Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

As soon as I saw that Anne Dudeck was playing the wife, I got suspicious. She's too recognizable to be just the supporting guest character of a supporting guest character.

As much as I love Agent Borin, I don't want her to join the NOLA NCIS team. I like her as someone who frequently crosses paths with both the DC and the NOLA teams; I don't want her slotted into one show (and if she did get slotted into one show, I'd prefer Original Recipe because I love her chemistry with Tony, Tim, and Abby).

• Love 2

I've been a big BD Wong fan for a long time (his Linus was one of the reasons I went to go see You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown in previews back in 1999--Anthony Rapp as Charlie Brown was the other, even though the big discovery for that show turned out to be Kristin Chenoweth as Sally in her role before Wicked), so I was really happy to see him get the big guest-starring role here. Yes, the story's been done before (heck, it was done on NCIS mothership), but BD's performance really made it an excellent episode, IMO.

I'm starting to feel increasingly optimistic about this show. I like a lot of the original NCIS's type of mysteries, but I loathe at least four of the characters (DiNozzo, Abby, Ziva and Gibbs---with apologies to the many who adore them!) I like NCIS: LA's characters more, but the cases are just ridiculously, eye-rollingly over the top and unrelatable for me. So far, though, this one has characters I like---or at least have the definite potential to like!---and cases/mysteries that I find mostly engaging. I also like how there's humor and energy without being TOO obnoxiously quirky or silly.

I'm still not totally sold, but I'm more and more hopeful that this one will find a permanent spot on my DVR's 'to record' list!  

Even though I immediately thought of the movie with Dennis Quaid, I thought this was a solid episode.  Of course, Cutthroat Bitch was the killer!  I would expect nothing less.  BD Wong was really good with the part.  Russell Wong!  I've been a fan forever, and he is still gorgeous.

My first thought when I saw the wife was "it's Cutthroat Bitch!" I was suspicious of her pretty quickly, especially when someone was after the brother too.

BD Wong was great, and oh so gorgeous. He's 54, he barely looks over 40!

And I actually squealed "Borin" when she appeared on screen. I'd love more of her on either NCIS.

I'd love more of her on either NCIS.

So would I, but there is so much more room for her on NCIS: NO.  I always thought the cast could do with one or two more regulars. 

We've been hoping for years that Coast Guard Abby would join NCIS.  I like Borin's interactions with Gibbs very much, but I can see that they need another agent more on NCIS NOLA than the team in DC.   

Borin and Brody are really great together, so that would be fun.  Maybe they'll turn them into an NCIS version of Rizzoli and Isles.  BFF's with lots of subtext, but whenever they are getting too close, have them go out with a guy for a few episodes.  (Because they could NEVER have an actual lesbian character, right?)

I also pegged the wife immediately - but was it made clear why exactly she wanted to kill her husband also? So that she would get all the money?

I thought it was because the land was still sentimental to the older brother. Even though he was suing to get it away from the younger brother, it was because older brother saw younger brother as unworthy of the land. Not because he wanted to sell it for millions. Wifey got pissed that older brother didn't want a chance to make millions.

I agree they didn't really make that clear. It was more of an indirect throwaway line when younger brother and Pride were talking about the lawsuit.

I see Coast Guard Abby joining NCIS at Gibb's or Pride's level, not as one of their underlings. I can't see her getting the probie treatment. I wonder if her joining NCIS means that we'll get another spinoff or if she's meant to replace Gibb's on the flagship.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 2

I like BD Wong, but did they have to steal this plot from the Mothership? In any case, it was still a pretty good episode and I enjoyed the interaction between the two brothers. The wife herself didn't set off my guilty radar, but her chirping on and on about plastics! sure did.

Yay, Borin is back!!! I think it would be awesome if she did join NCIS; I feel like with her experience puts her on par with Gibbs and Pride and even though she would have to learn the ropes, I don't think she'd be a probationary agent. I think it would be awesome if she joined the New Orleans team, though I'd miss her popping up in DC. I liked her and Brody interrogating the suspect-- that was great.

So would I, but there is so much more room for her on NCIS: NO.  I always thought the cast could do with one or two more regulars. 

Yay, Borin is back!!! I think it would be awesome if she did join NCIS; I feel like with her experience puts her on par with Gibbs and Pride and even though she would have to learn the ropes, I don't think she'd be a probationary agent. I think it would be awesome if she joined the New Orleans team, though I'd miss her popping up in DC. I liked her and Brody interrogating the suspect-- that was great.

No need to have her actually transfer into NCIS you would think that the Coast Guard had more interactions with regular citizens of New Orleans then the Navy does. Just your local federal task force and they share office space along with having that extra agent around so everybody has a partner to cover them.

Dead Man Walking....season 4 NCIS  S4, Ep16

20 Feb. 2007

Dead Man Walking

A Navy lieutenant, a member of an international nuclear-inspection agency, asks Gibbs to solve the officer's own murder because he knows that someone has exposed him to radiation poisoning.

I thought of 30 from Law & Order Criminal Intent.

After an NCIS agent is killed during a security detail for the Vice Chief of Naval Operations, the team must determine if this was an assassination attempt or if someone is targeting one of their own. Meanwhile, Agent Brody is placed under investigation and her mysterious past is reevaluated.

Not a bad episode.  It was good to see a bit of Brody's backstory.  Did we know her first name is Mary?  I think that's the first time I heard it.

As soon as we met the guy who wanted to be governor I knew he was the perp.  I don't know who the actor is or anything about him, I just knew it was him.

• Love 1

When they asked Brody why she didn't shoot the bomber and she said it was his eyes, I thought, "Here we go again."  Just like Kate said when asked (by Ducky, when was dead in the morgue) why she hadn't shot Ari and she replied post mortem  "There was something in his eyes that made me not want to kill him." 

At least Brody's excuse was that the bomber's eyes reminded her of her recently deceased sister.

• Love 1

After a Petty Officer is found murdered in the midst of Mardi Gras events, the NCIS team investigates what parades and parties led to his untimely death. Also, Pride must decide what aspects of his strained relationship with his father he is willing to share with his daughter.

Didn't Brody say her twin sister?  Doesn't Brody have brown eyes?  The bomber clearly had very blue eyes.  Yet Brody said that the color, shape, everything reminded her of her sister?  I has a confused?  LOL!  I think too much about these things.

I don't actively hate Brody or anything, but her character just doesn't do a thing for me.  I'm confused as to why she is supposed to be this super-great interrogator, because anything I've seen is pretty meh.  I really think that Pride is better at it.  Although a Borin/Brody tag team is pretty great.  Borin makes everything better!  I'd truly rather have her character than Brody.  I do like Zoe McClellan ok, just don't think this is a great part for her.

Most twins are fraternal, not identical.  Fraternal twins are no more likely to look alike than other siblings.  Depending on parents' genetics, it is not uncommon for siblings to differ in eye color etc.

• Love 1

After a Navy recruiter is the target of a lethal hit and run, the NCIS team investigates whether the murder was tied to her career or her role as a foster mother to two brothers. Also, Lasalle grows increasingly concerned for his brother’s welfare after welcoming him into his home.

I have a feeling Lasalle is the caretaker of his family.  Is his father still alive?  Do we know how many siblings he has?  If I remember correctly, his mother has had some depression issues, so maybe emotional/psychological problems run in the family?

I just lost it at the end...poor Chris! As for his mom, I can't remember if he said that his mom had mental issues herself or that she suffered from stress, anxiety, or depression as a result of Cade's illness. It seemed to me that Kayde was really trying to make an effort this time to get better. All the stuff you did for Chris- and fixing him up with not just any girl, but "the one that got away"- he really cares about his little brother.

And you could see Loretta taking those boys in a mile away.

yes, as soon as King started telling her about the brothers, I knew the magic of TV foster care would have her taking them in. 

I was a bit put off by the child services contractor guy taking a dive out the window.  That seemed and extreme way of disposing of a red herring.

This is the first episode I've been able to stay away awake the entire way through. I agree with the above poster who said that Loretta taking in the boys was a given. As soon as they showed the still-shot of Bull I knew he was their father. I wanted to cry when the little brother was being taken away and again at the end when he put his hands up mirroring his older brother. This was a great episode. I loved the parallel's between the two different brothers' relationships.

I totally said in the first episode that Callie Thorne was in that she was going to be the baddie.  Having said that, I do love how Chris just has Pride's back, no questions asked, absolute faith and willingness to help him.  I tee hee-ed at his description of Pride's "wall of crazy"!  And I was sick of the name "Baitfish" after the first two times it was spoken.  What a stupid name!  I shall make it a drinking game upon re-watch.  Please have the ambulance standing by...

I wanted to cry when the little brother was being taken away and again at the end when he put his hands up mirroring his older brother. This was a great episode. I loved the parallel's between the two different brothers' relationships.

I got teary eyed for both of them, and for all other kids who, IRL live this life.

I wasn't paying attention. Did we see who whatshername was in the shower with?

No, Jaytee, they deliberately left that shadowy and vague.  The better to build suspense for another episode!  Dun dun DUN!

Are we placing bets on who it was?

I'll put my 25 cents on it being the Steven Weber character, who seems to be Pride's nemesis.

that would be appropriate since they've hardly used that simmering tension at all aside from the first episode and that one other appearance Weber's character has made.  I too was tired of hearing "baitfish" what seemed like every other word.  And Callie Thorne's character, yeah, that was so projected in her first appearance.

After a sailor is murdered in the champagne room of a strip club, the NCIS team links the murder weapon to two additional unsolved cases and discovers that the names of all three victims appear on a mural in a dilapidated part of town.  Also, Brody’s ex-fiancé pays her a surprise visit.

I liked the COTW, although I'll admit I kinda zoned out at the end and never did see who the actual killer was.

I didn't really understand the point of the ex-fiance visit, maybe because Brody is a bit boring to me in general. Perfectly serviceable, but I don't need to know her back story at this point. And I didn't understand the deal with the flowers: she was happy they came from the doctor, but then was making out with the ex-fiance at the end? Did I miss something? And if that's what happened, I found it a little gauche to call the doctor's flowers a "cliche", especially if she's planning to dump/cheat on him. That's bad enough, you don't need to put him down to the new/old guy.

As always, not enough LaSalle. Because 45 minutes would be not enough LaSalle.

• Love 1

I liked that this episode was a little different in terms of the killer. Sure, I enjoy trying to guess who it is, but this episode was more of a whydunnit than whodunnit. Kind of a nice change, although I don't believe for a minute that section of town is suddenly going to be better served by the understaffed police department.

I like Brody well enough and I love that she's one of the few women across the franchises who doesn't have princess hair. Still, I'm not interested in her enough to care about her back story right now, whether it be a dead twin or a trifling ex-fiance. There were better ways to provide the information that some of the old buildings had hidden rooms that used to be speakeasies.

I thought the flowers were from the ex-fiance. There was no mention (that I caught) of callas being her favorite flower, but I was thinking the idea was like the drink, in that he remembered her preference. Which, BFD, a guy remembers the favorite drink of a woman he was going to marry. She'd only had a few dates with the doctor, so I had no problem with her spending a couple of nights with the ex. If she and the doc had been exclusive, she would have used that, instead the job, as the reason not to meet for drinks.

I thought the flowers came from her ex. The flirting between them in their last scene, and the fact that she didn't need to read to card to know who they were from, said it to me.

Nice joke about him just coming back from Afghanistan since Luke Mably's last TV series was Combat Hospital.  (I thought it had potential, too bad it was cancelled.) 

The Wall of (In)Justice was a nice idea.  I felt kind of sorry for the guy at the end when they caught him.  I'm glad it wasn't Mama T though.

I was  really surprised at how far they went in criticizing the government's response to Katrina.  I know Shane Brennan used to do those "the US makes mistakes too", but I didn't think Glassberg and Harmon would do it.  Not that it wasn't deserved, just didn't think they and CBS would go there.

• Love 1

Good episode but very nerve wracking.  I thought Danny was a goner for sure.  I kept thinking the victim was coerced into bringing in drugs..my bad.

Sebastian actually didn't bother me for once even though I wished it was him that got shot..lol

I liked it okay.  Not too much suspense, since I was pretty sure that all three would be okay.  I could have done without the close up shots of the intestines, though. 

I agree that Sebastian didn't bug tonight.  I laughed when Danny called him Big Bird, and Sebastian responded that he had always thought of himself more as a Beaker.

• Love 2

It's not enough that NCIS:mothership deliberately writes episodes where a killer re-creates crime scenes to torment Gibbes, now we have NCIS:NO reusing scripts thinking no one watching will be going "wait.. this is SO familar..."

Morgues must be the only place at NCIS or a major hospital that you can take hostages without being immediately breached.

And if you have blood filling up your lungs and you are trying to breathe, wouldn't you have blood coming up into your mouth? Wouldn't you be choking like drowning, not just hyperventilating or breathing shallow like there's no oxygen in the room, especially if you are lying down? Nothing about Danny's behavior said "lungs filling with blood" to me. And his voice (both sound quality and delivery) seemed fine. (But then, I shouldn't expect Martin Sheen I guess) I wonder if that was acting or directing choices. It definitely seemed wrong.

That all said:

CCH POUNDER!

Damn she's good!

• Love 4
And if you have blood filling up your lungs and you are trying to breathe, wouldn't you have blood coming up into your mouth? Wouldn't you be choking like drowning, not just hyperventilating or breathing shallow like there's no oxygen in the room, especially if you are lying down? Nothing about Danny's behavior said "lungs filling with blood" to me. And his voice (both sound quality and delivery) seemed fine. (But then, I shouldn't expect Martin Sheen I guess) I wonder if that was acting or directing choices. It definitely seemed wrong.

It wasn't, strictly speaking, blood filling up the lung. A hemothorax occurs when blood fills up the pleural cavity, which is the "sac" where the lungs are held, but is technically outside of the lungs themselves. There wouldn't be a direct path to a person's mouth for the blood to escape. The blood in the pleural cavity will cause an increase in pressure outside the lungs, which can cause the lungs to collapse.

Anyways, CCH Pounder was amazing :) I did enjoy the episode.

• Love 2