Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

On a hopeful note, former Senator Harry Reid also has pancreatic cancer (don't know if it was stage 4).  I saw him interviewed on our local news the other day and he said he was feeling well and the cancer appeared to be in remission.  He looked good.  So maybe the treatments will help Alex live longer.  We can hope.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

So today I had to promise a coworker that I will never, ever again say that I hoped someone would retire.  The universe heard me and took it the wrong way.

Damn, this is terrible news.  I wish the best possible outcome for Alex, and hope he spends as much time as possible with his family and friends while doing what he loves.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, rubaco said:

OMG, so scary. If you're not aware of the statistics for this one... well, you don't want to know.

Yeah, it's an ugly-ass disease.  One of the worst.

18 hours ago, mojoween said:

He said he just found out this week so I’m assuming it’s not related to his brain surgery?

Probably not.  Pancreatic cancer that's spread usually goes to the liver and other nearby organs, as well as lymph nodes.  But's it's not impossible.

18 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

The prognosis is not good at all for stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Ruth Bader Ginsburg survived pancreatic cancer but I think hers was discovered much earlier than stage 4. Steve Jobs had a rare form of pancreatic cancer and lived for several years with it. But Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze (just two examples) both had theirs discovered at stage 4, I believe.

Steve Jobs would still be alive and probably would be for many years if he'd had the liver transplant his doctors recommended instead of pursuing "alternative medical" treatments.  Which is a damned shame.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Just heard this on my local news. Interestingly, I work with one magazine editor who is in his late 70s and has survived prostate cancer. He emailed me last week telling me about a friend of his who is in his 80s, smart as a whip, and a pancreatic cancer survivor. Both men were treated/had surgeries at Mayo.

So ... there is some hope. And I'm positive Mr. Trebek has access to the very best care to be found anywhere in the world.

It's true that Alex has access to the best care, and there has been some promising results from clinical trials.  Generally, though, the people who beat pancreatic cancer are the ones whose cancer was discovered early, like RBG.  It absolutely sucks that there's no way to screen for pancreatic cancer the way there is for other cancers, like colon or breast cancers, for example.  Early diagnosis would save lives.

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I read Stage 4 means it's moved to other body parts. Is it possible that's what the brain thing was? Couldn't they have discovered it then? <sigh> What good would it have done to have discovered it a few months earlier?  This is too sad.

Pancreatic cancer is very aggressive, so it's possible that even a few months could make a difference.  It's possible, but not likely, that the brain issue had anything to do with the cancer.  It usually spreads to nearby organs and lymph nodes.

43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

So today I had to promise a coworker that I will never, ever again say that I hoped someone would retire.  The universe heard me and took it the wrong way.

Damn, this is terrible news.  I wish the best possible outcome for Alex, and hope he spends as much time as possible with his family and friends while doing what he loves.

While watching the final game of the All-Star Tournament I was thinking that Alex looked like he was still enjoying himself, and that I hoped he enjoyed a nice retirement with family & friends. Seems that the universe misunderstood me too. 

42 minutes ago, 17wheatthins said:

I know it is silly but I am really praying he comes through this and is in remission for the three next years of his contract and beyond. 

I don't think it's silly, but if it is I'm silly too. 

• Love 2
(edited)
18 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

How can we not have a screening test for this disease?!!?  As amazing as medicine and science can be, there are still so many things we don't know and can't cure.

Pancreatic cancer is relatively rare and not particularly well known, so it doesn't get a lot of research money.

Edited by proserpina65

Pancreatic cancer is relatively rare and not particularly well known, so it doesn't get a lot of research money.

And it's SO deadly, which makes it all the more sad that it doesn't get the same level of attention. My beloved grandpa (who taught me the joy of trivia during long road trips) died of it three months after being diagnosed. It was awful, and I hate that Alex and his family are about to go through it.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s crazy that Alex has been in my life since I was ten years old - my parents watched Wheel and Jeopardy! faithfully every night.  I know it’s selfish but I can’t think of him ever NOT being in my life.

And honestly that’s one of my favorite episodes of “Beverly Hills 90210.”  I think of Andrea any time someone mentions Thomas Jefferson.

Fuuuuuuuuck cancer.

Yep- Alex has been a part of my life since I can remember watching TV. My own dad would watch the news with dinner and then follow that with Jeopardy. I do the same with my own kids (my kids are young enough that dinner is well over by the time Jeopardy airs here) but they know Jeopardy time is after dinner and my oldest (9) sits and tries his best to give some correct answers (he'll surprise himself every now and then). 

I was sickened when I heard the news! 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I know it is silly but I am really praying he comes through this and is in remission for the three next years of his contract and beyond. 

There is absolutely nothing "silly" about any part of your post. I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. While I find him irritating in many ways, I've never wanted him to leave this show or ever be replaced, much less for him to be "forced" to leave.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It absolutely sucks that there's no way to screen for pancreatic cancer the way there is for other cancers, like colon or breast cancers, for example.  Early diagnosis would save lives.

That's so true, and that's the problem ... this cancer cannot be detected until it has spread to other organs. Hopefully, surgery and/or chemo (or whatever would be used) can put him into remission. It HAS happened. The key is to stay positive, the patient and those around him or her.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Is it possible that's what the brain thing was?

If you remember the category (paraphrasing) "Alex's Medical Conditions" from a while back, his brain surgery was for a subdural hematoma, which is described as: "a collection of blood outside the brain usually caused by severe head injuries. The bleeding and increased pressure on the brain from a subdural hematoma can be life-threatening." It had nothing to do with cancer. They even showed a picture as part of the clue.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1

All the radio shows I listen to talked about Alex yesterday and so far today, as have all the newscasts I've seen so far today. This is indicative of how well liked he is. Famous and popular, a rare combination.

All day yesterday and so far today Alex has been on my tv every few minutes hawking Colonial Penn Life Insurance. It's a major sponsor on the oldies tv-show channels I "watch" while I work. ("It's the Three Ps!")

• Love 5

I can't stop thinking about this. Hard to believe I am so sad about a man I have never met, but he is an institution!  My newborn daughter used to calm down when she heard the Final Jeopardy music because she had heard it every night while I was pregnant with her.

Does anyone else remember Alex on Rugrats?  He played a game show host named Alex Quebec.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

My grandfather died for patratic cancer. He was diagnosed in November after going to the doctor for minor stomach pains. He otherwise felt healthy. And was gone by the following January.  It's a horrible disease and I wish there was more research on a cure or even a test for it.

Anyhow, my hopes are for Alex and his family that he is one of the few that survive it.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If you remember the category (paraphrasing) "Alex's Medical Conditions" from a while back

This reminds me, there was an "Alex's Bucket List" category this season, too. J! writers' eerie prescience again.

• Love 1

It warms my heart that everyone here is as upset about Alex Trebek's medical news as I am.

But would you like to do something about it?  Anneke Garcia, the four-day champion that I beat (the day I lost to John Pressloid, another four-day champ  😏 ) has decided to raise money to fight this disease. As a Jeopardy champion, she's doing it by asking folks to donate some amount of money for every question she gets right during the March 18 episode of Jeopardy, and she's doing it on Facebook Live.

I'm donating, and I hope y'all will consider doing so as well. Here's the details:

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I'm donating, and I hope y'all will consider doing so as well.

Thanks @j5cochran for posting that. I will def do that challenge, although I will have to toss in some extra cash to make up for my lack of brain cells lately, unless they make the board extra easy that day. Donating based on what I get correct would be embarrassing!

I don't want to see this show hosted by anyone other than Trebek. End of story.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks @j5cochran for posting that. I will def do that challenge, although I will have to toss in some extra cash to make up for my lack of brain cells lately, unless they make the board extra easy that day. Donating based on what I get correct would be embarrassing!

I don't want to see this show hosted by anyone other than Trebek. End of story.

Sounds like you donate $x for each answer *she* gets right. 

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, Mountainair said:

Yep- Alex has been a part of my life since I can remember watching TV. My own dad would watch the news with dinner and then follow that with Jeopardy. I do the same with my own kids (my kids are young enough that dinner is well over by the time Jeopardy airs here) but they know Jeopardy time is after dinner and my oldest (9) sits and tries his best to give some correct answers (he'll surprise himself every now and then). 

I was sickened when I heard the news! 

Same here. Grew up watching him, he's like family. Watched it to learn, and stayed due to his good humor and attitude.

• Love 3

Ken Jennings writing about Alex in the New York Times.

Snippet:

Alex Trebek fascinates America, but we don’t quite get him. He’s a game show host, but he’s not hearty or ingratiating. He’s a comedy signifier, most famously lampooned by Will Ferrell on “Saturday Night Live” for many years, but he also seems to be in on the joke.

• Love 2

I've already thought ahead to what's going to be really sad and hard to watch.  That will be when Alex has his last show and it's time for him to sign off ..... for the last time.

What will he say?  Will he be emotional or matter-of-fact?  I can't even imagine how it will go, and don't want to think about it.

Much respect, Mr. Trebek.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I've already thought ahead to what's going to be really sad and hard to watch.  That will be when Alex has his last show and it's time for him to sign off ..... for the last time.

What will he say?  Will he be emotional or matter-of-fact?  I can't even imagine how it will go, and don't want to think about it.

I imagine he will be emotional, grateful for his tenure on the show and to all of its fans, and I wouldn't be surprised if he threw in some of his patented humor that we all know & love/love to hate/groan at/roll eyes at.  

I'm going to be a Toothbrush puddle on that day.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Not to be morbid, but I hope he gets a chance to have a "I know this is my last episode" moment.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, opus said:

Not to be morbid, but I hope he gets a chance to have a "I know this is my last episode" moment.

I've thought the same & hope that when the time comes for him to step down it is his decision as much as it can be. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

Alex resumed taping today.  

Good for you, Alex.

It has to be a bit awkward, with everyone - on that stage and in the viewing audience - knowing his diagnosis and how poor the prognosis for stage four pancreatic cancer is, so, seriously, good for him that he's going to keep on keepin' on as long as he can, despite the public death watch that will inevitably ensue.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Anyone else been seeing the promos? Along the lines of "the next big champion is coming in April?" Anyone know more?

I saw an "Are You the Next Champ?" spot announcing the online tests coming up this month, so you probably saw something about that.

8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Anyone else been seeing the promos? Along the lines of "the next big champion is coming in April?" Anyone know more?

I've seen this promo in my market (which is the Philly area). 

Spoiler

My guess is that we were just introduced to that person today (April 4), but that is only a guess.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I saw an "Are You the Next Champ?" spot announcing the online tests coming up this month, so you probably saw something about that.

Maybe... It seemed more specific than that. I'll have to try to pay better attention the to the commercials in wheel of fortune.

29 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've seen it too, and until he lost to Alex yesterday, thought it might be Steven.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Anyone else been seeing the promos? Along the lines of "the next big champion is coming in April?" 

I've seen them (South Jersey, in da house!).

Spoiler

I'm also afraid it's the guy we met tonight. I pretty much instantly disliked him.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I've seen this promo in my market (which is the Philly area). 

Reveal spoiler

My guess is that we were just introduced to that person today (April 4), but that is only a guess.

Yep, after seeing today's game, that seems like a good possibility.

I don't think I need to spoiler-tag that; it's purely speculation.

• Love 1

Oh, I've seen that promo, or more accurately, heard it: "Is it too soon to be making comparisons to Ken Jennings." I thought that was a stupid thing to say since someone would have to win 50-60 games to get me thinking that way.

I took it as any one of us could be The Next Big Thing since they are promo-ing the online tests to get a field of new players. I don't think it has anything to do with the guy who won today. Ya'll are too quick to jump to conclusions.

Of course, if I am wrong and you are all correct, feel free to laugh.

For all we know, Trebek was talking about our @teebax. I'm waiting patiently to hear how her trip went, and when we can watch her win the Teachers Tournament. *knockwood* *spin around three times and spit*

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

For all we know, Trebek was talking about our @teebax. I'm waiting patiently to hear how her trip went, and when we can watch her win the Teachers Tournament. *knockwood* *spin around three times and spit*

"You want to tempt the wrath of whatever from high atop the thing?"

"No."

"Then go outside, turn around three times, and spit. What the hell is the matter with you?"

I love the West Wing!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, I've seen that promo, or more accurately, heard it: "Is it too soon to be making comparisons to Ken Jennings." I thought that was a stupid thing to say since someone would have to win 50-60 games to get me thinking that way.

I took it as any one of us could be The Next Big Thing since they are promo-ing the online tests to get a field of new players. I don't think it has anything to do with the guy who won today. Ya'll are too quick to jump to conclusions.

Of course, if I am wrong and you are all correct, feel free to laugh.

You may recall that they did the same thing just before Austin Rogers appeared on the show, teasing that a "great new champion" was coming along soon, so be sure to tune in every day. So this is not a new PR strategy for them.

Yep, I'm anxious to hear from @teebax too! We don't need any game details, of course, but just a general check-in, plus hopefully Alex appeared to be doing OK. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

"Is it too soon to be making comparisons to Ken Jennings."

I think that is not a "current Alex quote" (that is, something they've taken from an upcoming episode). I'm pretty sure I heard him say that before, about someone else. I think they just took that sound bite (from before) to try to make it seem as if it's about an upcoming "super champ". I also agree with a previous poster that I think it's just trying to push the online tests ("The next great J! champ awaits. Will it be you?" type of thing)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rubaco said:

You may recall that they did the same thing just before Austin Rogers appeared on the show, teasing that a "great new champion" was coming along soon, so be sure to tune in every day. So this is not a new PR strategy for them.

Austin. Ugh. They are still pimping him, even after he tanked on All Stars. Well, not exactly "tanked," but he definitely was not The Smartest Person In The Room during that tourney.

If they are pushing James, at least I'm okay with him. Unless he starts miming and/or dancing during his intro.

I'm still hoping they are talking about @teebax. We miss you, girl!

• Love 1