Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E17: Ryan Gosling / Chris Stapleton

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Okay, we're starting with the alien abduction sketch again. Speaking of replaying hits, Kate McKinnon is back! Amazing that Sarah was the only one NOT breaking. But I'll be honest, I was never a fan of these sketches. The one where Kate was kidnapped by Krinklemaus the Christmas Elf was my favorite of those.

Monologue: It's actually been a while since we've gotten a song monologue. But this one's about Ken. Liked Emily Blunt's turn singing about Oppenheimer.

Harrison: Poor Brad. This is why I don't like being alone with the one other guy at a gathering. Ryan was fun in this. Even if he kept breaking. Again.

Get That Boy Back: This was a fun song. Chloe Troast got to lead a pre-tape song, and boy did she deliver. 

Accents: "I love countries and places." Honestly shocked that Ryan played a white guy, his accent sounded more convincing than Marcello's. And I'm shocked that they got the dog from Beethoven (even though the real one most likely died 30 years ago)

Newsnation: "Ryan Gosling dressed as Beavis" was NOT on my bingo card tonight. I was dying every time they cut to him and Mikey as Butt-Head. Loved the King of The Hill capper at the end. That HAD to be the first time Heidi saw the makeup job, since she broke almost immediately. 

WU: There, we got the OJ jokes out of the way. Che was having way too much fun tonight. And then Caitlin Clark came on and Colin showed a supercut of Che's jokes about women's sports. AND THEN made Che read jokes she wrote.

And we got a Longfellow spot! The dry humor gave me Norm vibes, in a good way.

Doctors: For once, Ryan's giggling made his character even more unsettling. I completely forgot we've seen Bowen's character before, he was from Nate Bargatze's episode.

Erin Brockovich: Yeah, no surprise that Ryan couldn't keep it together for this, either. Once again, Kenan shows up to save the sketch. 

Everyone was extra giggly tonight, mostly Ryan Gosling. I expect a few dress rehearsal versions in the reruns (especially the Beavis & Butt-Head one), and a few cut for time sketches tomorrow.

Dua Lipa does double duty next time.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ryan sure does break a lot, but he's a fun host.

I knew Kate would come back for the alien sketch.

Edited by vb68
  • Like 14
4 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

IMHO, Ry-Ry is using his "I Break" schtick waaaay too much. He can't  get through one sketch? One scene

Didn't Lorne say at some point that he did not want SNL to be like The Carol Burnett Show where the actors occasionally broke during sketches?  I get that Gosling is the host, but he seemed unable to hold it together during any sketches.  Though I'll admit watching Heidi Gardner completely fall apart during the Beavis and Butthead sketch was pretty funny.  

1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I knew Kate would comeback for the alien sketch.

I really enjoy her performances, but I do think they really have run out of ideas for that sketch. 

• Like 10

great show. But was there a sketch where RG didn't break? 

4 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

That HAD to be the first time Heidi saw the makeup job, since she broke almost immediately. 

that was my thought too. That was the sketch of the night for me, even with the breaking.

• Like 13

I thoroughly enjoyed this show, even with all the breaking.  Because I was laughing, too, so I get why they were. Cameos, but not too many.  And mostly funny writing.  And pretty good music.  Well done.

• Like 19
3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Didn't Lorne say at some point that he did not want SNL to be like The Carol Burnett Show where the actors occasionally broke during sketches?  I get that Gosling is the host, but he seemed unable to hold it together during any sketches.  Though I'll admit watching Heidi Gardner completely fall apart during the Beavis and Butthead sketch was pretty funny.  

I really enjoy her performances, but I do think they really have run out of ideas for that sketch. 

I don't. Loved it..  in fact, loved everything about the show tonight, except Emily Blunt. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Well the whole point of those sketches was always Kate messing with Ryan and getting him to break, but after tonight, it did seem redundant. 

• Like 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Well the whole point of those sketches was always Kate messing with Ryan and getting him to break, but after tonight, it did seem redundant. 

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have done those sketches in the past without Ryan.  I'm not saying that she doesn't try to get people to break, only that I think he only appeared for two or three of them and the rest were done with other guest hosts. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 6
(edited)

I have always hated the alien sketch. 
 I laughed so hard at the Beavis sketch I woke up my husband who was in another room behind a closed door. It was just so silly. I never laugh for real at SNL. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 8
11 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I laughed so hard at the Beavis sketch I woke up my husband who was in another room behind a closed door. It was just so silly. I never laugh for real at SNL. 

Just the image of Ryan Gosling as a perfect Beavis was incredible, and THEN Mikey as an even more perfect Butt-Head!

I can't stop giving enough props to SNL's makeup and wardrobe department.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Papyrus 2 got cut for time! They aired a graphic telling us to watch it online. That's gotta be a first.

Well they lost a lot of time due to people breaking. 

The sound seemed off to me - I had a hard time understanding a lot of lines, even when the audience wasn't laughing (there were a few VERY loud audience members). 

(edited)

The Beavis and Butthead sketch was originally cut for time several seasons back (SNN mentioned the last Jonah Hill episode and the Oscar Isaac episode).

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Didn't Lorne say at some point that he did not want SNL to be like The Carol Burnett Show where the actors occasionally broke during sketches?

Lorne's like everyone else - it depends on who's doing it.

Someone he likes?  It's OK.

Someone he dislikes? What an unprofessional asshole - hold it together, you jackass.  See one Jimmy Fallon for an example of that..

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this show, even with all the breaking.  Because I was laughing, too, so I get why they were. Cameos, but not too many.  And mostly funny writing.  And pretty good music.  Well done.

I wasn’t laughing the moment every skit started, like Gosling, so I found the constant breaking annoying after 2-3 skits. It was warranted in Beavis & Butt-Head, especially if the make up was a surprise.

So that was Chris Stapleton? I thought it was Luke Combs. How many country clones are there? I skipped the music, because country. I almost skipped the “Get the Boy Back” film because country, but watched long enough to see  the clever shoes-too-small line and was intrigued. It was actually pretty amusing but I wish they had used a different musical genre that was more verbally legible. It was definitely redneck night, with that, George and the divorced woman skit, Jane Ann and the aliens and the music.

Caitlyn Clark did well.

I don’t understand the humor of the guys speaking in exaggerated Latino accents, listing things that loosely go together. They have done that skit several times and it goes on and on. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 3

I don’t mind breaking a lot if the sketches are that hilarious. And they were.

I love that Ken brought Weird Barbie with him. Would’ve liked a skit of that instead of the alien abduction but whatever.

Caitlin Clark rules. The WNBA has been the butt of jokes long enough, and Michael Che was due from some payback both from her and Colin.

• Like 18

A lot of things went wrong during the sketches that made Ryan break character:

Brad did a weird whisper voice that Harrison was not expecting. Harrison's fiancée entered the room early, then jumped back off stage colliding into Ego, throwing off his dialogue.

Ryan's moustache kept falling off during Erin Brockovich.

The original dog from Beethoven ran off the stage dragging the woman holding him with it. This happened at the end, which is why this was the sketch with the least disruptions.

Kate McKinnon probably improvised everything that she was doing to Ryan's junk.

Creepy Doctor, his hair was in the only eye that Ryan could see out of, probably very distracting.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Yes, there was a lot of breaking, but I thought this was a pretty funny episode. Doesn’t hurt to have to look at Ryan Gosling either.

I’ve  never heard of Chris Stapleton, not into country music. I  usually I fast-forward all the music in the last couple of decades, but I thought his first song was fantastic. It made me feel like I was back in the late 70s watching Saturday Night Live with the country rock explosion. Second song I did fast-forward, not into the slow singing songs. After the first performance with the band, it was just a letdown. overall, I thought it was fun. 

• Like 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

So that was Chris Stapleton? I thought it was Luke Combs.

I had the mean thought of wanting to ask him if he was mad at himself for not thinking of doing the Tracy Chapman song first. 😜

That's about the extent of my knowledge of both of them put together.          

Edited by vb68
  • Like 1

Wow, that Papyrus 2 sketch was long.

I enjoyed this ep. 

I haven't liked all of the alien abduction sketches, but I did like this one. Loved Ryan's line about the aliens being like a broken doorbell: No dong. I'm not a fan of all the breaking, but mainly because the audience cheers and hollers like it's the best thing in the world.

I liked the monologue. I like Emily Blunt.

I absolutely LOVED the engagement sketch. Ryan and Andrew were so good. Ryan whispering was hilarious. This was the best.

Get That Boy Back was pretty good.

Bugged me that I couldn't always understand the guys in the bar sketch. 

Beavis and Butthead was another great one. Again, too much breaking, but I still laughed.

Didn't care for WU. I don't think there was a joke that I particularly liked.

The hospital sketch was pretty good. I like Bowen's weird character. I wish Ryan hadn't kept blowing at his bangs. I suppose he thought that was funny, but I think it would have been funnier if he just ignored it, as his character probably would do.

Erin Brockovich was another good one.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Kate McKinnon probably improvised everything that she was doing to Ryan's junk.

I doubt it.  She might have added some differences but I bet that was pretty choreographed.  Bowen mentioned in a BTS video that they had an intimacy coordinator on set for the sex scene in his "Bowen Is Straight" skit. It's possible Ryan told her to do whatever because they worked together and she's not a cast member any longer who could get in trouble, but I suspect he knew she'd be down there doing things.  And I could see that kind of stuff causing him to break out even if he knew it was coming.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

Well the whole point of those sketches was always Kate messing with Ryan and getting him to break

Going by last night's evidence, that doesn't seem to be the hardest thing to do.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Ottis said:

So that was Chris Stapleton? I thought it was Luke Combs. How many country clones are there? I skipped the music, because country. I almost skipped the “Get the Boy Back” film because country, but watched long enough to see  the clever shoes-too-small line and was intrigued. It was actually pretty amusing but I wish they had used a different musical genre that was more verbally legible. It was definitely redneck night, with that, George and the divorced woman skit, Jane Ann and the aliens and the music.

Chris Stapleton is the one the other country clones are trying to be.  He's the OG.

I thought most of this show was hilarious.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Cold open: guess this is why we didn't see the close encounters sketch last week. Like a broken doorbell, no dong. Poor Ryan was breaking so hard.

Emily Blunt! Kenning is a verb now. (And isn't there going to be a Ken movie next? I don't know why Mattel would leave all that huge potential box office money on the table.)

Chloe Troast could seriously have a career in country music, and Chris Stapleton has good comedy chops. That was a great fake music video.

I love that they mentioned Eva Mendes. She's probably why Ryan can do a believable Cubano accent.  Hey, it's (not) the original dog from Beethoven!

Ryan cosplaying Beavis. Another role he might have been born to play, if someone ever does a live action Beavis & Butt-Head movie. Apparently Chloe Heidi wasn't ready for Butt-Head. Ryan breaking again.

I was getting old school Eagles vibes from Chris Stapleton's first musical performance. Liked the song a lot.

WU:
A forks joke about Japan. Yawn.
Speaker Johnson's sore jaw. Dang, SNL.
Pretty sure the men's deliberate incompetence thing was on reddit last week.
Instead of mentioning Kevin Spacey, Colin should've brought up his own wife. Scarlett famously declared she could play whatever race she wanted, after she was criticized for her starring role as a Japanese anime-based character.
Caitlin Clark! Yeah!

Why was Bowen's surgeon character wearing a white trenchcoat? Ryan breaking AGAIN and trying to make Bowen break too.

Is Chris Stapleton considered a standard country artist? He seems more country-rock to me

The point of the Erin Brokovich movie unused scene sketch went over my head.

Sign off: Ryan remembered to thank everybody (except Lorne?) and he had unbelievable Kenergy. He can come back to host again.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
oops
  • Like 4

My favorites this week were the pre tapes (Get That Boy Back and Papyrus 2). Plus Caitlin Clark was great and it was time for Che to have someone get him back. I really like Ryan and the sketches were funny, but the breaking just ruined them for me. The Beavis and Butthead makeup was really next level, though.

22 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

But did you laugh as hard as Heidi Gardner?  I've never seen her lose it like that.  But there was too much breaking throughout the show, they just never let up on it.  Kudos to whoever wrote that Beavis and Butthead sketch, I think it was one of the most original things I've seen on SNL, and it was genuinely funny.

I've always loved the alien sketch.  I was hoping Kate McKinnon would do one when she hosted awhile back, but holding it for Gosling makes sense.  But her character supposedly permanently left earth with the aliens on her farewell show, so we have a continuity error. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Kudos to whoever wrote that Beavis and Butthead sketch

one of the best things IMO about this sketch is, aside from the shared laugh, was that they weren't Beavis and Butthead, they just looked like them. Having actual B and B would have pushed things too far.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, rmontro said:

I've always loved the alien sketch.  I was hoping Kate McKinnon would do one when she hosted awhile back, but holding it for Gosling makes sense.  But her character supposedly permanently left earth with the aliens on her farewell show, so we have a continuity error

I caught too. Also, you don't need to do take a 'pits and bits' bath if you are standing in a lake.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

But her character supposedly permanently left earth with the aliens on her farewell show, so we have a continuity error. 

Stories don't have to be presented in the same order that the events occurred or in real time so unless they specified in the sketch which events came first they could be in a different sequence. Better Call Saul is a prequel to Breaking Bad. 

Was Sarah Sherman supposed to be the same character that Cecily used to play or was she different?

14 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

one of the best things IMO about this sketch is, aside from the shared laugh, was that they weren't Beavis and Butthead, they just looked like them. Having actual B and B would have pushed things too far.

Subtlety isn't the first thing I would have thought about with this sketch lol, but I guess you're right!

Any idea who wrote the musical number Get the Boy Back....inspired stuff. Felt like Lonely Island level stuff-the tone of the line "speakin Romanian" reminded me of Lazy Sunday. Was that done by Stapleton or Trost or the actual writers??

Also, do we know who wrote Beavis and Buthead?

(edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 12:05 AM, MrWhyt said:

Um, what? Is this a joke I'm not getting? Beavis and Butthead are not "actual" anythings in the 3-Dimensional world. (Of course, if you mean Eric and Junior Mint, my point is moo.)

On 4/14/2024 at 11:44 PM, rmontro said:

But did you laugh as hard as Heidi Gardner?  I've never seen her lose it like that.  But there was too much breaking throughout the show, they just never let up on it.  Kudos to whoever wrote that Beavis and Butthead sketch, I think it was one of the most original things I've seen on SNL, and it was genuinely funny.

I've always loved the alien sketch.  I was hoping Kate McKinnon would do one when she hosted awhile back, but holding it for Gosling makes sense.  But her character supposedly permanently left earth with the aliens on her farewell show, so we have a continuity error. 

"[A] continuity error"?! SNL isn't some long-running drama where characters and plot are usually linear! 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Um, what? Is this a joke I'm not getting? Beavis and Butthead are not "actual" anythings in the 3-Dimensional world. (Of course, if you mean Eric and Junior Mint, my point is moo.)

what I was trying to say was that they were not the characters of Beavis and Butthead, just two dudes who looked like them. We didn't get one saying something like "y'know how AI pictures give people extra fingers, can they make a chick have extra boobs?". 

8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

"[A] continuity error"?! SNL isn't some long-running drama where characters and plot are usually linear! 

You're right of course, it was just my way of saying that it appeared she had done that to retire that character.  Although I would also say that my impression was that all those skits had taken place consecutively up to that point.

8 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

what I was trying to say was that they were not the characters of Beavis and Butthead, just two dudes who looked like them. We didn't get one saying something like "y'know how AI pictures give people extra fingers, can they make a chick have extra boobs?". 

Ah, I get you now. They didn't know they looked exactly like B&B, nor even who B&B were! 😊

• Like 1
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

beavis-and-butthead.jpg

Ryan Gosling and Mikey Day at the Los Angeles Premiere of "The Fall Guy".

The-Fall-Guy-_-LA-Premiere-1-3-23-screen

If they don't turn these two into a full on Beavis and Butt-Head movie it will be such a missed opportunity. 

• Like 2

Weeks later, I’m still listening to Get That Boy Back almost every day. I wish they’d release it to iTunes like they have other SNL songs (Lake Beach for example). 

Chris Stapleton’s scream is never not funny!