Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

30 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Live and learn! I had no idea what the hidden meaning of these numbers was until I googled them!

Sometimes it's nice to lead a more secluded life!

ETA: Looks like it's okay to bet $8,645 though.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I didn't know about 14/88 either!

I had never heard the "meaning" of those numbers either, which, IMO, means I deserve a Good For You. Now, however, they will creep me out.

Edited by saber5055

Not quite media about Jeopardy (and it has been mentioned before), but Buzzr is showing the "Gamechangers" special (AT talking about game shows/to old hosts) on May 11. I don't think it's a new one/version, just a repeat of the one that originally aired a couple of years ago.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, illdoc said:

An article in the Chicago Tribune (Apr 26) on "What it's like to lose to James":  https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-wp-jeopardy-champion-james-holzhauer-20190426-story.html

It's just a republishing of last week's Washington Post article that was posted upthread (but I didn't get any "you've read 1 of X free articles this month" pop-up, so the Trib may give unlimited access to its website; just in case there is a limit, though, FYI - it's a repeat).

Okay, I retract my comment that the NY Times article is the best. I now declare The Onion the winner. I laughed my butt off (hard to sit now), it's hilarious. And scary to know James is such a bad ass! Thanks for that link @M. Darcy, it's gold, pure gold.

• Love 2
(edited)

Probably doesn't provide much new insight on James, but the local affiliate TV station interviewed me today about James and the Jeopardy! experience.  I guess I'm the closest thing they could find to a Jeopardy! expert. ☺️

Could have done without the establishing shot of me at my desk, which makes clear just how pudgy I am.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11

Great interview, @MrAtoz, although I object to the very oh-so-casual mention of you being a three-time winner, like it's NO BIG DEAL and anyone can do that, yawn. Even the slim margin of people who are good enough to make it on the show don't win one game, or if they do win one game they don't win a second. Also, how irritating that Ball State students don't know you were on the show. What, they don't watch Jeopardy? ACK!

Otherwise, nicely done. LOL!

• Love 3

Thanks for posting that @junemeatcleaver. I very much like when he said that while most people get recognized for being a nice person after they are dead, he is lucky to be given positive feedback while he is still alive.

More live people need to be told they matter and are important.

• Love 11

Wonderful interview. Alex was open, honest, funny, and full of grace. I was so happy to see that he looks really great, and it was fun to see him so excited about James. 

My mom & sister are both cancer survivors, and they also experienced the sudden deep sadness & depression that he spoke about. It was funny when he called himself a wuss.

As much as we rag on him for various things, I have always liked him & I hope he has as many healthy, happy years ahead of him as possible. 

Thank you for posting this @junemeatcleaver (great name)

• Love 9

I thought Alex looked different in the GMA interview, then figured it out that we (I) always see him face on during Jeopardy, he seldom turns his head. In the Robin interview, he was three-quarters to the camera. I also thought he was wearing glasses at the end of Jeopardy today ... maybe he wears reading glasses? I hadn't noticed before.

David Muir's ABC national news is rerunning part of the interview just now.

Someone noted way back in the Season thread that Trebek looked like he had lost weight, this after his announcement of cancer. Interesting in this interview he said he had not. And yes, I rank on him often but can't imagine Jeopardy without him. I don't want him to ever leave, for any reason.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Probably doesn't provide much new insight on James, but the local affiliate TV station interviewed me today about James and the Jeopardy! experience.  I guess I'm the closest thing they could find to a Jeopardy! expert. ☺️

Could have done without the establishing shot of me at my desk, which makes clear just how pudgy I am.

I saw you & said "Hey, I "know" him! 🙂  I feel like I know the folks on this board...always fun to share your experiences

• Love 3
11 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Here's Alex's appearance on GMA.  He talked about his health and the depression that has come with cancer and a little about James:

I really understand about the depression.  I've got cancer, too, though mine is endometrial.  The day I was diagnosed, I went to bed and cried for 24 hours. I realized that I now knew how I was going to die.  Not when, but how.

That was six years ago.  I still get the blues from time to time, but I've learned that you have to live. Just live, day to day, for how ever many days you have left.  Ya know, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow!

• Love 16
(edited)

'Jeopardy!' champ eyeing MLB GM position?

Holzhauer, a lifelong Cubs fan, considered front-office job a dream early in life

As a kid growing up outside of Chicago, James Holzhauer came home from school, turned on the TV and indulged in his two great loves: Cubs baseball games and "Jeopardy!" episodes, both of which aired in the afternoon.

“My dad would come home from work and turn the TV off,” Holzhauer said, smiling at the memory. “But I had already had my fun.”

Most kids are asked at least once in their childhood that standard question: “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Holzhauer had two items on his list: be a contestant on "Jeopardy!" and work in a Major League Baseball front office.

Needless to say, one-half of that to-do list has been checked off. Could the second be lurking around the corner?

The 34-year-old Holzhauer, as of Wednesday, has won 20 days in a row, with his winnings reaching $1,528,012. With one more win, he'll be the only contestant other than Ken Jennings to reach more than 20 wins.

Until recently, Holzhauer’s story wasn’t really a baseball one. That changed when he responded to a Washington Post op-ed questioning unconventional methods he’s using to crush his opponents. He tweeted, “I always dreamed of working in an MLB front office and ruining baseball, but I have to settle for ruining @Jeopardy instead.”

With a steady income, comfortable lifestyle and schedule that allows him to be an engaged parent to his young daughter, Holzhauer is not feeling overly motivated to pursue a career change, even if it involves working for a Major League team.

But that doesn’t mean it’s off the table completely.

“I’ve got a family and job that I really love with super flexibility,” he said. “I wonder, even if they come knocking, if I would actually accept. But part of me does wonder what it would be like to realize that childhood dream. I would have to at least think about it if the right offer came along.”

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

@Moose135, after James' brother Ian was interviewed on Chicago WGN radio and said James was a Die Hard Cub's fan who knew all the stats, it was tossed out that the sports guys at the station, all of whom have connections with the club, should inquire about getting James a job with the Cubs. That was met with a resounding NO WAY. (WGN used to carry all the Cubs games.) Maybe that might change down the road, but there didn't seem to be an "opportunity" for him at this time anyway.

I think this site needs a "HUG" emoji. If it did, I would give one to you, @j5cochran.

• Love 2

I haven't seen this article here yet, from The Atlantic. It talks about how if and why the show would try to get rid of James and might answer some questions PTV posters have had on that topic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

James gets key to the city

James posted the article on his FB page with the comment that he would have lost money betting against this ever happening. 

If you're on FB or Twitter, he's worth following. There's also a guy named Bomani Jones on Twitter who usually talks sports, but is hilarious when he talks Jeopardy. He doesn't even refer to James by name, just calls him cyborg.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Nice article thanks for linking @saber5055

The Holzhauer & Toothbrush families have similar charitable organizations that we donate to. Besides the food bank, we donate to our city's natural history & science museum and Ronald McDonald house. 

• Love 2

Nice article. This made me laugh right off:

Who are Cher, Wayne Newton and Celine Dion?

Aside from being three people who have never been in James Holzhauer’s kitchen...

I also had to google bamboo shark. The article said it was in the Las Vegas Natural History Museum, which is a little weird because the shark isn't native to Vegas (duh) but can be found at the Shark Reef attraction at Mandalay Bay. 🙄

• Love 1

Alex was at Harvard last Thurs. doing a spoof of Jeopardy for the Harvard Lampoon. Two of the caregories were;Jeopardy throughout the years, and Waking up with Alex Trebek.

Without giving away too much personal stuff, a very close relative attends Harvard and said he looks well, has good color and seems very fit. That was nice to hear.

I hope he beats this terrible disease. Jeopardy would never be the same for me without him.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, opus said:

First James has to lose,  and then make it happen. Million dollar 3 day tournament. Winner gets pride and a trophy. Cancer research gets the million.

@opus you're a genius. All the talk I've heard about how these guys need to play each other, and you're the first person I've ever heard suggest giving the money to cancer research. Do you have Twitter? You should post the suggestion there.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Abstract said:

@opus you're a genius. All the talk I've heard about how these guys need to play each other, and you're the first person I've ever heard suggest giving the money to cancer research. Do you have Twitter? You should post the suggestion there.

I do, technically, but I never use it.

Alex just won Daytime Emmy for game show host (umm, if you get Jeopardy at night, just go with it 😀)

445736A4-4E0C-450E-835C-7BBA2EF548C3.jpeg

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Not enough sexual innuendo on Jeopardy. Trebek needs to step that up to win next year.

Wait’ll you see tomorrow’s categories!!

You’ll love the way Alex pronounces Ménage à trois

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, opus said:

Alex just won Daytime Emmy for game show host.....

Good for him!

50 minutes ago, opus said:

Jeopardy lost outstanding game show to Family Feud 

Ugh!

• Love 1