Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E01: One Glorious and Perfect Episode

Rodney
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Skooma said:

They have done it for many many years.  They hold Survivor in Fiji and any natural growing bamboo would have been cut down and used years and years ago.

5 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

For some reason it was much more obvious this season.    Like they didn’t even try to hide the fact.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, gorgy said:

Andy's whole speech about only having four friends in high school

Am I the only one who wasn't sure if he was bragging or complaining...? Having 4 friends in high school is a big achievement for some teens. Maybe this is the Facebook generation, and that is what he was referring to? 4 friends on FB could be seen as sad, lol.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Oh, that cat was definitely way out of the bag.  Watch the episode’s closing montage revealing the individual votes; Sam wrote “Love It” along with Jon’s name on his parchment, which IMHO is an absolutely clear indicator Sam (at least) knew exactly who Jon Lovett was - which is hardly surprising, considering Sam works in media as well (he’s a sports writer employed in the publicity office of the Tennessee Titans).

And that is why I wanted to root for Sam. But after sleeping over the episode, I’m still not over the egregious stupidity of that vote and their incredibly flawed reasoning for it. If Jelensky had been enabled like this last season and made it past episode 1, it would have been as ridiculous as the reason they gave us here. I remember Q and Kenzie being sympathetic towards Bhanu but they’re all adults who knew what they signed up for and are trying to play to win under stressful conditions and should not have to coddle the meltdown and enable it by rewarding it. There is absolutely no way this generation would be able to handle the conditions the castaways experienced in the Outback or Africa. That being said and I maybe completely wrong, but I got the impression that a lot of what Andy did and said in this episode was an act and he used vulnerability as a strategy to outwit others. I remember Kristie in the 1st season of survivor Australia using that strategy so beautifully to win. Either way, like others have mentioned, I want to see Gata get Gat in the a for keeping Andy over Jon.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Andy is too anxious, too unstable, to play this game.  But during  his meltdown he said he was a strategic player, and I wondered if he was playing it up for sympathy, thinking that the more he cries, " nobody likes me" the more they will try to prove him wrong by keeping him. I dislike him.

I noticed John was a much more eloquent speaker than the others. I think that added to their perception of him as old. Andy says "he's my best friend here" then throws him under the bus. It's a shame, I wanted to see more of John. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Andy is too anxious, too unstable, to play this game.  But during  his meltdown he said he was a strategic player, and I wondered if he was playing it up for sympathy, thinking that the more he cries, " nobody likes me" the more they will try to prove him wrong by keeping him. I dislike him.

The whole thing was fake as fuck. Dude was looking around at the others before dramatically going and laying on the ground where he could pretend to seize for a minute before bitching to Jeff about them voting him out. Have we ever had a shark attack on Survivor? 

• Like 7
  • LOL 10
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

When he said he was a good strategist, I said "in what? Uno?"

I can't imagine someone as anxious as Andy appears to be would also be a good strategist.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
14 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

A more cynical person than I might speculate that the vote could have been influenced by the production crew because having Andy stay in the game would make for "better" TV than boring John. 

I

Raises hand.

I am that more cynical person! While I doubt it rose to the level of the blatant manipulation found on BIG BROTHER I would not put it past them to be "guided" towards keeping Andy in the interest of "Good TV"

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 3
  • Applause 1

I didn't find Jon boring, which makes me doubt that particular conspiracy theory.  And I did find Andy so.  Jeff Probst's loud praise of Jon as a storyteller also makes me think they'd have liked him to stay, too. 

I thought Jon was smart and funny and, as someone said above, appealingly self-deprecating, which survivor contestants almost never are (at least genuinely).  Franny and Matt were genuinely self-deprecating and charming in being so, but those are the only ones I can think of. 

I'm on the side of someone else above (forgive me for not combing back through!) who suggested that the podcaster/radio hosts/thirsters who want the kind of minor celebrity lives one gets after Survivor didn't want Jon around taking the attention.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

Random thoughts on episode 1 - "And...y's Gata Go":

• The new era casting team: "So, just how emotionally fragile are you?"
  • The fifth box within the box does not contain an even more powerful immunity idol, but rather a note reminding you to be sure to drink your Ovaltine
  • Even with a spoiler-rific episode title, it was one of the better openers.
  • LOL 12
(edited)

The Challenge is going to take priority for me. I was going over my posts of the last few episodes of S46, and I remembered how underwhelmed I was with the show. Well, that’s what the DVR is for, right?

Seeing the girl with the “Yam Yam” shirt . . . I cringed, then remembered that I was mistaking him with Bhanu. 🤦‍♂️

Who's the guy that did the intermediate math? I might have to root for him.

John should take heart that even though his boot was hard to take, at least he isn’t Jalinski.

I kept nodding off during the Immunity Challenge. That’s more about me, really. I kept having to rewind through it until I saw Andy take his rest. Man, that whole challenge was a clusterfuck, wasn’t it?

44 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

The new era casting team: "So, just how emotionally fragile are you?"

Nice to know that I would have an automatic spot if I applied.

ETA: “John” or “Jon”? Eh, like I need to care.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Who's the guy that did the intermediate math? I might have to root for him.

That was "no-one clapped when I chopped a coconut!" Andy, who lay down midchallenge for therapy with Jeff, told the entire cast he was so spiralling out he was thinking of throwing his number one ally under the bus, and then proceeded to do so later on, even as his ally tried to save him.

Prior to the bit where he selfimploded on the mat after his dramatic collapse, and his descent into oversharing paranoia, I was quite fond of Andy and felt empathy for his struggles. But realistically he's 31 years old; with the emotional development of a maladjusted tween, and a mean glint in his eyes.

Every new era season seems to up its percentage of smirking blowhards. Jeff should just hand out little Survivor participation trophies at this point.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

Just because Peachy keeps repeating 'THIS IS THE NEW ERA!' doesn't mean jack shit unless itnis truly different, which itnis not. Over the many seasons there have been new twists added to the show while other aspects have been removed. Case in point: the gross food eating challenge has been off thr table for quite some time now, and we have not see loved ones visit in a while either, and the final TC has gone back and forth between two and three. We have also seen the show add in things like the various advantages, the roll the dice thing, and that loser island thing they did for a few seasons. They even brought back Rob and Sandra to mentor folks sent to that island one season. None of those changes made the show A NEW ERA!! And now whatever differences there are now are also JUST CHANGES. Jesus H Christ Jeff, just because you say it doesn't make it so. He was pushing this narrative so frigging hard during this opening episode that I honestly thought he was gonna bust a nut.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
45 minutes ago, marybennet said:

I didn't find Jon boring, which makes me doubt that particular conspiracy theory.  And I did find Andy so.  Jeff Probst's loud praise of Jon as a storyteller also makes me think they'd have liked him to stay, too. 

I thought Jon was smart and funny and, as someone said above, appealingly self-deprecating, which survivor contestants almost never are (at least genuinely).  Franny and Matt were genuinely self-deprecating and charming in being so, but those are the only ones I can think of. 

I'm on the side of someone else above (forgive me for not combing back through!) who suggested that the podcaster/radio hosts/thirsters who want the kind of minor celebrity lives one gets after Survivor didn't want Jon around taking the attention.

Boring perhaps should  be in quotes. No doubt Jon would have had interesting strategies if he had more game time, played a solid game (or at least, avoided the unforced errors that seem all too common in New Era Survivor), and would have had cool stories to drop about his time in politics (assuming they wouldn't have been left on the cutting room floor during an election year) along with other topics.

But Survivor, it seems to me, would rather center episodes around extroverts than introverts; braggarts/crybabies versus quiet strategists; crazy and chaotic people rather than steady and methodical ones; delusional narcissists rather than grounded altruists; people who can claim some sort of handicap that they overcame to be on Survivor or hope to overcome through being on Survivor rather than someone who's solidly middle-class, normal-ish backstories and well-adjusted; people who are willing to act like (or may actually believe) that Survivor is some sort of higher calling/noble experiment/etc. rather than people who do have other bigger picture passions that they are currently involved in.

The producers seem to consider people fitting in each of those second categories "boring," even though it seems like most of the actual Sole Survivors tend to draw from the second categories more than the first ones. It seems like Jon probably fit in each of those second categories.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, Nashville said:

Oh, that cat was definitely way out of the bag.  Watch the episode’s closing montage revealing the individual votes; Sam wrote “Love It” along with Jon’s name on his parchment, which IMHO is an absolutely clear indicator Sam (at least) knew exactly who Jon Lovett was - which is hardly surprising, considering Sam works in media as well (he’s a sports writer employed in the publicity office of the Tennessee Titans).

I thought he knew, for some strange reason. I also think he is more conservative politically. However,  it is just a hunch.

Edited by NoThyme
  • Like 3

I think another factor in the vote may be the knowledge that the tribes will swap/merge and that as long as one outlasts the others on their tribe they will make the merge and not be seen as a threat due to having a lot of their former tribe with them.  It seems to be happening more in this 'new era' that they know the season itself is shorter and there's an idea that they can make it through even if they go to every tribal before the swap/merge.  So, Gata may not care if they keep going to tribal-Andy is an easy vote and there will be someone else who isn't quite as solid with the rest of the tribe.  They kept Bhanu way too long and others have been kept way too long, but when the season is 26 days, the swaps/merges come way earlier than they used to in the OG seasons.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
(edited)
On 9/19/2024 at 8:02 AM, seacliffsal said:

But, here I am, and I am in for the season.  Even though I have criticisms and "what?????" moments (as in-are all of these contestants in various broadcasting jobs [podcasters, radio, sport commentaries, etc.]), I still love this show.

100% to your entire post, but especially the bolded.  I am in, whether I want to be or not, because this show has been such a huge part of my life that I would never quit it.  Not an auspicious start, though, that is for certain. 

23 hours ago, Gummo said:

I loved Teeny trying to say, "yeah, this shit may have come from the back of my closet but I would never have worn it if production didn't force me to" without actually saying it.

This was so awkward.  So are we to assume that production called Teeny and told them, "hey - we know you're Jersey but do you have anything scarecrow-related in your closet that you could wear for chuckles?  You DO?!  Great!"  I didn't know what the heck they were even talking about until the camera panned down to the patches on the jeans.  Waste of 60 seconds.

18 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Sorry, I had no idea. I miss about half of what they (and by they I mean the entire Survivor cast and Jeff) because the sound track of crashing noises and shouts plays louder than the dialogue on my TV.

I am forced to watch this on my iPad for this very reason.  My tv only wants me to hear the never-ending soundtrack and force me to use subtitles to hear the contestants.  

So very sad to see Jon as first boot.  As for who would help more in challenges, it was Jon who whipped the ropes off the puzzle pieces in the very first challenge, and even at the ripe old age of 41, did not need help carrying his heavy puzzle piece.  I was so afraid that he would be first off due to injury or poor performance, not because his "best friend" had a meltdown and practically begged to get voted out.  Congrats, casting.  Can't wait to see what Andy cooks up next to doom his tribe.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Unless his panic attack/ heat stroke was strategy.

As far as his tribe is concerned, it doesn't matter whether Andy was faking it or not. Either way he's still a loose cannon who can't be trusted to work with and should have been voted off unanimously. 

I listened to Jon's exit interview on RHAP. It sounds like it was either going to be him or Andy, and since they were telling him it was Andy and they were telling Andy it was Jon, he figured it was just as likely it was him and they were just telling him it was Andy. Which is why he tried to move the vote off either of them.

He didn't mention anything about them being intimidated by his profession or fame. I'm not sure he would/could if it were true. I just can't fathom any other reason they would consider Jon a bigger threat than a loose cannon like Andy. We saw no evidence of noticeable physical weakness in Jon. I don't know where their perception of Andy being stronger would come from, unless it's simply age. But if physical strength was the determining factor, hello. Any of the three girls should have been considered.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

Did anyone else hear Peachy mention that Survivor was a community? Like a dozen times? I guess that's this season's theme. Community. Whatever that means. 

Troy and Abed on an island!

Community of liars and backstabbers, maybe? Ha!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 9/19/2024 at 11:02 AM, JudyObscure said:

I try to be PC, but I don't see what I said as unfair.  However they identify they still talked about their clothing as though it was something they thought the viewers would all be terribly interested in.

Personally, I only struggle when trying to post something that my editor app deems incorrect because of verb/subject agreement "They is going...:. So head's up, if that happens, it's only because I didn't catch it in time to change.

• Like 2
On 9/20/2024 at 4:02 AM, JudyObscure said:

I try to be PC, but I don't see what I said as unfair.  However they identify they still talked about their clothing as though it was something they thought the viewers would all be terribly interested in.

And the fact remains those heinous patched trousers were still in their wardrobe.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, Chalby said:

Personally, I only struggle when trying to post something that my editor app deems incorrect because of verb/subject agreement "They is going...:. So head's up, if that happens, it's only because I didn't catch it in time to change.

I think your editor app is correct. Whether you’re talking about a group of people, a nonbinary person, or a person of unknown gender, you would still definitely say “they are” not “they is”. Sorry for the interruption, back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 9/19/2024 at 6:45 PM, tinkerbell said:

I noticed John was a much more eloquent speaker than the others. I think that added to their perception of him as old. Andy says "he's my best friend here" then throws him under the bus. It's a shame, I wanted to see more of John. 

I didn't know the season had started until I saw the episode on my DVR.  So imagine how quickly my giddiness about a new season turned to rage as I watched stupid Gata vote out my horse to keep a manipulative goofy in the game.  I hope Gata loses every single challenge from here to the merge.   I thought I was liking Jon and Glasses but then she went right along with keeping Andy.  That whole mess with him made me incredibly uncomfortable. 

I haven't really formed opinions about anyone else except older lady on blue seems like she'll annoy me eventually.  Can't say why exactly, just a hunch.  I think I may like the flight attendant.   47 is off to a rocky start with me. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

The gang's discussion of Jon's Survivor experience on the latest Pod Save America is hilarious 😂. I'm a regular listener though, so I may be a tad bit biased.

The only positive thing about Jon's early exit is that, as a  decade older, I won't be constantly reminded I'm geriatric.

• Like 8
29 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

The only positive thing about Jon's early exit is that, as a  decade older, I won't be constantly reminded I'm geriatric.

Honestly, Jon could have lied about his age. He could have said mid-30s and I’d believe him. He’d probably still be the oldest person in his tribe even with the lie. 😂

• Like 3
3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Honestly, Jon could have lied about his age. He could have said mid-30s and I’d believe him. He’d probably still be the oldest person in his tribe even with the lie. 😂

3 hours ago, violet and green said:

Rachel is 34, and baby Andy is 31. It's not as if they are all early twenties.

I think that Jon's age hardly had anything to do with why he was voted out.  Sam and the women (Anika, Rachel, and Sierra) all bonded quickly when he and Andy stupidly went off by themselves, so with them on the outside, they left it down to one of them.  And it came down to Jon in the end.  Easy.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Rodney said:

I think that Jon's age hardly had anything to do with why he was voted out.  Sam and the women (Anika, Rachel, and Sierra) all bonded quickly when he and Andy stupidly went off by themselves, so with them on the outside, they left it down to one of them.  And it came down to Jon in the end.  Easy.

I wasn't saying it did. But there was not the enormous age discrepancy between Jon and the rest of his tribe that the rest of his tribe seemed at pains to point out.

• Like 4

I find it funny that Gabe's plan was (so he says) to play with an older person because they would be wise and he chose Sue who seems to be a loose cannon, crazy old lady. I bet she will be his downfall.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

I find it funny that Gabe's plan was (so he says) to play with an older person because they would be wise and he chose Sue who seems to be a loose cannon, crazy old lady. I bet she will be his downfall.

What crazy loose cannon behavior are you referring to because I didn't see any.

• Like 6
On 9/20/2024 at 8:43 AM, laurakaye said:

This was so awkward.  So are we to assume that production called Teeny and told them, "hey - we know you're Jersey but do you have anything scarecrow-related in your closet that you could wear for chuckles?  You DO?!  Great!"  I didn't know what the heck they were even talking about until the camera panned down to the patches on the jeans.  Waste of 60 seconds.

Maybe it's just me, but all I saw was, 'look at me!  Look at me!  Aren't I quirky??'  Then the subsequent conversation about the hat confirmed it.

1 hour ago, surfgirl said:

What crazy loose cannon behavior are you referring to because I didn't see any.

There was none.  Almost everyone gravitated to her and she was shocked by that because she expected to be viewed as 'the old lady' that nobody wanted to align with.  She was in on the plan with (curly haired guy) to make a comment about the fire if anyone was headed to the direction where he was looking for the clue, which she did and it did serve to notify the guy.  I can't remember if that is when he subsequently dropped the box down the hill for everyone to hear, but that's not on her.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
(edited)

I might be the only one here but I have no idea who this Jon Lovett was or is!  A podcaster is he?  I don't listen to any.  When I heard there was going to be a celebrity on Survivor, I was thinking a washed up athlete.  

I would've kept this Jon dude over that crazy about to become unhinged Andy dude though.  Those girls are going to be sorry they kept crazy dude instead of celebrity dude. 

Edited by rr2911
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

I might be the only one here but I have no idea who this Jon Lovett was or is!  A podcaster is he?  I don't listen to any.  When I heard there was going to be a celebrity on Survivor, I was thinking a washed up athlete.  

Pod Save America is a huge podcast. Heard by over 1.5 million a week. It's even had four specials on HBO.

About 1/3 of America listens to at least one podcast a week. That's 100 million Americans.

Jon was a speechwriter for Pres Obama (and others) before getting into podcasting.

• Like 8

I don't know how Jon Lovett is either other than what I heard on the show, however, he did seem kinda funny and I was looking forward to enjoying his comments this season, but surely nobody is referring to him as a celebrity??  A podcaster?  Or is it because he wrote speeches for former politicians?  I can't imagine that making anyone famous either.

If I had to guess who the celebrity is on this season, I would say the guy on the blue team with the long hair, who ran like the wind through the woods when collecting puzzle pieces and went on the journey.  I would guess retired athlete.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, QQQQ said:

The gang's discussion of Jon's Survivor experience on the latest Pod Save America is hilarious 😂. I'm a regular listener though, so I may be a tad bit biased.

I watched it too and loved it. I only knew Jon was going on Survivor last week when they showed a preview on Pod Save America - honestly I was really looking forward to seeing Jon and was so disappointed how it went down - I think I must of blocked out most of the episode lol as I barely remember anything else that happened. 

I hope this stupid yellow tribe all go out one by one for making such a dumb decision! 

If Andy makes it to a tribe swap and end up on the same tribe as Aysha needs to run a mile as he will tank her game too. 

By the sounds of it even Jeff was disappointed Jon went so early maybe with luck he will be one of those rare 1st boots that gets a 2nd shot!

• Like 10
(edited)
On 9/21/2024 at 1:31 PM, bankerchick said:

I don't know how Jon Lovett is either other than what I heard on the show, however, he did seem kinda funny and I was looking forward to enjoying his comments this season, but surely nobody is referring to him as a celebrity??  A podcaster?  Or is it because he wrote speeches for former politicians?  I can't imagine that making anyone famous either.

If I had to guess who the celebrity is on this season, I would say the guy on the blue team with the long hair, who ran like the wind through the woods when collecting puzzle pieces and went on the journey.  I would guess retired athlete.

Yeah add me to the 'don't know who any of these podcasters are' list. Call me crazy but I rarely listen to podcasts because any idiot can have one so it's a lot of crap to sift through to get to the good stuff.

That said, I would not consider any podcaster a celebrity in the way the show has promoted it. I think Peachy is desperate to up ratings IN THE NEW ERA (insert snarky tone here) and Peachy & Company have played this up, but never thinking their golden celebrity would get voted out first.

And given the burning dumpster fire that was SO47:E01, I did a quick calculation on behalf of my mental health, the way it shakes out with 13 episodes - 11 of which are 90 minutes and one being 120, and the finale being 180 minutes - that is a total season's worth of 1,290 minutes, divided by 60 minutes, and we have a season 47 total of 12.5 hours, which is nearly a full day of each of our lives. Now I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty sure that on my deathbed I'mma want that extra day back! So yeah, I may have to quit this bitch if Andy doesn't get booted and shit doesn't start to get better soon.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
17 hours ago, surfgirl said:

That said, I would not consider any podcaster a celebrity in the way the show has promoted it.

It's hard to qualify what a "celebrity" is these days, when even social media "influencers" are often considered "celebrities." In terms of audience, Jon's is pretty big. That doesn't mean everyone's going to have heard of him. I don't follow sports, for example, so when there's a "celebrity" athlete on a commercial or whatever, 99% of the time I have no idea who they are, even though clearly the sponsor expects me to recognize them on sight. Same with most of today's pop stars. So celebrity status is definitely audience dependent. 

To someone who listens to political podcasts, especially liberal ones, Jon's a pretty big celebrity. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
19 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Call me crazy but I rarely listen to podcasts because any idiot can have one so it's a lot of crap to sift through to get to the good stuff.

You're absolutely correct. I never listened to a podcast until 2-3 years ago, a friend I trust insisted I listen to one. I gave it a try, and loved it. But it was a subject I love, and it was well-written. Most of my podcasts are either TV or music related, and yes, some of them are crap. I'll see one that sounds interesting, and delete five minutes in. But the ones I like, I listen to every time they release a new one.

Example: Jeff has the official Survivor one. I listen to it each week, and it has some great insight into each week's episode. It's not perfect, Jeff tends to go on a little too long about how great his crew/staff is, but the insight you get is really interesting. He also has Charlie from last season on each week, he explains really well how a player approaches some of these situations (since he's been thru it).

HBO has some great podcasts also.

If there's an area that interests you (sewing, food, Pilates, whatever) find a podcast or two, and try them. You might be surprised how much fun it can be to listen to a well-made one.

PS: You need a podcast player. I use Pocket Casts, free version, has everything I need, easy to use.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Personally, I’m finding it kinda hilarious that I’m in my 60s and still more up-to-speed on current podcasts than folks 20+ years younger than me. 😆  

POD Save America has been around for about 7 years, and by some reckonings is considered the most popular podcast in the country.  The three hosts (of which Lovett is one) make semi-regular appearances on most of the shows on the late night talk show circuit, so any (other) insomniacs among us have probably seen them - even if they didn’t realize who they were watching. 😄  In any case - if Colbert/Fallon/Myers are inviting you onto their shows, odds are THEY at least think (a) you’re a big enough name for people will know who you are and (b) you’re saying something worth listening to.  So IMHO it’s not too far out of bounds to consider Lovett a “celebrity” to some degree.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I don't follow sports, for example, so when there's a "celebrity" athlete on a commercial or whatever, 99% of the time I have no idea who they are

Same here, I have no interest at all in sports, so with the exception of John Rocker, I don't think I had ever heard of any of the sports celebrities that have played on Survivor, and I only knew of him because he was in the news a lot over some racist things he said. There was that coach that was briefly on one season, I think I had heard his name before, but wouldn't know who he was if I saw him on the street.

I listen to podcasts, and I have heard of Pod Save America, but have never listened to it, I'm a hard pass on marinating in politics these days, even if it's something I agree with. I listen to a lot of RHAP, but I don't recognize Aysha.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Personally, I’m finding it kinda hilarious that I’m in my 60s and still more up-to-speed on current podcasts than folks 20+ years younger than me. 😆  

POD Save America has been around for about 7 years, and by some reckonings is considered the most popular podcast in the country.  The three hosts (of which Lovett is one) make semi-regular appearances on most of the shows on the late night talk show circuit, so any (other) insomniacs among us have probably seen them - even if they didn’t realize who they were watching. 😄  In any case - if Colbert/Fallon/Myers are inviting you onto their shows, odds are THEY at least think (a) you’re a big enough name for people will know who you are and (b) you’re saying something worth listening to.  So IMHO it’s not too far out of bounds to consider Lovett a “celebrity” to some degree.

I'm in my 60's also, but I guess I've just never been interested in podcasts.

• Like 4
On 9/20/2024 at 7:20 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I haven't really formed opinions about anyone else except older lady on blue seems like she'll annoy me eventually.  Can't say why exactly, just a hunch.  I think I may like the flight attendant.   47 is off to a rocky start with me

I will come sit at your table, I had the same reaction when I saw her. This is a bit judgmental but as soon as I saw the botox and filler in her face my immediate thought was "she's desperate and will do anything for attention."

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Even though numbers-wise or appearance-wise, Jon wasn't all that much older than the rest of the tribe, he was certainly much more mature than they all appear to be.   Jon was an outsider, so therefore an easy "other" to get rid of, because it appeared to me all they cared about was their good vibes in their inner circle.  "Keeping the tribe strong" was just an excuse to try an explain away the fact that they were making a seriously questionable decision. 

I am a little disappointed in Jeff for pursuing that "keeping the tribe strong" BS.  I find it curious where Jeff chooses to probe and pry, and where he just lets stuff lie there with no follow-up.  He tries to pretend he's a neutral third party and doesn't want to influence the vote with his questioning, but he clearly does that when it strikes his fancy.  Why not this time?  Why not ask "if you're keeping the tribe strong, why take out a strong player?  Who really is the weakest on this tribe?  Shouldn't you be considering that person?" 

I'm admittedly just all bittercakes about Jon going, because I thought he was interesting and smart, and was looking forward to his candid talks with production analyzing the game play around him. 

I hope Andy melts down in every episode and drags the tribe down with him. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, HurricaneVal said:

Even though numbers-wise or appearance-wise, Jon wasn't all that much older than the rest of the tribe, he was certainly much more mature than they all appear to be.   Jon was an outsider, so therefore an easy "other" to get rid of, because it appeared to me all they cared about was their good vibes in their inner circle.  "Keeping the tribe strong" was just an excuse to try an explain away the fact that they were making a seriously questionable decision. 

I am a little disappointed in Jeff for pursuing that "keeping the tribe strong" BS.  I find it curious where Jeff chooses to probe and pry, and where he just lets stuff lie there with no follow-up.  He tries to pretend he's a neutral third party and doesn't want to influence the vote with his questioning, but he clearly does that when it strikes his fancy.  Why not this time?  Why not ask "if you're keeping the tribe strong, why take out a strong player?  Who really is the weakest on this tribe?  Shouldn't you be considering that person?" 

I'm admittedly just all bittercakes about Jon going, because I thought he was interesting and smart, and was looking forward to his candid talks with production analyzing the game play around him. 

I hope Andy melts down in every episode and drags the tribe down with him. 

Interesting but it isn’t just “where Jeff chooses to probe” but what they choose to show us.  Some tribals are several hours long and we generally see just 10 minutes or so.   

• Like 6
  • Useful 1