Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

We will all remember Bob Newhart’s unassuming brand of comedy and his delightful classic sitcoms… but let us not forget his role as Bernard the mouse in the Rescuers film series. Bernard taught kids that anyone can be a hero, and we need that lesson more than ever these days. 

I could actually believe  Bernard the mouse was blushing while Miss Bianca (Eva Gabor) flirted with him- thanks to Mr. Newhart's hesitations and pauses in all the right spots!

Yeah, they were an awesome team!  Thanks for reminding me of the great cartoon chemistry and teamwork of Mr. Newhart and Miss Gabor!

• Like 8
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

BTW, as long as I'm thinking about  his standup one-sided 'phone' routines, I might as well mention a phrase Mr. Newhart at the very least popularized via his dry delivery 'Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?'- told about a century after the event!

That originated from Bob Newhart?!?! I’m not even going to look it up, I’m just going to accept that as fact from now on. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
(edited)
24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That originated from Bob Newhart?!?!

I don't think so, but I don't know where it originated.

I don't even remember him saying that.  What I remember, Lincoln-wise, from his phone routine, was talking to President Lincoln, not his wife, concluding with: "Tell you what, Abe, why don't you take in a play?"

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Besides The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart a show I liked was George and Leo where Newhart and Judd Hirsch played in laws. Jason Bateman played Bob's son. It unfortunately only lasted one season from 1997 to 98.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

That famous ending is on YouTube 

(It's not bootleg, but I don't know if I'll get in trouble for posting the link)

I was too young to watch either of his shows growing up, but I remember hearing the ending of the second one being discussed on my morning radio show the next day.

How ludicrous and yet brilliant to turn the whole thing into an 8-year long dream.

He was very funny in a Saturday Night Live episode he hosted in 1995 too.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

https://nypost.com/2024/07/18/entertainment/christina-halls-ex-josh-dropped-from-hgtvs-the-flip-off-after-split-report/

They either haven't filmed the Tarek/Heather vs. Christina, or they're reshooting, and the ex-Mr. Christina is out.   

I randomly thought of that series earlier today when I heard people on the radio talking about the split.  I wondered if it had been aired or not.  I guess that answers that question.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What I remember, Lincoln-wise, from his phone routine, was talking to President Lincoln, not his wife, concluding with: "Tell you what, Abe, why don't you take in a play?"

He was definitely talking to Lincoln and as far as I remember his wife isn't even mentioned.  But it's been awhile.   I am thrilled to find that Amazon has some CDS with these routines available at fairly reasonable prices.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 7/18/2024 at 8:32 PM, Irlandesa said:

I randomly thought of that series earlier today when I heard people on the radio talking about the split.  I wondered if it had been aired or not.  I guess that answers that question.

No, it's scheduled to air Spring of 2025, so apparently wasn't shot yet, but will be going forward without soon-to-be Ex #3. 

I wonder if soon-to-be ex will be edited out of her other shows?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

Does anyone else remember the time he showed up on Murphy Brown playing his Dr. Hartley character from The Bob Newhart Show?  So good.

Vividly - his line deliveries and reactions were comedy perfection.

• Like 7
  • Love 10

Very sad day. His comedy routines would sometimes get played on Dr. Demento. If you remember that.  

His character on Newhart  hosted a local tv program and his most coveted interview was to get the President of the University of Vermont, which never happened. I was attending the University of Vermont at the time and always found that amusing because the school president was so boring the most exciting thing about him was when the faternities would prank call in pizza deliveries to his house. 

"Hi! I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl."

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Cheng Pei-pei, ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’, ‘Mulan’, and ‘Come Drink With Me’ Actress, Dies at 78.

Known as the “Queen of Swords”, she is considered to be among the first female action stars.

In a career-spanning six decades, Cheng burst on to the scene in the 1960s, becoming a star for Shaw Brothers Studios, the Hong Kong production company modelled on the Hollywood studios that became internationally famous for action films and period martial arts epics, a genre that is known as wuxia. In all, she made 20 films for Shaw Brothers, including the previously mentioned Come Drink With Me as well as Princess Iron Fan and Golden Swallow. Cheng regained international notoriety for her role in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and her prolific output continued until recently, with her last major role coming in Disney’s live-action remake of Mulan (2020).

Edited by Palimelon
  • Sad 16

Not Bob! I loved him in everything he was in. I first saw him in Newhart and then the Bob Newhart show when they aired reruns. He was great in both. One of the best finales ever. And the show that gave us "This is my brother Daryl and my other brother Darryl" which still goes on. 

I loved him as Judson in the Librarian movies. I loved him showing up on Murphy Brown. Loved him as Bernard in the Rescuers.

• Like 12

For Bob Newhart fans (times are Eastern):
- MeTV will be running a 2 part episode of The Carol Burnett Show, in which he was a guest star, on Sunday, July 21st at 10:30P and Monday, July 22nd at 11P
- CBS will be air a Bob Newhart Tribute Special on Monday night at 8pm

• Like 7

From USA Today:

TBS pays tribute to Professor Proton with 'Big Bang Theory' marathon

"Big Bang Theory" fans will be able to celebrate Newhart's legacy with a "best of Professor Proton" marathon on Sunday, July 21. Here are the episodes that will air beginning at 8 p.m.

Season 6, Episode 22: "The Proton Resurgence"

Season 7, Episode 7: "The Proton Displacement"

Season 7, Episode 22: "The Proton Transmogrification"

Season 9, Episode 11: "The Opening Night Excitation"

Season 11, Episode 6: "The Proton Regeneration"

Season 12, Episode 5: "The Planetarium Collision"

• Like 9
  • Love 1
(edited)

On that note, if anyone gets the Catchy Comedy channel (I get it via Frndly TV), they're showing  The Bob Newhart Show through tomorrow morning, and then Newhart from 9am for the rest of the day. And it looks like a handful of Bob episodes overnight Sunday to Monday morning. 

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2

I loved Bob Newhart in In and Out.  It's on Paramount Plus, if anyone wants to check it out. 

*If you've never seen it before, keep in mind, it was filmed in 1997, so there are a few things about it that may not be acceptable viewed through today's lens.  But, I loved it. 

• Like 8

Despite everything I've seen Bob Newhart in, the one thing I will never forget was his turn as Braveheart at the MTV movie awards.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

These old Nick at Nite promos are an absolute must for Newhart fans (the one on Joanna's sweaters is a hoot).

I remember watching that years ago. It was so funny. I miss when Nick at Night had good old shows on.

• Like 4

I watched last night's CBS special on Bob Newhart; it was very enjoyable.  It was evident that Bob was truly beloved by his co-workers throughout the years.  For him, the best thing in a life of professional success was his family and friends.  

8 hours ago, Notabug said:

Great YouTube documentary from Judd Apatow on the decades-long friendship between Bob Newhart and Don Rickles.  About 20 minutes long and worth it.

Bob and Don:  A Love Story

I watched this over the weekend.  It was great.  I also highly recommend taking a few minutes to watch it.  

• Like 9
28 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I watched last night's CBS special on Bob Newhart; it was very enjoyable.  It was evident that Bob was truly beloved by his co-workers throughout the years.  For him, the best thing in a life of professional success was his family and friends.  

I liked it, too. Even learned a few things about him, stuff about his early work pre-"Bob Newhart", and the fact that he and his wife met on a blind date that Buddy Hackett had set up :D. That's cute. 

And yeah, I really liked how the people interviewed all had this reverence and respect for him when they spoke of him. What a career and a legacy to leave behind. 

• Like 5
  • Love 5
On 7/22/2024 at 2:39 AM, Palimelon said:

The only time Ryan was bearable for me was when he was with Gillian. RIP, Esta.

Ryan and Greenlee eating the show alive was the beginning of the end for me. I loved Gillian though. I can't remember if it was her choice to leave AMC though.

• Like 3

John Mayall, pioneering figure of British blues, dies aged 90.

Influential musician, whose band the Bluesbreakers played leading role in 60s blues revival, dies at home in California.

Singing as well as playing guitar and keys, Mayall recruited musicians including John McVie (who would go on to form Fleetwood Mac) for the earliest incarnation of his ever-evolving band the Bluesbreakers. They released their debut single in 1964, and were the backing band for John Lee Hooker the same year. Mayall also played with touring blues greats including Sonny Boy Williamson and T-Bone Walker in this period, and used his own band evangelistically to bring the blues to wider attention in the UK, playing both cover versions and original material.

Amid a constantly rotating lineup, Eric Clapton joined the Bluesbreakers in 1965 after leaving the Yardbirds, and the first sessions with him were produced by a young Jimmy Page (who soon joined the Yardbirds, before forming Led Zeppelin).

Clapton’s place was then briefly taken by another future Fleetwood Mac star, Peter Green, and Jack Bruce played bass for a time. After Clapton returned, the group recorded their first hit album, 1966’s Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton.

Clapton left shortly after to form Cream – “He was always kind of restless so it wasn’t really that big of a surprise,” Mayall later said – and Green returned, with the Bluesbreakers also briefly including another Fleetwood Mac co-founder, drummer Mick Fleetwood. After Green left permanently, Mayall hired a 17-year-old Mick Taylor, who played with the band before replacing Brian Jones in the Rolling Stones. The Bluesbreakers had three further UK Top 10 albums in this period, including the No 3 hit Bare Wires.

• Sad 11
17 hours ago, Calvada said:

I watched last night's CBS special on Bob Newhart;

I tried to watch it, but I have satellite TV, and a giant thunderstorm came through right in the middle of the show.  I missed a huge chunk, and am sad.  Does anyone know if it's streaming anywhere?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I tried to watch it, but I have satellite TV, and a giant thunderstorm came through right in the middle of the show.  I missed a huge chunk, and am sad.  Does anyone know if it's streaming anywhere?

It's on CBS' website, search for 'Bob Newhart'.

Edited by Notabug
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Now, this is upsetting. I remember watching Newhart's series finale, where it seemed everyone was taking a page out of Dallas' Season 9 being Pam's dream (it was THE ONLY WAY for Bobby to come back, so I didn't care!), and I laughed and cheered when I heard and saw Suzanne Pleshette wake up next to Bob, as he told her about the weird dream he had. It's available on YouTube, but when I went to the actual episode on Amazon Prime? Not there. I know I'm not crazy. I REMEMBER watching it LIVE. And Newhart even talks about how they let out fake finales and it was a closed set, but the audience recognized the old bedroom set before Suzanne popped up.

So now I'm wondering if the snow is the edited versions?

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Now, this is upsetting. I remember watching Newhart's series finale, where it seemed everyone was taking a page out of Dallas' Season 9 being Pam's dream (it was THE ONLY WAY for Bobby to come back, so I didn't care!), and I laughed and cheered when I heard and saw Suzanne Pleshette wake up next to Bob, as he told her about the weird dream he had. It's available on YouTube, but when I went to the actual episode on Amazon Prime? Not there. I know I'm not crazy. I REMEMBER watching it LIVE. And Newhart even talks about how they let out fake finales and it was a closed set, but the audience recognized the old bedroom set before Suzanne popped up.

So now I'm wondering if the snow is the edited versions?

Do you mean the episode is not there, or it is there without the final scene?  If the former, I have discovered that shows offered by Amazon Prime or FreeVee are often incomplete.  Look at the episode list on IMDB and compare it to the episode list on Amazon Prime for any particular season of a show and you will realize that the seasons are incomplete. 

If the latter, that the episode is there but without the final scene, I have no idea why that would be.  

• Useful 2
6 minutes ago, Calvada said:

If the latter, that the episode is there but without the final scene, I have no idea why that would be.  

The latter. I ended up searching on YouTube, and the quality wasn't the greatest. But I found an interview where he said they had planned this since the end of season 5, which was when he thought the show would originally end, and it was his wife's idea to do the dream sequence! and Suzanne was up for it too!

• Useful 2

Re Newhart 's finale, the most fun homage was the extra scene from Breaking Bad where Walt/(Hal, Malcolm in the Middle) wakes up and tells his wife that he dreamt he was meth kingpin!!!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Re Newhart 's finale, the most fun homage was the extra scene from Breaking Bad where Walt/(Hal, Malcolm in the Middle) wakes up and tells his wife that he dreamt he was meth kingpin!!!

To save those who haven't seen it the search...

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

To save those who haven't seen it the search...

thanks for posting. I have a very hard time posting  on this site

• Like 1

Emmy and Oscar winning Sound Designer Leo Chaloukian who worked on classic television shows like “Lassie, Death Valley Days, Route 66, Maverick, Gunsmoke and Jacques Cousteau specials and films such as BullittThe Graduate, Love Story, The Godfather, Platoon, and Chinatown has died, age 97. 

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/news/remembering-leo-chaloukian

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/leo-chaloukian-dead-sound-designer-1235956700/

https://deadline.com/2024/07/leo-chaloukian-dead-television-academy-1236019871/

https://variety.com/2024/tv/people-news/leo-chaloukian-dead-television-academy-president-1236083084/

• Sad 6
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Emmy and Oscar winning Sound Designer Leo Chaloukian who worked on classic television shows like “Lassie, Death Valley Days, Route 66, Maverick, Gunsmoke and Jacques Cousteau specials and films such as BullittThe Graduate, Love Story, The Godfather, Platoon, and Chinatown has died, age 97. 

https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/news/remembering-leo-chaloukian

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/leo-chaloukian-dead-sound-designer-1235956700/

https://deadline.com/2024/07/leo-chaloukian-dead-television-academy-1236019871/

https://variety.com/2024/tv/people-news/leo-chaloukian-dead-television-academy-president-1236083084/

Dramatic music in the background cued fear, romance, or whimsy to the audience in the days when production could be otherwise rudimentary. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Irish author Edna O’Brien dies aged 93.

After early novels that won international acclaim but were banned at home, the Irish author had a prolific career lasting more than half a century.

In a series of novels beginning with The Country Girls that were at first banned in Ireland but feted abroad, O’Brien gave voice to women struggling with the oppressive and hypocritical expectations of rural life. Her focus widened in later works such as House of Splendid Isolation and The Little Red Chairs, but always maintained the keen intelligence and daring that made Philip Roth once hail her as “the most gifted woman now writing fiction in English”.

• Sad 5
(edited)

Author and journalist Gail Lumet Buckley who wrote The Hornes: An American Family (1986) and The Black Calhouns: From Civil War to Civil Rights (2006) about the history of her Black middle-class family, has died, age 86. Ms. Buckley was the daughter of singer/actor Lena Horne.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/gail-lumet-buckley-dead-author-lena-horne-daughter-1235960183/

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/26/books/gail-lumet-buckley-dead.html

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 9