Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Instaget FJ for me as well.  

I also got the TS of phase/faze, ticklish, cruel summer, California Scrub Jay, and Philadelphia Vireo.

Incidentally, the bird they showed for the Cooper's Hawk was not a Cooper's Hawk.  It looked more like a Peregrine Falcon to me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Incidentally, the bird they showed for the Cooper's Hawk was not a Cooper's Hawk.  It looked more like a Peregrine Falcon to me.

Thanks, that explains my confusion. I said “hawk” without seeing the screen, then looked up and corrected to “…falcon?” That did not look like a hawk to me.

On the other hand, I had no problem identifying The Velveteen Rabbit:

IMG_0543.gif.e61c89b1ebff68a50143832d22f2ee23.gif

• Like 7
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Thank you!! Now I feel smart again. That's what I said while looking at an incredibly large and close TV screen.

47 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Thanks, that explains my confusion. I said “hawk” without seeing the screen, then looked up and corrected to “…falcon?” That did not look like a hawk to me.

On the other hand, I had no problem identifying The Velveteen Rabbit:

And, yes, The Velveteen Rabbit was an instaget.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband thinks Alison looks like Kristen Chenoweth. I'm not so sure.

Are you sure he didn't mean Kristen Bell?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
49 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Are you sure he didn't mean Kristen Bell?

Yes she looks much more like KB, can't see KC at all.

• Like 5
(edited)
17 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't know that fact about Endeavour and Discovery - but somehow knew those were the two shuttles in question. I hadn't the foggiest idea, however, who the explorer might be, and so went with my default "No-idea-which-explorer" answer, which happens to be Cook (I did a project on him in grade 3, and don't remember much about him at all).

I recently read a novel about Captain Cook's wife - so I did connect the Discovery with him, but didn't think of Endeavor.

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband thinks Alison looks like Kristen Chenoweth. I'm not so sure.

Yeah, not so much. Chenoweth has a really distinctive look, imo.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It certainly wasn 't a finch.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And, yes, The Velveteen Rabbit was an instaget.

My very favorite children's book - as usual my kids didn't love it as much as I did. 🥲

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
(edited)

I don't think Alison looks anything like Kristin Chenoweth, and thankfully she doesn't sound anything like her, either (Chenoweth's speaking voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me), as I hope she sticks around.

I was watching with friends last night so didn't keep track, but I had a great game other than Today's Hits.  I even ran Kiddy Lit, which I usually suck at despite having been a voracious reader as a kid -- they tend to ask about things I didn't read or don't remember, and I have no recent exposure to kid books as I avoid children like the plague.

The stock photos category entertained me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

On further probing on my husband's Chenoweth comment, he said it was more her mannerisms than looks. And I verified he has no idea who Kristen Bell is. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 7

I love Alison’s game play but her voice is hard for me to punch through. I love seeing women do well on this show so I’m overcoming the pitch. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Cooper's Hawk

I wasn't even looking at the screen but I got Cooper's Hawk because of a restaurant chain around here with that name.

• Like 7
50 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I love Alison’s game play but her voice is hard for me to punch through. I love seeing women do well on this show so I’m overcoming the pitch. 

Yes. I am overly sensitive to naturally discordant voices, but I had a very dear friend with the same voice as Alison's, so I'm trying to channel my positive feelings for that friend towards Alison, who is an excellent player, has a pleasant personality, and is "cute as a bug's ear." My friend often spoke in almost whispery tones, which damped down the shrillness, but that would not work on Jeopardy!

•.¸¸.•*´¨`* •.❊.•´¨`*•.¸¸.•

13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Cooper's Hawk
apa_2015_davidshipper_coopers_hawk_kk_ju

@possibilities, was this👆 the image they showed? 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This is the bird they showed for Cooper’s Hawk. (actual screenshot, cropped)

IMG_0545.thumb.jpeg.2126bb0ae278d0b680086221735c4c59.jpeg

Definitely a Peregrine Falcon.  Definitely NOT a Cooper's Hawk.  I knew the answer from the clue, but if I'd been on the show, looking at the photo, I wouldn't have rung in, either.  I wouldn't have known which bird was the correct response!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Definitely a Peregrine Falcon.  Definitely NOT a Cooper's Hawk.  I knew the answer from the clue, but if I'd been on the show, looking at the photo, I wouldn't have rung in, either.  I wouldn't have known which bird was the correct response!

It definitely helped not to be burdened by knowledge -- it asked for the bird of prey which comes in a Cooper's variety, and I know there's a Cooper's hawk, but have never heard of a Cooper's falcon, so I had no hesitation in responding with "hawk" even though that picture didn't quite look like the hawks I occasionally see around here.  But if they indeed used the wrong photo, had Alison answered "falcon" instead of "finch" (seriously, Alison?) that would have made for an interesting situation.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But if they indeed used the wrong photo, had Alison answered "falcon" instead of "finch" (seriously, Alison?) that would have made for an interesting situation.

I feel like this would be a "throw it out and play the category's extra clue" situation. Though that only works if they realize the problem right away.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1

A Cooper's hawk used to visit my yard a lot when I was feeding birds. It's the striped tail that makes them identifiable so good thing I was listening to the clue and not looking at the screen.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I looked at the picture they put up & thought falcon because that's what it looked like to me. Thought I was going a bit senile when they said hawk. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

How is it the young people put it?

I was today years old when I learned that "hawk" and "falcon" are not two different words for the same critter.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11
On 4/12/2024 at 3:28 PM, 30 Helens said:

What’s with these quotes being misattributed? I’m so used to my own words coming out of my quote box.

😉 As you were.

I thought I copied the quote correctly, but obviously not.  I try to be careful about that when pulling a quote out of a third party's post.  Sorry for the confusion.

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got it correct, probably because I wouldn't have known the difference between a hawk and a falcon just by looking at them.  Both beautiful birds, though.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

What’s with these quotes being misattributed? I’m so used to my own words coming out of my quote box.

😉 As you were.

I thought I copied the quote correctly, but obviously not.  I try to be careful about that when pulling a quote out of a third party's post.  Sorry for the confusion.

If you're on a phone, the "easiest" [*cough*] way to quote a post within a post is to:

1. click the curved arrow and choose "Open in new tab" (or something similar with an Android) and then
    Screenshot2024-04-15at11_02_35AM.thumb.png.1a350f48d02ecdd4b834d1cc3e115ba7.png

2. copy the link for that newly opened page and
  3. Paste it into your comment:

On a laptop browser — which I find easier [*cough*]:

1. select a bit of the outer quote with the inner quote,
  2. Choose "Quote selection"
    Screenshot2024-04-15at11_14_50AM.thumb.png.6041ef7cf70d0b923aafba296b13d138.png

3. use the mouse to drag the inner quote outside of the outer quote to change this…
    19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

😉 As you were.

I thought I copied the quote correctly, but obviously not.

to this:

😉 As you were.

19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought I copied the quote correctly, but obviously not.

4. and then deleted the outer quote (in this example, proserpina65's) unless you want to include both.

I think this works on an iPad without a mouse too.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Perhaps I should post this elsewhere?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If you're on a phone, the "easiest" [*cough*] way to quote a post within a post is to:

1. click the curved arrow and choose "Open in new tab" (or something similar with an Android) and then
    Screenshot2024-04-15at11_02_35AM.thumb.png.1a350f48d02ecdd4b834d1cc3e115ba7.png

2. copy the link for that newly opened page and
  3. Paste it into your comment:

On a laptop browser — which I find easier [*cough*]:

1. select a bit of the outer quote with the inner quote,
  2. Choose "Quote selection"
    Screenshot2024-04-15at11_14_50AM.thumb.png.6041ef7cf70d0b923aafba296b13d138.png

3. use the mouse to drag the inner quote outside of the outer quote to change this…

to this:

4. and then deleted the outer quote (in this example, proserpina65's) unless you want to include both.

I think this works on an iPad without a mouse too.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.
Perhaps I should post this elsewhere?

I usually do that but apparently messed it up this time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I got it correct, probably because I wouldn't have known the difference between a hawk and a falcon just by looking at them.  Both beautiful birds, though.

I admit I was looking away from the screen but such a large percentage of conversation with my father revolves around birds that when I hear Coopers I automatically fill in hawk.

I do not automatically supply Philadelphia with vireo but I ought to have made the connection from Quakers.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I won't embarrass myself by giving my answer, but I got FJ way wrong.

I got the missed clues of Chad, Mary pickford, DH Lawrence and the B52s.

I got the entire category of health right.  

But, for final, I did pretty well tonight. I'm making a comeback, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
(edited)

April 15:

67% / 83% / 75%

First round was meh, but I only missed 5 in the second! In J I ran 3-Letter Spelling Bee, missed one in Boats and Hodgepodge, two in Voice of Television (I've never seen any of the shows (never even heard of "F is for Family" but I recognized Bill Burr), so that was pretty good), and three in Historic Americans and Places that are Also First Names. In DJ I ran Health Observances and A Love for Books, missed one each in In the Dictionary, That Band's an Institution, and "P"eople, and two in Road Scholarly.

I got FJ. I guessed it just to throw something out there. Seemed like the right time frame, I knew he was at Cambridge, but did know know he was a member of Parliament.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 9) I got harem, Archer, D.H. Lawrence, B-52s, Madness, and Jerome Powell. (Should have gotten Chad, if only because I have a cousin named Chad.)

Adam didn't even ring in once during the first round, and only 4 times in the second (but he got them all right, at least).

"You scared me half to death; how did you end up like this?"

I liked Alison's top.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I won't embarrass myself by giving my answer, but I got FJ way wrong.

I got it right! I said, it's Newton, it's always Newton. I also got Harem, Chad, Mary Pickford and Robert Peel. I was trying really, really hard to get to Lawrence through other of his works 'cause the name  would  not  come  to  me! but didn't get there in time.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I knew it was Robert but I couldn't think of the last name.

I think they were also known as Peelers at one point.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
36 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

How much money would Alison have if she didn't ring in to give stupid guesses to the band questions? 

I got very impatient with her and crossly vowed to laugh if she managed to lose her runaway lead doing that.

1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I got it right! I said, it's Newton, it's always Newton. I also got Harem, Chad, Mary Pickford and Robert Peel.

I decided to guess Newton but I was afraid I would be embarrassing myself. Whew! 

I got the rest except I thought of Chad and rejected it because for some reason I thought the category required a female name.

Also, what the hell was Ken thinking accepting Venice for Florence in that category?

• Like 4

I did not get FJ today.  My brain went to authors when I saw the category and wouldn't leave.

However, I did get the TS of harem (thank you, crossword puzzles), Mary Pickford, Powell, Madness, Grateful Dead, and The B52s.

6 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Also, what the hell was Ken thinking accepting Venice for Florence in that category?

That was insane -- and unusual for Ken to do that.  I was briefly confused, too, since I shouted out Florence when I read the clue.  Well, I shouted out Firenze, which I would hope would have been accepted.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That was insane -- and unusual for Ken to do that.  I was briefly confused, too, since I shouted out Florence when I read the clue.  Well, I shouted out Firenze, which I would hope would have been accepted.

Certainly unusual for the mistake to make it into the broadcast at any rate.

I'm not sure how they would have handled Firenze since that would not have met the requirement to be a first name as well ... maybe they would have given you a chance to give the English version?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I'm not sure how they would have handled Firenze since that would not have met the requirement to be a first name as well ... maybe they would have given you a chance to give the English version?

That's what happens when I forget the category!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

How much money would Alison have if she didn't ring in to give stupid guesses to the band questions? 

She lost $2800 on the band questions (she rang in on two and was wrong; Joshua and Adam each got one and the last was a TS but no one attempted it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Archive game for me, and from that I was a little confused as to what happened with the Venice/Florence response; I'm surprised to read it's as simple as it seemed, that Ken initially accepted the wrong city.

Goodness gracious, 13 TS.

Congratulations to Alison on another dominant win, and thanks to her for a big laugh even just reading the archive with her Foghorn Leghorn response.

If not for the TV category, I'd have only missed one in the entire first round, but I knew absolutely nothing in that one; no save by cultural osmosis this time

I ran health, dictionary, and bands, got all but one in books, and missed two each in roads and people, so that was a pretty darn good DJ.

But I didn't know FJ. 

For playing after my brain has usually retired for the night, though, I'm quite pleased.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

what the hell was Ken thinking accepting Venice for Florence in that category?

3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Does this happen more often than we know, but gets cut?
Regardless, I'm surprised it was left in. 
There was a choppiness to what we did get.

I don't gamble (it makes me anxious), but I do bet that there are sites where people are wagering how many games Alison will win.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I looked it up for funsies. Firenze is a first name in Hungarian.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't gamble (it makes me anxious), but I do bet that there are sites where people are wagering how many games Alison will win.

Not many more, I hope. I'm not entirely sure why, but I haven't been able to warm to her.

My post-Tournament drought continues. I do fine in the game rounds, but can't catch a FJ to save my life. 

I hope Podium Three's wife is proud of him, despite a lackluster performance. I feel bad for people who tank their games-- I can redeem myself tomorrow, but for actual contestants it's one and done. What terrible pressure that must be.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I looked it up for funsies. Firenze is a first name in Hungarian.

It was also the name of a centaur in the Harry Potter books.

• Like 3