Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Hate to say it, but my first thought at seeing the leg in the batch of shrimp was "Oh no, all that shrimp -- ruined!"

Also -- those are cooked shrimp (they're pink when cooked, grey when raw), which makes me wonder where they found a pot big enough for someone to put a leg in. And if it's supposed to be shrimp they just caught (i.e., raw), then it's all wrong. I'm willing to forgive much to see Scott Bakula on my screen again, but not a screwup with shrimp props.

As for his accent -- I'm from Charleston and I'm used to actors never getting our accent right. Most of them come off sounding like a Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi accent, which is unforgivable. Everyone on the hot mess that was Reckless, I'm looking at you. Some of them even tried for a poorly done New Orleans accent, which only makes them sound drunk. If Bakula goes there, I'll just pretend he's Sam morphed into one of his characters from Quantum Leap.

• Love 1

I haven't watched the original NCIS in ages, and for some reason I thought David McCallum had passed away, so I was shocked when "Ducky" showed up on the video monitor.  I had to Google him to see what the deal was, and was relieved to find he is still with us.

• Love 1

I probably won't be watching even though I love Bakula and Pounder, but I would have liked if they'd had Zoe McLellan playing the same character she played in JAG which NCIS: TOS spun from. (It wouldn't have made me any more likely to watch it, it just would have pleased me.)

I didn't mind it as much as I expected to, maybe because of Scott Bakula and CCH Pounder. I can understand how people from New Orleans might feel as if their city has been treated badly, but I'm from New York, so I'm kind of burned out on that.

• Love 3

I'm hoping the show is going thru growing pains and will settle down.

The plot was squiffy but good gosh,CCH Pounder really brought it didn't she! Killed it I. My opinion.

The secondary characters did a good job to lighten it up.

I was disappointed in Scott B and I love the guy! He seems uncomfortable to me.

Nonetheless, I'm in for the season.

Give it half a season to settle in and be comfortable with each other.

• Love 1

All things considered, it was ok. I seem to recall the NCIS mothership was kinda uneven the first year, and goodness knows, the LA spinoff was, as well, so I'm going hold any judgment in abeyance for now.

I did like Ms. Pounder and Lucas Black ... those two brought it big-time. And I thought Bakula's accent was a lot better than it was in the backdoor pilot. I think the Brody character will grow on me, as well, but I really don't know what to make of that Sebastian guy just yet.

Long story short, I'm in.

• Love 3

Gumbo! Mardi Gras route. Beads. Beignets. Jackson Square. Cemetery # what, 1? Strained accents? Oy. Lucas Black is all grown up and fun to watch. Zoe Pixie Hair Cut with the apartment problem could meet an untimely and avenged death asap. And Scott Bakula makes me wish Dennis Quaid felt like bringing a version of Remy back. May give it a couple more views because seeing New Orleans is always a good thing. (These people and their clunky goings-on have to not get in the way, though. Here's hoping.)

Man was that terrible.  Won't watch it again.  So over the top "hurray for New Orleans it is so special" that I never want to set foot in that city ever.  Way NOT to sell a city.  Their board of tourism should sue this show.

The younger, action-type dude and the doc were fine.  The midwesterner, who seems to be there only to learn the ways of her betters from New Orleans, had nothing to do but look impressed by all she beheld.  The lead and the token geek were both horrible, over the top characters badly played.  Man this show makes NCIS LA look good by comparison cause at least they have Linda Hunt.

• Love 1

I liked it. They seem to be taking a very similar route to Hawai'i 5-0 in overwhelming us with cliches, but hopefully it will get toned down to a reasonable level as once they have finished the set up.

I like LaSalle and his amazing accent best, probably. Despite the accent (it seemed maybe a bit less terrible, but still not anywhere like good), it is nice to see that Pride is definitely not going to be played with a stick up his ass like Captain Quantum. He's actually a likeable enough character. I'm still not sure about Brody, she's just the sensible one right now. The mortuary geek is pointless and needs to go away fast - he's like every other techie in every other show ever and adds nothing. It's not the actor's fault, it's the writing. They needed to do something different but instead they just went with lazy.

The coroner is awesome, as I would expect from the actress. More of her, less of her whining sidekick. The office set is ridiculous. Pretty, but utterly mad. This office space is not only giant, it also has a huge fully equipped kitchen, at least one bedroom, upstairs coffee break room and outdoor patio complete with an enormous fountain - all for three members of staff?

I liked it a lot more than the LA pilot - this seems a whole lot closer to the membership in tone. I did find myself liking the characters overall.

• Love 2

NOLA native here, transplanted elsewhere by life - I'm in, for the glimpses of home alone! Plus, it's fun to see actors struggle with the accent all my cousins sport with ease :) it's just not that difficult - I slip right back into it every time I visit

Edited by jette
  • Love 2

I found it pretty bad too and won't be watching.  I don't know the character SB plays so I did not give a hoot about his personal pain - it was so forced and SB did not seem comfy with the dialogue.  Everyone (writers) is just trying too hard to be cute and clever and they are neither. 

And, poor NO - getting defined by where you live.  Yikes.  What a load of stupid.  

Yet another one and done for me - that is 3 so far since Monday - quite a record for me.

• Love 1

Well, that was...underwhelming.  I think they took characterisations and a plot from mothership and just plopped it down in New Orleans.  C'mon, writers!  You've got a fantastic cast!  Use them!  Be original!  Captain Quantum has boatloads of charm, so please don't make him a gruff, humorless T! I! P! asshole like Gibbs.  Please don't make Brody all perky and quirky.  Let her be calm and competent without the tics.  CCH Pounder rules, so give her some good stuff.  And most of all, please don't make LaSalle into DiNozzo light.  Lucas Black also has tons of natural charm and talent, so please don't turn that into a smarmy, digusting, fratboy douchenozzle.  Charm, not smarm.  I can't even watch the mothership anymore because the characters have turned into caricatures.  Also, please let the kids play on their own.  Bringing in the mothership peeps already in only the second episode?  No, just no.  New Orleans is unique, charming and fun.  Let that be reflected in the show.

Also, I can't believe Lucas Black is all grown up!  I remember him as an awesome little kid in Sling Blade and American Gothic.  Lord, I'm old!  :)

I'm going to give it a chance, if only for Scott Bakula and because it's a bridge between the mothership and Person of Interest. I'm from New York, so I don't expect any place to be portrayed accurately on TV (at least it's not filmed in Vancouver), and the writing's not great, but the writing on NCIS never really was, was it? I watch it for the characters, which I feel as if the actors have built in the plot holes. I wouldn't bet against Scott Bakula and CCH Pounder doing something good with this.

• Love 2

Man was that terrible.  Won't watch it again.  So over the top "hurray for New Orleans it is so special" that I never want to set foot in that city ever.  Way NOT to sell a city.  Their board of tourism should sue this show.

I see your point, green. But have you seen the commercials from the New Orleans Board of Tourism? All I hear is: "Come listen to our jazz, eat our food, drink booze, celebrate Mardi Gras, and maybe witness a little Voodoo." There's no mention of great museums, historical landmarks, beaches, or anything else. I think the show might use its platform to show us some of lesser-known things about New Orleans. At least I hope so.

I did like Ms. Pounder and Lucas Black ... those two brought it big-time. And I thought Bakula's accent was a lot better than it was in the backdoor pilot. I think the Brody character will grow on me, as well, but I really don't know what to make of that Sebastian guy just yet.

Long story short, I'm in.

Word. I've never watched the other 2 NCISs. This is the first cast that intrigued me.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

The cast isn't bad overall but Bakula just isn't the draw for me like Harmon is. I think Bakula's acting's going to hurt. He just can't bring it. Being in New Orleans puts too much silly pressure on Hollywood to make it "atmospheric" with overdone accents, locations and "southern" feeling.

Edited by kmm49

Thought by the previews they would have Gibbs there to work on the case that was in the works on last seasons NCIS crossover. But I imagine we will be back on that case soon enough.

My son stated last night in the premier episode, that doesn't it seem like Mrs. Fredericks is working undercover, lol.Was nice to see Dr. Loretta Wade conferring with Ducky about the fading tattoo. I thought by the commercials that Gibbs would be there also. But it was just clips from the 2 episode NCIS back door.

Liked James McDaniel(Papa Parks) on The Good Wife and Detroit 1-8-7. Hard to see Papa feeling so down. It was good that Calvin Parks wasn't back in the gangs. I didn't really believe he was but it worked out nice. Nice to see King play piano.

LaSalle and Brody work good together. "Chuckle-head from the Wharfs" was a cute line. My Dad used to call people chuckle-heads.

I thought the 2nd time we talked to Councilman Douglas Hamilton, that something was up.

Also when I first saw the dock foreman, Hunter Franz, and him chewing on something(I thought it was nuts) that he would be connected to the murder. First he is 1st, an actor that plays bad guys and 2nd he was doing something different(the chewing), so I thought we'd find nut shells at a scene, instead of a tooth. But Franz was receiving heroin shipped in with fruit. Calvin was keeping track of weights. And it seems Hamilton was looking the other way.

The gang rivalry angle was interesting. But I did think the female shooting at the gang from the SUV looked like the female bartender.

The show was good, it will grow on you, I do believe.

• Love 2

NCIS Special Agent Tony DiNozzo assists the New Orleans team when a Navy lieutenant on liberty dies of the bubonic plague. The team races to locate all additional sailors on liberty, control a potential outbreak and determine the source of the highly infectious disease.

As a non-resident fan of New Orleans, I was going to check this out even though I don't do franchise procedurals. From the responses above, it sounds like I'd better stick to Treme (which I highly recommend) for my slice-of-NOLA tv. 

I haven't finished the episode yet (and I plan to) but my thoughts so far are this: really like LaSalle and the ME, neutral so far on everyone else. Brody is still pretty bland, I don't care about Pride's marital issues and the ME's sidekick is silly. I appreciate that they are more closely tying this the Mothership (unlike LA, which is pretty much off in it's own universe these days). And even though it's ridiculous, I freaking love their office, so kudos to the set designers there.

As another non-resident fan of NOLA, even I was hoping they would town down the "Mardi Gras! French Quarter! Jazz! NOLA!!" stuff. Hopefully it's toned down a bit more in future episodes-- would love for the city to shine without it being in our faces, or so stereotypical.

I wasn't that impressed with the backdoor pilot episodes so I wasn't expecting a lot but I really enjoyed the show.  I liked all the characters, even the M.E.;'s geeky assistant. 

The whole plot became obvious pretty quickly though, with Steven Weber playing a politician with an agenda; and the dock worker had 'the villain of the piece' written all over him.  Wonder if Steven Weber will be back again or if they'll just drop that story line.  They did surprise me with smuggling drugs though; I thought the weight differences just meant that they were skimming off the legal goods to sell on the black market.  Of course I don't know if there really is a black market for pineapples.  But I guess drugs would make it worth killing someone over (to bad guys anyhow) where skimmed goods might not.

The cast seems a little small with only five main characters; I wonder if they'll be adding more regular cast members during the season..

The show was good, it will grow on you, I do believe.

I think so too.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
NCIS Special Agent Tony DiNozzo assists the New Orleans team when a Navy lieutenant on liberty dies of the bubonic plague.

Does this mean DiNozzo can die?  Please?  No offense to Tony fans.  I like Michael Weatherly, I just can't stand DiNozzo.  He was a deal-breaker for me with the mothership and we parted ways.

• Love 2

I was just a little surprised that they only had Scott Bakula play the piano and not sing at the end.  Awfully soon to be playing that card, I know, but I wouldn't have minded.  He has a great voice and I bet he would be stellar with jazz.

• Love 1

So was Papa the dead guy's actual father or just someone who mentored him along with Pride? Papa said that there were only 2 things he ever loved - music and the kid - so I guess his lack of love for the boy's mother explains why the poor kid apparently didn't have one worth even mentioning. Or any other family. Did I miss some exposition that made the sailor's background more clear or did they really play it like he was hatched from an egg in some gang hive?

Other than that episode gripe, the only character that feels natural as a Southerner is LaSalle. Which is logical since he is the only actual southerner, right? It isn't just the accents.. it's the attitude. Lasalle exhudes southern ease and charm. Pride does not. I'm from the Deep South. I know Southern. Bakulu is ACTING and it is obvious (which makes it BAD acting) But then, I was turned off (from the intro episodes with mother-ship) everytime he called someone "my brother". It never sounded at all like a phrase he was comfortable with or used naturally.

They seem to be ticking all the "character boxes", even down to the quirky nerd assistant. I want more squints like Hodgins on Bones. Mostly normal with a serious interest in certain subjects that he is experienced and knowledgeable about. Not all tech people have Aspergers or something. They're not all quirky to the point of cartoony.

I would have liked to have seen Jason Lee in the lead role. He could have played it just like Memphis Beat and it would have worked FAR better than this mess.

This is some weird mash-up of Memphis Beat and NCIS, but without the positive qualities of either (but hey.. they've got the well respected black actress raising the bar for everyone.. here it's Pounder.. MB had the incomparable Alfre Woodard). Memphis Beat had quirky characters and they all worked and felt multi dimensional. (side note.. I really miss that show.. it was really underated.. sigh)

This episode just felt like it was a filmed version of the very 1st story meeting where they started to discuss the characters and the broad brushstrokes of what the show will be about. It's as though they never bothered to have another meeting to take it further than the original "pitch".

Edited by slothgirl

I've always been rather indifferent about Bakula as an actor - in fact, he was one of the reasons why I (a dedicated Star Trek fan) couldn't stand to watch "Enterprise".  I saw him the other night on Craig Ferguson's show and he was very personable and entertaining, so I can't figure out why I just can't get invested in any characters he plays.

It was good to see Lucas Black again; I remember him from "American Gothic" (now THAT was a TV series!).  He seemed to be the only person there with a genuine Southern accent, not to mention charm.   The woman from up North reminded me of those perky/snarky assistant DA's on "Law & Order" when they first start on the show.  CCH Pounder seemed to be extraordinarily cheerful for an ME; I kept expecting her to burst into song.  The tech geek, whoever he was, was poorly written and poorly acted and should be killed off on the series ASAP.  The accents were so badly done that I wasn't quite sure if Steven Weber was just an acquaintance or a relative of Bakula's character.

This is a show I wanted to like but I thought the script was pretty bad.  It was clear from the beginning that the supervisor on the docks knew more than he was telling - and I didn't even know that that actor usually plays a bad guy.  Being an element of the Navy, with all that sensitive equipment and access to data, and they leave a door wide open and unguarded so that anywone can just wander in?  No thought to what the heat and humidity would do to the computer equipment?   They didn't give any reason to become emotionally invested in the dead guy - heck, a flashback would have at least made him somewhat real, other than just being a leg.

I, too, thought that the woman who did the driveby shooting was the bartender, yet that was a plot thread that was dropped.

I'll probably watch it again just to see the NOLA settings, but this first episode didn't really interest me in the characters.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 1

CCH Pounder seemed to be extraordinarily cheerful for an ME; I kept expecting her to burst into song.

I don't know why that cracked me up so much, DownTheShore, but it sure did. Thanks for the laugh. You're right--the ME was awfully smiley, and not in a sarcastic way like the MEs on "L & O".

• Love 1

They definitely need to dial-back the New Orleans references. After watching Treme, which managed to incorporate the charm of the city within the dark storylines of the impact of Hurricane Katrina, NCIS: NO just seems to use a checkbox list of references to the highlights. 

I like Scott Bakula and think he has as much charm as Harmon - whose character is a polar opposite in terms of personality. But whoever decided that he should have a NOLA accent made the wrong decision. It doesn't even make sense for his character - who is not a native (they made reference to him being there 10 years in this ep). Whatever accent he's trying is nowhere near right.

The writing was clunky, which isn't the actors' fault. I will watch it a few more times. I like the cast, so I'm hoping it shapes up.

• Love 2

How good would an NCIS be with both CCH Pounder and Linda Hunt? All kinds of awesome.

As an Australian viewer I have to say that NO appears to be all about the music and the drinking and some shiny beads with some voodoo thrown in maybe - that is the impression I have got from this (and a few other shows too Criminal Minds did an ep and so did Bones) on that basis it doesn't really appeal as a tourist destination I am sorry to say.

I should point out tho that I am sure there is far more to NO - I'm not ragging on it.

• Love 1

I think the lure of NOLA to those of us who have never been there is that its settlement history isn't the typical English/Dutch/German Protestant one of the majority of the East Coast cities that sprung up pre-Revolutionary War.  There is a perception of exoticism to New Orleans that isn't present in the other major cities of the US, because of its French/Spanish/Caribbean heritage.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 2

I generally liked it.  Had pretty much the same reaction after the introduction of those characters from the Mothership 2 parter.

Like others have said, they really should dial down the NOLA cliches.  Only thing that was missing was a voodoo doll (which was covered in last year's NCIS episode introducing this show).  That was my big complaint from that 2 parter from last year.  But I let it slide since they were trying to drive home to the viewers, "Hey, we're in New Orleans!  No, really!  Oh, did I mention we are in New Orleans!?"   So from here on out, I hope they reduce the New Orleans stereotypes/cliches.

I probably liked SB's character less in this one.  Maybe it was because of the material given.  It was a bit of a downer for him.  And like others have also said, he needs to lose the fake accent.  I get it that sometimes one can pick up the native accent from a region they have spent a lot of time in.  But it just seems so forced to me. 

I liked LaSalle and Dr. Loretta Wade better in this one.  Then again, I think CCH Pounder is great (was a big Warehouse 13 fan).  Brody was kinda "meh" to me.  She has yet to grow on me.  Wade's geeky assistant can go, however.

I will stick with the series for awhile.  Nothing was really outright offense to me.  And I think this show does have potential. 

I was bored with this but then medical diseases are not my thing but still, way too predictable. I love NCIS and most of the times, I can call the case of the week but it's the team's interactions that are why I watch..This show hasn't earned my attention to the team yet..and regurgitating other procedural storylines won't help me stay tuned..

..and does the network NOT trust this show to make it on it's own? Ducky in the premiere..Dinozzo and Abbie tonight..with a touch of Vance..and next week Mark Harmon???

I don't mind crossovers but it's getting to the point where we may see Vance's kids in New Orleans before the season is over...

• Love 1

NCIS:LA had lots of crossovers at the beginning too, back when it started. I think it's just to reassure everybody that it's still happening in the same universe and these new people know the other characters - meaning that it doesn't feel so much like a new show but more just an expansion of the world you already know.

They'll probably stop soon - nobody's crossed over to LA in years.

• Love 1

This was a weirdly timely ep of NCIS: NO what with there be an Ebola patient in Dallas.

Exactly what I was thinking.

That doctor must have had a subliminal flashing arrow pointing at him because I picked him out as the perp the first time we met him.

An okay ep. 

• Love 1

Yes, the doctor was weirdly obvious. There was no reason for him to be there and, like last week, he was randomly important non-Navy personnel and clearly the murderer. They need to stop making the perpetrator so obvious.

Cute cameos by the crossover team and I am liking all the characters more and more. Even the geek was a bit better this week. He actually made me smile a couple of times. Also, their office is so pretty.

• Love 1

I'd like to see the geek replaced, or perhaps supplemented by the Carol Wilson character, played by Meredith Eaton.  She's such a lovely combination of sass and competence, completely different from Abby, but with that same sense of a non-military employee who understands and works well with military personnel.

• Love 1

Saw the doctor right away (and I only pay half-attention.)  This episode seemed . . . boring.  Seemed to be strained as far as intrigue and suspense.  And why does Sam (Pride) think New Orleans is the end of the world?  He had to SAVE the city!!!!!!!!  And the reference to Katrina.  Look, lots of cities have had problems through history.

And, Mr. Bakula -- make up your mind about the accent.  I'd prefer no accent.  In fact, I heard you Sam voice and I thought that worked well.

Blink and you miss the Abby's and Tony's and Ducky's.

I'm afraid this show might not be long for the world.  I think the only thing that can save it is if Harmon really wants it around.

• Love 3

That doctor must have had a subliminal flashing arrow pointing at him because I picked him out as the perp the first time we met him.

Yep, me too.  If you see a recognizable face as a guest star, they're frequently the culprit.

MAN, I really like Scott Bakula, and I really wanted to like this show... the pilot was a little iffy, but this ep was just plain clunky.

• Love 3

I really wanted to like this show.  I love New Orleans, but even my love for the city couldn't make me love this show (unlike Treme).  The writing is absolutely horrible, like it was written by a bunch of middle grade kids.

I had this series set on my DVR, but have since removed it and didn't bother to watch the second episode.  It was just too much of a struggle to get through one entire episode.  I am sure it will be a big hit though because most people don't care lol.