Type keyword(s) to search

Why Grammar Matters: A Place To Discuss Matters Of Grammar

Message added by JTMacc99,

Nbc Brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Start Topic

One last thing:  If you go to other online dictionary websites, there's a little microphone icon that you click on to hear the proper pronunciation of the word.  On each one of those sites, the voice says "MIS-chie-vous."  Not "Mis-CHE-VEE-ous."

Ok, I'm done beating the dead horse. : )

Ha ha ha!  Glad you did.  I always appreciate the truth especially when I am in the right!  

I've decided that calling ourselves Grammar Nazis isn't accurate. We're more like Grammar Bird Watchers, reporting periodically about sightings of the Domestic Dodo, the Brainless Booby, and the Tufted Twit in the wild.

Another sighting from my favorite nesting site, the local news: "You may be wondering what does Mary and other spotter pilots do." Yes, I really wonder what does they do?

• Love 12

I've decided that calling ourselves Grammar Nazis isn't accurate. We're more like Grammar Bird Watchers, reporting periodically about sightings of the Domestic Dodo, the Brainless Booby, and the Tufted Twit in the wild.

Another sighting from my favorite nesting site, the local news: "You may be wondering what does Mary and other spotter pilots do." Yes, I really wonder what does they do?

Firstly, this is cracking me up.

Secondly, reading 'what does they do?' reminds me of this line from Young Frankenstein.

"Excuse me, darling, what is it exactly that you do do?"

• Love 1

Ha ha ha ha ha!  Love this (both comments).  The news and weather are fertile ground.  I have been too caught up in Big Brother to do my usual trolling.  I will be back in Bird Watching mode soon.  

Edited by wings707

Speaking of adding a syllable, would someone please coach the Biggest Loser coaches?

It's athlete.  Ath.  Lete.

Not ath-a-lete.  I can sympathize.  I grew up pronouncing it incorrectly until I saw a David Spade clip in which he ridiculed somebody for doing that.  When David Spade teaches you about proper language it's time to lie down for a spell.

I also learned shockingly late that W is double-you, not dubba-you.  Or heaven forbid, dubba-ya.

• Love 2

Speaking of adding a syllable, would someone please coach the Biggest Loser coaches?

Not ath-a-lete.  I can sympathize.  I grew up pronouncing it incorrectly until I saw a David Spade clip in which he ridiculed somebody for doing that.  When David Spade teaches you about proper language it's time to lie down for a spell.

I also learned shockingly late that W is double-you, not dubba-you.  Or heaven forbid, dubba-ya.

Post deleted.

Edited by DangerousMinds

I don't watch that show so I've never heard ath-a-lete but that reminds me two other pronunciations that drive me crazy.  First is "real-a-tor" for Realtor and the second is how many locals pronounce the nearby beach town of New Smyrna as "New Sa-myrna." 

People (on TV and otherwise) confusing adjectives for adverbs: drive safe, instead of safely, take it personal, instead of personally. 

This annoys me too.   I don't think it is a problem of confusing anything,  it is just not knowing proper grammar. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I am so out of my league here but TV newscasters and radio talk show hosts over use 'as well.'

Yep.  I was a secretary for many years, transcribing dictated correspondence.  One of the lawyers I worked for was overly fond of "as well", sometimes using it more than once in a short letter.  I always changed it to "too" or "also", or left it out.  If she noticed, she didn't comment.  She was also fond of "myself" instead of "I" or "me".  "Myself" is an unnecessary word, if you ask me. 

I haven't read this whole thread (most of it though) so I apologize if these have been mentioned -- "going forward", "in harm's way", and "boots on the ground".  Also the confusion over nauseate and nauseous.  You're not nauseous when your tummy's upset -- you're nauseated.  (The stuff you ate was nauseous.)

• Love 1

I haven't read this whole thread (most of it though) so I apologize if these have been mentioned -- "going forward", "in harm's way", and "boots on the ground".

"Boots on the ground" always reminds me of when my Mom would nag me to pick up my shoes and put them away. When they talk about  "troops on the ground", I get a mental image of everyone laying there unconscious.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

The time has come for me to cringe every time I tune into the news:

They're talking about leaf peeping.

Leaf peeping!  Where the hell did this ridiculous term come from?  Chicks peep.  Tourists look.  And screw up traffic.

• Love 1

Oh, I know people drive around to look at the autumn leaves.  I just want to know the fool who came up with that godawful term for it.

Probably some brainless news anchor who couldn't pronounce "foliage".

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

There are "Duck Tours" in Boston on amphibious military vehicles that can go from the city streets right into the Charles River.  Tourists on board are encouraged to quack at passersby on the sidewalks.

I think people on those Leaf Peeper bus tours should be made to "peep".  At gunpoint.

Wow, I had no idea how much I really, really hate the word "peep".  Some suppressed mishap with an Easter basket, perhaps?

• Love 3

Oh, I know people drive around to look at the autumn leaves.  I just want to know the fool who came up with that godawful term for it.

Possibly the same people who came up with the term "baby bump," which when I hear it makes me want to hurt someone.

• Love 5

Qoass- well I am red with shame! On a wonderful trip to Boston, I have indeed quacked on a Duck Tour! I guess if I were somewhere having a lot of fun, looking at beautiful leaves, I would "peep" on command, too!

That being said, until now I had never heard the term "Leaf Peeper". I hope like hell that I am alone the next time I hear it. There will be beverage snottage.

• Love 1

Leaf peeping being a stupid term aside, there is a definition of peep that means to look. Of course, it's a quick glance, not something you do when soaking in the autumn scenery in New England.  I'm guessing it was made up because of the cutesy rhyme.  I have to say, though, having grown up in Vermont and finding the autumns there breathtaking, I'm perfectly fine with anyone who wants to drive through New England during the fall.  In fact, I suggest everyone try it at least once in their life time (even if it does mess up traffic)--it's quite spectacular. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

I forgot that I was annoyed by this one, and then I remembered, so here we are.

Dear Hollywood,

I am looking forward to the new Terminator movie, but please refrain from calling it Terminator Genisys. Genisys is not a fucking word. Call it Genesis, and we'll be good to go.

Yours,

Stargazer

• Love 4

A couple of quick ones courtesy of the local news.

From The Department of Redundancy and Repetition Department: "Police arrested the 14-year old teen."

"They found the deceased shortly after the fire was distinguished." It was obviously a high class fire..

• Love 1

...but please refrain from calling it Terminator Genisys. Genisys is not a fucking word. Call it Genesis, and we'll be good to go....

Sorry, but it's an SEO thing--the Internet era's equivalent of Mad Men. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is likely here to stay for some time, and "Terminator Genisys" will find website references to that movie, whereas Terminator Genesis will also find things about the beginning (or genesis) of the entire franchise, and who knows what else.

I also hated the show title Extant because I was sure they chose it for SEO purposes since it was a seldom searched term in popular culture.

"They found the deceased shortly after the fire was distinguished." It was obviously a high class fire..

Or maybe something like: "...after the fire was distinguished from an attack by space aliens."
  • Love 2

SEO -- learn something new every day.

A TV news presenter was reading a quote, and the quote was also on screen.  The word "ailment" was misspelled as "aliment" on the screen, and sure enough, the presenter pronounced it as "aliment".

Sorry, but it's an SEO thing--the Internet era's equivalent of Mad Men. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is likely here to stay for some time, and "Terminator Genisys" will find website references to that movie, whereas Terminator Genesis will also find things about the beginning (or genesis) of the entire franchise, and who knows what else.

I had also never heard of SEO before, and now I'm doubly aggravated because that's probably where the Depends people got the idea for 'underwareness'.

Edited to correct plurality :-D

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

Just so y'all don't inadvertently bug me: I'm pretty sure SEO is never plural. ;>)

I was very satisfied to hear on a Bones rerun yesterday:

Booth: Him and me [did such and such]...

Brennan: ...and when you and he [did such and such]...

It was in character for Booth to use improper grammar, and it was just as in character for Brennan to say it correctly in the next sentence without saying directly to him that he had said it incorrectly (since they were a loving couple at that point). The writers didn't have to use the parallel dialogue, but I appreciated hearing it.

• Love 2

"I hope it wasn't fowl play." A written response to a news story about a person's undetermined cause of death. I have an image of chickens frolicking around a dead body.

Some book I once read had a private investigator reading some police reports, and the cop had written that he had gone to 'investiget' a death on a hiking trail.

I don't think it will, either, and talk of "doing a 360" (instead of 180) will live on in perpetuity as well.

Wait....people actually say that?

I don't think it will, either, and talk of "doing a 360" (instead of 180) will live on in perpetuity as well.

I was wondering about that too. I've done 360s literally, heh, no, seriously: in my car on ice, and while looking for my car in a parking lot (I don't have a key fob that makes my car chirp). But I'm not sure if I've heard it. Maybe it's a geographic specific idiom?

Yes they do. I've heard on scripted shows, live shows, and in real life. There have been multiple occasions where I heard managers talk about "turning it around 360 degrees" in meetings.

I have heard otherwise seemingly intelligent television personalities say "inneresting" rather than "interesting." Forgive me if that has already been mentioned.

When Shannen Doherty was on Charmed, she was always saying 'innyway' instead of 'anyway'. I now have this image of her and Alyssa driving Holly Marie Combs crazy. Between innyway and kore-ters, I'd have slapped somebody. :-P

Is there anyone here who would take being called "unconventionally beautiful" as a compliment?  That seems to be the coming term for women who are both of note and of color or size and I find it eye-rollingly patronizing.

• Love 3