Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

OMG. It's a short movie, too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5864378/

I didn't watch the rest of the show - I was reading about the Scary Ham.

Note for Chicagoans: Bill Kurtis narrated it!! I scrolled down the IMDb page and in the trivia section someone already added Ellen’s Jeopardy episode.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I love the scary ham story!  And now I want to see the movie.

But alas, I did not get FJ tonight.

I did get several TS, including Empire, thistle, The Magic Flute, Project Hail Mary, wherefore art thou Romeo?, Bobby Boucher, Percival Everett, and why has thou forsaken me?

• Like 2

I blew TV entirely; I don't watch any of the shows and cultural osmosis failed me.  If not for that, it would have been a good first round; I got everything else besides Bad Bunny, The Magic Flute, and Dome of the Rock.

I did fairly well in DJ; I ran questions (timely, since someone had recently asked about that type of response) and medical, got all but hourglass in silent letters, and missed two each in the rest.

After two instagets in a row, I had predicted I'd blow FJ entirely tonight, but I eventually settled on the right answer (I was torn between Angola and Mozambique).

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I'm behind as I have found the combination of Masters and regular Jeopardy to be too much. Last night I sat down to catch up with Friday's episode and was shocked that they accepted Antoinette for Marie Antoinette. That's ... not her surname. I suppose it made no difference in the end but it kind of chapped my hide. At least they corrected the elixir of life.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I'm behind as I have found the combination of Masters and regular Jeopardy to be too much.

It's way too much!!!  I save Masters for the weekend.

10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Last night I sat down to catch up with Friday's episode and was shocked that they accepted Antoinette for Marie Antoinette.

I forgot about that!  That is shocking.  I liked Grant, but one of my many Jeopardy pet peeves is using 'What is...?" for a person.  It should be "Who is...?"

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

but one of my many Jeopardy pet peeves is using 'What is...?" for a person.  It should be "Who is...?"

If you're being graded for grammar, yes. In the J! world, as long as it's in the form of a question, no. I realize it annoys some people, but that's the way it is.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

If you're being graded for grammar, yes. In the J! world, as long as it's in the form of a question, no. I realize it annoys some people, but that's the way it is.

I know that's the way it is, I was just expressing my distaste.

• Like 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I'm behind as I have found the combination of Masters and regular Jeopardy to be too much. Last night I sat down to catch up with Friday's episode and was shocked that they accepted Antoinette for Marie Antoinette. That's ... not her surname. I suppose it made no difference in the end but it kind of chapped my hide. At least they corrected the elixir of life.

I was bothered by the Antoinette acceptance for the same reason.

2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It's way too much!!!  I save Masters for the weekend.

We do too - and we're so far behind (so many games!) that I'm sure to be spoiled before we finish. Sometimes we watch them with lunch (we're retired).

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We've often wondered if you can get buy with enunciating it as a question (with the rise at the end), and whether they'd accept "Is it [answer]?"

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We've often wondered if you can get buy with enunciating it as a question (with the rise at the end), and whether they'd accept "Is it [answer]"

"Is it [response]" is a question, so sure.
But "[Response]?" would only fly in French Jeopardy!, IIRC.

I don't do Horror, so no FJ for me Tuesday, and I had the wrong country yesterday.

Tuesday I knew the TS of Mauna Kea (of course).
But I went with just "La Leche" (without the "League") which still fits the category of AN ORGANIZATION WITH ALLITERATION, but probably wouldn't count, or would it?

Yesterday (Wednesday) I was surprised Hourglass was a TS since it was an instaget for Sleepy shapeshifter.
Likewise, I insta-intoned: "Why hast thou forsaken me?" and was surprised when Chris modernized it — which later cost him $2K and probably the game. 

But Amar seemed pretty sharp and has a nice smile, so I'm interested to see if he will go far.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But I went with just "La Leche" (without the "League") which still fits the category of AN ORGANIZATION WITH ALLITERATION, but probably wouldn't count, or would it?

I also left off League but I'm taking it as a ts. 

Likewise, I insta-intoned: "Why hast thou forsaken me?" and was surprised when Chris modernized it — which later cost him $2K and probably the game. 

I was very surprised Chris misquoted it and wasn't surprised they took it away from him.

I did get FJ - that's 3/3 for me this week, a rare event. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, Trey said:

I was very surprised Chris misquoted it and wasn't surprised they took it away from him.

Especially since they specified the King James Version.

• Like 6

I thought it was bullshit to require people to read and quote the King James translation. Plenty of people know the verse from other versions, and it's all the same thing. 

I liked Ellen's shirt.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

and why has thou forsaken me?

I loved that they went back and dinged Chris for that one.  Whatever one might think of the bible (and I think little of it), the King James' version has a lot of beautiful language in it.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I eventually settled on the right answer (I was torn between Angola and Mozambique).

I was pretty certain it was Angola.  I remember several of the players on their 2006 World Cup team being Portuguese players whose parents or grandparents had been born in Angola.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yesterday (Wednesday) I was surprised Hourglass was a TS since it was an instaget for Sleepy shapeshifter.

For some reason I didn't think of the h being a silent letter in that.  I mean, it is, obviously, but it just didn't connect in my brain.

42 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I thought it was bullshit to require people to read and quote the King James translation. Plenty of people know the verse from other versions, and it's all the same thing. 

They specified the King James version in the clue, so it was very much not bullshit to require the answer to use the phrasing from that translation.  Had it not been specified, then it would've been fine to quote more recent versions. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I initially just said La Leche, but with all the time he took to spit something out I had plenty of time to tack on League.  I wouldn't accept just La Leche, because, while it fits the alliteration from the category, leaving off League means the response doesn't fulfill the "name that combines English & Spanish" part of the clue.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Especially since they specified the King James Version.

I can't tell you which version of the Bible anything is from, as I do well to know something from any bible in the first place, so that they specified King James isn't what got me there -- it's just luck that "an anguished question" brought that one to mind, and the only way I've ever heard it is as "hast thou".  So it sounded odd to me the way Chris said it and I was surprised that was correct (and then not surprised when the ruling was reversed).

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

We've often wondered if you can get buy with enunciating it as a question (with the rise at the end), and whether they'd accept "Is it [answer]?"

The latter, definitely; it just happened on Masters last night, and I am almost positive it has occurred during the regular show previously.  The former, no (at least I'd hope not; I can't specifically remember it happening and being rejected, but upspeak should not count as in the form of a question).

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Whatever one might think of the bible (and I think little of it), the King James' version has a lot of beautiful language in it.

I made sure that the King James version of both the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm were used at my parents' memorial services because I like the language.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They specified the King James version in the clue,

I know. And I consider that to be some bullshit. I wish they hadn't done it that way. 

• Like 3
(edited)

May 23:

83% / 53% / 69%

Pretty good first round. Ran Lit Titles by the Numbers, Taglines of Real Housewives, and "Stop" the Presses, missed one in It's a Plane and Money, and three in 2 for the Show.

Not good second round. Missed one in Men of Science and Signature Songs, two in Mistaken Identity, three in Congress and Name the Expression, and four in Where in "The" World.

Wasn't super confident but I got FJ (waffled between Sea of Galilee and the Red Sea but settled on the correct one).

TSes: (J had 8 + the DD; DJ had 8 + both DDs) I got 206 bones, florin (DD), Australia, The House of the Seven Gables, The Blob, trophy wife, 50 Shades of Grey (took me a second to place the author's name), superconductor, on the fritz (DD), and Voyager.

This was a rough game. It looks like Amar had a huge surge until you realize the graph only goes up to $9K.

image.png.c58db324e680cd00e8a9a68679275919.png

I didn't have strong feelings either way but I was kind of rooting for either of the guys to win.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I did not get FJ.  But I got quite a few of the so many TS, including 206 bones, House of Seven Gables, The Blob, trophy wife, Jimmy Stewart, The Dardanelles, Volstead Act, and Uther Pendragon. 

It made me very sad that Jimmy Stewart was a TS.  

• Like 7

Woohoo, podcasts pay off. I’ve listened to a series about the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum heist and that was enough to put Rembrandt and the Sea of Galilee in my consciousness. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

For some reason I didn't think of the h being a silent letter in that.  I mean, it is, obviously, but it just didn't connect in my brain.

Is it?

I spent a good 5 minutes saying "our" and "hour" in various contexts/sentences, and I do pronounce them differently at the beginning.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Is it?

I spent a good 5 minutes saying "our" and "hour" in various contexts/sentences, and I do pronounce them differently at the beginning.

I felt a little vindicated when Ken pronounced Wales and whales very slightly differently (was that in Masters or regular J!?) but even I can’t hear a difference between our and hour!

• Like 5

This was a combination of watching while paying partial attention to a phone call and then later checking the archive to fill in the blanks.

LOL at "It's maybe good that you haven't read 50 Shades of Grey" and Brendan's "Definitely not" response.  Yeah, I'm always going to be fine with missing clues about that book. 

I also got a chuckle at The Ooze for The Blob.  And a smile at the film being the subject of a clue; I loved that movie as a kid, watching it whenever it was on TV, and my grandma - my favorite person in the world who died when I was only six - was the person who'd watch that ridiculous film with me every time it did.

I object -- the song title is "Loser", not "I'm a Loser".

Also, it's not just the Los Angeles stretch of I-5 that's referred to as "the 5"; that's a broader southern CA thing to call freeways "the [#]".

The Jimmy Stewart TS was a bummer.  I'm surprised no one figured out trophy wife.  No one knowing rob Peter to pay Paul was also unexpected; I know it was the first clue uncovered in that category, but the text of the clue specified "there are 2 names". 

The three TS in lit all stumped me, too.  If not for that, I'd have had a great first round; I ran planes, "stop", and taglines (thankfully, I didn't need to watch the shows or have learned about them via cultural osmosis; they were all obvious to me), and got all but the missed DD of florin in money and the Mia Goth TS in movies.

I did well in DJ.  I only ran science, but got all but rich as Croesus in expressions, all but Paramore in songs, and all but the Volstead Act TS in Congress (that one was lurking somewhere in my brain, but I couldn't drag it out).  I missed two each in the others.

No idea for FJ, though; it was one of those times where I only knew it was something biblical and didn't even feel like guessing.

• Like 4

Was I the only one who was yelling at the tv for them to pick an easier clue? James can use this strategy they could not. I'm surprised they all made Final Jeopardy.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It made me very sad that Jimmy Stewart was a TS.

Not only for Jimmy Stewart's sake, but how could they not know either of two Hitchcock classics? My response to that, shouted from the kitchen where I was making dinner, was "Dead to me!"

Brendon not only lost me with that, but with his pearl-clutching over "50 Shades of Gray". I haven't read it either, but I wouldn't be horrified if Ken jokingly suggested I might have.

I got FJ, although it was a total guess. Sometimes lack of knowledge can be a help, since all I could do was wonder, "what's a sea in the Bible? Umm, Galilee?" (Upon further reflection, I guess I should have thought of the Red Sea, too, what with the parting by Moses and all, but it never entered my mind.)

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

… watching while paying partial attention…and then later checking the archive…I also got a chuckle at The Ooze for The Blob.  And a smile at the film being the subject of a clue; I loved that movie as a kid, watching it whenever it was on TV, and my grandma - my favorite person in the world who died when I was only six - was the person who'd watch that ridiculous film with me every time it did.

I too was only paying partial attention, soThe Blob was my only TS instaget, but there were a few other TSs I might have known.
I would have loved to watch The Blob with you and your Grandma.

I did get FJ.

• Like 4

Many years of church and Sunday school gave me FJ. Glad to know it was good for something. Kept me from getting a goose egg for the week.

The town I grew up in and the next nearest town were too small to have a movie theater. The nearest movie theater was in Phoenixville, PA. The exterior of that theater was filmed for The Blob (1958). 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Well, that game yesterday was weird, IMO.  Even Ken finally said something to the effect of pick something any of you can answer, not in those exact words, but I think he wanted to.  Loved The Blob.  I grew up in the 50's, and saw a lot of those "B" horror movies.  I later found out it was filmed here in Louisiana, not far from where I live.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I later found out it was filmed here in Louisiana, not far from where I live.  

The 1988 remake of The Blob was filmed in Louisiana. The original 1958 The Blob was filmed in various locations in Pennsylvania, near where I grew up.

1958 The Blob

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

The Blob is a better movie than it has any right to be, mostly because of the acting of young Steve McQueen (so young he was still billed as "Steven" McQueen). His girlfriend was played by Aneta Corsaut--Helen Crump herself, from The Andy Griffith Show!

I, too, was dismayed by the substitution of Cary Grant for Jimmy Stewart. I guess all those old-timey movie actors blend together for these whippersnappers today. At least Cary Grant was also in several Hitchcock movies, so you can see the connection.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

LOL at "It's maybe good that you haven't read 50 Shades of Grey" and Brendan's "Definitely not" response.  Yeah, I'm always going to be fine with missing clues about that book. 

I work for a bookseller and was in the supply chain department when those books came out. One of our managers got a case of the first book from the publisher and gave a copy to all the women in the department. The rest were left in the kitchen for anyone to take. The next morning I was making my tea and there was one copy left on the table, at the end closest to the doorway. I was in there alone, on the other side of the room, and turned away for a few seconds to get milk from the fridge, and when I turned back the book was gone. I did not even hear anyone approaching in the hallway, let alone enter the room and leave.

She later got cases of the other two books so we all got a set. I never took them home and eventually left them in the freebie room. I flipped through my friend's copy one day while waiting for her to go to lunch, and the few random paragraphs I read were terribly written. Based on that and what I know of the story, there is no way in hell I'm ever going to read them. (They came up once in conversation at my parents, possibly from a Jeopardy clue, and I said I had them at work. My mom asked if she could read them. I said no.)

However, I do have a copy of the 50 Shades of Chicken parody cookbook, by F.L. Fowler (which I also got as a freebie, I think at BookExpo America). 😄 

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I got FJ, although it was a total guess. Sometimes lack of knowledge can be a help, since all I could do was wonder, "what's a sea in the Bible? Umm, Galilee?" (Upon further reflection, I guess I should have thought of the Red Sea, too, what with the parting by Moses and all, but it never entered my mind.)

That was pretty much my thought process, too. I did think of Moses parting the Red Sea, though. Went with my first guess, thankfully.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 9:21 AM, shapeshifter said:

"Is it [response]" is a question, so sure.
But "[Response]?" would only fly in French Jeopardy!, IIRC.

-----

French Jeopardy...LOL

I got as far as "sand" and hand gestures for the shape, but couldn't get hourglass in time. Last night I couldn't keep the categories straight - so that hindered me (is my excuse any time I do badly).

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

This is embarrassing. This is the first time I've connected the Red sea with Moses, despite being able to identify it without any problem. Not raised by religious parents, and am not religious.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I, too, was dismayed by the substitution of Cary Grant for Jimmy Stewart. I guess all those old-timey movie actors blend together for these whippersnappers today. At least Cary Grant was also in several Hitchcock movies, so you can see the connection.

I could never substitute Cary Grant for Jimmy Stewart, but then I'm no whippersnapper. I mean, I can't recognize Doja Cat or Bad Bunny...

As for the King James version of the bible - it's been around since 1611, so it's the most widely read version, I'd imagine, though not necessarily in this day and time. I've always thought the language was beautiful, and modern translations are kind of dull. Then again, see "not religious" above. More of an English major. :)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 7
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

he 1988 remake of The Blob was filmed in Louisiana. The original 1958 The Blob was filmed in various locations in Pennsylvania, near where I grew up.

Thanks for the correction.  I have never seen the remake.  The first one was pretty scary to a 9 year old child.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I flipped through my friend's copy one day while waiting for her to go to lunch, and the few random paragraphs I read were terribly written. Based on that and what I know of the story, there is no way in hell I'm ever going to read them.

Similarly, I had heard all the hoopla about the book but it hadn't interested me. I was browsing at Barnes & Noble one day and saw a copy on a display table. It was already in paperback, so perhaps the second and/or third book(s) had already been released. I picked up the book and opened it to a random page about 50 pages in. The two paragraphs I read were loaded with grammatical and spelling errors. Forget about critical editing; I wondered if anyone had even proofread this sorry excuse of a book!

I honestly don't understand how anyone can read books that are poorly written. It's such a waste of time.

• Like 8
38 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

It was already in paperback, so perhaps the second and/or third book(s) had already been released.

I think it actually came out in paperback first; all three have publication dates of April 2012. There are hardcovers of 1 and 3 (oddly, B&N's website does not have a hardcover option on the second book) but they were published in January 2013.

I was waiting for a friend one day at my old store and the source material, aka Twilight, was on a display at the customer service desk, so I read the first page (which is really only about half a page)...didn't get any further than that. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

French Jeopardy...LOL

I got as far as "sand" and hand gestures for the shape, but couldn't get hourglass in time. Last night I couldn't keep the categories straight - so that hindered me (is my excuse any time I do badly).

This is embarrassing. This is the first time I've connected the Red sea with Moses, despite being able to identify it without any problem. Not raised by religious parents, and am not religious.

I could never substitute Cary Grant for Jimmy Stewart, but then I'm no whippersnapper. I mean, I can't recognize Doja Cat or Bad Bunny...

As for the King James version of the bible - it's been around since 1611, so it's the most widely read version, I'd imagine, though not necessarily in this day and time. I've always thought the language was beautiful, and modern translations are kind of dull. Then again, see "not religious" above. More of an English major. :)

Pop culture is different for every generation. I have five nephews and nieces ranging in age from 30 to 18. They wouldn't have a clue about things that were popular when I was growing up like Schoolhouse Rock. I wouldn't know about things they like so I can't blame the contestants for  not knowing Jimmy Stewart.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I can't blame the contestants for  not knowing Jimmy Stewart.

I can.  Prospective contestants need to do a lot of studying, so they should have a basic background in Shakespeare, classic movies and books, etc.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

May 24:

57% / 43% / 50%

Terrible game…in J! I ran Your First Concert, one in Verify Your Identity, two in Crossword Clues "2", three in Literary Similes and Date of Birth, and four in Mother's Maiden Name.

In DJ I missed two in Up in the Air, American History, and Rambling Words, three in Indigenous Actors & Actresses and British Parliament, and (unsurprisingly) completely failed Geographic Anagrams.

But FJ was an instaget, so yay me for somewhat redeeming my English degree.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 10 + 1 DD) I got Phish (my cousin's wife is a big Phish fan and is instilling that in their almost-10-year-old son; he's probably been to more Phish concerts than I have been to concerts), 2-factor, Bitcoin (I know they gave him "blockchain" later but I'm keeping it, though I will admit I got it at the last second after he said blockchain), verbose, and lob.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I had  a terrible game.

I said Canterbury Tales for Final. it made sense to me. Here are tales.  Listen.

I got the missed clues of Milhouse, Phish, David Lee Roth, bitcoin, Lima/Mali, Arno//Oran, Mesa/Ames, verbose, and lob.

That list makes it look like I had a good game, but I think they just missed a LOT.

• Like 5

Almost instaget FJ for me tonight.  And I got quite a few of the many TS, including 2-factor, Milhous, David Lee Roth, lob, frigate bird, Chief Bromden, Chief Joseph, and Mesa/Ames.  I got Arno, but had no idea what the other half of that anagram pair was.

I don't think I'd like Van Halen with either Sam Kinison or Eddie Vedder.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Other than a mop of similarly frizzy yellowish hair, I can't think of one thing that would cause someone to mistake Sam Kinison for David Lee Roth. That response made me laugh. Hard.

Another correct guess for me in FJ. This turned out to be a shockingly good week for me, 4/5! I don't even care that half were total guesses, I'm claiming them anyway.

16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As for the King James version of the bible - it's been around since 1611, so it's the most widely read version, I'd imagine, though not necessarily in this day and time. I've always thought the language was beautiful, and modern translations are kind of dull.

I don't really understand doing modern translations of the Bible. I mean, I do, accessibility and comprehension and all that, but shouldn't part of learning a historic work be reading it in the way it was first presented? Or as close to it as you can get? Nobody's plain-writing Shakespeare to make it easier to understand. (Well, not unless you count various movie adaptations, but those are not direct translations.) Just imagine "The Taming of the Shrew, the E.L. James version."

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I don't really understand doing modern translations of the Bible. I mean, I do, accessibility and comprehension and all that, but shouldn't part of learning a historic work be reading it in the way it was first presented? Or as close to it as you can get? Nobody's plain-writing Shakespeare to make it easier to understand. (Well, not unless you count various movie adaptations, but those are not direct translations.) Just imagine "The Taming of the Shrew, the E.L. James version."

The KJV was translated with political considerations, and was itself a modern translation for its time (see wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version and kingjamesbibletranslators.org/bios).
Of course, its beauty of language is still recognized, and it has endured in popular culture through such 20th century films as the The Robe, which I'd wager all of my marbles on having included in the script the correct response for the Wednesday, May 22, 2024, IT'S ALREADY IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION! $2,000 clue of “Why hast thou forsaken me?”

If this hasn't exhausted (in every sense of the word) the thirst for such discussion of everyone here, maybe take it to the Small Talk thread? Or here's okay too, since it could be relevant to future clues and responses. Or, on the third hand, further discussion could go to Small Talk where it might be easier to locate later if it comes up again for a J! bible clue.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1