Type keyword(s) to search

Why Grammar Matters: A Place To Discuss Matters Of Grammar

Message added by JTMacc99,

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Start Topic

How did "amazing" get to be so big. I hear it so many times on all sorts of shows and commercials. Sometimes I have to force myself to to use incredible, remarkable, or extraordinary so as not to use amazing. The influence is amazing.

• Love 3

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Miss Henry would share my dismay that children will no longer be taught cursive writing. 

How will they write their thank you notes?

How will they read the love letters that their grandparents and great-grandparents wrote to one another?

kariyaki, your second image reminds me of a friend (he passed away when his many, many demons finally caught up to him) who wanted to open a nightclub and call it "Club Baby Seal".  He was going to upholster the whole place in white faux fur.

• Love 2

How did "amazing" get to be so big. I hear it so many times on all sorts of shows and commercials. Sometimes I have to force myself to to use incredible, remarkable, or extraordinary so as not to use amazing. The influence is amazing.

If you watch Master Chef, you must be dying by the end  :)

I used to be in Toastmasters and a lot of our members were Koreans who were trying to strengthen their English.  If I had to review one of them, I'd occasionally remind them how difficult the English language can be.  Once, I told them if they wanted a good example and a good laugh as well, to check this out:

• Love 4

I'm sure that "samwich" is totally acceptable now according to a dictionary or two, but it's sand-wich--with an "n" and a "d".  Drives me to distraction.

Not only that, it's been further reduced to "sammy". I have been to restaurants that have Sammys on the menu. Makes me not want to order a single damn thing.

• Love 3

Back in the days before remote control, when there was that damned dial, I was always summoned into my mom's room to change the channel. I hated that, but I felt like I was really in charge of the television. (I was in pre-school, and I didn't know any better.) One of our local stations seemed to always have problems transmitting a signal, so an announcer would often interrupt a show with this message: "We are experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by."

So I would dutifully get up and go *stand by* that bad boy until programming resumed, because that's what I thought he meant. LITERALLY!

• Love 10

Not only that, it's been further reduced to "sammy". I have been to restaurants that have Sammys on the menu. Makes me not want to order a single damn thing.

What about the English cousin to 'sammy' - the 'sarnie'?

Yeah, but is outright colloquialism really the same thing as mispronunciation or misspelling?  The term "Sammy" may only even exist because of some habitual mispronunciation of a word, but in the context of those menu items that particular kind of food has long been regionally split (admittedly sometimes defined by different types of bread) with terms like "hoagie" "sando", "grinder", "sub", "hero", "sander", "sarnie", "buttie", "sanger".

To bring this all back to TV for a moment (remember TV? Heh!), it's amazing to me how much TV actually IGNORES this kind of regionalism.  Some movies occasionally make a big deal of this kind of thing, but IMO your typical TV show just plain ignores any variation on what the locals call stuff between two pieces of bread (although admittedly showing people eating isn't a big feature of most shows, at least in some genres, like cop shows, we seem to frequently hear people ORDERING food).

• Love 1

How did "amazing" get to be so big. I hear it so many times on all sorts of shows and commercials.

Our local news people (them again!) just love to use "incredible" when what they really mean is "surprising" or "unusual." So I guess that they think a lot of their news has no credibility. And they always overemphasize the second syllable for some reason.

Yeah, but is outright colloquialism really the same thing as mispronunciation or misspelling?  The term "Sammy" may only even exist because of some habitual mispronunciation of a word, but in the context of those menu items that particular kind of food has long been regionally split (admittedly sometimes defined by different types of bread) with terms like "hoagie" "sando", "grinder", "sub", "hero", "sander", "sarnie", "buttie", "sanger".

To bring this all back to TV for a moment (remember TV? Heh!), it's amazing to me how much TV actually IGNORES this kind of regionalism.  Some movies occasionally make a big deal of this kind of thing, but IMO your typical TV show just plain ignores any variation on what the locals call stuff between two pieces of bread (although admittedly showing people eating isn't a big feature of most shows, at least in some genres, like cop shows, we seem to frequently hear people ORDERING food).

Hmmmm......I just thought that sandwich was downgraded to sammich which led to sammy. They are normal deli sandwiches from what I've seen, and it's Wisconsin where I am, and it has been my whole life, so I'm not sure it's regional. But maybe.

In a recent season of Dancing with the Stars, one of the female stars spoke almost entirely in hastags in every interview, until Tom Bergeron finally said "Hashtag Stop".  

Well I much prefer amazing to the ever increasing use of "amazeballs." Haha, get it? I am edgy because I said "balls." Yes I am rolling my eyes.

• Love 7

Speaking of whatever recent slang may be popular right now--can I tell you how happy I am that the whole Mc (whatever) is over with?  At least I haven't heard it in a while.  I first heard it on As the World Turns when one teenager saw good looking guy and said something to her friend about Mr. Sexy McHottie. *gag* After that I was hearing it everywhere (not that it started with ATWT, just a coincidence, I assume).

My dad has an issue with everything being an event now.  A news event, a weather event...etc....

I heard Jim Cantore once on The Weather Channel say something about rain bands "coagulating".  I don't think that word means what he thinks it means :)

Speaking of whatever recent slang may be popular right now--can I tell you how happy I am that the whole Mc (whatever) is over with?  At least I haven't heard it in a while.  I first heard it on As the World Turns when one teenager saw good looking guy and said something to her friend about Mr. Sexy McHottie. *gag* After that I was hearing it everywhere (not that it started with ATWT, just a coincidence, I assume).

My dad has an issue with everything being an event now.  A news event, a weather event...etc....

I heard Jim Cantore once on The Weather Channel say something about rain bands "coagulating".  I don't think that word means what he thinks it means :)

I still use McDouchey on occasion, but only because I am wont to watch Grey's reruns.  :-)

Coagulating -  think he was going for coalescing?

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Coherent vs. cohesive.  I can't tell you how many times I've started to wonder about the molecular properties of something (say, a dress on Project Runway or a dish on Top Chef), only to remember that what the judges really meant were that they were well-planned or well-executed.  Which still isn't exactly right, but to think about it more causes blindness.

• Love 1

It's not nice to taunt your rope.

As long as we're on the subject of similar sounding words, a couple of Local News Twit gems that they use all the freakin' time:

People flaunting the law, as opposed to flauting it.

Calling an earthquake a trembler, instead of a temblor.

And then every time there's a trial, I get to hear some variation of "the suspect pleaded guilty yesterday" rather than "pled guilty." I suppose that if someone cut themselves, we'd hear a report that they bleeded all over the place.

• Love 6

I don't know if anyone else has ever heard this one, because its such a miniscule thing. Its taut, not taunt. I've heard it on those home repair shows, "Make sure the support rope is taunt." NO. Just...no.

People really do that?  I can't say I've ever heard it, but I must not be paying attention.

For me, the one I always notice is the word spelling "rediculous".  Where does that even come from and why do uncountable people seem to think that word is spelled that way?  Not sure I can blame this one specifically on TV, however!

• Love 1

It's not nice to taunt your rope.

As long as we're on the subject of similar sounding words, a couple of Local News Twit gems that they use all the freakin' time:

People flaunting the law, as opposed to flauting it.

Calling an earthquake a trembler, instead of a temblor.

And then every time there's a trial, I get to hear some variation of "the suspect pleaded guilty yesterday" rather than "pled guilty." I suppose that if someone cut themselves, we'd hear a report that they bleeded all over the place.

How about reporting from candlelight visuals?
  • Love 1

How about "orientated" instead of "oriented". Makes me grind my teeth. Orientated isn't even a word is it??

It is not. I know someone who works for a college doing student orientation things, and to tease her I ask her during the beginning of the new semester what she's orientating people on lately.

• Love 1

People really do that?  I can't say I've ever heard it, but I must not be paying attention.

For me, the one I always notice is the word spelling "rediculous".  Where does that even come from and why do uncountable people seem to think that word is spelled that way?  Not sure I can blame this one specifically on TV, however!

I'd like an answer to this too; so MANY people spell it that way now. And in textspeak, at least from what I've seen, it's redic.

I'd like an answer to this too; so MANY people spell it that way now. And in textspeak, at least from what I've seen, it's redic.

I know!  it's not even PRONOUNCED that way!

• Love 1

I'm one of those peevish holdouts on less vs. fewer, so watching TV - especially commercials - can be quite aggravating.  A few years ago, Mercedes ran a commercial for a coupe, touting more power, more this, more that and then ending with "less doors."  I'd have to change the channel lest my blood start (figuratively) boiling.

The oft-noted use of "and I" in place of "and me" is also a major irritant, and it seems just as widespread on television.

Characters saying "imply" when they mean "infer" (or vice versa, but it seems more common that way) bothers me, so I enjoyed an episode of Law & Order: SVU in which Munch corrected someone.  I'd like to drop Munch into a few shows with characters who don't understand the difference between inter and intra.

Like several others, I'm tired of hearing just about anything described as "amazing," but what bugs me even more is "awesome."  Thanks to Eddie Izzard, I say to the television, "It's the dog's bollocks, that's what it is."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I don't know about other shows, but on Bones, David Boreanaz says "Calvary" when he means "cavalry" way too damn often.

To slightly defend David, they had an episode called Calvary on the show he was in before Bones. Maybe he keeps getting confused. :-P

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer

Isn't it "lend" someone money instead of "loan" someone money? Or am I crazy? I grind my teeth every time I hear it on TV. Even news reporters say it.

Good question. Maybe lend is the verb, and loan is the noun? "...Countrymen, *loan* me your ears" doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Lol! And I'm sure someone will post the correct quote.

Yes, I was taught that lend was a verb and loan was a noun, but I hear it said wrong so often, I was just wondering if things had changed and loan was now becoming acceptable as a verb.  I hope not.

My "noun as verb" pet peeve is coupon.  Nails on a chalkboard.

I also hate when the Jeopardy! clue writers use "woman" as an adjective.  They like to have categories such as "Women Authors."  It's fundamentally offensive because it presumes that authors are men by default, but it's also just plain annoying because if they're going to persist in such nonsense they should use "Female Authors."

• Love 7

Isn't it "lend" someone money instead of "loan" someone money?  Or am I crazy?  I grind my teeth every time I hear it on TV.  Even news reporters say it.

According to Websters "loan" is both a noun AND a verb. 

Here's the most relevant bit:

Usage Discussion of LOAN

The verb loan is one of the words English settlers brought to America and continued to use after it had died out in Britain. Its use was soon noticed by British visitors and somewhat later by the New England literati, who considered it a bit provincial. It was flatly declared wrong in 1870 by a popular commentator, who based his objection on etymology. A later scholar showed that the commentator was ignorant of Old English and thus unsound in his objection, but by then it was too late, as the condemnation had been picked up by many other commentators. Although a surprising number of critics still voice objections, loan is entirely standard as a verb. You should note that it is used only literally; lend is the verb used for figurative expressions, such as “lending a hand” or “lending enchantment.”

My complaint is more that the people who make the show don't correct it.  Unless he is physically unable to say "send in the cavalry".  ;-)

Well, I can differentiate, but I have to think about it. If you've ever caught one of David's interviews, he seems a little less.....bookish. ;-)

[OT] I have never said 'borrow me some money', but I do say 'pitcher' instead of 'picture'. And my father still says 'scarler' instead of 'scholar'. That's one I have yet to grasp.[/OT]

Also, people on shows like Toddlers and Tiaras telling the girls they did "good" as if they were philanthropists or superheroes bother me.

Stage Moms using Toddlers to make themselves feel better are too busy preparing themselves for their eventual trip to Hell to pay attention to proper English!

• Love 4

I have noticed newscasters, using the word "again" inappropriately:  ..."again, this accident happened at 3:27pm..." when they never said the phrase originally in order to be referenced.  I don't know if I'm explaining myself too well because again, this is bothersome.

Again, right up there with actually and literally on my annoyance scale.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 3

The Colbert Report had a clip of Sean Hannity saying "literally" literally at least a dozen times. I thought of you all. It should be up at the Comedy Central site by now. It begins with the little "apparently" kid. This might work.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

My "noun as verb" pet peeve is coupon.  Nails on a chalkboard.

I also hate when the Jeopardy! clue writers use "woman" as an adjective.  They like to have categories such as "Women Authors."  It's fundamentally offensive because it presumes that authors are men by default, but it's also just plain annoying because if they're going to persist in such nonsense they should use "Female Authors."

To be fair, though, most authors historically have been men.  If the category does not include questions about male authors, then simply saying "Authors" is potentially confusing. It's better, therefore, to make the distinction when it applies.

I don't think it's confusing, and think it's telling that when the category does not happen to include any clues about female authors, it is not titled "Male Authors," but simply "Authors" (perhaps with some descriptor indicating genre, era, or the like).  Of course, based on the show's history, if they did do such a thing it would be "Men Authors," so it would still annoy me even if it no longer offended me.

I was watching an old episode of Law & Order: SVU last night, and heard a guest actor say "calvary" instead of "cavalry."  I thought immediately of this thread, having just discovered it yesterday.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2