Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Festival

• Start Topic

Abbott Elementary rallies together to fight the threat from Legendary Charter Schools. Ava pitches a festival to draw parents to school and collect their signatures for a petition. However, Draemond shows up with the intention of derailing the event.

Airdate: 03/15/2023

• Like 1

Bringing back Tariq (who was quite funny) was a good use of a discarded character.  Maybe he can come back once or twice a season.

Like Jacob, I had to look up Jazmin Sullivan.  She's a singer (won a couple Grammies) and grew up in Philadelphia.  This show consistently honors its Philly roots and inspiration.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Like 20
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Was Tariq always that hot?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!

You know, in Season 1, I seem to recall worshipping Ava.  Now?  Hmmm..  I don't feel anything.

I love the Paramore shout out.  I'm always reading social media posts saying that "Black people love Paramore", so much so that there is a podcast named that.  LOL.

A Pro Amazon song called "She gon' get this package". 

I swear, that's the first time this season I actually got to see the closing tag here in Canada.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 12
3 hours ago, Roaster said:

Like Jacob, I had to look up Jazmin Sullivan.  She's a singer (won a couple Grammies) and grew up in Philadelphia.  This show consistently honors its Philly roots and inspiration.

Jazmine is awesome.  I love her song "Dumb", but I think her most famous one now is called "Pick up your Feelings".  Also "Bust your Windows".  I actually thought she might show up.  LOL.

If anyone wants to be a Jacob about it, I have to assume the Lee Daniels joke was referencing the title of his movie "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire".  The rest of his movies have a simpler title.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 11
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jazmine is awesome.  I love her song "Dumb", but I think her most famous one now is called "Pick up your Feelings".  Also "Bust your Windows".  I actually thought she might show up.  LOL.

I’ve seen her live. She’s great. Her latest album Heaux Tales is fantastic and her single “In Love with Another Man” will have you in tears. “If I could, could forget him …”

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I had never heard of Paramore, but I knew Lee Daniels.

Like @Ms Blue Jay says, Paramore has this reputation of being a white band Black people love. I wouldn’t say I love them but I have one of their songs, “Hallelujah,” on one of my workout playlists and it’s awesome. My sibling likes them too. I was pretty shocked that Jacob didn’t know Lee Daniels. His Black boyfriend didn’t put him on to Lee Daniels?

Tariq just chilling in the dunk tank had me dying.

Henceforth: “Hey Empress1, how you doing?” Me: “Good. Cute. You?”

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 6
  • LOL 12
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Like @Ms Blue Jay says, Paramore has this reputation of being a white band Black people love. I wouldn’t say I love them but I have one of their songs, “Hallelujah,” on one of my workout playlists and it’s awesome. My sibling likes them too. I was pretty shocked that Jacob didn’t know Lee Daniels. His Black boyfriend didn’t put him on to Lee Daniels?

I love "Decode" from the Twilight soundtrack.  That's a very white answer of mine.  I never get tired of that song.  Hayley has an incredible voice.  

• Like 7

I'm old so I don't follow the new music, whether black or white artists.  I will hear new music if the artists are on TV, like on SNL or one of the talk shows.   I used to hear more new music before the pandemic, as they would play it in stores and the gym. 

When I was a kid we would know what was popular by listening to regular radio, both top 40 and FM.  This is a dumb question, but how do people know what's popular now?  YouTube?  Instagram?

• Like 12

I loved how Draemond got up on that stage thinking he was soooo silky smooth with his presentation at first.  And then he got shot down like that Chinese balloon.

I loved seeing all the teachers and parents.  And Tariq!  He really is cute.

1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm old so I don't follow the new music, whether black or white artists.  I will hear new music if the artists are on TV, like on SNL or one of the talk shows.   I used to hear more new music before the pandemic, as they would play it in stores and the gym. 

When I was a kid we would know what was popular by listening to regular radio, both top 40 and FM.  This is a dumb question, but how do people know what's popular now?  YouTube?  Instagram?

I hear ya.  I have no idea what's popular nowadays.  I'm still playing my old CDs and I've got my old albums in the shed with the record player. 😅  

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

For me, older Millennial, I think it was TV soundtracks, Twitter, YouTube.  I use Shazam to identify songs whenever I hear something in a store or on a show/movie.  Other people use Spotify.  I barely do, but everyone I know slightly younger than I do does.  

For Gen Z it is definitely TikTok!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Tariq with another great performance! He definitely knows what his people like cause everyone was vibing. Although I had to go back and watch his first one for the kids from last season, cause that shit slapped. 

Aggro Jacob was great, as was the mini cease fire between him and the physics teacher. 

• Like 16
11 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I do not want him back with Janine, though.

I think they're done with each other and have moved on.  It's nice that they seem to be friendly though, and kudos to Gregory for calling him to help out. 

• Like 15

Did anyone else notice how quick Gregory agreed to work with Janine? I'm surprised they have been professional at school and haven't tried to kiss again. Tariq proved how much he needs Janine I don't know how a rapper wouldn't recognize a famous rap  song. The parents turned against the charter school when the term lottery came up. No new episode next week.

• Like 8

That was such a great episode, who would have thought that Tariq (and Gregory) would be the one to save Abbot? Say what you will about the guy, and there is a LOT to say, but he does know how to work a crowd.  It was amazing when Draemond came in like a jackass thinking he could use their event to try and get the parents to side with him, but for as smooth as he is he sure did buckle when the parents started to really grill him, it filled me with such schadenfreude. This was a great use of their reoccurring and minor characters, the way they picked up so many threads from through the season was so seamless, Amber, the BITCH mom, and especially the mom who's son got kicked out if the character school, everything really came together just in time to save the day. Even the kids love on insult comedy got used against him! Even Tariq came in with that "playing Powerball with our kids" which I think was what fully buried Draemond, there is no great way to spin that one. Then Mr. Johnson came to literally sweep him off the stage like trash! For as much crap as the teachers take, the community really did have their back in the end, which must feel amazing. 

I'm really surprised that Jacob hasn't heard of Lee Daniels, I've never heard of Jazmin Sullivan but now I feel like I need to check her out. Paramore is awesome, I've liked them since high school. 

The random tension between Jacob and the science teacher continues to be a hilarious running gag. 

"He said I still hate Jacob, pass the chips."

"There were chips?" 

Lots of good things happened in this episode, but I'm especially glad that Amber got her fancy purse. 

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Great episode. Had me laughing and agree (on a shallow note) that Tariq is looking good. I do not want him back with Janine, though.

Did he look different to anyone else? Maybe his face is just slimmer, but it caught me off guard for a second.

• Like 12
8 minutes ago, RainbowBrite said:

Did he look different to anyone else? Maybe his face is just slimmer, but it caught me off guard for a second.

He looked like himself but slimmer, and his clothes were not as baggy to me.

• Like 10
17 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Isn't Ava dating a famous athlete who could have made an appearance? I guess she doesn't like to mix her personal and professional lives (lol).

She's dating Andre Iguodala who plays for the Golden State Warriors in California. Not likely to show up on a moment's notice.  (I swear someone on the writing team has a Bay Area sports team hard on.)

Miss Barbara's earrings were dreadful.

Liked the quick conversation between Erica and Gregory in the car where it was apparent that she knows everything.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm really surprised that Jacob hasn't heard of Lee Daniels, I've never heard of Jazmin Sullivan but now I feel like I need to check her out. Paramore is awesome, I've liked them since high school. 

Yes, do.  Her voice is gorgeous.  Bust Your Windows was my jam back in the day.  It is a deeply R&B revenge song but with a tango melody/beat.  A lot of ballroom dance showcases dance to it! 

24 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

He looked like himself but slimmer, and his clothes were not as baggy to me.

He is slimmer.  He posted a picture of himself on twitter promoing last night's show and he was definitely thinner.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Great episode. Love the conclusion to the charter arc. Loved everyone coming together to keep Abbot non charter. Just wanted to mention a quick bit that had me rolling. Melissa getting called out for stapling a note to a kid's jacket and blaming "Jacob" was amusing enough. The kicker was on rewatch. The scene before in the lounge had her holding a red stapler with intent. A plan was in place! 🤣 Just love this show!

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

I remember Bust Your Windows but I didn't know Jazmin Sullivan sang it.  I had some boyfriends who broke my little heart back in the day, but I never would have done any property damage--especially to their ride. 

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, RainbowBrite said:

Gone is the gold front tooth from last season. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I don't know how a rapper wouldn't recognize a famous rap  song.

I assume this is in reference to Tariq talking about how his Legendary Schools riff infringed on "an existing song" as though he didn't recognize he used the California Love melody?

Tariq is smart in some ways, but dumb/obtuse in many others, so I can believe he knows California Love, but thinks he did something different.

Vanilla Ice did the same thing with Ice Ice Baby.  He was accused of stealing the bass line from David Bowie, and even did interviews where he said, "their song goes ding-ding-ding-da-da-ding-ding, ding-ding-ding-da-da-ding-ding.  But my song's different!  It goes ding-ding-ding-da-da-ding-ding, ding-ding-ding-ding-da-da-ding-ding."

Now I am not saying Tariq and younger Vanilla Ice are of the same intelligence, or are the same person.  But has anyone ever seen both of them together at the same time?  I don't think so ...

One thing (of many) I loved was Tariq came back to town with nothing and was pretty forthcoming about it in the talking head segment.  But once he dropped a few bars on stage with the adults, they were into it, to the point of that one dad calling someone and telling them they should come over.  Would these adults pay to listen to Tariq?  Who knows.  Is the bar for a school event's entertainment low?  Sure.  But people were on their feet so fast and genuinely enjoying it.  Throw in his "youth pastor" and "playing Powerball with our kids!" comments, and Tariq needs to MC all of Abbott's future events and he deserves to be paid for it.

Btw, for those who wanted more of the teacher with the luscious eyelashes, I think he was dunked in the dunk tank by Mr. Johnson at the end.

Thank you to all who clued me in to Jazmin being the original artist behind "Bust Your Windows."  I only know the song from Amber Riley on "Glee" season 1 and really like it.  I will now listen to Jazmin's version.

Crystal the bitch s-l-u-never mind is such a bad bitch and I love her.  I also really liked how Barbara genuinely complimented her on being one of the most involved parents.  She wasn't overcompensating because of her earlier mistakes with Crystal - it's not like Crystal was around to hear the compliment - Barbara really meant it.

Abbott on Abbott on Abbott, Abbott on Abbott on Abbott ...

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

For me, older Millennial, I think it was TV soundtracks, Twitter, YouTube.  I use Shazam to identify songs whenever I hear something in a store or on a show/movie.  Other people use Spotify.  I barely do, but everyone I know slightly younger than I do does.  

For Gen Z it is definitely TikTok!  

Yep, this has been my observation as well. For myself, I discover new stuff ether through recommendations from people I talk with online, or when I'm flipping through some of the Music Choice channels, or sometimes in TV shows or movies. Also occasionally some of my favorite bands will mention artists they're into, so I'll check them out, 'cause, hey, if my favorite bands like them, well...:D. 

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love "Decode" from the Twilight soundtrack.  That's a very white answer of mine.  I never get tired of that song.  Hayley has an incredible voice.  

I only know a handful of Paramore's songs, but I do like what I have heard. "The Only Exception" is probably my favorite that I've heard by them. 

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I only know a handful of Paramore's songs, but I do like what I have heard. "The Only Exception" is probably my favorite that I've heard by them. 

As you know we love to recommend music to each other! 😊

If you haven't tried these , try

- Ain't it Fun
- Crushcrushcrush
- Decode
- I Caught Myself
- Misery Business 
- That's What you Get 

I think you'll like them!  Their newest single is "This is Why", but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet....

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Don't know if I missed it,but did anyone mention hearing Tariq (at the end) looking for a ride back to NY? And then BACK to Philly after he packs his stuff? Did anyone else hear that or am I losing it?  

Nope I heard it too.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, sweetandsour said:

Abbott on Abbott on Abbott, Abbott on Abbott on Abbott ...

Tariq may be a bum, but he's talented one! 

7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

A lot of funny stuff... Erika being messy (I love her!). 

Her parting words to Gregory had me rolling.  I like that she genuinely supports Janine despite stirring the pot. 

1 minute ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Don't know if I missed it,but did anyone mention hearing Tariq (at the end) looking for a ride back to NY? And then BACK to Philly after he packs his stuff? Did anyone else hear that or am I losing it?  

You heard it right.  

• Like 4

I loved Ava's response to Janine's "you look great" and her mugging the camera as she was walking away.  Her self-confidence knows no bounds.

I do like it when they bring in more characters from the school, it makes the show more rounded to me.  I laughed when Melissa tried to blame a random white guy on stapling the kids' jackets.  Erika is a trip too, it's good that Janine is maintaining her friendship.

I was afraid that the school would rally around Draemond, but I was glad to see everyone join together to give him the boot!  I'm surprised he had the nerve to stay and approach Barbara after his embarrassment.

Amber's "finding someone on your level" to Gregory was extremely cold.  I didn't think she was that mean.

Edited by peridot
  • Like 6
23 hours ago, Annber03 said:

also laughed at the running joke of Jacob trying, and failing, to subtly look up various famous black people XD. And it was funny and a bit startling to see him so jumpy and ready to fight, too!

It was a highlight of the season for me because I immediately recognized He was doing Michael Keaton in Batman.

I have participated in dunk tank fundraisers and they are fun when outdoors on a summer day. Inside a gymnasium in the spring, maybe not so much.

My grandma was a grade school librarian for many years (which Abbott sadly doesn’t have), and some things that come out of Barbara’s mouth remind me so much of her. Tonight’s was “never have I ever been so happy to hear such explicit content!”

1 hour ago, peridot said:

Amber's "finding someone on your level" to Gregory was extremely cold.  I didn't think she was that mean.

She said “more your speed,” which I wouldn’t take away as necessarily the same thing. But it was very direct, orange Teflar bag and all.

Didn’t know Zack Fox had some body ody under there and I wasn’t mad about it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Tariq calling out Legendary Schools guy for "playing Powerball with your kids" was beautiful. I'm glad Gregory called him. Tariq's redeeming quality is that he seems to actually care about those students. "Janine, don't try and fix that!" when she was going to pick up the scoreboard by herself was perfectly executed. And I was glad Jacob and Mr. Morton were hugging and playing nice, even if it was for just the one night. I recognized the name Jazmin Sullivan but couldn't place her, had no idea who Lee Daniels was, and somehow completely didn't even hear the Paramore reference. 

• Like 7