal I liked that he kept it simple. No flowing speeches, no dreadful songs, just short and sweet. I thought he did a great job with that part and the chapel was stunning. I also liked that Jinger sat way in the back versus being all up in the mix the way Jana and Joy were with Jill. 

With that said, I do agree with everyone else that the producer-driven scavenger hunt was a bad idea. Jessa was clearly getting annoyed and restless towards the end. I think taking her out to a nice dinner in Eureka Springs and then bringing her to the chapel would have been more her preference.

Jessa did have some funny moments tonight though. The first was when she defiantly held on to Bin's hand even though Mullet was pitching a hissy fit. The second was when she jokingly told Jinger to go get one of the roses from a particular guy because he looked single. She's pretty funny when she loosens up.

• Love 5

Jessa is hilarious.  I loved that during prayer she grabbed his hand and wasn't letting go!  She totally gave Michelle a "What are you going to do about it?" look.  Those clues were a little ridiculous.  The line of the night was "A chariot?  I don't see any chariot."  Her delivery was spot on and just snarky enough for me to snicker.  Homegirl was clearly getting impatient and wanted that ring on her finger immediately. 

Ben's actual proposal was sweet.  I liked that it was short and to the point.  No unnecessary speeches, no preaching, just love.  I have to admit, I teared up watching her get emotional.  We give Jessa and her resting bitch face so much crap so it was nice for her to show some emotion.  A small kiss would have made the moment better and I'm mad for them that it couldn't happen.  I think she really did want this and I'm glad they made it to their wedding day. 

• Love 5

Hate to say it, but I think that entire scavenger hunt had a team from TLC along with Ben and the parents plus at least Jinger come up with it.

The proposal made me tear up because it was pretty, and I want to find someone again (might work better if I could leave my house and talk to people). But, I hated the scavenger hunt. I hope Jessa liked it.

• Love 2

Hate to say it, but I think that entire scavenger hunt had a team from TLC along with Ben and the parents plus at least Jinger come up with it.

The proposal made me tear up because it was pretty, and I want to find someone again (might work better if I could leave my house and talk to people). But, I hated the scavenger hunt. I hope Jessa liked it.

I feel like Jessa didn't even like it.

• Love 2

I didn't think she liked it either. I can imagine they a had really long day filming all the scenes and she was probably getting anxious, knowing the proposal was coming but having to wait so many hours. When Jana handed her the bag to change clothes, Jessa looked like she was going to flip her lid. I don't think she intended to hurt her sister's feelings, but she was definitely not happy and it showed. 

Edited by BitterApple

Jessa looked pissed off most of the time.  Girl has a bitch face like no other.  But it was very sweet when the engagement finally happened.  I didn't know she was capable of so much emotion.

• Love 2

Jessa looked pissed off most of the time. Girl has a bitch face like no other. But it was very sweet when the engagement finally happened. I didn't know she was capable of so much emotion.

Hell, I'd be pissed if I had to go through all those hoops to get a damn ring on a my finger.

• Love 2

I thought the whole thing was really sweet, but I'm on board with the thought that BinBoob had a LOT of help. No way he came up with most of that on his own. And these Duggar proposals make me cringe when no kiss happens. It's so awkward when you can see they badly want to. I'm so glad these 2 children at least decided to keep their first kiss private.

That chapel was amazing! I'd get married there in a heartbeat, even though I'm a lifelong heathen! Well, if I wasn't already married, anyway.

Anna: "You're so special, special, special." She's definitely bringing the snark!

• Love 2

This was hands down my favorite episode of this season. Probably thanks to the complete lack of Mrs. Jill Dillard, who has thoroughly worked my last nerve this season. 

I was trying to figure out why this episode didn't make me want to overdose on Xanax and booze. After reading your comment I realize it's because Jill wasn't in it. Talk about refreshing. For the first time in four months I didn't have to hear "I'm engaged to Derick Dillard." 

• Love 7

I loved the chapel but I felt like I was watching a soap opera during the actual proposal. I think it was their voices- it sounded like they were doing that breathless thing. Maybe I'll feel different when I watch it again.

• Love 1

They had to have a fucking chaperone for their proposal despite there being half a dozen crew standing around?

ETA: My 9 year old son was like "OMG, they frontal hugged!" We were laughing at the scandal of it all!

Yeah except you know the crew would be going "YES!!" just for the footage. I don't think they're good chaperones...

Your 9 year old cracks me up. I haven't gotten to see the show yet - I think it starts in about 10 minutes. Can't wait to see the front hugs. (okay that sounds creepy, but not meant that way!)

I know it is annoying that the episodes are so behind what we know has happened IRL. But I feel a bit sorry for the tv crew- in a normal engagement you have 6 mos or a year to the wedding. The Duggar kids seem to marry so quickly after the engagement! And also they want to stretch out these episodes for the leg humpers, who probably want to know every fake producer- driven wedding detail (ala Jill's hair salon visit).

I'm pretty sure Jill only gave an awkward side hug to Derick at her engagement, so go Jessa!

And somehow Boob forgot to ask him "How will you provide for her?" like he grilled Derick. For a minute there, I didn't think Boob was going to get his pained "I'm going to throw up" look on his face but he didn't let us down, it was there.

It cracked me up when Jessa was getting ready for the dinner date, Joy or Jana said they don't see Jessa much in the morning because she gets up early to see Ben before he leaves for work. They acted like he leaves the compound to go to a real 9-5 job, not hanging around being Boob's handy helper.

So whose the chaperone

It cracked me up when Jessa was getting ready for the dinner date, Joy or Jana said they don't see Jessa much in the morning because she gets up early to see Ben before he leaves for work. They acted like he leaves the compound to go to a real 9-5 job, not hanging around being Boob's handy helper.

I thought they were going to rat her out about sneaking out early to go "visit" him in his bachelor pad. Love it. You know that no kid in that house gets up early enough to chaperone.

That was some outfit she had on......a tight blouse tucked into a hip-hugger skirt with a hip belt. She is SO on the internet 24/7. And her skirts never go longer than her knees anymore (unless it's a styin' maxi-skirt).

All the girls had on their bridesmaids shoes at one point or another......they even looked too casual for clomping around the countryside.

Loved that Ben blatantly wore shorts.

I still think JB caved on this wedding to stop her from screwing and/or running away and/or eloping.

• Love 1

And it's not seen as sexual for the sisters to run their fingers thru Ben's hair? When I start running my fingers thru hubby's hair, he knows that means sexy times are a coming.

It's so odd- no platonic front hugs but you can run your fingers through his hair or shave him, both of which are more intimate to me.

• Love 7

That was some outfit she had on......a tight blouse tucked into a hip-hugger skirt with a hip belt. She is SO on the internet 24/7. And her skirts never go longer than her knees anymore (unless it's a styin' maxi-skirt).

This is no doubt the first and last time I'll say this about a Duggar girl, but I loved her outfit!!!

I was also reminded how much I DID NOT miss Jill when she had one lonely talking head at the end of the episode. Also thought it was sweet of Josh and Anna to pay for the meal. If any money was actually exchanged I'd be surprised since we heard the name of the restaurant at least four times. But still, very thoughtful.

At one point on the train ride (was it when Jessa had just changed into her dress?) Michelle was shown with a tight-lipped 'grin' of some sort as if she was about to lose her shit....out of jealousy perhaps? She looked almost pained having to flash a smile and be happy for her daughter.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2

So...I've only been watching this show since the day they aired Jill's wedding (super late to the party, I somehow managed to go this long without really knowing anything about this family). Jessa seems much less willing to bow down to her parents than Jill and I agree with other posters who think she may like Ben, but views marriage as a way to escape her parents/achieve independence. Doesn't seem likely. As someone new to the show, the engagement made me sad for those two. They really have not experienced life at all, nor been given any choice due to their ridiculously strict culture. Not sure why but I feel like Jill is more inclined to the domestic life and Jessa seems more unruly and outspoken and could've really benefited from venturing out on her own and meeting/dating other people. I just see wasted potential there, when everyone else is probably really happy to see her get engaged.

• Love 4

So whose the chaperone

They went out to dinner with both sets of parents. Boob made it sound like they were going to a 5 star restaurant when he asked where they were going. I guess a sit down restaurant is 5 star in his mind.

In the restaurant, the only one that was eating was Boob. I think Jessa & MEchelle had take home containers in front of them but not Boob. Plus Josh was paying. I'm sure he knew that ahead of time & probably ordered the most expensive meal.

• Love 1

Seriously.  Derick has a real job, and his own life, and JimBob grilled the crap out of him.  We better see Ben getting the same treatment next season.  Except JimBob obviously seems to be grooming Ben to be his little bitch boy for eternity.  I hope he and Jessa escape somehow - since I feel like she's only marrying this guy just to get away from her family.

I think this is exactly why Boob grilled Derick. Because he knew Derick could give him the answers he - as a Gothard-father - was supposed to get in order to sign over his daughter. Personally I believe high school graduate Boob and his traveling inferiority complex liked "putting it" to college graduate Derick as well. I don't think Ben will get the same interrogation from Boob. For one thing, imagine how Ben would answer him!

• Love 5

I'm glad that they showed the beauty of Eureka Springs. And while I loved seeing the town, I was surprised there was no Christ of the Ozarks or the passion play. Seems up Dugger alley

• Love 1