Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

That was one wicked hard FJ.  I think the only way to get it was either know enough Italian or know a lot about Monticello.  Neither of those applied to me, so I was stuck trying to come up with towns near Florence and all I had was Siena and San Gimignano, both of which I knew were incorrect.

I was sort of rooting for Jesse but would've been fine with any of the three winning, so yay, Deb!

• Like 4

Other than FJ I did pretty well.  Ran 40 Years Ago (no, 1984 can't be that long ago!!!!), Advertising Slogans, From Page To Scream and How Many Times.  Got all but one clue in World Capitals, Literary Subtitles, New Word, Brit Speak, Dance and Before WWI.  The stumpers I got were Slaughterhouse 5 (if it's Vonnegut, it's almost always Slaughterhouse 5), John Belushi, Scott Hamilton, Cheez It, Henry James, liquor store, bounce the ball and Sultan.

Somehow instead of Zagreb I came up with Ulan Bator; Mongols clearly made me think of Mongolia but not someplace they'd have attacked.

The Brit Speak clue I missed was Constable.  Between my admiration for his work and my having seen every episode of Midsomer Murders, I should've gotten that one but no, I said "bobby" instead.  Oy.  Also, I shouldn't have missed Cotswolds in the Dance category but I could not pull that out of my brain.

1984 was my very first election since I'd turned 18 the year before.  So I never miss Walter Mondale clues because he is the first candidate for whom I ever voted.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'll have to check that out!

I also like Worldle (https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/ ) and its companions of Statele and Flagle (and Angle!). And Globle/capitals. They keep updating them to add more data points, like population, area (size), and languages spoken.

This is the actual link (I added an "s" that shouldn't be there)

I like it because I find I do better memorizing stuff with maps than I do with lists. I seek out the maps on this site - there are plenty of list quizzes as well.

• Useful 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I bookmark them in a folder labeled "games".

I have a folder for each day of the week with links to specific sporcle quizzes (generally themed by continent). My husband and I compete each day with Wordle, Quordle, and Octordle. He's much better than I am. He likes crosswords and other types of puzzles that I can't stand, so this is where we meet in the middle. (for fun, we also do Heardle - 50s-90s.)

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

They probably didn't even look too closely at the picture when the clue was read, or pay attention that it was the winter Olympics, just thinking 1984 US Olympic gold = Mary Lou Retton.  A glance at a somewhat fuzzy (due to lack of glasses) picture of a short-haired brunette may have simply served as erroneous confirmation.

Being short sighted, I agree that they'd blur and someone could come up with Mary Lou instead. Did give us quite a laugh on our couch though.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

I've never seen as much hugging on J! as there's been lately! But I am enjoying the group hugs 🤗

I guess that means covid protocols have been more or less suspended (aside from still having the separated podiums).

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I guess that means covid protocols have been more or less suspended (aside from still having the separated podiums).

That's probably true, though I don't think it's wise (unless they're testing), but I had attributed it to the players getting to know each other by being in repeat games together during the tournament. 

• Like 2

I could have sat here all night and never come up with even the merest hint of a clue for FJ tonight.  Nothing at all about that clue led me anywhere.

However, I did get quite a few TS, including witty city ditty, Mrs. Roper, Tyler Perry, Partridge Family, French trench stench, Hiccup, and The Neverending Story.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

The best I can say is that I did get at least one right in every category.

The best I can say is I got one right in the entire game!  They’ve made things tougher for the TOC. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Left out a word. Par for the course.
  • Like 7

February 23:

73% / 47% / 59%

Again, okay J! and terrible DJ. Ran nothing; in J! I missed one in 1960s Fiction, TV Comedy, Election Lingo, and Triple Rhyme Time, and two in Sleep-Pourri and Condiments. In DJ I missed one in That Building has Great Bones, two in Judges and 2020s & 1920s Slang, three in The American Revolution Era, and four in Pop Culture Dragons (I knew the movie but didn't get to Hiccup in time or I would have had one more) and Quick Geo.

No clue for FJ but I did get all the Daily Doubles.

TSes: (J had 8 + the DD; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got The Partridge Family, Tyler Perry, a French trench stench, a witty city ditty, Lexington, and The NeverEnding Story.

• Like 3

That was hard!! I actually forgot this was the first TOC game (my DVR has been cutting off the first 30 sec or so of every game and I miss the intros), so at least now I have an excuse for my pitiful performance. 

Triple Rhyme Time was especially confusing. I could get two, but I kept getting lost on the way to the third. And I hate* to revive the old pronunciation debate, but moll/brawl/bawl was unfair for those of us who say “moll” the correct way: “mahl”, as in “Molly”. Those other two words don’t rhyme. 

*no, I don’t. Not really. 😈

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
On 2/23/2024 at 9:24 AM, ams1001 said:

That would mean I'd turn 49 this year and that just can't be right.

Trust me, 20 years from now you'll remember how young you were this year!

16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The best I can say is I got one right in the entire game!  They’ve made things tougher for the TOC. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Ah...so I have an excuse! LOL.

• Like 5

I'm bumping this thread up since the TOC is over and I assume that discussions about the Invitational tournament will go on here as it has for all other non-TOC competitions. It will be nice when we finally get back to regular games.

• Like 12
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It will be nice when we finally get back to regular games.

From your lips to the Powers That Be's ears!!!  Gawd I am sooooooo sick of tournaments.

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Love 1

March 20:

57% / 37% / 46%

I guess I need to maintain my lowered expectations from the TOC for this tournament…. In J! I missed one in First Names and Books, two in Historic 1990s and Mission: Plausible, three in Wheaties Athletes, and four in Vocabulary of Ice Ice Baby. In DJ I missed two in Big Country and Violent Art, three in Chemistry, and four in everything else. No clue for FJ. But I was rooting for Andrew, so at least I get a win there. Also I liked Pam's top.

TSes: (J had 3 + the DD; DJ had 3) I got none of 'em.

Andrew is a "celebrity parent"! Wouldn't it be funny if there was a celeb J! player who was only a celeb because they were on J!...

More mountain climbing...

image.png.a0d9df3909f718b4d2f3a04c78782871.png

• Like 4

Once again I had a misleading first round and it went swiftly downhill from there.

All I could think of in final was that Sochi was in Russia and probably the Chicago 7 was the connector.  Obviously I got nowhere.

I got the missed clue of egopher.

• Like 3

I loved Pam's shirt. I wanted her to win solely so I could see what else she has in her wardrobe.

I noticed they didn't say the full name of the categories, and when continuing in the same category, sometimes almost didn't say the name at all. The J! culture has changed over time so much!

• Like 9

Got FJ today! First thought of the plane crash with Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and JP Richardson, and couldn't think of anything analogous in the Soviet world. Then focused on "trailblazers", thought of Gagarin and remembered that he died in a plane crash so went with that. Happy for Andrew winning, though Pam certainly made him work for it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
17 minutes ago, Bliss said:

My new fave word: thumbrella ;-)

It’s not bad, but I’m sticking with smorgasbordello. (It’s a joke :-) !)

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)

I remember Pam (and, of course, Andrew), but Dan's most-recent appearance is too far back for my aging brain.

I'm glad Pam quoted "While my DJ revolves it" about the hook clue, because I had that in my head something fierce.  I was rooting for her (I've never disliked Andrew, but always liked someone more), but after Andrew hit it big with one DD after another in DJ, I had no hope.  And then she made it interesting right up through FJ.

I ran '90s and athletes, got all but one in mission and Ice Ice Baby, and missed two each in books and names, so I guess that's a decent first round for a game with this caliber of contestants.

Not so much in DJ.  I didn't run anything, and only got close in newspapers and overlaps.  I missed two each in chemistry and countries, and three each in directing brothers and art.

But I did get FJ.  Sochi first made me think of the Olympics, but just as soon as I did I realized the year meant that wasn't it.  Readjusting my thinking cap, the year + Russia + six + somehow similar to famous earlier group of Americans = oh, the original cosmonauts as opposed to the original seven astronauts.  Okay, but which cosmonaut; I didn't know any had died in a plane crash, but, quite frankly, can only name three:  Yuri Gagarin, Valentina Tereshkova, and Laika (well, with her it's often "that poor dog, Latka, no, that's not it" but I usually get to Laika).  So I'm not burdened by knowledge, plus I doubt based on experience J! ever asks about any other than those three; the only "he" of those is Gagarin, so it had to be him.  So, certainly not an instaget, but I was sure of it by the time I got there.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

I loved this game. If you watch on Channel 4 in Boston Jeopardy will be on Channel 38 tomorrow and Friday due to March Madness. This will happen next week as well.

I had no idea Yuri Gagarin died in a plane crash! I also said Dag Hammarskjöld, after being totally stumped by what “Sochi 6” meant. All I could think of was the Chicago 7 but knew that couldn’t be right since the trial was after 1968, and finally just said a name of an international person who died in a plane crash. Mercury 7 of course! That makes so much more sense.

• Like 3

I wonder what Lucas Partridge thinks about all these tournaments. For those who don't remember (I certainly didn't, I had to look him up), he was the reigning champ at the end of season 39.  When regular play resumes, he will have waited nearly a year between games.  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

There aren't going to be enough players to even qualify for a tournament next year 😡

If ever there was a time when I wished I could use more than one emoji on a comment, this was it!🤣👍🧡💡

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

There aren't going to be enough players to even qualify for a tournament next year 😡

Then they'll have another tournament to get enough contestants for a ToC.

I had no real clue for FJ but I did think of astronauts.  However, that wasn't enough to get me to Gagarin. I am heading for another 0/5 week.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I wonder what Lucas Partridge thinks about all these tournaments. For those who don't remember (I certainly didn't, I had to look him up), he was the reigning champ at the end of season 39.  When regular play resumes, he will have waited nearly a year between games.  

I look forward to hearing what Ken quips about Lucas's year-long wait after winning his 3rd game. 
I found Lucas Partidge's picture:
LucasPartridge.png
but have zero memory of him.

However, looking at a few of the FJs and other clues from a few of his games (j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=39), some of those are familiar, which is what matters for my own future ability to play along with the game.

For comparison, Chris Pannullo had taped his last game of 22 games on October 22, 2022 (aired December 6, 2022) before losing in his first TOC game, taped February 6, 2024 (aired Feb. 26), which did not go well. 

I suppose it depends quite a bit on how important winning at Jeopardy! still is to the former player. Priorities change.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

From your lips to the Powers That Be's ears!!!  Gawd I am sooooooo sick of tournaments.

Me, too.  But at least the first 3 contestants in this one were all people I liked during their previous appearances.  And Pam wasn't using the full title of every category, which was very much appreciated.

I so should've gotten FJ, with my interest in the US Space program and thus in the Soviet one, at least tangentially, but I had no clue.

I was amused by the Ice Ice Baby category but got none of answers because I've never actually listened to the song.

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I loved Pam's shirt. I wanted her to win solely so I could see what else she has in her wardrobe.

I noticed they didn't say the full name of the categories, and when continuing in the same category, sometimes almost didn't say the name at all. The J! culture has changed over time so much!

When I was a contestant, they specifically told us not to say the entire category title after the first time someone picked it so the game would go quicker.  It's only this season where I noticed that had changed and everyone was saying the whole title.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

So I'm not burdened by knowledge, plus I doubt based on experience J! ever asks about any other than those three; the only "he" of those is Gagarin, so it had to be him.  So, certainly not an instaget, but I was sure of it by the time I got there.

Sometimes having a little knowledge about a subject is a good thing.  I probably should've gotten it because, as you say, if it's a male cosmonaut, it's almost always Yuri Gagarin.  I think there might've been a clue about Vladimir Komarov once, but that could've been a different quiz show.  (For future reference, if they ask about a cosmonaut killed when his space capsule crashed to Earth at the end of a mission, it's Komarov.)

16 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I had no idea Yuri Gagarin died in a plane crash! I also said Dag Hammarskjöld, after being totally stumped by what “Sochi 6” meant. All I could think of was the Chicago 7 but knew that couldn’t be right since the trial was after 1968, and finally just said a name of an international person who died in a plane crash. Mercury 7 of course! That makes so much more sense.

I knew it wasn't Dag Hammarskjold because I'd seen the Air Disasters episode about his plane crash and knew the year wasn't right, but I had nothing else.

7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Maybe Yogesh will come back? /s

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

When I was a contestant, they specifically told us not to say the entire category title after the first time someone picked it so the game would go quicker.  It's only this season where I noticed that had changed and everyone was saying the whole title.

I do not often listen to the Inside Jeopardy podcast, but I did happen to listen to one recent episode where Michael Davies mentioned that asking the contestants to say the whole category helps the person whose job it is to launch the correct clue. That is a more persuasive reason than what I had heard before, that they thought it helped the home audience to follow. I am fine with abbreviating the categories but I would like to see them on the screen with the clue because when I am playing at home with my parents, by the time the clue fills the screen we have probably forgotten what category it is already.

• Like 9

I really do not like this "saying the entire topic name for $, please, Ken, thank you" bullshit. Move the game along, already. They could also cut the interviews for all I care.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was amused by the Ice Ice Baby category but got none of answers because I've never actually listened to the song.

Same. "Ice Ice Baby" are literally the only lyrics of that song I know.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
(edited)

March 21:

67% / 37% / 52%

In J! I missed one in There Will Be a Test on This and Cinema in 2023, and two in everything else. In DJ I missed two in On the Nose, all five in In Your Element, and three in everything else.

But I got FJ and it was almost an instaget.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 3) I got e-bikes.

I should have gotten the Shakespeare clue; I read a book last year called Shakespeare Was a Woman and other Heresies, just couldn't come up with the name.

Leonard was on the Teen Tournament longer ago than I thought (2013!) but I still find it hard to believe he now has two Masters degrees and is working on a doctorate....

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

Another miss on FJ for me.  But I feel like I should have known it!  I've been a little distracted lately -- yeah, that's the ticket!

The only TS I got was Live And Let Die.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Another miss on FJ for me.  But I feel like I should have known it!

I didn't know it but I was just unburdened by knowledge enough to reason that Ulysses was the only thing stylistically notable enough to consider. If I had known too much I probably would have been overwhelmed by all kind of experimental possibilities.

I was cheering for Larissa, so yay!

• Like 5