Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I wonder if they've already started paying him in order to spread out the damage to their budget.

I have read that payments don’t go out until 120 days after the final show airs.    That wouldn’t impact  the accounting treatment of his payout which would have to be accrued as won.   

(edited)

My guess is that he hasn't been paid yet, but he's already loaded, so he can afford to make big donations knowing that the extra $2 million and counting is on the way.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Alex Trebek  and Jimmy Carter will outlive us all!

(sure hope I didn't jinx anything by saying that)

I mean I hope he is okay and does improve more but I think that’s article is going for an overall optimistic spin. The key word in the headline is some of his tumors have decreased but he is still stage 4 which is a very tough diagnosis.

The Alex Trebek news as it relates to his recovery totally made a fairly good week that much better.  Was a little optimistic that it would trend that way, but not very optimistic at all

What a great interview!

Does anyone know of that meme with a guy in the middle, head turned towards a girl walking past with another girl in background who he was with looking miffed that he’s struck by new girl?  I’m the guy, Emma’s the new girl, James is who I was with previously. 😄

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, dcalley said:

Q&A with Emma from Monday night, Vulture.com

That's a great interview. Also don't want to totally re-hash the betting discussion, but as it was pointed out in the other thread, Emma's bet was basically the only thing that made sense in that situation, and it's interesting to hear how she almost bet nothing.

(edited)

So, this radio morning show guy is hanging out in O'Brien's pub to watch the NBA playoffs, and makes a stink when they turn the game off. The manager or whoever comes out and explains to him that it's the most famous Pub Trivia event in America and he's surrounded by Jeopardy winners. So radio guy makes a swift recovery and lands a good interview with Brad Rutter. 

The story (pretty funny) and interview are here: Brad interviews Brad

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Ken Jennings is appearing on a new game show hosted by Sherri Shepherd on the GSN at 4 EST. It’s called The Best Ever Trivia Show. 

I saw a pretty scathing review of the new show. I don't think I'll bother watching. I hate slow-paced game shows, that's why I was never a fan of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Abstract said:

I saw a pretty scathing review of the new show. I don't think I'll bother watching. I hate slow-paced game shows, that's why I was never a fan of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

I can see why a Jeopardy fan wouldn't like Millionaire. But I always liked both. Yeah, Millionaire could get tedious in the early questions, especially when a contestant would spend five minutes breaking down a question like "Which of these are you most likely to see at a zoo?" But as the questions got harder it gave each question a chance to breathe. Kind of like the difference between sipping a glass of wine and chugging a bottle.

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, I am not a patient person. I played Millionaire on the in-flight entertainment on vacation, and was annoyed because I had to wait for the "final answer?" and dramatic music and lights between questions.

Jeopardy: the beer chug-a-lug of game shows.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, I watched The Best Ever Trivia Show, but I don't think I'll watch a second episode.  The questions are all pretty easy (and they're multiple choice!  WTF?!), Ken Jennings and the other "trivia experts" (none of whom you've ever heard of) have almost nothing to do but sit there and toss off weak one-liners, and there's an awful lot of filler.  And if you thought Alex Trebek's contestant interviews were awkward, these are equally embarrassing, but seem to go on about 5 times as long...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I wonder what Jennings' reaction was when he saw how the show turned out. He's a snarky guy (not to mention smart, duh) and one would think he would notice these things. Could the money really be that good for a GSN show? I didn't have him pegged for a guy who just really really wants to be on TV, but maybe I'm wrong.

(edited)

Netflix is swapping out Jeopardy episodes on June 28. So if you haven't already rewatched the 2011 ToC that's on there now (with Roger Craig's famous back-to-back True Daily Doubles), better do it quick!

I would most hope for Netflix to have BoD on, but since they've already had that one before apparently (I missed it like a dolt), it's not likely. And All Stars is probably too new. My guess is that we'll get one of the newer ToC, and probably the specialty tournaments.

Edited by Abstract
  • Useful 2

I somehow got knocked off the Jeopardy email list. Can anyone here confirm what I've read elsewhere, that an email was sent out with the schedule of reruns between seasons?

Apparently the All Stars tournament is supposed to rerun beginning August 26. I have fixed my DVR timer accordingly and set it to record an unlimited number of episodes, including reruns. I will not lose this tournament again!

35 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ah! An advantage to vacationing in late summer. I don't have to look up where J! is airing in each of the towns I visit! I don't care about re-runs. What's on the week of 08/19?

Rerun of teacher tournament.

• Useful 1

Netflix has added a package of every season premiere from the first 32 seasons; however - and awesomely - the “season 1 premiere” is actually a pilot, with a few differences in look and feel even from what aired when the show started ... including dollar values starting at $50. 

• Useful 2