Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E19: Semifinals: Week 1 Results

• Start Topic

Mara Justine made it through. Andrey Moraru did not. I think I'm going to be sick.

4/6 acts that made it through tonight were singers. So much for this being a variety show. Just ugh.

Absolutely painful filler nonsense with Howie pretending to be an usher.

Not at all happy with tonight's results.

• Love 10

For a few minutes I thought we'd be rid of Mara.  I even voted just so she wouldn't make it through.  She is the worst I've heard on any competition shows.  

And just because it needs to be repeated.  Howie is not funny.

• Love 6

I need someone to explain it to me slowly, using small words: how in the holy hell did Mara Justine get through?

Poor Andrey Moraru. A talented guy who's clearly dedicated to his craft, so of course he got the boot.

When it came down to Aerial Animation and David and Leeman, I agreed with the judge's choice. David and Leeman had a rough quarter final, but they outshone Aerial Animation last night. What a shame, too, because we've seen that AA can do better.

"Yes! We wanted more Howie Mandel shenanigans!" said no one ever.

• Love 11

I wasn't nuts about Piers during his time on AGT, but I would love him to come back just to torture Howie as he used to do so well. My throat is hoarse from my yelling at my television screen, Shut UP Howie.   He really is a gasbag and a bore.

Wow, a show that started off with such promise in June is dying in August.  

So, that's Ariana.  I know only of her because I watch Big Brother and her brother is on it.  Very weak performance, fit right in with AGT.  Don't like her brother either! 

Happy for Emily and Serendip.   More for Serendip because I thought they might not make it to the finals.  So, yay, I guess.

• Love 5

Can't believe Andrey went home!  Such a shame, we just loved him!

Ugh, Mara Justine.

So half an hour into the show, we knew only the first act that went through.  I used to love Howie Mandell back in his "Bobby's World" days, but now I just found him so annoying.  The fake usher was a very tedious and un-funny waste of 10 minutes or so.

Who the heck is Ariana whatever her name was, and why couldn't I understand a single word she was singing?  The way she kept flipping her hair around reminded me of Jan Brady.

I think this show has jumped the shark.

• Love 3

I think what was even more annoying than Howie's endless filler skit (which seems to be a weekly thing now) was when he was patting himself on the back when Mike Super got through. Just... ugh. I'm fine with Mike making it through, but it was so annoying how Howie was basically like, "Ha ha ha! My wildcard made it through and yours didn't! I'm the bestest judge EVAH!"

• Love 8

Well, I think Emily West has this in the bag. Unless there are a ton of tweenage girls voting, and then it'll be Miguel Dakota. I wouldn't pick either of them, but that's just me. Yeah, Emily has a good voice, but she's already been discovered. I'm kind of sick of her "my dream" thing and old-Hollywood styling. (Edit: And the way she acts when she goes through. More like a kid of 12 than an adult.) Miguel has always been just OK for me. It bugs me more in that singers have a really easy time on this show. They aren't being compared head-to-head with other singers like on the singing reality shows. The judges on this panel are poor judges of singing. And they're the only type of act that isn't expected to do something different every time out.

Plus, you have to admit it, America just seems to go for singers. Let's face it, the people who vote for AGT voted for these singers. We can roll our eyes, but you can't argue with the facts. The AGT voters have boring taste, is all I can say. The one show where you can see variety acts, and this is the result you get. At least it wasn't a singer last year.

The Howie stuff has to stop. He is the very definition of "full of himself." When he said he would spend the whole day thinking of ways to annoy Piers, I totally believed it. That's the kind of person he is.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 3

I wish someone would explain to me why a guy with a good head of hair would wear that stupid hat!!!!!

Personally, I don't like a cloth cap AT ALL unless it is freezing outside.  And why wear the idiotic thing when you are nice and warm inside????   Another dumb trend started by some hipster pop star I suppose.

I don't even know if he sings well enough to advance--when I see "dumb hat guy" on the screen my fingers go quickly to FF until he is finished.

• Love 2

I like Miguel better without the hat too. And I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I cracked up at Dan Naturman flinging himself at Miguel when that result was announced. It's kind of resfreshing to see a contestant basically be like, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going home" for once. Going into the show I thought Dan had a chance, but once he was up there with Miguel and Emily... obviously not.

• Love 3

Once again, Simon Cowell, who owns this show, proves that he knows his market.  Ameriker will take a good story about mediocre singers over anything else - if the singer is a child?  Ka-ching!  

It takes an unreal talent like Kenichi, or Fator to overcome the simple-mindedness of the mass audience.

This is already guaranteed to be the least talented and least interesting Final this series has ever seen.  

• Love 5

The more I think about it they should have an America's Got Talent Kids Edition and the winner gets to perform at Universal City Walk in LA. Mara Justine would be perfect for that venue not Vegas.

• Love 2

The more I think about it they should have an America's Got Talent Kids Edition and the winner gets to perform at Universal City Walk in LA. Mara Justine would be perfect for that venue not Vegas.

Or at any mall with a Gap.

I think it's because there are so many singing competition shows that the singers on AGT have an advantage. People are just used to voting for singers. And they don't see enough of some of the others kinds of acts to have a basis for judging. Especially someone unique like Andrey Moraru. There are also a lot magicians/illusionist on TV, which helps the magic acts on this show.

I'm starting to think that Kenichi winning last year was a fluke. This season he might not have even gotten to the finals. I can only imagine Mara Justine making the finals over him.

To think, we very nearly were rid of Mara Justine a couple of weeks ago. Since that save she has probably been building momentum. No matter what happens now, there are surely scads of stage parents across the country telling their 10 year olds to scream and scream louder. Only they're calling it "singing."

When Howard said the other night about Emily West "here was have a real singer" I heard it as an accidental admission that their hyping MJ and Miguel Dakota for has nothing to do with vocal talent.

Heidi's complete misunderstanding of Dan Naturman's joke about learning German was just more evidence that she should not be on this panel. But its his own fault. He should've learn from Taylor Williamson's experience last year that it's best not to involve Heidi in your act, as she has little comprehension about comedy. (Or much else. for that matter). Had he made the "friend" in his joke any European nationality other than German, than Heidi wouldn't have felt that he'd offended everyone in the audience. (By which she meant herself).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

::sighs:: All my votes for Andrey seem wasted now. America may got talent, but does the rest of America recognize talent? How did he not go through? How do people who majorly screw up get more votes?

Singers should have to sing original songs or sing the same song each week.

A Snapple vote (which is pretty much an East coast vote) and a Judge's choice? That's annoying.

Is food not allowed during the show, or was Howie just being an asshole by making the guy eat the whole sandwich before the show?

Edited by Meushell
  • Love 3

A Snapple vote (which is pretty much an East coast vote) and a Judge's choice? That's annoying.

Is food not allowed during the show, or was Howie just being an asshole by making the guy eat the whole sandwich before the show?

I think it was Howie messing with him. But then again, who brings a bag lunch into Radio City Music Hall for a show being broadcast on live TV?

I don't really pay attention to this show, but this year I have had on a handful of episodes in the background. And the format is driving me nuts.

Auditions - the judges vote collectively yay or nay. Except each judge has a save, with which they can override the other judges.

Oh, and then the producers decide that some of those acts get to skip the second audition (looks like the site calls it "judgment week"), and that some don't get the second audition at all.

Quarterfinals, and finally Amurrica gets a vote. And isn't democracy great? Voters really nailed it.

Winners go through to semifinals. Except the judges each get to save one act from the quarters and bring them back to the semis.

In the semifinals, everyone at home watches the performance and then votes. The top ones go to the finals.

But wait, there's more! The not quite top performances have a second chance, where America (well, the East Coast) votes yet again to save one of the 3 runners up.

And the other 2 go home. Except not. Because the judges yet again put their incredibly talented brains together to save one of the remaining 2 runners up to the runners up.

AGT is that annoying friend from the 90s who got aboard the "psych! fooled you, haha!" train and didn't know when to stop.

• Love 3

Oh, yay.  Another week of Mara Justine howling at me, and then pouting during results time until her name is announced, and she magically breaks down in gratitude.  Maybe I'm an awful person for having such dislike for a 12 year old, but MAN..she's not talented enough for this level and I'm REAL tired of her mom dressing her like a combination of romper room meets Michael's lame-fabric-closeout. 

I remember those days when America's got talent was all about variety talent.  Those were good times.

• Love 4

I totally agree!  Maybe more with they must sing an original song every week. 

If a singer is off or just plain horrible the judges either ignore it or pass it off as "maybe not your best night but you touched my heart and you did so well last week" blah blah tongue bath". But a variety act can have 20 people performing and one stumbles one time and the judges are "at this level your act should be flawless blah blah blah it doesn't look good for you with this level of talent blah blah blah"   They do that and I am screaming at my TV OH SHUT UP!

They need to rename this show America's Got Talent As Long As You Are a SINGER show.

• Love 3

Very pathetic and awful way to save Mara, for crying out loud! so they came up with this Snapple Save that we didn't see the results, it was so close I thought for a second she wouldn't make it, like said here before the Judges would have save her anyway...

They should just give Emily the win and save us some misery..

• Love 2

And I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I cracked up at Dan Naturman flinging himself at Miguel when that result was announced. It's kind of resfreshing to see a contestant basically be like, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going home" for once. 

Oh, I meant to comment on that too! His performance for the results show was at least as good as any performance he gave during the competition. I loved the way he kept pointing at Miguel before striking a pose and then finally launching himself at him. 

And during all his self-deprecating bouncing around... he reached for Paul Ieti twice. Once to drag him into the act attacking Miguel, and once when Paul was about to walk off the stage in the wrong direction. It was a subtle, aware, inclusive, compassionate little gesture. (Pretty much the anti-Mandel.) 

• Love 5

Judge's saves, Snapple votes, wild cards this is getting too confusing for what should be a simple variety competition.  

Sandwich guy- I wonder if the doors open several hours before the show, so the guy brought food.  Whether food is allowed or not, Howie is not funny!

What I'd like to see is a Senior America's Got Talent.  All the contestants would be over 50 or maybe 45. The penis song guy and the 70 year old archer were more interesting than a lot of acts that went through.  I really wanted to see more of the 90 year old strongman who pulled cars with his teeth.  He was a lot more entertaining than the younger strongman who ran around bashing his head into ice blocks.  

• Love 1

Who the heck is Ariana whatever her name was, and why couldn't I understand a single word she was singing?

That's Ariana Grande, and she has a song on pop radio ("Problem", with help from Iggy Azalea), which was used in the Bad Boys of Ballet as background music last week.  She's in a cel-phone app commerical where she was also promoting her new album.  I wanted to see the guy Howie was hassling about the sandwich give her half a sandwich; she looks like she needs to stop skipping dessert.  I had to close-caption to get the lyrics (in the song, she's not in a happy relationship or she's happy it's ending), but I'm not sure if that was the sound engineering or how she sings.  She might go on to the fame this show brought Icona Pop or Owl City. 

Mara Justine looked better in the recaps when she called Howie out for the "a 12-year-old sang better than you" comment.  I don't know if that's what got her votes or not--but it's good she has down pat being nice to people on the way up.  Emily West comforting her after her performance was also classy.

Also, Mike Super saw that not using Desmond got him through without a judge's save, and Dan Naturman was better than he was yesterday.  Good luck to them both.  Overall, I liked the performers better today, and once again wondered why we couldn't have the top vote-getter or two perform again instead of zany! madcap! adventures and filler.

I thought it was funny (funny ha-ha or funny strange, take your pick) that they couldn't edit the recap show into an hour, when anyone with a DVR or VCR was able to get it to about 30 minutes.

• Love 1
"Yes! We wanted more Howie Mandel shenanigans!" said no one ever.

Bwah Ha ha!

Total agreemnent.

Normally, I've hated seasons that devolve down to the singing category. But I've changed my tune after that dumb dog-act won a few seasons ago. (For which I totally blame Sharon Osbourne!)

I'm liking the singers they have on this year, and find many of the other acts quite bland. (SMOOTHINI made it even this far after a terrible non-engaging perfomance last time? Riiight.)

I like Mara Justine, though I felt terrible at all the pressure on her; that's alot for a 12 YO to process, and she just looked like she wanted to cry and/or vomit the entire night. Poor thing.

Though I'm partial to Jaycob Curlee (who will perform next week), I think the 2 front-runners to win are Emily West  and Miguel Dakota (he's the one the Mel B. practically throws her panties at whenever she sees him, right?.)

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1

The thing about Mara Justine is...even if she were really good, and I don't think she is, there's a certain presence and composure required from a performer, child or not. Some people can handle that when they're kids and some people can't. Now yes, people of all ages do get emotional on this show sometimes, but it's usually when they hear they're through or they hear they're cut. Other than when she's actually singing, the kid's an emotional wreck. She doesn't have the wherewithal to deal with what winning entails. There's no point in voting for her. The judges save for her specifically was a terrible idea and now she's continuing to go through on sob votes? That kid needs to go home, be allowed to be a child, maybe take more voice lessons, and maybe when she's a little older she'll have more confidence and be able to not fall apart on stage. When I see her I see the definition of not ready. It's doing her no favors to treat her as if she's some wunderkind when she's not.

Howie must have sciatica or something that he seems to need to stand up so frequently during the show... I certainly don't see a better reason for him to be doing so constantly.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 6

I'm glad SOS (fka: Sons of Serendip, until TBTB decided to rename them on live TV) got through. I was worried the season was going to have a complete breakdown. I wouldn't mind them taking the whole thing, with Emily coming in second.

Just hit me last night how Dan Natterman and Wendy Leibman were carefully kept out of the same semi-final performance.

• Love 1

Mara Justine makes me a nervous effing wreck from appearance when she is being overly praised to being in the bottom with the lip quivering and gushing tears.

I'm not saying any of that is fake; makes me wonder what kind of pressure she is feeling to win this thing. Her whole demeanor is one of desperation, from start to finish.

She's not a great singer; she's 12; she has talent but she definitely needs some nurturing. And if her mother is doing her costuming, it also makes me wonder if she's trying to make her look as young as possible. I mean, if the kid were dressed like most kids her age (minus the tendency of some to be too revealing) she'd actually look older than 12. Mom may be playing up the youth angle for the judges. If the show is dressing her, then shame on them for that and SOOOOO MANY OTHER THINGS (coughMiguelDakotacough).

Oh, and theatremouse: Howie doesn't have sciata. He has look at me, I'm so awesome and funny. There's no cure.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5
She's not a great singer; she's 12; she has talent but she definitely needs some nurturing. And if her mother is doing her costuming, it also makes me wonder if she's trying to make her look as young as possible. I mean, if the kid were dressed like most kids her age (minus the tendency of some to be too revealing) she'd actually look older than 12.

I agree with this, for the most part.

I thnk she is quite good for her age, and absolutely has potential to be a spectacular singer in the future. But no-one knows their true potential at such an early age. 

I also think her outfits make her look exactly her age, which is appropriate, and are not (as mentioned) overly sexualized or revealing as some contestants try for.

All that said, while I do like her quite a bit, they really need to do her a favor and cut her next round for sure. There's no way she can handle much more of this, and it's making me uncomfortable to watch. (The "Snapple Save" was sad, and seemed like a particularly excruciating method of "Saving" someone.)

• Love 1
I don't really pay attention to this show, but this year I have had on a handful of episodes in the background.

See, I think this is the show's problem in a nutshell. People have such short attention spans, they're always doing two things at once, including watching TV. So on AGT, when a singer is doing their thing, that's fine. You can like or not like the act while you check Facebook or do dishes or flip through a magazine. But variety acts - magic, balancing, dance groups, acrobatics, etc - require the audience to watch the whole thing to appreciate it.

It's only 90 seconds, you'd think it would be no big deal, but I bet a lot of people miss a lot of cool visual stuff because they're not actually watching the show (not to mention the sinfully crappy camera work). So you hear the audience go "Wow" or some other exclamation, but by the time you look up, the fantastic move is done. 

I think the show needs to cut singing acts altogether or have AGT - Variety and AGT - Singing and maybe AGT - Kids. They could then have the three winners of each subdivision compete against each other for an additional week of ratings, if they wanted. 

That said, Mara barely squeaked through, so once she is competing against Emily and Miguel and the other nine acts, she won't make it. I think the final two will be Emily West and Scooby the balancing dog. 

• Love 2

Once again, Simon Cowell, who owns this show, proves that he knows his market.  Ameriker will take a good story about mediocre singers over anything else - if the singer is a child?  Ka-ching!

Two word, Simon, two words:  BIANCA RYAN.

The12-year-old girl who won the initial AGT and was never heard from again.

...they really need to do her a favor and cut her next round for sure.

The next round is the finals, and regardless of how she got there, she'll have that forever.  Or until everyone forgets, but still, that might carry her through to a good college scholarship, and that's not nothing.

See, I think this is the show's problem in a nutshell. People have such short attention spans, they're always doing two things at once, including watching TV. 

I don't disagree with you here, but the real problem is they're dragging out a half dozen 90 second performances over a two hour show. There's so much garbage and filler in between the commercials, the shameless promos for Snapple and Google, oh, and the actual performances, that it's hard to actually watch.

But when I care enough I usually manage to watch the more visual performances. I was glad to see the jump rope group back. I would have put them through, but they weren't too exciting this week. Aerial Animation was another of my favorites, and another letdown, albeit as much the camera's fault as theirs.

The magician duo have a great presence and their banter was fun. I can't get over their massive failure in the last round, and I have no idea why the judges didn't rail them for it or why they were back. Their tricks though, are so rudimentary and pedestrian. When you only get 1 trick you have to go big and showy, like the other magician did. Or, in the case of this show, be young, good looking, and marketable?

I don't have much problem with singers being on the show, but I can see why many think it is unfair to other performers. Making them sing original material is a fun idea that would never happen. Especially so long as Howie is there. 

I'm all for getting rid of the kids on the show. If a 30 year old was singing like Mara they would have been buzzed off in 10 seconds flat. 

• Love 1

Well, break out the crying towel, although I don't think it's had enough time to dry out since the last go-round.

My fellow couch potato masochists, we are getting more than our fair share of pain this season.  But buck up, all is not gloom.  We have been given another priceless opportunity to enjoy another performance of the vocal stylings of our icon, Mara.  Let the judges and TPTB have one more chance to offer us the purple Kool-Aid.  They cannot break us, but they can and will surely, surely, surely try.

• Love 5
Oh, and theatremouse: Howie doesn't have sciata. He has look at me, I'm so awesome and funny. There's no cure.

I was being sarcastic because I am annoyed by his constant ovations for mediocre performances.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm almost to the point of quitting this show because of Howie Mandel. I've never thought he was funny. Ever. When he used to put a blown up rubber glove on his head back in the 80's when he was doing standup, I never got why people would laugh hysterically at that or anything else. And I haven't changed my opinon of him, in fact it's only gotten worse. He is out of control, and if they have so much "filler" time that they have to use him to do his unfunny pretending to be an AGT or Radio City employee pranks on people every freakin week, then cut the damn results show to half an hour. I didn't care for Paul's singing, but I thought what Howie said to him on Tuesday night's show was rude and he should have apologized. But he apparently has naked pictures of someone at NBC because he gets away with whatever he wants.

Mara Justine - I don't know where to begin. Again with the ridiculous outfit. And the quivering lip, sobbing sad face until she knew her fate. She's not that great of a singer and she's definitely not emotionally ready to handle this. I'm pretty confident she's not going to be in the final two and I can't imagine how she's going to react when she's eliminated. I think it will make Rachel Crowe's meltdown on X Factor look mild in comparison.

Next week or whenever I really hope the salsa dancers get eliminated. Along with Mike Super. And pretty much everyone but Scooby the Dog.

And I know this is a minor thing but has anyone else ever noticed how Nick Cannon says the word "singer"? It drives me up the wall. He prounouces it with a hard "g". It sounds dumb everytime he says it. But I know in the vast scheme of things to complain about with this show, that's nothing.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 1

Somehow Google didn't sense my desperation. When, after voting for aerial animation, I saw that Mara was running away with the votes I continuously kept trying to vote poking my phone harder and harder.

She just isn't ready for this type of competition. I just cringe listening to the screaming/singing.

Add me to the Howie backlash. It was bad enough he made that kid eat the whole sandwich, but when he made those girls lay on the floor I thought what an ass. There is no way an usher would make me do that.

• Love 2

I like the suggestion to have a singer-finalist, a dance-finalist and a variety-finalist. Make the singers go against other singers, and I think we have a better chance that the best ones will go through. Trying to compare a singer to a hand balancer or comedian is a toss-up.

I missed Mara Justine this week, so I can't comment on her performance. What I will say is that she is in this because she has a big voice FOR HER AGE. Not because it's a great voice in itself. It's the contrast between how she looks, and the sound that comes out of her. That's true for 90% of child acts on this show. It is why the show would be so much better with an age cutoff about 18. It isn't fair to the rest of the acts for some of them to get the automatic kid bonus. If an adult came on playing piano like that one kid this year, they'd never have made it past the tryout, let alone an audition. And, JMO, but I don't think it's so great for the kids, either. I certainly don't enjoy seeing children upset, which, in the nature of things, is almost bound to happen to all of them. It's too much to expect of them.

Again, I have nothing against Mara; I think she could be really good when she's older, especially if she doesn't wear out her vocal chords at age 12. But acts like her skew the show in a direction I don't like.

Maybe this belongs in a separate thread, but I think the show should tighten up in a number of ways. Stricter judging at the audition stage; they put too many mediocre acts through, and then can't even allow all of them a televised second slot anyway. Faster pacing after they get to the quarter finals at least. If they eliminate the recaps from previous episodes and the sob-story video packages, it wouldn't need 2 hours. Try to even it up between the singers and the other acts. Their own group would be my choice, or make them all audition with the same song. Something. No more saves or judges' choice at the 11th hour.

Last but not least, tighten up with the lame judge shenanigans. And either control Howie,, or replace him.

Edited by peggy06

Though I'm partial to Jaycob Curlee (who will perform next week), I think the 2 front-runners to win are Emily West  and Miguel Dakota (he's the one the Mel B. practically throws her panties at whenever she sees him, right?.)

Yes, I've noticed that about Mel B too! There was this shot of her during his performance, right after he took his hat off, biting her nails and looking like she was about to get on stage and jump him. It was...uncomfortable. It's disappointing how much easier it is for Miguel to go through than other, more talented contestants just because of the crazy fan girls.

I find the behind the scenes parts with the judges really interesting and it seems like we're getting less of that this year than in other years. Did anyone else notice the clip of Heidi and Howard after he criticized the Bad Boys of Ballet performance? She said "you're just jealous because they're hot guys with their shirts off!". Ouch. There might be some truth to that, but I still thought he was correct in his assessment of them. I wonder if she'll say that to him if he gives Miguel negative feedback again.

ITA with everyone hating Howie's usher stunt! Did they not learn never to let Howie do stuff like this after his last segment like this? Or do enough people on twitter actually tell them they like these "jokes" and they think it's a popular part of the show? It is awful. Just rude and uncomfortable.

I get concerned that some of these people act like they're being executed when things don't go well on this. I know it's a big opportunity for them and a lot of pressure, but it's not life and death! Kelli Glover was like that a few weeks ago and I was so glad when Howard told her to relax. Paul Ieti was like this too and it was hard to watch.

Nick seems totally over this season. He's still a good host, but doesn't seem engaged and his smiles after he reads from the teleprompter/before and after the comemrcial breaks are so awkward. I don't remember them being so forced. Given his marriages troubles with Mariah I'm not surprised that he would be distracted. 

Dan Nauterman seemed a bit bitter backstage when Mel B passed by him and said "you were funny tonight" and he said "well, your friend didn't think so". I thought Heidi was being ridiculous too, but still. Just thank Mel B and move on.

Edited by wudpixie
  • Love 3
(edited)

ITA with everyone hating Howie's usher stunt! Did they not learn never to let Howie do stuff like this after his last segment like this?

You mean you're not still cracking up over him pretending to sell AGT tickets? Maybe next week we'll get another tour of Howie's star.

And speaking of the behind the scenes footage we see, one part of it kind of cracked me up... At one point they showed the contestants in that backroom all watching Mike Super's act and going crazy over it... except for Andrey, who was, of all things, reading a book instead. You could see him doing the same thing when the contestants were all watching Paul Ieti. Like LOL. I'm probably the only person on the planet who payed close enough attention to notice that, but I just had to laugh because it was so random.

Edited by UsernameGoesHere
  • Love 3

Re: Howie's usher stunt, which was preceded by that horrible,offensive ticket agent stunt. And by the by, was I the only one who could totally tell it was him even with his awesome half-price Hween disguise? I guess the lighting was too bad for anyone else to figure it out. Unless they were all in on it, in which case, OMG that makes the whole thing even worse.

I fear we'll be subjected to this crap from Howie as filler from now to infinity and beyond.

I went to his twitter out of curiousity and yes, there are enough ass kissers over there egging him on, feeding his ego, probably just so he'll retweet them, but since he'll do anything to get attention, he retweets!

Just in case there's any doubt:

Howie is not funny.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

Once again, Simon Cowell, who owns this show, proves that he knows his market.  Ameriker will take a good story about mediocre singers over anything else - if the singer is a child?  Ka-ching!  

The thing is, though, Mara doesn't even have a "good story." Her mother alluded once to having trouble making ends meet with five children, but we haven't been pounded over the head with it like we were with Anna the Patron Saint of Anxiety Disorders. But, because it bears repeating, just because money's tight does not make it okay to pimp out your twelve-year-old for extra cash.

Also, relating to Mara's story...a lot of the other acts talk about how they got into their act during their package, but Mara really doesn't. She just kind of talks about how her family's so awesome for supporting her but she's still the "annoying little sister LOLZ." Just more proof that before this show her singing experience didn't expand beyond her bedroom.

Heidi's complete misunderstanding of Dan Naturman's joke about learning German was just more evidence that she should not be on this panel. But its his own fault. He should've learn from Taylor Williamson's experience last year that it's best not to involve Heidi in your act, as she has little comprehension about comedy. (Or much else. for that matter). Had he made the "friend" in his joke any European nationality other than German, than Heidi wouldn't have felt that he'd offended everyone in the audience. (By which she meant herself).

But, imo, Taylor Williamson showed some serious smarts by including Heidi's dislike of his jokes into his act, and I think that's part of what took him so far. Dan Naturman didn't get a chance to do that, and idk if he would have anyway, but Taylor is/was a good example of how to turn a judge's criticism to your advantage. But I'm still confused by her "you offended the entire audience" comment. Did she know for a fact that the entire audience was either German and/or blind? And even if that was the case, I still don't think he said anything offensive.

I'm surprised that guy made it through security with that sandwich, to be honest. I've never been to RCMH, but I think most theaters in NYC have a strict "no food or drink" policy for the actual room where the performance will be taking place (especially food or drink that wasn't bought at the venue's concession stand). It's one thing to have food at MSG or the Barclay's Center or somewhere with plastic seats and concrete floors that are easy to clean (pretty much anywhere that has sports as well as arts performances) but RCMH has carpeting and velvet seats that some stains might not come out of.

That's Ariana Grande, and she has a song on pop radio ("Problem", with help from Iggy Azalea), which was used in the Bad Boys of Ballet as background music last week.  She's in a cel-phone app commerical where she was also promoting her new album.  I wanted to see the guy Howie was hassling about the sandwich give her half a sandwich; she looks like she needs to stop skipping dessert.  I had to close-caption to get the lyrics (in the song, she's not in a happy relationship or she's happy it's ending), but I'm not sure if that was the sound engineering or how she sings.  She might go on to the fame this show brought Icona Pop or Owl City. 

Eh, Ariana Grande has the advantage of being on Nickelodeon. She's had a few years to build a young, impressionable fanbase. Her star will fade more quickly than others, but she's got a good run ahead of her, imo.

I also think her outfits make her look exactly her age, which is appropriate, and are not (as mentioned) overly sexualized or revealing as some contestants try for.

Really? I wouldn't be caught dead in either of the outfits she's worn during the live rounds when I was 12, and 12 was my worst year. I thought she dressed very nicely and age-appropriate in her audition and during Judgement Week, when she (possibly with the help of her mother and/or sisters) was still dressing herself. Now they're dressing her to look about four years younger than she is, and that combined with her penchant for adult songs/vocal stylings is one of the reasons I find her so off-putting.

And speaking of the behind the scenes footage we see, one part of it kind of cracked me up... At one point they showed the contestants in that backroom all watching Mike Super's act and going crazy over it... except for Andrey, who was, of all things, reading a book instead. You could see him doing the same thing when the contestants were all watching Paul Ieti. Like LOL. I'm probably the only person on the planet who payed close enough attention to notice that, but I just had to laugh because it was so random.

Omg, I didn't notice that but that's hilarious! The behind-the-scenes reactions are so fake and staged, I kind of respect Andrey more for just being like "don't include me in your bullshit."

One of the reasons I find those reactions so staged is because any act that hasn't already performed should, if they were a professional, be more focused on preparing than on what the other acts are doing. Singers should be doing vocal warm-ups, dancers/contortionists/etc. should be stretching, comedians should be going over their routine...

• Love 2
It's disappointing how much easier it is for Miguel to go through than other, more talented contestants just because of the crazy fan girls.

As with any show like this where America gets to vote, it's generally a popularity contest more than anything else.

The "Look" and the "Hook" will get you abut as far as (if not more so!) than the actual talent.

Yes, I've noticed that about Mel B too! There was this shot of her during his performance, right after he took his hat off, biting her nails and looking like she was about to get on stage and jump him. It was...uncomfortable. It's disappointing how much easier it is for Miguel to go through than other, more talented contestants just because of the crazy fan girls.

I hope Mel B got a chance to review the footage of herself looking like a fool drooling over this kid.  I hope she had sense enough to be ashamed of herself. 

ITA with everyone hating Howie's usher stunt

While it went on too long, I will confess that I was amused how easily people went along with what some random stranger in charge told them to do, even though it made no sense. A good study in human behaviour.  Because these were all the super-early arrivals, they must be uber fans or something and would do anything to be allowed to stay? 

But I'm still confused by her "you offended the entire audience" comment. Did she know for a fact that the entire audience was either German and/or blind? And even if that was the case, I still don't think he said anything offensive.

He didn't, but I think Heidi was referring to his insult that Americans won't learn foreign languages. I forget his exact bit, but I thought that was the main gist of the joke. I thought he seemed more like funny guy at a party doing a riff than a professional comedian. 

One of the reasons I find those reactions so staged is because any act that hasn't already performed should, if they were a professional, be more focused on preparing than on what the other acts are doing

I don't know about that. It's not a performance, it's a competition. You would want to scope out your competitors, see how well they did. 

Yeah the audience that got "fooled" by Howie were into it, no way they would do that in their right mind from a regular usher.. 

For starters I don't think they allow you to bring food to RCMH... like you'll be flashing the usher the food you brought from home, if they sell food inside they won't let you.