Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Capsized

DanaK
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't like her acting either.  She rarely shows a softer or light-hearted side. 

I've seen Angela Bassett in other things so I know she has range, but there is something very performative about the way she speaks when she's playing Athena. 

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus there didn't seem enough room in the helicopter for all the people with Athena and the 118 crew so how did they deal with that (even if Buck and Eddie left to go find Bobby).

As soon as they spotted the capsized boat from the air they called for backup, which apparently arrived very quickly.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

As soon as they spotted the capsized boat from the air they called for backup, which apparently arrived very quickly.

Well it was set up with Maddie talking to Mexican 9-1-1 equivalent and they knew a cruise ship was off the grid. And every one was presumably out due to the hurricane 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 7:39 PM, limecoke said:

Ok, I’m just going to say it. I despise these Big! Disaster! Episodes! and this show does it way too often. Major earthquake. Tsunami. Now we relive Posidon Adventure with THREE episodes. Not sure my eyes will survive the gigantic eye roll.

I don't mind the big disasters in general - but stretched into three episodes is just too much. These three episodes add up to 129 minutes, 12 minutes longer than the The Poseidon Adventure!

By this one I was overloaded, and was bored even though all the emotional notes were there and the stunts and effects were good.

On 3/28/2024 at 9:27 PM, Maximoose said:

This is pretty par for the course when it comes to 911's and it's season opener episodes, it helps to get watchers re-invested in the show after its long breaks

Far from re-investing me, this almost turned me off the show. That's a lot of season for an opener, especially what is likely to be a shortened season.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:10 AM, Artsda said:

If the Nintendo switch kid was always left why weren't the parents always checking.  Especially if he's on spectrum.

I don't know if he's on the spectrum, but as a parent, I can't imagine any parent wouldn't immediately gather all their kids together in a disaster - even the oft overlooked one.

I do like 9-1-1, and I like all the characters. I this was the first time I've been truly bored.

Edited by Clanstarling
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I do like 9-1-1, and I like all the characters. I this was the first time I've been truly bored.

Whereas I prefer “bored” adventure TV, LOL.
I have trouble with the more gratuitous stuff that is so popular.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Whereas I prefer “bored” adventure TV, LOL.
I have trouble with the more gratuitous stuff that is so popular.

By and large, me too.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

This could probably have been a two-parter, but I do have a soft sport for these big cheese set piece openers. My favorites are still the earthquake and the tsunami, probably because they were still somewhat in the realm of possibility, but this was some nice cheesy fun. You can really tell that the show is loving that bigger budget, I can even get why they wanted to do such a big ship story to show off that new budget. 

I knew as soon as they established that the family from the opener sometimes left their youngest behind where this was going, a bit pointless on top of everything else that was happening but I did enjoy the grandma having her hat on and ready to fight for the best spot in the lifeboat and when they were worried that the pirates were coming to get them. Are the pirates going to knock?

Sad that Wes died and I even felt bad about Julien, he was a slimy crook who ended up getting them into this whole mess in the first place, but he wasn't all bad when the chips were down. Too bad it looks like they might throw the book at Lola without many other people to blame. I also like that the twitchy ship doctor stepped up in the end, a true classic 70s trope. 

• Like 3
On 3/30/2024 at 2:25 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, probably the writers were just going for the Annoying Kid who got his Mom seriously injured, almost Bobby killed, etc. etc.
But I'm more comfortable with my interpretation, even if it's not what was intended (and likely was not).

Nah. As a parent with a kid (now a teenager almost finished with high school) on the spectrum, my first thought during that entire montage was that he was on the spectrum. The only difference with mine is that we never ignored him long enough for him to be forgotten. I think it was their subtle intention to display him that way, without coming right out and saying it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, CB-LXX said:

Nah. As a parent with a kid (now a teenager almost finished with high school) on the spectrum, my first thought during that entire montage was that he was on the spectrum. The only difference with mine is that we never ignored him long enough for him to be forgotten. I think it was their subtle intention to display him that way, without coming right out and saying it.

I don't recall. Were there other siblings? That can lead to the child who needs extra monitoring to be left behind. 😉

Thanks for giving substance to my interpretation. 
The thing with "spectrums" is that they're scales with infinite points, including everyone or every item that the scale describes — whether a spectrum of a behavior ranging from "normal" to sociopathic, a fire ranging from a candle to a hundred-acre conflagration, wind speed from 0 to an F6 tornado, a disease ranging from healthy to terminal, or the colors of the rainbow or of house paint ranging from primary colors to tertiary.

But "on the spectrum" has come to mean far enough from the optimal end to behave in ways noticeably different to most people. 

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't recall. Were there other siblings? That can lead to the child who needs extra monitoring to be left behind. 😉

Thanks for giving substance to my interpretation. 
The thing with "spectrums" is that they're scales with infinite points, including everyone or every item that the scale describes — whether a spectrum of a behavior ranging from "normal" to sociopathic, a fire ranging from a candle to a hundred-acre conflagration, wind speed from 0 to an F6 tornado, a disease ranging from healthy to terminal, or the colors of the rainbow or of house paint ranging from primary colors to tertiary.

But "on the spectrum" has come to mean far enough from the optimal end to behave in ways noticeably different to most people. 

I did notice a couple of teenagers, but there was such a mixture of people in the family that I lost track of who was who, other than Mom. Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I didn't notice any other small children. Just the teens, mom, dad and I guess grandma. Maybe there was an aunt (?) too.

I really thought the kid was non-verbal with as little as he said, so it surprised me when he spoke to Bobby. My son, once he did finally learn to speak (he had speech delays) he became extremely vocal. Heck, even before he could form words and sentences, he was vocal. I used to joke that he just liked hearing the sound of his own voice, even if he was just using it to make various sounds.

Since there are varying degrees of autism (and you can probably throw ADHD, Dyspraxia, etc) into the mix, spectrum is just an all-encompassing term and then people can choose if they want to elaborate.

Edited by CB-LXX
corrected typo, etc.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

We can all say it would never happen to us.  But parents get overwhelmed…even when there are no pirates or sinking cruise ships.    I can very well see scared frantic parents call for their kid and think he is with them and being used to his quiet following of them and only noticed he wasn’t when they were on the life boat.   

• Like 1