Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

Yes, but Boob said "I can't believe Jill is all grownup..."  I can't believe I'm going to be giving Jill away..." about 600 times.  What a colossal ham...

Yes, yes, hammy ham ham. BUT us seeing it like this is really the fault of the editing & production in general. Sooooo bad this season. So repetitive and boring!

I actually had a feeling toward the beginning of the show, then pretty soon I was staring slack-jawed in utter zombie-dom. sheesh. there is so much in terms of little side action they could have shown. Really awful.

• Love 1

Cannot stand to listen to Erin Bates play the piano. She bangs the hell out of it, and it SOUNDS.LIKE.SHIT. Okay, that's all, I feel better now.

She was certainly playing to fill that entire space with the glory of the Lord!

• Love 3

I did get a laugh out of Derek pulling Jill up the aisle, out of the sanctuary and down the hall.  Derek couldn't wait to get Jill in a private room with no chaperones.

Josh and Anna sure have cute kids.  Michael and Makynzie are so funny in their talking heads.

• Love 10

Yes, yes, hammy ham ham. BUT us seeing it like this is really the fault of the editing & production in general. Sooooo bad this season. So repetitive and boring!

I actually had a feeling toward the beginning of the show, then pretty soon I was staring slack-jawed in utter zombie-dom. sheesh. there is so much in terms of little side action they could have shown. Really awful.

Didn't someone say this is a different crew or at least producer? It showed. The episode seemed much more like a documentary and lacked some of the (dare I say it) quirky touches of the past.

• Love 1

Does anyone know whether or not Cathy stayed for the reception? My guess is no, considering how compromised her immune system was at that point. I was truly heartbroken for Derick and his brother. They were clearly stressed, but trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

I understand that Jill's TH comment about Cathy passing away was a tad harsh, but in a weird way I respected that she understood the gravity of Cathy's illness. I'm so used to the Duggars fake positivity and "pray it away" attitude that it was refreshing to see Jill refrain from reciting the same tiresome cliches we've been hearing for years.

• Love 3

Watching the episode: 

I have friends who are in big families. When you have a big family, baby daughter or baby sister is a technical term usually used for the youngest or youngest few. Jill is no way the baby of the family.  Josh is three years older than Jill (thanks, Wikipedia) . She is not his baby sister. I can sort of see Jim bob saying but with 7 younger sisters he's pushing it.

Some of Derrick's friends are cute. It could be a good way for Jana or Jinger to meet someone. Unfortunately, they probably come off a little weird to people who are more mainstream.

Wow Josh seemed bitter. His whole monologue came off Dad always liked her best.  In the first talking spot, he was comparing his wedding to Jill's and he was probably right.

My drinking words would be "give her away" or anything similar, but do not die of alcohol poison please. 

I thought Dan's toast was one of the best toasts I've ever heard at any wedding.

The video and the song did not improve on seeing them again.

I was surprised they agreed to see each other before the wedding. 

Who was chaperoning them when they arrived at the ceremony? (the day of the ceremony) Also they seemed to be alone several times before the ceremony. 

It doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't have felt they needed a chaperone at all. 

3,000 people.  No wonder Jim Bob is worried about paying for the wedding.  My family isn't as money cautious as the Duggars, but we would never invite that many people due to worrying about costs. Of course we usually do dinner or lunch or brunch.

I've never heard of "first look".  Has anyone else?

Cathy was so sick and yet she looked better imo than Michelle.

Not to belittle Derrick but for a adult child to have their only surviving parent there is also a big deal. It's too bad his father died young.

Where did they run to?  Of course the weddings I've been tend to drag the leaving the church part out.

This was the season finale except for the proposal next week! huh!

I would have liked to see more of the reception.

"When two or three of the children are gone, but it feels like the house is empty." Sorry don't buy that.

Michelle "Jill has something that's vital to this family."   Me: "A functioning uterus"  Michelle: "We'll miss that when she's gone."

Most of them were annoying me by the end. Not so much Jinger.  But even Anna was a little annoying and in general I like Anna.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

Goodness, the Duggar women do have breasts. Jill's wedding gown definitely despite the bad fit showed hers off. In the first look, Derick had a hard time looking away from them and looking at her countenance. The stupid brown belts on the bridesmaids dresses also showed off their boobs, too. I wonder if the girls are forced to wear double sports bras to minimize their shapes.

Boob leading BinBoob by his tie will never not be funny.

I was glad that Derick and Jill in their wedding finery went to see Cathy before the wedding. That was the part that made me tear up.

• Love 2

So right.  In all seriousness, if TLC truly wants to keep this program going, major changes are needed.  New producers, directors, writers. The level of Lame in this "season" has reached critical mass.  And they cannot drag out Jessa's wedding in the same way.  I don't even think their FANS will be able to take 8 weeks of THs featuring that painfully-idiotic Ben.  Honest to God, tonight he sounded like someone who spent 12 years riding the little bus to school. OMG.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 8

I agree with many here that Jill is immature, but have to cut her some slack because she was raised by two morons who are emotionally stunted teenagers themselves.  I'm just happy that she found someone who has a little worldly experience and, hopefully, will help her grow.

I had to snicker when Jill, who has been repressed her whole life, licked Derick's fingers after he fed her the cake.  You go, Jill; enjoy the freedom of expressing yourself now that you've gotten out from under the thumbs of your asshole parents.  On a shallow note, though, whoever did her hair did a terrible job.

Josh and Bin grabbing "their women" after the ceremony?  I've been paired with different men in weddings and, if my husband had grabbed me, wearing sunglasses, and planted a kiss on me as if to show everyone that I was his property, I would have decked him.  Of course, Jessa was happy with Bin claiming her too.  Yuck!

Speaking of Jessa, I'd like to think she has access to Proactive to clear up her face.  I haven't noticed any of the other girls having skin as bad as hers. 

As big an asshole as JimBob is, he does adore his daughters.  Michelle is too much into herself to care much about anyone else. 

Why is it that the only thing these people think about when someone gets married is how soon they will be procreating?  I was hoping Jill and Derick would have some time to enjoy each other before starting a family.  Oh well!

One more thing: Was that Derick's stepfather with Cathy at the church?  If so, he came off as really unpleasant.  I never saw him smile once.

Edited by parisprincess
  • Love 5

Watching the episode: 

I have friends who are in big families. When you have a big family baby daughter or baby sister is a technical term, usually used for the youngest or youngest few. Jill is no way the baby of the family.  Josh is three years older than Jill (thanks, Wikipedia) . She is not his baby sister. I can sort of see Jim bob saying but with 7 younger sisters he's pushing it.

Some of Derrick's friends are cute. It could be a good way for Jana or Jinger to meet someone. Unfortunately, they probably come off a little weird to people who are more mainstream.

Wow Josh seemed bitter. His whole monologue came off Dad always liked her best.  In the first talking spot, he was comparing his wedding to Jill's and he was probably right.

My drinking words would be "give her away" or anything similar, but do not die of alcohol poison please. 

I thought Dan's toast was one of the best toasts I've ever heard at any wedding.

The video and the song did not improve on seeing them again.

I was surprised they agreed to see each other before the wedding. 

Who was chaperoning them when they arrived at the ceremony? (the day of the ceremony) Also they seemed to be alone several times before the ceremony. 

It doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't have felt they needed a chaperone at all. 

3,000 people.  No wonder Jim Bob is worried about paying for the wedding.  My family isn't as money cautious as the Duggars, but we would never invite that many people due to worrying about costs. Of course we usually do dinner or lunch or brunch.

I've never heard of "first look".  Has anyone else?

Cathy was so sick and yet she looked better imo than Michelle.

Not to belittle Derrick but for a adult child to have their only surviving parent there is also a big deal. It's too bad his father died young.

Where did they run to?  Of course the weddings I've been tend to drag the leaving the church part out.

This was the season finale except for the proposal next week! huh!

I would have liked to see more of the reception.

"When two or three of the children are gone, but it feels like the house is empty." Sorry don't buy that.

Michelle "Jill has something that's vital to this family."   Me: "A functioning uterus"  Michelle: "We'll miss that when she's gone."

Most of them were annoying me by the end. Not so much Jinger.  But even Anna was a little annoying and in general I like Anna.

I think that they ran off to an office or something.  Derick did say that he enjoyed some alone time with Jill because they never had any.

After both Derick and Jill commented several times about how special it was not to have a chaperine, I found myself wishing they could have had a wee bit more time as a married couple before expecting their first child.

• Love 7

I see that the next episode is going to be the beginning of the Jessa/Bin engagement and road to marriage.  As much as these people make me sick, I will probably watch just to see if JimBob makes as big a deal about giving her away as he did about Jill.

Following the two hour wedding episode, TLC showed a new family in "Home Sweet Bus".  Will someone please start a thread about this family?  I think I kinda like them!

• Love 2

Josh's hissy fits baffle me. You were the groom, Einstein.  It was Anna's family who threw YOUR wedding.  If you didn't like how it went down, take it up with Pa Keller.  And then get over it!

She just HAD to remind everyone that she has a "covenant marriage" and is therefore better than you, she is the most speshul of snowflakes. *eyeroll*

What the heck is a covenant marriage?  I've never heard of it.

• Love 4

I don't know if she's this way because of a mental illness or if she was just born this way, but she gives me the major creeps.

Personally I think she's on an antidepressant med with a high dosage.  With some people they can make them not really feel much emotion.

• Love 1

Just caught the last hour of the wedding show.

I didn't like: bare feet, JB's "you may now kiss the bride"- who let him on the altar?, the bridal party running out, the bride & groom seeing each other before the wedding. BUT every wedding is different, more power to them if it made them happy.

Why didn't someone take all those damn balloons out of the truck before they left? They say their goodbyes & are popping/shoving balloons out for a long time while everyone is waiting to watch them drive off.

As a Catholic it is strange to see an altar with no crucifix on it, just the white drapery. Looked like a stage but not a church, unless I missed it. (Not trying to be judgy- that's fine if that's what their churches look like).

I'm really glad the groom's mom made it to the wedding. My friend's mom was ill & died right before her DD's wedding. They went on with the wedding & the funeral was the next day. THAT was weird.

• Love 1

Speaking of Jessa, I'd like to think she has access to Proactive to clear up her face.  I haven't noticed any of the other girls having skin as bad as hers.

I know, it seems to be getting worse as she gets older instead of better!  I feel so bad for her having to be on tv like that.  I wonder if worrying about when Jim Bob will finally let Ben propose was causing her stress, or if she was stressed out watching Jill get all the fanfare and the wedding even though Jessa was the one that was courting first.  Other than that I can't imagine her having much stress in her life.  But it has really gotten a lot worse lately - to the point where her makeup doesn't even do much to help her cover it up.  I wonder if she knows she could get help from a dermatologist.  

• Love 2

The "can't wait to have sex" patter gets really old. I've known, been attendant to, and been the bride of, plenty of weddings where the couple waited, and often MUCH longer than any Duggar couple. Many were separated because of military of mission commitments, and even HAND SEX was out of the question. But somehow we managed to keep ourselves under control during the day and OUR fathers didn't make asses of themselves, obviously thinking about our wedding nights.

This goes to show how even when you follow ever arcane rule and do everything RIGHT this group is OBSESSED with sexuality. There really isn't any difference between "godly sex" and "secular sex" in one being sacred. Both are just something to make conversation giggly and tittilating.

• Love 7

Why didn't someone take all those damn balloons out of the truck before they left? They say their goodbyes & are popping/shoving balloons out for a long time while everyone is waiting to watch them drive off.

I think that's supposed to be one of those "pranks", where they trash the truck so it's hard for the bride/groom to ride off.  Remember they did it with Josh/Anna?  But a few episodes ago they said something about Jill requesting that hers wasn't destroyed like Josh's.  Plus I think it was a loaner truck.  So they decorated it but didn't really trash it.  I think it's a tradition for weddings in their circles.  

Did I hear it right?  JD saying that Derick is a great guy and another that they can put to work some day.

I was hoping they wouldn't serve the re-frozen ice cream and happy to hear they re-scooped a fresh batch.

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 1

Derick's step-dad hands down gets the award for least happy guest. It was terribly awkward that when Derick and Jill came in to greet Cathy, no one even aknowledged him. He looked miserable, like he was about to undergo an invasive medical procedure. I suspect he was very understandably preoccupied with his wife's illness, but it just seemed so apparent that he has zero interest in anything having to do with the Duggars.

Also, if J'Chelle and Boob greeted Derick's mother and her husband, it wasn't shown or implied, even in a background shot. The groom's mother, who had just been discharged from the hospital, deserved better.

All of the guests deserved better than that crappy reception. Cupcakes, ice cream, and popcorn at a wedding hosted by millionaires who have their own tv show? Insulting. If they weren't willing to spring for a simple buffet of pasta and salad to feed their guests, they shouldn't have invited so many. It was pathetic watching people sitting on curbs or park benches outside on the pavement. The Duggars not only didn't feed their guests, they made no effort to make them comfortable.

A few other quick observations. Jill's lack of footwear was inappropriate in that setting. Did somone yell "fire" in the church? You'd think so by the way the entire wedding party bolted. Ben and Josh are idiots, but we all knew that. Had Jill and Derick ever previously met the pastor who married them? Nothing about the ceremony seemed personal. It was all very generic.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 8
I was glad to see that they didn't serve refrozen ice cream, because with this group, you never know.

I really thought they were going to do that, claiming that once the root beer is poured over it you wouldn't know the difference.

I'm glad Erin was so, um, enthusiastic about playing the wedding march but that was not good.

When Jill and Derick sprinted out of the church, my sister asked if they ran straight to the bedroom. (We usually watch and snark together)

Did anyone else notice that they kept introducing the new couple as Mr and Mrs Derick Michael Dillard? Why no mention of Jill, and why the middle name every time? Even Jill didn't say "I'm engaged to derickmichaeldillard" although that is definitely something a 14 yo would do

Buck in the truck looks like the fundie version of the dollar dance

And all those TH about nieces/nephews were so clearly filmed after Jill announced her pregnancy that TLC probably had to do some extra editing to get rid of all the winks and nods at the camera.

• Love 1

Best thing about this show?  So many really funny comments from posters here.  I like your style!  

I sue missed a lot.  First the World Series was on, and then I had people come over, 2 sets of them, and phone calls, and mostly I was playing games on computer and phone and just can't look up from them.

I doubt I'll look around for a repeat on another day, but I was disgusted with what I did see.

*  Bin whining about not being in the wedding & somebody else with Jessa.

* The THs that indicated strongly they were done after the PG announcement.

* How much better DErrikdillard will look after he fills out like a man.

* The kiss---please no more dipping.  It's crazy.

* The lack of something to actually eat at these shindigs.  I'd take my present back.

* The constant talk of babies.  When I was younger people always wanted to know when we'd start a family, and at first we'd say we're still reading the book to figure out what to do, to ignoring the comments, to telling people it was rude to ask and please don't do it again.  Whether or not we just didn't want them, or whether we had fertility problems, (always it was assumed it must be me rather then husband) was none of their business.

• Love 2

I've never once had a family member walk through the room and make a perfectly timed, witty comment about a show I'm watching like so many people here seem to.

My family isn't doing their jobs!

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 20

I am in love with DanDillard. He's not here for any of this Duggar crap. I'm willing to share him with Jana.

I thought Jim Bob was kind of sweet. Some people may see it as overly patriarchal, but you can tell that he truly cares for Jill and that he was having a tough time seeing her get married. I think that's pretty normal for a close father/daughter. I believe he'd be the same way with or without 19 kids/Gothard/religion.

It was great to see Cathy. Derick's stepdad is also not here for this Duggar crap.

I found the TH's extremely distracting. They tried to make them appear to be filmed before the wedding but Derick and Jill went in for a kiss so many times before they realized they weren't "supposed" to do that yet. Cue them talking about the wedding in the past tense and wearing the exact same clothes. I got a chuckle when Ben and Jessa couldn't figure out if they were engaged yet or not!

My favorite TH was when Jinger and Jessa were talking about the first kiss.  Jinger said something like "Pretty good...it's not like they had a chance to rehearse or anything." and she nudged Jessa ever so slightly with a sly look on her face.  I so hope Jessa is sneaking off to get some practice kisses in with Ben, or that Jinger is chaperoning and looking the other way for a small price.

I like Josh and Anna.  They've each developed a sense of humor over the past few years.  It's not exactly tasteful at times, but they're using humor and that's a good sign. 

I watched part of this episode with my dad and he's hilarious. He took one look at JD and said "I would be so disappointed if you brought that one home." Then when Josh grabbed Anna he nearly choked on his "Who da hell?!"

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 4

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I don't know if that's saying much considering I thought I wasn't going to like it at all, but I did.

I found Jim Bob pretty touching. He seemed so much like a "normal Dad" to me, marrying off his baby girl. Call me sappy but I kept wishing they'd have the father/daughter dance. Sadly I really don't think Michelle could care less, but I was touched watching Jim Bob. Wish he hadn't done the whole thing about him being the one to give permission to kiss the bride, though.

I know others have disliked the "first look" or whatever they called it but I really liked that. Even though my husband (to-be at the time) and I already lived together, a really important part of the day to me was when we first saw each other all ready to go but before the wedding. I would've loved for that to be a semi-private moment and I hadn't heard of that idea before. I so thought Derick and Jill were going to give in and kiss during that moment - they sure wanted to!

I thought it was cute how they ran off after the ceremony. A little gross knowing everyone was thinking "ooooooh I know where THEY'RE going... will there be babies soon?!"... but I still thought it was cute overall. I can see how some might find it disrespectful but I took it more like "woo hoo we're free!"  I also liked how her dress got stuck/snagged or whatever happened - that seemed like such a normal couple moment when he stopped to help fix it for her.

Also liked that they finally (finally!) acknowledged Derick's Mom. It seemed like on the show and in the press previously she was barely mentioned. We knew she was very ill but not much else. I was glad they did so much to include her, and she and Jill really seem to mutually care about each other from the little we saw. I was glad they accomodated her need for a separate space away from the "crowd" so they could spend time with her without risking her health.

However...

Others have mentioned it but that organ/piano was awful! I didn't know it was Erin Bates until I read here, but the whole time I was listening to it I was wondering why everything that should have been a single note required about 15. I was thinking "just stop with the extra keys already!" It could've been so pretty.

Chaperone the day of the wedding is ridiculous...come on!  Even if the worst of the worst happened and they had sex hours before the wedding they could STILL play it off as a "honeymoon baby." And really, what were these two going to do, sneak off into a broom closet in the church?

Josh was pretty funny with the (paraphrasing) "yeah sure just throw me out of the nest" comments.

What was up with Anna saying something about a niece or nephew coming soon but then adding how long it takes... uhhh... because why, is she expecting an accidental niece or nephew 6 months from now???  Or was she throwing a caveat in there in case of a premie?  I just thought it was weird. Based on their first kiss I'm doubting any baby was already on the way at that point.

I wish them happiness... and 3-4 kids.

• Love 1

After the long ridiculous run out of the church and DerrickDillard finally had Jill alone, I can't help but imagine the conversation went like the one in Coming To America

So, what's your favorite food? Whatever you like

What kind of music do you listen to? Whatever you like

• Love 8

I can't believe I'm defending Ben and Josh but I read an article and Jill planned that whole leaving-the-ceremony thing. Not only that everyone runs out, but also the part with Ben and Josh - where they "claim" their girls away from the groomsmen.

Thanks for that tidbit!

I can't get hung up on any disrespect (bare feet, running) in the "sanctuary" when the room is really a stage for a show. YMMV, but that's just my read - it's not like it gives me a sacred or solemn vibe.

I was also flabbergasted that JB asked about their chaperone so immediately - I'm not surprised they had one, just...appalled that their monitoring is so monitored on their wedding day. Would LOVE to see one of the kids buck the pressure and set different standards for their courtship and engagement, since it's so supposedly "up to the couple" and M&JB have said that they didn't wait to kiss. Would enjoy seeing them react to a kid who was secure about a decision to kiss pre-wedding.

Wow to the piano playing, but in a theater/sanctuary that size, with 1000+ people in attendance, I didn't find the...enthusiasm...out of place.

JB is amazing with Ben (in all the worst ways), but I loved Ben's totally over it expression. I keep veering towards optimism for Jessa, since she's clearly the one in charge in that relationship and can think a bit for herself, but sad to hear that they want a massive family too. Cracked up at her very long silence before flatly announcing that she doesn't like root beer. Then again, I was optimistic that Derekdillard was just putting up with JB's rules with his eye on the prize, but he may be sucked in by Jill's norms rather than vice versa.

Jill seemed very genuine re Cathy (though that "or if she'll make it at all" was painful with Derek SITTING RIGHT THERE). Unless I missed it, Michelle's old wedding dress didn't get any screen time! (Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the dress she wore.)

I did appreciate the lack of extensive recycled footage. I loathe that proposal song more every time I hear it - it was tolerable the first time around, but not worthy of all the replays beyond on Jill's MP3 player.

I've never heard of "first look". Has anyone else?

It's been a thing for at least 5-10 years here on the east coast - some couples do the photos before the ceremony instead of holding everyone up afterwards (and/or instead of paying for a cocktail hour or some such for the guests before the wedding party rejoins them), and it's a) another photo op and b) the replacement for not seeing one another until the bride walks down the aisle.

Edited by WalrusGirl
  • Love 2

I got a chuckle when Ben and Jessa couldn't figure out if they were engaged yet or not!

My favorite TH was when Jinger and Jessa were talking about the first kiss.  Jinger said something like "Pretty good...it's not like they had a chance to rehearse or anything." and she nudged Jessa ever so slightly with a sly look on her face.  I so hope Jessa is sneaking off to get some practice kisses in with Ben, or that Jinger is chaperoning and looking the other way for a small price.

They replayed the episode where Ben, Jessa and whoever had to chaperone them went to visit Anna and Josh in DC. The thought occurred to me that they may have tried to sneak a kiss after everyone else was asleep. I wonder if they did!

• Love 1

Obviously I'm in the minority, and I'm sure everyone will rip me to shreds for saying it, but all the making fun of Josie seems harsh.  I know the intent of this thread is to snark, but she's a micropreemie with developmental delays.  It's not her fault.  Two of my children are disabled....make fun of me and it rolls right off my back, but make fun of my kids and it cuts like a knife.  Maybe that makes me feel a little protective of Josie, or maybe not, I don't know.  But it just seems over the top, even for this board.

I absolutely agree with you. I don't really find as much amusement in this forum anymore because of the jokes about Josie. It's difficult for any child to sit still during a wedding ceremony, never mind a child with developmental delays who is sitting under bright lights on an uncomfortable stage for an extended period of time.

• Love 2

I was hoping they wouldn't serve the re-frozen ice cream and happy to hear they re-scooped a fresh batch.

I thought I saw them rescoop a fresh batch on TOP OF the melted first batch - then on top of that the warm Root Beer, maybe the wedding planner purposely didn't want Jill to have any because it was a bust.

I didn't see anyone talking about this so here it goes.....Famy looked gorgeous! Her hair in an updo was spot on for a wedding. Jill's hair looked horrible and dirty! Hasn't anyone ever told them to get their haircut before a formal occasion? No conditioner available to smooth out that frizzy hair? 

The barefeet and the running in church I just can't perhaps because it would never fly in a Catholic church.

Everytime I saw Mullet and her talking head I just wanted to grab my scissors and chop off that dead crunchy hair of her's. As for the dress it belonged on the clearance rack and she should have left it there. It was horrific and Boob liking it as a modest dress??? It was gray and ugly. He really doesn't want her to look good does he?

Bin is a jealous creep. He is going to to all caveman on Jessa and pull her by her hair because of this. His parents sitting behind Boob and Mullet was equally creeeeeeppyyyy. Michael Seewald was seeing fame and fortune sitting there looking all smug. As much as we don't like Jessa she can do so much better then this slug. I don't fault Jana for having no interest in courting if this was the best Boob could come up with for JessaBlessa.

** off topic but I did see the first 10 minutes of the family that lived on the bus. Ummmm yeah no thanks they are too strange for me.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

I absolutely agree with you. I don't really find as much amusement in this forum anymore because of the jokes about Josie. It's difficult for any child to sit still during a wedding ceremony, never mind a child with developmental delays who is sitting under bright lights on an uncomfortable stage for an extended period of time.

I agree too, and I'm someone who made a comment.  I will refrain in future.  As someone said earlier, the comment is really directed at JB and Michelle for their refusal to acknowledge the problem based on their beliefs.  In the wedding scene, the cameras showed them trying to "shh" Josie with fingers over lips.  They think they're teaching "obedience" to someone who is maybe not capable of understanding fully or following through. 

• Love 5

"I was a stress-free bride"~Jill

Kinda easy to do when someone else takes care of all the details for you.

That was one of the worst weddings that I have ever seen. Jill looked ackward like she really didn't want to be there. The church well it didn't look like any church I have been too.

And the food or lack there of was unbelievable.  My Catholic Italian family likes to feed people and we always have a ton of food at parties they would be horrified by being served popcorn, pickles and sheet cake or cupcakes. I wonder what they served at the house afterwards?

• Love 5

Bare feet...dirty bare feet GAG!

First kiss horrible, later ones not much better. Didn't see any passion. Even quick pecks can have passion.

Erin Bates banging on the piano was too much LOL  It all came off as angry.

Ben...just keep your mouth shut. The more he talks the more immature he appears. 

They sent out invitations (or placed an ad in the weekly circular)  and they had no idea how many people were attending??? Was there no RSVP? Over 3000 people were invited and 1000 showed up. Damn  Hopefully those who attended enjoyed the popcorn and pickles.

Question- Who was the lady who unlocked the church doors when the ice cream shipment arrived? She had a longer dress with an apron and a head covering.  My family guesses were a nun, a mennonite, an extreme fundy and my favorite a nurse from World War 1 

Their wedding registries were crazy. I saw everything for the usual...kitchen, towels etc to food, gas gift cards...everything was on those lists. Greedy greedy greedy

• Love 4

First time poster. I created an account just to ask - who was the grumpy guy to the right as Derrick was carrying Jill out of the church? Arms crossed, not smiling and not even looking at them!

I need to watch again, but I am thinking it may be Derrick's "stepdad". This guy was the older man with Derrick's mom.  Everytime he is shown he looks disgusted. He was first shown when Derrick arrived back from Nepal at the airport. In this episode he looked pissed when the Duggar's pushed infront of him while waiting for Derrick. He just glares at them.

Shabby wedding, yes.  Chic, no!

Never heard of a "first look" for the bride/groom - not a fan of it at all.  It takes away from the bride/groom seeing each other at the altar in their finery before God and no one else.  The way it was done, she could have easily just went to a justice or mayor and gotten married there.  

NO SHOES! NO SHOES!!?!?!?!?!  Not even SOCKS!  As soon as he lifted her up in the air and I saw dirty feet and curled up toes - how disgusting!  At least if you are going to NOT wear shoes - keep the feet hidden at all times!!

The kiss at the altar was a mess, they should have at least practiced who was going to tilt the head when and where, etc.  For a first kiss, it was very anti-climatic.

Running off the alter and out of the church was a disgrace.  All I kept thinking of was them running to that broom closet and shutting the door and doing the freaky. 

They spent so much time in planning this wedding, all these two kept thinking about was getting married quickly, making small talk with quests quickly, and getting the hell out and on their own.  If they were intimate before the wedding, not saying have sex, but holding each other close or kissing, they would have enjoyed the day instead of rushing through it so they could be alone.

I thought the entire wedding was a disaster as soon as the I DO's were done.

I have no words for Josh and Ben - not only did the guests seem confused about Jill and Der running out of the church, but all 1,000 of them look bewildered by the shenanigans going on with Ben/Jess and Josh/Anna also leaving the alter.

Josh/Anna, stop it now please.  No one cares about either of you and your marriage.  These two irritate me.

• Love 4

Obviously I'm in the minority, and I'm sure everyone will rip me to shreds for saying it, but all the making fun of Josie seems harsh.  I know the intent of this thread is to snark, but she's a micropreemie with developmental delays.  It's not her fault.  Two of my children are disabled....make fun of me and it rolls right off my back, but make fun of my kids and it cuts like a knife.  Maybe that makes me feel a little protective of Josie, or maybe not, I don't know.  But it just seems over the top, even for this board.

Does Josie have developmental issues?  I have not read that. I don't see anything indicating developmental issues. If it is true it must be minor. To me she is a precocious little girl who is the youngest of 19. Her activity during the wedding was very typical. 

• Love 3

my guess is no. In fact, they were probably told that their Lady Gardens were filthy, sin caves and to never look at them or touch them or think about them. I doubt they

even know that people trim the hedges.

Poor Derrick.

ETA: wait. Nevermind. Jill has seen her birthing moms' Lady Gardens, so maybe she knows about it.

There is nothing wrong with a grown woman having hair on her vulva and labia. It's not even "gross" to look like a grown woman instead of a prepubescent girl.

I want to make it clear that the reason I snark on Josie is because I think she is coddled and treated like a miracle princess by MEchelle- nothing to do with her developmental delays (if any). 

That is not a good reason to pick on a child IMO.

It's interesting that all of the THs are of JB -- J'chelle can't even fake an appropriate emotion for her daughter getting married.

Josie is a brat. I don't blame her, I blame her parents. Are they incapable of doing anything in moderation? It's either blanket training or no discipline at all. All kids are different. Some need more supervision and structure than others, and JB and J'chelle are just so done with parenting that they are not prepared to give Josie the attention she needs.

Cathy Dillard looked amazing. The woman checked out of the hospital the morning of the wedding. Her dress was beautiful -- understated and flattering. The jewelry was beautiful and tasteful. Her hair was impeccable. 

What is appropriate emotion when your daughter is getting married? Does everybody have to feel the same way to be appropriate? Not everybody shows how they feel.

• Love 9

One more observation: Why didn't the cans tied to the back of the getaway truck touch the ground?????? They are supposed to drag on the ground and make noise. 

There is nothing wrong with a grown woman having hair on her vulva and labia. It's not even "gross" to look like a grown woman instead of a prepubescent girl.

No one here said it was gross. No one said Jill should have a Brazilian wax. But I am sure that at least some of the Duggar women have hair sticking out of the sides of their underwear - that's not a great look, IMHO, especially with your special honeymoon undies on. Derrick has probably seen women/girls in swimwear who are groomed to at least the standards of pre-1990, so I hope Jill didn't show up with "sideburns." 

• Love 6

What made me uncomfortable was Michelle putting Derick on the spot to pray for his mom at the rehearsal dinner. Derick and his brother were obviously having a difficult time with their mom's illness and she made it awkward. He didn't look comfortable doing it.

• Love 7

Shabby wedding, yes. Chic, no!

Never heard of a "first look" for the bride/groom - not a fan of it at all. It takes away from the bride/groom seeing each other at the alter in their finery before God and no one else. The way it was done, she could have easily just went to a justice or mayor and gotten married there.

NO SHOES! NO SHOES!!?!?!?!?! Not even SOCKS! As soon as he lifted her up in the air and I saw dirty feet and curled up toes - how disgusting! At least if you are going to NOT wear shoes - keep the feet hidden at all times!!

The kiss at the alter was a mess, they should have at least practiced who was going to tilt the head when and where, etc. For a first kiss, it was very anti-climatic.

Running off the alter and out of the church was a disgrace. All I kept thinking of was them running to that broom closet and shutting the door and doing the freaky.

They spent so much time in planning this wedding, all these two kept thinking about was getting married quickly, making small talk with quests quickly, and getting the hell out and on their own. If they were intimate before the wedding, not saying have sex, but holding each other close or kissing, they would have enjoyed the day instead of rushing through it so they could be alone.

I thought the entire wedding was a disaster as soon as the I DO's were done.

I have no words for Josh and Ben - not only did the guests seem confused about Jill and Der running out of the church, but all 1,000 of them look bewildered by the shenanigans going on with Ben/Jess and Josh/Anna also leaving the alter.

Josh/Anna, stop it now please. No one cares about either of you and your marriage. These two irritate me.

Nothing wrong with seeing each other before the wedding

• Love 3

Oh my, I'm still in shock about the popcorn and root beer float refreshments. It is one thing to be thrifty but the Duggars are beyond cheap not to serve food. They didn't even have tables and chairs for the guest who stood outside after the wedding.

Families came in from California and around the country to attend this wedding. Presumably they all gave gifts and probably quite a few gave cash. In return they get a bag of popcorn?

Couldn't JB have spent a few thousand on some food? They could rent tables, chairs and get something modest like finger sandwiches.

Punch and cake weddings are very rare nowadays. I don't believe in blowing the family fortune on a wedding but it seemed disrespectful to guests to serve nothing of substance.

The Duggars are millionaires. I was embarrassed for them.

I love to snark but there is something very endearing about Jill, Jana and Joyanna.

I have no interest in the Jessa engagement and will not watch much. I hope Jana finds a soulmate soon, she has so much love to give.

Cathy appeared to be quite ill, oxygen dependent. I have not read much about her illness but I'm worried.

I don't think people are making fun of Josie when they snark about the miracle child. Many of us got sick of hearing about precious Josie when the same parents seemed so indifferent to the other precious kids.

• Love 9

A covenant marriage basically just prohibits a no-fault divorce. It does not make you super special or more godly, it just makes it more difficult to get out of bad marriage.

I think it really isn't special. People can still divorce.

• Love 1