Type keyword(s) to search

Why Grammar Matters: A Place To Discuss Matters Of Grammar

Message added by JTMacc99,

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Start Topic

Qoass, your entire post warmed my heart.  I am still scratching my head over what the meteorologist was trying to say, though.  Balmy?  Hey, there are three letters in common between the two words, let's call it a day.

The now-common usage that makes me cringe is "impact" as a verb.  Even worse, "impacted" as a verb form, past tense.  Makes me grind my teeth.

Qoass, your entire post warmed my heart.  I am still scratching my head over what the meteorologist was trying to say, though.  Balmy?  Hey, there are three letters in common between the two words, let's call it a day.

The now-common usage that makes me cringe is "impact" as a verb.  Even worse, "impacted" as a verb form, past tense.  Makes me grind my teeth.

Hasn't "impact" always been a verb?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impact

I spent my lunch hour reading this and either cracking up or nodding vehemently. I think I literally just hashtag fell in love with this incredible thread and its amazing people.

Ending sentences with "at." - Where's my money at? I dare you to cut off that last word and see if your meaning is lost. Really.

Yes. 

I am a cheerful giver, so I offer you the usage of my favorite snarkalicious response to this:   It's right behind that preposition.  

Lax attention to what used to be basic grammar has affected me in the following ways:

1.  On tomorrow.  Because, why?  (I know, starting sentences with because may have just sent someone here to the hospital but it's a habit I find particularly difficult to break)

2.  For all intensive purposes.    For fuck's sake, will you please listen to each word you just said?  What the hell is an intensive purpose?

3.  Case and point.  Wait, it gets better:  Case end point.   I won't hurt your feelings, but I won't let it go.

4.  To, too and two and its first cousin lose and loose.   Really bro?  They're not even close.  Not. Even.  Oh and hey, there, their and they're.  See what I did there? Lol.

5.  Brought and bought.   Nuff said.

6.  Would of and could of.   Phonetically I understand how this happened, but in print?  The fuck is a would of?

7.   First anniversary.   This one literally (lol) turns me into Ross Geller.   Your first anniversary is the second year you're celebrating it.  Your first year of whooping it up is just called your anniversary.  

8. For anyone in the NYC television market, a few weeks ago, our local WABC meterologist, Amy Freeze (yeah, it's her real name) took to saying "artic" to describe an impending cold front.  Artic.  Ok, whatever, with time I could get over that, it's local.   A day or two later Diane Sawyer was describing the same weather event and said artic.   World News tonight is anchored in New York City.    They share the same studios, so Amy likely infected her.  I have a friend who works in network news so I happen to know that it's someone's job to review the content of what is said on the air.  I said why didn't anybody correct this?  Girl it went on for days.  Like I actually questioned whether or not it was a real word and I've been adding the extra c this whole time.   I've forgiven Diane but I have to switch to WNBC when it's time for the weather.

9.  Using up as a verb.   Up your water intake, up your exercise, up your score.   No, up yours for using that shit as a verb.  Over this, I really will cut a bitch. 

p.s.  s's is grammatically correct, it just looks hella wrong. 

Oh and with the white hot heat of a thousand suns I can't stand the way George Stephanopoulos pronounces Washington.   It seems pretty simple but every time he says it, I hear:   Worsh-ing-on.    No more eating marbles before air time George, cause that sucks.

edited because it's and its are also two different things.  ;)

Edited by ZaldamoWilder
  • Love 10

Ah Zaldamo! So many excellent points.

The correct sentence is "Where's my money at, bitch?"

They, their and there. They're not the same.

I am a fluffy person, but cannot read any diet forums due to the abuse of lose and loose. If I read where one more dumbass is "loosing" weight, I shall pluck out my eyes.

• Love 1

Ah Zaldamo! So many excellent points.

The correct sentence is "Where's my money at, bitch?"

They, their and there. They're not the same.

I am a fluffy person, but cannot read any diet forums due to the abuse of lose and loose. If I read where one more dumbass is "loosing" weight, I shall pluck out my eyes.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  

To borrow a Seinfeldism:  although, if you're having this particular conversation, grammar may not be at the top of your priority list.

I'm fluffyish and I had to quit 2 weight loss boards for the same reason.     I often think eh, maybe life would be different if I weren't so persnickety about stuff that doesn't really matter in the larger context.   Then somebody comes along and presses an already lit elevator button and the shit gets real all over again.    I cannot sufficiently express the measure of comfort it brings me to know that I have found my people.   You bunch of wackadoos, you   :D

• Love 5

7.   First anniversary.   This one literally (lol) turns me into Ross Geller.   Your first anniversary is the second year you're celebrating it.  Your first year of whooping it up is just called your anniversary.

And "anni" stems from annum which is Latin for year.  So it is LITERALLY impossible to have a "two week anniversary" or a "six month anniversary".

I'll give you "impacted" when you're talking about a molar.  It is a word, just one of those that newscasters should put into the Princess Bride Inconceivable file:  You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Love 1

And "anni" stems from annum which is Latin for year.  So it is LITERALLY impossible to have a "two week anniversary" or a "six month anniversary".

I was just going to post about the "two week (or whatever) anniversary" thing.  Hate, hate, hate!  I heard someone say that it was their "month-a-versary" ones and had to clench my teeth to not say anything.

I was just going to post about the "two week (or whatever) anniversary" thing.  Hate, hate, hate!  I heard someone say that it was their "month-a-versary" ones and had to clench my teeth to not say anything.

Well, at least they didn't use "annum". :)

We're starting to veer off-topic here again.  Sure, I'd love to rant for hours about how it bugs the living crap out of me when people use "could of" and "should of", but this is a TV forum, after all.  Try to stick to grammar mistakes on the small screen, 'kay?

• Love 1

The rant...er, reasoned argument...above about meteorologists reminded me of how badly I want to slap two of the local morning guys. "7 a.m. in the morning", they'll say, or "5:30 p.m. tonight." As opposed to what? 7 a.m. tonight? 5:30 p.m. in the morning? Choose one option and stick with it!

See also: EVOO extra virgin olive oil, courtesy of Rachael Ray.

• Love 3

Well, at least they didn't use "annum". :)

We're starting to veer off-topic here again.  Sure, I'd love to rant for hours about how it bugs the living crap out of me when people use "could of" and "should of", but this is a TV forum, after all.  Try to stick to grammar mistakes on the small screen, 'kay?

D'oh!  We were talking about tv?  {giggle} of course we were, I am so sorry.  I just came in here to free my spirit, I didn't even pay attention to the tv part.  Yikes.  No more off the rails outta me.  Lol.

I love/hate the meteorologist stories.  I think we should start calling them weather people again. 

Hasn't "impact" always been a verb?

Aquarius, I looked it up and you are correct.  It seems that it has been acceptable to use impact as a verb for a long time.  However, I don't remember it being used in my childhood at all.  Now I hear and see it on the news all the time.  My guess is that it is a generational issue.  (The same goes for "impactful".) 

It might be that I'm just cranky.  That sometimes happens.  Apologies for leading the thread astray.

On firmer ground: how about "effortless" as an adverb?  I have heard that mistake from judges on dancing shows more times than should be lawful.

Yesterday a talking head on the news informed us that refugees are "flooding the region with nothing but the clothes on their backs", and I now have a mental picture of a vast desert covered to a depth of several feet in sweaty clothing.

New rule for any talking heads: if you can't speak without hiccuping the word "like" (or, worse, "liiiiiiiiiiiiike") every second, you are not allowed on camera. I apologize on behalf of my generation for the Valley Girl phrases, but it's not our fault that this word has become the German cockroach of sentence structure.

Sing it! And while we're at it, let's include "you know" as well. Yesterday the mayor of Ferguson (where they're having some sort of protest or something) started every single sentence with "you know" during an interview. No Mr. Mayor, I don't know, and if I did there'd no point in telling me about it.

Back when I was working at a radio station, that was referred to as a Crutch. It's something that you say just to be saying something while your brain tries to come up with actual ideas to express, and most people don't even realize that they're doing it.

• Love 2

Wow, I really love this thread no matter where it veers.

I can't believe I forgot this one:

Attention Kiefer Sutherland of 24:

nuclear...

nuc -le- ar

Thank you very much.

• Love 3

Sing it! And while we're at it, let's include "you know" as well. Yesterday the mayor of Ferguson (where they're having some sort of protest or something) started every single sentence with "you know" during an interview. No Mr. Mayor, I don't know, and if I did there'd no point in telling me about it.

Back when I was working at a radio station, that was referred to as a Crutch. It's something that you say just to be saying something while your brain tries to come up with actual ideas to express, and most people don't even realize that they're doing it.

= what Um is.  Which I've grown completely accustomed to but 1000 years ago, when I was in college, I had a Sosh Professor who said the way to gauge how articulate someone is is by how heavily they rely on what she called filler words.  Very much like your Crutch, Sandman.  She said if your mouth hasn't yet figured out how to bring forth what your brain produced, don't say something just to fill the void.  Just come out with it when your mouth is ready.    I think of this Professor whenever I watch Judge Judy.  

Yesterday the mayor of Ferguson (where they're having some sort of protest or something)

Lol!!

• Love 1

Wow, I really love this thread no matter where it veers.

I can't believe I forgot this one:

Attention Kiefer Sutherland of 24:

nuclear...

nuc -le- ar

Thank you very much.

To be fair, George Bush also used to say 'nucular' in his speeches and such. I can see how Kiefer's pronunciation could be maddening, but I think the President should at least try to come off as more intelligent.

• Love 4

Last night, Buddy, on Next Great Baker, said that the contestant's cupcake was UNedible. 

We should open up a grammar thread in the Off Topic section.  This is fun and informative. 

Edited by Shannon L.

And while we're at it, let's include "you know" as well. Yesterday the mayor of Ferguson (where they're having some sort of protest or something) started every single sentence with "you know" during an interview. No Mr. Mayor, I don't know, and if I did there'd no point in telling me about it.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have a bad habit of saying "you know". If I say it in conversation at home, my spouse will always say, "No, I don't know!" Thankfully, that is actually helping me to become more aware of when I say it. 

Edited by P2C2E
  • Love 2

"Like" drives me batty, so I appreciated an episode of Modern Family (which I've recently picked up via syndication) in which Claire corrected Hailey every time she used it inappropriately.  I'm not going to sit here and pretend I've never said something along the lines of, "And I'm like [or "all"] 'Really?'" but it's rare - and even then usually done for effect, such as it is - and I cringe when I hear myself.  Characters whose language is peppered with variations on it nearly send me into spasm.

• Love 2

Every time I hear the "um"s, "uh"s, "ah"s and "like"s, I want to have the power to send that person to Toastmaster's.

I had a teacher who used um, uh, which means and others every so often. I remember when one of the students drove him nuts over it XD.

It occurs to me that Early Cuyler from Squidbillies completely and thoroughly owns this thread. If there were actually a Grammar Police docket, he'd get the death penalty.

Early - "Readin' don't never not done nothing for not nonebody. Never not no one, didn't about no reason not never. And by God they never not ain't gonna will!"

• Love 1

It occurs to me that Early Cuyler from Squidbillies completely and thoroughly owns this thread. If there were actually a Grammar Police docket, he'd get the death penalty.

Early - "Readin' don't never not done nothing for not nonebody. Never not no one, didn't about no reason not never. And by God they never not ain't gonna will!"

Any chance of a translation into English? Or Spanish? Hell, I'd settle for Latin!

All right, let's see if we can send my high school Latin teacher into hysterics. Either kind of hysterics will do:

"Nemo quisquam non numquam non factum est nihil, non nemo quisquam. Nusquam non nullius non nunquam etiam non de. Et non a Deo, numquam non erit et non facere."

The beauty of it is that the more wrong I get it, the better the translation is!

• Love 2

There is something I've picked up recently on certain interview shows and I don't even know whether it's proper or not. The host asks a question and the first thing out of the interviewee's mouth is the word So. I notice that the people who do this are usually younger. It seems like a new development. Just sounds kind of weird.

• Love 4

There is something I've picked up recently on certain interview shows and I don't even know whether it's proper or not. The host asks a question and the first thing out of the interviewee's mouth is the word So. I notice that the people who do this are usually younger. It seems like a new development. Just sounds kind of weird.

I've noticed this same trend with the word "actually", as in "What do you do for fun?" "Actually, I like to knit."  Why does 'actually' need to be at the beginning of that sentence? Seems like it would be more appropriate if the question was "I hear that one of your hobbies is crocheting."

• Love 1
The host asks a question and the first thing out of the interviewee's mouth is the word So

I've noticed that as well.  They'll also end the statement with so...  and leave it hanging.

"The cast all got along amazingly well so..."

• Love 1

I'm one of those people who can get carried away using "actually", so I try to watch myself because I'm aware of how annoying it can be, as well as more than likely grammatically incorrect many times I use it. 

I'd like to submit "Imma" and "baby daddy".  Imma bugs me, but I loathe baby daddy. 

• Love 2

It's definitely an odd recent development - and I've heard it on many different types of shows, from Dr. Oz to Real Time with Bill Maher to hard news interviews. When I first picked up on it, I thought the responder was continuing a thought that was interrupted by the quesion from the interviewer, so I rewound the interview to hear what I must have missed - and nothing. The "So" is completely pointless and superfluous when starting a new thought or answer - all I can figure is the responders are continuing out loud a thought or conversation that began inside their head.

• Love 1

Like. Sort of like. Kind of like. She's like...It's like. They were like. We was like. He's like. I was like. UGH!!!! Grey's Anatomy

I hear this more in real life (and hate it) than on TV, and can only think of one instance where I've heard it deliberately inserted into a conversation on a scripted show. There was an episode of The Good Wife where they had to interview a young woman who talked like that as part of an investigation. Hearing her say "I was like ..." and "She was all ..." while talking with people who spoke normal standard English was really jarring. I started flinching every time she opened her mouth and was glad it was a short scene.

Edited by CoderLady

A local news anchor I worked with once infamously read the name of the late pope John Paul II (the second) as "John Paul Ill". We hazed her unmercifully.

Two weeks later, hoping to avoid the same mistake, she read the name of North Korea's leader as "Kim Jung the second".

Nope, that's not right either. If she had stuck with one pronunciation, she would have been correct 50% of the time. Lol

In her defense, TelePrompTers display in all caps, which I think added to her confusion. However, anyone calling herself a "journalist" should know the pronunciations of world leaders' names!

• Love 4

Regarding "so": I've noticed it, too, and I think it has become a replacement for "um" or "well" or "hm" or other syllables ushering in a sentence. Although I notice it, I don't mind it.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Regarding "so": I've noticed it, too, and I think it has become a replacement for "um" or "well" or "hm" other syllables ushering in a sentence. Although I notice it, I don't mind it.

I guess it has. It is mostly younger people who are doing this. The evolution of language from one generation to the next. From super to awesome to amazing in one lifetime.

• Love 1

That use of "so" has been around at least since the 90s when I was working at a Catholic High School and Sister Helen Timothy despaired/joked about how listening to a student giving the prayer at a service was the first time she had heard a prayer beginning with "so," as in: "So in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit..."

About um, uh, etc., I heard on NPR this week that a study was done that showed that people who um and uh a lot have higher IQs. Like the current POTUS.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I've noticed this same trend with the word "actually", as in "What do you do for fun?" "Actually, I like to knit."  Why does 'actually' need to be at the beginning of that sentence? Seems like it would be more appropriate if the question was "I hear that one of your hobbies is crocheting."

This is a West Australian thing, or at least I first noticed it over here. We use actually all the bloody time. The moment I went native is when I realised I used it three times in one sentence. But it's spreading, then?

This is a West Australian thing, or at least I first noticed it over here. We use actually all the bloody time. The moment I went native is when I realised I used it three times in one sentence. But it's spreading, then?

I found myself doing that recently too. Maybe it was on a message board for an Aussie show? I'm one of those people who involuntarily picks up the accents and speech patterns of those around me at the moment.

I guess it has. It is mostly younger people who are doing this. The evolution of language from one generation to the next. From super to awesome to amazing in one lifetime.

Or, for those of us with longer lifetimes, before super there was neat and keen. I don't recall which came first. Cool has come in and out of linguistic fashion several times in the past 50+ years. Oh, and don't forget "righteous" in the 70s.
  • Love 6

Don't you mean "amazeballs?" Somebody poison me now.

I'm curious, who uses "amazeballs"? Lately, I find myself completely out of the loop. Is it the reality show dudes? And why "balls"? This is a weird inquiry.

Or, for those of us with longer lifetimes, before super there was neat and keen. I don't recall which came first. Cool has come in and out of linguistic fashion several times in the past 50+ years. Oh, and don't forget "righteous" in the 70s.

Lest we forget the mother of all insults.... Jive Turkey!!!!!

• Love 4
I'd like to submit "Imma" and "baby daddy".  Imma bugs me, but I loathe baby daddy.

I want to add "baby bump" to this list. I hate that phrase with every fiber of my being. I've only heard this phrase being used by adults; not teens, but adults. Why? This isn't the 1950s any more. We can say the word pregnant on tv. It has become trite and never have I thought it was cute. ymmv

Not that I follow any, but I cannot listen to any interview given by a hip hop artist or rapper. Every other sentence is followed by "You know what I'm saying?". No I don't know what you're saying. It has become a joke between my teenage daughter and me. If we're watching any type of show together, we will intentionally insert it into any dialogue for cheap entertainment. Yes we are both aware we need professional help. : )

• Love 9