Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/27/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Sadly, on every show I've seen, the response is the same:  women may find catcalls an annoyance but once the attention stops, those same women are desperate for that behavior to return.  Ugh.  I'm trying my best but there are just so many men I can take down with my "if looks could kill" face upon being told to "SMILE!!!".

• Love 7

Hear, hear, backformore. That was exactly what I was thinking WRT the catcalls. Maybe Rosie P being a celebrity is used to people calling out to her but most women do not appreciate unwanted attention, no matter how complimentary others would judge it. Just last week RP was talking about being bullied due to her appearance when she was a kid. You'd think she'd be more sensitive to women who just want to be left alone.

Despite the scolding its clear the View women still don't get it.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7

I missed the segment yesterday.... but on today's show Rosie P was saying that people were upset because they thought she condoned harassment..... and she said that was not her stance.... and that was why she was upset because people were attributing things to her that she did not say..

That was when Whoopi said people should pay more attention to what they say.

Maybe Rosie P being a celebrity is used to people calling out to her but most women do not appreciate unwanted attention, no matter how complimentary others would judge it.

These co-hosts are women who are used to performing in public & thus receiving attention from strangers -- they may even seek it & find it gratifying, which is why they became entertainers in the first place.  Not all women feel that way, but perhaps these people who love the limelight are unable to understand & appreciate that.  I think they're exhibitionists & they think I'm a prude, so it's not surprising if we don't feel the the same way about this subject.

• Love 5

Despite the scolding its clear the View women still don't get it.

I hope people continue to tweet Rosie P.  All the ladies completely missed the point yesterday.  They had a chance today to rectify that, to apologize, to rethink and understand the issue and maybe make a difference in how people see this.  But, no, they decide to blame the viewers.  We're not listening or understanding them.  I think Nicolle didn't agree, but she didn't really speak up.  Rosie O. was very quiet during the discussion and the Christie discussion.  I hope that is her choice and not some producer telling her what her role is.

• Love 7

I missed the segment yesterday.... but on today's show Rosie P was saying that people were upset because they thought she condoned harassment..... and she said that was not her stance.... and that was why she was upset because people were attributing things to her that she did not say..

That was when Whoopi said people should pay more attention to what they say.

Yes, and they didn't say anything that was CONDONING the catcalls exactly.   They just gave the topic NO serious attention, dismissing the concerns by saying they like being "complimented".  Part of the feedback was not about what they SAID, but what they didn't say, and how quickly they turned the topic into a joke. 

What they termed flattery and compliments was based on their experiences -  being celebrities, with money, being driven places, etc.  If they want to have an actual DISCUSSION about the topic, talk to women who carry pepper spray on public transportation because they live in buildings without doormen, work late shifts, live alone, etc.  

Sorry, this is a sore subject for me.  Catcalls sometimes turn into ugliness and sexual assault, and women can't tell a man's intentions by the first few words he says.

• Love 10

I never thought that this season would be the season that finally made me give up the nasty habit of watching this show. I haven't seen today's show yet, but I have it DVR'd. I am going to see for myself what they said and then I am going to delete it from the Tivo. I can no longer in good conscience support it. Did anyone see The Daily Show's moment of Zen last night? It was a Fox "news" take on the harassment video-it was only slightly worse than The View's.

ETA: I am glad to see that so many women on this board feel the same way I do about the catcalling. IT happened to me once at a carnival when my husband and I were first dating-he was with me. The carnival worker announced to the crowd that I had the "Biggest breasts on the midway"-it is a long story but it made us both feel very unsafe in a crowd and ultimately made us leave. I have so many stories of it happening and I think it has contributed to the anxiety that I have about being out in public.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 6

Anyone else notice the clip of the "team" around Whoopie's seat while Rosie was rapping?  I thought maybe Whoopie had a medical emergency. 

This looks like the Whoopie G show with other members as acts to be brought on when Queen Whoop points her finger.  I have never seen Rosie so laid back as she has been this week.  She is collecting a fat check (probably) and she is there to bring those of us who enjoyed her last efforts back to watching The View.  Good for you Rosie!!!  If you leave again I'm leaving too.

Edited by Dizzy9
  • Love 3
I'm trying my best but there are just so many men I can take down with my "if looks could kill" face upon being told to "SMILE!!!".

I've always been outgoing and friendly (confident too, I'd say), but it did get tiring in my 20s to hear "SMILE!" so often.  One of my sons said I might have had what's called "resting bitchface."  If I'm not animated, people think I'm unhappy.  In my 20's I'd roll my eyes...or I'd do a fake grin.  If I were that girl today, I might just say, "Fuck off!"  Someone would probably smack me.

• Love 3
Personally I'm tired of all the youtube clips of kids and pictures and videos of the hosts kids or grandkids or family members.

Good point, CMH1981...and usually they're showing these videos/clips long after many have already seen them online or on our local news.  I'd like to name their "Hot Topics" segments, "Rehash the Hash."

• Love 7
OTOH (and definitely not the woman in the video) some women think it is wonderful. Ugh. I can think of a former host that would be thrilled it happened to her.

Oh, MaggieMae, you bring a tear to the eye.  How I miss the show playing right now in my mind on THAT topic commandeered by THAT former co-host who left the show "on her own" after God reminded her of His seven-year-plan.  

• Love 7

Regarding Rosie's anecdote about the gun: my point wasn't that some kids like to shoot BB guns, but that Rosie has been so vociferous about not having guns in the house, why would she let the older one own one? And where is the consequence to the older one for having it near where the younger one would find it?

She has said that after Columbine she was so depressed that she couldn't get out of bed for days. She famously had a fight with Tom Selleck about guns. And now it's just, tee hee, my boys like to shoot guns.

Her sense of value is so out of whack - I think true colors are starting to show.

• Love 4

Personally I'm tired of all the youtube clips of kids 

Major pet peeve in this house.  My husband & I always yell (well no, not really) "If I wanted to watch youtube videos, I'd go to youtube!!"   Grrr.  Edited to clarify: My husband does not watch the View and would be appalled knowing that I mistakenly implied that he did.  I meant when he watches his shows and they waste time on this youtube crap..

and pictures and videos of the hosts kids or grandkids or family members.

This, too.  I can barely garner up enough (fake) interest & enthusiasm for this shit in my own life; I am really not the least bit interested in theirs.  Okay, unless it's Rosie O's kids, then I am actually interested because I feel like I have "known" them since birth.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 4

I agree about Rosie O's kids, I grew up watching her original talk show and remember when she finally announced the arrival of Parker, and the rest of her brood.  I feel I know them as well, and yes I realize that is a weird thing to say.

When they introduce these videos from youtube or whatever nonsense we don't get the hot topics we were promised at the start of the show.  I remember that we never got the story and discussion of that Honey Boo-Boo story from this week, and in weeks past stories regarding Emma Watson, and others.  I hate that we are promised discussion in hot topics of stuff I want to hear about and we get these damn viral videos that are pointless.

• Love 2

If by chance a member of The View production staff or any other person that may have access to the show's producers reads here, I have a note for you: we, the audience, watch this show with the hope of being entertained, challenged and hopefully, on occasion, inspired. We DO NOT watch to be scolded and shouted at by a rude, loud-mouthed, uptight know-it-all like Whoopi Goldberg for having very legitimate concerns about the way the show handled the "catcall" segment. That was incredibly insulting. You all took a bad situation and made it worse by allowing (or perhaps encouraging) that condescending little rant.

I realize I should not speak for the entire audience, so I apologize in advance if I've offended any of my fellow posters.

• Love 19

Had to laugh at Whoopi telling us to take a bathroom break or get something to eat during the commercials!  Aren't we supposed to watch commercials.  And what about the inhouse commercials.  They to be used for bathroom breaks too? :-)

• Love 4

They didn't jonesingjay.  It was one of the many hot topics that they have mentioned in the opening credits that they would cover, but seem to run out of time by discussing other hot topics that go on too long or end up sharing youtube videos and stories of birthday wishes for friends that are turning 60, oh wait, actually 50....b/c that is soooo funny.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

Alfred Enoch was charming. I don't watch Murder, but in the clip they showed I thought his American accent was particularly good. If I didn't know he was a Brit I would have thought it was his natural accent. That said, he was slightly less convincing when they insisted that he pop into it briefly on stage, but I can forgive him for that. Whoopi pulled a Barbara by asking him to perform on demand.

I had to laugh out loud when RosieO stepped in it a bit about Chris Christie's wife standing behind him smiling like a loon while he bullied that guy. Funny.

Chris Christie - ugh. I get what some people like about him, but he stands no chance in a national general election. I hate political doublespeak and appreciate straight talk, but he is just a loud, arrogant, obnoxious bully. While that behavior may play in some parts of the country, the vast majority of voters, including Republicans, find his behavior extremely distasteful and unprofessional and certainly not befitting of the office of the POTUS. I agree that Jeb Bush on the other hand could make a formidable Republican candidate. Love him or hate him, at least he knows how to conduct himself like a civilized, relatively diplomatic adult.

• Love 9

Jaded, thank you for providing the feedback link. I am so glad that many of us on this site feel the same way about the catcalling video discussion. I have removed the show from my DVR and I am done with it. This is the first time I have ever written the show to express my dismay at their support for women's issues despite so may egregious comments in the past-this was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 4

So, Taylor Swift was there, and so was an audience filled with her biggest fans.  Her main target audience is not those over 21, and it didn't look like many in the audience were over 21.  So, we give you Bethany Frankel, everyone, here to promote cocktails, and cocktails have cute and funny names, are pretty colors, and they are accessories, implied to say something about you!  And GUESS WHAT??  Everyone in the audience is getting a copy!!  (I noticed, and appreciated, Rosie's boredom and disengagement with this interview.)

Add to that - Bethany Frankel quite possibly has a raging eating disorder, and the whole "Skinny Girl" concept feeds into the pro ana lifestyle - poorly planned.

• Love 6

Here's a way to give programming feedback to ABC through their site. Maybe if enough of us fill the form out it may get back to the people in charge at The View which I'm trying hard not to call The Spew right now.

http://abc.go.com/feedback

This was my feedback comment.

I have been watching for a few years now, back to when Rosie was first a host. This issue is about Whoopi. She has just recently started making noises when other people talk..... some uh huhs and other sounds while they are talking. This is new, I dont remember Whoopi doing this previously.

It is distracting and kinda annoying when trying to listen to the other people.

• Love 5

Alfred Enoch was charming. I don't watch Murder, but in the clip they showed I thought his American accent was particularly good. If I didn't know he was a Brit I would have thought it was his natural accent. That said, he was slightly less convincing when they insisted that he pop into it briefly on stage, but I can forgive him for that. Whoopi pulled a Barbara by asking him to perform on demand.

I had to laugh out loud when RosieO stepped in it a bit about Chris Christie's wife standing behind him smiling like a loon while he bullied that guy. Funny.

Chris Christie - ugh. I get what some people like about him, but he stands no chance in a national general election. I hate political doublespeak and appreciate straight talk, but he is just a loud, arrogant, obnoxious bully. While that behavior may play in some parts of the country, the vast majority of voters, including Republicans, find his behavior extremely distasteful and unprofessional and certainly not befitting of the office of the POTUS. I agree that Jeb Bush on the other hand could make a formidable Republican candidate. Love him or hate him, at least he knows how to conduct himself like a civilized, relatively diplomatic adult.

Christie is way too thin skinned to represent America..... personally I have no idea why New Jersey fell for his nastiness

• Love 8

Did they discuss the honey boo boo controversy? I thought I saw on yesterday's preview, that they were going to discuss it today.

They did briefly and all agreed that dating a child molester is a bad thing. They were amused when announcing that the show was cancelled the whole audience cheered.

Rosie Perez said, transcribed more or less, "This happens to me, it's weird for me to say that it happens to me, and I have to say unless the man is really perverted and disrespectful I don't mind a man saying Mami you look good, and I say thank you, but when they become like weird like that one guy following her that is so wrong it is so so scary."  I see absolutely nothing wrong with this statement.  I completely agree that the audience is to blame if they misunderstood what she said.  The entire video is 90% non threatening.  I'm completely with Michael Che who thinks its a non-controversy.  The guys that followed her were scary, but the ones who just asked her how she was doing?  They really tried hard to get that 2 minutes in 10 hours of footage.

And where is the consequence to the older one for having it near where the younger one would find it?

Rosie doesn't allow BB guns in her house, she explained in Askro she didn't even know it was in her house and it is now gone.  As for how she punishes a 19 year old, I'm sure she can't do much.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 5
I thought Rosie O said they were no longer going to have reality show people as guests. Bethany May have had a short run with a talk show but her main gig was on a reality show.

Yeah...talk show failed but for some reason (did we learn this on The View) she's going back to her reality roots, RHONY.

I tried several times to submit my comment in that ABC format.  It never worked.  Here's what I tried to say in the number of characters allowed:

If I believed in God I'd thank Her that RosieO is no longer mugging for/at the camera daily as she walks onstage.  I'd thank Her that RosieO no longer checks the monitor while we're watching (she has more TV experience than the other co-hosts who have NOT done that). 
It's disappointing that the women on the panel were so dismissive of the message given in the video demonstrating the rude, scary treatment by men of a woman walking alone.  Are all four of them so out of touch?

• Love 5

I tried several times to submit my comment in that ABC format.  It never worked.  Here's what I tried to say in the number of characters allowed:

If I believed in God I'd thank Her that RosieO is no longer mugging for/at the camera daily as she walks onstage.  I'd thank Her that RosieO no longer checks the monitor while we're watching (she has more TV experience than the other co-hosts who have NOT done that). 

It's disappointing that the women on the panel were so dismissive of the message given in the video demonstrating the rude, scary treatment by men of a woman walking alone.  Are all four of them so out of touch?

It just worked for me but I had to turn my adblocker off to get it to submit. Hopefully if they get enough complaints we'll hear about it.

• Love 1

I don't have much to add to the way they [mis]handled the catcalling discussion, but I noticed RosieO was the only one who said she felt alarmed when it happens to her wife.  Also, I used to work for a major commercial contractor downtown and the company policy then [and I'm sure now] was zero tolerance: yell anything at a woman on the street and lose your job.  The foreman and job supervisors enforced it when they had to - which wasn't very often because everyone was aware of the policy. 

Had to laugh at Whoopi telling us to take a bathroom break or get something to eat during the commercials!  Aren't we supposed to watch commercials.  And what about the inhouse commercials.  They to be used for bathroom breaks too? :-)

I laughed too - very professional Whoop.  Between handing out cocktail recipe books to teen girls and making the guest do his American accent on demand, plus half a dozen other things already mentioned and despite the three new smart co-hosts I feel like the show is devolving right back into The Spew. 

Whoopi: Y'all really have to pay attention to what we're really saying up here. Sometimes we say things we had no inclination to say.

Uh, okay.

And I'm really REALLY glad folks on Twitter called Rosie P on her catcall comments yesterday.

I thought Whoopi ranting at the viewers was ridiculous.  We know she doesn't give two cents about what anyone else thinks but abc should - especially when ratings are slipping.  Speaking of which, thank you very much Jaded for the abc feedback link.  I can't believe I actually used it, but I did! 

Another longstanding contradiction [loved your examples Dreamboat Annie!] is Whoopi bitching about Christie and her NJ taxes yet ranting on public schools. Every time she does this I wonder how bright Whoopi really is. 

I thought Rosie O said they were no longer going to have reality show people as guests. Bethany May have had a short run with a talk show but her main gig was on a reality show.

I doubt RO has any veto power over booking a guest, but as a big Real Housewives of NY watcher [as in seen every episode] - I loved that RO had no idea who Bethenny really was.  Ha!

edited to credit Dreamboat Annie's post which I incorrectly credited to another great poster.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this statement.  I completely agree that the audience is to blame if they misunderstood what she said.

I got her statement, and yes, there was nothing wrong with it.  I had to really, really try though, and had to rewind several times to hear it.  I'd never blame the audience at home, however.  I don't think they misunderstood her, per se, just that she speaks very quickly, and with three of them speaking frequently all the time over each other makes it difficult to hear at times.  If there was something wrong with it, it was this (but all three spokeswomen of The View, ie. the three hosts who speak, are to blame, not just Rosie P):

Part of the feedback was not about what they SAID, but what they didn't say

You are so right.  I would prefer this be a show for adults only, but that does not excuse the show from acting responsibly - hey, they're the ones who decided to host Taylor Swift.  Yesterday's audience was filled with tween and teenage girls, all of whom most likely "know" someone.  Didn't Nicolle say she herself had some "young friends" in the audience, I think she said they were 12, 11 and nine?  (I hope they were not among those who received the cocktail recipe book - but that nonsense was irresponsible beyond belief and has already been addressed so I won't go into it too much.)  I won't insult the young girls by saying they were too excited for Taylor Swift to miss what was said at that table.  Their brains are sponges, and they'd be happy to watch and listen to a panel of women who are on television.  What they didn't hear because it wasn't said enough was "any behaviour by others that makes you feel uncomfortable is wrong".  Whether they like it or not, they had an obligation yesterday, and failed miserably.  "Clarifying" has no place today, those kids were there for just that one day.

Add to that - Bethany Frankel quite possibly has a raging eating disorder, and the whole "Skinny Girl" concept feeds into the pro ana lifestyle - poorly planned.

Totally agree.  Just awful. 

That was incredibly insulting.

Love your whole post, JunieBug.  You took the words right out of my mouth.  She had at least three of those today, don't know what to call them, they're not rants, they're not lectures, maybe meltdowns?  She was yelling at us the whole time.  I was offended by her yelling at parents who she thinks should be going to the unions demanding they act/represent the case for teachers' salaries better.  The point is okay, but parents, I believe, are doing the best they can, and a suggestion would have been okay, but who the hell is she to be angry at them and yell at them?  And be all offended at the parents, when they are doing the best they can?  Then right after that, she takes all credit for six states who have parents' groups confronting the unions, and says they have thanked her? * 

Then she got started with us.  She's angry at us at home and yelling at us.  No, Whoopi, if we are going to "really listen" to what y'all are saying, then y'all might have to be a little more clear.  Don't interrupt, don't talk over each other, speak clearly, and above all else, make y'all's points better.  Do not, and I repeat do not blame the audience at home, ever.  That's what gives you that pay check.  We have every right to comment online "anonymously", whether or not you like what we are saying. 

Whoopi, many times:  "I don't like being told what to do".  Then don't you go telling us what to do.

*  That to me seems a little misguided.  Unions don't pay the teachers' salaries.  As well as urging parents to confront unions for better teacher salary negotiations, shouldn't she be urging parents to also go to the school boards, attend those meetings as well as city/town meetings, and demand their tax dollars be distributed to allow for greater teacher salaries?  Regardless, her anger and her yelling today was not appropriate.

• Love 10

Wow, great post Dreamboat!  You said so many things I was thinking but so much better. 

I used the allotted space on the feedback form to comment on Whoopi getting angry with the viewers. 

Then right after that, she takes all credit for six states who have parents' groups confronting the unions, and says they have thanked her? *

*  That to me seems a little misguided.  Unions don't pay the teachers' salaries.  As well as urging parents to confront unions for better teacher salary negotiations, shouldn't she be urging parents to also go to the school boards, attend those meetings as well as city/town meetings, and demand their tax dollars be distributed to allow for greater teacher salaries?  Regardless, her anger and her yelling today was not appropriate.

I almost choked on my coffee when Whoopi said that. If Whoopi thinks of herself as some sort of public education activist then maybe she should find out where teacher salaries come from and how they are decided.  Sheesh. 

• Love 7

Seems to me the new Exec Producer needs to send over HT's the night before and require they come in early to learn about the HT's and inform them. Especially now that they are in the news dept somehow of ABC.

Actually - that must burn BW that they are since only SHE was................lol, and also said we got the news/headlines from The View. At 10a or 11a!

• Love 2

Still sticking in "my craw" is RO soft-peddling her younger son finding her older son's BB gun & shooting a few cans & a car window .... la la la la la la.  No big deal here.  Sorry, I don't know her kids' name & don't care, but the point ......

• Love 3

I think the new EP, Bill Wolff, has been so used to Rachel Maddow's way of preparing for a show (she is very thorough) and hasn't realized that except for maybe Nicolle, the hosts don't really do that much reading up on the topics they are covering hence their ridiculous comments this week about the catcalling video and the Time magazine cover about teachers..

• Love 5

I wonder if there is a cultural divide that is at play in Rosie P's appreciation of catcalling? The men who are saying "Mami you look good" are connecting with her, and it seems to have been mutually understood. If I had men commenting like that to me, I'd be very annoyed. I don't mind a friendly smile, but anything beyond that to me is inappropriate. I don't need random strangers making remarks about me every few feet as I walk down the block.

Once again Rosie O shocks me with her poor judgment. She thought "Mama June" was the loving matriarch of one big happy family? That that was just an image she created along with the support of TLC was known to anyone who had a working knowledge of Google. That family was a train wreck played out in slow-mo and TLC knew it all along. They were complicit in allowing this God-awful family to continue their slovenly, grifter ways.

• Love 5

Once again Rosie O shocks me with her poor judgment. She thought "Mama June" was the loving matriarch of one big happy family? That that was just an image she created along with the support of TLC was known to anyone who had a working knowledge of Google. That family was a train wreck played out in slow-mo and TLC knew it all along. They were complicit in allowing this God-awful family to continue their slovenly, grifter ways.

Well, like RO I'd only seen a couple episodes of the first season a few years ago and I had basically the same impressions as RO; there was a family with a lot of love. I never bothered to watch more than a couple episodes (because everyone was talking about it) much less Google them or  follow any gossip sites about it.  I don't fault her for not being on top of the show beyond that.  In fact, this was the first I heard about the mom being involved with anyone - I thought there already was a boyfriend/husband in the house.  

I did feel bad for RO when she realized she should have let her 11 year old daughter come for the Taylor Swift appearance.  I've been there and it's not fun to realize your kid missed out on something because you said no but should have said yes.   Sure, Vivi will survive and there might even be another opportunity but it would have been a fun experience for her and I think RO realized that after she got to work.   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

The only thing I knew about Honey Boo Boo was what I know about Duck Dynasty, not a hell of a lot but that they'd somehow punctured pop culture in a big way.

I haven't commented much about the catcall train wreck because it actually went past me on the day it happened, I hadn't thought about the teens being in the audience.  I think it's something that I've been oblivious to because of how I was socialized (I'm old, I'm learning!) and I have to admit, the couple times it's happened to me in the last couple years felt really nice, after being 120 pounds overweight.  Shame on me, I guess.  I did note what Ro said about it bothering her about her wife, and that Nicolle scolded everyone that the way they were talking was going to cause them to have to clean it up AGAIN.  And here we are.

I am having a hard time abiding anything Whoopi has to say anymore.  She knows everyone, she knows everything, she's omniscient, it's getting really fucking old.  And don't you dare scold me for saying so, Whoopi!  The ignorance in the Time cover story, the hollering at us for not understanding and on and on, It will be interesting to see how Monday unfolds.

I really appreciated what Ro had to say about mothers not believing children about sexual abuse, I wish they would have set up more time to discuss the double trauma that this causes.

I honestly thought that Bill Wolff would do a better job, but there is something to be said about the above remark by maraleia, I wonder if it is related to the prep and level of intelligence of the co-hosts.  Rachel carefully rewrites her show, by the minute really - during her broadcasts, as anything changes in facts as she's on air.  You can even see the difference on her show, when there are substitutes for her.

p.s.  I'm also really pissed that they characterized Keady as a heckler, 9/11 truthers are hecklers, rude people that have nothing to really say but to antagonize or oppose the speaker are hecklers, Keady is a gentleman that has worked hard with Sandy relief, is a previous city council member in the area and runs a non-profit trying to ameliorate the damage inflicted by Sandy and helps folks back into their homes.  That's not a heckler, Christie is an arrogant, seemingly corrupt bully, and I cannot believe that anyone in the country or New Jersey approves of his shenanigans.  I think he erupted like that on purpose, for national attention, to be honest.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 10

The members of my extended family have often talked about how Whoopie goes off when taxes or government type financial issues ( in this case she attacks teachers unions) are in HT.  She starts to whine about "my money".  There is a strong GOP  core to her now that she has wealth and she often has a hard time disguising it on air.  Although I don't agree with Rosie O on several issues she has never ranted like Whoopie on these topics and in fact her social views are very generous, something I don't see in "my money" Whoopie.

• Love 9

What bothers me most about the co-hosts views on the catcalling is they don't think it was a big deal.  It doesn't matter what they think.  The woman was uncomfortable.  And that was the whole point. Sexual harassment is about how the person being harassed feels not  the intent of the harasser. 

• Love 9

The members of my extended family have often talked about how Whoopie goes off when taxes or government type financial issues ( in this case she attacks teachers unions) are in HT.  She starts to whine about "my money".  There is a strong GOP  core to her now that she has wealth and she often has a hard time disguising it on air.  Although I don't agree with Rosie O on several issues she has never ranted like Whoopie on these topics and in fact her social views are very generous, something I don't see in "my money" Whoopie.

She's a left leaning Libertarian, she is not a liberal.

What bothers me most about the co-hosts views on the catcalling is they don't think it was a big deal.  It doesn't matter what they think.  The woman was uncomfortable.  And that was the whole point. Sexual harassment is about how the person being harassed feels not  the intent of the harasser. 

True that!  See, I am learning.  

eta: just started watching today's show, I'm so pathetic and miss my kid at college so much that I teared up at the little ballerinas and you could tell that they were being well trained, that said, GET THOSE POINTE SHOES OFF WHOOPI YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO HAVE THEM ON YOUR FEET.

okay, carry on, done with my dance mom share, lol

Oh and I'm with Ro and Rosie about the PTSD like jumping when startled, it's awful and drives those around me crazy.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Disclaimer:  I HATE Halloween & everything associated with it!!!  SO, I'm playing on my computer while listening to my boy, Milos Raonic try to beat Roger Federer in the BNP Paribas quarter-finals in Paris.  (It'll be a minor miracle if he wins, but one can hope???!!!)

• Love 2