Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Capsized

DanaK
  • Start Topic

THURSDAY, MARCH 28, 8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT

With each moment becoming critical as the ship is flipped upside down, Athena and Bobby take charge, seeking methods for rescue while navigating efforts to guide survivors to safety. Meanwhile, Hen defies protocols in her search for Bobby and Athena.

[Cue Titanic-esque music] Hang in there, Norm!
😂😆

Then, at the end, Etta James singing "Stormy Weather" as Bobby and Athena lock eyes and run into each others' arms in slomo.

Lola's getting 10-20.
The unrepentant con artist got [a short] life without parole.

Cory will have learned nothing significant from the experience, but maybe he survived to create something world changing while everyone else is caught up in distractions.

• Like 3

Awwww, I'm a bit bummed about Julian.  He was a scamp and a con man but I enjoyed him nevertheless. 

One thing I liked about 9-1-1 was a relatively low body count. I hope they don't change that at ABC.  It might be unrealistic, but I enjoy few deaths.

• Like 5
(edited)

They killed two bad guys (one of whom they tried to redeem along the way) and one good guy, and 2 of the 3 were Black. 

Yes, I'm keeping count.

There's no way Athena would miss her shot, but at least  sending the bad guy to do the dangerous climb, ensured that Athena didn't get the falling to their death story.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Really good ending to the three parter.

Stupid Home Alone kid.  Of course he gets left on a sinking boat because he never pays attention to anything going on around him.    

Glad Lady Captain survived.  Loved her reaction to Bobby’s heroics.  Also really liked that the seemingly inept doctor came through in the end.

Sucks that Lola is the one left holding the bag now that Julian is dead.   With her criminal record she will likely do some time and Norman sticking by her is iffy this time.    I did like that Julian was a criminal but not a complete asshole.   

Entertaining three parter.  This bodes well for 911 on ABC.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 5

Ok, I’m just going to say it. I despise these Big! Disaster! Episodes! and this show does it way too often. Major earthquake. Tsunami. Now we relive Posidon Adventure with THREE episodes. Not sure my eyes will survive the gigantic eye roll.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

It can’t happen because this is network television but I really really wanted to hear a loud ‘what the f***!?’ from Bobby when he finally got that hatch open and found Buck and Eddie on the other side.

• Like 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

They killed two bad guys (one of whom they tried to redeem along the way) and one good guy, and 2 of the 3 were Black. 

The black actor, Denzel Johnson, who played Wes, the Security Guard, did a believable job of dying, but when it became obvious that the black guy was the red shirt, I made a face at the TV. 
I suppose the writers et al. thought it was balanced out by having blond haired Julian die too, but I've watched too many decades for that to feel even. 

Still, yes: 

11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Entertaining three parter.  This bodes well for 911 on ABC.

Fox is not looking too good in comparison to seeing how ABC did this.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

What a cheese fest and I loved every minute of it ❤❤  We got Action Hero Bobby, Be Still My Heart Romantic Bobby and Hawt AF please do me Bobby. "Bring yourself back to me" IKTR Athena! The last 5 minutes had me blushing and smiling so much my cheeks hurt. Running into each other's arms,Bobby picking Athena up as the music swelled in the background .. Ultimate cheese and I was here for it 🥰 Then they get home and get busy. Lawd have mercy I love their love 😍

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

So much fun.  I loved pilot Tommy, and the whole Poseidon theme, and while I think they probably could have done it in two episodes, I do think that they wanted to switch networks with a bang and they did that.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, limecoke said:

Ok, I’m just going to say it. I despise these Big! Disaster! Episodes! and this show does it way too often. Major earthquake. Tsunami. Now we relive Posidon Adventure with THREE episodes. Not sure my eyes will survive the gigantic eye roll.

This is pretty par for the course when it comes to 911's and it's season opener episodes, it helps to get watchers re-invested in the show after its long breaks

• Like 3

As much as I snark about Nick and Nora do the Poseidon Adventure and as ridiculous as I find many of the stunts pulled during this three episode cruise ship arc I find it enjoyable. I'm having a good time watching it and am glad it's back. If a little dog called Asta shows up I will, however, revise my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

Oh this was good. It was cheesy and over the top but it had action and suspense. A lot of the shows I watch lately, seem to lack that. Even when they do, they expect the audience to take it serioously, (Equalizer). My mom used to watch this together on the phone. I can't help but think she would have loved every moment of it.

Now, my issue is the actor that played the ship doc seemed familliar but I can't place him.

I did an eye roll when I heard about the Bachelor crossover but I think this show is upping the campy fun this season. I'll be there for it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Now, my issue is the actor that played the ship doc seemed familliar but I can't place him.

He looked familiar to me, too, and when I looked him up I have seen some shows that he's guest-starred in but I still couldn't place him.  I think I first thought he was Wallace Langham (from the original 'C.S.I.').

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

He looked familiar to me, too, and when I looked him up I have seen some shows that he's guest-starred in but I still couldn't place him.

He was in Ocean's 11,12,and 13.

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

There's no way Athena would miss her shot, but at least  sending the bad guy to do the dangerous climb, ensured that Athena didn't get the falling to their death story.

Yeah, I thought it was strange when she handed the flare gun over to the ship's purser. She's a cop! If anyone there should know how to fire a gun it's her!

10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Stupid Home Alone kid.  Of course he gets left on a sinking boat because he never pays attention to anything going on around him.    

You know what was really stupid? The kid saying "I'm not supposed to go with strangers." First of all, how old was this kid, 10? He's not three. He knows the boat's sinking, he's not just going to sit there and wait for mommy and daddy to come get him or refuse help because he doesn't know who Bobby is. That's a chronic problem with TV shows, they seldom know how to write children realistically.

10 hours ago, limecoke said:

I've enjoyed most of the big disaster premiers like the earthquake, and the tsunami was especially well done. This, however, was such a blatant rip-off of The Poseidon Adventure that they even re-created the famous scene where the guy falls into the skylight. Which they actually referenced with a clip when Athena had her session with the therapist. Hell, I'm surprised the cruise ship wasn't named the S.S. Poseidon. I kept expecting Ernest Borgnine and Stella Stevens to round the corner at any moment.

Yes, this show is known for its campiness and even the occasional homage to movies and other TV shows. But this? Was a step too far IMO. It'd be like if Hen was forced to drive a bus 55 mph to keep a bomb from exploding, right after talking about Speed with her co-workers. Too far, show. Too far.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I thought it was strange when she handed the flare gun over to the ship's purser. She's a cop! If anyone there should know how to fire a gun it's her!

To be fair, knowing about guns might just mean she knows that she would not be shooting a sniper's rifle but something more like an extremely short barreled smooth bore shotgun. Not something designed for accuracy at range but just to put a flare into the air.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Hand wave the gun issue as blond guy’s heroic moment making a choice knowing that yeah Athena was going to arrest him regardless of what he did but he was still going to do the right thing at that moment.   Which is kinda why I am sad he died.    I would have much preferred it was handled like the young car thief who hotwired a truck to save a dude’s life back during another disaster.   Yeah you did a good thing but I am still gonna arrest you.  

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

You know what was really stupid? The kid saying "I'm not supposed to go with strangers." First of all, how old was this kid, 10? He's not three. He knows the boat's sinking, he's not just going to sit there and wait for mommy and daddy to come get him or refuse help because he doesn't know who Bobby is. That's a chronic problem with TV shows, they seldom know how to write children realistically.

But within the episode they thoroughly established that Cory, the kid, was "on the spectrum," or, as my Mom used to say, a "late bloomer," which gave Bobby the opportunity to deliver his surprisingly refreshing efficiently empathetic lines to Cory instead of gruff lines:

• [CORY] I'm not supposed to go with strangers.
  • [BOBBY] Okay, well, that's good advice. Cory, I'm Bobby. Now we're not strangers anymore. All right?
  • [CORY] Okay.
  • [BOBBY] Okay. Let's go.
  • Like 6

When they found the mom stuck in the door, and Bobby grabbed an ax, I thought he was going to hand it to Athena and say: you've done a field amputation before...

But seriously, never a dull moment, including the "who cares" team flying to the rescue!

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But within the episode they thoroughly established that Cory, the kid, was "on the spectrum," or, as my Mom used to say, a "late bloomer," which gave Bobby the opportunity to deliver his surprisingly refreshing efficiently empathetic lines to Cory instead of gruff lines

Like he did with the "proud Aspie" in the "bus through the skyscraper" episode. See, I pay attention!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
25 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Hand wave the gun issue as blond guy’s heroic moment making a choice knowing that yeah Athena was going to arrest him regardless of what he did but he was still going to do the right thing at that moment.   Which is kinda why I am sad he died.    I would have much preferred it was handled like the young car thief who hotwired a truck to save a dude’s life back during another disaster.   Yeah you did a good thing but I am still gonna arrest you. 

For me, they firmly established that blond guy Julian was never really a hero, beginning with his inappropriate come-on to Lola in the midst of the sinking ship:

• [JULIAN] There's nothing you can do to win back his trust.
  • [LOLA] You know nothing about him. Or me.
  • [JULIAN] I know a little about you. That little squeak you make.
  • [LOLA] Go to hell.

And then, later with the flare gun, Julian even tells us he's a pragmatist, not a hero:

• [ATHENA] One in the chamber. I'd hate to miss.
  • [JULIAN] Then let's not miss. Give it to me. I can climb up there, get right under it.
  • [ATHENA] You think if you just do this for us, that I'll end up letting you go?
  • [JULIAN] Better alive in prison than dead at the bottom of the ocean.

Finally, I think Lola and Norman's lines cement my conclusion:

• [NORMAN] I guess, despite everything, that Julian guy was a pretty decent human.
  • [LOLA] He was a rat, but he didn't deserve to die.

Still, I applaud the ABC writers or editors or whomever that made Julian human rather than a cartoon villain.

• Like 5

I enjoyed the 3 parter big disaster of this year. 

If the Nintendo switch kid was always left why weren't the parents always checking.  Especially if he's on spectrum. 

I laughed at the grandmother being ready with a life jacket wanting to get a good seat. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
38 minutes ago, Artsda said:

If the Nintendo switch kid was always left why weren't the parents always checking.  Especially if he's on spectrum. 

Oh, I'm sure all of us viewers were eye-rolling Cory getting left behind.
And yet, it was bound to happen, right?

39 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I laughed at the grandmother being ready with a life jacket wanting to get a good seat. 

LOL. She was blissfully unaware of the seriousness of the situation. 

• Like 1

What kind of material were those white pants Athena wore made of? Hardly a mark on them. I'd like a pair like that.

30 minutes ago, Artsda said:

It seemed the mom was the only one who gave a damn about him.  And very unlikely that in an emergency situation making sure he was with her wasn't her first thought.  

• Like 4

Maybe the references were so blatant because they had a product placement deal with Poseidon Adventure, hoping to get a new generation or two to watch it, and they used that money to pay for some of the production costs. (Is PA available to stream? If so, I'm going to assume this is the case).

• Like 1

This was a good entry into the pantheon of 9-1-1 three-parters. My thoughts:

• As I said last episode, kudos to the stunt actors. They did some great work.
  • Bobby and Athena getting frisky after they got home reminded me of a comment I saw on another site "Bobby and Athena. Danger is their kink." 
  • I love how the the episode started with a Cat 5 hurricane and by the end everyone was reunited on a ship under partly cloudy skies.
  • Notice when Maddie is watching the newscast about the rescue and the reporter asks "Was anyone on the ship when it sank?" the audio fades out. So we're never going to know what happened to those people in the lifeboats.
  • Wes's death broke my heart. Not his death so much but seeing how they had to leave his body behind. I feel like the show did a good job of showing how everyone felt about having to do that then watch the body sink in the water

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yes, I'm keeping count.

I get what you're saying but I'm of the mindset that more Black characters mean more Black characters die. These Black actors served up excellent performances.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But within the episode they thoroughly established that Cory, the kid, was "on the spectrum,"

How? Honest question: what were the signs?

• Like 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, marceline said:

How? Honest question: what were the signs?

They showed us via a reverse time jump that Cory consistently failed to be aware of his surroundings or make any efforts to interact socially. 
He always wore noise canceling headphones and focused on his game.

But, @marceline, IRL someone like Cory might sufficiently integrate with society to live a normal life, perhaps just considered a bit quirky. 

I only mentioned Cory's personality type as an explanation to:

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But within the episode they thoroughly established that Cory,

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But this? Was a step too far IMO. It'd be like if Hen was forced to drive a bus 55 mph to keep a bomb from exploding, right after talking about Speed with her co-workers. Too far, show. Too far.

They kinda sorta did this in  Season 5.  Except the family who has the bomb in their car wasn't talking about Speed before hand, but do acknowledge the movie because they think the bomb is a joke and scoff saying "yeah, we saw this in a movie."

I am not a superfan of the season opener, multi episode big disasters.  But they've been part of the show's DNA since season 2 so at least they are consistent.  Some are more interesting than others though.  I liked the massive earthquake one from S2.

I did like this one it was campy and fun.  And I am a big Bobby/Athena fan so that made it more fun.  Also Rick Cosnett who played Julian is always welcome on my screen.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Like 4
(edited)

I guess the switch to ABC really did give them the budget they needed for this disaster arc. Fox did a good job with the disaster arcs, but no way would they have had the budget to create entire sets not just for the upright cruise ship, but the upside down cruise ship too. I'm not sure if any of the locations were just in a green screen room, but it felt real enough where it was impressive.

Out of the three episodes, I liked this one the most because it didn't feel AS campy. I mean, still campy as well with the 118 getting their old firefighter mate Tommy to fly them to Mexico, but still better than the "pirates invade the ship for five minutes and Athena's trying to cartoon run away from her husband" from the first two episodes. Also, less melodramatic acting that I found from the last episode.

I'm gonna be real honest, because I've only seen Rick Cosnett in a few roles where he's fully American and have not heard him in interviews, I absolutely thought he was faking an Australian accent for some reason. Turns out, nope, he's just speaking in his natural accent. Oops, I'll have to take back all the thoughts I had about his accent. 

Sucks for the three deaths, kind of, but they made sense. The first guy was a sacrificial lamb to show that the stakes are high, Wes' death was for that emotional impact (it was either going to be him or the ship's captain and I'm glad they didn't choose her) and Julian's death was for....actually, they really could have just had him badly injured but alive, but I guess it was for redemption. 

Zero purpose to the 118 all needing to show up for five minutes, but I guess I wish there had been more time with them on the ship.

I did have a good laugh at the flight scene, especially the 118's new chant. "Who cares?"

The Mom and Kid Ship Alone plot was really just there to add one more obstacle to get to the outside of the ship and to split up Athena and Bobby once more. So I didn't feel one way or the other about it. 

Overall it was a fun three parter, rough in places and not their best three parter (I think the blackout three parter was a lot weaker than this) but still entertaining and I've taken it for what it is: pure camp.

But I don't think this disaster solved Athena's fear of a quiet, disaster-free life with Bobby. If anything, it strengthened the idea that disaster and danger is just part of their lives forever, even if they retire, let's face it.

But I'm glad to have seen Bobby get some actual hands-on stuff. There was a point where I thought Peter Krause opted out of the stunt work completely but between some of last season and now this one, I guess he finally got his chance to shine.

I'm gonna guess we'll see Norman and Lola together again at some point down the line. I'm mildly curious to see if they can actually work through this.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not sure if any of the locations were just in a green screen room, but it felt real enough where it was impressive.

This EW article discusses a lot of the staging and effects for the 3-epi opener:
9-1-1 boss breaks down the deadly cruise ship disaster finale — and what didn't make the final cut

31 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

and Julian's death was for....actually, they really could have just had him badly injured but alive, but I guess it was for redemption. 

You're probably right, but for me Julian's death served the purpose of knowing nobody had to think about him getting life in prison v. going into witsec etc. etc. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I know I’m the outlier here, but I really don’t enjoy this show anymore.

i know this show isn’t meant to be a Breaking Bad or something, but still, for me there is no tension, no stakes.

We all know Bobby and Athena are not going to die. Not when they are trapped with water up to their chins in part two, not when the ship is capsized, not when Bobby has to climb upside down with a rigged up rope to rescue Norman.

Also, I know Angela Basset is considered a great actress, but I’ve never thought so, because she always spits out her words, always has an overacted angry tone, and I never find her believable. 

The actors who play Chim and Hen are the most nuanced actors in my opinion. They’re the reason I’ve been watching every season, and I hated when Chin disappeared in his search for Maddie.

So again, I know 9-1-1 is meant to be cheesy and over-the-top. I thought I’d see if I liked I better on ABC, but I just don’t enjoy it.

I know everyone else here does like the campy stuff, which I can tolerate, but I was actually bored, so my time has come to remove it from the DVR.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, marceline said:
  • I love how the episode started with a Cat 5 hurricane and by the end everyone was reunited on a ship under partly cloudy skies.

That’s actually pretty realistic. Hurricanes tend to suck in smaller weather patterns around them so when they clear, you’re actually left with pretty nice weather. Signed, a Floridian who’s lived through way too many of them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, marceline said:

So we're never going to know what happened to those people in the lifeboats.

When Bobby and Athena were on the rescue ships they were in the process of searching for and rescuing all the lifeboat people. Some of them had already been found, others were still being searched for.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They showed us via a reverse time jump that Cory consistently failed to be aware of his surroundings or make any efforts to interact socially. 
He always wore noise canceling headphones and focused on his game.

That went right over my head. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but I just saw a kid distracted by his video game. That's it. Perfectly normal kid thing, headphones or earbuds in, not paying any attention to anything around him, just looking at his device. IMO the show didn't do a good job of establishing the kid was on the spectrum if that's what they were going for, which is why I found him saying "I'm not supposed to go with strangers" so stupid. Even knowing that after the fact it still seems stupid to me.

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I guess the switch to ABC really did give them the budget they needed for this disaster arc.

I'm not sure the move to ABC had anything to do with the budget. The show is still produced by 20th Century Television, not by ABC. However, 2-part and 3-part episodes of television shows generally do have higher budgets, I think because it's one long story versus three stories so they save on writing and sets and so forth and can spend money elsewhere.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure the move to ABC had anything to do with the budget. The show is still produced by 20th Century Television, not by ABC. However, 2-part and 3-part episodes of television shows generally do have higher budgets, I think because it's one long story versus three stories so they save on writing and sets and so forth and can spend money elsewhere.

Yeah, I think 9-1-1 has always had a pretty nice budget from the music alone.  And the Tsunami season opener in S3 looked pretty expensive.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2024 at 10:27 PM, possibilities said:

Yes, I'm keeping count.

There was also the guy who was killed by the first bomb, the communications officer, so it was 3 out 4.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:42 PM, shapeshifter said:

The black actor, Denzel Johnson, who played Wes, the Security Guard, did a believable job of dying, but when it became obvious that the black guy was the red shirt, I made a face at the TV. 
I suppose the writers et al. thought it was balanced out by having blond haired Julian die too, but I've watched too many decades for that to feel even. 

He did do a really good death scene.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:58 PM, MrsDixon2U said:

What a cheese fest and I loved every minute of it ❤❤  We got Action Hero Bobby, Be Still My Heart Romantic Bobby and Hawt AF please do me Bobby. "Bring yourself back to me" IKTR Athena! The last 5 minutes had me blushing and smiling so much my cheeks hurt. Running into each other's arms,Bobby picking Athena up as the music swelled in the background .. Ultimate cheese and I was here for it 🥰 Then they get home and get busy. Lawd have mercy I love their love 😍

The only thing I could think about when they were on the couch was how sore they must be from all their strenuous activities of the night before. Not sure how they will get busy with everything on their bodies hurting, but I suppose where there's a will, there's a way.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That went right over my head. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but I just saw a kid distracted by his video game. That's it.…

Yeah, probably the writers were just going for the Annoying Kid who got his Mom seriously injured, almost Bobby killed, etc. etc.
But I'm more comfortable with my interpretation, even if it's not what was intended (and likely was not).

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Arkay said:

Also, I know Angela Basset is considered a great actress, but I’ve never thought so, because she always spits out her words, always has an overacted angry tone, and I never find her believable. 

I don't like her acting either.  She rarely shows a softer or light-hearted side. 

• Like 2
On 3/28/2024 at 9:27 PM, possibilities said:

11 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

There was also the guy who was killed by the first bomb, the communications officer, so it was 3 out 4.

We had

• Julian  (white)
  • Wes (black)
  • Casino A-hole (black)
  • Comms Officer (black)
  • Signal Guy (white) [I assume he died; he was in the crow's nest when the wave hit]

Although we saw survivors on the rescue ships from the lifeboats, daaamn, those lifeboats were just big rowboats, so I have no idea how any of them survived that hell-wave. Imagine the irony if Mom and Cory were the only survivors of that family...

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Although we saw survivors on the rescue ships from the lifeboats, daaamn, those lifeboats were just big rowboats, so I have no idea how any of them survived that hell-wave. Imagine the irony if Mom and Cory were the only survivors of that family...

Steven Spielberg Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

An oversized Captain Phillips lifeboat, needed for the thousands of souls on board, are not cinematic. 

8 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

It bugs me so much when movies and TV shows defy the laws of physics. The people survived in those lifeboats in the middle of that storm with huge waves when there was no one nearby to pick them up? How?

Of course the show was never going to go there with that devastating of an outcome, but that was a huge leap.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:02 PM, Quark said:

This show just owns its madness.

It's fabulous.

Yea you kind of just have to roll with it. I did like how when the showed the CGI underwater shot of the ship at the beginning they made a point of having an animated shark swimming towards it. I am just surprised that Bobby and Athena didn't also have to fight the shark when they were in the flooded sections of the ship.

Although I would have been interested in seeing a cgi version of the helicopter land on the capsized ship, because I can't imagine any helicopter pilot would do that. Plus there didn't seem enough room in the helicopter for all the people with Athena and the 118 crew so how did they deal with that (even if Buck and Eddie left to go find Bobby).

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
45 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yea you kind of just have to roll with it. I did like how when the showed the CGI underwater shot of the ship at the beginning they made a point of having an animated shark swimming towards it. I am just surprised that Bobby and Athena didn't also have to fight the shark when they were in the flooded sections of the ship.

Although I would have been interested in seeing a cgi version of the helicopter land on the capsized ship, because I can't imagine any helicopter pilot would do that. Plus there didn't seem enough room in the helicopter for all the people with Athena and the 118 crew so how did they deal with that (even if Buck and Eddie left to go find Bobby).

I seriously was expecting jaws to poke through a hole

• Like 1
  • LOL 5