Type keyword(s) to search

S49.E02: Bad Bunny

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, grommit2 said:

Oh no.
It has finally happened.
I have no idea who "Bad Bunny" is.
"What a drag it is getting old..."

I feel even older. I didn't know who Bad Bunny was when he was the musical guest with Regé-Jean Page (whom I did not know either) a couple of years ago.

• Like 3
On 10/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I feel even older. I didn't know who Bad Bunny was when he was the musical guest with Regé-Jean Page (whom I did not know either) a couple of years ago.

Same here...what I wouldn't give to have the Cars, Blondie or Elvis Costello on SNL again.

I am familiar with BB but could not hum a tune of his if my life depended on it...that said, when I visit my daughter in Miami we often use Uber and very often the driver is a Spanish speaking native (daughter has become fluent in Spanish living there and converses with the drivers) and very often Bad Bunny is playing in every Uber I have been in and I think I like his music.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 10/19/2023 at 12:04 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

Same here...what I wouldn't give to have the Cars, Blondie or Elvis Costello on SNL again.

I am familiar with BB but could not hum a tune of his if my life depended on it...that said, when I visit my daughter in Miami we often use Uber and very often the driver is a Spanish speaking native (daughter has become fluent in Spanish living there and converses with the drivers) and very often Bad Bunny is playing in every Uber I have been in and I think I like his music.

There is no tune.

I thought the first two sketches were really funny. The cold open was not, and the Please Don't Destroy sketch was plain bad. Tedious. Remind me why these guys were plucked out of all the comedy groups in NYC and elsewhere?

Who was playing Miguel in the Christopher Columbus sketch?

On 10/19/2023 at 11:04 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Then all the viewers under 35 would be all “Who the hell are these people?!” LOL

But hey, next show is Foo Fighters, so one for the older folks! (They should’ve also doubled as host/musical guest!)

• Like 9

I don’t know if there are any Vanderpump Rules fans in this thread but the skit with the guy bringing home his girlfriend so reminded me of Raquel (Rachel) in a dinner scenario!  🤣. Also, Pedro Pascal is becoming my favorite SNL guest!  He needs to host again!  

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Marigold66 said:

I don’t know if there are any Vanderpump Rules fans in this thread but the skit with the guy bringing home his girlfriend so reminded me of Raquel (Rachel) in a dinner scenario!  🤣. Also, Pedro Pascal is becoming my favorite SNL guest!  He needs to host again!  

He'll definitely get in the many-timers club, I think.

Was anyone besides me more interested in the Devon-JAJ scene than what was going on in the subway behind them? Both guys did a great job.

Goes without saying: WU very funny as it always is with Che and Jost.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Marigold66 said:

Also, Pedro Pascal is becoming my favorite SNL guest!  He needs to host again!  

He should’ve hosted THIS time and Bad Bunny should’ve been the musical guest making cameos in sketches.

That Mick Jagger appearance sure was surprising.

• Like 13

Cold Open: Jim Jordan sketch! Man, he sucks, and he's on a loooooong list of Republicans that suck. Like George Santos. And Lauren Boebert. And Trump. JAJ really is the best part of these sketches.

Monologue: "I've never seen or heard of Bad Bunny." "He was the musical guest on the Regé-Jean Page episode." "...still doesn't ring a bell." He was charming, though. I see this being a banner week for Marcello. Bringing in Pedro Pascal was the right call.

Fuego: Mikey as Eminem is something they've been saving for a while, haven't they? It was okay, and then it just...ended.

The Age of Discovery: Surprise Fred Armisen! And the llama is actually in a sketch and not hanging out back stage! [A horse, but worse!] was the best of the sketch for me.

Telenovela: Punkie leading a sketch! Bad Bunny is way more of a natural in Spanish, I have to say. And random Mick Jagger cameo?! And he was the best part! I'm gonna quote the previous sketch, why didn't they lead with that?!

Please Don't Destroy: Wasn't feeling this until they cut to everyone in costume. The terrible CGI had me dying

WU: "Sleepier than 20 Cosby's" definitely was a Joke Swap joke. This was a fun one, but it was actually short! Something must've gotten cut.

Marcello's Family: As soon as Pedro Pascal showed up in the monologue, I KNEW a sketch was coming! And of course Benito was gonna play his aunt. We got the chancla and putting the sewing supplies in the cookie tin! Benito was like the third banana in his. Pedro is just that good.

The Right Track: Subway stuff was great. It's a sequel to that Waffle House sketch, but the NY version. "Why is this seat wet?!" was a hell of a mood.

Sister Theresa: A sketch with all the women! Really liked Sarah in this. Horny nuns might be an easy premise, but I laughed. And then Mick Jagger showed up.

Burt's Bees: We've all had that one co-worker who can't stop talking about their lives that has nothing to do with anything.

All in all, I was right about this being a banner week for Marcello. But man, Mikey was in every sketch it felt like.

Well, they tried their best, let's hope the actor's strike ends soon and they get what they deserve. Nate Bargatze hosts next week. It's been a long, long time since they've had on a stand-up that either wasn't a castmember or already hosted half a dozen times.

Just now, JeanJean said:

Remind me why these guys were plucked out of all the comedy groups in NYC and elsewhere?

They're nepo babies. One's Tim Herlihy's kid, another is Steve Higgins's son.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Jim Jordan sketch! Man, he sucks, and he's on a loooooong list of Republicans that suck. Like George Santos. And Lauren Boebert. And Trump. JAJ really is the best part of these sketches.

Would have been more accurate/worked better if Boebert hadn't protested her boob being fondled, IMO.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

OK, Bad Bunny isn’t great with English so the skits slant heavily Latino. Fine. And BB seemed game. It just wasn’t funny. At least until the nun skit.

It’s interesting that all the political stuff fell flat, especially Trump. Maybe people are tired of it all.

Mick Jagger had time on his hands.

And I’ve said this before, but could the guy who played the homeless job applicant look any more like a Black Pete Davidson? It’s startling. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Ottis said:

It’s interesting that all the political stuff fell flat, especially Trump. Maybe people are tired of it all.

I know I am. But Bowen as Santos saved that sketch for me.

• Like 8
11 hours ago, SHD said:

Then all the viewers under 35 would be all “Who the hell are these people?!” LOL

True enough, but there's also a lot of us older Gen Xers who think Elvis Costello and Blondie just plain suck as well.  I love The Cars though.

10 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Would have been more accurate/worked better if Boebert hadn't protested her boob being fondled, IMO.

She needed to be vaping, too.

I see Fred Armisen still needs money.

WU was short and weak.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante
  • Like 1

Was anyone besides me more interested in the Devon-JAJ scene than what was going on in the subway behind them? Both guys did a great job.

I was invested in both stories. I liked this one better than the Waffle House sketch.

I was thinking the same thing. She should have reached her hand just out of frame toward the guy's lap.

I really love JAJ's Trump impression. "Don’t we love our country. What an awful place to live." And seeing Bowen as Santos is always welcome. So glad they had him come in carrying the baby.

Watching the monologue, I was so worried that we'd hear BB's fans screaming thruout the show. I'm glad that didn't happen. But I was very happy when Pedro showed up.

The absolute best sketch of the ep was The Age of Discovery. BB was really good. Everyone was. I'll be watching this again.

Did anyone have Mick Jagger on their bingo card? Or Lady Gaga? I didn't recognize her when she introduced BB. When BB thanked her at the end, I was all "So THAT'S who that was."

I thought the please don't destroy bit was ok. BB was good in it.

WU. Seeing the clips of Biden saying "Don't" over and over was pretty funny, esp with Colin's punchline of calling him the Groot of Presidents. I didn't much care about the Jada Pinkett Smith bit. I have read one interview with her and that was enuf.

"Maybe it's Maybelline." Excellent line. I also loved the bit about the bullet knocking off a driver's glasses. "Turns out, he's beautiful!"

The sketch with Pedro as the mother again was fine. Best part of that was him dumping the cookies out and using the tin for his sewing stuff. 

I didn't particularly like the nun sketch or the Burt's Bees sketch.

I was pretty mesmerized by the guys in BB's second performance. I have no idea what he was singing about. The set kind of looked like da Vinci's Last Supper. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 7
4 hours ago, Ottis said:

OK, Bad Bunny isn’t great with English so the skits slant heavily Latino. Fine. And BB seemed game. It just wasn’t funny. At least until the nun skit.

Mick Jagger had time on his hands.

And I’ve said this before, but could the guy who played the homeless job applicant look any more like a Black Pete Davidson? It’s startling. 

I thought the Trump bit was great, as always. And I think Bad Bunny was great as host... just don't like his  "music"

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't particularly like the nun sketch or the Burt's Bees sketch.

I thought the nun sketch was a funny concept but the execution felt a bit half-baked. If there had been more characterization and escalation in the narrative I would have liked it better.  The tagline about Sister Act 3 was the funniest part. 

With Burt's Bees I did like Kenan getting caught up in the wedding details. I would probably have had Enrique start out by trying to focus on his job just a little bit but unable to help himself. 

In the movie set sketch with Punkie as the maid I was really hoping that someone was going to try to help her with her line so that I could find out what it might theoretically have been. (I did laugh at Mikey pointing out that she had made it longer the second time.)

I enjoyed the reprise of Marcello's protective mother but I spent a bit too much time trying to remember whether he had had a girlfriend in the first version since it would not have been New Chloe. (It was Old Chloe.) And also when Pedro criticized the girlfriend for bringing store-bought cookies I indignantly wondered how she could be sure since the tin was clearly not sealed and she hadn't touched it yet let alone opened it. People put homemade cookies in storebought tins all the time. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought the nun sketch was a funny concept but the execution felt a bit half-baked. If there had been more characterization and escalation in the narrative I would have liked it better.  The tagline about Sister Act 3 was the funniest part. 

I basically agree. The premise had promise -- You may quote me -- but I just wish the show wouldn't rely on sex jokes so much. Too many lines from the nuns about getting reamed by the guy-nun. Surely there's another place the humor could have come from. Maybe he could have been passing as a nun so he could eat the yummy bread or whatever they make and sell. Maybe none of the nuns realized she was a man.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I basically agree. The premise had promise -- You may quote me -- but I just wish the show wouldn't rely on sex jokes so much. Too many lines from the nuns about getting reamed by the guy-nun. Surely there's another place the humor could have come from. Maybe he could have been passing as a nun so he could eat the yummy bread or whatever they make and sell. Maybe none of the nuns realized she was a man.

They had a lot of options and keeping it sexual but with some more subtle double entendres could also have worked. I'm still not sure whether they were pronouncing penis as "pen iss" for some S&P reason or whether they just thought it was funnier for some reason.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The sketch with Pedro as the mother again was fine. Best part of that was him dumping the cookies out and using the tin for his sewing stuff. 

I laughed so hard at that I woke up my cats. The only way that could have been funnier is if the container already had sewing supplies in it. Across the country, across all cultures, that damn cookie container being a sewing kit is a collective experience that started long before the internet.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Kind of liked it better than last week. Age of Discovery was great. Pedro coming back was awesome, he really goes for it, he’ll be hosting again in no time.

Was WU shorter? I feel like Colin was phoning it in, maybe he’s ready to bail.

Next week is Nate Bargatze! We saw him perform live and he’s so funny!

This was the first time I'd seen Bad Bunny, and I wasn't impressed with his hosting or his music.  I thought Pedro Pascal saved him. 

I cracked up at Jim Jordan's oversized shirt, because that's exactly what he looks like.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I think Mikey Day was born to play Jim Jordan.

Did folks on the east coast get the Shasta cola joke?

I loved Bad Bunny with the Shrek ears.

I am and I did (I think!).  It's up there with Fanta, Faygo, store-brand, etc., right?  Or was there more to it than that?

• Like 4

George Santos got a call from Tupac. Of course he would.

Sábado Gigante > SNL. 😏

Pedro Pascal!!! Yeah, baby! Unfortunately, they didn't do a great job matching the TV makeup to his natural skin tone. And was he wearing Ukraine's  colors during the opening monologue? I love him.

Now I'll never be able to look at a turkey without thinking of cojones.

Telenovela Francisco sort of resembled a young, Spanish Steven Seagal. Yikes.

Gosh, Mick Jagger looked more frail than I expected. He really is 80.

A24 producing a Spanish spinoff of the Shrek movies. Sounds about right. It probably would've been more accurate if they'd used Netflix instead.

The Jada wig in WU wasn't great. No way does Jada have that much hair now.

I'd already heard that 48 oysters story they mentioned in WU and it still made me feel nauseated.

I thought the subway sketch was the best performance Walker has given so far. Bonus points for not breaking once.

Eh, that Sister Act sketch was lowkey anti-transwomen, no?

Wait, that was Lady Gaga? Wow, I did not recognize her at all. She's put on some weight.

Bad Bunny was okay to me. He was fairly game as long as he got to speak mostly in Spanish. I don't much want to see him host again though. Seems like this time they really needed Pedro and Marcello there to prop him except when he was singing.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 2

The show felt consistently funny with no sketch I hated.  I loved that they just went with a lot of Spanish with no translation.  

Did anyone else catch Mick Jagger's name on the sheet when they did that teaser showing the camera and setup before the telenovela sketch?  

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Gosh, Mick Jagger looked more frail than I expected. He really is 80.

I think he's always looked frail. Always a skinny guy.

The Jada wig in WU wasn't great. No way does Jada have that much hair now.

I'm sure it was hard to get Ego's hair under the skullcap. I think Hair & Makeup did the best they could.

• Like 5

Well, that was kinda lame.  They clearly did not trust Bad Bunny to be a good host.  And they were mostly right.  Although why Mick Jagger?  I mean, I get Pedro Pascal.  (Can I have Pedro Pascal?)

Cold open was mostly good.  And Jada Pinkett Smith on WU was great.  The returning from the New World bit was amusing as was the Shrek movie and the subway skit.  The rest was pretty meh.  Not terrible but not particularly good either.

Bad Bunny's performances were better than Ice Spice's last week, but not my thing.

On 10/22/2023 at 1:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Nate Bargatze hosts next week.

Who?

On 10/22/2023 at 1:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

One's Tim Herlihy's kid, another is Steve Higgins's son.

And again I say, who?

15 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Eh, that Sister Act sketch was lowkey anti-transwomen, no?

How so?  I didn't get that at all.  Of course, I didn't get any humor from it either.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
On 10/16/2023 at 4:52 PM, grommit2 said:

Oh no.
It has finally happened.
I have no idea who "Bad Bunny" is.
"What a drag it is getting old..."

Me ether I'm sorry to say! Or the other guy! But his music was decent enough and the bit where they played 'Aunt' & 'Mother' was so cute!

On 10/22/2023 at 10:29 AM, peeayebee said:

Ha that was funny because years ago my mom's sewing stuff was in a cookie tin! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xls said:

Ha that was funny because years ago my mom's sewing stuff was in a cookie tin! 

Cookie tins and chocolate assortment tins are always very useful. I love that the writers continued with the mother's frugal ways.

• Like 3

How so? 

The premise that men would disguise themselves as women to join a convent so they could have sex with the nuns.

I thought it was in the neighborhood of the belief that some transwomen are actually men wanting to be able to go in women's restrooms or locker-rooms to commit sexual assault on women/girls.

Of course SNL meant their take to be satirical since the nuns were lustful but general idea seemed to me to be perhaps a bit dangerous to joke about.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Although why Mick Jagger? 

To promote the first Rolling Stones album with new music in almost two decades, which includes a guest appearance by Lady Gaga (explaining her appearance).  They also did a small invite-only show a couple of days prior.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Whoa. Pedro Pascal, Mick Jagger, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga in the past two weeks. Looks like SNL is at the point where stunt casting is needed to survive.

SNL has loved the stunt casting for a long time and that's not going to change. Give Lorne a time machine so we have Belushi, Farley, Hartman, etc. with writing by Smigel, Franken and Davis, Tina Fey, et al. hosted by Robin Williams, peak Alec Baldwin, and everyone who they never manged to have on and should have, and they would still go for the surprise appearance by big names. Are they more eager to do so with the SAG strike meaning their top picks for hosts can't actively promote their projects so they are going with friends of the show and less "traditional" choices. Probably. Would having Margot Robbie hosting the premiere make them less eager to have Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce show up? Not a chance.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

The premise that men would disguise themselves as women to join a convent so they could have sex with the nuns.

I thought it was in the neighborhood of the belief that some transwomen are actually men wanting to be able to go in women's restrooms or locker-rooms to commit sexual assault on women/girls.

Of course SNL meant their take to be satirical since the nuns were lustful but general idea seemed to me to be perhaps a bit dangerous to joke about.

Since the nun thing is a trope which goes back centuries (literally - there are medieval and Renaissance stories using that idea), I didn't really think of it that way.  I guess someone could, though.

• Useful 1
On 10/23/2023 at 9:31 PM, theredhead77 said:

Is it considered stunt casting if special guests aren't widely announced or known ahead of time?

or, as in the case of Taylor Swift and Lady GaGa, their "role" was a few seconds of announcing the musical guest?

On 10/23/2023 at 1:02 AM, RobertDeSneero said:

The show felt consistently funny with no sketch I hated.  I loved that they just went with a lot of Spanish with no translation.  

I wish they had used more subtitles. I got bored a couple of times because I couldn't understand what they were saying. Sure, I could figure out some of it because of their expressions and context, but I thought it was a little too much.

• Like 2
On 10/25/2023 at 12:53 AM, heatherchandler said:

What were the ratings for this episode?  I thought it was awful.  The subway sketch made me laugh but that was it.

Hard for me to find ratings in the last few years, but one source (Showbiz411) said they were 800K below the premiere (in household ratings, not the 18-49 demo - don't know what those are).

Dress rehearsal report:

• Like 1
On 10/22/2023 at 9:25 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I thought the subway sketch was the best performance Walker has given so far. 

Yes! His acting is usually so awful that it takes me completely out of scenes. Maybe he's just much better when it's not live?

• Like 2