Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Dear people of France, I thought you were much more dispassionate than your jumping up and down would have me believe.  Really, though, not Portman?  Or Chastain?  Must see "Elle" now!

Hey, Moonlight wins the big one!  A little bummed Hell or High Water got shutout, but, again, Moonlight looks really, really good, so I'm sure it is deserved.

Rocky and Apollo!  Was kind of waiting for Ivan Drogo to pop pout of nowhere and start causing trouble (or making a topical Trump/Putin remark.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That's a surprise to me.  I figured Natalie had this one in the bag, but was hoping for a Ruth Negga upset.  I know nothing about Elle.

Back in the day, saw some of Huppert's foreign films.  She's great.  Just made the Oscars interesting.

• Love 6
Just now, Browncoat said:

Yay for the Moonlight win!  I thought it was much better than Manchester, but really, as long as Mel Gibson didn't win, I'd be happy.

I was hoping for Hell or High Water but since it's destined to win nothing I am happy for Moonlight.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The French actress won an award given by the Foreign Press, color me shocked!!

I was surprised, I thought everyone was saying Portman would win.  I guess it's not that surprising... The Night Manager won 3 acting awards.  I loved the Night Manager.  But it got shut out at the Emmys.  I was very surprised that Olivia Colman beat Thandie Newton, Hugh Laurie beat John Lithgoe, and most of all, Tom Hiddleston beating Courtney B Vance.

Then I thought some more and figured that The Night Manager is exactly the kind of international production that the Globe voters love.

Seemed like Brits won a fair share, many in upsets.  No one could have expected Aaron Taylor Johnson to beat Mahershalalhaszbasz Ali.  I wonder if it's a Brit-loving thing, like when Clive Owen won for "Closer", and I hope it's not a political statement.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I wonder if it's a Brit-loving thing, like when Clive Owen won for "Closer", and I hope it's not a political statement.

The Golden Globes are known for giving awards to non-Americans(and Pia Zadora), it's why they are not a reliable predictor for the Oscars. Now the SAG awards on the other hands, they are usually pretty spot on.

eta: Carl Weathers looks like he did in Rocky!

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Wow, Natalie is taking that "channeling Jackie" thing very far. She even smiles and acknowledges crowds like the late great Mrs. O.

Oh good, so it wasn't just me. When they showed her when they were announcing the nominees, my first thought was if no one told her filming for Jackie was over and that she didn't need to stay in character during Award season to secure a win.

Is Evan Rachel Wood still with Marilyn Manson?

Wow, it's been awhile huh. Not only have they long broken up, she's since gotten back together with Jamie Bell who she was with before Marilyn, gotten married to Jamie, had a baby and then gotten divorced two years later. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

So I take it with the amount of cheering, the crowd is NOT on #TeamAngelina? 

Also amusing to me... Justin Theroux was also a presenter tonight.  As a #TeamJennifer gal, I say she ended up the winner in the Brangelina divorce.   

• Love 9

I kind of figured the HFPA would give the award to Huppert.  The Academy Awards will be different.   I think Natalie Portman has Oscar #2 in the bag.   It's the type of performance the Academy loves and Portman did an excellent job.  I would love to see Ruth Negga's performance in Loving net her a win but I don't think that will happen.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, UMAngela said:

Also amusing to me... Justin Theroux was also a presenter tonight.  As a #TeamJennifer gal, I say she ended up the winner in the Brangelina divorce.   

Because after almost ten years of jokes about being childless and single she ended up with a decent looking television actor? I mean no offense to Theroux but he's like Mr. Jennifer Aniston who herself is and still remains mostly relevant because she was once Mrs. Brad Pitt.

• Love 8

Loving is based on a true story and the subject matter is incendiary (for its time).  It seems like the type of film that is always recognized at awards time.  Did it have only the one nom, for Ruth Negga?

Haha apparently I am not up on the history of Evan Rachel Wood's social life.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Loving is based on a true story and the subject matter is incendiary (for its time).  It seems like the type of film that is always recognized at awards time.  Did it have only the one nom, for Ruth Negga?

Haha apparently I am not up on the history of Evan Rachel Wood's social life.

Joel Edgerton was also nominated.  Sadly, neither of them have been nominated for SAG awards which doesn't bode well for the Oscar nominations yet to come.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because after almost ten years of jokes about being childless and single she ended up with a decent looking television actor? I mean no offense to Theroux but he's like Mr. Jennifer Aniston who herself is and still remains mostly relevant because she was once Mrs. Brad Pitt.

I mean, basically, yes... even though I find Theroux more than decent looking.  (Overall, I feel embarrassed to even admit that I even care about the Hollywood gossip, but that's life... just call me Petty LaBelle.)

• Love 7

Obviously there are people here with conflicting political views - and actors which fan the flames, whether deliberately or not with regards to those same politics.

Let's remember that and then move on since, despite the above, this isn't the place to debate political figures and it obviously never ends well. 

Let's get back to fashion, snarking about the winners, losers, and their finer points!

Thanks.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Wow, it's been awhile huh. Not only have they long broken up, she's since gotten back together with Jamie Bell who she was with before Marilyn, gotten married to Jamie, had a baby and then gotten divorced two years later. 

Evan Rachel Wood *also* just came out and said that she's bisexual; I dunno if this is just her latest odd new phase or not, but I give the gal kudos for being so refreshingly honest and open while working in Hollyweird. Her recent work on "Westworld" has really made me appreciate her more.

And no offense to Brad Pitt, but I think Justin Theroux is good-looking in his own right, so good for Jennifer Aniston marrying two Hollywood hotties! It'll definitely be interesting to see who Brad ends up with next. I see him totally pulling a Clooney and ending up with some similarly younger non-actress/intellectual type. He looked great tonight.

Ryan Gossling made me literally swoon with his acceptance speech tonight. What a classy, all around awesome dude. Eva Mendez is one lucky woman to come home to that, that's all I'm saying!

Nice to see "Moonlight" end up with a major win. I personally wished we could've seen "Nocturnal Animals" win a few more awards. Was thrilled to see the "LaLa Land" sweep---what a charming, well-acted and beautifully done ode to musicals!

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Artsda said:

LOL. Team Brad is that crowd.

Well, he did produce a nominated film and he has friends who were in attendance. But I think more than anything else, I think they were cheering because Angelina was very calculated in filing her divorce and getting statements out. She filed for divorce at the end of the business day and after all of the celebrity magazines had gone to press. She also gave a comprehensive statement detailing why she was filing only to TMZ. So if Brad wanted to reach out to People or US Weekly to give his side, it would be at least a week before the new issues would hit the newsstand. It was designed to make the dominant narrative her narrative--Brad was drinking and drugging and possibly physically abusing the kids.

No one likes divorce and half of those in attendance have done it at least once, but I think they were reacting to how dirty she was playing it. However to my mind, I don't think anyone has been as awful as Julia Roberts was when she was trying to get Danny Moder's ex to divorce him. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

It'll definitely be interesting to see who Brad ends up with next.

I always wanted Sandra Bullock and George Clooney to get together, but seeing as George is now a married man, Brad and Sandra would make a lovely couple. Angelina's head exploding would be an added bonus.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Evan Rachel Wood *also* just came out and said that she's bisexual; I dunno if this is just her latest odd new phase or not, but I give the gal kudos for being so refreshingly honest and open while working in Hollyweird. Her recent work on "Westworld" has really made me appreciate her more.

Evan is bisexual. This isn't a phase (not trying to come off in a condescending way here or anything, wanted to make it clear as a fellow queer person myself- lesbian here). Here's an article where she talks about how Ellen Page inspired her to come out. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/20/evan-rachel-wood-on-her-bisexuality-and-our-divided-world-listen-to-your-opponent.html

As for Isabelle Huppert- go watch her in The Piano Teacher or the 130 other things she's done over the years.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 11