Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I think that Leslie didn't even buy the dress- I think that wardrobe people took her out to a dress rental place in Costa Rica or Saks Fifth Avenue in LA and had her pick out a dress to wear that would be returned.  She definitely was bringing up the ridiculousness of it all- the walking alone onto a platform while being filmed, huge diamond earrings, the incredibly expensive dress- only to be broken up with.  She probably looked at the price tag of the dress and thought, "Wow! 60k?! I guess I'll wear it, producers!"

I don't know. If that blue dress REALLY cost $60,000 (which I don't believe for one second), it must be made of crushed sapphires. There is nothing special about that dress that I can see.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

I quit watching the show because I thought Gerry was inauthentic and smarmy. And I hate the "house-full of desperate women" trope.

I just read the Reporter article. What we have here is an old-fashioned chauvinist and misogynist (who lies). I'm not surprised, because in reality lots of men (and women) his age share that perspective.

Once again "reality TV" has revealed itself to be anything but. Why do people keep falling for it?

"[L]ots"?? I think you're forgetting who exactly comprises the Boomer 60s g-g-g-generation, mon frere. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
17 minutes ago, Jaundiced Eye said:

I don't know. If that blue dress REALLY cost $60,000 (which I don't believe for one second), it must be made of crushed sapphires. There is nothing special about that dress that I can see.

I think that she was so pissed off that she just made up a price for the dress 😄! Anger clouds the mind- I remember when a guy broke up with me after I got out of the shower with him, and I was so pissed off that I forgot how to even put on a towel- I put it on like a cape while I was yelling at him! 😆🙌💯🥀

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
16 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

[L]ots"?? I think you're forgetting who exactly comprises the Boomer 60s g-g-g-generation, mon frere. 

Have you visited the Deep South or the MidWest? I'm a Southern Boomer, and all my Boomer relatives are in the Deep South. They haven't evolved one. inch. In fact they've gone backward. 😁

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

I would have found the proposal to Theresa to be very moving, if Gerry hadn't turned out to be such a huge douchebag. He really had me fooled into thinking that he was just a sweet, well-meaning, genuine guy. I take solace in knowing that so many other people were also fooled.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I just read the Reporter article. What we have here is an old-fashioned chauvinist and misogynist (who lies). I'm not surprised, because in reality lots of men (and women) his age share that perspective.

What perspective, exactly? The article covered a lot of ground. What perspective specifically do a lot of folks his age share?

• Like 3

Regarding exaggerating a C.V.: He who hasn't used the most self-aggrandizing language, cast the first typo! 🧐 IMO a fast-food franchise in Indiana and Maxim's of Paris both qualify their owners to call themselves "restaurateurs." 👨‍🍳

As for the purported cost of Leslie's gown---I've seen that on "Say Yes to the Dress"! (Usually one of those Pnina schmattas. 😄 👰‍♀️)

We don't know the respective finances of either Theresa or Gerry, thus we don't  know to which party a pre-nup would be advantageous. 🤑 J/S!

They will get married on ABC. They will then go to Italy 🛩 also on ABC's dime, and their trip will be filmed to become yet another G&T (heh🍸) "TV Special."  Maybe after that we'll see their version of "House Hunters," as the newlyweds move to Charleston. 🏡

"The Golden Couple in Italy."  Share Gerry and Theresa's honeymoon as they take a romantic gondola ride in Venice, visit the remarkable Sistine Chapel, view Capri's famous Blue Grotto, and more! A Vespa might be involved!

"The Golden Couple in Charleston." Share in the new beginning for Gerry and Theresa as they house-hunt in beautiful historic Charleston, South Carolina. Whose style choices will prevail?

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

"Retired restaurateur" has much classier, fancier term than, "man who had a fast food franchise and sold it and now does maintenance work."

It may be literally true, but it reminds me of how people pad their resumes to get a job.

Fair, but this is par for the course for Bachelor world, where we’ve seen both a “Pantsopreneur” and a “Chicken Enthusiast,” as well as an “Entrepreneur Business owner” who had one franchise of a local trampoline park. Not to mention the countless unemployed people who gave up their jobs to be on the show but were still billed as whatever business they had been previously employed in as their job. Or even those still in school who hoped to have a job someday, such as Bachelorette Ashley who wasn’t quite the “dentist” yet and was still in dental school.

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
22 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Totally agree. For such a fun enjoyable season, this was quite the downer of an ending. I think Gerry was so desperate to be the nice guy, he went too far in what he said to all three final women. He did Faith and Leslie dirty.  I am glad Leslie didn't pull any punches when she called him a liar - he absolutely was. I think him telling his family that Teresa was the safe choice was the most telling statement of them all. She absolutely was the safe choice. But I guess they belong together - he sounds like Kermit and she looks like a muppet so.......🤷‍♀️

The  most disappointing thing about this episode was that there was no announcement of a Golden Bachelorette. Still hoping it's Susan.....

And take it down a notch or ten Jesse Palmer - Absolutely nothing happened this episode that SHOCKED US TO THE CORE! Well, maybe Leslie in Costa Rica, but us the audience? Nah......

I don’t expect to see any Golden Bachelorette season soon.
I believe it will be challenging to find over 20 decent looking single guys in their 60-70s. It will take them some time to accomplish this massive challenge.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7

Leslie had already picked a wedding dress and written her vows? I don’t know. Advest it was a 50-50 chance for her up until the last minute. I’m glad you didn’t make her go through standing on the platform.
But I don’t know Leslie seems to be forgetting that this is a show and a competition and this is the price you pay for getting involved in it and that’s the risk you take. Of course she has every right to be devastated and crushed and  all of that but that’s the risk you take.  
And people say stuff and people change their minds over the course of days weeks months even hours I guess. Again that’s part of the game here isn’t it?

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I also think that when Leslie had that angry sort of on the offensive reaction when he came back and told her it was Teresa, I’m guessing that that kind of solidified his decision, if that makes sense. Again, I just don’t get it how she could be so confident that she was 100% being chosen. Of course, we don’t know what they said to each other and we only see a small percentage of what happens. I don’t know it’s just complicated I guess.

• Like 2

Teresa‘s whole speech on the platform before he even got a word out was weird to me. What if he didn’t choose her?

but she was very gracious when she thought he rejected her.

And I love her she put the ring on her finger lol!

Edited by seasons
  • Like 3

I think Gerry was 100% Leslie going into overnights. Maybe Theresa and Gerry got closer during overnights, but it was when his daughter told him that she questioned Leslie's ability to have a long-lasting relationship, that is the moment he changed his mind. He judged Leslie's past and went with the safe bet. What a coward. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I think that Leslie didn't even buy the dress- I think that wardrobe people took her out to a dress rental place in Costa Rica or Saks Fifth Avenue in LA and had her pick out a dress to wear that would be returned.  She definitely was bringing up the ridiculousness of it all- the walking alone onto a platform while being filmed, huge diamond earrings, the incredibly expensive dress- only to be broken up with.  She probably looked at the price tag of the dress and thought, "Wow! 60k?! I guess I'll wear it, producers!"

My understanding is that all contestants have to purchase their own stuff to wear on the show.  The show provides nothing.  She is fine as long as she didn’t remove the tags, but why would anyone purchase a 60k dress for anything?

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, b2H said:

My understanding is that all contestants have to purchase their own stuff to wear on the show.  The show provides nothing.  She is fine as long as she didn’t remove the tags, but why would anyone purchase a 60k dress for anything?

They all have to purchase their own dresses?! That's so unfair- they probably will only wear them once in their lives.   I wish the girls could just wear a cute girl's night out dress to the rose ceremony instead of the expensive evening gowns. I hope that Leslie can return her blue dress- all she has to do is show the store owner the breakup reel and she won't even need a return receipt! 

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I remember when a guy broke up with me after I got out of the shower with him, and I was so pissed off that I forgot how to even put on a towel- I put it on like a cape while I was yelling at him! 

I would have given anything to be a fly on the wall for that one. You made me create a scenario in my mind and also caused me to send fizzy root beer up my nasal cavity! Sort of a Zorro thing maybe? Y'er killin' me!!   😝 🤣 🤩

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
On 12/1/2023 at 4:42 PM, Ilovepie said:

And take it down a notch or ten Jesse Palmer - Absolutely nothing happened this episode that SHOCKED US TO THE CORE! 

The part I'm annoyed about was that after Leslie was eliminated, he somberly said something about "You think you know how it ends. But you don't."  Except, WE DID! It ended exactly like it seemed after Leslie was eliminated. The surprise was that they are getting married, but that was more like the ATFR part, not the finale part.

11 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

The places I've seen the "lip syncing" discussions have all had replies saying this is common in people with hearing loss - a kind of side-effect of struggling to hear and reading lips.  The studio audience and related ambient noise could've made it hard for Gerry to single out her voice, even with his hearing aid; apparently mouthing along with the speaker can help one process & comprehend.

I've seen this mouth-moving thing a few times in my life, and it is very disconcerting to talk to someone and see their lips mouthing what you're saying. However, it is a condition called echolalia, and "refers to non-voluntary repetition of another individual's speech". It apparently can be associated with autism, Tourette's, some forms of dementia, and stroke-related aphasia.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1

I’ve never watched a Bachelor or Bachelorette episode or season but tuned into the Golden Bachelor out of curiosity and got hooked.

It seems typical of reality shows that careers and net worth are exaggerated and people’s backgrounds are scrubbed, exaggerated, etc., so it didn’t surprise me that a lot of this was illusory.  Some of the women’s jobs sounded odd or exaggerated too. Anyway, I was all in until the family visits with the final three. Talking with the families, talking seemingly sincerely about love with and kissing all three of them—this was both sort of gross and absurd. I felt like it had to be producer-driven because I really had no idea who he liked best—it all felt identical! And that was weird. He had connections with all the families, showed about the same interest and passion towards each woman. I understand too why producers do it, so we watch, but by the end it backfired for me. 

I thought Leslie was annoying and sad and not a good choice for a partner for anyone, but seeing her destroyed emotionally was awful! It cast a pall over he and Theresa getting together and I went from liking the show to hating it. The two of them seemed awful to me to have made to the end of this competition with like the dead bodies all around them. And I had liked them together and thought she was the right choice for him, but it’s just tainted for me now. 

I don’t want to see them anymore or watch another group of people go through this! 

Edited by Gigi G3
Typos
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LindaT said:

I think Gerry was 100% Leslie going into overnights. Maybe Theresa and Gerry got closer during overnights, but it was when his daughter told him that she questioned Leslie's ability to have a long-lasting relationship, that is the moment he changed his mind. He judged Leslie's past and went with the safe bet. What a coward. 

3 hours ago, LindaT said:

Why coward? How about realistic at his age? I'm not even 60 and I am happy to just have a good and devoted spouse. I'm his first and only life. I was married before to someone who always wanted more and I was too boring for him. He didn't want to grow up. 20 years later he still doesn't.  So maybe its wanting to just be at peace. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 7
41 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Reese Witherspoon's mother and daughter were in the audience too. 

Wow! Now that explains why I kept thinking that a girl in the audience looked like Reese Witherspoon! That's so cute that Reese's daughter and mom went together 🙂💗

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I would have given anything to be a fly on the wall for that one. You made me create a scenario in my mind and also caused me to send fizzy root beer up my nasal cavity! Sort of a Zorro thing maybe? Y'er killin' me!!   😝 🤣 🤩

My nude breakup battle made the Jerry Springer guests look tame 😄! This happened 13 years ago when I was 22.  You are correct! 😆💯 I fashioned a pink bath towel into a Zorro cape that covered my back, but I was completely nude in the front 😄! Then I angrily draped it on my shoulders like a pashmina while yelling at him and as I yelled for him to get out of my dorm room, I held the towel in front of my chest like I was folding a pillowcase! I still laugh whenever I think about it now! For years after that I'd tell guys, "Don't break up with me while I'm putting a towel on" without any explanation- unless they asked. 😄😉

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, LindaT said:

Perhaps instead of being a "coward" for not choosing Leslie---twice-divorced, overly-emotional, and yes, younger Leslie---Gerry simply went with the woman he related to and loved more. 💘

Or maybe he just flipped a coin! 🪙  🤣

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

ABC’s Golden Bachelor star Gerry Turner commented on an exposé released this week that detailed his less-than-golden relationship past.

The New York Times asked Turner if the story was accurate, and he replied, “I guess I haven’t really looked at it as how accurate it is. I’ve more looked at it in terms of timing, and how it really doesn’t fit with all of the positive things that are going on in my life right now. I mean, I’m sitting across from Theresa right now, and I look at her, and she’s the love of my life. And I really don’t have time to think about some of the other stuff.”

Turner gave a similar response when asked about the story by the Los Angeles Times: “My only response is that I have so many positive things in my life right now. I have the wonderful love of Theresa, my partner. I don’t have time to reflect on comments like this. I’m happy to look forward.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/golden-bachelor-gerry-turner-reacts-212518234.html

Of course Gerry dodged the question. 🙄 I just look at him as a con artist now.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1

Gerry is such a liar, dodging questions like he's playing a game of Frogger.  Notice how he doesn't deny it, he simply says he doesn't have time to look into it right now and he's with "the love of his life" 🙄 Teresa?!  He's such an expert bullshitter! 🤡 He's as fake as his boxed Just for Men hair dye. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
9 hours ago, Maximadc said:

I don’t expect to see any Golden Bachelorette season soon.
I believe it will be challenging to find over 20 decent looking single guys in their 60-70s. It will take them some time to accomplish this massive challenge.

ITA! And also don't forget that us Baby Boomers still cling to the belief that we can attract a woman 20 years younger than us!😉😛

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
15 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

If…..the lovely Theresa does marry him and as I posted above…I have my doubts on that one…she better prenup with all her might. 

Oh I think she will because the wedding date is set before she is going to know what being with him daily is like. They can talk over the phone and really get to know one another but nothing replaces the small moments of being together. 

And if there's anyone with whom someone should take some time to be sure about, it's Gerry after everything came out.

12 hours ago, MissPriss said:

If there were quality TV shows, this reality stuff would suffer in the rating. But when any of the Bachelor/ette shows rank high in the ratings, you can bet there’s nothing competing for the audience’s attention. That’s certainly why I watched.

People like "trash" or TV you don't need to think about.  Plus, even if Gerry ain't all that, I still enjoyed watching the women.

9 hours ago, seasons said:

Leslie had already picked a wedding dress and written her vows?

No.  She picked out a dress and started writing "vows" for the ceremony that takes place at the end of the episode.  They used to have both women go to the platform, all dressed up, and meet with the bachelor.  One would get broken up with and the other would exchange their feelings/get a proposal like what happened with Gerry and Theresa.

6 hours ago, b2H said:

My understanding is that all contestants have to purchase their own stuff to wear on the show.  The show provides nothing. 

The women have to bring their own gowns for most of the rose ceremonies but around the Top 3 or 4, the show provides the wardrobe. 

As for Leslie being the bachelorette, I suspect she'd be much looser as the picker rather than competing with a bunch of other women.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm a little tired of people dissing Gerry for how he played the game (after all it IS reality TV)...and making his ultimate choice. The runner-up getting hurt is par for the course. It's been part of the "journey" since Trista was dumped by Alex.

IMO, I think Gerry was MORE than fair with his explanation and feelings towards Leslie. In fact, he gave her the courtesy of telling her she wasn't the one BEFORE the last day and walk on the beach, thus saving her the hurt and embarrassment of standing on the beach hoping for a proposal and waiting another day.

And the fact that she not only broke down uncontrollably when he told her, she felt the need to scold him again, going on & on repeatedly, at the reunion. Leslie really needs to get a grip, so I hope she isn't chosen for Golden Bachelorette because she is way too emotional to go through the entire process and journey.

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Like 13
  • Applause 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/1/2023 at 6:17 AM, SassyCat said:

Dolly looks AMAZING in her shorty shorts there. Incredible for her age. I am sure her glam squad makes it all possible. 

Dolly has said in the past "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap"/

On 12/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, bequialife said:

[A]gree about Gerry not being any more out of line than other bachelors.  They all kinda do this to the final couple of women.

During the overnight, Gerry told Leslie "Til death do we part" and other things that I took as serious commitment -- before the overnight with Theresa!  So, yeah, he was a lying liar who lies "in that moment".

20 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Nightline?  The same Nightline that started life as a daily update of the Iran hostage crisis?

Yes, that  Nightline. Once the hostage crises was over, it morphed into a "true crime" broadcast.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
22 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I'm in his age range.  The last guy I dated, 2+ years, wore hearing aids.  He did not move his lips when people talked.  Nor do my SIL, or any of the other people I know with hearing aids.  Heck, I had a date last night with a 64 year old with hearing loss.  No lips moved while I spoke.

So yeah, I'm suspect.

My mom used to do this when I or others were talking, and the other day my elderly friend did it too. She was following me while I spoke. I don't know why people do it but I don't think it necessarily means they are controlling. It is distracting but I chalk it up to a behavioral tic. 

If they do another Golden Bachelor, I hope they pick someone a little younger, maybe mid to late 50s. I would be more interested in that age range. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/golden-bachelor-gerry-turner-reacts-212518234.html

Of course Gerry dodged the question. 🙄 I just look at him as a con artist now.

Thanks, @Armchair Critic, for posting the link (yahoo.com/entertainment/golden-bachelor-gerry-turner-reacts-212518234.html) to Gerry's reaction to the HR et al. articles about his real life history.

But my reaction, OTOH, was that I am less inclined to think he's a con artist or a toxic partner. 
The earlier reveal articles had me thinking he was horrible.
Maybe even a serial killer, heh. 
And he undoubtedly does have his familiar lines he says when his libido is up. 
But, given his long marriage to his first wife, and with Hollywood Reporter having not unearthed any Domestic Violence history or anything, I think he and his post-death-of-wife-gf just had a nasty breakup.
Words about weight gain were tossed out in a hurtful manner. Maybe she said some unkind crap too.🤷🏻‍♀️
And, yes, this could happen again with Theresa. 

But I'm guessing the reality TV people likely told Gerry at some point that they were re-writing his background (not having kissed, dated, etc. since wife's death) and he had to go along with it or else he was liable for breach of contract fees.
Gotta read that fine print!

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But I'm guessing the reality TV people likely told Gerry at some point that they were re-writing his background (not having kissed, dated, etc. since wife's death) and he had to go along with it or else he was liable for breach of contract fees.
Gotta read that fine print!

It takes an ego to go on a show like this, I think he is is loving the attention. I wouldn't want my father to do it, so to be honest I question the common sense of his daughters encouraging him. People are going to judge you and things from your past will end up coming out.

I agree that the showrunners pushed the story line of the widower who has been alone since his wife died looking for love, but Gerry is a big boy and agreed to go along with the false narrative. I still think he is a phony but I think Theresa may be a bit fake too so it may be a match made in hell heaven. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1

The show began filming in August and they are planning on getting married in early January.  That's right at five months.  Yes, I know people who have known each other for a shorter period of time who have gotten married and it has worked out. But they met in the real world, not on a reality show.  It just feels like they are desperate to get married quickly.  Is this going to be a legally binding marriage? Many older people will have commitment ceremonies rather than binding marriages because of pensions and social security.  

I do not plan to watch the wedding, but I hope there is a great prenup. A prenup doesn't have to be only for rich people. Both of them have children and grandchildren and I would hope Theresa and Gerry would want their children to get the assets (or sentimental items) shared with the first spouse.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 5

Yes it's been 5 months since they "met", but only a few weeks since they've been a couple.  In those first few months, they only saw each other one on one a few times, only spent a few hours together.

And since then, it's been about an hour a day on the phone.

I do hope they each have their wills, beneficiaries, TOD's, etc., all in place.  And that they get a prenup for each of their sakes.

They each need their own lawyer to comb through each of their financial history, current assets, and wishes for future, as things can get ugly really fast.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The beautiful dress didn't ultimately work out for Michelle lol.  There's some shade being thrown now by her ex (Nayte), with whom she split 6 months after the "most romantic proposal ever".  She accused him of cheating (probably true).  ABC had given the couple a very large sum of money to buy a house together, and when they broke up, she was going to donate it to a charity, but Nayte is now saying she kept the money.

All of that aside, as much as I'm not crazy about Theresa, she looks amazing in that dress.

• Like 3

I was thinking about Theresas statements to Gerry about how she wanted him to choose her only if he was 100% certain that it was absolutely her that he wanted… meaning her human personality traits and his attraction to her in a romance sparky, intimacy craving kind of way. Only if he can’t live without her as his chosen one, above any other female out there (Leslie) that he might be preferring more so.

Then she reveals her financial acuity and hints that because of this trait, she is rolling in dough and well off, not in need of other peoples help with financial neediness.

It was bait, pure and simple and he took and swallowed it like a large mouth bass from his lake.

She herself was not relying solely on her attractiveness to him to win his attention and the first prize win of the engagement ring 💍, but felt she needed to put that info out there about her financial wizardry, in what I feel was a ploy to turn the odds in her favor. 

So… in truth, she did not win because he lusted for her in attraction of physical presence and personality to die for, but because of the monetary bait she dangled at the precise moment it was needed to help him along his in final decision making in the last hours he had to do so.

I do believe he was leaning towards choosing Leslie until Theresa threw out that bait in the last day of choice mulling he had left. He was obviously more physically attracted to Leslie and loved how he felt when he was with her. He said so himself to her, quite often. Also said this to her family.

I think Theresa is very calculating, just as I thought she was calculated in her little conversations with Kathy, and pretended she did not realize that what she was saying to her was offensive. She knew damn well what she was doing while feigning innocent ignorance of how her words fell on others psyche, which caused them anxiety and feeling like they lost to her, before the “game” even really started. Shes a slick one, for sure. She played the game like a chess master.

I hope he can appreciate this about her in the future, if it ever dawns on him that she played him and everyone else, like a fiddle.

Then again, I could be completely wrong in my assessment of what I think I saw. 
I am sure she won’t be admitting it, if it was true. 

Edited by SassyCat
  • Like 9
  • Applause 11
3 minutes ago, SassyCat said:

I was thinking about Theresas statements to Gerry about how she wanted him to choose her only if he was 100% certain that it was absolutely her that he wanted… meaning her human personality traits and his attraction to her in a romance sparky, intimacy craving kind of way. Only if he can’t live without her as his chosen one, above any other female out there (Leslie) that he might be preferring more so.

Then she reveals her financial acuity and hints that because of this trait, she is rolling in dough and well off, not in need of other peoples help with financial neediness.

It was bait, pure and simple and he took and swallowed it like a large mouth bass from his lake.

She herself was not relying solely on her attractiveness to him to win his attention and the first prize win of the engagement ring 💍, but felt she needed to put that info out there about her financial wizardry, in what I feel was a ploy to turn the odds in her favor. 

So… in truth, she did not win because he lusted for her in attraction of physical presence and personality to die for, but because of the monetary bait she dangled at the precise moment it was needed to help him along his in final decision making in the last hours he had to do so.

I do believe he was leaning towards choosing Leslie until Theresa threw out that bait in the last day of choice mulling he had left. He was obviously more physically attracted to Leslie and loved how he felt when he was with her. He said so himself to her, quite often. Also said this to her family.

She I think Theresa is very calculating, just as I thought she was calculated in her little conversations with Kathy, and pretended she did not realize that what she was saying to her was offensive. She knew damn well what she was doing while feigning innocent ignorance of how her words fell on others psyche, which caused them anxiety and feeling like they lost to her, before the “game” even really started. Shes a slick one, for sure. She played the game like a chess master.

I hope he can appreciate this about her in the future, if it ever dawns on him that she played him and everyone else, like a fiddle.

Then again, I could be completely wrong in my assessment of what I think I saw. 
I am sure she won’t be admitting it, if it was true. 

Interesting theory, but your timing is slightly off, from what I remember.  She told him about her job during their overnight dates.   Then the two women met his family they each had a last chance date with him.  

I also recall him being interested in her fr9m day one when he asked her to help him with the frosting on his lips.  

• Like 4

It used to be that the Bachelor or Bachelorette didn't say "I love you" to anyone until the FRC. I'm not sure if they weren't allowed to by contract, or if they just had the sense not to. 

Ben Higgins broke that rule when he said it both to JoJo ("You're allowed to say that?") and Lauren. Now it seems every lead finds themselves in love with two (wo)men.

On the flip side, I think that was an issue in Katie Thurston's season. When she declared that she wouldn't tell anyone she loved them until she picked her final one. She and Greg got into a big argument about it and he stormed off. At least I think that was what the argument was about. 

ETA - Gary made it worse by telling Leslie that "you're the one". It made it seem like the "I love you" wasn't what mattered, but being "the one" did.

Edited by deSchenke
  • Like 5
13 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Interesting theory, but your timing is slightly off, from what I remember.  She told him about her job during their overnight dates.   Then the two women met his family they each had a last chance date with him.  

I also recall him being interested in her fr9m day one when he asked her to help him with the frosting on his lips.  

Yes, their first date was really a good one and they did seem to really hit it off. Then he went and licked lips wIth quite a few others and mostly Leslies. Faith too. 

I feel the overnight dates WERE the last chance to hook line and sinker him, even though they had the meets with his family and that last get together before the next days big reveal. It was a hail mary move on her part while she had him in her lair for the whole night. We do not know what else happened that night or whatever slick moves she might have revealed to him in the fantasy suite. 

Personally, I like Theresa way better for him, than Leslie. I think they are a perfect match and I hope it lasts for their forever. I do like an above average intelligence and I think Theresa has one.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I wonder if the engagement dresses reflect some fundamental differences between Leslie and Theresa regarding money.   According to articles linked upthread, Leslie bought a $60,000 dress for the occasion while Theresa wore the dress Michelle wore.   If the articles are accurate, unless Leslie is independently wealthy, I’d be concerned about her approach to spending.  Theresa may not be a trader, but with her licences and position, I’d guess she pulls in at least $200,000 a year.  

• Useful 1

In one of the interviews posted here (from “People”, maybe?) Gerry said something about the whole family getting together to celebrate Hannukah.  What’s with that?  I haven’t seen anything to suggest that anyone in Gerry’s or Theresa’s family is Jewish.

• Like 4
On 11/30/2023 at 11:23 PM, call me ishmael said:

I thought it was when he found out her bank balance 

In three quick seconds, he imagined trips to far off places, the best restaurants, the best hotels, the best booze, the best everything .  A man’s dream.  A no brainer. Lol.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

been alone since his wife died looking for love, but Gerry is a big boy and agreed to go along with the false narrative. I still think he is a phony but I think Theresa may be a bit fake too so it may be a match made in hell heaven. 

I read on line many stories about him that were not good, unfortunately.  He had a girlfriend one month after his wife’s death, plus living with someone at some point .. lots of stuff I didn’t like.  Don’t know if it’s true or not.  It made me question his motive.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

There's some shade being thrown now by her ex (Nayte), with whom she split 6 months after the "most romantic proposal ever".  She accused him of cheating (probably true).  ABC had given the couple a very large sum of money to buy a house together, and when they broke up, she was going to donate it to a charity, but Nayte is now saying she kept the money.

Nayte is throwing shade but I think he's being misleading.  When they broke up, Michelle was asked what they would do with the money, and Michelle said she would see if it could be donated.  The thing is, they never ended up getting the money.  She may have asked about a donation and ABC told her "no."  So the money didn't get donated but she didn't keep it.

2 hours ago, deSchenke said:

ETA - Gary made it worse by telling Leslie that "you're the one". It made it seem like the "I love you" wasn't what mattered, but being "the one" did.

I agree.  I think Gerry did go further than other bachelor leads.  (Most of whom do say things like "I'm falling for you" in lieu of a full on "I love you" until the very end.)

He did go above and beyond "the show" by saying things like she's the one and sneaking her handwritten notes which, as I understand it, is outside of the normal "game."  Those are the kind of things we've heard of people doing for their final 1. 

And if Gerry is going to get a pass on what he said to Leslie because he "meant it at the time" then I don't understand why Leslie isn't getting a pass for believing him when he meant it at the time and legitimately being upset when he does an about-face.  Even though he liked Theresa in the beginning, everything Gerry said before the finale said the overnights changed things for him, and I think that is reflected in his behavior.  Before the overnights, he was polite with Theresa but didn't come off as enthusiastic as he did when he was with Leslie.

The overnights happened, and he saw what a great "businesswoman" Theresa was, and suddenly, the behavior was reversed.  He was withdrawn from Leslie in a way he hadn't been before.  And Leslie knew. 

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I wonder if the engagement dresses reflect some fundamental differences between Leslie and Theresa regarding money. 

The women don't buy the engagement dresses.  It's ABC.  If Disney is paying, I'm spending. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 1

Another thing that pisses me off about Gerry is that during the Final Rose sit down, he said he knew Teresa was the "right choice" because "she could nurture a long relationship" since she was with her high school sweetheart until he died.  This was a low blow to Leslie.  Gerry's emphasis on Teresa being "right" for him implies that Leslie was "wrong" since she's divorced. 

I honestly think Leslie is more honest/raw and interesting than Teresa; she's loved men and she's had multiple extreme heartbreaks, whereas Teresa has this annoying little girl voice and comes off as an overeager lovesick teenager to me. Gerry didn't "love" Teresa until she told him about her day trading and stocks.  When Teresa said she loved him on the Ferris wheel, he said "That's so sweet of you to say" which is The Bachelor kiss of death.   If Gerry wants a wife who will kiss his ass and not question his actions or words, he made the "right" choice. 😏 Knowing what I know now about Gerry though, I'm glad he didn't pick Leslie, because she can and will do better. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 2