Type keyword(s) to search

Suggestions for improving the show

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

When the All Stars reunion was being discussed, I realized there was an easy fix to one complaint that shows up regularly, and that is the matter of the fabric.  Really easy to fix.  In at least one episode (or more), give the designers all the same fabric. They would then be tested solely on their ability to design and not given credit (or demerits) for the fabric they used. Maybe we would see less lace and neoprene that way.  The downside is no more Swatch, but he could bring the basket of fabric.  I look forward to seeing the little Boston Terrier more than watching designers tear up Mood, truth be told. Or they could go to Mood for notions only. 

I think Swatch died; the new dog is Oscar.  

Give them more time for the challenges; we see better and more interesting clothes.   And stop the All Stars, it just is not good.  Go back to when this show worked.  I like the models being part of it, too.  It seems Heidi does not have her heart in this and that is a problem.  Make this a more serious show, it used to be.  The seasons on Bravo were fabulous.  I don't think it is about the network unless it has to do with a smaller budget, which it very well may.  

I am not fond of the challenges where the models are children or regular people either.  The designers don't like them.  I like to see the designers happy and inspired.  It isn't fun to watch them excited about their pieces.  

I have started watching the Great British Baking Show this season and it gave me an idea of maybe how to improve this show.  On TGBS, the chefs can bring their own pans, utensils, and ingredients in preparation for the next challenge.  

I wonder if PR results would improve if the designers were able to bring pre-made patterns for various kinds of garments.  They would still be required to actually make the garment while on the show, but at least they would have something to help with the basic mechanics and help mitigate the time crunch.  It might get more actual design in the competition.   I supposed there is the danger that someone else did the designing and pattern making, though.

Or maybe have the show provide standard patterns for pants, etc.

• Love 1

Considering the direction this competition is taking it could maybe be, My bologna has a first name....

I don't know who's cheaping out, Lifetime or the Weinsteins, but an injection of capital might help.

Spend money to make money. Pursue sponsors beyond Sally and MaryKay. If the show's principals are so damn busy with other projects make it worth their while to better concentrate on a show that they all have to know can be better. Get guest judges more easily recognizable as fashion savvy.

Stop with the manufactured drama. Didn't the designers used to do that all on their own?

• Love 2

I think Swatch died; the new dog is Oscar.

Has this been confirmed?  I couldn't find it anywhere using a quick Google search.  If so, I would hope they would give a short "In Memoriam" tribute since he was such a popular little guy.

• Love 2

Ditch the current judges. Nina is LONG played out, and Zac, who everyone gushed about for a while, in my opinion has turned out to be both more viscous and even more arbitrary than Michael Kors ever was. Heidi is necessary to keep I suppose, just because she's the face of the franchise, and her job gives her an automatic "judge" role too.

Stop eliciting catty Talking Heads. In fact, go one step further, because now contestants after years of watching the show expect they HAVE to be catty in those to get airtime... so the producers in fact need to give specific instructions to be honest, but not catty. 

Clearly... we all want longer challenges. Yes it ups their production budget. Pay the damn judges less if that's a problem!!! Or I'd even accept more ad sponsorship for the show to pay for it. Sure the stupid accessory wall, subsidized hair care and makeup ALREADY net them sponsorship bucks, but if one more pay off allows them to go to a longer production cycle? Then DO it.

Fuck Team Challenges. I know there are production reasons they do them. I don't care. "Make it work" without them. Either that, or find a way to reinvent them that's fairer and less about someone destroying someone else's chances.

If they really ARE designers and not seamstresses, use that. This may also be the solution to the short challenges (the only way to KEEP them short, if they insist). How?  Give them assistants. Not always. Just for certain challenges. Make the task about MANAGING people. And unlike Team Challenges, people who's own visions or strategy won't get in the way. This is something Fashion Star actually got right (although as I said, P.R. could mix things up more and have both challenges where they get assistants and ones where they don't, case by case).

More Guest Mentors. With or without Tim along, if they want to get away from endless catfights another way to introduce conflict is advice they are given. So give a greater cross-section of it to them. Have more guest mentors giving advice mid-challenge.  We may on some level hate it when they change course mid-challenge then because of Tim's advice get even worse judge reactions, but Tim is going to be there doing that no matter what. Introducing yet MORE opinions makes the process both more dramatic, as they pick through more potential negativity, but also in a way fairer, because it can't then just be blamed on Tim's opinion every time.

Try a TRUE international season. If it inconveniences Heidi.. tough. If Paris is too tough logistically as a base, try London. Invite (English speaking) people from the whole world.  Yes, make sure at least 3 or 4 very "American" designers are there too, just for audience identification.  But a setting outside NY (or LA was lame too) would be neat.

If doing a season in London inconveniences not only Heidi but Zac and Nina?  Again.. fuck them. There's the excuse to try new judges for you. Heidi will show if the producers insist. Zac and Nina can suck it.

• Love 3

Clearly... we all want longer challenges. Yes it ups their production budget. Pay the damn judges less if that's a problem!!! Or I'd even accept more ad sponsorship for the show to pay for it. Sure the stupid accessory wall, subsidized hair care and makeup ALREADY net them sponsorship bucks, but if one more pay off allows them to go to a longer production cycle? Then DO it.

Fuck Team Challenges. I know there are production reasons they do them. I don't care. "Make it work" without them. Either that, or find a way to reinvent them that's fairer and less about someone destroying someone else's chances.

They could do longer challenges without upping the budget if they started with fewer contestants. Who remembers the first 4 contestants auf'ed? Or start with the usual number, give them 2 challenges to make a place for themselves before doing an elimination, and auf at least 4 people after the 2nd challenge. Or go even bigger. Give them 4 challenges then auf HALF the contestants.

For another way to up the challenge budgets, eliminate that stupid last minute trip that everyone gushes over when we all know they're really thinking "I've got to take TWO transatlantic/international flights in 2 days and design and outfit at the same time? I'm not going to have to time to sightsee OR sleep!".

Either they're flying commercial and they have all the time wasted on the usual post 911 flying security stuff, or they have a chartered flight which saves time and costs more. I've always wondered if they really do these trips in the time frame they say they do... it just seems so cruel to subject the contestants to something like that and then tell them they all have to gush and drool over the possibility of flying all night to Paris in order to wander around for 2 hours, then go to unfamiliar fabric stores for 30 minutes, and fly home (sleeping on the plane) doing their fittings, finishing and then doing a runway. Or start sewing in some new place (that probably doesn't even have windows) then fly home.

I like team challenges. We really find out a lot about the contestants during them. Most of these people are going to have to work for other people for a large portion of their careers. At the very least, they are definitely going to have to work WITH other people. I think the team challenge is the one challenge where eliminating people based on behavior is justified.

Edited by slothgirl

I like team challenges. We really find out a lot about the contestants during them. Most of these people are going to have to work for other people for a large portion of their careers. At the very least, they are definitely going to have to work WITH other people. I think the team challenge is the one challenge where eliminating people based on behavior is justified.

Yeah, but the difference is that the people they work with in real life are in a different relationship. They may even be competitors (for notice, recognition, etc.) but nobody gets fired over one outfit. You'll rarely have someone so incompetent or so up their own ass in real life that they'll be hired or fired over that one outfit. The competition between people in real life is indirect. Also, there are more frequently going to be clear lines of authority. Even if one of them isn't a boss of the other (which would probably be the default), they'd THEN have a common boss to mediate or consider.  That's all why the "they have to work with other people in real life" argument is, I'm sorry, not the strongest argument, because there's always the comeback "not like this". And working with someone you don't get along with in real life doesn't come with extreme time pressure added in, usually.

That's why I suggested the alternative of having (occasional) assistants. That way we get to see how these contestants are at delegating and managing--something the show hasn't covered before. Maybe if collaboration explicitly needs to be tested, that's a reason to keep the normal team challenges for at least one pass, but at the very least with an Assistant task they'd have some variety.

• Love 3

re: Swatch - he's certainly still featured on Mood's webpage and facebook page, so I'm guessing he's fine. He must be getting up in years, though.

From one of the website blog posts (tips for new visitors to the store): 

• Swatch, the Boston terrier who is Mood’s mascot and a star of Project Runway, is frequently in the store. He is a very mellow dog who loves people, especially children. But, if dogs are not your thing, just let us know when you arrive and Swatch will go to one of his spots where he is away from customers.

http://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/561612_10152234684505147_1200625212_n-225x300.jpg

FB post from October 6:

"What is Swatch's favorite fabric you ask... We'll [sic] here is the answer complimentary of the ‪#‎MoodGuide‬."

Cute picture to accompany, with the answer: 

https://www.facebook.com/mood.fabrics/photos/a.10150552790660147.644384.134465660146/10156095429995147/?type=3

And so that I'm on topic, I agree - more Swatch! I have no other suggestions beyond those others have mentioned, with allowing enough time to do good work being high on my list. Also, if you have to choose, I prefer designers who have ideas but aren't top notch sewers over excellent sewers who have no ideas.

Edited by akr
  • Love 1

Yeah, but the difference is that the people they work with in real life are in a different relationship. They may even be competitors (for notice, recognition, etc.) but nobody gets fired over one outfit. You'll rarely have someone so incompetent or so up their own ass in real life that they'll be hired or fired over that one outfit. The competition between people in real life is indirect. Also, there are more frequently going to be clear lines of authority. Even if one of them isn't a boss of the other (which would probably be the default), they'd THEN have a common boss to mediate or consider.  That's all why the "they have to work with other people in real life" argument is, I'm sorry, not the strongest argument, because there's always the comeback "not like this". And working with someone you don't get along with in real life doesn't come with extreme time pressure added in, usually.

Have to agree to disagree then. IME working under extreme time pressure happens frequently in work situations, and is also a fairly consistent way to turn people you enjoy into people you don't like working with. When you already didn't like working with them, it can be hell.

However, people in the real world eventually (hopefully) learn to suck it up and get along. They also eventually (again, hopefully) learn that the shorter the time frame that you have to work with a difficult person, the EASIER it can be because you don't have to face the fact that you are stuck in this nightmare indefinitely. In the working world, you have to learn to deal with people you don't like, and you have to learn to do it in extreme circumstances sometimes. And plenty of managers don't want to have to mediate between professionals who can't get along or come to a consensus. They want underlings to STFU and do their damn job. Let go of a little ego and get it done.

Also, I can't remember someone on the winning team EVER being eliminated on this show during a team challenge, so viewing your teammates as competition rather than partners is counterproductive. Your best bet is always to do everything you can to make sure you are on the winning team, even if it means improving your teammates' work over your own. If you have the best outfit on the losing team, you will stay, but it's still riskier to take a chance on having the best of bad outfits than making sure everyone on your team as a great look. It's hard to predict who the judges will think had the best or worst look on a losing team. (of course it's also hard to predict which team they will pick, but that's usually pretty obvious after a certain point).

I seem to remember they might also eliminate someone on the losing team based on bad leadership (when they appoint a leader) or based on who everyone else says dragged the team down (not so much this season obviously)

The only reason that so many of the contestants on this show have so much trouble with team challenges is that too many of them are Prima Donnas with over-inflated opinions of their own talent and worth. For that reason alone, I think team challenges are important because they need to get over themselves in a big way. I'm always appalled at how many say they don't want to do any team challenges right from the get-go when they arrive. Do they really think that they will be able to go directly to successful clothing lines (and collect $200 without "passing Go" by working for someone else) at the stage most of them are at in their careers?

Yes. Yes, many of them do. It's delusional.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2
I'm always appalled at how many say they don't want to do any team challenges right from the get-go when they arrive. Do they really think that they will be able to go directly to successful clothing lines (and collect $200 without "passing Go" by working for someone else) at the stage most of them are at in their careers?

I always just assume that they don't want to be at the mercy of somebody else's mistakes (although plenty of them do go on about wanting to show who they are - and given that they are paid only in exposure and experience, that's somewhat understandable).   But if they look at it as an extended job interview/audition for every other job they will get in their life in the industry, seems like a good idea to show that you are not impossible to work with!

Edited by akr
  • Love 3

That's why I suggested the alternative of having (occasional) assistants. That way we get to see how these contestants are at delegating and managing--something the show hasn't covered before. Maybe if collaboration explicitly needs to be tested, that's a reason to keep the normal team challenges for at least one pass, but at the very least with an Assistant task they'd have some variety.

Maybe they could do something like Top Chef's Restaurant Wars (or what I think that is like; I haven't watched very many seasons of Top Chef). They could have Design Studio Wars (or some similar name). In the previous episode, two people would win, and those two would be the bosses. That means they wouldn't just pick the teams, but they would be in charge of the teams and could tell people what to do. Then they wouldn't have to waste a day trying to figure out what they wanted to do because either no one wants to be in charge or everyone wants to be in charge. If they waste that kind of time, it means the head designer can't manage the team.

• Love 1

Ditch the current judges. Nina is LONG played out, and Zac, who everyone gushed about for a while, in my opinion has turned out to be both more viscous and even more arbitrary than Michael Kors ever was. Heidi is necessary to keep I suppose, just because she's the face of the franchise, and her job gives her an automatic "judge" role too.

I would like to see Nina, Tim, and Zac all get the boot, but even just replacing Zac would be a huge improvement. Looking at the work he produces, he has some nerve to criticize other people's designs. He's bitchy, and not appealingly so, and looks like a toilet brush in a suit.

• Love 5

Zac ... has some nerve to criticize other people's designs.

Yeah, I'm still steamed that he spoke so derrogatively of "Nancy Kerrigan's skating dress" in the red carpet challenge. Vera Wang is MILES above Zac, and that is who he was effectively dissing.

• Love 1
They could do longer challenges without upping the budget if they started with fewer contestants. Who remembers the first 4 contestants auf'ed? Or start with the usual number, give them 2 challenges to make a place for themselves before doing an elimination, and auf at least 4 people after the 2nd challenge. Or go even bigger. Give them 4 challenges then auf HALF the contestants.

I like this concept, but I'd go with starting with fewer contestants as a Plan A.  They're scraping the bottom of the barrel, imho.  Why burn through the contestant pool more quickly by bringing on so many?

It would be nice to see it more brutal, though.  If there's doubt, let a bunch go.  And if the remaining contestants suck at the halfway point, have a challenge where the eliminated get to battle their way back- taking the place of one or more of the others based on scores.  I'm finding the genre as a whole a bit stale on this front, PR might as well lead the way towards something different than the traditional one-off-per-episode routine (only other thought I've had about this is cumulative scores and no eliminations, which would be more for a singing show where fewer people means more filler so it's stupid to keep cutting the cast, imho).

I also like the idea of assistants.  Maybe make it a competition for them too and have the designers occasionally swap like they used to do with models back in the day.  Something needs to up the construction game here, I think, especially since the judges look closely now.  That could do it while adding a fun new source of tension if there's drama around whose ideas are in the garment.

I want them to sew. That's always been a part of the show, and I still want that part included. It may not be a popular opinion, but there it is. Those other shows where they had assistants became more about the drama between the "designer" and the assistants than it did about fashion, once again.

I was rewatching some old seasons last week when I was bored and it was SHOCKING to me how many credible guest judges there were once upon a time. Fashion designers, CFOs for fashion houses, fashion insiders... I mean, OMG, even Rachel Zoe has more fashion cred than some of the people they have on there now (I'm  looking at you, MelB, even though I like you as a person). Mel was only on the show because she and Heidi are friends, FFS. Makes me wonder if they can't get that caliber of guest judge any longer or if the show just won't spring for the bucks anymore.

I dunno... maybe it's time for all new judges, hosts and mentor? I know I'm certainly tired of Tim and Nina.

• Love 1

When the All Stars reunion was being discussed, I realized there was an easy fix to one complaint that shows up regularly, and that is the matter of the fabric.  Really easy to fix.  In at least one episode (or more), give the designers all the same fabric. They would then be tested solely on their ability to design and not given credit (or demerits) for the fabric they used. Maybe we would see less lace and neoprene that way.  The downside is no more Swatch, but he could bring the basket of fabric.  I look forward to seeing the little Boston Terrier more than watching designers tear up Mood, truth be told. Or they could go to Mood for notions only. 

This is an idea I've thought of, too.  I think it would be really fun to see what a big, diverse group of designers would do with the same fabric.

• Love 2

One thing I've thought about is having a first episode that is a semi-final. When I watched Road to the Runway, I saw a lot of good work by the designers which made me excited to see what they would produce during the season.  And again, as usual, there are very few fantastic designs, mostly OK or bad stuff.  The designers being picked may be good designers but most turn out not to be good Project Runway designers, able to execute good ideas well in a short time frame. Kelly is the only one succeeding at this--it's as though a light bulb suddenly turned on in her head and she got how to do this.

So, have approximately 30 contestants in the first episode compete in a challenge with the one-day time constraint. Maybe they could make this a more difficult challenge w/a shorter time frame. Heidi, Zac and Nina would judge the results. Then select the top 14 or 16 they need for the show and eliminate the rest. There might be fewer duds.

I want them to sew. That's always been a part of the show, and I still want that part included. It may not be a popular opinion, but there it is. Those other shows where they had assistants became more about the drama between the "designer" and the assistants than it did about fashion, once again.

Why not test both?

The idea of assistants wasn't to replace them sewing in the whole show. It was to replace them sewing in some episodes. The idea being that the way they do it now has become very predictable, and certainly doesn't test all the skills needed to be a successful designer. So test both skills, in different parts of the process.

Yeah, I'd be okay with that if it was just a one off to see how they direct a team of seamstresses/seamsters....

I also REALLY like the idea that whims and CJ had about making them use the same fabric for one challenge so no one could claim they got hosed by a bad fabric choice et. al.

I know they did that in season two when they sent all the prospective designers the muslin they all HAD to use, but they also had a week to do something with it. It was interesting though, that many rose to the occasion and many blew it off. The ones who blew it off went home, as well they should have.

Also, they had a lot of one day challenges in the early seasons, just like they do now. I think the MAIN and major difference is the definition of one day challenge since season six as opposed to the first five: for the one day challenges in the earlier seasons, they might still have 10 hours or so for their garment, plus the usual couple of hours on the day of runway. If you follow what many of the designers have said about the later seasons (six and on; okay, obviously the Lifetime years), their one day challenges have sometimes been as short as FIVE hours. If they're going to continue with the one day challenge as the rule, then at least let them get their fabric early and have from say, 10 am to midnight. That's more in line with what they used to do and was much more successful, in my opinion.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

I wonder if PR results would improve if the designers were able to bring pre-made patterns for various kinds of garments.

I think this is the last thing they should do considering the dwindling skill levels of applicants on the show. If they allowed this, it'll just become Project Runway McCall edition.

I think this is the last thing they should do considering the dwindling skill levels of applicants on the show. If they allowed this, it'll just become Project Runway McCall edition.

I meant patterns that the designers themselves designed and made.

Since designers already come in with a bag of tricks and I'm sure they have designs in mind, this would save time on the grunt work to get a garment out in a continually dwindling time frame.  Skills do seem to be dwindling, but the time frame keeps shrinking too.  The last "two-day" challenge seemed to be only until 9pm on day one and 5pm on day two, or something like that.

Of course, extending the time frame for challenges would be ideal.

Hi.....well I hope they keep Swatch....and maybe get him a little buddy cause he must be getting up there in dog years (waaaaaa)

More Swatch...less Tim, No Nina....hey No Tim is ok too

I watched a crazy reality show 1 season on Youtube...Rhianna was the "host"...producer, poo bah...the show was about designing for stage, musicians, more hip hop etc....but...Rhianna only came on first and last episodes...she had mentors, judges with the contestants and she came on via "remote" on the tv screen...

which Heidi could do if she is so busy...she could do a couple shows "remotely" 

and get new better judges and mentors

I am sick of Nina whining about "Mumsy" and "too old". 

Less contestants would be fine - spare a couple of the sob stories, and the true odd ball that goes early anyhow. 

I have watched all seasons and I don't like some of the "Bravo" designers so no big deal to me...but I do think they need some longer challenges, bigger budgets

I liked challenges where they had to do something inspired by a designer, Chanel, Halston etc

I would like a challenge where they make over a uniform for a restaurant or airline or whatever

One unconventional challenge per season is more than enough IMHO

I do think they may have a problem getting really good designers cause of the editing, the few past contestants who had viable careers from the show..

in fact some of the bad edits make you wonder how these designers would ever get a job when teamwork, responsibility, being nice would be taken into consideration. 

If you watch Face Off they have good contestants, less drama, mostly relevant challenges to their chosen and future field of special effects makeup

I dislike the stuff like "paintball" and any other non fashion sort of time filler. Not cute, not fun. Lastly...please no more golden child whose "backstory" means they can't even critique her designs (Ashley). I would use the old analogyof "Hippopotamus in the living room" but I am sure that would offend though it is very true.

Emperoress has no clothes? 

Edited by still hoping

Hi.....well I hope they keep Swatch....and maybe get him a little buddy cause he must be getting up there in dog years (waaaaaa)

A few people upthread claim he's deceased.

He wouldn't have to be though. According to this article, he was 5 years old in June 2012.  If true, he's only be around 8 and a half now.  Which might be all some dog breeds get, but many can live twice that.

• Love 1

Some bulldogs have shortened lifespans because the pushed in nose can cause respiratory problems. Not sure about the Bostons.

Howard Stern had a bulldog that died young for partly that reason, iirc. He has advocated for bulldogs to not continue being bred, too many health issues affect their quality of life.

I think they can improve this show with more trips to Mood and fewer unconventional challenges.

I can't find a trace of it now but I thought there was a reference to a second Swatch (not the dog in Los Angeles but another Boston Bulldog/Terrier in New York).  But of course I can find no trace of that now.  I hate having a flaky memory.  8 1/2 would not be old for a dog that size unless s/he had other health problems.  

I know it's cynical of me, but I can entirely believe them replacing an original Swatch with a 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc.) dog named Swatch to keep up a branding/public draw (people visit the store just to see the Dog, I bet, and if Mood is lucky walk out with purchases).

Or past tense, perhaps already having done so. I mean the dog being 5 in 2012 sounds... younger than I'd have expected. When did he first show his snout on TV again?

Project Season 1 was 2004, remember.  Not saying Swatch has always been on it, if its all been one dog, does it make sense he didn't appear till Season 5 (2008) or 6ish (2009)--unless the dog was a puppy on the show, to look like an adult you figure it would have had to have been that late?

EDIT: Dogster.com: Tim Gunn Is Great, But Swatch the Boston Terrier Is the Real Star of “Project Runway” (there are a bunch of photos of the little guy there too).  It doesn't answer the question 100%, but seems to indicate that there was no Swatch on the show till 2007 (so it WOULD be him as a puppy) and that he only gradually was phased onto the show. While it emotionally seems as if Swatch has always been there on the show, this would argue that's not the case (he might have showed up as early as Season 4 under this, but not a lot until 5 or 6).

AKarBLt.jpg

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

I would do a cumulative score, but slightly twisted:  give 1 point for first place, 2 for second, etc. but the lowest score is the winner.  I would do at least two challenges before aufing 2-4 contestants.  When we get down to the final 5, I would give them a week off (or whatever the length of a challenge is) and have the eliminees come back and do a challenge for a chance to get back on the show.  I would also have the judges' scores be transparent--let's see what they actually gave each contestant.  Give a score for originality, one for execution, and one for overall impression, say 5 points for each.  In the case of a tie, the execution score could be the tiebreaker (or either of the other ones, but have a means in place to break the tie).

I would also do some changes to the challenges.  I like the unconventional materials challenge, but one per season is enough.  I would do specific challenges, such as (referencing tonight) a plus size challenge where everyone has a plus size model.  A challenge where everyone must use the same material.  I like someone's idea of a not today challenge, where the judges take away a crutch each designer has used too often, like no pleats for Ashley, no draped sleeveless dresses for Anya, no black for numerous people, etc.  Take away the well they go to too often, and see how they adapt.  Give each designer a famous painting as inspiration and have them do a modern take on it.  Do an avant garde challenge (I will always remember the dress Christian and Chris made).  Make a bridal gown.  Make a formal outfit for an older woman.  Have one week be a free-for-all:  make anything you want that expresses your point of view.  Take a losing look and redesign it to make it better (I know they've done that before, but it's one I like.)  Have a week where everyone must use a solid color for their garment, then a week where everyone must use a patterned fabric.  Have a week where everyone must make a garment with sleeves.

This might be the most provocative idea, but midway through a challenge, stop the challenge, pull out the button bag, and have each designer finish someone else's garment (but do this on a non-elimination week so no one gets auf'd).

I guess I want challenges where the playing field seems a little more level, and the parameters aren't so arbitrary and random.

• Love 4

Things I'd Like to See

* Less one-day challenges. It really stunts the creativity of the designers and makes the show suffer in return. I'm okay with maybe 1 or 2 one day challenges, but make sure the challenge at hand makes it possible for those to be done in only one day.

* I'd love to see them bring in the androgyny challenge again like they did in All-Stars 2. I think this would be really interesting to see how they go about this (Emilio and Uli's looks in that challenge were amazing).

* Have at least one challenge for menswear, plus size, avant garde, and real women (granted the last two can overlap but not every real woman is plus sized). By that I mean you have one episode of menswear, one episode of plus size, etc.

* Maybe about 2 or so unconventional materials challenges

* Maybe even have a challenge for older women. Hey, older women want to look good too!

* I'd personally love to see a challenge much like in Season 2 (was that the one?) where they dressed up dogs though I'd like to see a dog walker and dog challenge. And this time, include both smaller and larger breeds.

* Highly encourage more color being used than just black. 

* Evaluate team challenges a little better. If someone really brings down the team, they should be up for elimination even if they were on the winning team.

• Love 1

Give the designers more time. They need more time to create a design. "Okay designers you have 30 minutes to design an evening dress using only labels from used tunafish cans and volley balls. Your design MUST be creative, flattering, and marketable." The designers need more time to make their designs. "Okay designers you have one day to create your masterpieces. Your dresses better be well-sewn and fit your models like a glove." The show has gone from a skills-based quality fashion TV show to a high school home-ec class.

• Love 2

Give the designers more time. They need more time to create a design. "Okay designers you have 30 minutes to design an evening dress using only labels from used tunafish cans and volley balls. Your design MUST be creative, flattering, and marketable." The designers need more time to make their designs. "Okay designers you have one day to create your masterpieces. Your dresses better be well-sewn and fit your models like a glove." The show has gone from a skills-based quality fashion TV show to a high school home-ec class.

Your ideas would be spot on and sounded like they were taken right out of the show if it weren't missing the obligatory out-of-place sponsorship.

ie. "...you have 30 minutes to design an evening dress using only labels from trendy and youthful Chicken of the Sea tunafish cans and brilliantly innovative Spalding volley balls. Your design MUST be creative, flattering, and marketable just like Chick-fil-A restaurants, now featuring their amazing new tasty gizzard and entrails wraps!"

• Love 5

I would do a cumulative score, but slightly twisted:  give 1 point for first place, 2 for second, etc. but the lowest score is the winner.  I would do at least two challenges before aufing 2-4 contestants.  When we get down to the final 5, I would give them a week off (or whatever the length of a challenge is) and have the eliminees come back and do a challenge for a chance to get back on the show.  I would also have the judges' scores be transparent--let's see what they actually gave each contestant.  Give a score for originality, one for execution, and one for overall impression, say 5 points for each.  In the case of a tie, the execution score could be the tiebreaker (or either of the other ones, but have a means in place to break the tie).

I would also do some changes to the challenges.  I like the unconventional materials challenge, but one per season is enough.  I would do specific challenges, such as (referencing tonight) a plus size challenge where everyone has a plus size model.  A challenge where everyone must use the same material.  I like someone's idea of a not today challenge, where the judges take away a crutch each designer has used too often, like no pleats for Ashley, no draped sleeveless dresses for Anya, no black for numerous people, etc.  Take away the well they go to too often, and see how they adapt.  Give each designer a famous painting as inspiration and have them do a modern take on it.  Do an avant garde challenge (I will always remember the dress Christian and Chris made).  Make a bridal gown.  Make a formal outfit for an older woman.  Have one week be a free-for-all:  make anything you want that expresses your point of view.  Take a losing look and redesign it to make it better (I know they've done that before, but it's one I like.)  Have a week where everyone must use a solid color for their garment, then a week where everyone must use a patterned fabric.  Have a week where everyone must make a garment with sleeves.

This might be the most provocative idea, but midway through a challenge, stop the challenge, pull out the button bag, and have each designer finish someone else's garment (but do this on a non-elimination week so no one gets auf'd).

I guess I want challenges where the playing field seems a little more level, and the parameters aren't so arbitrary and random.

I love everything in this post. I usually edit a post when I quote it, but this is all so good, it bears repeating!

the androgyny challenge again like they did in All-Stars 2. I think this would be really interesting to see how they go about this (Emilio and Uli's looks in that challenge were amazing)

I don't remember if it was really an androgeny challenge or if it was just "dress a man and a woman", but my jaw literally (yes, I am literally using the word "literally" literally) dropped when his 2 models appeared. That was one of PR's best moments.

ie. "...you have 30 minutes to design an evening dress using only labels from trendy and youthful Chicken of the Sea tunafish cans and brilliantly innovative Spalding volley balls. Your design MUST be creative, flattering, and marketable just like Chick-fil-A restaurants, now featuring their amazing new tasty gizzard and entrails wraps!"

You owe me a new keyboard!

• Love 2

Oscar is the LA dog. He is (of course) a Chihuahua. It would not surprise me actually if there were successive Swatches, like the successive Lassies.  But I had not heard this.

If they really ARE designers and not seamstresses, use that. This may also be the solution to the short challenges (the only way to KEEP them short, if they insist). How?  Give them assistants.

Good god no.  I actually WATCHED The Fashion Show and Launch My Line and 24-hour Catwalk.  AWFUL.  More true to fashion designer life perhaps but no no no.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I sincerely hope that PR Jr. is a great success and Tim Gunn can just leave regular PR for someone else to mentor.

I'd like to see them bring back Joanna Coles (who used to do Project Runway All Stars), except they probably can't because she's at Cosmopolitan now, and Marie Claire would object. I liked her, though, and her repeated observations about needing to design things that can be worn with a bra.

• Love 1

A lot of good ideas here but I hate team challenges and definitely don't want to see more of them. I also don't want to see challenges with sewing assistants either. I think the easiest thing they could do to improve the show is longer challenges. More time is always going to equal better designs.

Some of my least favorite challenges have been menswear challenges so I hope we never see them again. I can't forget how horrible the designs were for the Thunder from Down Under and the Sheepdogs. Please no more men!

I think a plus size challenge or even a petite model challenge would be awesome.

I like the inspiration challenges but I'm bored of the basic New York city inspiration challenges. How about a trip to the zoo and have the designers use an animal for inspiration. They could also do a trip an aquarium, a church, a planetarium, a cemetery or a farm.

Also, no need to fly the designers to Europe for one day. They could do shorter trips like to Nigeria Falls, Washington DC or the Hamptons.

After watching a little of Tim Gunn's Ultimate Throwback Thursday last night, my suggestion would be to never, ever, ever show a clip starring Sparkle Josh ever, ever, ever again.

Ever.

More Swatch...less Tim, No Nina....hey No Tim is ok too

I watched a crazy reality show 1 season on Youtube...Rhianna was the "host"...producer, poo bah...the show was about designing for stage, musicians, more hip hop etc....but...Rhianna only came on first and last episodes...she had mentors, judges with the contestants and she came on via "remote" on the tv screen...

which Heidi could do if she is so busy...she could do a couple shows "remotely"

and get new better judges and mentors

I am sick of Nina whining about "Mumsy" and "too old".

Less contestants would be fine - spare a couple of the sob stories, and the true odd ball that goes early anyhow.

I have watched all seasons and I don't like some of the "Bravo" designers so no big deal to me...but I do think they need some longer challenges, bigger budgets

I liked challenges where they had to do something inspired by a designer, Chanel, Halston etc

I would like a challenge where they make over a uniform for a restaurant or airline or whatever

One unconventional challenge per season is more than enough IMHO

I do think they may have a problem getting really good designers cause of the editing, the few past contestants who had viable careers from the show..

in fact some of the bad edits make you wonder how these designers would ever get a job when teamwork, responsibility, being nice would be taken into consideration.

If you watch Face Off they have good contestants, less drama, mostly relevant challenges to their chosen and future field of special effects makeup

I dislike the stuff like "paintball" and any other non fashion sort of time filler. Not cute, not fun. Lastly...please no more golden child whose "backstory" means they can't even critique her designs (Ashley). I would use the old analogyof "Hippopotamus in the living room" but I am sure that would offend though it is very true.

Emperoress has no clothes?

They did a team challenge in S11, Ep 3, where they designed/made over uniforms for various staff/servers at the NYC location of a "ping pong bar/social club" called SPiN, which is (was?) co-owned by Oscar-winning actress/activist Susan Sarandon & her romantic partner at the time (they've since ended at least the personal relationship). Here's a link to Tom & Lorenzo's blog about it:

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2013/02/pr-s11e3-balls-to-the-wall/

Or... Zac has been signed (or whatever) to design new uniforms for cabin crew members & customer service agents at Delta Air Lines, & to consult on the design for new uniforms for other Delta ground staff. They aren't supposed to "debut" until 2018; maybe they could help Zac design them since there's so much lead time available.

http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/delta-flight-attendants-wear-zac-posen-uniforms-article-1.2209323

By the way, the word "Emperoress" is actually "Empress".

Edited by BW Manilowe

I have an idea for improving the show. I watched the documentary, "The September Issue," on a plane recently. It's about Vogue's largest issue ever and focused on Anna Wintour and fashion photographer Grace Waddington. 

It'd be great if Project Runway could have one or both of these women on as guest judges. I know it's a longshot -- there's bad blood between Tim Gunn and Anna W.  But wouldn't that make for even better television?!

The show needs to get some high profile designers/celebrities on, instead of C-list stars promoting tv shows. Dianne von Furstenberg was on the first season... Can anyone make this happen???

No menswear. The results are almost always awful.

Uniforms

Flight attendant, restaurant, Olympic, mail/ package delivery, hotel staff, zoo, NASA, whatever

Costumes

professional wrestling, ice skating, drag, broadway, movie (period piece, contemporary, and futuristic), halloween, cirque du soleil, ballet, musician or for a music video

Existing line/style

Designing a look that would fit into an existing line (hopefully not Heidi's). I love this challenge because it forces them to think about cohesion and adapting their style to fit someone else's. It also makes them consider how to manufacture a garment.

I also really liked the Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute challenge where the designers had to make an updated outfit inspired by a historical designer. So many of the designers have no education about the history of fashion and costume design.

There are tons of lessons to be learned from Face Off, Top Chef, and even Ink Master. What I like about those shows is:

• They try not to cast assholes on Face Off. They often have them creating pieces that need to allow the performer to move, but are visually striking both near and far.
  • Top Chef often has these very specific theme and variation challenges. They've had at least two challenges where they had to make dishes using the escoffier mother sauces. It's a challenge that tests your fundamentals and your ability to adapt.
  • Ink Master basically requires the contestants to learn a new tattoo style every week. They also have to be really on top of their time management because you can't let someone walk out of the show with a half finished tattoo. 

Other ideas: working with a character designer to create costumes for the character, creating an outfit for your model/client to wear to an event that evening where the designers are also in attendance, creating an outfit to highlight your model/client's best feature and downplay their worst as identified by the model/client, and branded sports team apparel (the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA have been trying to sell more merchandise to women, but all they've really produced is slimmer fit tees. If you've been to a southern college football game, you'll know that there's a market for really feminine sports fan apparel).

Fewer one day challenges!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6
On 10/27/2015 at 7:56 PM, mansonlamps said:

I really like the idea of everyone using the same fabric for a challenge.

IIRC the second season began with something like this.   Each designer received so many yards of muslin.

Some died it, some embellished it (not Erin way, but fabric as art), and the garments were made before they arrived in NYC.

I don't think this is a wishful memory on my part

• Love 2
13 hours ago, enoughcats said:

IIRC the second season began with something like this.   Each designer received so many yards of muslin.

Some died it, some embellished it (not Erin way, but fabric as art), and the garments were made before they arrived in NYC.

I don't think this is a wishful memory on my part

I loved that. Santino dyed his fabric light blue and made an intricate dress that was stunning.  That was the first challenge judged that day and the guy eliminated made a simple a line dress that took no effort. He was cocky about it, too.  

It's time to do that again. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

There are two Moods, one in NYC and one in LA, both have dogs named Swatch.  At some point the dog was named Oacar De La Renta, not sure on what coast. That quickly changed when someone pointed out the branding angle.    If you google him there is a decidedly older Swatch in a few of the pics with slightly different markings.