Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Guidebooks! Blue Guide, Fodor's, Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, etc ...

Don't forget Rick Steves. We took him with us everywhere when we were in Europe.  Occasionally I know a J! answer from his TV shows. 

• Like 4

I still have some Fodor’s! Very outdated, but I put notes in them and take them out to reminisce every now and then. I have Googled a few places to see if they’re still around. Some are!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, ProudMary said:

On the other hand, the producers must have stopped telling contestants to read the full category name every single time. I noticed it was starting to fall by the wayside in the later tournaments. Now, it seems as if regular contestants are not reading the full category names after the first call either. I hope that means the producers have decided to let that go.

Yes, they dropped it. It was mentioned in one of the podcasts.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 4

Can’t deal with Amy’s lack of enthusiasm, her vocal fry, her completely flat affect.  I’m not surprised she wore an oatmeal colored cardigan on Friday’s show.  Any contestant who says   “bring  it” is dead to me.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And AAA!  I loved their guidebooks and TripTiks.

Yep, any place I was going to for the first time, I got a map and guide book from AAA.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I got FJ, but only because I happen to know that Puyallup is in WA and that is the only mountain i know in that state.

I got the missed clues of possession and Secretary of War.

I got the entire category of pluralize right.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Can’t deal with Amy’s lack of enthusiasm, her vocal fry, her completely flat affect.

To me it seems like she's trying to talk without moving her mouth?

I did get FJ but I was so unsure of myself.

• Like 2
(edited)

April 26:

77% / 55% / 67%

In J I ran Pluralize, missed three in Fore & After, and one each in everything else. In DJ I missed one in Pop Culture Initials and Beep-Boop-Beep, two in Poetry, and three each in the rest.

Was not at all confident but I got FJ!

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 6 plus 1 clue left behind) I got possession.

I was rooting for Dan. Amy's slowness is starting to drive me nuts, and Matt had some long pauses in there, too. Also I didn't like his shirt. What the heck is a democracy entrepreneur?

15 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I feel so out of it. Ken said, "You had to think of the Parthenon in Nashville," and all three of the contestants went "Ohhhh, yeah!"

Meanwhile, I went, "There's a Parthenon in Nashville?"

Me, too, if that makes you feel any better.

5 hours ago, opus said:

Warning- NFL Draft starts an hour earlier tonight and might muck up some of your Jeopardy TV schedules. In NYC on Ch. 7 I see it listed for 3:40 am.

Guess it's just as well that I wasn't home, then! I met my parents for dinner after work and didn't leave the restaurant until about 7:10. I just watched on youtube. Other than cutting the sound for most of Dan's interview, it was a pretty good upload.

All the guidebook talk is giving me flashbacks to maintaining the travel section at the bookstore. My dad got me a TripTik for my trip to Rhode Island for a friend's wedding in 2007.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I want to pull the words out of Amy's mouth. At least, there was only one clue left on the board, as opposed to yesterday's four. 

get there faster episode 7 GIF

I wanted to blame her completely for that, but there were a lot of unanswered questions that day.  That slows things down on its own.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 6:32 AM, MrAtoz said:

I feel so out of it. Ken said, "You had to think of the Parthenon in Nashville," and all three of the contestants went "Ohhhh, yeah!"

Meanwhile, I went, "There's a Parthenon in Nashville?"

I only know about it because of the Ken Burns' series about country music.  It gets mentioned.  And no, I did not get that FJ.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1
On 4/26/2024 at 5:57 PM, astrohip said:

Yes, they dropped it. It was mentioned in one of the podcasts.

Thank goodness.

On 4/26/2024 at 7:31 PM, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but only because I happen to know that Puyallup is in WA and that is the only mountain i know in that state.

I got it because I find volcanoes fascinating and have seen more than one show about them which talks about how catastrophic it would be if Rainier erupts.  Which it could very well do since it is dormant, not extinct.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:41 PM, possibilities said:

This game is hard on people who stammer or are otherwise slow talkers. 

I try not to judge things like that because you never know if there's something medical involved.  Like Ray and his swaying.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

April 29:

70% / 50% / 61%

In J I ran Disney Movie by Lyrics, missed one in Literature and Chronically On Line, two in Prefixes and Greater Than Less Than or Equal To, and three in Communication. In DJ I missed one in Business Anniversaries and 3 Consecutive Consonants, three in Getting Territorial and Names in American History, and four in The Louvre and Television.

Just based on "surfing" and the Hawaiian-sounding name, FJ was an instaget.

TSes: (J had 8; DJ had 5) I got Encanto (total guess, never seen it), Your Holiness (after Ferdinand got it wrong), chastity, and Freaks and Geeks.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

FJ was an instaguess.

I got the missed clues of Encanto, Less than Zero, House of Burgesses, and Freaks and Geeks.

I got the entire category of 3 consonants right.

I suppose it should be, but how many feet in a mile just isn't a $200 question to me.  That's the only one I got wrong in that category.

I had a pretty good night with the exception of communication. probably not surprising.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I suppose it should be, but how many feet in a mile just isn't a $200 question to me.  That's the only one I got wrong in that category.

I got as far as five-thousand-and-something...

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That one threw me, I was questioning whether a “statute mile” was something different from a regular mile. 

As a (regular) Virginian, I call foul that “Stanton” isn’t an alternative pronunciation for “Staunton”. Although it didn’t make any difference to the outcome. 

Also, Freaks and Geeks !

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

TSes: (J had 8; DJ had 5) I got Encanto (total guess, never seen it), Your Holiness (after Ferdinand got it wrong), chastity, and Freaks and Geeks.

I guessed Encanto after Coco was ruled out and had Your Holiness before Ferdinand bobbled it. I also got less than zero (although why Ken thought mentioning Bret Easton Ellis was a helpful explanation is beyond me; I mean I know he wrote the book the movie was based on, but is he that kind of cultural touchstone?), TKTS, Freaks and Geeks, and Mark Rylance but not chastity.

I could not think of Big Kahuna although it seemed obvious once revealed.

• Like 2

Shout out to Racine , my home town , thanks Amy!  I got a kick out of her saying “ Mah” Waukee instead of “ Mil” waukee because that’s how we say it here! 

I couldn’t believe no one knew how many feet in a mile ( tho I’m a math teacher) but statue mile???

• Like 4

Now that I'm back in the viewing groove after taking two nights off for draft coverage, it's nice to see Amy again; keep paddling away underneath the waterline, Doc.

I cannot believe 5,280 was a TS!  I would have thought they figured, even though it was only a $200 clue, a statute mile had to be something different and thus didn't know, but I didn't register any reaction from them when the correct response was revealed.  The infra(structure) TS surprised me, too, but I guess in a game with eight TS in the first round alone, it shouldn't have.

But I was off my game in that round, too, although not as bad; I didn't do quite as terribly in Disney songs as I could have, but still missed three.  I ran literature and prefixes and got all but one in lines and communication (it would have been two, as I got as far as "Your ..." for the clue about how you'd address the pope, but Ken's response to the incorrect guess of "His holiness" got me there, and whenever I haven't yet guessed and a contestant's incorrect guess clues me in, I give myself credit).

I had a pretty good DJ.  I missed three in television and two in Louvre (but I did manage to figure the "restrained virtue" in combat of love was chastity), but I ran territories, consonants, and anniversaries, and got all but one in history.

FJ was an instaguess I figured had to be correct.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I really wanted the guy in the middle (can't remember his name now) to win.  I'm so over the slow to answer/pick the category current champ.  Can't believe he didn't know big kahuna.  The poor woman on the other end never even left the starting gate, but on the few times she buzzed in, at least she didn't take forever to answer or pick a clue. 

• Like 4

Archive game for me for last night, and an instaget FJ, too.  And then I started thinking about Gidget.

I also got the TS of Your Holiness, acoustics, TKTS booth, infra, 5280, Encanto, Pierrot (although I would have spelled it with just one R), and Freaks & Geeks.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As a (regular) Virginian, I call foul that “Stanton” isn’t an alternative pronunciation for “Staunton”.

Same! 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As a (regular) Virginian, I call foul that “Stanton” isn’t an alternative pronunciation for “Staunton”. Although it didn’t make any difference to the outcome. 

Google:

• Staunton va pronunciation

and you will see the universe agrees.

I got TSs Encanto and Your Holiness, and almost got feet per mile (5,718…no…5,712…no…5,…).

I did blurt out “Big Kahuna” thanks to Mom🌺🌊🏄🏄🏾

• Like 3
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Just based on "surfing" and the Hawaiian-sounding name, FJ was an instaget.

Surfing and nickname would've given me Big Kahuna all on their own, but I also know a lot about Duke Kahanamoku and knew that was his specific nickname.

20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Encanto, Less than Zero, House of Burgesses, and Freaks and Geeks.

So did I.  Admittedly Encanto was a guess because I completely forgot about Coco.

19 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

It's an alternate pronunciation for some things using the name Staunton but it is not the correct pronunciation for Imelda Staunton's name and therefore it was absolutely right that they did not accept it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I got it kind of last minute, so proabably wouldn't have been able to write it down, but that's the advantage of being at home, I guess.

I got the missed clues of How Will I know, Puritanical, Lake Geneva, and smoke detectors.

I got the entire category of gap in your resume in the first round right, and in the second round wrong.  Kind of weird coincidence.

• Like 4

April 30:

87% / 43% / 66%

J!: Wow! In J I ran the whole right half of the board again - State Mammals, Giving Some Direction, and Cookies, missed one in A Gap on their Resumes and Ends with K, and two in Questionable Song Titles (Gen X here, too, Ken!...I guess two of them were too young and the other was too old.)

DJ: Wow, again, but in a bad way. Totally tanked in DJ. Missed two in The Gap on their Resume and three in everything else.

Had to think for a bit but I got FJ.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 8+ 1 DD) I got How Will I Know?, How Soon is Now?, Down on the Corner, right whale, Cindy Crawford, Alanis Morrisette, Missy Elliot, and Lake Geneva (DD). Surprised I got so many pop culture clues.

• Like 2

I guess I haven't picked up enough by cultural osmosis -- I did not get FJ tonight.

And the only TS I got were How Will I Know?, down on the corner, and right whale.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's an alternate pronunciation for some things using the name Staunton but it is not the correct pronunciation for Imelda Staunton's name and therefore it was absolutely right that they did not accept it.

I completely agree with you, but mentally trying to justify this led me back down the Berry/Barry spiral. For that one, as far as I am concerned are both pronounced exactly the same, I cannot hear any difference regardless of the accent, and therefore feel both spellings should have been accepted. Do people genuinely not hear the difference between Stanton and Staunton in the same way I don't hear any difference between Berry and Barry?

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Do people genuinely not hear the difference between Stanton and Staunton in the same way I don't hear any difference between Berry and Barry?

This is different from the Barry/Berry thing. In that case a large number of people hear/pronounce them both the same. In the  Staunton case, there is a city in Virginia spelled Staunton and pronounced Stanton. So some of us were arguing (maybe at least partially tongue in cheek, in my case) that when a contestant replied Stanton when the correct response was Staunton, there was Jeopardy precedent for considering it correct (based on, if you mispronounce it but it still fits the spelling…)

ETA:

Okay, the more I think about this, the more I’m inclined to double down. Say you grew up in or around Staunton, VA, read a lot but didn’t have much access to audio stuff. Why wouldn’t you think Imelda Staunton’s name was pronounced the same as your city? If you were from Lima (ly-ma) Ohio and the correct response was Lima (Lee-ma) Peru, would you be ruled incorrect if you mispronounced it? Anyway, I’m glad it didn’t affect the outcome. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 2

Good for Amy (although I'd have been happy to see Laura win, too).  So far, we just have her and Allison as guaranteed participants in the ToC, right?  And maybe the woman who won the Celebrity J! tournament (I don't know if they've said they'll again include the celebrity winner, but they should, with how she played and after inviting the previous winner)?  So far, so good!

Amy trying, with how she speaks, to emphasize the "S" at the end of "forests" and then saying "the plural" in the face of Ken's hesitation had me cringing for him to hurry up and accept it already.

And her "themselves" answer for the only people police are obliged to protect cracked me up.

A dozen TS, but I think puritanical is the only one that truly surprised me.  Still an interesting game for how evenly matched they all were until Bryan's swing and miss on the DD.

Pretty good first round for me -- I ran resume gaps, ends with "K", direction, and mammals (I'd have had no idea beyond "a right something" had Laura not given me whale) and got all but the Purim cookies (I was trying to visualize posts in the Food forum, as someone had  recently written about baking them, but I could only get as far as "ham-something").  I missed two in songs; I got the two TS and the Lion King song, but had no idea on the recent ones.

I missed three in verse, but if not for that would have had a great DJ; I got all but one each in The Gap and leaders and ran the rest (but I wouldn't have run the law category, as embarrassing as that would have been, had the airplane lavatory smoke detectors clue not been a TS -- I needed the extra time their incorrect guesses gave me to suss that one out).

FJ took a while to come to me, but it finally did.  I'm not sure I'd have had time to write it down, but let's just say I would have.

It doesn't matter to the final result, but it's iffy Ken saying he can make out Bryan's whole response; based on what they've previously ruled as an incomplete writing in FJ, the alleged legibility of the "T" at the end of "mutant" is a stretch.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And her "themselves" answer for the only people police are obliged to protect cracked me up.

I loved that.

I took a shine to Laura. If they decide to do more invitationals, 2nd chances, etc. I hope they bring her back. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, the more I think about this, the more I’m inclined to double down. Say you grew up in or around Staunton, VA, read a lot but didn’t have much access to audio stuff. Why wouldn’t you think Imelda Staunton’s name was pronounced the same as your city?

I'm with you on that one -- it seems to be a "reading vocabulary" vs "speaking vocabulary" issue.  I've never heard Imelda Staunton's name pronounced (not too familiar with her work), and I'd have had to take a guess at it, since I AM familiar with Staunton, VA.

As for Berry/Barry?  I hear & pronounce those with a slight difference, but I know that many people don't.  Same as Mary/Merry/Marry.  I pronounce my first name that exact same way that I wish you a Merry Christmas.  Marry and Barry have just a little more "short a -- aah" back of the throat sound than the "short e -- eh" sound of Mary/Merry/Berry.

Hey, at least no one called yesterday's FJ guy a "Big Cojone!"  You don't know how many people I've met who seem to think "Cojones" is spelled/pronounced "Kahunas"!  Ummm, nope, totally different things there 😆

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I instantly sang🎶 "Down on the corner…" for the GIVING SOME DIRECTION for $600 TS:
“In a CCR song, it's where Willy & the poor boys are playing ‘out in the street’”

Anyone else?🎵

I almost got distracted by the "burden of [Art History] knowledge" in last night's FJ clue:
"Maybe because he was too Baroque, Bernini was rejected as a name for a member of this group created in 1983,"
but re-focused onto the category of "FICTIONAL GROUPS" and the date of 1983 in time to blurt out Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles before the Think music stopped, which always counted as a win for my family.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, the more I think about this, the more I’m inclined to double down. Say you grew up in or around Staunton, VA, read a lot but didn’t have much access to audio stuff. Why wouldn’t you think Imelda Staunton’s name was pronounced the same as your city?

We have some unusual pronunciations in Virginia.  We have a Buchanan County (and a town, but the town of Buchanan is not in Buchanan County), but it's pronounced, "Buck-canon," not "Byu-canon," like the President.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I instantly sang🎶 "Down on the corner…" for the GIVING SOME DIRECTION for $600 TS:
“In a CCR song, it's where Willy & the poor boys are playing ‘out in the street’”

Anyone else?🎵

Of course!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

but re-focused onto the category of "FICTIONAL GROUPS" and the date of 1983

That's what got me there, too. I was trying to think if I knew anything about when Bernini lived before thinking to check the category, which I hadn't really registered.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I should have gotten the Turtles, but didn't. My immediate association for "Baroque" is music, not art, so I was trying to think of some fictional 80s group that had something to do with classical musicians. Like, Mozart and the Viennese Crusaders, or something like that? Needless to say, that didn't get me to Leo, Donnie, Mikey and Raph.  

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

two in Questionable Song Titles (Gen X here, too, Ken!...I guess two of them were too young and the other was too old.)

Also Gen X and while I didn't get the two recent-ish song titles (Thank you, next was the only Ariana Grande song which came to mind but I knew it wasn't correct), I did get How Will I Know and How Soon is Now.  And Can You Feel the Love Tonight, but that's not a Gen X song release.  I've always preferred I Wanna Dance With Somebody to How Will I Know, but that era Whitney Houston is the only Whitney I like.  I'm surprised none of the contestants knew that one since it was a pretty popular song which still gets a lot of airplay on pop stations.  Not so surprised about How Soon is Now since the Smiths were always a bit more alternative.

Not a great game for me, although FJ was an instaget.  The kids I babysat in my early 20s loved the Ninja Turtles.  I ran only 3 categories: Mammals, Direction and African Leaders.  And I got all but one clue in Cookies, "K", World and Words.

I did get a decent number of stumpers, though: the aforementioned How Will I Know and How Soon is Now, right whale, Down on the Corner, puritanical, Alanis Morissette and Lake Geneva.  Should've gotten Cindy Crawford but said Christie Brinkley instead.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

Do people genuinely not hear the difference between Stanton and Staunton in the same way I don't hear any difference between Berry and Barry?

Idk, I hear it loud and clear.  Less so with Berry/Barry.  I am aware that Staunton, Virginia is pronounced "Stanton" but I know that Imelda Staunton's name is not pronounced that way.  I suppose if one has never heard her name and only seen it written, one might not realize the difference.  But Stanton is NOT the correct pronunciation in this case and absolutely should not have been accepted.  So I'm glad it wasn't.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

(Thank you, next was the only Ariana Grande song which came to mind but I knew it wasn't correct)

I couldn't have named an Ariana Grande song if my life depended on it. The only Barbie movie song I know is the Ken song and that's only because I saw the Oscars performance on youtube.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, Katy M said:

I suppose it should be, but how many feet in a mile just isn't a $200 question to me.

I hadn't a clue when it came to that one, but the mister just rattled it off like it was no big deal. Kinda ticked me off...

On 4/29/2024 at 7:35 PM, Bastet said:

Now that I'm back in the viewing groove after taking two nights off for draft coverage, it's nice to see Amy again; keep paddling away underneath the waterline, Doc.

It occurred to me, after reading this, that she's exactly what she should be as an ER doc. Calm, not particularly expressive on the outside, while her mind runs a mile a minute figuring out how to help the patients that come in. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else?🎵

Thank goodness it wasn't on Lake Superior, or you KNOW what song we'd be singing. LOL.

When I think about CCR songs, I'm surprised I don't own any records (CDs? mp3s?) of theirs. I've always enjoyed singing along with them.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thank goodness it wasn't on Lake Superior, or you KNOW what song we'd be singing. LOL.

I'm stumped. All my Google-fu only came up with this: 

• LOL 1

I considered NASA, but went with CIA.

I got the missed clues of Bob's your uncle, Thomas Pyncheon, metrology (never heard of it), and Emerson (after Thoreau).

• Like 1
(edited)

May 1:

57% / 57% / 56%

Ugh,. The only thing I can say about my score tonight is it was consistent. In J I missed one in 16th Century and "All", two in Yachts and Batman, three in Black, and four in City Parks. In DJ I didn't even get any until the 7th clue; missed one in Repetition, two in Britspeak, Kiss & Tell, and Redone-Dancy, and three in Writers and Ologies. No clue for FJ, either.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 9 + both DDs) I got Hall & Oates and Emerson.

I was rooting for Nils. I like his cookbook club, even though I don't really cook.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2