Type keyword(s) to search

S20. E04: Coronation Day

• Start Topic

For Coronation Day, the designers are blindly paired together and tasked with creating couture modern gowns that exemplify royalty; Wes Gordon, the Creative Director of Carolina Herrera and gown expert, serves as a guest judge.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

For Coronation Day, the designers are blindly paired together and tasked with creating couture modern gowns that exemplify royalty; Wes Gordon, the Creative Director of Carolina Herrera and gown expert, serves as a guest judge.

Blindly paired.

Paired for most drama.

Fixed the synopsis. 

Although I do love a pretty gown challenge.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, T Summer said:

oh damn! I'm late and I missed the pairing off. Was there drama?

I was late too. Looks like there is a bit of drama between Anna and Brittany. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, T Summer said:

oh damn! I'm late and I missed the pairing off. Was there drama?

There was a tray of tea sandwiches.  They each picked one and ended up partnered with whoever got the same flavour.  

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

There was a tray of tea sandwiches.  They each picked one and ended up partnered with whoever got the same flavour.  

Thanks, 💗that doesn't sound like I missed too much. Will catch it on the repeat.

2 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

What are those ovals on the models back? Paltrow and her cupping? Very distracting from the gown.

I'm not up on what Gweneth Paltrow  is marketing... that's deliberate as I like her as an actress.

I imagined tattoo removal, but I'm probably wrong.

(edited)

Why do they make the designers have to tell a dumb story to explain their designs, this has always bugged me about this show.
I don’t claim to know anything about fashion but I thought all the gowns were very regal except for Hester’s I didn’t like the plaid material. Of course Hester squeaks by again. 

Agree with the winner, beautiful gown. I was surprised they sent Victor home, I didn’t catch why they chose him. 
I don’t understand the judging. At least they had a decent guest judge this week. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • Like 17
  • Applause 1

I love when the judges said that royalty would wear the dress that Kara Saun and Laurence made. Rock “royalty“, maybe, but but royalty from a royal line that stretches back 1500 years would never get within 200 feet of that dress.

My problem with Hester’s dress was not the design, but the fabric which just made me think of a tablecloth.

The only dress I really liked was the winning one. I thought it was stunning.

• Like 18
3 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

If any young royal person were to wear Kara Saun and Laurance's dress in real life, they would be ripped in the gossip columns the next day.  I thought their gown was more costume-y than Viktor and Kayne's. 

Victor and Kayne's was more "wearable" to me than Kara Saun and Laurance's.  If Viktor and Kayne didn't use the corset, there wouldn't have been that much of Viktor's work in the finished gown, but they would have been safe.  Interesting that both Viktor and Kayne thought about removing the corset, but neither wanted to mention it to the other because they wanted to spare each other's feelings.

I thought that Anna should have gone home.  I thought her and Brittany's dress was pedestrian, ill fitting and very bland in color.

Completely agree.  I would choose a dramatic but costumey gown over a boring, limp, pedestrian one every day.  Do not understand the decision to send Victor home at all.

On the other hand, the winning look was absolutely deserved.  The Queen of Wakanda.  I loved that Laurence and Sara (?) were happily applauding that look as well.

• Like 14
  • Applause 1

I thought Kara San and Laurence wandered into a Frederick's of Hollywood store for that skirt inspiration.

VIktor and Kayne's dress needed a Dragon accessory with the Winds of Castamere playing in the background.

The cape made the winning look.

I thought Viktor deserved a Siriano save, but is it available this year?

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
1 minute ago, Jordan Baker said:

I definitely would have picked Anna over Viktor for the auf. 

The most surprising result to me, though, was that the judges like Kara Saun's dress. All I could see was a Standard Poodle who'd just come back from the groomer.

Good description!  Me, I got a "Judy Jetson" prom dress vibe, or maybe something that a Whoville wife would wear to a Christmas party in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  (I'm talking about just the dress here - not the cape.)

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, Boadicea said:

I love when the judges said that royalty would wear the dress that Kara Saun and Laurence made. Rock “royalty“, maybe, but but royalty from a royal line that stretches back 1500 years would never get within 200 feet of that dress.

My problem with Hester’s dress was not the design, but the fabric which just made me think of a tablecloth.

The only dress I really liked was the winning one. I thought it was stunning.

And the fabric was exactly what the Guest Judge objected to. But clever Hester responded about the color, and thus escaped. I didn't like their gown at all---not the shape, not the heavy fabric, and definitely not the color.

I do not like gray. It flatters no-one. To me, it's a weak sister used by those not gutsy enough to choose black. 

I thought the bottom part of Kara Saun's dress was laughable! 

Korto chose the perfect time to use her material. The team's gown was amazing. 

• Like 11

Party of one here in many respects - I did not like the winning look at all.  I thought the colours of the two fabrics were not good together and it was all too heavy.  I liked the coat and head-dress together, but not with that dress.

Most of the rest looked like costumes or something from the Star Trek franchise.

I think I liked Rami and Bishme's (?) the best, followed by Hester and Prajje's, then the purple one if it had been without the armoured "corsette".

I thought Kara Saun's dress was hideous,; those plasticky, luminescent little dangly panels looked like decorations from The Party Store.

All in all, I was very underwhelmed, though I, too, liked the guest judge.

• Like 20
2 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

I definitely would have picked Anna over Viktor for the auf. 

The most surprising result to me, though, was that the judges like Kara Saun's dress. All I could see was a Standard Poodle who'd just come back from the groomer.

Thank you! It's nice to know I'm not the only one that saw poodle. I was surprised Christian didn't try to steer them away from that mess.

• Like 12
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, T Summer said:

No way! I thought for sure Anna would go tonight!

she should have. Though the corset thing was stupid as well.

9 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I had Kara Saun and Laurence's gown at the bottom. The cape was fine but the dress was weird.

I loved the cape and the cape fabric, but thought the dress underneath looked dated.

9 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

thought Kara San and Laurence wandered into a Frederick's of Hollywood store for that skirt inspiration.

I couldn't believe that Nina loved that thing! Her undies were showing from the back!

• Like 15
(edited)

I couldn't believe they loved Kara Saun's dress because if little ole me from Wisconsin can be like I've seen that exact dress before but done in black, I don't know why they were so enthralled by it.

I would've eliminated Anna or Brittany. You sent down a dress that could be bought at any David's Bridal RIGHT NOW.

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Like 13
10 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I clocked Victor going home the minute he chose that metallic leather. It was ugly and the idea was awful. 

I do a lot of royal fashion watching. That dress Korto and Prajje made could be worn by Rania (Rami dressed her and she’s fucking gorgeous) of Jordan (with a little editing because royals like coverage). I could even see Kate in that, but neither of them would wear the head wrap or cape. I loved those items though. Queen ‘Masenate of Lesotho could pull all off the whole thing.

Hester and Fabio’s dress, while gorgeous, has no place in royal fashion. 

Rami and Bishme’s looked exactly like something Maxima of the Netherlands or Mary of Denmark would wear. Maxima is my spirit royal, and she could totally make that drape sleeve sing.

Korto and Laurence. NO. That dress was just a damn hot NO and the model couldn’t even walk in it. I have seen some royals wear some damn ugly crap (Mathilde of Belgium enters the conversation) but there isn’t a royal out there who would wear a tiered ruffled sheer skirt. That’s the kind of dress Emma Weymouth, Marchioness of Bath, would wear and she’d make it sing. The guest judge was right. Those pieces did not belong together. 

Kanye’s dress under the corset was made for Victoria of Sweden. That color would go great with her dark hair and brown eyes. 

That sad drippy mess made by Brittany and Anna. *sigh* I like Anna. I think she has some interesting design ideas. I don’t hate Brittany even if she is always “pretty and romantic.”

However, that dress. There isn’t a royal out there who would wear something both that ugly and ill-fitting, and there are a LOT of royals who wear ugly, ill-fitting clothes (Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg and her stumpifying pants, Camilla and her 10,000 versions of a housecoat, Sophie of Liechtenstein who takes fashion cues from Lady Bird Johnson and Mamie Eisenhower.)

Not even Beatrice (toilet seat hat anyone?) and Eugenie, two royals known for going ugly with their fashion, would put on that hot mess.

Mentally, I dubbed that dress, “Depression in the form of Bridal Wear.” They both deserved the aufing. 

I’d like more of that guest judge, please.

Thanks @BlackberryJam - as a fellow Royal Daily Wear: What’s In The Closet follower, I was hoping for input from you (and/or @MissLucas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

What the hell was Korto yammering on about in the bar and in the talking head, going on about the OGs?  (Had to look that one up!)  They may have experience but they have to keep up with the times and keep innovating.  And, Rami, the judges are going to greet/interact more warmly someone they're personally familiar with - Brandon and Elaine weren't judging when they were on. 

Please stop with the God bothering, Korto.  It's been refreshingly absent from PR (unlike, say, Survivor), and I really think God, if they exist, has better things to do than "training (her) to get ready" to be on the show again.  Agh.

Edited by Leeds
God not Gpd, and Korto not Kaura San
  • Like 6
  • Applause 5
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Thanks @BlackberryJam - as a fellow Royal Daily Wear: What’s In The Closet follower, I was hoping for input from you (and/or @MissLucas!

Seriously, I betcha Elaine couldn't even name a non-British royal, let alone anticipate what they would wear. Look, a lot of these challenges are just ridiculous "theme on a pretty dress." I'm fine with that. But Judges don't tell me, "I could see a young, modern royal wearing that." Wes Gordon was crawling out of his skin every time Elaine spoke. Then again, I don't think Teen Vogue knows much about the royals, so it's really not Elaine's bag.

The right dress won, definitely. And Victor was not long for the PR season, but wow, those judges are on crack. 

I posted over in the Royals Small Talk thread about the episode so I don't inundate the PR thread with things like, "Anna and Brittany's dress was so in Mette-Marit's color wheelhouse..." We need @MissLucas and the other Royal Forumers to weigh in!

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I so wanted to love everything, but most of the designs seemed very dated to me as I have seen them before:

Kara Saun stole Judy Jetson's prom look as noted by an above poster (and I saw it too as soon as it was revealed).  

Hester stole I Love Lucy's cigarette pants with skirt overlay that she wore multiple times in that show.

Korto stole the Queen's cloak from Coming to America (but I did love what she did with it), while Praje stole multiple ice skating outfits from many different ice skaters.

Like others, I pay attention to royal fashion and the royals generally go for elegance rather than trying to show as much skin as possible.

I thought Rami and Bishi really had a look that a royal would wear.

And Brittany and Anna?  That was just sad.  Elaine was trying to blame the look on the ill fitting sleeves and Wes Gordon was not having that.  He was a great guest judge and I think he could finally be the one to fill the sadly missing shoes of Michael Kors.  Wes Gordon knew where the problems were and was not afraid to contradict the permanent judges.  I think the judges are really having to work hard to justify saving their favorites.  IMO Hester should have gone home last week, and I thought Anna or Kara Saun should have gone home this week.  Yes, Viktor's breastplate was bad, but one could wear the rest of the dress without it.

• Like 20
1 hour ago, Fake Jan Brady said:

FYI Brandon Maxwell: the word you are looking for is agreement, not agreeance🙄

Looked it up. According to Websters online, both are correct. Agreeance is a much older term, and agreement is used more often, but agreeance is an acceptable alternative. Color me surprised.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 11
19 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Hester stole I Love Lucy's cigarette pants with skirt overlay that she wore multiple times in that show.

Yes, Hester trying to claim that was a !transgressive! never-seen-before design was absurd. There are currently 2 versions of the 'fitted top/full skirt open in front to show pants' dress for sale on T.J.Maxx.com.

However, Hester is amazing at making herself look utterly hideous.

9 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

Laurence is from France, Kara Saun was born in Germany. Just like Milli Vanilli!

I thought it was weird that these 2 kept emphasizing that their look was for 'European' royalty.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
(edited)

I just figured the gown challenge was for more of the concept of "royalty," not an actual existing live member of a royal family.

Even the models weren't skinny enough for either Kate or Letizia! 😄

But I can see the late Princess Margaret in Korto's outfit, complete with headdress! 

https://www.hellomagazine.com/fashion/royal-style/2019080476021/princess-margaret-fashion-best-moments/?viewas=amp

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 6