Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

It wasn't, strictly speaking, blood filling up the lung. A hemothorax occurs when blood fills up the pleural cavity, which is the "sac" where the lungs are held, but is technically outside of the lungs themselves. There wouldn't be a direct path to a person's mouth for the blood to escape. The blood in the pleural cavity will cause an increase in pressure outside the lungs, which can cause the lungs to collapse.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

The Sebastian as hero thing bothered me - if his anxieties are strong enough that they cause him to itch/scratch then he is unlikely to overcome them in that situation; essentially it is like someone telling a sufferer of depression to pull up their socks and deal with it. Uncomfortable for me. 

Has anyone explained why CCH is often shown sitting? I noticed it in the early eps and thought she may be suffering from an injury, then she was fine for a few eps but is now often sitting again. Is there a health scoop I have missed?

• Love 1

The Sebastian as hero thing bothered me - if his anxieties are strong enough that they cause him to itch/scratch then he is unlikely to overcome them in that situation; essentially it is like someone telling a sufferer of depression to pull up their socks and deal with it. Uncomfortable for me.

They're only in the first season so far. I'm thinking, those anxieties will turn into debilitating disorder in about three seasons.

Jokes aside, I think Sebastian was a very badass this episode, sassing the bad guy outand everything. (I was expecting someone giving him a hug in the end as well; why are you disappoint me though, show?!). But Loretta, naturally, was the best,

I have panic disorder, but when there's a real emergency going on, I'm usually the calmest person in the room.

A panic attack is simply an inappropriate fight or flight response with no apparent cause. When you do have cause, the adrenaline is used constructively.

There's also what I call, "The Hierarchy of Fears." The fear of actually being killed is of a higher rank than a fear of bees flying around. Biggest fear wins!

• Love 6

Not a lot of suspense in this one, since I knew they would find the baby okay.  I first thought that it was the baby-mama, but that would have been too easy.  I didn't suspect the store manager, but I knew that the delivery guy had to have something to do with it--I just didn't know what his motive was for kidnapping Lucy (Lulu?).

I have to say that I could just sit and watch Pride hold that cute little baby all day long (or having LaSalle hold the baby would have been okay, too). 

'How's she doing?'

'A little gassy, but otherwise in good spirits'.

This episode disturbed me only because I have a nine month old named Lucy. Luckily the show baby had a nickname we don't use, so I could finish watching. That and I knew they wouldn't hurt a baby.

I thought it was going to be the lady from the grocery store myself.

I love me some Borin, but why was she involved in this case?

I thought it was going to turn out to be someone who didn't think a gay couple should have a baby. I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't go there.

The kidnapper killing his friend didn't make much sense to me. It would have worked better if they hadn't been good friends.

• Love 2

The cheating plot combined with the Chinese spy storyline were kind of out of the left field. Otherwise I liked the plot, I liked Borin (as usual), and Sebastian and Loretta were simply adorable.

• Love 1

I think the justification for her involvement was almost verbatim "Jurisdiction be damned - I'm in!" That and the backstory of her hiking trip was about all the writers cared for getting her in because they know Borin is such a fan favorite. In one of past episodes of NCIS:LA there was a brief mention of the Coast Guard and I got all excited, then had to remind myself that the US has a lot of coastline and no matter how awesome she is agent Borin can't cover it all. Just give the woman her own spin-off and be done with it. Make it the bastard child of the franchise.

I felt really bad for the woman who had lost a child, suffered from depression and now has to deal with a husband accused of murder . Too much tragedy to be erased by cute baby footage.

I'm loving the show but I think the plot lines are just too busy.  The end up going off the rails now every episode.  We don't need more than one red herring writers. 

• Love 1

Yeah, there was a whole lotta misdirection in this show.  Chinese espionage, friction between the couple, infidelity, adoption issues, birth mother issues...  But, maybe that is indicative of real police cases, there's a whole lot of chaff before they can get to the wheat.

• Love 1

The last time we saw Borin she was talking about leaving the Coast Guard and hinted she would be moving to NCIS; I don't know if she said that directly about moving to NCIS or if it was just implied.  I think this was the show's way of transitioning her in to NCIS: NO. 

It's also possible that I just got all excited and imagined she was going to move to NCIS.  But she really did talk about leaving the Coast Guard.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

I loved, loved, LOVED that the gay fathers weren't a plot point. They could have done every single bit of this show with a hetero couple, including the surrogate. Good job, Show!

I was watching closely for this and it also made me very happy. The *only* thing is that they used a sketchy surrogate because apparently gay couples aren't allowed to adopt in Louisiana (I had no idea that was still an issue). But it was very well done :) I like that more and more on the NCIS shows they're including gay couples and it's not always a major plot point.

• Love 3

The last time we saw Borin she was talking about leaving the Coast Guard and hinted she would be moving to NCIS; I don't know if she said that directly about moving to NCIS or if it was just implied.  I think this was the show's way of transitioning her in to NCIS: NO. 

It's also possible that I just got all excited and imagined she was going to move to NCIS.  But she really did talk about leaving the Coast Guard.

I can't imagine she would turn down a shot at being on Gibbes team to be on Pride's team. That makes no sense unless she really hates DC. But the whole reason she didn't want to be on TeamGibbes was because she'd had her OWN team and didn't want to be an underling. If they transition her, please give her a team of her own.. and a show... NCIS:BORIN.

Works for me. ;)

• Love 2

As far as abduction eps on procedurals go, that was certainly the worst feeling ending I've ever seen. I'm glad the baby was fine, of course, but I feel simply rotten for the fictional character of the wife of the perp (I'm pregnant. I have 3 little kids. I'm sorry), who for a few brief shining (for her) days, thought everything was wonderful again and then.... not.  I hope that the entirely fictional character was able to get into some decent therapy and eventually get pregnant again. 

• Love 2
With no memory of the night before, Lasalle’s brother, Cade, turns to NCIS for help when he finds his girlfriend’s body in the trunk of his car.  Despite a mountain of evidence that implicates Cade, and the case being under Captain Jim Messier and Jefferson Parish jurisdiction, Lasalle is determined to prove his brother’s innocence.

I generally try to stay out of the "realism" realm of NCIS:NOLA, but I want to reassure anyone who watched this episode that, if they in fact visit Audubon Park, there will be ZERO alligators in it, unless there has been a SERIOUS mishap at the zoo.  But, OTOH, go see the zoo, because the white alligators are cool, as are the elephants.  Curiously, no elephants tried to eat the laptop, which is just as likely Uptown.

• Love 2

I don't think Savannah is dead;  I think baitfish just shot the bottle of wine as a message.  Or not.  Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.  Chris can't take much more stress.

I hope someone can explain who the guy is at the end of this episode who shot (or not) Chris' girlfriend.  We have not missed an episode, but neither my husband or I recognized him.  Any help?

It's Baitfish. he had been Pride's confidential informant. In the episode called "Baitfish" he tried to kill Pride at the party (his daughter's boyfriend was hurt instead). Presumably he's working with Sasha Broussard, the head of the criminal syndicate Pride is trying to put down.

So that episode was an emotional roller coaster for me! I always love seeing the Cade/Chris bonding. And though I was fairly sure they would not make Cade the killer, I admit I did question it until the end . And since I'm always a sucker for childhood sweetheart stories, I'm really enjoying Chris and Savannah. And I really thought they were going to show her get shot at the end, so my tears were already forming !

Oh and when Sebastian made that comment about Star Trek and Captain Kirk to Pride/Archer...LMAO

• Love 1

I loved the meta of the Star Trek remark to Pride .... considering that Scott Bakula played the pre-Kirk captain of the Enterprise.

Savannah better not be dead. I was enjoying a show where both partners, Brody and Chris, were safely in other relationships.  Killing Savannah after Chris has loved her for so long would just be gratuitous violence. I hope Mark Harmon is better than that.

Savannah better not be dead. I was enjoying a show where both partners, Brody and Chris, were safely in other relationships.  Killing Savannah after Chris has loved her for so long would just be gratuitous violence. I hope Mark Harmon is better than that.

I really hope Savannah isn't dead too. I'm hoping this show is going the way of the mothership since Glasberg/Harmon took over where everyone has off screen relationships. I'm not a huge Lasalle fan, but I do like his relationship with Savannah.

I love the undercover cop. I wish she'd join the team.

I hated that Savannah didn't make it, but maybe (in time) LaSalle will get involved with the undercover cop (Sonia? Sonya?)

I admit that I jumped when Baitfish got shot.  I wonder what the 'storm' is going to be.  There was a quick shot of a huge explosion in the preview for next week.  Fertilizer bomb on one of the cargo containers?  I just hope it's not the threat of a nuclear bomb.  I think that plot's going to be used on 'Hawaii 5-O' this week.

I haven't seen every episode.  How many have had scenes in a Mardi Gras float storage warehouse?  I know of at least one other one.

• Love 1

It seems as if one NCIS agent -- or a relative or loved one of an agent -- is shot, killed, kidnapped or else is under suspicion by the authorities  -- in each episode.  No wonder Pride's wife divorced him.  It's too dangerous to be around him.

It's not much different on NCIS.  Can't the writers come up with plots where the agents track down criminals when they (NCIS) aren't personally invested in the outcome?  Like, I assume, the agency operates in real life?

• Love 3

Ok, granted I haven't seen every minute of the last two episodes.  Mostly switching back between it and another show.    But whew...is this thing getting convoluted or what?

So...Baitfish has it in for Pride.  He tries to kill him with a bomb.  Then goes after LaSalle's girlfriend, because.....why?  I guess to try and make Pride's friends miserable too, which I guess in turn would make Pride miserable.  Ok, he does that and I guess that is supposed to lure Pride down there to the crime scene.  And in an area surrounded with cops and other law enforcement entities, Baitfish does a drive shooting to try and kill Pride there and then?  Really? 

Ok, and then after killing a couple of police officers in that failed assassination attempt, he decides to go after "one more big score".  Again..really?  You have every cop in every county, er, parish, on the lookout for you and still you decide to go out and rob someone for one last huge payday?  Huh?  How about doing the huge payday BEFORE you start shooting cops?  Geesh.

And then his master plan after telling Pride, "how much pain can you take?" is to....turn yourself in?   I guess after shooting cops, robbing trucks, and being on the run, he had time to make some sort of deal with the government.  Ok, sure.  So he turns himself into the NCIS office?  Alright, whatever.

I guess we don't know for sure if the lady CEO is really a baddie or not.  But if she is behind everything (including this huge "storm" that is about to happen), why the heck does she stick around waiting to be arrested?  You'd think if she and her henchies were trying to off Baitfish, she would realize what would happen if he did manage to turn himself in and testify against her.  So why is she calmly sitting in the boardroom just waiting for someone to arrest her? 

And that assassin who took out Baitfish has some gonads too -- going to a warehouse that is about to be surrounded by cops and NCIS folks and then do the deed and somehow get away.  Some good ninja skills going on here.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.  Since right now, it looks like a huge mess to me.

Big huge sigh of relief that they allowed Sonya to live..too much death this week.

And when is it finally gonna be revealed that the actual "big bad" is the councilman? (Sorry, I can't remember the name, though I know the actor is Steven Weber). I may be wrong, but it just seems WAY to obvious to me.

Big huge sigh of relief that they allowed Sonya to live..too much death this week.

And when is it finally gonna be revealed that the actual "big bad" is the councilman? (Sorry, I can't remember the name, though I know the actor is Steven Weber). I may be wrong, but it just seems WAY to obvious to me.

When we saw Sasha get in the shower with someone a few episodes ago, I was sure it was the councilman.  Now, though, I am wondering if it is Messier, the sheriff, played by Dylan Walsh.

• Love 1

It seems as if one NCIS agent -- or a relative or loved one of an agent -- is shot, killed, kidnapped or else is under suspicion by the authorities  -- in each episode.  No wonder Pride's wife divorced him.  It's too dangerous to be around him.

It's not much different on NCIS.  Can't the writers come up with plots where the agents track down criminals when they (NCIS) aren't personally invested in the outcome?  Like, I assume, the agency operates in real life?

This.  It's so annoying...It's done on all of the CBS procedurals.  Criminal Minds is the worst. That's why I stopped watching.  These shows are just not believable. This doesn't happen in real life.

brgjoe...you are 100% right.  I've noticed with this show the plots go off the rails quickly.

• Love 1

See writers of other shows? THIS is how you introduce a new main character, have the character interact with the main cast in a significant capacity for a while but not be tied down to it, then bring them in if the audience likes them.

I like the sass that Sonja could bring to the team, though the fact that she has an interest in Sebastian? Ugh... I already hate the guy enough as it is, I don't need him character assassinating a promising new character now and possibly appearing more often for some cheesy love sideplot.

• Love 3

I had such a hard time watching this one - I REALLY hate the This Time It's Personal!!!! stories.  REALLY.  HATE. THEM.  And I've loved this show.   Took me 3 days to finally finish watching.  I did love Paul Jenks' accent.  Shame they killed him, but I'm not really invested in the Big Trouble story line.  ::sigh::

Stupid plot.  Storm?  You call that a storm?  What happened to the woman? Was she the big boss or not?

I like Sonia. I wanted the Coast Guard girl to join the team though.

I liked Pride with his dad.

• Love 1

I liked Pride with his dad.

Stacy Keach is always good.  Do I remember correctly that he wanted Pride to write a letter to the governor or whomever so that he could get parole but Pride refused? Near the beginning of the season.

I certainly preferred this season finale to NCIS Original.  I so dislike cliffhangers.

Yeah, not much of a storm but it would have been if they had set the refinery on fire.

I'm glad Sonia is joining the team although it seems odd that she can just sort of decide she wants to join and it happens.  And we may still get Borin from the Coast Guard - I hope we do.

• Love 1

I LOVE that there was no cliff hanger.

Although I like Sebastian, I don't like him as a love interest ...for anyone. He is much better as a geek everyone tolerates.

Sonia will be a good addition to the team, but I do love the Coast Guard agent too. 

I like Sonya. I like that she's interested in Sebastian and not La Salle. I don't want to see her become part of the team. I don't want to see the relationship with Sebastian develop or the interesting twists that aren't at all interesting that could result. I don't want to see more of Sebastian and especially not Sebastian-in-love. I don't want to see the inevitable episode where Sonya has some sort of break through and we learn about her sad childhood that led to the tough as nails attitude that is protecting her heart of gold. She's an interesting character and I'd be happy if she remained seasoning and didn't become a main ingredient. I'd rather see more of Patton and Danny.

• Love 1

Ha. Did anyone else notice Pride's sling change color when he was talking with his dad? It went from blue to red to blue when he was talking with Sonja.

Messier was the man in the shower with Broussard. She was paying him to get the ports open for her by getting Warren appointed through Hamilton. I assume Messier's testimony will keep her in jail.

I like that Sonja is staying. I like Borin to float between the two shows, so I'm glad she isn't a permanent member yet.

Ha. Did anyone else notice Pride's sling change color when he was talking with his dad? It went from blue to red to blue when he was talking with Sonja.

Ha ha! I noticed, but thought I was just tired.

Maybe I really was distracted-is Brody staying or leaving? I thought giving LaSalle the chain for St. Christopher might have been a parting gift.

Maybe I really was distracted-is Brody staying or leaving? I thought giving LaSalle the chain for St. Christopher might have been a parting gift.

She isn't leaving (that I'm aware of).  The gift was to help him through his grief.  The chain belonged to her sister who died and it had been a comfort to her so she was giving it to Chris for the medal so it could be a comfort to him. 

As I understood it, the terrorist stole an advanced mortar weapon, which essentially just lobs a fancy grenade at a target a few miles away.

A mortar shell does not contain a guidance system, and the mortar weapon doesn't have guidance either.  It just fires an object a fixed distance to a target.

So when Pride found the weapon in the woods why not just knock the thing on its side and point it away from the refinery so that the shell would just be directed into the bushes and explode harmlessly???

And if they had figured out that the target was one of five nuclear plants, and then they figured out that it was ONE specific plant...why not warn the plant operators and take the place offline, or kill the power grid so that it could not short-circuit the nuclear portion.  Then the big bad could toss his little wires into the power supply and when it went KABLOOEY, nothing would happen except the lights would go out.

And the foreign terrorists needed a dirty cop, a crime-boss woman and an inside man at the port to smuggle themselves into New Orleans, but then with no help at all from any corrupt Navy personnel, they figured out where the fancy mortars were stored and all by themselves snuck onto a guarded base and waltzed off with a mortar as big as a truck????????????

• Love 1

As I understood it, the terrorist stole an advanced mortar weapon, which essentially just lobs a fancy grenade at a target a few miles away.

A mortar shell does not contain a guidance system, and the mortar weapon doesn't have guidance either.  It just fires an object a fixed distance to a target.

Technology has advanced, the US Army deployed  GPS guided 120mm mortar rounds the XM395 to Afghanistan in 2011. Wiki says the guidance kitst will go into general production by 2020

I somehow missed this one before now. I too think it was Sasha. Does this get resolved?

BTW, Loretta looked incredible at the party. I want that top. LaSalle cleaned up pretty nice too.

Edited by marina to