Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E05: Yessir, the Pink City

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Teams travel more than 2,000 miles from Vietnam to India where they must balance traditional pots on their heads while performing a folk dance and assemble a life-size, three-dimensional mural.

Original airdate 10/25/23

Wow, seems like it's been a long time since we had a close race for last. I'm gonna need Morgan & Lena to stop being in these races though. I ended up liking Joe & Ian better by the end than I did in the first episode, so that was a little too bad. Their dumbfounded reaction to the monkey fight 😆

Loved Greg and John's big smiles as they posed in the diorama.

I know Anna Leigh isn't everyone's favorite, but I kinda love that the Team To Beat is the older fella and the tiniest person in the race, and that the tiny person is the one leading the charge.

43 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I know Anna Leigh isn't everyone's favorite, but I kinda love that the Team To Beat is the older fella and the tiniest person in the race, and that the tiny person is the one leading the charge.

That tiny person is seriously In Charge. I do appreciate seeing a father/daughter team do so well despite her rather, ah, strong personality. The foreshadowing was coming on strong that they are likely to be U turned or whatever we’re calling it. Editors also seems to drop some hints about other teams at risk; my hope is Corey & Rob having a rough day and being so damn likable spares them next week.

The painting recreation was a brutal task for tired racers who aren’t great at paying attention to itty bitty details.

• Like 12

I was out tonight. I probably should have stayed home to watch this instead.

I have to admit, it would suck for anyone to get eliminated due to having an odd-shaped head and poor balance. Corey going through that was tough to watch, but he and his dad managed to grit out a finish, albeit at the back of the pack. I hope they’re proud.

If Steve & Anna Leigh don’t get eliminated soon, I get the feeling she will be working my last nerve.

Bit of a lopsided Detour, in that the puppets were easier to make than working the mural. Worst part of that end was watching one sister almost stab the other with a needle. For a split-second, I held my breathe, because that would be a terrible thing to happen.

Good set of judges, good greeter, and Phil remains awesome. I liked him letting teams tell each other where they placed. I’m also thinking we’ll be getting another short period between first and last place when they set out next week.

• Like 12
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Corey going through that was tough to watch, but he and his dad managed to grit out a finish, albeit at the back of the pack. I hope they’re proud.

I'm going to be optimistic and say sixth is mid pack.

I really loved the teams telling the new arrivals where they placed.

• Like 17

Now this was an awesome leg. My heart was pounding when we could see Joe & Ian running steps behind the back of Lena/Morgan's rickshaw. I know we don't always know what magic the editors are working, but it did literally look like L&M's rickshaw driver's "shortcut" gave them the extra ninety seconds or two minutes that they needed to get to Phil first. PhD_Mom & I were convinced they were going to roll up at the exact same time and Joe & Ian would've won a footrace to the mat..

I'm also loving how the detours seemed to be evenly paired with each other. There isn't an "automatic" choice amongst the two that every team is doing. Corey & Rob choosing to do the puppets saved their butts after the son's debacle of a dance roadblock. Although thinking back, they probably would've have known that all stations at the mural challenge would've been full already, which in hindsight made the puppet choice for them (and the bearded dudes) the only right call they could make..

It does feel like heavy foreshadowing that Steve & Ana Leigh will probably get U-turned. The question will be, how is the leg designed? If the detour is immediately at the beginning of the leg w/ some travel & a roadblock afterwards I don't think they'll have an issue surviving. But if it's designed where everything else happens first before the detour and it's very close to the pitstop, then they are going to have to hustle like crazy to give themselves enough cushion where they can do both detours & not fall all the way back to last..

• Like 7

I'm not too sorry to see Joe and Ian gone, I never really warmed up to them and still don't know which one is which. But I'm not altogether crazy about Morgan and Lena either so it was a tossup. Morgan and Lena have been circling the drain for awhile now so I don't like their chances overall.

That said, placement shakeups! Which means a well-designed leg. Robbin and Chelsea from 1st to 7th, Ashlie and Todd from 3rd to 5th, Rob and Corey from 4th to 6th, Liam and Yeremi from 5th to 8th, Malaina and Andrea from 6th to 4th, Greg and John from 7th to 2nd, Joel and Garret from 8th to 3rd. The only teams to stay roughly the same were Morgan and Lena (in last) and Steve and Anna Leigh (technically first, in the first half of the last leg, then 2nd overall.)

I was really worried about Corey and Rob after that Roadblock. I didn't realize how invested I am in them. Good job moving up all the way from last place after that. Yes, the puppet detour seemed like the easier choice. (Also, did we know Corey wears glasses? Total Clark Kent moment.)

When they were all walking around those weird ledges to get their Detour clue, some team passed by a dog right on the edge of one and I was like "Careful Doggie!"

• Like 14
  • Love 1

I don't really know which one is Lena and which one is Morgan, but the way they, as a collective unit, "accidentally" almost throw eels in each other's faces and/or "accidentally" almost stab those faces with needles* is hilarious. I can't wait for the next facial near-accident. 

* after which the editors cut to the scene of the monkeys fighting, just as "accidentally"

• Like 6
  • LOL 12

I thought one of the tasks might be hauling water up and down all those steps. That would be killer.

So how does this mandatory U-turn work. Phil emphasized it's mandatory, but that can't be for every team or else you'd have everyone U-turned, which is just the same as having every team do both tasks. Is it mandatory just for the first team to get there?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tango64 said:

I thought one of the tasks might be hauling water up and down all those steps. That would be killer.

So how does this mandatory U-turn work. Phil emphasized it's mandatory, but that can't be for every team or else you'd have everyone U-turned, which is just the same as having every team do both tasks. Is it mandatory just for the first team to get there?

It seems like they're going to have all the teams vote on it before they leave the pitstop.  The team with the most votes, gets a mandatory U-turn when they come to the task. Otherwise, it makes no sense.  If they know from the start which team is being U-turned, then that team will have to do both tasks whether they're in first place or last when they get there.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

It seems like they're going to have all the teams vote on it before they leave the pitstop.  The team with the most votes, gets a mandatory U-turn when they come to the task.

That doesn't make sense to me.  I got the impression that no team is allowed to say "we're not using the U-turn".  Every team must use the U-turn.  I'm not getting the sense that there's any advance voting to be had, just that when they reach the U-turn board they have to play it.  (People speculated on this advance voting thing a few episodes ago, and it made no sense to me then, either.)

If I remember right, you can't U-turn a team ahead of you, right?  Only a team behind you.  Getting to the board 1st is your only guarantee of not being U-turned.  If so, theoretically, every team (other than 1st place) could be U-turned by another, with everyone ending up doing 2 tasks.  Or, teams could burn their U-turn by playing it on a team ahead of them or one that has already been U-turned, and effectively work together to put one specific team behind everyone else.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I feel like they've been to that MC Escher building before, and had a task there.  Did I dream that, or was that a thing -- maybe from an early season?

RE: the U-turn -- I thought I heard Phil say last night that there would be an anonymous vote, and that every team had to vote on who'd be U-turned.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, chaifan said:

That doesn't make sense to me.  I got the impression that no team is allowed to say "we're not using the U-turn".  Every team must use the U-turn.  I'm not getting the sense that there's any advance voting to be had, just that when they reach the U-turn board they have to play it.  (People speculated on this advance voting thing a few episodes ago, and it made no sense to me then, either.)

If I remember right, you can't U-turn a team ahead of you, right?  Only a team behind you.  Getting to the board 1st is your only guarantee of not being U-turned.  If so, theoretically, every team (other than 1st place) could be U-turned by another, with everyone ending up doing 2 tasks.  Or, teams could burn their U-turn by playing it on a team ahead of them or one that has already been U-turned, and effectively work together to put one specific team behind everyone else.

If every team must use the U-turn, what happens if someone gets U-turned twice?  Do they have to do the task twice?  Or 3 or 4 times?  And, if every team has to use it, what about the team in last place when they hit the U-turn?  Forcing them to cast a vote for a team that's ahead of them is a waste of time.  That's why I am thinking that all the teams are going to have to cast their votes prior to the start of the leg and that one team, that gets the most votes, will be the victims of the U-turn.

If the U-turn vote is anonymous, it takes the personal element out of it and does help avoid the Survivor-like nasty vibes that come when the U-turned team doesn't lose the leg and has to interact with the team(s) that turned them in future legs.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
Just now, Notabug said:

That's why I am thinking that all the teams are going to have to cast their votes prior to the start of the leg and that one team, that gets the most votes, will be the victims of the U-turn.

I am almost positive that Phil said exactly this to Steve & Anna Leigh when they got to the mat.

21 minutes ago, Corgi-ears said:

I don't really know which one is Lena and which one is Morgan, but the way they, as a collective unit, "accidentally" almost throw eels in each other's faces and/or "accidentally" almost stab those faces with needles* is hilarious. I can't wait for the next facial near-accident.

It's always Lena (the younger sister) doing the throwing/stabbing, and Morgan (the older sister) being on the receiving end. This is perhaps subconscious revenge for Morgan doing things like making sure Lena knows what continent India is in.

13 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

That tiny person is seriously In Charge. I do appreciate seeing a father/daughter team do so well despite her rather, ah, strong personality. The foreshadowing was coming on strong that they are likely to be U turned or whatever we’re calling it. Editors also seems to drop some hints about other teams at risk; my hope is Corey & Rob having a rough day and being so damn likable spares them next week.

The painting recreation was a brutal task for tired racers who aren’t great at paying attention to itty bitty details.

Seems like they'd have quite a head start for the next leg.

So there could be bunching or some other team beats them to the U-TUrn which is after a Road Block or something.

But U-Turn is mandatory, the first team must use it, and it's anonymous?  Why the anonymity?

AL dominated that dance with the head balancing.  They got a lead the others couldn't overcome.

That one team switched tasks after 2 hours did she say of not being able to figure out the tableau?

But kind of blasted through the dolls.  I guess that's another advantage for AL and her father, that doll task seemed to go much faster.

Must have been fatigue that prevented the eliminated team from seeing the differences between the smaller picture and the tableau.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Corey might have struggled with the balancing, but he was getting damn good at catching all the bowls behind his back.

I was just glad that those things weren't breakable. At the beginning, I was envisioning shards of broken pottery all over the place.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
Just now, Tango64 said:

This confusion over the mandatory U-turn is reminding me of all the complicated immunity idols in Survivor that I can't understand. Let's not go that direction, Phil.

I guess I'm not finding it that confusing? Phil said to Steve & AL as they checked in (and presumably to all the teams, they just didn't show them all) that sometime before the next leg, they will all vote anonymously for someone to U-Turn. The team that gets the most votes will have to do it, and they'll find out when they get to the Detour clue, same as any other U-Turn.

The vote happens before any teams are out on the course, so there are no issues of U-Turning a team that's ahead of you and already done with the Detour. If you get to the Detour first and you've gotten the most votes, you've been U-Turned and have to do both.

Am I missing something?

19 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I guess I'm not finding it that confusing? Phil said to Steve & AL as they checked in (and presumably to all the teams, they just didn't show them all) that sometime before the next leg, they will all vote anonymously for someone to U-Turn. The team that gets the most votes will have to do it, and they'll find out when they get to the Detour clue, same as any other U-Turn.

The vote happens before any teams are out on the course, so there are no issues of U-Turning a team that's ahead of you and already done with the Detour. If you get to the Detour first and you've gotten the most votes, you've been U-Turned and have to do both.

Am I missing something?

I think you have it exactly right - I don't see any other way it could work.

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

This confusion over the mandatory U-turn is reminding me of all the complicated immunity idols in Survivor that I can't understand. Let's not go that direction, Phil.

The mandatory  u turn has been used before. All teams write down who they want to u turn, the team with the most votes, will have to do both tasks. I remember  it not being that confusing,  and the team who got it, completed both tasks, and stayed in the race.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, dancingdreamer said:

The mandatory  u turn has been used before. All teams write down who they want to u turn, the team with the most votes, will have to do both tasks. I remember  it not being that confusing,  and the team who got it, completed both tasks, and stayed in the race.

Maybe it's just how it was explained. And didn't the preview show a U-turn board with all the team pics, like a normal U-turn? That added to my confusion because if they voted before the leg, it seems there would just be the one unlucky team's pic at the U-turn. 

But I'll trust you're all correct with how it works.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, dancingdreamer said:

I don't recall that.

I thought it was first to the U-turn board so that the dual tasks come up right after.

Unless they collect the votes on the next leg and then it comes into effect the leg after that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

If the U-turn vote is anonymous, it takes the personal element out of it and does help avoid the Survivor-like nasty vibes that come when the U-turned team doesn't lose the leg and has to interact with the team(s) that turned them in future legs.

Oh, I don't know....I'm kinda here for that drama!  In my fantasy of how this will work--and we won't know until next week--the photo of the U-Turned team will be at the detour task, with photos of all the teams who voted for the U-Turned team displayed as well. 

A unanimous vote will bring the drama, and I assume the U-Turned team (*cough*cough*Anna-Leigh*cough*cough*) will either be crushed with the that knowledge they are unpopular, or they will be all "LOSERS HATE WINNERS!!!!" about it.  The U-Turn not being anonymous can also be strategically revealing.  The U-Turned team knows who is against them, and by inference, might look to support from the teams who didn't vote for them.  

I'm actually looking forward to how all of this is going to play out.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I assume the U-Turned team (*cough*cough*Anna-Leigh*cough*cough*) will either be crushed with the that knowledge they are unpopular, or they will be all "LOSERS HATE WINNERS!!!!" about it.

I'm on the record as kinda loving Anna Leigh, but I think we all know which of these tacks she will take. She is the crusher, not the crushee.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, add learning to balance things on your head to the list of skills that you should master before going on the show, along with driving a manual transmission, learning to swim, and reading to map. Needing to balance things on your head doesn't happen as often as the other stuff, but it comes up surprisingly often and it's not a skill that will ever hurt a team to have mastered.

This was a good leg for Andrea and Malaina—particularly Andrea. She managed to get through the roadblock relatively quickly and she spotted some of the details in the dress up detour quickly as well. This team has been improving pretty steadily, but I suspect they won't be U-Turn targets, which is right where I'd want to be at this point in the race.

3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

It's always Lena (the younger sister) doing the throwing/stabbing, and Morgan (the older sister) being on the receiving end. This is perhaps subconscious revenge for Morgan doing things like making sure Lena knows what continent India is in.

I didn't have much sympathy for Morgan in this instance. She was hovering over Lena as she sewed. Either offer to take over the sewing (since Morgan's puppet was already finished) or let Lena get on with it. The puppets were small enough that unless you were working together on them in a thoughtful and deliberate way (like Joel and Garrett did), grabbing the one your partner was working on or learning in to supervise your partner's technique like that was bound to end in tears.

1 hour ago, dancingdreamer said:

I remember this too, though the one I remember wasn't anonymous. Basically, before the start of the leg, all the teams all stood a row and Phil went down the line asking each team to vote for another team to receive the U-Turn. The one with the most votes was the one who got U-Turned. I assume this is the same, except that it's anonymous, so they won't do it in front of each other and the team who is ultimately U-Turned may not know from the outset of the leg that they're the ones who "won" the vote.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, Hera said:

I remember this too, though the one I remember wasn't anonymous. Basically, before the start of the leg, all the teams all stood a row and Phil went down the line asking each team to vote for another team to receive the U-Turn. The one with the most votes was the one who got U-Turned. I assume this is the same, except that it's anonymous, so they won't do it in front of each other and the team who is ultimately U-Turned may not know from the outset of the leg that they're the ones who "won" the vote.

I don't remember that at all.  I remember double U-turns, where two teams got U-turned, and I remember once or twice when a team didn't know who was behind them and who was in front of them, and U-turned a team who was ahead of them.  Do you remember which season the voting U-turn was in?  

4 minutes ago, Hera said:

@Browncoat, according to Wikipedia, it was Season 31, Leg 8. I misremembered—there were actually two team U-Turned: the ones who received the most and the second most votes from the other teams.

Apparently I blocked that from my memory!  I know I watched that season!  I found a recap of that episode, and I remember the cows, but not much else.  I are old.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Hera said:

I didn't have much sympathy for Morgan in this instance. She was hovering over Lena as she sewed. Either offer to take over the sewing (since Morgan's puppet was already finished) or let Lena get on with it. The puppets were small enough that unless you were working together on them in a thoughtful and deliberate way (like Joel and Garrett did), grabbing the one your partner was working on or learning in to supervise your partner's technique like that was bound to end in tears.

Oh yes, Morgan was totally wrong to be leaning in like that. Their team set-up in the first episode was about Morgan learning to see Lena as an adult friend instead of a kid sister, and this episode showed that Morgan has a long way to go, what with the gratuitous geography quiz and sewing micro-managing.

Ironically, Lena's reaction to Morgan's near-impaling reminded me of a parent who yells at their child for running into the street or reaching for a hot stove - more upset at them almost getting hurt than actually angry. So Morgan attempting to oversee her little sister led the little sister to be more like the adult.

Still not as awkward as the Lulu/Lala sister relationship from a couple seasons ago, but an interesting dynamic.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

In my fantasy of how this will work--and we won't know until next week--the photo of the U-Turned team will be at the detour task, with photos of all the teams who voted for the U-Turned team displayed as well.

Nope. It's anonymous.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Hera said:

My favorite part was that Morgan claimed that she “was only trying to help” and got all upset that she was nearly stabbed in return.  How is placing your face near the needle helpful exactly?  I am glad she didn’t lose an eye there.  You really should be aware that nobody expects your face to be that close to the sewing and they are not going to be watching out for your safety.  Although I must say, it kind of looked like Lena did make an extra effort to throw her needle-holding hand waaaay out there during that particular stitch.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Really enjoyed this episode.  Challenges that were tough....but not ridiculously so.  I would have chosen the dolls simply because it sounded like it was within my skill set.

The dancing was simple choreography .... but balancing the bowls made it frustrating for so many of them.

• Like 3

A few things I noticed on rewatch:

There were marked taxis waiting for all teams when they got to India . . . but not at the airport. Which is strange. They flew in then had to go somewhere else (somehow) to find the taxis. There were also rickshaws waiting to take them to the Detour locations, and from there to the Pit Stop. Apparently the show wasn't confident in their ability to self-navigate or find transportation, but . . . even from the airport?

Rob might have done better at the Roadblock, his head is bigger. I also noticed Yeremi took his hair down, which I thought was odd because the manbun would have given him better balance. But that might be why they made him take it down.

Also, the music they were playing during that Roadblock sounded vaguely like the Marine Corps Hymn ("From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli . . ." )

The judge was also pretty lax about the arm movements, so long as they managed to keep the pots on their heads.

I'll say one thing for Anna Leigh, she is definitely carrying her team. Has Steve even done a Roadblock yet? That might be their undoing. He didn't even want to do the dolls. 

The judging was also pretty lax there. Some of the dolls didn't even reach the ground when they were supposed to be "dancing" like they showed in the example. Anna Leigh and Steve's were halfway up in the air.

I want to say the doll task was much quicker but I think if you have a keen eye for detail you could probably do the wall thing in about the same amount of time. There were only four puzzle pieces to find and match, and both John and Greg and Malaina and Andrea did the wall and managed to come in 2nd and 4th, respectively. I also don't think Corey was that far behind despite finishing the Roadblock last. By the time everyone else left he didn't have to wait to try again.

I thought Todd was a good sport about Joe and Ian grabbing that last station considering how heated the footrace to it was. It seems like a lot of people don't like him but so far he's been nothing but nice.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, calvinshobbes said:

if 4 teams vote for one team and 4 for another, is it possible for  two teams will do the double uturn?

Since there are 9 teams, if it is a 4-4 tie, the "9th" team would have to revote for one of the two teams in the tie (remember, they are doing all the voting before the start of the leg, so there would be time for that one team to vote again without affecting anything). Now, at some later point in this (or another season) if there is a tie (or even a 3-3-3 this time), I don't know what they would do. Make everyone revote? Have a double (or triple) U Turn?

Wow, there wasn't much time separating the first and last teams leaving the Pit Stop

John smashed that Roadblock! From arriving last to leaving second (IIRC). He and John seem to have bad taxi mojo, though, which will bite them if it continues.

Anna Leigh and Steve are a surprisingly strong team. The U-turn foreshadowing was strong with them.

What a close finish! A taxi driver's shortcut really was!

Edited by Souris
  • Like 3

I haven't watched The Amazing Race for several years, what a great season to come back to.  It has to be one of the best!  I have so many favourites at this point that I dread people getting eliminated.  There seems to be a real connection amongst some of the racers too!  Next week might be telling with the U turns.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

When they were all walking around those weird ledges to get their Detour clue, some team passed by a dog right on the edge of one and I was like "Careful Doggie!"

me as well. MIND THAT LEDGE i was screaming in my head, tho i think animals have better edge sense than we humans. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We once had a hedgehog that had absolutely no 'ledge sense' or maybe depth perception? It would walk right off a ledge like it though it could just keep on going, had to be very careful with it. 

4 hours ago, Hera said:

Basically, before the start of the leg, all the teams all stood a row and Phil went down the line asking each team to vote for another team to receive the U-Turn

I remember this,

Spoiler

I think the teams were Tyler & Korey, Colin & Christie, Rachel & Brendon and maybe the Afghanimals?

7 hours ago, eel2178 said:

I was just glad that those things weren't breakable. At the beginning, I was envisioning shards of broken pottery all over the place.

I had the same thought.

8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I feel like they've been to that MC Escher building before, and had a task there.

I told my daughter they looked like Escher stairs!

• Like 2