Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E04: Timothée Chalamet / boygenius

• Start Topic

I'm guessing the 'Baby face' song was a digital short that didn't get produced in time?

And, LOL, yes; Kenan has had the same face since Nickelodeon!

Edited by Trini
  • Like 3

Finally, the strike's over! (Hopefully. Apparently SAG-AFTRA caved on AI, but it's over)

Cold Open: I didn't even WATCH that Republican debate. I'll take the show's word for it. Really liked Trump showing up and breaking the fourth wall. They got Ego as Vivek, and one of the Destroy Boys as Ron DeSantis. (And wait, was this the first time one of the PDD guys were in a live sketch?!)

Monologue: We can finally talk about self-promotion again! Really liked the jacket Timothee was wearing. I'm sure that Babyface rap was the original monologue if the strike hadn't ended, but they weren't gonna waste Punkie's costume.

50 Years of Hip Hop: The audience was just losing it at JAJ as Rick Rubin. Timothee was great as a the horrible streamer kid.

The Woman in Me: And now a parade of celebrity impressions sketch. Then again, I don't think we've seen one of these with the new kids. I think this was an excuse for Molly to re-enact the Kevin James meme. Loved Sarah as John Mulaney. We don't need him at all anymore. I can't not love Werner Herzog jokes, and JAJ was scarily accurate as him. Was also not expecting a dead-on Bill Hader, either (that was Michael Longfellow, to boot). 

Shred Zone Gym: Fun, dumb, and short. It was all building to see Sarah with big biceps.

The Destroyer: Tiny Horse! But now it's a cyberpunk future and he's gigantic! That was great.

WU: Huh, all that weird nonsense from the beginning of the cold open actually happened. Loved the joke about "Margret, the elephant who stood to inherit everything." The SNL graphics department always seems to have fun.

Heidi's bit was cut for time last week. It was okay.

Sleep Paralysis Demon: Okay, who's Troye Sivan, and why did the crowd go wild over this? It proves I'm too old for this show now. 

Love that the straightest thing Bowen could think of was Prime energy drink and the 4th season DVD of It's Always Sunny.

Please Don't Destroy: Okay, I liked the punchline of the guy jumping when he found out the boys were the PDD boys and the cut to "our videos can't be THAT bad." And the phone cracking like an egg and the guy shouting "put it in rice!"

Cassidy: Troast stars in a sketch! The reveal that she was 27 was the best part. And started covid. And has a 51 year old boyfriend named Puddy. Timothee all exasperated definitely reminded me of Adam Sandler.

Sleep Story: Dismukes is finally in a sketch! I feel like it could've gone on a little longer if it wasn't constrained by being a 5 to 1 sketch. I don't think anyone was expecting Alec Baldwin to show up at the end outta nowhere.

All and all...this one was pretty okay. Boygenius was pretty good. And I loved the bumper showing the cue card crew.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Sleep Paralysis Demon: Okay, who's Troye Sivan, and why did the crowd go wild over this? It proves I'm too old for this show now.

Wasn't Troye Sivan a musical guest on this show at some point?  Otherwise, I have no idea why I'd know the name. 

The monologue was fine.  I liked some of the Hip-Hop sketch, and I did enjoy the Cassidy sketch.  

Didn't like the cold open at all.  It possibly could have worked if they'd have been able to write good jokes about the actual debate, but to have JAJ come in as TFG and take over just wasn't funny to me at all.  

And while I thought the lost bag at the gym was somewhat amusing, it actually annoyed me at the end when she said she'd go buy a new bag.  Why not just go to the gym and see it it's there?? I know... I'm not supposed to think about this stuff logically. 

Boygenius is good. 

Overall, show was meh.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'm guessing the 'Baby face' song was a digital short that didn't get produced in time?

54 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I'm sure that Babyface rap was the original monologue if the strike hadn't ended, but they weren't gonna waste Punkie's costume.

That's the conclusion I reached as well when the monologue seemed longer than usual for a non-standup comedian host and Part A had nothing to do with Part B.  I think they just decided they liked both of them equally.  I did too so I was fine with them keeping both in.

I liked JKJ making fun of the other SNL performers in the cold open but I think it was too long.  And I don't love the impression. 

I liked the hip hop skit was good, the gym skit was silly, I liked the ending to the Do Not Destroy skit and I was living for Bowen in the Troye skit. 

54 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Sleep Story: Dismukes is finally in a sketch! I feel like it could've gone on a little longer if it wasn't constrained by being a 5 to 1 sketch. I don't think anyone was expecting Alec Baldwin to show up at the end outta nowhere.

I think something was off about this skit.  I thought the joke was supposed to be Timothee reading this gross stuff in a soft voice and I got confused as to why he was raising his voice.  Then he said something like "you want me to read it  louder, you said?" Except no one said that but I think they were supposed to as both he and Alec played the skit as if loud voices were the joke as much as the gross stuff was.

I think he's a good host but some of the skits, like that one, didn't feel completely polished. Amazingly, while he misspoke a few times, I think it was the main cast who made errors that threw off the timing, as in the Sleep Story skit.

I also have to give props to the photographer for the episode.  They took some great pictures. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
52 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Shred Zone Gym: Fun, dumb, and short. It was all building to see Sarah with big biceps.

I feel like they could have done more with this.

27-year-old orphan sketch was one of the better ones; they could have put that earlier in the show.

• Like 1

This was a big "Nope!" for me. Unfunny opener, especially considering the real people. And Trump's lines were completely NOT TRUMP, because he spouted statistics.

Britney's book: I can do a better John Mulaney, and I'm a 74-year-old dame! Plus, they could have done Bill Hader as Bill Hader doing someone else, like Keith Harrison. "Timothee Chalamet" was totally him, though. 

But mostly, I cannot believe that Chalamet STILL wants to present (or rather, reprise) himself as some Rap star! And SNL notwithstanding, he's kidding on the square! FEH, TIMMY! FEH!

("Wonka" will flop. MMW.)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 3

Overall, I thought the episode was mostly meh, especially compared to his first hosting gig. There were several sketches in that first ep that I thought were genuinely funny and rewatchable - whereas in this ep, other than maybe the first sketch, I don't really have any desire to see any of them again. I get that some fans just enjoy watching Timmy sing anything, but the appeal of Tiny Horse completely escapes me. But kudos to him for having a popular enough sketch (two even since the character in the rap sketch was from his first ep, too) that they wanted to reprise it. The gym sketch could have been good, but wasn't. One joke sketches can be funny (like the Kieran Culkin cable company sketch) but this just felt tired.

It's funny, because in many ways he seemed more poised and confident as a host - especially in the monologue, but he was able to keep it together much more last time. Last time, he broke a couple of times in a couple of sketches, but this time he broke several times in almost every sketch that wasn't pre-recorded. Sometimes I enjoy when the hosts/cast break, especially when I understand why, but sometimes he would start to smile/laugh for no obvious reason. Sometimes it was funny, but mostly I found it distracting.

• Like 6

I know of Timothee Chalamet more through the whole social media phenomenon than through his actual work. I've seen Little Women. Most of my exposure to him as a performer is through SNL. I'm never going to see Wonka, for me there is only one and that's Gene Wilder (you can hear Roald Dahl screaming as I type these words), so I'm glad they kept the promotion to a minimum. I half-expected them to have that Charlie's grandparents set on standby for a third outing.

I tried to keep my expectations low for last night, because his first episode felt very fresh after a dry spell, and he brought such a youthful energy. And the last episode, with Nate Bargatze, was one of the consistently strongest in some time.

I liked this episode more than a number of the other comments, but I do have a few complaints: 

- Update has become the weakest part of the show for me. I assume we are getting such short Updates because they know Jost and Che are on the way out. I don't mind the decision, but when you have short jokes contrasted with an overfamiliar commentary, it's the worst of both worlds. I didn't enjoy this Heidi character before, and I did not enjoy it this time. I want to see someone new on Update. I don't want more Bowen, or Kenan, or Heidi.

- I groaned when I thought we were getting a debate sketch. Trump interrupting was not an unwelcome turn, but I also don't want to see Trump (neither does the studio audience, it seems). The meta jabs at the show's casting decisions amused me in places (especially pointing out how little they care to cast one of the PDD guys as DeSantis), but meta jabs can veer on, "You can do better, and you know you can."

- Similar to after Adam Driver hosted and had viral sketches, we had returns for two of Timothee's popular sketches. I didn't dislike either of these (the hip-hop sketch was almost as good as the original) but seeing them both added a very samey air which wasted the cast and the potential of Timothee as a host. The best part about both of them was seeing JAJ get to be weird and not be Trump.

- I just don't care about impression parades. I felt like this one existed solely to try to give Chloe Fineman a big moment. We got so many scattered images of the rest of the cast, the equivalent of the meme about Oprah and the car. I enjoyed a few (especially Werner Herzog, and even though we barely saw it, Bill Hader being impersonated made me smile), but not enough to care.

- I don't want to see Alec Baldwin on SNL. I didn't even before what happened on that set. The whole thing deflated my mood, and I felt bad for Andrew and Punkie that their work was thrown out by him being shoved in at the last possible second (so short the audience didn't even get to react). If this cameo was meant to help rehab him, that shouldn't be his priority and it sure shouldn't be the show's. This season has had some retro touches I've appreciated, but being reminded of the show that paraded Joey Buttafuoco around is not one of them. 

The rest of the episode I was able to enjoy, even when I felt like I should know better.

- The monologue was a mess, clearly rewritten during and post-strike, but I still enjoyed Timothee's cringe-with-commitment rap, well-paired with Marcello, who is just beaming with star power these days. I also enjoyed Punkie's turn as Nicki Minaj.

- The gym sketch I expected to dislike, but as they zeroed in on the stupidity of the Mikey/Timothee/Sarah characters, I began to enjoy myself. The performances were funny to me, how they each doubled down on the same beat. This was the most I've enjoyed Heidi lately, reacting to them, especially her flinching every time they blared the hold music. Even in his eight season, Mikey is surprising me.  

- I would normally hate that Troye Sivan sketch, just such obvious pandering to a certain demo, which often makes SNL look about 100 years old. I still enjoyed myself, because everyone was enjoying themselves so much, but not in a way that acted like the audience wasn't there. Timothee was just so inside that impression, and when Boygenius joined him, I couldn't help being entertained. 

- My near-permanent reaction to PDD is like, not love, which was also the case here, but I thought this was a great use of Timothee and PDD going back and forth with him as the situation got worse. Killing himself when he realized who they were was a strong ending...or would have been if it hadn't felt cut up at the end. 

- I loved the moon sketch. Having to reply to Chloe Troast just at the right time between her song seemed hard, but Timothee got better as it went along. Chloe, meanwhile, was an absolute revelation, especially for her fourth episode. I'm pleasantly shocked this got on the air, as so many new cast members are constantly kept in their place (look at Michael Longfellow's airtime this season). Something about her extremely vibrant vocal performance, and how much time was spent just on her and the host, felt a world away from how cold and bloated the SNL of recent decades can be.

• Like 1

I thought Timmy was great. I can’t believe how hard I laughed during the gym sketch. The Troye Sivan sketch will definitely get cut from any “classic SNL” shows in the future.

I had heard Boygenius was brilliant, but, um, they were meh. The first song sounded very 90’s.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think something was off about this skit.  I thought the joke was supposed to be Timothee reading this gross stuff in a soft voice and I got confused as to why he was raising his voice.  Then he said something like "you want me to read it  louder, you said?" Except no one said that but I think they were supposed to as both he and Alec played the skit as if loud voices were the joke as much as the gross stuff was.

Yeah, I think maybe Andrew forgot a line (or Timothee said his before Andrew had a chance), because Timothee's character says, "You want me to raise my voice?" I was all, Where did that come from? 

I know he hosted before, but I don't remember anything from his first time. Therefore, I was completely lost as to why the audience was cheering at different times. I don't remember Tiny Horse. I don't remember Troy Savon, or whatever his name is. And he's a real person. Huh. 

I didn't like this ep. 

In the CO I did like the line about Tim Scott being at 1%, which is lower than milk, and then Trump dubbing him Skim Scott. Clever. Too clever for the real Trump, though he enjoys giving people punny nicknames, like a middle schooler.

I enjoyed some of the impressions, particularly Kevin James, Fred Schneider, Werner Herzog, and Bill Hader.

Didn't like the Shred Zone Gym sketch, though I appreciated the fake veiny, muscley arms.

WU was kind of a bore. I could not stand the Heidi appearance. I nearly FF'd thru it but decided to endure.

Perhaps the best, most surprising part of the ep was in the Unwanted Girls Home sketch when Chloe T first broke into song. 

So what's with Timothee singing all the time? Almost every sketch he was in had him singing or dancing or doing something with music.

huh... didn't know who timothee was but i liked him as the host, liked the tiny horse skit a lot too

i really liked the boy genius group numbers, but that's probably because i'm old, so a welcome change from the rap type stuff

didn't like the mention of hamas 

could do without ever seeing alec baldwin again,i mean ever

The best show this season was Nate Bargatze, IMHO.  This wasn't as funny, but Timothee Chalamet is my favorite type of host.  A good actor who is willing to go all in on the silliness of any sketch.  

And I've already watched the original Tiny Horse sketch this morning.

• Like 3

I know zero about Chloe T, but holy crap. She should be the musical guest on another show.

I did like Boygenius.

Overall meh. Everyone tried, the writing wasn't funny (with the exception of the Cassidy sketch). 

Also, I'm really over the political stuff and Trump. If the show wants to say something with it, fine. But trotting it out just to do it, not interested. They are all horrible people and I don't find them funny at this stage. YMMV.

39 minutes ago, Thalia said:

The best show this season was Nate Bargatze, IMHO.

Agree. The George Washington sketch was an instant classic.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Perhaps the best, most surprising part of the ep was in the Unwanted Girls Home sketch when Chloe T first broke into song. 

So what's with Timothee singing all the time? Almost every sketch he was in had him singing or dancing or doing something with music.

Chloe T was outstanding in that sketch. She’ll get all the singing parts Cecily used to get. I get the sense that she grew up a musical theater kid.

Since Wonka is a musical, I guess he’s working hard to brand himself as a singer?

boygenius was just OK for me. Their refusal to follow conventional capitalization bugs me, but I appreciated their nod to The Beatles in their outfits and drumhead logo.

8 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

appeal of Tiny Horse completely escapes me

I was very confused by the audience reaction because I had completely forgotten about the original or indeed anything about Timothées first host appearance.

I enjoyed the Cold Open once it got going with Trump's criticism of the candidates and the meta-digs at the casting. It wasn't as good as the Last Supper one but I laughed enough.

I enjoyed Bowen's doctor in the Sleep Study but I would have handled Timothée's lack of Australian accent differently. I take it the additional dancers were from boygenius? I had no idea who they might be until I saw the assortment of women  in suits at the goodnights. 

• Like 1

Lest some think I have not an ounce of modernity, I must say that I highly enjoyed Timothee's first hosting gig, and that his Rap skit with Pete Davidson was---how should I put it?---YEET!  This time, yeah, no. 

And I cannot abide Marcello. I think his Angry or Offended or What About My Being Hispanic Do You Not Get, Lucy?! Character is too close to the true Marcello, aka,  Chip on His Shoulder unfunny. (Didn't like him at all as the Low-Achieving Brother to Austin Butler's character.)

• Like 1

Did not like the cold open.  Not happy that Trump comes off smarter on SNL than he is in his real-life ramblings.  Also...the boring joke of Biden falling up the stairs was old last season.  Several of the "jokes" in Weekend Update seemed unnecessarily hurtful including another dig at teachers.  

Overall, not a fan of the show last night.  

Timothee had a hard time finding his note in the beginning of "Pure Imagination" but seemed to improve at his next entrance.

• Like 3

If they are going to have JAJ do his Trump impression, they need to get him an unflattering wig and go harder on the orange make up.

I have a visceral aversion to Chalomet, to me he just oozes smug and obnoxious, but I wound up liking the show. Maybe I just had low enough expectations to be pleasantly surprised? I thought almost all the sketches were somewhat funny or better.

The Cornel West impression was scarily accurate. I used to love CWest but not anymore, so I'm ambivalent about him even being noticed enough to be parodied at the moment. 

I know the Britney sketch was just an excuse for a parade of impressions, but I enjoyed the impressions! It also surprisingly made me think: ye gods, maybe I will actually read the book-- something I had not even vaguely considered ever doing, but if I read it now, I will be imagining it in all the different voices and that might be one hell of an amusing afternoon.

I am also a Gene Wilder as Wonka person, and was super-negative on the idea of seeing the latest version, but I was embarrassingly dazzled by the colors, so... I dunno. I had not heard anything much about it, but from the promo that aired last night, it seems like it's (thankfully) not just a remake of the original story, so maybe I will allow myself to be sucked into seeing that now, too. The Oompa Loompas are extremely problematic, and I don't know if casting Hugh Grant solves that problem, but they showed me the face of Keegan Michael Key, so I have to at least consider that I'd like it.

I didn't think I was in an easy mood, but maybe I am.

I forgot about Tiny Horse so was totally lost during the Giant Horse reveal when the audience started whooping. Before that, I was thinking: this is a lot of build up, and a lot of production, where are they headed? 

I thought WU was less funny than usual. Oh well. Every team has a slow week now and then.

I loved the Troye sketch. "He's Gay Famous! It's not the same thing!"  Whenever my people get any representation, the voices come out and call it pandering. Why isn't it considered pandering when media caters to straight community jokes? 

The sleep story was funny to me until Alec Baldwin showed up. Even before the movie set disaster, he was someone I would have been happy to see carted off the radar forever. A man with rage management problems and an under-developed conscience doesn't need more amplification. The smug obnoxious that radiates off him is more than a performative veneer. At last Chalomet is actually competent at acting, willing to play a character that's mocked, and willing to share the stage. Look how he played the support role in the orphanage sketch.

And... speaking of the orphanage sketch.... way to go, Chloe and team!!!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, possibilities said:

If they are going to have JAJ do his Trump impression, they need to get him an unflattering wig and go harder on the orange make up.

Before the ep aired, I had expected something with Trump, but I was sure they'd have him wearing that hideously applied bronzer. (Honestly, after seeing the pics of him with the poorly applied makeup -- which I've read he does himself -- I wondered why the heck nobody in his orbit told him.)

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

- Update has become the weakest part of the show for me. I assume we are getting such short Updates because they know Jost and Che are on the way out. I don't mind the decision, but when you have short jokes contrasted with an overfamiliar commentary, it's the worst of both worlds. I didn't enjoy this Heidi character before, and I did not enjoy it this time. I want to see someone new on Update. I don't want more Bowen, or Kenan, or Heidi.

Oh good, Che/Jost are leaving. Whan? They're too snide in their jokes and maybe have 1 good joke a WU between them. Not a fan of the Heidi bit. Seemed out of place and apparently it was.

The rest was fun, but not overly exciting. 

I liked the gym skit because they weren't trying to do anything big with it and just filled in some time. Not every skit has to be about something. 

The orphanage skit was fun, but seemed like it went on just a tad too long.

I went to bed during the Sleepy Stories skit and missed the AB. By then I needed a sleepy story myself.

I liked boygenius, especially the second song. Haven't heard of them before (I'm old). 

The sleep center skit was fun and again didn't have much of a point and I'd forgotten who whoever that was supposed to be was and that he'd been on SNL. Bowen & Sarah always brings the extra to make these sorts of skits sort of work, though.

PDD: The music reminded me of "Pony" that Channing Tatum danced to in Magic Mike. Their skits are hit/miss.

Edited by Kristi800
  • Like 4
33 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Oh good, Che/Jost are leaving. Whan? They're too snide in their jokes and maybe have 1 good joke a WU between them. Not a fan of the Heidi bit. Seemed out of place and apparently it was.

Sorry, I was just assuming (they stepped down as headwriters last season, write very few other sketches on the show these days, the shorter Updates, etc.).

15 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Sorry, I was just assuming (they stepped down as headwriters last season, write very few other sketches on the show these days, the shorter Updates, etc.).

Shucks. Wish they were stepping down as WU hosts...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Hope not!!!! They're the best part of any show!!!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, cinsays said:

i really liked the boy genius group numbers, but that's probably because i'm old

In 1975, there were musical acts (and other bits) that I just didn’t know or get. I assumed because I just wasn’t cool enough. Forty-eight years later, nothing much has changed. 

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of Che, but I like Jost ok. I wouldn't mind Che leaving.

2 hours ago, Kristi800 said:

I liked the gym skit because they weren't trying to do anything big with it and just filled in some time. Not every skit has to be about something. 

I agree that sketches don't have to BE about anything, but this one didn't do it for me. Maybe it was the execution. Maybe it was Heidi's performance. I dunno.

• Like 3

I think Heidi is always very good in sketches, but I never like any of her solo characters.

I felt kind of bad when PDD said nobody thinks they're funny. But then I remembered how incredibly lucky they are and I wondered if that was a little manipulative.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2

Aw, jeez. I wanted to like boygenius, but after a short time listening to each song I gave up and fast  forwarded, thinking: are they supposed to sound like that? Or is there something wrong with the sound system?

Maybe I should give them another chance. They just sounded to me like they had sore throats and couldn't hit any intended notes, and the vocals were nearly drowned out by the fuzzy noise.

Edited by possibilities
typo
  • Applause 3
15 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Aw, jeez. I wanted to like boygenius, but after a shore time listening to each song I gave up and fast  forwarded, thinking: are they supposed to sound like that? Or is there something wrong with the sound system?

Maybe I should give them another chance. They just sounded to me like they had sore throats and couldn't hit any intended notes, and the vocals were nearly drowned out by the fuzzy noise.

Thank you! I thought it was my TV.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Aw, jeez. I wanted to like boygenius, but after a shore time listening to each song I gave up and fast  forwarded, thinking: are they supposed to sound like that? Or is there something wrong with the sound system?

SNL is somewhat notorious for a bad sound system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

X is all a-Twitter (see what I did there?) over the PDD sketch for the Hamas "joke." Also for the entire "suicide, haha" premise. 

Dang, Timmy! You better not have just sunk "Dune: 2"! 

Twitter is becoming more and more irrelevant by the day. Many (including her manager apparently, who went on a rant) were also convinced SNL was attacking Britney Spears (the show has never been as respectful about Britney, or most celebrities, as it is these days) and were insistent that the show was attacking Nicki Minaj by having Punkie play her and rap along with Timothee and Marcello. Most of these people didn't even watch the material.

There is so much performative nonsense on there about SNL - I still remember when some people were insisting that Bowen was doing his Chen Biao character as a psyop for the CIA trying to make us hate China. Or how many times they dredge up a selectively edited clip of an anti-war sketch from 2002 to try to make it seem like it was pro-war. 

I think the joke was a lazy gag, maybe it should have been cut, but the whole "people are dying, how dare you" crowd must have zero awareness of this show, or of any satire. And if they actually watched the show, they would know the Please Don't Destroy guys are so risk-averse, you can almost see training wheels any time they appear.

I have criticized SNL until my fingers are numb, so when I have to defend it against such opportunistic stupidity I end up feeling even worse. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 2

Timothée Chalamet is adorable.

Not a fan of Chloe Fineman's Britney Spears. Too much Chloe and not enough Britney.

Werner Herzog. Is he still alive?

Dog isn't the color dog.

Giant Horse/Tiny Horse went over my head. Was it a rag on bad CGI?

WU: I didn't realize Jared Leto was so disliked. Chipotle burrito phone.

Troye Sivan, a moistured MGK.

49 and 30 months-old. Is Chloe Troast actually a good singer? She was great at trying to sing badly.

LET'S GET CALM!

I think Timothée did good with what he was given to work with. I see a five-timer jacket in his future.

• Like 2

I'm not great at remembering past musical artists, past sketches by a particular host or characters that we see maybe once a season.  seems to me like lazy writing to have to retread such things and anyone new, or who doesn't remember a particular sketch from a year or more ago, has no idea what the "joke" is.  

am i the only one who really doesn't care for PDD?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

SNL is somewhat notorious for a bad sound system.

I had never heard of boygenius before SNL announced their appearance, that said I have never heard any lyrics to their songs once they appeared on SNL.  I had no idea it was a an all female or non male band, I have no idea of their pronouns so...I liked their sound.  The musical sound director should be fired.

• Like 2

I do not get the appeal of Timothee Chalamet at all.  He definitely is NOT Willy Wonka.  And comedy is not his forte.  The only funny bits were ones which did not involve him.

And boygenius is some kind of supergroup?  Like for boring, derivative pop/rock, I guess.  Although at least they sounded more in tune than Dave Grohl did a couple of weeks ago.

The cold open was kinda funny but no way is Trump anywhere near that self-aware.  The bit about the people behind him having to stay motionless made me laugh, though.

The "Woman in Me" auditions were hysterical.  Especially Dame Maggie Smith.

Weekend Up rarely fails to deliver, although when you have the kind of material the news is giving them, they shouldn't fail.

The sleep story skit only got good when Alec Baldwin showed up.

• Like 2
On 11/12/2023 at 1:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

I can't not love Werner Herzog jokes, and JAJ was scarily accurate as him.

I loved that.  Werner Herzog is one strange and interesting person.

Huh, all that weird nonsense from the beginning of the cold open actually happened.

Yep.  SNL's writers didn't really have to work that hard, with the material the actual candidates gave them.

Okay, who's Troye Sivan, and why did the crowd go wild over this? It proves I'm too old for this show now. 

Me, too.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:49 AM, Pete Martell said:

I'm never going to see Wonka, for me there is only one and that's Gene Wilder (you can hear Roald Dahl screaming as I type these words), so I'm glad they kept the promotion to a minimum.

Exactly.  Too bad, Roald Dahl, but Gene Wilder's creation was much better than your original one.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:10 PM, Thalia said:

The best show this season was Nate Bargatze, IMHO.

That General Washington sketch was the best thing I've seen on SNL in quite some time.

On 11/12/2023 at 11:17 AM, peeayebee said:

I know he hosted before, but I don't remember anything from his first time.

I remember the Tiny Horse skit.  It wasn't funny, but at least it was memorable, I guess?

11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

X is all a-Twitter (see what I did there?) over the PDD sketch for the Hamas "joke." Also for the entire "suicide, haha" premise. 

Dang, Timmy! You better not have just sunk "Dune: 2"! 

I thought it was funny as hell.  But at least now I get why some of the people with whom I interact on Twitter (nope, not calling it X.  Suck it, Elon!) were butthurt about it.

6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Werner Herzog. Is he still alive?

Yes and still making movies.  Probably weird ones.  Although Grizzly Man was excellent and far less strange than much of his work.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1