Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/27/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 10/27: Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Laurence Fishburne, Tai Beauchamp
Tu 10/28: Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Mike Tyson, Barry Manilow, the latest castoffs from "Dancing with the Stars"
We 10/29: Taylor Swift, Bethenny Frankel
Th 10/30: TBA
Fr 10/31: Grant Gustin

OMG, Whoopi's uh-huhs couldn't get any worse (or louder) than they were this morning. I don't understand why no one has told her to stop it because it's SOOOO distracting!!!

I was taking laundry downstairs & missed the end of the show. What happened with Brad Paisley? (They're talking about it on Facebook.)

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 3

I was taking laundry downstairs & missed the end of the show.  What happened with Brad Paisley?  (They're talking about it on Facebook.)

His guitar wouldn't work. They brought out another one for him. All of this while he continued with the song. He didn't look too happy when he was done. Whoopi laughing on her way to the stage when the song was done probably didn't help

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2

So, did they bring up the school shooting in Seatle today?   

I find it interesting that Rosie, who doesn't even agree in physical force or war ever to deal with violent people, has armed guards for her and her family.   If you don't believe in violent reactions,  you shoudn't have any guns around you at all. 

• Love 4

I find it interesting that Rosie, who doesn't even agree in physical force or war ever to deal with violent people, has armed guards for her and her family.   If you don't believe in violent reactions,  you shoudn't have any guns around you at all. 

Yes, they sent their condolences to the "Washington" shootings!!!  Nice to know they're at least acknowledging the State!!!

• Love 2

I've tried to like Rosie Perez and I know many people on this board like her.  I find her annoying, not like Bitsy or Sherri but I guess I don't  understand why people think she is so great. Her voice and accent isn't right for a talk show and just my opinion.

Why was her cousin's birthday the first "hot" topic? First I thought it was a taped show. When she was off a day last week, I liked the show so much more. So I'm done with the show unless she is off.

• Love 2

Does she still have armed guards/security?  I thought that was just a temporary thing back in the Tom Selleck days when she was getting death threats.

OMG, Whoopi's uh-huhs couldn't get any worse (or louder) than they were this morning. I don't understand why no one has told her to stop it because it's SOOOO distracting!!!

I agree, it's very distracting.   Today it seemed continuous when Nicolle was speaking, I presume it's Whoopi's way of acknowledging that she is listening, but no one else does it, and it's not like it's a one on one conversation with just Whoopi. Someone does need to mention it to her, as she may not be aware of how distracting it is to tv viewers.

• Love 3

Does she still have armed guards/security?  I thought that was just a temporary thing back in the Tom Selleck days when she was getting death threats.

I agree, it's very distracting.   Today it seemed continuous when Nicolle was speaking, I presume it's Whoopi's way of acknowledging that she is listening, but no one else does it, and it's not like it's a one on one conversation with just Whoopi. Someone does need to mention it to her, as she may not be aware of how distracting it is to tv viewers.

Whoopi's behavior is very distracting.

According to  hypocritical  Rosie,  even people beheading others and turtoring them shouldn't be dealt with in a violent, way, we should deal with enemies like Ghandi.  So, no matter if she was getting death threats or not, she should not have people with guns around, who would potentially kill someone because they might hurt her or someone she cares about.   She should remember that the people who might her or her kids are "mentally ill", and war is never an answer, violence is not an answer according to her own opinion of how a president should handle threats.    If she is so against handling things violently, she should live by her words. Afterall, she would like the families whose kids are being held captive or have been killed to not have any retaliation.

• Love 2

His guitar wouldn't work. They brought out another one for him. All of this while he continued with the song. He didn't look too happy when he was done. Whoopi laughing on her way to the stage when the song was done probably didn't help

Did he just sing the one song? I was waiting for this but it didn't happen on our west coast feed. I did notice that he looked upset though. Maybe they edit these things out before we watch.

• Love 2

Whoopi has got to be deliberately trying to be annoying or showing that she is in charge with her "right," yeah", and "hmmms" at this point.  They need to cut her mic  other people are talking.  Someone must have mentioned it to her by now.

I think they were trying for an upbeat/fun show today in regards to the hot topics.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 4

And she'll have them again when ISIS begins beheading stand-up comedians or Broadway patrons instead of journalists and aid workers. I'm more in synch with Rosie than not when it comes to gun control (perhaps even more radical as I support the complete abolishment of the 2nd Amendment as popularly interpreted) but I don't have any problem at all with the obliteration of ISIS through force. Whether it can be done, practically speaking, is another matter entirely and there are strong idications that, no, it cannot be done, unfortunately.

• Love 3

Did he just sing the one song? I was waiting for this but it didn't happen on our west coast feed. I did notice that he looked upset though. Maybe they edit these things out before we watch.

I noticed that as well. They must have redone the song and the show close for the West Coast feed. We miss a lot of interesting things on the West Coast by not getting to see it truly live.

• Love 1

I noticed that as well. They must have redone the song and the show close for the West Coast feed. We miss a lot of interesting things on the West Coast by not getting to see it truly live.

At the end he did just the one song. I missed part of the show so not sure if he did another earlier. I find it interesting that you don't get the whole show. Perhaps you get more commercials, which I can't even imagine!!

And it's STILL the "all new View" according to the announcer geez.

Whoopi has got to be deliberately trying to be annoying or showing that she is in charge with her "right," yeah", and "hmmms" at this point.  They need to cut her mic  other people are talking.  Someone must have mentioned it to her by now.

At first I thought it was just a verbal tic or something, but then I remembered that in all the seasons she has been there she's never done it before this season, as far as I can recall.

• Love 3

At first I thought it was just a verbal tic or something, but then I remembered that in all the seasons she has been there she's never done it before this season, as far as I can recall.

Probably because she's never actually been listening before.

• Love 9

I am playing catch-up.  The return of the deep orange on the set is a tad disturbing. 

The muzzling of Rosie O continues to baffle.

Sorry, I really don't want to care about Rosie P's friend Sixto. Fine. Wish him a happy birthday, but not at the beginning of the show.

• Love 3

I was going to say that myself. I wonder why she suddenly started to do it this season. Maybe to feel like she's maintaining control over the conversation somehow? I have no idea. I hope nobody behind the scenes told her to do that.

I didn't watch the end of the show, since I tuned out after the Carrie/Brad interview was over. Since they were the only guests listed, I was hoping Carrie Underwood would perform her new song since I haven't heard it yet (I wouldn't call myself a big fan, but I do like her). Thankfully, they killed my hope early by saying Brad was the only one performing, and I definitely wasn't sticking around for that, much less the brief transformation into QVC. Too bad about that malfunction....

• Love 3

I think it is interesting when people speak out for gun control they are seen as anti gun. Here is an article where Rosie addresses the issue of her body guard requesting a gun permit..... and her stance on gun control. http://www.wnd.com/2000/06/2011/

The NRA used to be for gun control too.... but that was before they became a lobbyist organization for gun and ammo manufacturers

• Love 10

[    

That's not fair. We don't know whether Rosie and her family get death threats. We live in a crazy country with gun nuts so I don't blame her.

• Love 6

Whoopi has got to be deliberately trying to be annoying or showing that she is in charge with her "right," yeah", and "hmmms" at this point.  They need to cut her mic  other people are talking.  Someone must have mentioned it to her by now.

I think they were trying for an upbeat/fun show today in regards to the hot topics.

Ill have to send out a tweet to Whoopi and she if she will explain why she "makes sounds" when other people are talking

• Love 7

I find it interesting that Rosie, who doesn't even agree in physical force or war ever to deal with violent people, has armed guards for her and her family. If you don't believe in violent reactions, you shoudn't have any guns around you at all.

That's not fair. We don't know whether Rosie and her family get death threats. We live in a crazy country with gun nuts so I don't blame her.

Well, I don't blame her for having an armed guard, but she's a major hypocrite. She can react to threats by having someone armed, who could use violence to protect her or her family, but, she makes a blanket statement that would should not easy with violence and should be like Ghandi and thinks war is never an answer when people are being mutdered including our citizens by terrorists.

It's easy to make statements saying violence is never the answer, until

It affects you or your family.

• Love 3

Yes, they sent their condolences to the "Washington" shootings!!! Nice to know they're at least acknowledging the State!!!

The very first words Whoopi said, even before saying welcome to The View, were that they were sending out their condolences to "the victims of the Washington shooting tragedy." They chose not to use the story as fodder for "hot topics," which frankly I'm okay with. I don't see them adding anything profound to the conversation at this point that hasn't already been said.

• Love 6

I watched the episode just now, which I have not been doing, cuz of Whoops' entitled attitude and saying," uh huh" like she knows it all and is confirming the other hosts' comments. Bitch, please!

Loved the show where Rosie O moderated and Whoops was gone.

Re: Brad Paisley's non-working guitar on live tv:   Ridiculouslyunprofessional of the View to have that debacle happen.   Just stop the song, go to a short commercial, and fix it asap. Or they could have gone to another shilling spot on another camera with the Republican, while they fixed it.  Brad did his best on a live show.  Wasn't it Selena Gomez or another young female singer where the sound/mike was messed up last season?

(Sorry, I'm blanking on her name at the moment.)

• Love 1

I don't see the comparison between the horrors of war and personal safety.  I'm sure Rosie isn't for unarming the local police force either, and that doesn't make her a hypocrite.  Being anti-violence and anti-war is not being anti-self defense or anti-safety.  I think it's a ridiculous comparison, like saying that since Rosie is a pacifist she is anti-WW2, and it's really putting words into Rosie's mouth and jumping to extremes to paint her in a bad light.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 17

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I think it's the artists' own team who would be held responsible for an instrument malfunctioning, and the commercial breaks are all timed out, just look at Whoopi's awkward cuts, so I'm not sure if just cutting to a commercial was an option.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 7

I don't see the comparison between the horrors of war and personal safety. I'm sure Rosie isn't for unarming the local police force either, and that doesn't make her a hypocrite. Being anti-violence and anti-war is not being anti-self defense or anti-safety. I think it's a ridiculous comparison, like saying that since Rosie is a pacifist she is anti-WW2, and it's really putting words into Rosie's mouth and jumping to extremes to paint her in a bad light.

She said war is never the answer , so even if we're rescuing peope from

Hilter, or ending slavery, we shouldn't go to war if you believe that. She doesn't think trying to stop ISIs by bombing is justified. How atrocious does the behavior have to be for her to feel it's justified? I'd say lining the roads with heads of victims is reason enough to use force- but not Roaie. She can't distinguish between a civil rights leader and the leader of a nation who can't walk around passive all the time. I dare say that heaven forbid her son in the military was captured, Rosie would be visiting the congress and the President, and using every forum to tell them to use force.

• Love 2

She said war is never the answer , so even if we're rescuing peope from

Hilter, or ending slavery, we shouldn't go to war if you believe that. She doesn't think trying to stop ISIs by bombing is justified. How atrocious does the behavior have to be for her to feel it's justified? I'd say lining the roads with heads of victims is reason enough to use force- but not Roaie. She can't distinguish between a civil rights leader and the leader of a nation who can't walk around passive all the time. I dare say that heaven forbid her son in the military was captured, Rosie would be visiting the congress and the President, and using every forum to tell them to use force.

Honestly I dont see how "war is the answer".... we have been engaged for over 10 years.... killing and maiming.... waging war.... but still ISIS exists.... still our people are being killed.... after 10+ years of war.... what problem has it answered??

Remember why Syria and Iraq exists right now.... It was an agreement between the UK and France...... not the people in the areas..... but outside forces..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%E2%80%93Picot_Agreement

• Love 7

The muzzling of Rosie O continues to baffle.

Yeah, that's disappointing.  Thursday's episode showed us what it could be.*  Once the Whoopi Show began today, I was not really all that interested.  Then, this happened.

Sorry, I really don't want to care about Rosie P's friend Sixto. Fine. Wish him a happy birthday, but not at the beginning of the show.

Whoopi said Rosie P had something to say!, so I waited.  Her cousin, her friend ? turned 60, then she said he did turn 50?  What the hell was that?  I have to admit my full attention was not on it.**

I don't see the comparison between the horrors of war and personal safety.  I'm sure Rosie isn't for unarming the local police force either, and that doesn't make her a hypocrite.  Being anti-violence and anti-war is not being anti-self defense or anti-safety.  I think it's a ridiculous comparison, like saying that since Rosie is a pacifist she is anti-WW2, and it's really putting words into Rosie's mouth and jumping to extremes to paint her in a bad light.

That is an absolutely amazing post, Morbs.   Very well said, and you make the point brilliantly.   Thank you.

*  Yet, I'd be willing to believe this show would let Rosie slip through its fingers again, and keep Whoopi over her.  After all, this is a show that let her walk away once, and that wasn't even the kicker.  The kicker was, Bits stayed another six years after that.  And I can't forget (yet, anyway) that Sherri was there for seven years.  There may be different people at the helm now, but I am still not a very trusting person.

** I tried to follow that (and it didn't help that my weekend guests who were still here came down then) but I had already lost interest, because really, WHAT the hell was that?  Didn't see the rest of the show.

ETA:  I think when the announcer announces it's an "all new View", it just means it's a live, original episode, not having ever been a rerun,"starting now".

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 5

Just some absolutely hilarious payback for her cousin who said Rosie P's age was 10 yrs older than she actually was.....and now she did it back to him! Really - she did.

Or at least that is how I took that ridiculous conversation.

• Love 5

I love Rosie P but i thought the "Happy 60th" Ha Ha you're really 50 was about the dumbest thing I've seen in a minute. Seriously it's not funny if someone plays a practical joke on you and you retaliate with the exact same joke.

It's even less funny when the rest of America has no idea who this person is. Save that for the family reunion.

• Love 8

The very first words Whoopi said, even before saying welcome to The View, were that they were sending out their condolences to "the victims of the Washington shooting tragedy." They chose not to use the story as fodder for "hot topics," which frankly I'm okay with. I don't see them adding anything profound to the conversation at this point that hasn't already been said.

I'd agree about not using it as a hot topic but honestly the way Whoopi decided to come out and speed read "their condolences" for the "shooting tragedy in Washington" and get well to a producer on the show she might as not have bothered.   Nothing says sincerity like monotone speed-reading off a blue card to get "it" out of the way. 

And while I'm at it, I wonder if Whoopi understands the difference between having a conversation with the other co-hosts (about the nurse who was quarantine) and ranting directly to Chris Christie ; whom I sure is watching, lol.

I hated the flash "sale" stuff and I didn't think it was particularly great prices either.    TJ Maxx  and Costco can beat those prices easy on either the stuff or better.   

I didn't even bother to see the rest of the show and that hasn't happened once this season until today. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

I don't see the comparison between the horrors of war and personal safety.  I'm sure Rosie isn't for unarming the local police force either, and that doesn't make her a hypocrite.  Being anti-violence and anti-war is not being anti-self defense or anti-safety.  I think it's a ridiculous comparison, like saying that since Rosie is a pacifist she is anti-WW2, and it's really putting words into Rosie's mouth and jumping to extremes to paint her in a bad light.

Thank you for posting this. It would be more comparable if Rosie didn't just hire security to protect her family from attack, but bombed the rest of her state to make sure nobody attacked her. Or if she wiped out North Carolina because somebody who attacked her lived there at one time. I'm not sure if I 100% agree with Rosie when it comes to war, but I don't see her as a hypocrite.

• Love 10

A post on The View's Facebook page last night:

The incredible Mike Tyson is with us tomorrow! Plus, Barry Manilow performs, U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren gives us a 101 on the midterm elections and tonight's booted couple from Dancing with the Stars shows us their moves!

I'm a day or two behind on my beloved TiVo but I cringe to see that Mike Tyson will be lauded today.  Everybody has that person that they just can't watch anymore:  Roman Polanski, Woody Allen... Mine is Tyson.  Yes, he served his prison sentence but I just wanted him to disappear altogether after that.  I recognize that this is not a logical position; it's just the way I feel.

So I'll fast forward until I see the fabulous Elizabeth Warren.

• Love 6

Boxing nor Mike Tyson do anything for me BUT I'm interested to see Rosie P's reaction. She's a boxing fan (so it seems). Will her enthusiasm of him override the fact that he did abuse his ex-wife and bite off half of Holyfield's ear?

I am only watching this show again because of Rosie O.  I can't take Whoopie and the fact that she is the Queen B in behavior is getting on my last nerve.  If Rosie disappears again, I am done with this show.  I will say that Nicole Wallace is a welcome addition after the disasterous Bitsy and her mother Babs.  The show has promise if it does something with Whoopie but I don't have a lot of hope anymore.

• Love 3

Whoopi: Get better, Elisabeth Hasselbeck. We miss your face.

Really, Whoopi? Really?

Is that who she sent out the get well wishes to at the beginning.  It was so fast, I missed the name, but I thought she said someone from the ABC family.

To me, the Whitney Houston/Barry Manilow thing was really creepy.

I thought so too.   Just because technology makes it possible, it doesn't mean it needs to be done.  And I can't imagine the weirdness of going to a Barry Manilow duets concert!

• Love 1