Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: In Another Life

jewel21
  • Start Topic

There are a lot of ugly sweaters in this episode. Buck's green sweater reminds me of ones I bought from the JC Penney's catalog back in the 80s and I don't even want to talk about Hen's.

I'm guessing Buck will recover in record time just like Chim did from rebar through the brain and Paul did on on Lone Star. 

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

What a cheat! Buck announces that he knows how the 'Chimney" nickname came to be and then the scene jumps to the end of the conversation. Not fair, we've been waiting 6 years for that answer!

I know!  I was like 'yay, we're finally going to know' and then...cut, skip.

Hen: 'Why am I even having this conversation with that person?'  Chim: 'See? The crazy just sucks you in.' 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
52 minutes ago, marceline said:

There are a lot of ugly sweaters in this episode. Buck's green sweater reminds me of ones I bought from the JC Penney's catalog back in the 80s and I don't even want to talk about Hen's.

I told my boyfriend that Buck's sweater looked itchy and hot. May had on a short sweater vest over an oversized button-down. Lotta weird choices in this episode.

I can't figure out JLH's deal. Her third/last child was born in August 2021. How was she still pregnant when they were filming this?

• Like 1

“Fix You” may be the perfect Buck song.

I like the idea that Buck changed the lives of so many people by just the act of joining the 118 & by just being Buck.  He gave Maddie a place to run to and because of that Chimney someone to love.   He gave Bobby a reason to live and helped Eddie keep custody of Christopher by introducing him to Carla.  

• Like 19

I can't figure out JLH's deal. Her third/last child was born in August 2021. How was she still pregnant when they were filming this?

She's not. She simply hasn't lost the weight.

This wasn't a bad episode, but it wasn't great either. The fever dream/alternate universe is an overused gimmick. I suppose every show has to use it at some point, but it wasn't particularly well done here. Some of the characters seemed perplexed by Buck's confusion and other characters knew he was just dreaming. The brother and parents actively trying to prevent him from waking up and leaving the dream world felt more like something you'd see in a supernatural themed show than this one.

This Buck story was boring as hell.  I much preferred Chim's story with his father at the end.  

Except the father went from being a stern, judgey scold last week to a fun, happy grandpa this one. WTF, I got whiplash.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

What a cheat! Buck announces that he knows how the 'Chimney" nickname came to be and then the scene jumps to the end of the conversation. Not fair, we've been waiting 6 years for that answer!

I was so mad! I guess they’re not going to tell us, or if they do it’ll be in the series finale.

12 hours ago, marceline said:

There are a lot of ugly sweaters in this episode. Buck's green sweater reminds me of ones I bought from the JC Penney's catalog back in the 80s

And it was pilling! And I kept thinking, this is LA, isn’t he warm?

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She's not. She simply hasn't lost the weight.

Yep. She was wearing “hide the pregnancy” clothes - loose blouses, jackets - but it’s just baby weight, I think. I actually find it refreshing. She’s in her 40s, things don’t happen as quickly, and she may not even be prioritizing weight loss.

I think it’s very hot when Bobby is in take-charge captain mode like when he was telling the hospital staff the situation. They gave Peter Krause a bit more to do here, which I appreciated, but overall the dream world thing was “meh” for me. Bobby’s relationship with May is very sweet.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

It seems like the writers have gone extra miles to sideline Eddie in this episode. Are they done with queerbaiting Buddie??!

Buck and Eddie's friendship is one of the great things about 9-1-1. Don't ruin it.

Eddie doesn't even exist in Buck's comaverse. Other than screaming "done more" to the ER doctor & nurses, this is the closest he gets with Buck.

8b3164ef38e9b388323d233c495e2b4ab0f6159b

1cf102a0986e4bb9add262033e75c2e0485cdd91

Disclaimer:

I am not a Buddie shipper. 😆

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 3

I thought this episode had potential and there WERE parts of it that were great. But I think there were parts that really were boring or just plain bad.

I did love Buck/Bobby focus. Bobby was Buck's first real role model and mentor, and I love the focus on their relationship. I also liked the What If that started to play out (seeing Dream Daniel was actually pretty cool!) and I especially liked how Buck figured out that he couldn't just solve everyone's problems in his dream in order to wake up. And I also like that he was fully aware he was in a dream the entire time.

That being said, some of Buck's coma dream didn't QUITE work. As much as I enjoyed Buck figuring out that the lesson he needed to learn was pretty much self love and not needing to save everyone, I don't think it was done AS well as it could have been. It kind of led to Buck thinking a bit too highly of himself that he saved everyone in some capacity (except for Hen, I guess). And I thought he already learned to accept himself earlier, back in season 4. 

There was no Eddie in the coma dream, which was bizarre and VERY noticeable. Did they cut his scenes or choose not to have Eddie around Buck much at all? Because Eddie is Buck's best friend; he should have been way more involved.

I REALLY hate the focus on the biological parents this episode. They were going in the right direction with the found family stuff but it felt like: a) Buck's story should have led to the 118 but went straight for his parents; and b) Chimney shouldn't have reconciled that quickly with his father. His father was a shitty father. Who cares about pride when he gave up on his son and stopped trying and found another family to raise? His excuses won't fix what happened, and his father didn't even apologize! His wife had to apologize FOR him. 

Gah.

Overall, the episode had such a great idea and it had some really excellent moments (Christopher talking to Buck was wonderful) but they really let the potential fall through the cracks.

Though, one last thing, Coma Dream Bobby was hilariously great.

• Like 14

Bobby’s relationship with May is very sweet.

Agreed. That was the best scene. Interesting that the show seems to have dropped May's little brother. They apparently have no use for the character.

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I REALLY hate the focus on the biological parents this episode. They were going in the right direction with the found family stuff but it felt like: a) Buck's story should have led to the 118 but went straight for his parents; and b) Chimney shouldn't have reconciled that quickly with his father. His father was a shitty father. Who cares about pride when he gave up on his son and stopped trying and found another family to raise? His excuses won't fix what happened, and his father didn't even apologize! His wife had to apologize FOR him. 

Agreed. The show really leaned hard into the idea that Jee "needs" her grandfather in her life. Uh, not if he's an asshole, she doesn't. This "family is everything" mantra is bullshit. If someone is an abusive or otherwise negative force in your life you don't have to put up with them simply because you are biologically related. That's just someone else's bullshit being projected on you.

• Like 9
  • Applause 6
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

It seems like the writers have gone extra miles to sideline Eddie in this episode. Are they done with queerbaiting Buddie??!

Buck and Eddie's friendship is one of the great things about 9-1-1. Don't ruin it.

Eddie doesn't even exist in Buck's comaverse. Other than screaming "done more" to the ER doctor & nurses, this is the closest he gets with Buck.

8b3164ef38e9b388323d233c495e2b4ab0f6159b

1cf102a0986e4bb9add262033e75c2e0485cdd91

Disclaimer:

I am not a Buddie shipper. 😆

Exactly! I came here to see if anybody else's noticed. It's like they're keeping the actors separetaly at all costs.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

There was no Eddie in the coma dream, which was bizarre and VERY noticeable. Did they cut his scenes or choose not to have Eddie around Buck much at all? Because Eddie is Buck's best friend; he should have been way more involved.

I would be okay with that if there would be at least a lot more Eddie in the 'real' world. Having e.g. some heart to heart talk with Buck, maybe instead of Eddie's kid.

There was a lot to like in this weird coma episode, but I felt like it could have been better. I like exploring how much Buck has had a positive impact on the people around him just by being himself and the sort of AU was decently interesting, but it wasn't quite as good as I wanted it to be. it certainly wasn't bad by any stretch, but I really wanted this to be better. It felt like as a character study it was shallow, we didn't really learn anything about Buck that we don't already know and his issues with unknowingly forever being in the shadow of his dead brother was hardly touched on like I wanted it to be. 

I guess Chim's dad went to the same weed guy as the Buckley parents because he's also gone from disapproving and distant to being all chill and supportive in about one episode. Like with the Buckley, I can buy that they had something of a breakthrough and that softened him a bit, but now its like the show wants all to be forgiven even though in literally every other scene with Chim's he's been a total asshole. Like how the Buckleys went from being so emotionally distant from their kids that it clearly left both of them desperate for affection to the point of self destruction to being these loving parents doing and saying all the right things that Buck fights through a coma to find. Until about a month ago they hardly even thought to call them when Maddie was almost murdered! I don't love this narrative that gets pushed way too much in media (and in real life) that you always have to accept your biological relatives, no matter how shitty they are and how much they've hurt you, everything has to be forgiven and you always have to keep them in your life, no matter how toxic they are, because you share DNA. Its like every parent had to randomly become a new person just to have this series of reconciliations and get yet another "family is family" message. Chim's dad didn't even apologize, Chim's step-mom had to do it for him!

I really enjoyed the focus on Bobby and Bucks relationship, now that is a familial dynamic that I can get behind. They really have been through a lot together, Bobby has been the role model and parental substitute that Buck never had that helped him to mature and Buck was the person who could get through to Bobby when he was struggling when no one else could. I also thought the bit with Bobby and May was really sweet, another very lovely surrogate parents/kid relationship that's a million times more worthy of celebration than these dysfunctional biological relationships that I am now supposed to care about.

The lack of Eddie in this episode was really weird, especially in coma world. Eddie is Buck's best friend and should be a big part of this, but it feels like they were deliberately trying to keep them apart. 

"Fix You" is a really appropriate song for Buck, for better or worse he really does always try to make things better.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

From what Coma!Chm said, Coma!Eddie flamed out after his parents took Christopher away. So he was no longer there or pat of the group at least.  It sounded like he was not even at the 118 anymore.

Anyone else get a Nate Fisher from Six Feet Under vibe from Coma!Bobby? 

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

From what Coma!Chm said, Coma!Eddie flamed out after his parents took Christopher away. So he was no longer there or pat of the group at least.  It sounded like he was not even at the 118 anymore.

I can see both Coma Eddie and Coma Athena flaming out in the same way Bobby did.    When Athena’s husband left her for a man Bobby stepped in pretty early which stopped her from following through with all her worst instincts.  If he dies before that Athena likely turned angry and without Bobby and the 118 to back her up died in one of her many close calls.    Eddie losing custody of Christopher probably didn’t complete his probationary period and just disappeared.  

Well mine is more an actual alternate reality and less a coma dream

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Although I actually got up and walked close to the TV when I thought for a few seconds we were going to get the Chimney nickname origin, I was then oddly relieved that it wasn’t just something I’d just missed.🙃

Having myself survived when the medical odds were against it, I do think Buck’s revelation was realistic in terms of his seeing his potential value to those whose paths his life crosses. 
But, wow, did this episode manage to suck all the possible joy, meaning, or significance out of that experience.

True, the reality is that the return to life from a near-death experience is mostly just a return to the mundane. So, if that was what this episode was supposed to depict, then, mission accomplished. 
But I think it was supposed to be more inspiring than it was.

Maybe there have been one too many main character near-death experiences on TV in general, and on this show in particular.

A little medical nitpick: Isn’t the reason children aren’t permitted in the ICU is mostly because they are walking petrie dishes of germs picked up at school?

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

He really was!

28 minutes ago, LtKelley said:

He's not a bad guy, don't get me wrong but he's a dumb douchebag and he's boring.

I do like the actor, but Buck is a HUGE idiot, and needs to be followed around like a toddler. But since that drives most of the plots, that's the way he will likely continue to be.

The things I liked about the dream world were that Hen was exactly the same, Chim met Maddie and loved her, that we got to see the older brother, and (yes) Coma Bobby.

And the scene with Bobby and May was very well done and touching. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ajsnaves said:

Yep! Reminded me of when Nate would talk to ghosts - Peter Krause would use that same kind of taunting voice he did with Buck. It was a nice departure from buttoned-up Bobby.

It was heartbreaking when Maddie said “which one?” with tears in her eyes when the men were at the door.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 9

This was too much of a clips of past episodes episode (reminding me too much of Star Trek’s notoriously bad Shades of Grey clips episode that was necessary because of a writers’ strike) and essentially a bottle episode without any rescues that made me wonder if they were trying to save money

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LtKelley said:

I feel like I am a bad person but... am I the only one who could shit care less if Buck lived or died? He's not a bad guy, don't get me wrong but he's a dumb douchebag and he's boring. I feel like the Buck that started the show hasn't learned or changed or grown and we keep getting these episodes where Buck supposedly learns something deep and.... it just never seems to stick. 

YES. I can barely stand him. I also can't stand Eddie. I've said on these forums before that he looks like a graduate of Joey Tribbiani's "Smell-a-Fart" Acting Class. (Yes, I just said that about a guy on "Truth Be Told".) I also don't have the affection for Christopher that everyone else has, but I'm a child-hating shrew.

See y'all in hell, I guess.

bye-slide.gif

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I feel like I am a bad person but... am I the only one who could shit care less if Buck lived or died? He's not a bad guy, don't get me wrong but he's a dumb douchebag and he's boring. I feel like the Buck that started the show hasn't learned or changed or grown and we keep getting these episodes where Buck supposedly learns something deep and.... it just never seems to stick. 

You are absolutely not. I like Buck enough but he also works my nerves. If it's time to kill off a main character I'm fine with it being him. Then Eddie and Christopher can move away to be with Eddie's family.

• Love 2

This thread is hilarious! Too many gems to quote. And I, too, was hoping the Chimney mystery would be revealed. 

My favorite scene was May and Bobby.  Bobby was barely holding it together with May, and it was so sweet the way she was looking out for him. The little brother moved to Miami with the dad, right? I can't say I miss him. 

Eddie and Buck have shared very few scenes since end of season 4...maybe?  I'll always believe the social media controversy with Ryan Guzman impacted his scenes with Oliver Stark.  Stark is clearly a favorite of the show, and I am convinced he doesn't want to shoot with Guzman.  Could also be the other way around, I guess. In any case, I don't miss the friendship. 

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, right there with you.  At least have the man apologize.  Maybe we'll get a scene in a future episode? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LtKelley said:

Christopher is still treated like an eight year old

That bothers me a lot, also. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a disabled character, played by a disabled actor, if they're just going to write the whole thing as a ridiculous and utterly untrue stereotype, and promote the message that people with CP are young children forever.

In the coma dream, Buck helped Eddie by introducing him to Carla. That was how they showed him "saving" Eddie (and Christopher).

I'm fine with marginalizing Eddie, and am glad they've found a way to continue to feature Christopher. I just wish they'd write him age-appropriately.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

It was heartbreaking when Maddie said “which one?” with tears in her eyes when the men were at the door.

That was a good sad moment. I had been thinking Chimney would have to be the one to break the news to her, and that might have made me cry.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was super bored by this episode and also didn't really care if Buck lived or not. Maybe I have just seen this TV trope one time too many. A character in a coma has a realistic dream that they don't realize is a dream at first. Then they have to do something in the dream world to wake up (live) in the real world.  

• Like 7

My theory is they're not having Ryan Guzman do anything that requires emotionalism or nuance because the guy can't act to save his life. Man but he was bad in even those "do more" and "trying very hard to look like he's tearing up" scenes.

They're probably trying to minimise the Buck/Eddie interactions in hopes it'll deter the shippers.

The coma dream was such a letdown. There's a bazillion interesting things you could do with a scenario like that and they did it in the blandest, least inspired way possible. Feel bad for Oliver Stark cause he tried and I saw some online interview where he seemed excited about getting a storyline that wasn't just being the butt of a joke again but alas, this was not a great showcase for him.

• Like 1

I hated this entire episode.

I have recent experience with a loved one suffering cardiac arrest and being in a medically induced coma (they're fine now!) so that hit way too close to home. And Buck's miraculous recovery the second he was taken off the ventilator was laughable. 

Personal feelings aside, I just thought the whole thing was silly and I felt zero emotional resonance other than when JLH asked "Which one?" Overall I think it's just becoming a bit too soap opera-y for me. 

I did enjoy the Bobby/May discussion. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I think for me it was partly that I simply never once thought there was any danger of Buck not waking up from the coma

I felt the same and also missed that there were no 911 calls/crazy unrealistic rescues this week. Like someone else said, it felt a little soap opera-y. 

• Like 5
19 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Well, Bobby was dead in the AU, but still played a major part in the dream. So that can't be why Eddie wasn't there.

15 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Eddie and Buck have shared very few scenes since end of season 4...maybe?  I'll always believe the social media controversy with Ryan Guzman impacted his scenes with Oliver Stark.  Stark is clearly a favorite of the show, and I am convinced he doesn't want to shoot with Guzman.  Could also be the other way around, I guess. In any case, I don't miss the friendship. 

I always suspected it was Aisha Hinds who didn't want to work with Guzman, for obvious reasons. If they are deliberately keeping Eddie and Buck apart I think it's more likely because of all the slash fic and shippers. Maybe the show doesn't like it (despite it seeming like they were purposely trolling us with it at one point), or maybe one or both of the actors don't like it.

• Like 1
On 3/14/2023 at 6:05 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I really enjoyed Coma Bobby.

20 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was moved by it too.

I didn't hate the episode at all (but then again, I tend to like these coma dream/alternate universe story lines). I liked seeing a alternate universe in which the oldest son still lived (though the adulation of Buck was a bit much - still, it was his dream, not mine)

And having been outspoken about Chim not needing to reconnect with his father, I was surprised that the step-mother's explanation put a spin on it that made me think twice. Not so much that Chim should HAVE to reconcile, but that there were other factors he might consider that could lead to some understanding and result in a reconciliation. It was, of course, a bit of a whiplash.

Having Buck be the one who brought them all together (or whatever) was a bit much, though.

• Like 2

Ugh.  I don't like shows where the plot detours and characters become confused about their own reality.   Combining "What if?" and "Anything goes!" must be fun for the writers, but I just feel impatient for the show to get back on track.*

Oh, and I don't like Buck, so this was a five-minute episode for me.  Call me when there's another disaster.

*I did enjoy Meredith Grey insisting she couldn't be dead because her late dog would be there, just as the dog hopped up into her lap.

• Like 1
On 3/13/2023 at 6:31 PM, bilgistic said:

I don’t think she is but the show thinks that because she’s not rail thin, they have to dress her in tents. I feel like she would look much better without clothes that are too big for her with heavy jackets or sweaters over them. 

Edited by MinorL
Spelling, clarity.
  • Like 7
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I had no idea Peter Krause had such comedic chops.  More of that, please.

He started off mostly in comedy.  In fact, his first regular series role was on a Carol Burnett comedy anthology show and his next series regular role that I think really launched him into a known name was on Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
On 3/16/2023 at 1:13 PM, MinorL said:

don’t think she is but the show thinks that because she’s not rail thin, they have to dress her in tents. I feel like she would look much better without clothes that are too big for her with heavy jackets or sweaters over them. 

This was really distracting because I couldn’t figure out if she was pregnant again and trying to hide it and it was taking me out of the scenes.  Just put her in regular clothes show, I think the viewing audience can handle it 🙄 

I’ll be the asshole.  Chim shouldn’t have forgiven his dad.  Not that they need to be enemies, but there was no reason he should have to forget his dad basically abandoned him. They can be cordial, but guilting Chim into having this relationship with his dad is gaslighting and not ok.  I also think the origin of his nickname will only be revealed in the series finale, if ever.

Another unpopular opinion but I’m not a Bobby fan so I was kind of pissed they made Buck’s life threatening situation all about Bobby.  Gee I hope Buck lives because BOBBY wouldn’t be able to handle it if he dies.  Not his parents, or his sister, or his best friends, but BOBBY.  Ugh.

• Like 2