Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Driad said:

The All-Star games start this Wednesday, February 20.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2019/all-star-games

Boo, hiss.

ETA: I just looked at the brackets/schedule, and I'm confused.  What is going to be the format if Game 1 is stretched out over two days (Single Jeopardy on Feb 20, and Double/Final Jeopardy on Feb 21, with all of Game 2 on Feb 22).

Okay, I get it, sort of, after Alex's explanation tonight.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Okay, I get it, sort of, after Alex's explanation tonight.

I didn't hear this, I tuned in late. Help me out, please?

No wait, I don't mean help me OUT, like out the door. Just: What did AT say about how the Tournament will be played?

I'm looking forward to my team rocking it, and me winning a Lindblad trip. Maybe to ... Antarctica? Yeay!

Edited by saber5055
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't hear this, I tuned in late. Help me out, please?

Sorry for the delay -- it's something about playing in teams instead of as individuals, I think?  It still doesn't make complete sense to me, but I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow.  And after we find out, I may just have to skip ahead to FJ for the duration.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

it's something about playing in teams instead of as individuals,

Suppose it's gonna be something like College Quiz Bowl? That would be fun. I hope you got your Fantasy Team picked so you can get another Lindblad cruise ... a free one! when you win.

It will be interesting to see if we think the difficulty level goes up.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

It will be interesting to see if we think the difficulty level goes up.

That’s my fear. I’m 2/2 this week. I expect to go 0/the rest of February 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, opus said:

That’s my fear. I’m 2/2 this week. I expect to go 0/the rest of February 

I was 0/5 two weeks ago when other posters declared the week to be Toddler Level. I'm 2/2 this week but typically tank after Tuesday when the weekend wears off.

The show was a little delayed in sending out our plane tickets for the Teachers Tournament. They mentioned they thought they might have to delay it but all is well now and it was something that "couldn't be helped." I'm assuming this is what was going on. I'm hoping Alex gets the treatment he needs to beat this.

• Love 7

Fuck cancer. As much as I enjoy ragging on Trebek, this is really upsetting. The guy's in my living room 5 nights a week, and has been for years.

• Love 21

On the heels of Luke Perry passing away I don’t know how much more celebrity sadness I’ll be able to take.

This is such tough news but I’ll take a cue from Alex and look at this with his good spirits.   And like he said, his contract is three years!

He said he just found out this week so I’m assuming it’s not related to his brain surgery?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I hate to "like" this post because it makes it seem like I'm "liking" the news. I'm devastated.

You can react 'sad' as well. Hover your mouse over the grey heart in the bottom right corner of the post and various options will appear.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I hate to "like" this post because it makes it seem like I'm "liking" the news. I'm devastated.

As an aside you can now do a sad emoticon instead of a heart/like.

The prognosis is not good at all for stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Ruth Bader Ginsburg survived pancreatic cancer but I think hers was discovered much earlier than stage 4. Steve Jobs had a rare form of pancreatic cancer and lived for several years with it. But Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze (just two examples) both had theirs discovered at stage 4, I believe.

You hear cancer all the time and you think CANCER. I needed to goggle cancer stage 4 to truly understand and it’s not a good answer. I’m hoping he can pull though this. He was just on Kelly & Ryan a few weeks ago and they were asking how he stays in such great shape and such. I’m assuming he knew then but never let on. He has a good attitude and maybe that can help him fight this awful disease. 

20 minutes ago, secnarf said:

You can react 'sad' as well. Hover your mouse over the grey heart in the bottom right corner of the post and various options will appear.

That's what I ended up doing. The vast majority of reactions I see are the "Heart" symbol so I figured that was the only option. I hovered over the other options for the first time ever and saw that one. Thanks, though!

I'm so sad. I had to close my office door & have a little cry. Now I'm waiting for everyone to leave the office so I don't get caught with red eyes.

Yesterday I was thinking that in a few years Alex would be retired & enjoying time with his family, traveling, etc. I hope he can somehow pull through this, but in the meantime FUCK CANCER!!!!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

He was just on Kelly & Ryan a few weeks ago and they were asking how he stays in such great shape and such. I’m assuming he knew then but never let on. 

In his video, he said he just got the diagnosis this week. That's why it's so remarkable how composed he is, not to mention cracking a joke at the end. 

• Love 2

Just heard this on my local news. Interestingly, I work with one magazine editor who is in his late 70s and has survived prostate cancer. He emailed me last week telling me about a friend of his who is in his 80s, smart as a whip, and a pancreatic cancer survivor. Both men were treated/had surgeries at Mayo.

So ... there is some hope. And I'm positive Mr. Trebek has access to the very best care to be found anywhere in the world.

• Love 10
(edited)

I am so sorry to hear this.

My husband beat lung cancer which also has a low survival rate, but it was caught early.

All my best to Alex.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
(edited)

Top stories as ABC World News Tonight just came on the air: Alex Trebek and R Kelly. Slow news day, I guess, when they lead with celebrities.

I don't know. I just took out my garbage and realized I was crying when I got to the curb.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
typo
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Top stories as ABC World News Tonight just came on the air: Alex Trebek and R Kelly.

We watch the same newscast! I heard the R.Kelly interview on Chicago radio yesterday along with an in-depth dissection of it. Then, surprisingly, the Trebek announcement, the subject of which I already knew, made me cry.

I follow WaPo reporter Dan Zak on Twitter. He has reposted a link to an interview he did with Trebek in 2012 when he was in D.C. to tape a Jeopardy series. It's worth a read.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

We watch the same newscast! I heard the R.Kelly interview on Chicago radio yesterday along with an in-depth dissection of it. Then, surprisingly, the Trebek announcement, the subject of which I already knew, made me cry.

I follow WaPo reporter Dan Zak on Twitter. He has reposted a link to an interview he did with Trebek in 2012 when he was in D.C. to tape a Jeopardy series. It's worth a read.

Thanks for the link! I don't really watch ABC News. It's usually on because Wheel of Fortune follows it and dinner prep time means it's usually just background noise. I did turn it on specifically so see if AT was the top story.

4 hours ago, Roaster said:

Alex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

http://www.kltv.com/2019/03/06/alex-trebek-announces-he-has-stage-pancreatic-cancer/

Youtube announcement:

I missed the show at 7 tonight and was looking forward to catching up on YouTube. Then I clicked on the above video and heard the news. It's great that he has a positive attitude, but I remember how positive Patrick Swayze and Michael Landon were also. John Hurt as well. I really hope Alex can beat the odds.

• Love 1

This is just so sad.  His attitude is admirable for sure.

1 hour ago, forumfish said:

Selfishly, I want him to keep taping the show as long as he is able, but I really hope he retires and spends the time with his family.

I did some checking, and they only tape 2 days a week, 3 weeks a month.  Each day's taping is a full week of shows.  So he still has lots of downtime.  I think they tape around 3 months in advance, so they are probably doing June episodes now.  So finishing this season may be possible.

• Love 3

I go in and out of Jeopardy but I've always had so much respect for Alex Trebek, one of our best ever game show hosts and television personalities. I always thought he looked very healthy and young for his age. I know that with cancer diagnoses that doesn't mean anything but I'm still shocked. And heartbroken. I feel like I know him, seeing him on my TV all my life. 

My heart goes out to him and his family. 

Such painful news.  Like others, I have total respect for Mr. Trebek.  I really liked Alex's work outside of Jeopardy, as he was a solid member of the Goodson-Todman era before (and a bit after) becoming the Jeopardy host.  I hope he's able to keep doing what he does but as mentioned, he deserves the proper send-off and retirement to be able to spend time with his family.  Moreover, missing him on Jeopardy pales in comparison to one's life, so I'm wishing for a speedy recovery; take care.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

This is just so sad.  His attitude is admirable for sure.

I did some checking, and they only tape 2 days a week, 3 weeks a month.  Each day's taping is a full week of shows.  So he still has lots of downtime.  I think they tape around 3 months in advance, so they are probably doing June episodes now.  So finishing this season may be possible.

On another Jeopardy site I read, someone said the current season wraps taping in mid April, so my guess is he will be able to finish. Although, I suppose if they really aggressively go after this immediately, it could affect his ability to do the show. In which case I’d guess they’ll just cut the season short a couple of weeks.

• Love 1

Awful disease that hit my family hard.  My Mom died 3 1/2 weeks after being diagnosed.    Her sister lived about 2 1/2 years and my brother in law lived 2 years and he was Stage 3.  No words how sad I feel for Alex.

I read Stage 4 means it's moved to other body parts. Is it possible that's what the brain thing was? Couldn't they have discovered it then? <sigh> What good would it have done to have discovered it a few months earlier?  This is too sad.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I read Stage 4 means it's moved to other body parts. Is it possible that's what the brain thing was? Couldn't they have discovered it then? <sigh> What good would it have done to have discovered it a few months earlier?  This is too sad.

Didn't he have a subdural hematoma as a result of a fall? I don't think it was in any way related, and brain surgery doesn't mean they will find a problem that exists elsewhere. I don't think the brain is a common site for metastasis for pancreatic cancer - not to say it couldn't happen, but I think other places in the abdomen/thoracic cavity are more common (e.g. liver, lungs, etc).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

It’s crazy that Alex has been in my life since I was ten years old - my parents watched Wheel and Jeopardy! faithfully every night.  I know it’s selfish but I can’t think of him ever NOT being in my life.

And honestly that’s one of my favorite episodes of “Beverly Hills 90210.”  I think of Andrea any time someone mentions Thomas Jefferson.

Fuuuuuuuuck cancer.

• Love 4

Read about this during dinner at work last night and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Although Alex's proclivities sometimes get on my nerves, I never miss J! and the whole show experience just wouldn't be the same without him. Devastating news.

Sending good vibes and strength out CA way. Fight on, Alex. 

• Love 4