Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Devil You Know

And now you've got me thinking of how HBO would do an homage to the late Mickey Doyle..

The visuals?  Doyle looking beseechingly at a series of grim not-quite-reapers: Jimmy, Rothstein, Harrow...I know I've forgotten a few...capped off with whoever wins the jackpot.  The soundtrack?  Obviously.  A montage of giggles.  

IN MEMORIAM: Because Not Every Man Can Be Everyman. 

• Love 2

That certainly explains the almost cockroach-like persistence of Narcisse. :P

That is going to be the only thought that keeps my brain from exploding if they don't kill off that jackass in the next two episodes.  :)

If the kid really is Tommy, there would have to have been a letter from Richard, written "just in case", explaining everything, including the fact that it was Nucky who bumped off Jimmy  - which Richard claimed to understand the need for at the time when he confronted Nucky. In fact, considering Jimmy was his best friend, Richard handled the news with surprising calm.

So, unless Richard's supposed letter revealed some previously unshown anger towards Nucky, I can't think of why Tommy would target him, unless Richard's explanation went along the lines of, "your father died because he was trying to kill off Nucky Thompson" and that's all the kid needed to hear.

Sorry: this is a lot of thought just for a supposition of a plot twist we're only guessing about. ;)

• Love 2

That certainly explains the almost cockroach-like persistence of Narcisse. :P

So, in other words, there will be no way to simply get rid of him.  No defoggers, traps, sprays or even "motels" [where he checks in, but doesn't check out!] will be enough.  I'm not happy.

Doyle rescued chalky last episode. All for naught. Damn, show.

I know, right?  I just knew somehow Chalky's survivor's instinct would finally kick in.  But, once again his brain cells left the building when he saw  Daughter.  Le sighhhhh.... Speaking of daughters, did I fall asleep and miss what happened to Chalky's other daughter, as well as his son?

Speaking of daughters, did I fall asleep and miss what happened to Chalky's other daughter, as well as his son?

When White talked with Nucky, didn't Nuck say the rest of his family had moved away to St. Louis or someplace?

• Love 1

Thanks, you all, for the update on the rest of the White family.  I must have missed that conversation between Nucky and Chalky.

Although Lenore was well aware of what she was getting when she married Chalky, evidently there are some things that she didn't sign up for.  

Thanks you guys for pointing out that the young man from when Nucky wakes up in the alley might be Tommy Darmody. Hadn't occurred to me, but at this stage of the game, I'm getting lost in some of the plot points. I'm still trying to figure out the rhyme and reason of dedicating the final season to flashbacks and how they're going to tie that up in two more episodes.

• Love 1

I'm all for Joe Harper being Tommy Darmody, but am still scratching my head about how that would work. I doubt that Richard would have left a "just in case" letter as suggested above, simply because that doesn't fit Richard's character. He avenged Angela himself, and I don't recall him indicating that he needed to go any further with that. He was a soldier, and I believed his rationale that he viewed Jimmy as someone who chose to fight and then lost, therefore no vengeance needed. Even if he did think there was some unfinished business, I sincerely doubt that he would've wanted to drag Tommy into it, since season 4 showed him moving farther and farther away from that life and wanting to keep Julia and Tommy out of it. I guess it's possible that Gillian was writing to him, but I don't know how she would've gotten his address in Minnesota, and surely Julia would have read the letters first (at least in the beginning, when he was so young) and prevented him from being manipulated by her version of events. I wouldn't mind if he were the one to kill Nucky, but I just don't see how that story would come together.

After my initial reluctance, I actually really like the use of flashbacks and almost wish they would've been incorporated in earlier seasons (although more sparingly). I would have loved to see a "Nucky meets Eddie" flashback, or scenes of Nucky taking the reigns from the commodore, or meeting Chalky. I guess it wouldn't be crucial to the plot, but it would be fun.

I'm also appreciating some of the details this season, such as how the club on the Boardwalk has gotten seedier, which seems to be a reflection of Nucky's downward spiral. It's such a far cry from the classy Babette's Supper Club, which was the place to be seen for Atlantic City's elite, and the fabulous entertainment offered at Chalky's Onyx Club. I was also touched by how Eli, in the moments after van Alden was shot, kept murmuring "I'm so sorry June". Drunken dalliance with Sigrid aside, I loved the fact that Eli and June were such a devoted couple. Considering all the things Eli did and all his opportunities, I was always amazed that he never seemed interested in other women; it was definitely an unexpected character trait.

I'm just going to say it- I won't care if Narcisse survives. Yes he's horrible, but this isn't a story of good guys winning over the bad guys, and if he goes, there's just going to be some other horrible person taking his place running the brothels and heroin trade. I'm not invested in this story at this point, so if we don't see him again, that's fine. If he dies, that's fine too. I just don't want him to take too much screen time away from the characters I've come to know for the past five seasons.

Finally, I can't believe there's only two episodes left! They air in the UK almost a week after the US, so it's going to be REALLY difficult not to spoil myself for the final two. I spoiled myself this week and regret it, so I'm going to have to be super disciplined this time.

• Love 3
I'm just going to say it- I won't care if Narcisse survives. Yes he's horrible, but this isn't a story of good guys winning over the bad guys, and if he goes, there's just going to be some other horrible person taking his place running the brothels and heroin trade. I'm not invested in this story at this point, so if we don't see him again, that's fine. If he dies, that's fine too. I just don't want him to take too much screen time away from the characters I've come to know for the past five seasons.

The only purpose Narcisse had, was the Chalky storyline; now that's finished, Narcisse has no purpose on the show, so he can slither away and I don't have to see him again.  

What bothered me about Narcisse was that Jeffrey Wright played him too skeevey, so much so that I couldn't understand why anybody with a brain would want to be in the same room as he, or why anybody would give him any kind of power.  Like when he walked over to the little girl, it just screamed "PEDOPHILE" to me.  Ugh.

• Love 1

I still care, I want to see Narcisse get his comeuppance.  Chalky was one of my favorite characters on the show, a close second only to Richard.  And because of that Narcisse became a character I loathed with a passion.  The very thought of Chalky dying, and Narcisse continuing to live, happily make money infusing the black community with heroin while at the same time hypocritically selling them some bill of goods that he is a savior in the black community would anger me.  I want to see him go down.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 3

I'm all for Joe Harper being Tommy Darmody, but am still scratching my head about how that would work. I doubt that Richard would have left a "just in case" letter as suggested above, simply because that doesn't fit Richard's character. He avenged Angela himself, and I don't recall him indicating that he needed to go any further with that. He was a soldier, and I believed his rationale that he viewed Jimmy as someone who chose to fight and then lost, therefore no vengeance needed. Even if he did think there was some unfinished business, I sincerely doubt that he would've wanted to drag Tommy into it, since season 4 showed him moving farther and farther away from that life and wanting to keep Julia and Tommy out of it. I guess it's possible that Gillian was writing to him, but I don't know how she would've gotten his address in Minnesota, and surely Julia would have read the letters first (at least in the beginning, when he was so young) and prevented him from being manipulated by her version of events. I wouldn't mind if he were the one to kill Nucky, but I just don't see how that story would come together.

After my initial reluctance, I actually really like the use of flashbacks and almost wish they would've been incorporated in earlier seasons (although more sparingly). I would have loved to see a "Nucky meets Eddie" flashback, or scenes of Nucky taking the reigns from the commodore, or meeting Chalky. I guess it wouldn't be crucial to the plot, but it would be fun.

I'm also appreciating some of the details this season, such as how the club on the Boardwalk has gotten seedier, which seems to be a reflection of Nucky's downward spiral. It's such a far cry from the classy Babette's Supper Club, which was the place to be seen for Atlantic City's elite, and the fabulous entertainment offered at Chalky's Onyx Club. I was also touched by how Eli, in the moments after van Alden was shot, kept murmuring "I'm so sorry June". Drunken dalliance with Sigrid aside, I loved the fact that Eli and June were such a devoted couple. Considering all the things Eli did and all his opportunities, I was always amazed that he never seemed interested in other women; it was definitely an unexpected character trait.

Word to all this, you expressed exactly what I was feeling but couldn't say so clearly! thank you.

• Love 2

Thanks NutMeg!

Two small observations about Nucky and Mabel.

1) Neither one was wearing a wedding ring. It may not mean anything, but I noticed it.

2) If this pregnancy is THE pregnancy, then I'm surprised that it happened so early, leaving Nucky a widower for more than 20 years. But it also made me think that the timing will make the flashbacks/Nucky's life even more horrible than we realised. Namely, Nucky will hand Gillian over to the Commodore with the express purpose of getting ahead, and then his reward will be more responsibilities that in turn take his attention away from Mabel and the baby, and we all know how that ended. I knew all of those things happened, but I assumed they took place years apart. If there really is a direct correlation between those events, then holy shit. That certainly sheds new light on the Nucky/Gillian/Jimmy relationship, and good god, that must have done a number on Nucky's psyche. I can't wait to see how this plays out. 

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 3

Reading the thread way for BE to kill of Narcisse reminds me of a question I had last week, in the vein or did this really happen back then: Daughter's daughter was carrying a doll which was very dark-skinned - darker than Chalky - and I'm wondering when the first dolls with darker skins were first created. If they didn't exist back then, was it a way to tell her that the little girl was carrying a part of Chalky's with her (seeing as he was the darkest skinned of them all)?