Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E19: Semifinals: Week 1 Results

• Start Topic

While it went on too long, I will confess that I was amused how easily people went along with what some random stranger in charge told them to do, even though it made no sense. A good study in human behaviour.  Because these were all the super-early arrivals, they must be uber fans or something and would do anything to be allowed to stay? 

I don't know about that. It's not a performance, it's a competition. You would want to scope out your competitors, see how well they did. 

Omg, it's like the Milgram experiment but so much worse, because we the viewers were actually in pain.

I know it's a competition, but I still feel like people would be more focused on themselves and what they need to do than on what everyone else is doing. Because no matter how good someone's act is, it's too late to change anything for yours, especially if it's an act that requires a lot of complicated staging. And because the acts are all different it's not like you can get ideas from them. Except for the singers, maybe, but even then it wouldn't necessarily fly.

• Love 2
One of the reasons I find those reactions so staged is because any act that hasn't already performed should, if they were a professional, be more focused on preparing than on what the other acts are doing

That is not my experience. Generally, when I do variety shows, we all do try to watch the other acts. It's fun and supportive. We do our personal prep before the show starts or at Intermission (depending on where in the show we are) or maybe an act or two before our own number. There's only so long you can spend preparing before it becomes counterproductive. I usually miss the act before and after mine but catch the rest of the show.

I'm disappointed Mike Super got to the finals. His trick wasn't all that impressive and he's just not that likable to me. He's got this self important smirk thing going on.

Also, was disappointed Miguel Dakota made it. He's a mediocre singer and he's a 7 in the looks department. The tweens love him and his 2009 hipster cap. Howard is right. There's something missing in his act. Is it passion? There's been other male singers who've been let go who were were far better singers than he, but didn't have the "look". Such a shame. 

I was sad Arial Animation were cut. She had an off night. She has such a great act compared to yet, another singer, but alas she's gone. What is the other act sorta similar to hers? Blue Journey? Hopefully they will be great and knock out a singer or two. 

I also was a bit turned off by Emily West in her pre-performance package. Her credit card was declined so a stranger gave her $20. Jeez! What a loser. She's way too old to be mooching off the parents. I'm sure you can work some sort of job and follow your dream too. Other people do it. 

So next week I'm sure the kid singer who looks like Urkel (I'm sorry, his name escapes me) will get through to the finals. He's really very good, but ha;lf the finalists will be singers. 

I would love the 2 contortionists Nina and Andrew(?) to do an act together. They are both very attractive and I can only imagine what they could do with each other sexually if they were a real life couple rawr!! Actually they could do a foursome act with Scooby and his pal. Not sexually....ahem, I meant an act....on the stage. Anyway. 

Like everyone else, I'm over Howie too. I'm over Heidi as well. Howard is the only judge that gives them constructive criticism and looks at the big picture, whether an act could be lucrative or not.

Thanks to Howard, Mike Super got through because he got rid of dead Desmond. Didn't he says he's been communicating with Desmond since he was six years old? He better sleep in that see through box with the Latin writing, because I can hear ol' Desmond saying like Glenn Close, "I don't like to be IGNORED Mike."

• Love 2

I'm so here for a Nina/Andrey act that it's not even funny. Can we get rid of Mara Justine or someone and give Nina/Andrey that spot in the top 12 instead?

Scooby and his pal.

LMAO. Poor Christian has been reduced to being a dog's unnamed sidekick. I still love you Christian. Especially when you're half naked and wearing tight pants. /thirsty post ends here.

Looking at next week's lineup, assuming no disasters happen in their acts, I think Quintavious/Urkel, Scooby and his owner, Blue Journey and Mat Franco should easily sail through to the top 12.

• Love 3

I must have ADD.  I watch this show and couldn't tell you what I've seen.  I don't like the looks of the kid, and seem to block out her yelling.  From the comments here, this is to my great advantage.  I've only seen the guy with the dog once; it was as good as it gets for this show.  I really hate all the up close and personal stuff.  Just show me what you got and shut up.

• Love 1

In a repeat, it seemed like it was harder to see in Mike Super's asssitant's bag.  I'm not sure if that was me or an edit--though I was watching for it.  Likewise, on a radio show, Ariana Grande sounded like she could enunciate perfectly well. 

Moral: be nice to the editors and sound engineers, because they aren't throwing you under the bus on purpose yet, but they *could*.

Just show me what you got and shut up.

I don't know if we can cure them of sob stories.  Maybe they could take the Wipeout approach:  show one random fact and use it as their nickname for the rest of that show.  It'd be progress, and Wipeout has good ratings with a thinner premise and a smaller grand prize--take the hint, AGT!

Omg, it's like the Milgram experiment but so much worse, because we the viewers were actually in pain.

And fewer ethics controls (Milgram actually asked other people...they gave him the wrong answer, but he asked.  I think Howie just asked Executive Producer Howie Mandel before going forward.)  But what could be funnier than seeing a man eat a sandwich?  (A.  Almost anything.)

Edited by marketdoctor

When it came down to Aerial Animation and David and Leeman, I agreed with the judge's choice. David and Leeman had a rough quarter final, but they outshone Aerial Animation last night. What a shame, too, because we've seen that AA can do better.

I can't agree. On the basis of how bad their Quarter Final was, they deserved to go out, but it was such an Emperor Has No Clothes situation, where nobody would even ADMIT how badly they messed up.

Mara Justine made it through. Andrey Moraru did not. I think I'm going to be sick.

4/6 acts that made it through tonight were singers. So much for this being a variety show. Just ugh.

Absolutely painful filler nonsense with Howie pretending to be an usher.

Not at all happy with tonight's results.

I think the show prayed that by putting all the singers on the same semi-final, that they'd cancel each other out, vote-wise.

Whoops. Didn't work.

It's also ludicrous that someone like Emily West is even on the same show as any of these other singers. They all look like rank amateurs in comparison (and the little girl outright sucks---sorry kid...)

Edited by Kromm

I also was a bit turned off by Emily West in her pre-performance package. Her credit card was declined so a stranger gave her $20. Jeez! What a loser. She's way too old to be mooching off the parents. I'm sure you can work some sort of job and follow your dream too. Other people do it.

Yeah, I was thinking um....maybe it's time for a back-up plan? I get it when people say the most likely way to achieve your goals is to put all your time and energy into them and not have a back-up plan, but there's something called life that gets in the way and I feel like you need to be realistic too.

The show thinks she is a huge star already. They filmed her walking around in a cemetery dressed up in that old Hollywood glamour style and used it as a backdrop as she sang. I don't remember them going to that much trouble for any other singer's background during their performance.