Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

(edited)

A motorcycle accident?! How awful!

Treat Williams was in so many shows. The first two things that come to mind for me was 1941 when he played as the creepy soldier that kept stalking Wally’s girlfriend, and playing the prince in the Little Mermaid episode of Faerie Tale Theatre. I should note that the prince in the original fairy tale comes off as a douche, but Treat managed to avoid that…I will always remember the gentle way he broke it to Pearl (Pam Dawber): “I love you, but I’m not in love with you.”

😭😭😭😭😭

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Sad 5
On 6/9/2023 at 11:10 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Are they married?  All I can say is that Naomi looks breathtaking in that dress! She’s just stunning!  I like that look a lot.  And Billy looks great too.  He’s really sexy, imo.  What a lovely couple. 

https://pagesix.com/2023/06/09/naomi-watts-billy-crudup-fuel-marriage-rumors-as-theyre-spotted-wearing-matching-wedding-rings/

I saw this, after Mark Ruffalo posted about it. I like Naomi, but Crudup has left me with an "ick" feeling, since he dumped Mary Louise-Parker, when she was seven months pregnant. 

Claire Danes is married to Hugh Dancy (Hannibal), and is apparently expecting their third child. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

A motorcycle accident?! How awful!

Treat Williams was in so many shows. The first two things that come to mind for me was 1941 when he played as the creepy soldier that kept stalking Wally’s girlfriend, and playing the prince in the Little Mermaid episode of Faerie Tale Theatre. I should note that the prince in the original fairy tale comes off as a douche, but Treat managed to avoid that…I will always remember the gentle way he broke it to Pearl (Pam Dawber): “I love you, but I’m not in love with you.”

😭😭😭😭😭

I follow him on twitter, and he'd just been posting about mowing his property in Vermont. :( 

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 7
9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Another author has passed away.  Julie Garwood, one of the titans of romance has passed. 

Smart Bitches, Trashy Books has a really nice write up of her. She is a favorite of mine.  Her book 'The Bride' is a seminal book in romance and introduced humor and quirky heroines. 

RIP Ms. Garwood.

I posted about this in the book forum, I'm a bit miffed at the lack of media coverage about Julie.  If it wasn't for someone reading the obits in the St. Louis area, Romancelandia would not have known about her passing.  She was a multiple NYT Bestselling author and not one blip about her death.  And yet when the male Literature author dies, it's breaking news.  

I reread The Bride last night and it is so good.  Up next is The Secret.  I really do need to reread my first Garwood For the Roses here soon.  I haven't read that since high school.  

• Like 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I reread The Bride last night and it is so good.  Up next is The Secret.  I really do need to reread my first Garwood For the Roses here soon.  I haven't read that since high school.  

I re-read The Bride earlier this year and it absolutely stands the test of time. So good.    My favorite line "She started three wars in the first week."  And in the ending with all those 'enemies' coming to her defense was fantastic.

I decided to re-read 'The Secret' and I am cracking up from the first chapter. 

And yes, I am so perplexed why there isn't a write up of her in a major paper.  Only the obits.  So weird.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Another author has passed away.  Julie Garwood, one of the titans of romance has passed. 

Smart Bitches, Trashy Books has a really nice write up of her. She is a favorite of mine.  Her book 'The Bride' is a seminal book in romance and introduced humor and quirky heroines. 

RIP Ms. Garwood.

I love The Bride.  I haven’t read fiction in decades, so I must go back and read that and The Gift, and The Claybourne Brides.  I wonder how many of her novels I’ve missed in the past couple of decades.

• Like 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The fact that that this iconic moment never got its justice on film** is galling.

**Yes, it was done on all the Spider-Man cartoons, but never in the MCU and sure as hell not in the Raimi movies.

They had her say the line at the end of Spider-Man 2 but it wasn't the same. The comic version was the payoff of a running joke for 40 issues that Aunt May was always trying to set Peter up with her friend's niece who he imagined was unattractive. They would always miss meeting each other because Peter had to be off being Spider-Man and the reader never saw her face. Romita had just replaced Steve Ditko as artist and he had come from romance comics where his specialty was drawing beautiful girls.

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

RIP Ms. Garwood.

I am ABSOLUTELY GUTTED by this news. I LOVED all her historicals, and the ones named here and in the book forum.

6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I posted about this in the book forum, I'm a bit miffed at the lack of media coverage about Julie.  If it wasn't for someone reading the obits in the St. Louis area, Romancelandia would not have known about her passing.  She was a multiple NYT Bestselling author and not one blip about her death.  And yet when the male Literature author dies, it's breaking news.  

I also reread these just a few months ago, along with The Lion’s Lady, Guardian Angel, The Gift, Castles, Honor’s Splendour.

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I re-read The Bride earlier this year and it absolutely stands the test of time. So good.    My favorite line "She started three wars in the first week."  And in the ending with all those 'enemies' coming to her defense was fantastic.

I decided to re-read 'The Secret' and I am cracking up from the first chapter. 

And yes, I am so perplexed why there isn't a write up of her in a major paper.  Only the obits.  So weird.

I always laugh at that! And that when she tells her new clan her name is Jamie, they respond with ”But that’s a man’s name.”😄😄😅

One of my favorites is Honor’s Splendour, where Madelyne has tamed and named Duncan’s war horse Silenus. And referred to him as her “lamb.”😄😄 His response?

”She has RUINED my faithful horse!”

There are so many other great lines and books. She deserved more than a brief mention in obits.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Wow, I used to love them and saw them live way back in the early 90s. I’m guessing drugs, sadly. 

• Sad 2
On 6/8/2023 at 7:49 PM, Bastet said:

Not since Chris Elliot have I had such a visceral reaction to someone; they both make me feel like pustules have taken human form and I just want to get away.

To me it's a testament to how fantastic everything else about Schitt$ Creek was that I could bear to watch it, never mind love it.

• Like 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

That one made me gasp a bit when I saw the headline, although it shouldn't really, given her age. She came out of retirement a couple of years ago to make an absolutely beautiful TV Movie called 'Elizabeth is Missing', based on a book of the same name (which is well worth reading, btw) - the story is about a missing person (although not really the one in the title) but it is told from the point of view of an old woman with dementia, and it really packs a punch, all the more so because it is a perspective not often seen - she's so muddled and she knows she is muddled but can't do anything about it and no one will listen to her or take her seriously, she gets all the details wrong on one level yet completely right on another, she solves a 70-year-old mystery and it brings her no peace, because she can't retain new information. Really powerful. Jackson was wonderful in it.

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 16
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 4
On 6/14/2023 at 3:36 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

There are so many other great lines and books. She deserved more than a brief mention in obits.

Could this have been a decision her family made?  I mean not releasing information about her death through her publisher or a publicist of some kind?

26 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Could this have been a decision her family made?  I mean not releasing information about her death through her publisher or a publicist of some kind?

Even if they did that, I still wanted columns praising her work, her life, and all the joy she brought to so many readers. Not just an obit mention. So many other celebrities get both. She deserved that. I remember, it was a couple of years before I knew and started going to Nora Roberts's little book store (she's local and actually her husband runs the shop) for signings, Julie was there during one of the July summer signings and the line went down three blocks and the corner, and fans stood in the sweltering heat just to get their books signed and to meet her.

The major papers should have had someone do write ups about her. And I'm still miffed.

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The major papers should have had someone do write ups about her. And I'm still miffed.

Sadly, it comes down to romance writers not getting much respect.  Write a book full of doom and gloom and grisly death and you get awards, write positive, life affirming books, and you get a lot of people who love the books but will never admit to reading them.

• Like 10
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Even if they did that, I still wanted columns praising her work, her life, and all the joy she brought to so many readers. Not just an obit mention. So many other celebrities get both. She deserved that. I remember, it was a couple of years before I knew and started going to Nora Roberts's little book store (she's local and actually her husband runs the shop) for signings, Julie was there during one of the July summer signings and the line went down three blocks and the corner, and fans stood in the sweltering heat just to get their books signed and to meet her.

And publishing needs the Julie Garwoods and other romance authors in order to be able to publish the Cormac McCarthys.  Their business model is built upon using the profits made from authors writing in popular genres to finance the litfic authors.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
22 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Sadly, it comes down to romance writers not getting much respect.  Write a book full of doom and gloom and grisly death and you get awards, write positive, life affirming books, and you get a lot of people who love the books but will never admit to reading them.

I would understand (somewhat) if she had remained firmly niche or midlist and never really made it out of mass market.  But she really is a big name in romance and had moved to suspense hardcover.  So she had crossed over somewhat.  Bloggers and twitter are all over her death and her family has announced that she actually has some books that are complete and will be published posthumously.  Still, no excuse for at least the New York papers not to have something considering she was a published by the big NY houses.

20 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And publishing needs the Julie Garwoods and other romance authors in order to be able to publish the Cormac McCarthys.  Their business model is built upon using the profits made from authors writing in popular genres to finance the litfic authors.  

Yup.  Publishing's dirty little secret for years.  Romance was a billion dollar a year mule carrying them on their backs.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3

I'd never heard of her because romance is very much not my genre, but from reading about her here, I join her fans in calling bullshit on the way mainstream media has responded (or not, as the case may be) to her death.

• Like 7
On 6/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, Bastet said:

I'd never heard of her because romance is very much not my genre, but from reading about her here, I join her fans in calling bullshit on the way mainstream media has responded (or not, as the case may be) to her death.

There is an article on Garwood's death online at The Washington Post.  But it seems nothing (yet) in The NY Times.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
28 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott Split After 17 Years

I'm surprised they've been together this long!  Been hearing rumors of issues between them for years.

• Like 11
(edited)

I seem to recall Tori and Dean splitting up several times, only to get back together.  Right about the time they wanted to try for more TV time and paychecks.   

They also started their affair when Tori was a newlywed, and Dean was married to the mother of his kid.  This was right after her father spent $1 million plus on her wedding.   That marriage didn't last any time at all. 

I just feel sorry for all of the children involved, and not in the least for Tori and Dean.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 12
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I seem to recall Tori and Dean splitting up several times, only to get back together.  Right about the time they wanted to try for more TV time and paychecks.   

I still remember that "Emily Goodhand" mess.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Interesting that they were both married to other people when they started having their affair.  I feel sorry for the kids, but not for them. 

Yep, it ended predictably. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

This is one of those times when I wish there was a WTF button. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 11
49 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

...Ms. Higgins Clark was often asked if her mother ever gave her any advice. She generally gave the answer that she offered an audience in Palm Beach, Fla., in 2016: “She said, ‘If someone’s mean to you, make them a victim in your next book.’”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/16/books/carol-higgins-clark-dead.html

• LOL 17
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

“She said, ‘If someone’s mean to you, make them a victim in your next book.’”

Works for me!  

So sorry to hear of her death - she was still rather young!  I remember seeing her books on stands everywhere!  From the library to the airport bookshop.

• Like 8
On 6/9/2023 at 6:09 AM, bluegirl147 said:

At this point I feel like Pete Davidson has become like a tourist attraction.  Even if you don't want to go you feel like you have to see it for yourself. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6

Any of you still following the Kevin Costner divorce? 

(I actually don't like Costner, but I dislike looking at GIFs of Pete Davidson more and am desperate to provide some buffer space here. LOLOL ) 

https://people.com/kevin-costner-estranged-wife-christine-requests-248k-child-support-7550920

I don't like giving the Daily Mail clicks, but they do have the entire court filing posted, and it makes for some interesting reading. She has some especially pointed allegations about money concerning him and also denies that she was asking him to leave Yellowstone. I have no clue who to believe, but it seems like it's going to be a rather nasty divorce, even by nasty divorce standards. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 4