Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Devil You Know

OMG, Chalky was my favorite and van Alden was in second. WTF. Chalky sacrificed himself for Daughter, an absolute nothing of a character, a bit of fluff. Terrible. Van Alden, by contrast, was stuck in a really stupid plan but found his old self in his final moments.

• Love 6

WTF? Happened? Narcisse killed Chalky? I left the room for a second what happened?

Chalky made a deal with Narcisse.  Daughter will (maybe) get her singing career back, which apparently Narcisse had been blocking.   Chalky supposedly was going to work for Narcisse (this is what Daughter thought) but Chalky pretty much knew the truth.   As soon as Daughter was gone and Narcisse walked off, Narcisse's men shot Chalky.  Chalky's last thought wasn't of his wife, son, or his daughter.  It was of Daughter singing.    

A waste.

• Love 3

Despite both of my favorite characters being killed in the same episode this was probably one of the greatest BE episodes of the series. For as disjointed as last season seemed they are doing a great job tying up story lines. The tension was so intense tonight. It was predictable and yet it wasn't. Both Van Alden and Chalky went out the way we loved their characters -- Van Alden as a self-righteous lunatic and Chalky as an honorable man.

So, so many great insights tonight! Gillian was a street con and a BABY. Her story of being taken to the commodore was harrowing but seeing what a child she was makes it even more disturbing.

Can't wait for Tommy to out himself to Nucky. They did great casting, he really does look like a young jimmy darmondy. I can't believe Nucky isn't having flashbacks of killing jimmy since he seems to be running through all his sins these last few episodes. I suppose that will come.

Narcisse is such a mother fucker. He has no intention of letting Daughter have her career and I was breathless when he turned down the alley and I realized what was about to happen. Great, great scene.

Line of the night: when Van Alden blamed his wife for the "robbery" and said he was having problems at home. Eli: I can vouch for that. These 2 were gold together.

I'll truly miss this show. I'm glad it seems to be heading out really strong and well written than just kind of fizzling out.

Edited: I'm assuming that's Tommy Darmondy. Why else would he be there plus he jumped when Mickey made the joke about his father setting him up with his mother. I have not read an spoilers to confirm this.

Edited by Lambie
  • Love 5

Chalky made a deal with Narcisse.  Daughter will (maybe) get her singing career back, which apparently Narcisse had been blocking.   Chalky supposedly was going to work for Narcisse (this is what Daughter thought) but Chalky pretty much knew the truth.   As soon as Daughter was gone and Narcisse walked off, Narcisse's men shot Chalky.  Chalky's last thought wasn't of his wife, son, or his daughter.  It was of Daughter singing.    

A waste.

A total fucking waste!  My man had to die just so some piece of fluff could have a fucking singing career?!  Really show?

Sorry for the persistent profanity but I'm just stunned by this fuckery.  Stunned!

• Love 6

Goddamnit, show. Goddamnit, goddamnit, goddamnit. So Daughter and Chalky have to show up on the same night, eh? I suppose Chalky's sacrifice was noble if you realize he was doing it for his daughter, not Daughter. Not that we're sure Narcisse will keep his word. In fact, he probably won't. Sigh. Oh well, in 30+ years a white woman will have a big hit with that song.

As far as Van Alden goes, at least he got to enjoy final burst of religiosity before he met his maker. But for some reason, I'm not envying Abigail and Chester's future situation.

• Love 5

The shows writers should of done better. First Jimmy walks into his death and now Chalky decides to do the same. How many people on the show are gonna decide they wanna die at the hands of someone else.Suicide by their enemy.

• Love 3

Well, shit.  I kind of figured big stuff was going to happen in this episode, but I certainly was surprised they killed off two of it's biggest and, IMO, best characters on this show.

While both were sad, I thought that Van Alden's was at least somewhat fitting.  He was always hanging by a thread, and it was only a matter of time, before his luck ran out.  Really, he lasted a hell of a lot longer then I expected.  But, man, am I going to miss that crazy bastard.  I can't wait to see what Michael Shannon does next.  At least Eli is still around.  He's like Doyle, now: just a cockroach, that keeps on surviving.

Chalky though, I don't know.  I guess it is somewhat realistic that a guy like Dr. Narcisse would always being able to escape him, but it was still so frustrating to see Chalky not get any kind of revenge, and die.  And, we really don't even know if Narcisse will keep his word, and help Daughter and their child.  Maybe he will surprise me and do so, but you can never tell with that smug bastard.  Either way, I'm bummed.  But I'm sure Michael Kenneth Williams will be showing up in other things.  Omar Little and Chalky White.  He is so damn talented.

I kind of had a feeling where they were going with the flashbacks, but I still loved them.  Didn't see much of Young Gillian yet, but, again, the casting of Young Eli was spot-on.  But, I'm already dreading what is going to happen in the weeks to come.

Nucky went through a drunken rage there for a bit, but sobered up (and, I"m assuming got robbed by those women), and now seems ready for business.  Loved that Doyle rounded up the gang.  Again, he's so silly, but he has his moments were he's kind of.... almost awesome?

Yeah, I have to think that mysterious kid is going to be Tommy.  I will be totally surprised if it isn't.

Hey, Lucky!  If you do me this one favor and kill Narcisse, I'll root for you.  Deal?

Sigh... off to remember the good times of Chalky being Chalky, and Van Alden and Eli being the most awesome duo on the planet.

• Love 3

It's one thing for Chalky to sacrifice himself for Daughter. But knowing Narcese won't honor any pledge, what the F did he sacrifice himself for? Wouldn't killing Nasrcese accomplish the same thing? The whole thing felt poorly thought out to me, by both Chalky and the writers of BE.

• Love 5

He couldn't have been born that early b/c the US didn't enter WW 1 until 1917 and my understanding was that he left to go fight in the war just after finding out Angela was pregnant... And the show started in 1919 w/ prohibition being enacted. Tommy was still being fed by his parents in Season 1 so that's why I assumed he was 2-3 years old. 5 years old can eat on their own.

Edited by HollaMcDollar
  • Love 1

I've been figuring that at some point we were going to be getting something new from these flashbacks. It wouldn't have made sense to dedicate so much time for them if they were just dramatizing stuff we've already been told. This appears to be the point. The way the Gillian/Commodore story has previously been told to us was that she was just a random girl who The Commodore spotted and directed Nucky to bring to him. Now that we know Nucky knew her from before that night and that in the past couple episodes we've seen him become aware of (or at least presume) The Commodore's pedophilia, I'm guessing we're going to see that Gillian being chosen by The Commodore was a bit less random. He's going to deliberately bring her to his attention in order to get in his favor.

It's going to be quite revolting.

• Love 6
I guess it is somewhat realistic that a guy like Dr. Narcisse would always being able to escape him, but it was still so frustrating to see Chalky not get any kind of revenge, and die.

When he was talking about how Luciano is calling the shots now, he was saying "things are changing." So, Narcisse is going to change with them because he survives. Chalky wouldn't have ever changed, even working for Narcisse because he'd always be seething for his revenge. I wish he was smarter than he was. 

For both characters tonight, they just didn't think much through.

I was glad Van Alden got a punch in on Capone, but if he held his shit together and stayed on his toes, Capone ended up *handing the ledgers right over*. In a way, it's great that VA did have a hand in bringing Capone down. Good call to have the other fed shoot him. I was surprised the feds didn't give them actual money to plant in the vault as part of the plan. Wouldn't someone have thought, "hey, what if they check the bag?" Just put in marked bills. 

It makes me think that VA was a goner anyway. He is legit wanted for murder. He's a fugitive. The fed was going to toss him out like garbage anyway. 

I'm also going to pretend that the little girl was Chalky's, and that she is Omar's grandmother and you can't stop me. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5

Jimmy dropped out of Princeton and joined the Army in the spring of 1917, just as the U.S. entered the war.  Angela was already some weeks pregnant; Tommy would have been born in the winter of 1917/18.  The boy actor looks older than 13, but there doesn't seem much doubt that he'll prove to be Tommy.   

Can't wait for Tommy to out himself to Nucky. They did great casting, he really does look like a young jimmy darmondy. I can't believe Nucky isn't having flashbacks of killing jimmy since he seems to be running through all his sins these last few episodes. I suppose that will come.

Nucky's latest blackout/flashback involved his first meeting with Gillian.  As he came to in the alley after being mugged, he was still talking to the young cross-dressed Gillian, confusing his memory of her with the boy who found him in the present-day: Gillian's grandson.  

• Love 2

i'm not up to thoughtfully analyzing this episode like usual.  i'm just....gah.  so sad.  van alden, my comic relief, you giant headed psychopath, i'll miss you.  will i ever laugh (while watching BE) again?

and chalky too?  that's just....mean.  to the viewers, specifically.  i feel like....i feel like when omar died.  yeah, that about sums it up.

i have to say, i'm a little disappointed with chalky's measly story line.  they just didn't give him much to do, and he didn't even "win" in the end.  also, that scene with capone and VA and eli was all over the map, tonally, and it was fantastic!  terrifying and hilarious ("greedy.  i'm very greedy.") and then oh my GOD VAN ALDEN IS DEAD WHY??? what a great scene.  

ok i guess i was up to a little thoughtfulness.  grief makes me retrospective.  

• Love 1

Goddamnit, show. Goddamnit, goddamnit, goddamnit. So Daughter and Chalky have to show up on the same night, eh? I suppose Chalky's sacrifice was noble if you realize he was doing it for his daughter, not Daughter. Not that we're sure Narcisse will keep his word. In fact, he probably won't. Sigh. Oh well, in 30+ years a white woman will have a big hit with that song.

As far as Van Alden goes, at least he got to enjoy final burst of religiosity before he met his maker. But for some reason, I'm not envying Abigail and Chester's future situation.

Of course he won't, Narcisse is an asshole.  I think Chalky did sacrifice for his daughter, and not Daughter.  Either way, it was ending that night.  Either Chalky was going to kill Narcisse and get shot by his men, or Narcisse was going to get the better of Chalky and kill him.  No matter what, Chalky was going to die, IMO.  At least this way he had some sort of promise, and maybe there is some small shred of Narcisse that is human and will keep his promise.  And even when that proves to be untrue, at least Althea didn't have to stay in a room and watch her father getting shot, or risk being in the crossfire.

It's one thing for Chalky to sacrifice himself for Daughter. But knowing Narcese won't honor any pledge, what the F did he sacrifice himself for? Wouldn't killing Nasrcese accomplish the same thing? The whole thing felt poorly thought out to me, by both Chalky and the writers of BE.

If Chalky killed Narcisse, he would then be killed by his men, at least this way he got some sort of a promise.  Chalky is still the sort of man who keeps promises, and probably expects the same, even of his enemies.  But Narcisse is like a snake, just evil in every way.   Although of course Narcisse is not going to keep it.  Goodness, why won't someone just finally kill that man?  Thats all I want in the series finale, someone to kill Narcisse in the most painful way possible.

But, now that I think about it, Chalky did what he didn't do last time.  Last time, he was so invested in getting revenge on Narcissse that he put Maybel in the middle of gunfire...because Narcisse of course, has no problem hiding behind an innocent child to save his sorry ass.  This time, Chalky asked that they at least let little Althea out of the room, and Narcisse of course, refused.  I'm surprised he didn't hold her in front of his chest or sit her on his lap.  This time, maybe, to some degree Chalky learned his lesson and put what was important, his daughter, before his revenge.

I was glad Van Alden got a punch in on Capone, but if he held his shit together and stayed on his toes, Capone ended up *handing the ledgers right over*. In a way, it's great that VA did have a hand in bringing Capone down. Good call to have the other fed shoot him. I was surprised the feds didn't give them actual money to plant in the vault as part of the plan. Wouldn't someone have thought, "hey, what if they check the bag?" Just put in marked bills. 

I'm also going to pretend that the little girl was Chalky's, and that she is Omar's grandmother and you can't stop me. 

Thats what I'm thinking.  I know the FBI didn't really take organized crime seriously, but come on now, how much effort would it have taken to even get some old bills and stuff the bag with them?  Sending them in with newspaper was a suicide mission because there are so many ways it could go wrong.  It took more of an effort to cut up old newspapers in square shapes than it would to just get them the money to stuff the bag with.

I still think Luciano may kill Narcisse.  I think it may be narcisse's mouth that gets him into trouble.  Narcisse is just, by his very nature unpleasant, but more importantly, he thinks he is better and smarter than everyone in the room.  I don't think Luciano can afford to have that sort of bald arrogance around him.  Narcisse would seem like the type who you would always have to be watching because he isn't loyal and he thinks he is smarter than everyone in the room.  So, I'm thinking Luciano may just kill him and put someone he likes better in his place.

But I will place many poxes and curses upon this show if narcisse survives.  I hate him so much.  Its like after I saw Danny Glover in the Color Purple, and I couldn't even enjoy him in Lethal Weapon for years and years.  If I ever see that actor on TV again, I will hate him immediately.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

Holy shit, van Alden! Until this episode, I actually thought he'd make it to the end of the series. Damn; loved that character. I wish he had a better ending, but we can't say we didn't see it coming from the start of that whole "this has not been well thought out" scene, right up to when he suckerpunched Capone. And then the ledgers wind up in DiAngelos hands anyway! Ack... although DiAngelo should have at least kept up the pretense until they were out of the building, as a precaution.

It also kind of detracted from the Chalky death, which was telegraphed a mile away. Why on earth did he make that "deal", he knew it was suicide and if Daughter was being held down by Narcisse, killing him then and there solves that? I get that he was hoping Daughter and, well, daughter, would be taken care of, but I got the impression from Narcisse's last line that he had no intention of helping out Daughter. For all his flaws, I always figured Narcisse was at least one of those "man of honor" types. The whole thing doesn't make much sense from Chalky's end.

The young Enoch and Mabel scenes were really nice; I feel like it retroactively fleshes out the Nucky character. I can see how a young man who loses a loving wife and child would never be the same, and that was paired with the broken man we saw trolling with those floozies, mourning with the loss of Sally.

Speaking of which, those barflies were a real piece of work. I feel like the HBO season quota on foul language was spent all in those scenes! Also... slight "Trees Lounge", homage, anyone? I did enjoy the way the conversation they had also set up the Gillian/Neptune's Consort plotline. That scene under the boardwalk also confirms the Nellie Bly letter from a couple of episodes was from Gillian. We were discussing this in the Gillian thread recently, where I think Nucky does feel guilt about young Gillian, as we saw from his side-eye at the young woman who first visited the Commodore while he was talking to that shopkeep, and his dialogue to the floozies about "what we never talk about". The theory above that now that we know Nucky knew Gillian from prior to the parade night, we'll find out Nucky was mote active in producing Gillian to th4 Commodore... does not mean he doesnt feel remorse now. Doesn't excuse it of course, but I think we've seen him express enough regret in multiple scenes over the series to believe it's real.

Hard to believe there are only two episodes left. It's gonna be a bloodbath! Except at thus point, aren't our major historical figures- Nucky, Lucciano, etc- all well known to survive this season? Still, this season has been pretty strong so far, in terms of fan service and character development. It's been a fun ride, and I'm curious how they end it.

• Love 3

Holy shit, van Alden! Until this episode, I actually thought he'd make it to the end of the series. Damn; loved that character. I wish he had a better ending, but we can't say we didn't see it coming from the start of that whole "this has not been well thought out" scene, right up to when he suckerpunched Capone. And then the ledgers wind up in DiAngelos hands anyway! Ack... although DiAngelo should have at least kept up the pretense until they were out of the building, as a precaution.

It also kind of detracted from the Chalky death, which was telegraphed a mile away. Why on earth did he make that "deal", he knew it was suicide and if Daughter was being held down by Narcisse, killing him then and there solves that? I get that he was hoping Daughter and, well, daughter, would be taken care of, but I got the impression from Narcisse's last line that he had no intention of helping out Daughter. For all his flaws, I always figured Narcisse was at least one of those "man of honor" types. The whole thing doesn't make much sense from Chalky's end.

The young Enoch and Mabel scenes were really nice; I feel like it retroactively fleshes out the Nucky character. I can see how a young man who loses a loving wife and child would never be the same, and that was paired with the broken man we saw trolling with those floozies, mourning with the loss of Sally.

Speaking of which, those barflies were a real piece of work. 

Hard to believe there are only two episodes left. It's gonna be a bloodbath! Except at thus point, aren't our major historical figures- Nucky, Lucciano, etc- all well known to survive this season? Still, this season has been pretty strong so far, in terms of fan service and character development. It's been a fun ride, and I'm curious how they end it.

I just need Narcisse to die.  That is all I need now from this show.  I would prefer it to be painful, but if I must, I will take it quick too.  

I liked the Mabel and Enoch scenes because they sort of showed that Nucky was sort of putting on a face for the Commodore and his work crew, but when he is at home, with Mabel, he is a different, more real person.  He doesn't have to put on airs, or an act for her.

Yeah, those floozies were something else, I wasn't sure if they were gonna end up killing each other, the old man, or Nucky.   I thought it was hilarious when one of them was going on about almost being Miss Neptune while Nucky was talking about something else entirely.

I was hoping the same for Van Alden.  I thought he might be the one tragic figure to make it out alive and happy.  Like he would somehow steal a boatload of money from Capone, flee the country, Capone (because of his insanity) wouldn't even notice the money was missing and Van Alden would take Sigrid to live in Costa Rica somewhere, and she would be happy again because he could finally pay attention to her and not be so stressed, and their kids would be happy.  Oh well.

• Love 2

I too wish for Narcisse to die, painfully and embarrassingly. One thing it helps to remember: Narcisse is one of the only major mob characyers left who isn't based on some real person. He's got no historical plot armor to save him!

• Love 6

I too wish for Narcisse to die, painfully and embarrassingly. One thing it helps to remember: Narcisse is one of the only major mob characyers left who isn't based on some real person. He's got no historical plot armor to save him!

exactly!  the possibilities are endless, throwing him down a pit, putting him on the rack, forcing him to listen to Van Alders kid play the recorder until he begs for sweet relief!  its all on the table

• Love 10

One thing I thought was interesting with Chalky/Narcisse was that last season, Narcisse started off as something of a badass.  He had a white women killed who wrongly accused a black man of rape, at a time that a black man could be lynched for just looking at a white woman. I even think that white couple was working for him.  I contrast that with this season's Narcisse.  When it happened, I didn't understand the significance of the scene when Narcisse's brothel was shot up, but now I think it was to show how impotent Narcisse is now, how he has to do what a white man tells him to do, something last season he seemed to be against.  Last season he was trying to be his own boss, a "new Negro," this season he has become a common thug, murdering another black man in an alley, because now he has no real power.  Chalky told him, "it was all a dream, none of us are ever free."  Narcisse couldn't answer that, because he knew Chalky was telling the truth; Narcisse has become what he accused Chalky of being last season, a stooge for "the white man."  

• Love 9

Well that sucked. Getting rid of two favorite characters while Mickey Doyle still draws a breath. I guess my hope for a "Nelson and Eli Tour the US" spin-off is a no go.

History tells us not to expect much from Nucky's final show-down.

Just as the flashbacks are getting interesting the show is going to run out of episodes. The scenes in present day AC seem like filler, waiting for the finale, compared to the flashbacks and the scenes in Chicago.

I'm embarrassed to say that when the cigar shop owner referred to the thief as a little "monkey", I thought we were going to get a look at a young Chalky White.

As others have already opined, it's quite obvious that Nucky's young employee is Gillian's grandson. I wonder if he's gunning for Grandma or Uncke Nucky?

• Love 1

Worth noting that Nucky isn't protected by history in the same way that Meyer and Luciano are. They changed Nucky's last name specifically for this reason.

One thing I thought was interesting with Chalky/Narcisse was that last season, Narcisse started off as something of a badass.  He had a white women killed who wrongly accused a black man of rape, at a time that a black man could be lynched for just looking at a white woman. I even think that white couple was working for him.  I contrast that with this season's Narcisse.  When it happened, I didn't understand the significance of the scene when Narcisse's brothel was shot up, but now I think it was to show how impotent Narcisse is now, how he has to do what a white man tells him to do, something last season he seemed to be against.  Last season he was trying to be his own boss, a "new Negro," this season he has become a common thug, murdering another black man in an alley, because now he has no real power.  Chalky told him, "it was all a dream, none of us are ever free."  Narcisse couldn't answer that, because he knew Chalky was telling the truth; Narcisse has become what he accused Chalky of being last season, a stooge for "the white man."  

This rather sudden transition for Narcisse is one of the more unfortunate casualties the timejump. It's a thematic follow-up to that final scene between him & Hoover last season, where it's made clear that Narcisse will now be doing Hoover's bidding in exchange for not being deported. The deal was that he'd get to continue operating his criminal interests with complete independence in exchange for feeding Hoover information on Marcus Garvey and his associates. If we weren't getting this truncated ending we probably would've seen a season of Narcisse operating under Hoover's thumb, so that him then losing his criminal independence to Luciano would be the culmination of an arc, rather than just hopping from A to Z.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was excellent. I got tears in my eyes when Chalky wiped away his own tear upon seeing his little daughter. The Maybelle factor just made the moment all the more sad and powerful.

I also cried when the scene went black. What a waste. And I agree that Narcisse needs a painful death. To quote Hannibal Lecter- -I want him to *scream* apologies.

I liked that Nelson scared the shit out of Capone before he left. Michael Shannon--I am a fan for life. He really did give us some terrifically funny stuff over the years.

The actor who plays Eli is so good too. The young one was spot on as well. Lol when young Eli chastised Nucky for using profanity.

So Gillian was already on the streets by age twelve. I really hope we at least get a line about what the story is wrt her parents and what brought her to AC.

Nice catch, Pallas regarding Nucky dreaming/flashing back to his first meeting with Gillian only to then find himself staring into the face of her grandson. He was also yelling something about 'why would you trust me?' I'm assuming he was talking about Gillian there as well but I'd have to rewatch.

For someone who has had two failed hits on himself this year alone Nucky really doesn't seem to take his security very seriously.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 4

I just need Narcisse to die.  That is all I need now from this show.  I would prefer it to be painful, but if I must, I will take it quick too.  

Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, I want this more than anything.  I feel totally g*****, ripped off, bamboozled--whatever you want to call it.  This fucker lives; Maybelle's tragic and unnecessary death goes unavenged.  I still have a special hate on for Daughter.  Chalky lost everything and his life took a turn for the worst (loss of family, freedom, etc.) running in behind this heifer. 

• Love 1
Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, I want this more than anything.  I feel totally g*****, ripped off, bamboozled--whatever you want to call it.  This fucker lives; Maybelle's tragic and unnecessary death goes unavenged.  I still have a special hate on for Daughter.  Chalky lost everything and his life took a turn for the worst (loss of family, freedom, etc.) running in behind this heifer.

I have to disagree.  First, I don't think Daughter is a heifer at all.  Second, Chalky only has himself to blame; Maybelle would not have been in that place, had she not been interested in her father's life.  Chalky wanted her to marry the medical student, but she spurned him because she wanted to know what her father did.  I think that's why Chalky was okay with dying.  He knew if he ran with Daughter and their daughter, he would be putting their lives in danger, the same way Maybelle's life was in danger.  I mean if Chalky had been tending to his business instead of running after daughter, Narcisse would never have gotten as far as he did.  

Sorry, but I have an issue when women get blamed for the stupid actions of men.  Chalky was stupid and everybody paid for it.  

• Love 8

Well, that was a hell of a roller coaster ride, with a few brief moments of levity here and there only to better shock, awe and sadden us afterwards. And it was mesmerizing. Nothing could have dragged me away from the screen.

I've been increasingly impressed by Shea Wigham's performance as Eli since Eli got out of prison and in this episode he managed to bring even more dimension to his game.

Very sad to lose two complex characters, with only two episodes left this is starting to feel like the end of an era. Van Alden/"Husband" and Chalky will be missed, and I have no doubt that very soon the list will get longer. I hope the writers will at least give us the satisfaction of including among the next departed some that we will not miss, starting with Dr. Narcisse.

Interesting that Joel is widely believe to be Tommy, I would never have thought about it without reading it here, but that's an intriguing idea. I would have seen him more as the ghost of young Nucky, wanting to get ahead, refusing money, seeming all wide-eyed good boy, a living example of what Nucky once was.

The ending credits score... heartwrenching   

• Love 1

Very sad to lose two complex characters, with only two episodes left this is starting to feel like the end of an era. Van Alden/"Husband" and Chalky will be missed, and I have no doubt that very soon the list will get longer. I hope the writers will at least give us the satisfaction of including among the next departed some that we will not miss, starting with Dr. Narcisse.

Damn you BE!  Damn you all to hell!  Chalky (along with Richard Harrow) has been my favorite character since the beginning of the series.  They were both "men of honor" in their own ways.   Chalky is now dead and Narcisse lives.  His death had me sobbing like Richard's death did last year.  I was so happy Van Alden went out in a blaze of glory.  As always, a great performance by Michael Shannon.    I recommend the movie "Take Shelter" for my fellow Michael Shannon fans.

• Love 4

I have to disagree.  First, I don't think Daughter is a heifer at all.  Second, Chalky only has himself to blame; Maybelle would not have been in that place, had she not been interested in her father's life.  Chalky wanted her to marry the medical student, but she spurned him because she wanted to know what her father did.  I think that's why Chalky was okay with dying.  He knew if he ran with Daughter and their daughter, he would be putting their lives in danger, the same way Maybelle's life was in danger.  I mean if Chalky had been tending to his business instead of running after daughter, Narcisse would never have gotten as far as he did.  

Sorry, but I have an issue when women get blamed for the stupid actions of men.  Chalky was stupid and everybody paid for it.  

I'm sorry if what I said implied that Chalky wasn't responsible for his own demise.  And, I certainly wasn't blaming a woman for the actions of the men.  It still infuriates me that Chalky was so besotted with this heifer (had to say it again--sorry!) that he couldn't see or think straight.  My husband and I saw that shit coming a mile away the moment Narcisse walked in with Daughter.  Hell, even Stevie Wonder could see it.  A part of me will always believe that Daughter knew what was up and was in on the plan to bring Chalky down and take over his business.  After all, she was the "honey pot" and knew it.  She just happened to fall for Chalky, and she and Narcisse started working at cross-purposes.

At the end of the day, at least for me, Chalky was one of the best characters created on this show and I still think it was a shitty send-off.  On a side note, the fade to black was used quite effectively here--unlike the way Chase ended the Sopranos.

• Love 5

The actor playing Joe Harper (the helper kid) is Travis Tope and he is 22-23 years old... I suppose it is possible that he is playing extremely young - approximately 10 years younger- but that seems unlikely IMO. That is why I am having a hard time seeing him as being Tommy Darmody. Tommy D was born in late 1917/early 1918, so he would only be 13 years in 1931, just turning 14 at the oldest. Would they really cast a 22-23 year old to play a young teenager?

• Love 1

I think they're going to have to play fast and lose with the dates in order to get Tommy the right age to confront Nucky, if that is indeed Tommy, and I think it is.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on our part, because we want to see it all come full circle at the end.

• Love 1

The killing of Van Alden did'nt have the suprise element for me. Not that I saw it coming, it seemed lacking in suspense. The gratuitous shot of his blown apart skull did'nt dispel the feeling that this great actor had been robbed of a more fleshed out ending for his character. The scene b/t Jeffrey Wright and Chalky was very well done. I think that these two actors are the best there is. I thought that the ending was very sad, and I actually teared up a little. One of the best things about this show has been the casting. 

• Love 3
I don't think Luciano can afford to have that sort of bald arrogance around him.  Narcisse would seem like the type who you would always have to be watching because he isn't loyal and he thinks he is smarter than everyone in the room.  So, I'm thinking Luciano may just kill him and put someone he likes better in his place.

The brothel is a good independent revenue stream for Luciano, who is trying to consolidate power, while still lying low from the old power structure. I think Narcisse knows that and is playing ball to survive. Luciano isn't going to off him unless he has someone better to take his place. As much as the mafia is violent, all the mass killings are spread pretty far apart. Luciano is trying to establish the mafia exec board so they can all operate quietly and make a lot of money. His point to Capone: same rules everywhere. So they don't have to shoot up every single city all the time. So, I don't think he'd be inclined to off Narcisse. If anyone does, I think it will be from his own circle. 

I think Narcisse might actually keep the promise, just to get her out of his life for good. He got rid of Chalky, he can let her go to Memphis and be a singer. 

Actually....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_Holstein

That having been noted, BE is a show, not a documentary, so here's hoping the good doctor gets his.

I knew Nelson was a goner as soon as he swung on Al.  No one lays hands on Capone and survives.  Didn't see Chalky coming (or better put, "going"), however.

• Love 2

Why didn't Chalky just shoot Narcisse?  Boom.  Or quietly choke him out?  Jump out of a window...  Escape...

Daughter is free to sing, Chalky has escaped worse situations.  While make the deal?

I felt like Scott Evil trying to talk Dr. Evil out of putting Austin Powers in an over complicated, easily escape-able situation.  Just shoot him in his head, tell the thugs outside they work for you now...

• Love 2