Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I know it but sometimes the word is in my brain and won't surface in time and this was one such occasion.  Needing a specific number of letters often trips me up.

Me too.

• Like 2

Sam!!!! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

having him back is the only reason I’m okay with another tourney. 

• Like 10
  • Love 6
(edited)

April 1:

60% / 37% / 49%

Relatively not-terrible first round… ran Tailor's Version, missed one in Reptiles & Amphibians and Same Last 3/First 3 Letters, three in Current Events and Authors at War, and four in Sports. Terrible DJ, even for a tournament…missed one in Long Words, two in Bands, and four in everything else. FJ was an instaget and I've never even read the book.

TSes: (J had 8 (including all but one of the $1K clues); DJ had 4 + 1DD) I got hook and eye, yoke, and neurodivergent.

"Bring it!" Only you can do it, Sam…except for everyone else who does it now.

Was rooting for Sam, of course, so woo-hoo!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

FJ was an instaget and definitely the high point of my game.

I got the missed clues of eyes, Tolstoy and neurodivergent.

I only got two questions right before the first commercial break, but did end up getting at least one right in each category..  What a night. I clearly need a brain transplant or something.

• Like 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  And woo hoo for the bon vivant and man about town.  I find it hard to believe Colby didn't know FJ.  Maybe it's not nerdy enough for him (he competed on that Biggest Nerd show a few years ago).

I got the TS of eyes, yoke, and neurodivergent.

5 minutes ago, opus said:

Ken’s jit reminds me of Mean Girls fetch.

Yes.  Ken, sweetie, stop trying to make JIT happen.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

FJ was an instaget. Didn't realize the book was that old.

Not quite an instaget but pretty quick for me, I actually thought the book was older than that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

es.  Ken, sweetie, stop trying to make JIT happen.

I had a group of friends in college who all called each other jit.  I've never heard it anywhere else. (besides in my accounting classes where it stood for just in time). And, no, Ken wasn't there.

• Like 3

I got home just barely in time and missed the beginning of the intros. Just looked on youtube to see if I could find the game to see Sam's "bon vivant and man about town"... I had to watch it a couple times just to see him trying to keep a straight face. 😄

• Like 2

A rare event, I remembered and liked all 3 contestants. (Not everyone liked Lilly in the college tournament, but I did.)  Congrats, Sam!

• Like 6

Yay, Sam!  Nice to see Colby again, too.  (Nothing against Lilly, I just don't remember her.)  It stood out almost immediately that Colby tried to ring in on practically everything Sam answered (which was not the case with anywhere near the same percentage of clues Lilly answered, so it's not as if he was just ringing in on everything), and Sam was trying to get in on a fair number of Colby's gets, which tells me a) they have a good deal of similarity in their knowledge and b) Sam having used the buzzer so much more recently than Colby helped him.  (Of course, so did the bold wager on that final DD!)

I rain tailor and got all but one each in reptiles, current events, and last 3/first 3 (fun category!), so had a pretty good first round for this tournament.  I missed two each in the others.

But, holy cow, my brain went off and hung out somewhere else during DJ.  Easily the worst round I have ever had.  Abysmal.  I got all but Goa in places, but was absolutely terrible in the rest.  I almost blew 14th c, art crimes, and bands entirely, only knowing the Little Ice Age, the Mona Lisa, and Chumbawumba, respectively.  I wasn't much better in feelings and words, missing three each.

I did get FJ, though, pretty much instantly.  I've never read the book and couldn't tell you a thing about it other than it exists, but it sprang right to mind.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

besides in my accounting classes where it stood for just in time

As far as I am concerned Jeopardy can have Ken say JIT as much as he wants. Jeopardy Invitational Tournament or even just Invitational Tournament is quite a mouthful. I wouldn't even have thought anything of it if people hadn't been making fetch allusions.

Disappointed that Lily didn't do better -- I thought both angst and wardrobe were easy. But Sam got final so it wouldn't have made any difference in the end.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Spellink
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Bring it!" Only you can do it, Sam…except for everyone else who does it now.

Kind of made me wonder if Ken was also annoyed by Yogesh’s appropriation. (I know he wasn’t the only one, but his was the most egregious.)

There was no way I wasn’t going to root for Bon Vivant Sam, but I wish Colby had played on a different night. I really like him, too. I didn’t remember Lily at all.

Instaget FJ. I’m on a roll! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

Who won on Friday? I couldn't find the game on Youtube.

Victoria Groce, in an impressive performance for someone who didn't land on a single DD.  She answered nearly 30 questions correctly and had a great DJ in particular.  Here's the J!Archive link to the game if you want to read through even though you can't watch.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

There was no way I wasn’t going to root for Bon Vivant Sam, but I wish Colby had played on a different night. I really like him, too. I didn’t remember Lily at all.

I felt a little bad when I saw Colby and Sam were both on because I like Colby but I knew I'd be rooting for Sam whenever he played. I remember Lily and I liked her well enough. On another night I might have rooted for her, too.

• Like 5

Can someone explain the Caravaggio clue? I even got it right, but didn’t understand the wording of the clue. Thanks!

(edited)
35 minutes ago, rejnel said:

Can someone explain the Caravaggio clue? I even got it right, but didn’t understand the wording of the clue. Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravaggio#Exile_and_death_(1606–1610):~:text=On 29 May 1606%2C Caravaggio killed a young man%2C

•.¸¸.•*´¨`* •.¸ ¸.•´¨`*•.¸¸.•

At least I keep getting a TS or two, but no FJs in a long time. 
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe didn't come to me because (1) I didn't have time to read it when my daughters did, and (2) the clue of ”A girl in a 1950 novel walks into this & ‘got in among the coats and rubbed her face against them’” took me back to the 1950s coat racks of furs of beaver and mink in the fancy department store in Manhattan where Mom tried on slacks, and I did not want to leave the memory any more than I wanted to leave the coat rack in the 50s where I rubbed my face against the soft furs.

•.¸¸.•*´¨`* •.¸ ¸.•´¨`*•.¸¸.•

Hearing Sam is now Professor Emeritus (retired) made me sad because I was offered a position as librarian at the Naval Postgraduate School the same year he started. I've often wished I could see an alternate universe in which I'd taken that job instead another, and Sam has given me a glimpse of that. But now I fear he'll regret retiring too soon, as I have. Hopefully that will not be the case.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Not quite an instaget but pretty quick for me, I actually thought the book was older than that.

Me too - not that I would have gotten the answer - the mister beat me to it, and like me, he hadn't read the books.

12 hours ago, Driad said:

A rare event, I remembered and liked all 3 contestants. (Not everyone liked Lilly in the college tournament, but I did.)  Congrats, Sam!

I liked her too - took me a minute to remember her, though.

3 hours ago, ABay said:

Sorry I missed Sam; I forgot to watch last night.

He won last night, so you'll see him again.

• Like 2

I am so glad Sam won.  I vaguely remember Lily, don't recall anything against her.  But Colby, I had thought he was generally disliked - I remember not liking him during his original appearances.

Instaget FJ. I read the Chronicles of Narnia as an adult after I bought them for my sons and I enjoyed most of them, with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe as my favourite. Only one son read and liked them; the other one just doesn't like to read.

• Like 3

Was never a Colby fan but his tribute to his wife made me choke up. Yogesh was not the only one to use “bring it.”  I hope the phrase is used ONLY by Sam going forward.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

But Colby, I had thought he was generally disliked - I remember not liking him during his original appearances.

I did not like him. Still don't. I think he's smug.  Oh, he's probably a nice guy IRL; I just don't like him on J!

17 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

As far as I am concerned Jeopardy can have Ken say JIT as much as he wants.

When I hear "JIT," I hear it as half a word, the first half being "ID."

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

An Id Tournament would be interesting... all the competitors would have to be chosen from a roiling cauldron of urges and the game would be conducted while all of them are either hypnotized or asleep.

I'll take Dream Symbolism for 200! With a shot of Ambien!

• Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Trey said:

But Colby, I had thought he was generally disliked - I remember not liking him during his original appearances.

I know he bugged me a great deal in his Teacher's Tournament but then in All-Stars (which was five years after we'd last seen him) I liked him*, but I didn't remember the trajectory of how I reacted to him in the tournaments in between, so looked up my old comments:  In his ToC I found him far less annoying but he still acted in a way that I didn't want him to win, and in Battle of the Decades I found him totally neutral; I was rooting for someone else, but not against him. 

*I also remember that in one of his interviews during that tournament he talked about using his J! winnings to help his mom, making her the first person in her family to ever be able to truly retire.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

April 2:

53% / 43% / 48%

Blah. In J I missed one in "J-I-T" Words, three in Song Similes, four in US History, and two in the rest. In DJ I missed one in Astronomy and Dance, two in Movies & Myth, four in Philosophy and 3 Letters, and completely failed Mountain/Valley. Did not get FJ; I also guessed Mongols, for lack of a better idea.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 4) I got Lessons in Chemistry, Tracy Chevalier, Meander (DD), and Lady Gaga.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I said Mongols. Khan took me to Genghis, which took me to Mongols and that's all I got.

I got the missed clues of Tracy Chevalier, meander and geyeser.

Not too bad of a night for a tournament.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Add me to the Mongol Horde.  

I only got the TS of Lessons In Chemistry and meander.  

That was a really good game!  I loved the lead switching back and forth, but I'm glad Amy won in the end.

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

in one of his interviews during that tournament he talked about using his J! winnings to help his mom, making her the first person in her family to ever be able to truly retire.

Now I want him to win everything.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Sad the Nicholas Brothers was a TS.  Watch their famous dance routine 

I knew them but couldn't remember their name. I wanted to say "Williamson Brothers," even though I knew it wasn't right.

Went back and forth between the Golden Horde and the Mongols. Let's just pretend that I decided on Golden Horde, shall we?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6

Re FJ, I got Golden Horde because we watched that series back when we first got The Learning Channel.

I know I got some ts's but Meander is the only one I can remember since I haven't been writing them down lately.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
20 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Was never a Colby fan but his tribute to his wife made me choke up. Yogesh was not the only one to use “bring it.”  I hope the phrase is used ONLY by Sam going forward.

Many contestants have used it (just like many have used James' all in gesture). I don't particularly care for it, but I've grown accustomed. I assume they are just giving props to one of their Jeopardy idols.

19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I hear "JIT," I hear it as half a word, the first half being "ID."

And that's the first word I threw out when the category J-I-T was revealed.

15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Mongols. Khan took me to Genghis, which took me to Mongols and that's all I got.

Me too. I console myself by knowing that the Golden Horde descended (?) from the Mongols.

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Sad the Nicholas Brothers was a TS.  Watch their famous dance routine 

We could not remember their names - we've watched this performance many times over the years. And of course, slapped our heads when it was answered. Sigh...

• Like 3

I'd never even heard of the Golden Horde, so obviously did not get FJ.

But I had a good game for this level of play, which was a nice palate cleanser after my dreadful performance Monday night.  I was watching at my parents' house, so didn't keep track, but I was rattling off answers pretty well while my mom sat there in irritated silence. 😄  Checking the archive, I missed all the same books and songs as the contestants did but got everything else in the first round.  In DJ, I got all the TS except for the Nicholas Brothers.  I blew the Movies & Myth category entirely (which I rather expected coming in, as that is not my genre), but if not for that I'd have only missed six in the entire round.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 7:23 PM, PaulaO said:

I know nothing about the 14th century but I’m glad bon vivant and man about town Sam does.

I majored in Medieval & Renaissance Studies in college and my specific area of interest was 14th Century England.  So imagine my extreme chagrin at not getting Edward III.  I've written papers on aspects of his court, ffs!  In my defense, something about the clue made me think they wanted the name of the French king (which was Philip VI, so that was clearly wrong, given that it specified the III king of that name).  Towson State should be calling any minute demanding their degree back, methinks.

I did well overall in that game and FJ was an instaget.

The less said about last night's game for me, the better.  Although I did get FJ through the process of "Khanate?  Genghis Khan?  Mongol Horde?  Golden Horde!".

Damn, I was rooting for David.  So close. ☹️

On 4/1/2024 at 9:10 PM, Grizzly said:

FJ was an instaget. Didn't realize the book was that old.

And yay for Sam!

I was actually worried that 1950 was too recent for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I went with my first instinct.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 3

When we get back to regular play next week, I wonder if the contestants will be as bold with their Daily Double wagers? And if we will continue to clear the boards. I like the nice, quick pace we’ve been having!

• Like 4

I had no idea on FJ.

I got the missed clues of fountainhead and defamation.

I got the entire category of baby talk right and the entire category of math wrong.

• Like 3

April 3:

63% / 37% / 49%

Relatively not terrible in the first round again. Missed one in Heard on TV and Baby Talk, three in Historic Refusals, and two each in the rest. In DJ I missed one in Congresswomen, two in Bodies of Water and Film Composers, and four in everything else. No FJ, either.

TSes: (J had 2 +  the DD; DJ had 4) I only got defamation.

Torn between Sam and Andrew…but I liked everyone tonight. Was wondering about Sam's tree pin.

I'll be glad to get back to games where I don't consider low 60s to be a decent score.

• Like 1

Bummer; I was rooting for Larissa, but I knew it was all over when Andrew landed on that last DD.

Speaking of bummers -- the Bernard Hermann TS (he was one of my pre-calls when the category was announced; another was Williams, and the third, Hans Zimmer, did not appear).

The defamation TS surprised me.

I had a great first half; I ran half the categories and got all but one each in the other half.

Pretty good for DJ, and damn good for DJ in these championship games -- I ran congresswomen and letters, got all but one each in math and composers, and missed two each in literature and water.

I didn't get FJ, though.  Made all the sense in the world when Andrew's answer came up, but I had nothing.

• Like 3