Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Jill's Wedding

Did any of Michelle's extended family show up to this wedding? Very odd how they're never mentioned.

No idea whether or not any of Michelle's family attended Jill's wedding. But I do doubt it. I think her siblings are significantly older than her - and my personal guess is that none of them have any kind of real relationship with her. They might feel about Michelle much the same as I suspect the younger Duggar kids' feel about Josie.  She is tolerated but not really liked/accepted.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

I haven't kept up with rumors or speculation but is there any thought that they are purposely keeping courters from her because of the load she bears at home? It would put a lot back on Michelle, which is of course where it should be, if she let her workhorse get married and leave.

She's already been out of the house quite a bit. Being a doula sidekick to Jill's midwife training (did you see the amount of babies she's helped) and leading JTTH groups, visiting the Smuggars and missions doesn't leave a lot of time to be Michelle's mother's helper. I really think the Duggars are using more outside help then we see.

I guess my issue with this is that the wedding guests have shelled out money for transporation, lodging, and (expensive) gifts for Jill and her hubby. Add in the time the guests probably had to wait around for production and filming, the guests were probably starving. A cheap root beer float and some popcorn is an insult to the guests. Considering, JB could have comped the food by name dropping a catering company, his guests could have been well fed.

All I can really say is that all the weddings I've ever been to -- from small gatherings to large events -- have included food, but that is the tradition among people I know. I wouldn't refuse to attend a wedding, or think less of the people throwing it, if they served something appropriate to their culture. I might leave early and get take out . . .

I completely agree that JB is cheap, and I think they are grifters, but I don't really know that he cheaped out here. There were 1000 people at the wedding and he threw a big BBQ at his house for the out-of-town guests (or some special subset of guests), and according to other posters rented a lodge for out-of-town guests. If their culture is afternoon weddings with cake and punch, and he threw a lavish event with catered food it might have been really inappropriate in their culture.

The people who really got stiffed are the kids. I would guess that the guests arrived around 12:30 (for the 1PM wedding, right?). That would give them the opportunity to have a good breakfast, and even lunch. Figure in the ceremony and the 90 minute reception, and they would have left around 3PM -- plenty of time to get some dinner.

The kids, however, appear to have arrived at the church early with Jill and Derick. There would have been a morning full of waiting (for the little kids), and helping out (for the older ones), while pictures were taken, etc. Then the ceremony, and then finally something to eat around 2PM -- cake and root-beer floats -- and probably nothing substantial until the party back at the TTH @5PM

Joe Jitsu913 you are so right about the food. I've been to many weddings, none of them hosted by anyone who had a tv show. Yet, at each and every one, guests were treated to at least a simple meal. Even at cocktail receptions, there is usually plenty to eat. That's called hospitality. You don't invite people to a social event, expect them to travel a considerable distance at their own expense to be there, and then send them away with a small root beer float in a plastic cup. It's beyond cheap and it's thoroughly tacky. Speaking of cheap and tacky, I'll never believe that J'Chelle didn't borrow Kelly Bates' dress and add a stupid bib for modesty. It's just too coincidental that they would buy the same ugly ass mother of the bride dress. At least Kelly managed to look decent in it. I can't top the poster who likened it to the bride of the Tin Man on J'Chelle, so I won't even try.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 7

Yes, the early afternoon time is deliberately chosen to not provide a meal. You have a wedding that with light refreshments should be wrapped up easily by 4-5, depending on whether or not you took pictures before or after the ceremony. This allows the bride and groom the chance to fly out that night if they wish, or drive. My foolish husband and I drove six hours into Canada after our wedding! The things you will pull off at twenty and think nothing of!

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

For the most part, I LIKE the show. But I cannot sit through another right weeks watching the same sort of thing leading up to Jessa's wedding a few months from now. So I really hope that isn't what they are planning.

Well I suppose the good news is we already saw the bridesmaid dress and shoe shopping, so unless they re-air those episodes it should be a little shorter, right?

• Love 2

Cathy does look lovely. Isn't it likely, however, that her hair is actually a wig? I thought in the pictures they showed of Jill and Derick visiting her in the hospital the week before the wedding, Cathy was wearing a scarf or cap on her head, which makes me think she had lost her hair due to her treatment.

Yet she still looks classier and more put-together than Michelle.

It is a wig. Derick said after he spoke with her on the phone that she had her hair on and was getting her makeup done.

Some of my random thoughts as I've read over these nine pages of comments....

1. The $200,000 figure was in a pop-up box stating that if the Duggars spent the NATIONAL AVERAGE on each daughter's wedding it would total $200,000.

2. The girls' skin: one of the causes of acne is food allergies. I wonder if that tater tot casserole is doing them in. Or it could be processed foods. Or any of a variety of common foods. My hubby wasn't diagnosed until age 35 that he's allergic to pork. It wasn't life-threatening but did affect him in other ways.

3. We attend a mega church (non-denominational) with an auditorium similar in size and concept to Cross Church where this wedding was held. There are several reasons for having worship centers in this style. One is that they're adaptable for many kinds of events. Another is that studies have shown (yes, there is research about such things) that people, especially men, who have not been raised going to church don't like the typical church styles of stained glass windows, statues, flowers, etc. Auditoriums in the style of convention centers are seen as more "visitor friendly." Churches who want to be welcoming to visitors will often have buildings in this style.

4. Is it just me or is Anna starting to act like Michelle? I haven't watched this show very long, and tend to like Anna, but she was channeling Michelle with the bug eyes this episode.

5. I have no problem with the bride and groom seeing each other before the ceremony. We took our pictures before the ceremony so that we could enjoy the reception with our guests. That said, I will never, ever forget the look on hubby's face when he saw me in my dress the first time. This was 25 years ago, before "first look" pics were a "thing" but I sure wish I had a picture capturing that moment. It really was special. And it didn't lessen the impact of seeing him at the front of the church when I came down the aisle.

6. Our wedding day was a lot of fun. My dad took our family and the groom's family all out for breakfast. Then my hubby's mom and I went to the salon to have our hair done. After an afternoon wedding the families, along with the bridal party, extended family, and anyone who came from a distance, enjoyed a catered dinner at my parents house (backyard patio). We also opened our gifts that evening. This may be TMI, but we waited for sex until after the wedding but since we did more than hold hands, and didn't require chaperones during our dating, we did not feel it necessary to race to the hotel to consummate our marriage. There was no talk of babies, no winks, nudges, or knowing glances aimed our way. I continue to cringe at how Jill's family treated them about this.

7. I forget his exact words, but I believe we heard Derick say something about "no chaperones" as they were racing through the lobby. Poor man. I just can't comprehend committing your life to someone you've never had a private conversation with. Engagement is such an important time to make plans and discuss everything from where you're going to live to how you handle money to how many children you want to how you deal with conflict and many, many other topics. Having a ten-year-old brother or teenaged sister or a parent listening in is just out of line. I hope Derick and Jill can have some good heart-to-heart talks about what THEY want for their life and not simply assume they're going to be Jim Bob and Michelle 2.0.

8. Why did Michelle buy the same dress as Kelly Bates? Is she so out of touch that she didn't realize it? Or was she hoping to win the "who wore it better?" contest?

9. Count me as one who is interested in seeing how Jessa's wedding will be different. Hopefully we won't have to endure an entire season of wedding planning to find out.

(Edited because "first look" and "first time" are two entirely different things.)

Edited by Tahitigirl
  • Love 5

I wonder if J'chelle saw Kelly Bates in that dress, decided she looked good, and bought the same dress for herself. She has shown in the past that she has no fashion sense, and it could be that when she looks at herself she thinks she looks nice because Kelly looked nice in the same dress.

She is just too short and stocky to wear such a busy dress -- plus the modesty panel, plus the corsage, plus the crazy hair. As Tim Gunn would say "that's a lot of look."

• Love 2

I agree that It's a shame that Joan Rivers passed away and Fashion Police is off the air for now. The comments about J'Chelle's dress would have no doubt been hysterically funny.

Cathy is one classy lady. She was released from the hospital that day and still managed to look lovely and put together. J'Chelle should have stuck to her puffy sleeve green shirt and baggy denim skirt. Even that would have been an improvement over the tin foil fiasco. What an embarrassment.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 2

I think you hit the nail on the head. What was weird to me was how Jill and Derick were more lovey-dovey prior to the ceremony than they were after they were married and allowed to express more affection. They seemed stiff and uncomfortable at the reception. It reminded me of two 13 year-olds on an awkward first date rather than two grown adults who knew each other well enough to commit for the rest of their lives. Maybe there was a bit of a letdown after so much attention and hype.

Maybe that's why I liked the whole "first look" thing - it seemed like they were pretty lovey dovey there. I agree with you but in a lot of ways they really were kind of 13 year olds on their first date...

Somewhat OT but at my wedding I know for a fact that both my husband and I were awkward in front of our 120-or-so guests, and we knew all of them well. I can't even imagine how weird it would've been for Derick and Jill to be in front of 1,000 people that they may or may not know, finally able to even hug for the first time, not to mention the ick-factor that most of the guests were probably thinking "oooohhhh now they can have sex and make babies!"  Not too many girls/women run around carrying a sign saying "I'm about to kiss for the first time!  I'm about to have sex for the first time!" plus have it televised. I imagine they were a whole lot more comfortable once they got away from all that chaos.

• Love 1
cmr2014, on 29 Oct 2014 - 9:25 PM, said:

The people who really got stiffed are the kids. I would guess that the guests arrived around 12:30 (for the 1PM wedding, right?). That would give them the opportunity to have a good breakfast, and even lunch. Figure in the ceremony and the 90 minute reception, and they would have left around 3PM -- plenty of time to get some dinner.

The kids, however, appear to have arrived at the church early with Jill and Derick. There would have been a morning full of waiting (for the little kids), and helping out (for the older ones), while pictures were taken, etc. Then the ceremony, and then finally something to eat around 2PM -- cake and root-beer floats -- and probably nothing substantial until the party back at the TTH @5PM

I wonder about all the volunteers. I read there were hundreds.  I am guessing many of them arrived hours before the wedding started and I imagine many of them stayed till well after the "reception" to clean up. I bet they were starving by the time they left.  I guess if you are a volunteer in this culture you know to pack yourself a lunch to bring along, or you end up loading up on cupcakes, cookies and lemonade to stave off hunger.

So do the dozens of cameramen, sound people, producers etc, NOT count as chaperones? WHY not?

It's ON CAMERA people! How many more people need to be around to be sure they don't have sex?????

I doubt the production team is going to stop in modest behavior

This whole thing just felt like a 'permission to bang each other' ceremony rather than a uniting of two people.  

Thank you!  I agree!!!  I found it really strange myself, I usually cry at weddings, even on TV, but did not shed one tear all night.

• Love 1

Hysterical!!!!

I was gross.

Thank you!  I agree!!!  I found it really strange myself, I usually cry at weddings, even on TV, but did not shed one tear all night.

Me too! I'm usually a real cry-baby.

One more thing: when I saw Anna, already in her custom-fitted bridesmaid dress, carrying Marcus around, I thought, "What if he throws up on her or his diaper leaks (which already happened in one episode) all over that dress"; isn't he still of an age to do such things?  These people can't stop their obsession with babies for one minute; couldn't someone else have held him or just put him down?  It's the same thing where I currently reside (every woman over 18 just lives for babies and over 50, for grandbabies), and it drives me nuts!  Childless by choice.

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 5

Back to Michelle's MOB dress ensemble.  Did anyone else notice that she was wearing a different necklace with the dress in the show on Tuesday than she was wearing in photos that surfaced back in July? Talk about "a lot of look"...that dress really didn't need any necklace, it was plenty busy enough all by itself. The necklace in the July photos was a longer multi-strand affair with large silver blobs and looked horrible.  The one she was wearing to other night was a single strand and much shorter.  Wonder what the deal is with the two different necklaces supposedly worn at the same time/same event.

Well, I thought that Jill looked a hot mess.  Her hair was frizzy, and her makeup looked blah.  In my opinion, she didn't appear fresh as she was coming down the aisle.  She had been running around all morning.  She should have been relaxing somewhere with a nice and comfy robe, having a cup of tea and getting her hair and face expertly done.  Knowing that her feet were bare and dirty--eww.  Not a good look, and I don't recommend Jessa do it.

I did see some white flip flops in the girl's prep room, so I'm thinking that she actually wore them outside. I can see her going barefoot down the carpeted aisle in the church, but donning flip flops for the outdoor reception. Stepping in sticky spilled root beer float and cake crumbs outside (in addition to rocks and possibly glass)  makes a likely scenario for the flippy flops.  

As far as the hair and make up, why in the holy hell were we subjected and bored with an entire episode of the girls getting their hair and make-up professionally done, if they weren't going to actually USE the styles for the wedding? (rhetorical question...thanks for the filler TLC) They basically did their hair like they usually do. They didn't go to the salon in the morning and the hair and make up girls didn't come style them at the church. Jill could have used a deep conditioning if she wanted to wear her hair long. 

The photographer has the pics on her Facebook page. There are a couple close ones of Jessa. The cheap Cover Girl make up and bad diet have really taken a toll on Jessa Blessa's skin. 

You've still got a few days, Jessa. RUN. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Save yourself from the stupid. 

• Love 5

A couple of things I just don't get.

Why the no shoes on Jill?

Why was the bridal party running down the aisle after they were married? That looked ridiculous. Is that some kind of tradition?

Why do all the Duggar girls (who I happen to think are all very pretty) Have extremely large heads and very small shoulders? Anybody else notice that?

There was absolutely nothing shabby chic about that wedding and nothing vintage about Jills dress. The little kids did look adorable, though.

• Love 2

Why do all the Duggar girls (who I happen to think are all very pretty) Have extremely large heads and very small shoulders? Anybody else notice that?

There was absolutely nothing shabby chic about that wedding and nothing vintage about Jills dress. The little kids did look adorable, though.

I think their shoulders look small because of their big hair.  Their hair overwhelms their upper bodies.  

Isn't "shabby chic" their usual style?

• Love 1

Joe Jitsu913 you are so right about the food. I've been to many weddings, none of them hosted by anyone who had a tv show. Yet, at each and every one, guests were treated to at least a simple meal. Even at cocktail receptions, there is usually plenty to eat. That's called hospitality. You don't invite people to a social event, expect them to travel a considerable distance at their own expense to be there, and then send them away with a small root beer float in a plastic cup. It's beyond cheap and it's thoroughly tacky.

ITA. I can't imagine going to a wedding ceremony and being given only cake, popcorn, and root beer floats. I get that it's their 'culture' but it's ridiculous to me. I'm not saying Jill and Derrick needed to spend an obscene amount of money on a five course dinner, but how hard would it have been to get a simple spread of rolls, veggies with dressing/dipping, mashed potatoes, chicken, etc.? I have no doubt that they could have easily found a catering company or supermarket in their state willing to provide the food for free or at a steep discount in exchange for publicity. Not everyone who attended  was from their fundie part of the world - I bet Derrick had college friends who most likely have attended traditional wedding receptions.

So I travel to your wedding, buy you a decent gift, sit around during filming (which is boring as heck, in my experience), and I get a root beer float...yeah, no.

• Love 2

At one point, it seemed Derick slipped and said this wasn't the real wedding. Was there another wedding?  

Also, they looked stupid running down the aisle.  Looked desperate to get away.

"I did see some white flip flops in the girl's prep room, so I'm thinking that she actually wore them outside."  Both Jill and Joy were clearly shown walking barefoot through the parking lot (with Derrick who, to his credit, wore shoes) when arriving at the church for the ceremony, and Jill's feet were clearly shown FILTHY on the bottom when Derrick scooped her up in his arms after the ceremony.  That is just nasty!

• Love 4

ITA. I can't imagine going to a wedding ceremony and being given only cake, popcorn, and root beer floats. I get that it's their 'culture' but it's ridiculous to me. I'm not saying Jill and Derrick needed to spend an obscene amount of money on a five course dinner, but how hard would it have been to get a simple spread of rolls, veggies with dressing/dipping, mashed potatoes, chicken, etc.? I have no doubt that they could have easily found a catering company or supermarket in their state willing to provide the food for free or at a steep discount in exchange for publicity. Not everyone who attended  was from their fundie part of the world - I bet Derrick had college friends who most likely have attended traditional wedding receptions.

It depends on what your tradition is. I'm a northern Catholic by birth, most of the receptions I went to as a kid were full out - full bar, full meal, money dances, big checks being passed to the couple, etc. Then I moved south and wound up at a Methodist college and believe me, the spread Jill put out for her guests was a veritable feast compared to some of the weddings I've been to here. The afternoon weddings I've been to have cake, punch with 7-up, cookies and those little mints that somebody's Mom makes using candy molds. If you're lucky there may be some peanuts and pretzels. So it may not be YOUR tradition, but it IS the tradition in some places.

• Love 8

ahhhh the little mints made from rubber molds. We made ours in different colors with different flavors other than mint and my memory may be faulty but I think cream cheese too. Anyway they tasted like cream cheese frosting and were yummy.  

• Love 1

A lot of weddings in the South have finger food at the reception.  No sit down dinner or heavy foods.  Shrimp, veggies & dip, cocktail wieners, different types of sandwiches, Brie, mints, cheese straws, peanuts and a few other things.  If you are having your reception in a Baptist Church, then you will have punch to drink (no alcohol) and of course a piece of the wedding cake. Some will even serve Rumaki and Heart of Palm.  Most figure you will eat before you come.

Or you could be lucky and the reception is a b-b-que one-now that can be very messy.

If you are an out of towner and you arrive the day before the wedding, tradition states that you will be invited to the Rehearsal Dinner, which is the sit down dinner.

Edited by iluvobx
  • Love 6

I usually cry at weddings, even on TV, but did not shed one tear all night.

Nothing about Jill/Derick and the actual ceremony made me cry, but I did tear up when Dan toasted the bride and groom and told Derick he was proud of him; I also teared up when we first saw Cathy, and whenever the camera showed Joy's tears.

Joy touches my heart; she and Jill are obviously so close, and I'm not sure either of her "real" parents ever pays a whole lot of attention to her. In a recent episode, Jill talked about Joy's having been her "real-live baby doll" from the moment she was born, and Joy just beamed; you can tell she needs the love and affection that she gets from Jill. I don't think for a moment that Jill is going to "dump" her buddy group now that she's married, but what a change that has to be for poor Joy, and for the little girls as well.

• Love 2

It depends on what your tradition is. I'm a northern Catholic by birth, most of the receptions I went to as a kid were full out - full bar, full meal, money dances, big checks being passed to the couple, etc. Then I moved south and wound up at a Methodist college and believe me, the spread Jill put out for her guests was a veritable feast compared to some of the weddings I've been to here. The afternoon weddings I've been to have cake, punch with 7-up, cookies and those little mints that somebody's Mom makes using candy molds. If you're lucky there may be some peanuts and pretzels. So it may not be YOUR tradition, but it IS the tradition in some places.

I understand that. I already said that I get it's their culture. I'm Baptist and up North, so I've never been to that kind of wedding. Thankfully, my culture views weddings as a chance to celebrate and enjoy some delicious meals. Derrick and Jill's wedding would have been a pain and tacky to me as a guest, but that's my opinion. I'm not saying it has to be the opinion of everyone else.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Nothing about Jill/Derick and the actual ceremony made me cry, but I did tear up when Dan toasted the bride and groom and told Derick he was proud of him; I also teared up when we first saw Cathy, and whenever the camera showed Joy's tears.

Joy touches my heart; she and Jill are obviously so close, and I'm not sure either of her "real" parents ever pays a whole lot of attention to her. In a recent episode, Jill talked about Joy's having been her "real-live baby doll" from the moment she was born, and Joy just beamed; you can tell she needs the love and affection that she gets from Jill. I don't think for a moment that Jill is going to "dump" her buddy group now that she's married, but what a change that has to be for poor Joy, and for the little girls as well.

I believe Joyless is also terrified or horrified -- or both -- at the prospect of being in charge of the howlers.  It was obvious in the "dinner theatre" episode that she has no control over them whatsoever ("Immediately obey!") and has no natural talent nor affinity for child-corralling...

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 1

Unless I'm a local friend of the Duggars, then I'm just sending a gift and card in the mail. As a guest I'd have to get myself there, get a hotel room, sit through the circus, and like a circus, have popcorn and floats. Nah. I'd rather send the set of towels or whatever was on the registry, and get on with my life. Surely these thousand guests are mostly local Looky Lous who go to Cross Church.

I don't get why Amy wasn't asked to be a bridesmaid rather than Hannie. Maybe Jill's kool aid drinking ways have her relationship with Amy at a distance. I wonder if Jennifer Hartono was ever considered? Why Anna, or why not a Bates? I thought they were "suuuch good friends."

• Love 2

I agree with all of this. As far as quirky traditions and little details, at the end of the day if the Bride and Groom liked the wedding then the rest of us can shove it - that goes for every wedding since pretty much every wedding has people who thought it was badly done. The things that bugged me about this wedding were related to the treatment of the couple and the marriage. For all the talk of the sanctity of marriage, it just didn't have the feel of a ceremony that unites two people or creates a family. It lacked that kind of intimacy - and I'm not talking kissing or sex. It doesn't have anything to do with the setting or the 'fanciness or lack there of'. I've been to a wedding set in a person's living room with just a few people dressed in normal clothes and a minister. But the intimacy just permeated the room. I don't doubt that Jill and Derick are fond of each other. But with no time alone to build that relationship, you just don't see that intimate connection. And you don't need a physical relationship to develop that intimacy, but you do need time alone and an ability to really give yourself over emotionally to the other person. This whole thing just felt like a 'permission to bang each other' ceremony rather than a uniting of two people.

I have also been to a much smaller wedding where the bride barely had any friends or family. But the minister had known her & her mom & dad for years & added some personal reflections on how he had watched her grow. It really added to what could have been just a usual repeating of the vows ceremony.

Even though they had the same minister as Boob & MEchelle, there wasn't that personal feel that he even knew Jill. It was a shame they couldn't have had a minister from Derick's church either officiate or co-officiate with the ceremony.

I thought it was sort of weird when they were lighting the Unity candle, Derick explained that it was the joining of him & Jill as one. I always think of the Unity candle as also joining the two families together, not just the bride & groom but I don't think he mentioned that.

For all the snide remarks about Josh & Anna's, Priscilla's, & the Bates' weddings, they all seemed much more like a wedding should be, not just a ceremony so you are allowed to get it on. I think part of it was the venue, but the Dillards wedding couldn't compare to Jeremy & Audrey Roloff's wedding which I thought was great.

Did J & D go to the "after reception" at the compound? I just thought with all the hoopla about Jill's dress, she didn't get to wear it for long if the church reception was only for an hour (compared to a 4 hr reception which I am used to.)

• Love 1

So I travel to your wedding, buy you a decent gift, sit around during filming (which is boring as heck, in my experience), and I get a root beer float...yeah, no.

But then they would have had to rent tables and chairs. Or I suppose they could've made guests try to eat chicken and mashed potatoes while standing up, but they might've had to get higher quality paper plates and utensils in that case. I mean the costs could've just spiraled out of control... </sarcasm>

• Love 6

I don't know if this has been said already, I haven't read thru all the posts. Michelle's & Kelly Bates dresses were 2 different dresses. Michelle's was long & Kelly's was shorter, tea length. I thought they were the same dress originally but it was posted after the wedding in June it was 2 dresses. Plus Kelly's looked a little different in the chest area but it could have been her modesty alterations were much better done than Michelle's bib. I don't know all the time frames of the weddings, but I think Kelly wore the dress again at Alyssa's wedding. (Loved Alyssa's pink stilettos).

But then they would have had to rent tables and chairs. Or I suppose they could've made guests try to eat chicken and mashed potatoes while standing up, but they might've had to get higher quality paper plates and utensils in that case. I mean the costs could've just spiraled out of control... </sarcasm>

JB couldn't find "used food" left over from another wedding or buffet? 

A co-worker of mine, after her daughter's wedding. told me the venue was putting the wedding left-overs on their buffet to re-sell it. I would have called  the Health Dept on them, myself.

• Love 2

It's interesting that Jim Bob referred to it as an auditorium, not the church or the sanctuary ... it's just an auditorium to them. It's not holy, sacred or consecrated ground. 

I can only speak for myself, but I have interacted with friends from quite a few protestant denominations, and I've never been aware of ANYONE considering the space where we worship sacred or consecrated. It's special because it has been set-aside for worship, but it's not endowed with any special spiritual qualities.

Worship is internal, and of course it can take place irrespective of the surroundings. On the other hand, just because a congregation chooses not to incorporate a lot of church-y trappings or religious symbology into their worship center, that doesn't mean they don't consider the place special. Different strokes.

Many, may Baptists refer to their worship area as an auditorium.  Where Methodists and Lutherans, etc. would call it the sanctuary, Baptists that I've known tend not to use that word for the facility.

Funny--I grew up Lutheran and have tons of Lutheran relatives, and I have never heard a Lutheran call the worship area a sanctuary.  ("Nave" is probably the term I've heard used most often in Lutheran circles.) On the other hand, I've visited/attended dozens of Baptist churches and hear them call the worship center a sanctuary all the time! I guess we're going to have to agree that there are regional variations in usage. :-)

3. We attend a mega church (non-denominational) with an auditorium similar in size and concept to Cross Church where this wedding was held. There are several reasons for having worship centers in this style. One is that they're adaptable for many kinds of events. Another is that studies have shown (yes, there is research about such things) that people, especially men, who have not been raised going to church don't like the typical church styles of stained glass windows, statues, flowers, etc. Auditoriums in the style of convention centers are seen as more "visitor friendly." Churches who want to be welcoming to visitors will often have buildings in this style.

Well said! 

The only thing I'd like to add--and pardon me if I have misinterpreted this--is that some people on this thread seem to be using the term "mega church" as somehow synonymous wth the modern floor plan. There are small, medium, and large churches that employ the stagelike floor plan. As I said previously, a few days ago I visited a Presbyterian church in my area with a completely modern layout, and I'd estimate its seating capacity at only about 250.

I hope to goodness they had the good sense to set up a snack room. Every wedding I've been part of, someone has organized a place in the church where the family and wedding party can pop in to grab a simple, non-messy snack and a bottle of water or Sprite (because they won't stain your clothes if there's a spill!).

Edited by Portia

ITA. I can't imagine going to a wedding ceremony and being given only cake, popcorn, and root beer floats. I get that it's their 'culture' but it's ridiculous to me.

But, but, you'd get to be on teevee! And, maybe even get your gift into their house that might be shown on the show! Can you imagine seeing your towel set being held by JILL on national television?!?!?? You could take a picture and even post on your FB page. Maybe Jill would like your post. I'm about to faint. I want one of those yummy floats again!

• Love 4

JB couldn't find "used food" left over from another wedding or buffet? 

A co-worker of mine, after her daughter's wedding. told me the venue was putting the wedding left-overs on their buffet to re-sell it. I would have called  the Health Dept on them, myself.

Ewww... seriously?  I don't have a problem with them giving it away to staff or to those in need if it's been stored properly - better than throwing it out - but selling it or using it for another event is just wrong in my opinion. Back on topic I think I'd rather eat barely frozen root beer floats and some sheet cake than leftovers from another buffet, so I suppose that's a positive for the Jill/Derick wedding food. The jars of pickles looked fresh too.

At one point, it seemed Derick slipped and said this wasn't the real wedding. Was there another wedding?  

Also, they looked stupid running down the aisle.  Looked desperate to get away.

THEY WERE! To get away from nutty Michelle and that nut-house.

• Love 1

All the Duggars--boys and girls--have freakishly large wedge-shaped heads.

Yes they tend to have large noggins.  Especially the ones that have wide faces, like Joy, Jana, Josh, Jessa, James, etc.  I believe the Emotionless Android has mentioned this when discussing her favorite topic of all time---childbirth,  She said something like how the big heads make it even harder to deliver and mentioned that as soon as most of them were born, she could identify the "Duggar head".  

I'm curious--have the Duggars ever discussed their ancestry?  I would assume they are mainly English/Scots-Irish (I believe Duggar is Scottish and Ruark is English), from colonial American stock that has been in the South for many generations.  I wonder if the Duggars went to Scotland and England for that reason?

• Love 1

Yes they tend to have large noggins. Especially the ones that have wide faces, like Joy, Jana, Josh, Jessa, James, etc. I believe the Emotionless Android has mentioned this when discussing her favorite topic of all time---childbirth, She said something like how the big heads make it even harder to deliver and mentioned that as soon as most of them were born, she could identify the "Duggar head".

I'm curious--have the Duggars ever discussed their ancestry? I would assume they are mainly English/Scots-Irish (I believe Duggar is Scottish and Ruark is English), from colonial American stock that has been in the South for many generations. I wonder if the Duggars went to Scotland and England for that reason?

Jim Bob is indeed Scottish. Michelle is Irish. They have mentioned it on the show.

I'm of the personal opinion that there is also some German ancestry in there as well. Just my personal opinion though. Geneology is fascinating to me.

• Love 3