Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, kittykat said:

Oh come on!  Sadly I saw this one coming since Shannen has been public about her cancer battle and how it's not going well but it still sucks. 

Yeah, I'd heard the updates and all, and yet I still went, "Ohhhhhh..." when I saw this headline. I never reallly saw any of her work that I can recall, but I was certainly familiar with her name, and I appreciated how she handled her battle with cancer. No doubt it was difficult to talk about much of the time, but if her public awareness helped save someone's life in the process, and encouraged more people to get themselves checked, and so on, then that's quite the positive legacy to leave behind. 

So very sad. Far too young. Condolences to her family, friends, and fans, and may she rest in peace.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Never cared for her as an entitled - and yes she was - actress.

But Ms Dougherty fought hard, fought well, shared her suffering, brought attention to her disease, and did all this with bravery.

Hopefully she's resting in peace and health.

I remember the first time I saw Shannen was in an episode of Father Murphy when she was a little girl. I don't usually remember guest stars in tv shows but she was quite a stand out. She's had negative stuff said about her in later roles but I never disliked her due to that first impression.

Regarding Richard Simmons, I was a big fan. As a person who struggled with weight, I appreciated his low impact approach. He once said to just keep moving; that simple things like taking a shower or walking to the mailbox means you're moving. That really stayed with me. Other health personalities push beyond your limits but Richard's video had simple steps. But wow, those simple moves really did made me sweat.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

The news about Shannen really hurts. Just as I had hoped that Olivia Newton-John would have beat the cancer, I had the same hopes for Shannen. I’ve said it before that I have loved her since her days on Little House on the Prairie and just as @Bastet stated, when the ridiculous “I Hate Brenda Walsh” newsletter came out by morons who couldn’t tell she was fictional, my support for Shannen just increased. Team Shannen all the way. She didn’t need that much rehearsal because she had a photographic memory and her costars resented her for that.

RIP, Shannen. and FUCK CANCER!

• Like 9
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Calvada said:

And the hits keep coming - actor James B. Sikking has died.  I remember him most from Hill Street Blues

He'll always be Doogie's dad to me, so I liked this from Neil Patrick Harris (via his Instagram):

Jim Sikking played my dad in Doogie Howser, MD, and was one of the kindest, wisest, funniest, and most generous people I’ve ever known. A true professional. He treated everyone with respect, taught me countless lessons, yet always had a spark of mischief in his eyes. It was an absolute honor to be his son. My condolences to his actual family for their loss.

• Like 15
  • Love 5

Brenda was my favorite character on the show. I hated what happened to her and her character. I always hated Dylan and Kelly after they had an affair while Brenda was in Paris. 

• Like 5
  • Love 5

Generation Kill author Evan Wright dies aged 59.

After Generation Kill, Wright continued to write about topics ranging from environmentalists to neo-Nazis; his other books included American Desperado, about the mafia cocaine smuggler Jon Roberts, and How to Get Away with Murder in America, about a CIA agent who became the focus of an FBI investigation. He also worked as a producer on TV shows including The Bridge, The Man in the High Castle, Homeland, and Dirty John.

• Sad 10

In the mid-2010s, Craig Ferguson hosted a game show called Celebrity Name Game where people would work with celebrities to try to win money.  The first season, the clues were usually celebrities' names, and whenever Shannen Doherty's name would come up as a clue, the contestant would say something negative about her (instead of just that she was on 90210 and Charmed or something like that).  I don't know how it came about--if she reached out or the show asked her--but Shannen then appeared a few times as a celebrity working with the contestants on the second season.  I thought it was cool that she was such a good sport and came on the show in spite of people's perceptions of her.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Grab your smellin' salts, because this will surely shock you: HGTV's Christina El Moussa Anstead Hall is getting divorced again

Experience taught her nothing, as they apparently don't have a pre-nup, and he's asking for alimony and the rights to all the HGTV content they produced.  For those not keeping track (which normally includes me, but this article popped up as a recommendation on something else I was reading, and I have to admit her husband-picking skills being as terrible as her design skills amuses me, so I read it):  After she divorced the second guy in 2021, she married this one in April 2022 and they felt the need to have a second wedding that September.  Fast forward to this week, and they both filed petitions for divorce.

Edited by Bastet
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Grab your smellin' salts, because this will surely shock you: HGTV's Christina El Moussa Anstead Hall is getting divorced again

Experience taught her nothing, as they apparently don't have a pre-nup, and he's asking for alimony and the rights to all the HGTV content they produced.  For those not keeping track (which normally includes me, but this article popped up as a recommendation on something else I was reading, and I have to admit her husband-picking skills being as terrible as her design skills amuses me, so I read it):  After she divorced the second guy in 2021, she married this one in April 2022 and they felt the need to have a second wedding that September.  Fast forward to this week, and they both filed petitions for divorce.

If this is her 3rd then it's probably not her husband picking skills that are crap, more like their wife picking skills being off.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
49 minutes ago, Shrek said:

If this is her 3rd then it's probably not her husband picking skills that are crap, more like their wife picking skills being off.

Meh. TomAto, tomahto. 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

actor James B. Sikking has died.  I remember him most from Hill Street Blues.  Judas Priest! 

A favorite quote from Lt. Howard Hunter, talking to Capt. Furillo about his date with the infamous Grace Gardner:

"Frank, she heats up her body lotion in her microwave! (long pause) I mean, Judas Priest! How is any right-thinking male supposed to keep his powder dry under that kind of ungodly erotogenic pressure?"

Nobody could turn a phrase quite like Howard! RIP, Mr. Sikking. 

• Like 11
5 hours ago, Shrek said:

I think it sounds like a four-way tie re spouse-picking with only booby prizes netted.

At least the former Miss Haack had no offspring by Mr. Hall so they can split and never have to see or hear from each other again (to say nothing of not having to deal with any custody clashes).

In other marital news, Shannen Doherty's divorce from her 3rd husband was finalized -possibly as recently as the day before if not the actual  day of her death.

I wonder if she might have willed herself to stay alive to make sure THAT was taken care of. I know that she was quite worried about her mother  in the event of the older woman outliving her. Hence, it would make sense that she wouldn't want her mother to deal with an estranged widowed son-in-law. It's by no means unheard of for terminally ill people to somehow hang on long enough to try to accomplish one last goal before letting go.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

I don't think it's about Christina's husband picking skills. I believe it's more than likely that she's very HIGH maintenance. Probably something she hides until she starts getting comfortable in whatever relationship she's in at that moment.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I know he’s been shaky for a while, but it still hurts. I loved his stint as Professor Proton on Big Bang Theory, but we had to give props to him voicing sweet and timid (til he finally found his spine) Bernard from The Rescuers movies. An underrated Disney performance if there ever was one. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 10
(edited)

If you only knew Bob Newhart through his work in television and movies, run don't walk  to youtube and check out some of the routines he did on his early comedy albums.  If you need to smile (and this week of all weeks, who doesn't?) I recommend trying "Bus driver training".

Edited by Dimity
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I loved Bob Newhart.  The Bob Newhart Show is in the top 5 of my favorite series.  I like Newhart too, just a step below TBNS, although it had the best final scene ever. 

I saw him perform live several years ago, which was wonderful.  He did a lot of the routines from his early albums.  

• Like 10
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Calvada said:

I like Newhart too, just a step below TBNS, although it had the best final scene ever. 

People often use the term "comedy gold" but this scene really, truly was one of the funniest scenes I've ever watched on a television sitcom.  "You know, you really should wear more sweaters"

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Dimity said:

If you only knew Bob Newhart through his work in television and movies, run don't walk  to youtube and check out some of the routines he did on his early comedy albums.  If you need to smile (and this week of all weeks, who doesn't?) I recommend trying "Bus driver training".

My parents had that album when I was a kid, we listened to it over and over.  A true comic genius.

Newhart's album 'The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart' was a megahit when it was released and actually won Best Album at the Grammys.  This is before they separated them into categories so it beat out all the musical offerings that year.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Dimity said:

People often use the term "comedy gold" but this scene really, truly was one of the funniest scenes I've ever watched on a television sitcom.  "You know, you really should wear more sweaters"

Have you ever seen the blooper from Newhart when Bob called Mary Frann's character Emily?  Talk about comedy gold!  

When the finale of Newhart was first broadcast, I recognized Bob & Emily's bedroom immediately.  That final scene was the brainchild of Bob's wife Ginny.  

• Like 18
  • Useful 3
37 minutes ago, Dimity said:

Oh my god I know he was 94 but I don't care.  Bob Newhart should have lived forever 💔!

The finale for his 2nd show, where he wakes up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette, is one of the best finales ever. RIP sir, and thank you for all the laughs.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Noooo!!!!!!  

I remember watching The Bob Newhart show so many years ago.  I'm sure a lot of the jokes went over my very young head, but I loved the show.  

And then Newhart, another great show.  How many people can say they anchored two of the best sitcoms ever?  And hands down the best series finale ever.

Fare thee well, Professor Proton.  

• Like 11
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Have you ever seen the blooper from Newhart when Bob called Mary Frann's character Emily?  Talk about comedy gold! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • LOL 9

If there is such a thing as an "inner circle" of A-list celebrities, Bob Newhart's right there. I realize he was 94 and couldn't live forever, but opening this thread and seeing that he's no longer with us is a punch to the gut. His was a unique talent and the world is a lesser place without him.

Rest well, Bob. You spread a lot of joy and laughter to all of us. I can't think of a better thing a human being can do for others.

• Like 7
  • Love 12

I gasped and said, "Awwwww..." when I saw the news about Bob Newhart. I watched reruns of the "Bob Newhart Show" all the time on Nick at Nite as a kid, and I'll still catch them with my mom sometimes on any TV channels that air them. Same with "Newhart" (a show I can't think of now without thinking of "Ghosts" doing an episode where the show "Newhart" plays a notable role :D). He was just always this familiar, comforting presence on TV, it was always good to see him pop up somewhere. 

Damn. 94 is a good run, though. Rest in peace, Mr. Newhart. 

• Like 13
(edited)
20 hours ago, Blergh said:

I think it sounds like a four-way tie re spouse-picking with only booby prizes netted.

At least the former Miss Haack had no offspring by Mr. Hall so they can split and never have to see or hear from each other again (to say nothing of not having to deal with any custody clashes).

https://nypost.com/2024/07/18/entertainment/christina-halls-ex-josh-dropped-from-hgtvs-the-flip-off-after-split-report/

They either haven't filmed the Tarek/Heather vs. Christina, or they're reshooting, and the ex-Mr. Christina is out.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

We will all remember Bob Newhart’s unassuming brand of comedy and his delightful classic sitcoms… but let us not forget his role as Bernard the mouse in the Rescuers film series. Bernard taught kids that anyone can be a hero, and we need that lesson more than ever these days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 6
(edited)

Yeah, I actually looked forward to Saturday nights seeing The Bob Newhart Show so I could visit Bob and Emily as well as their offbeat colleagues, pals and patients. Even though by all accounts Mr. Newhart was a dedicated family man, oddly enough he grew dissatisfied with the sitcom because he missed having to prove himself to new audiences each night as a standup comic! Yes, here he was having reached the goal of being The Star of his namesake sitcom and all the security it promised his family and yet he never lost his craving for the live audience approval well into his 90's! Isn't that amazing?

BTW, as long as I'm thinking about  his standup one-sided 'phone' routines, I might as well mention a phrase Mr. Newhart at the very least popularized via his dry delivery 'Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?'- told about a century after the event!

May the younger generations soon find their way to YouTube,etc. and see him in his prime instead of solely knowing him as the aging Professor Proton!

RIP, Mr. Newhart and have a fun reunion with Mrs. Newhart, Miss Pleshette, Mr. Poston, Mr. Rickles,Miss Wallace and so many others!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 12
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

We will all remember Bob Newhart’s unassuming brand of comedy and his delightful classic sitcoms… but let us not forget his role as Bernard the mouse in the Rescuers film series. Bernard taught kids that anyone can be a hero, and we need that lesson more than ever these days. 

I just watched Recusers Down Under a couple weeks ago. I forgot he was in those movies untilI saw it again. He was wonderful in them. 

• Like 9

Does anyone else remember the time he showed up on Murphy Brown playing his Dr. Hartley character from The Bob Newhart Show?  So good.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1