Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Signs

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, sjankis630 said:

I know they have had better strategies and I think that it was even before Nate became the assistant. But my guess is that with Zava they went straight to "feed Zava the ball" and it worked over the first 6 or so games but now they need a better plan.

But that hadn't worked for three whole games and they still couldn't come up with anything better.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

It’s like when I made the mistake of cutting my hair super short and then had to go through the ugly regrowth stages with head bands. I can’t figure out what they are going for with his hair.

I believe they're going for Jack Grealish. 😆

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, kwnyc said:

(Why do I think Roy is telling how to get revenge on someone from experience?)

Is “rope” also a Britishism for “yarn”? 
Since Roy began his description of inflicting  revenge with soaking rope in red paint so the sleepy victim would think it was his own blood, maybe the beating is 99% psychological too?

6 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Maybe by the end everyone is joining in the 4 am workouts?

Sounds like a plan!  
Maybe Jamie will be leading them?

I suspect Jamie’s terrible hair styling is partly to help viewers quickly distinguish him from the others of his general hair and skin color (like Colin) in scenes where we see a group of males of similar age and BMI all dressed alike.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

If that is Roy’s revenge plan, thank god Phoebe didn’t tell him where the boy who gave her mouthwash lives!

Expand  

But she did. They all went to his house and shamed  him with signs to apologize. 

That’s right!! 🤦‍♀️. At least she only did it after Keeley told him he couldn’t beat up a child.

Didn't Trent Crimm briefly mention a daughter in a past episode? If that is the case then I see a pairing with Rebecca to be the family that the psychic predicted.  I would be satisfied with that since he has shown himself to be someone who would be a good partner for her. He knows football, has come to watch and appreciate the Richmond team and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Didn't Trent Crimm briefly mention a daughter in a past episode? If that is the case then I see a pairing with Rebecca to be the family that the psychic predicted.  I would be satisfied with that since he has shown himself to be someone who would be a good partner for her. He knows football, has come to watch and appreciate the Richmond team and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game.

Yup, in season one Ted made biscuits for Trent's daughter because she was turning three. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it goes, either, but at the same time, if they do intend to make that happen this season I think they should've at least had them interact more already.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

Didn't Trent Crimm briefly mention a daughter in a past episode? If that is the case then I see a pairing with Rebecca to be the family that the psychic predicted.

People are also pointing to his favorite Julie Andrew’s role (Queen in Princess Diaries) as foreshadowing.  Now I am hoping that happens!!  I can totally picture that he needs to interview her for his book, and things progress pretty quickly from there.  Another questionable relationship from a journalistic standpoint (I assume), but better than the boss/employee ones we keep getting.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Me from ME said:

I actually wondered if Trent drinking from a rainbow mug in this episode was hinting he was gay and that he might end up with Colin.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Well, we didn’t hear his side of the conversation, but Rebecca’s responses and facial expressions seemed to indicate that her test results (bloodwork, imaging) were not conducive to pregnancy.

Never mind. 

Edited by BetyBee
Just because

Rebecca wasn’t getting a call about a positive or negative pregnancy test.  She had fertility labs and tests run to see what are her chances of getting pregnant and carrying a baby to term.  She’d have to do that whether she wanted to try to conceive the good old fashion way, or via IVF.  The doctor was calling with her fertility assessment.

Gotta say, Keely has never been in my my Top Five characters.  I like her even less this season. She seems like a very sweet person and has a knack for PR, but she is still being written as an air head. Her staying has always been OTT, and it’s cute most of the time.  Her hairstyles though have been awful.  Is it bad wigs? If she and Jack are meant as a short term thing or more serious, I don’t care either way.  I just don’t think she should get back with Roy or Jamie.  And if there is a spin-off with Keely as a main character, I don’t know if I would stay watching.  Unless she brings Sam, Dani, Colin, Beard, Rebecca, Trent, Leslie, Roy, Jamie, Doc into her PR firm.  I would want Ted too, but then it wouldn’t be a spinoff!

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I have suspected that Rebecca is already pg since she mentioned that she was "late" to Keeley in an earlier episode. They were watching a match and Keeley took her to mean that she was late to the game. Rebecca started to say that she meant something else, but was interrupted. Didn't the psychic also say she was "with child"? Her facial expressions at the doctor's call could be shock at learning that she's pg. 

Rebecca is not pregnant. She was late meeting the psychic. She didn’t tell Keeley because she was embarrassed about even going. The psychic said she’d have a family/be a mother. That does mean pregnant and giving birth. She and Sam ended things what would be several months ago now and there’s been zero indication she’s been with anyone else in the interim. Like PP said she was there to see if getting pregnant at her age was even possible. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, highway61 said:

Largely agree with all the sentiments above. 
Maybe the answer is to not make Ted the C-plot (at best) in his own show.

I think this is the reason the third season is so lackluster. There are really no stories around Ted. Apart for the managing the team and a couple of minutes each episode with the family. Ted is also in a 5 episode funk this season and much of the positive energy around him is missing.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Night Cheese said:

Totally not a fan of Keeley hooking up with her boss. This show has a blindside when it comes to portraying inappropriate relationships.

I could have picked any one of several comments along the same line so I'm not picking on yours particularly @Night Cheese

Is an investor really her boss or just an investor in her company ?

• Like 1

I want Roy and Keeley together.  I think her hooking up with her boss is terrible.  Unethical, and certainly won’t help her PR image if she wants to be treated seriously.  Thank God her friend is gone though.

When the team got the news of Zava, I loved the look shared between Jamie and Roy.  It was epic.

Rebecca broke my heart and I’m sad/furious that Keeley was making out with Jack and didn’t see her call.

Ted conquering the panic attack and his speech to the team was AWESOME.  I hope we’re out of the woods though, and heading into a happier place. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not that I know of. Yarn in the US would be called wool in the UK. Rope is just known as uh rope as far as I'm aware although it may be a Britishism for something else I'm unaware of.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I actually wondered if Trent drinking from a rainbow mug in this episode was hinting he was gay and that he might end up with Colin.

I think this is much more likely than him ending up with Rebecca: i'm going to be utterly flabbergasted if he turns out to be straight!

9 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I could have picked any one of several comments along the same line so I'm not picking on yours particularly @Night Cheese

Barbra refered to Jack as “our boss” and in the beginning of the episode when they were deciding to expand or stay small, it seemed like Jack had the final say. So for the purposes of this show, Jack seems to have some level of control over the business, whether or. It that is typical is more relevant, they have chosen to put Jack in a position of power. It’s not as clear cut as a typical boss/employee relationship, but it’s definitely a very bad idea to have a rebound fling with the investor if you’re very new and not financially sound company. There’s not many ways out of this that end well.  Prior to the start of the season I had weird vibes from whomever the investor was, and while Jack seems cool, Rebecca told Keeley how Rupert pulled her in by being charming. Keeley is becoming increasingly isolated from Rebecca, it was intentional to show her missing two calls from her. Either her and Jack are to be together, or it ends. The best outcome would be for them to decide it was bad idea and just move on, or that Keeley is still in love with Roy and Jack let’s it go on and doesn’t pull her investment, but that seems unlikely.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Gotta say, Keely has never been in my my Top Five characters.  I like her even less this season. She seems like a very sweet person and has a knack for PR, but she is still being written as an air head.

Keeley was never one of my favorites either. I don't dislike her. I'm just not invested enough in the character to warrant extended screen time away from the team and Ted. We are supposed to be watching her professional growth into a competent buisness women yet she isn't armed with basic knowledge. Not knowing what a CFO is? Not knowing anything about the a major investor? It seems that the show is doing the character a disservice but I guess that they are choosing to have her "learn on the job."

Zava dominated much of the team interactions so, now that he is gone, we will hopefully see more of Sam, Dani, etc. I am particularly interested in Colin and how his story is presented.

Ted needs to find his place this season. He seems to be on the outside of every storyline.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

No worries. I was going by what Barbara said in the last episode. When asked who Jack was, she said something along the lines of "the head of the VC that funds this company...our boss." I'm not familiar with the nuance of VCs, so I took that at face value. Either way, boss or not-technically-boss, I think it falls under "don't (expletive) where you eat" with regards to personal and professional relationships. Just my take, of course.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I'm not saying that Keeley sleeping with Jack was a good idea, it's not, it was just more of a general question about her being the boss rather than what she really is which is an investor, and from what we know seems like a major investor but she probably couldn't fire Keeley even if she wanted to without needing other investors to vote the same way, just not put anymore cash into the business but investors usually just want a return on their investment. She may well be Barbara's boss as she was put their by the investors to look after their investment & hops from comapny to company once they are up & running smoothly.

Let's put it another way, if I invest in a company, any company, does that make me the boss of everyone in that company? What if I invested $100 in Uber when it was a start up and kept my investment, should I then never date an Uber driver?

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Since Roy began his description of inflicting  revenge with soaking rope in red paint so the sleepy victim would think it was his own blood, maybe the beating is 99% psychological too?

How would you beat somebody with yarn? No, he meant wrap a rope around your hand, to protect it, soak it in red paint and then beat the bully with it.

It's fucking Roy Kent. There is not an once of subtlety in the man.

• Like 5

Why are so many of the relationships on this show so problematic?

• Michelle with her former therapist.
  • Keeley with Jack
  • Rebecca with Sam
  • Nate with the formerly hostile hostess (I don't like Nate, but I also don't like when someone who has been awful for no damn reason is suddenly rehabbed as legit love interest)
  • Beard with Jane
  • Like 15
  • Useful 2

Ted took a huge step when he used the tools Doc Sharon gave him to fight off the panic arrack. And he followed that by doing what he does best: motivating his team.

It was another huge thing in the last episode when he was able to tell Michelle how he felt and set up some boundaries.

Personal growth and healing don't make for the most compelling physical actions, but Ted is becoming a stronger, healthier person.

End game for Ted is going to leave him prepared for whatever comes next, and I hope that doesn't get lost in the fireworks that I'm sure will occur at the end of the season.

• Like 16

if they do intend to make that happen this season I think they should've at least had them interact more already.

The rainbow mug notwithstanding, Trent has shown himself to be a silent observer without interacting much with anyone. It makes me think that he has picked up on a lot about Rebecca so when they do interact he will be a little ahead of the introductory phase.

• Like 1

I had an admittedly dark thought that maybe Sassy dies and Rebecca takes on Nora. She is her Godmother.

Is this too dark for this show?

ETA: Dang: forgot about the dad.

Edited by Arynm
  • Sad 2

I didn’t sign up for the Keeley bungling as a PR firm boss show. I hated her friend that she fired, and I’m not a fan of her and Jack because her end game better be Roy. I’ve missed the football players as well. 

• Like 8
9 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I want Roy and Keeley together.  I think her hooking up with her boss is terrible.  Unethical, and certainly won’t help her PR image if she wants to be treated seriously.  Thank God her friend is gone though.

When the team got the news of Zava, I loved the look shared between Jamie and Roy.  It was epic.

Rebecca broke my heart and I’m sad/furious that Keeley was making out with Jack and didn’t see her call.

Ted conquering the panic attack and his speech to the team was AWESOME.  I hope we’re out of the woods though, and heading into a happier place. 

That was the best. The chemistry between some of them is epic, but not all. I guess we will see who the "family" is sooner or later.

I like waitress and Nate but the model made no sense at all. Why did she ask him to call? She's in no need of dates, she can pick and choose and I'm sure is ignored by some. It went the way you'd think, but Nate talking about his family was sweet and calling his mom showed his underbelly again.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, debraran said:

Why did she ask him to call? She's in no need of dates, she can pick and choose and I'm sure is ignored by some. It went the way you'd think, but Nate talking about his family was sweet and calling his mom showed his underbelly again.

The model probably was seen with Nate The Great and photos were posted online. 
Then she was done with him and on to her next place to be seen.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, debraran said:

I like waitress and Nate but the model made no sense at all. Why did she ask him to call? She's in no need of dates, she can pick and choose and I'm sure is ignored by some. 

I figured Rupert paid her since it was Rupert’s assistant that brought him the message. He probably assumed that Nate would take her to another hotspot and get papped again or embarrassed (either is fine with Rupert) to keep Nate on the leash and on the high life. I’m sure Rupert didn’t expect Nate would take her to his local spot to have a real date. That wasn’t part of the model’s bargain, so she bailed. I was only surprised that she didn’t say it explicitly to embarrass Nate more. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I agree with a lot of the comments.  I want more time Sam, Jamie, Dani, and Isaac, and less time with Ted's ex and kid, and Keely's work colleagues.  Keely's fling with Jack is cliche, even if they did imply Keely was bi in season 1.  It's clearly just for the girl-girl titillation factor.  And Zava did make the team worse, as all they did for several games was feed him the ball and then stand back and watch.  His leaving is a blessing in disguise.  I like Ted's coaching skills coming into question.  You're not there to be your players' friend.  You're there to be their boss.  Maybe some of that comes from him being away from his son and trying to compensate by being his son's friend (playing online video games with him, etc.).  Nate and the restaurant hostess have both been awful, so maybe they deserve each other.  Or maybe they can learn how to be nicer people together.  Not sure why they introduced the 'Rebecca wants a baby' side story if they're not going anywhere with it.  Or maybe they are.  I thought a more relatable plot would be that Sam gets her pregnant, and it's a surprise.

Edited by Dobian
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Trillium said:

The psychic said she’d have a family/be a mother. That does mean pregnant and giving birth

Whoa, you absolutely can have a family and be a mother without getting pregnant and giving birth. You can adopt. You can have a surrogate. You can be a stepmother. You can raise your nephews. You can be a mother figure in several different ways that do not involve pregnancy and birth.

I'm not conviced the Doctor was telling Rebecca she cannot have children, but I'm going to be pissed if he says she can. Didn't she try with Rupert? Are we going to assume she can now?

The moment Beard said they could fly to Kansas and beat whoever bullied Henry I knew Henry was the bully. Roy's speech was fantastic.

Zava was... this? Kinda of a waste of time and opportunity; he didn't give us anything new, did he? We've seen the team like that before in season 1, not motivated, down, losing etc. What was the point if we didn't learn anything knew about our players? The actor was good though. 

Zoreaux checking Zava's glutes was hilarious, as well as Roy and Colin.

Keeley being bi has been hit since the very beggining there, so zero surprises there. It's a bad idea to sleep with your boss, but like they handed Sam/Rebecca I hope it just pass: Jack had her fun and is gone.

Shandy is trash, and Barbara is unsufferable. She really needs to lighten up. The probleme with Keeley PR as well as Zava is that those plots did not connect us with the team and Ted. And this show is all about Ted and the team.

I'm sorry, what is that speacial about that fucking table? What is the point of an empty table? Is the restaurant bussines so great in England that the owners can afford to have an empty table all day? This plot is so fucking stupid, I really can't.

I don't care about Nate, the manager, the model or Jade. that

• Like 4

I tried hard to think back of one time I laughed this episode, and came up with zero times. That is a first for me and Ted Lasso.  Not one of the story lines was enjoyable viewing for me and I feel like I could have just skipped this one.  What the heck?  Weird direction.  

Ok, one thing I did like — seeing Ted breathe and work his way through the panic attack.  That was great and my heart went out to him.

I know we aren’t supposed to comment on Juno’s build and this really isn’t — it’s about the verrrrrry low cut top Keely was wearing at the office and she was leaned over the entire scene.  A — crazy office attire, especially for the boss and B — knowing what we know now, how did Jack not stare?!?  Like “eyes up here, Jack”!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 6
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I suspect Jamie’s terrible hair styling is partly to help viewers quickly distinguish him from the others of his general hair and skin color (like Colin) in scenes where we see a group of males of similar age and BMI all dressed alike.

That makes sense. I got Jamie and Colin confused during the first season. Then I got those two straight, but Will joined so I got him confused with Colin.

I do think there must be a hairstyle that isn’t hideous and can make Jamie stand out from Colin and others. It’s time for Isaac to give him a cut.

• Like 4

I don't think Trent is gay or bi. I think the mug is a red herring. It was probably just a mug available in the break room. Now that you all have mentioned him and Rebecca, that could be interesting. She could be a step mum to his daughter. BTW, I don't know what her age is supposed to be in the show, but Hilary Swank just had twins at 48.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Let's put it another way, if I invest in a company, any company, does that make me the boss of everyone in that company? What if I invested $100 in Uber when it was a start up and kept my investment, should I then never date an Uber driver?

The thing is it seems that Jack invested enough to have a big influential stake. She might even be a majority shareholder. We haven’t been told exactly what the structure of KJPR is, but it’s possible that she has firing power over Keeley.

Or to use your analogy, no $100 probably has no ethical impact on whether you can date an Uber driver. But if you invested enough at whatever point that you became the majority shareholder of Uber and you could dictate corporate policies and possibly even set the terms of employment, then no you could never ethically date an Uber driver. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Electruck said:

I can’t tell the difference between bad acting and bad writing, but I suspect both with Jack. 

The actress is pretty good on For All Mankind. So I'd say it's the writing.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 6
10 hours ago, Raachel2008 said:

Whoa, you absolutely can have a family and be a mother without getting pregnant and giving birth. You can adopt. You can have a surrogate. You can be a stepmother. You can raise your nephews. You can be a mother figure in several different ways that do not involve pregnancy and birth.

I'm not conviced the Doctor was telling Rebecca she cannot have children, but I'm going to be pissed if he says she can. Didn't she try with Rupert? Are we going to assume she can now?

The moment Beard said they could fly to Kansas and beat whoever bullied Henry I knew Henry was the bully. Roy's speech was fantastic.

Zava was... this? Kinda of a waste of time and opportunity; he didn't give us anything new, did he? We've seen the team like that before in season 1, not motivated, down, losing etc. What was the point if we didn't learn anything knew about our players? The actor was good though. 

Zoreaux checking Zava's glutes was hilarious, as well as Roy and Colin.

Keeley being bi has been hit since the very beggining there, so zero surprises there. It's a bad idea to sleep with your boss, but like they handed Sam/Rebecca I hope it just pass: Jack had her fun and is gone.

Shandy is trash, and Barbara is unsufferable. She really needs to lighten up. The probleme with Keeley PR as well as Zava is that those plots did not connect us with the team and Ted. And this show is all about Ted and the team.

I'm sorry, what is that speacial about that fucking table? What is the point of an empty table? Is the restaurant bussines so great in England that the owners can afford to have an empty table all day? This plot is so fucking stupid, I really can't.

I don't care about Nate, the manager, the model or Jade. that

Sorry that was a BAD phone autocorrect. I absolutely do NOT think you must birth a child to be a mother. Fucking autocorrect. 

• Like 10
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

I just thought about this. I will be pissed if Nate’s redemption comes about by him re-joining Richmond and helping the team beat the current team (name escapes me) he coaches for. That would be worse than all the Zavas (whom I did not mind), all the Jacks, and all the Shandys for me.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
21 hours ago, lasu said:

Nate with the formerly hostile hostess (I don't like Nate, but I also don't like when someone who has been awful for no damn reason is suddenly rehabbed as legit love interest)

Can someone please remind me why the hostess has been so rude to Nate? I mean she was hating on him back when he was just shy regular Nate and not the asshole Nate he is now. I remember how she dogged him when his parents were there but I cannot remember the context.

I would hate to see Nate come back to Richmond. What would his role be assistant coach? That would mean that everyone was correct and Ted and Beard and now Roy are the worst at coaching this game. I hope that is not the case.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

I would hate to see Nate come back to Richmond. What would his role be assistant coach? 

Given Ted had been pondering why he is still over in England earlier, Nate could get the manager gig if he came back. 

Though it would appear to be a hard sell. He might have the know how when it comes to the game, and could conceivably get better at managing people once his issues get addressed, but he's already burn so many bridges with the current players at Richmond.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sjankis630 said:

Can someone please remind me why the hostess has been so rude to Nate?

He was a “nobody” when they first met and didn’t meet the aesthetic needed for the table that might draw others into the restaurant.  Snobbery pure and simple.  He dithered and stumbled about and then overcorrected (after spitting in the men’s room) to get the table (fine) and ask her out (nope).  I think she was holding onto the first impression, especially when he was trying to impress her with his new important job and explaining that was why she hadn’t seen him around, like she would remember him and wonder.

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

At the risk of profiling, also think she is Eastern European, and there is no stare of contempt like an Eastern European stare of contempt.

Yes, I saw a post on Tumblr about Jade that she wasn't being rude by British/European standards, but Americans are reading it as rude and/or racist, which I thought was an interesting take. I mean, it's an American show set in Britain, so I'm curious how they would like her to be read as a character, especially in light of the fact that she turns nice after Nate gets dumped at the window table (that she's never wanted him to have?).

I am American and don't think Jade was being rude. Before Nate was an ass, the window table was not Jade's call but management's, is what I thought. After he became an ass, I assumed the issue was he was trying to impress her with his status, and she did not care he was locally famous.

• Like 3