Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

Honestly, I didn’t realize Robert Blake was still alive.

And since he was acquitted by law, I’m going to give him the benefit of doubt.  This is not like the OJ trial where the Prosecution screwed up badly, or OJ has no alibi.

if he really was innocent, then he’s been harassed for decades and his daughter doesn’t deserve that stain on her parents.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

And since he was acquitted by law, I’m going to give him the benefit of doubt.  This is not like the OJ trial where the Prosecution screwed up badly, or OJ has no alibi.

He was also found liable for it in a civil suit. I don't think it's a miscarriage of justice or woefully unfair to him for people to consider Blake a killer. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Zella said:

He was also found liable for it in a civil suit.

Different rules in a civil trial - the jury doesn't even have to be unanimous and burden of proof is different.  Sometimes even if a person is not guilty of a crime in in a criminal trial, sometimes they try to stick it to them in a civil trial.

I haven't read much on the trial or deduced if Blake was guilty.  All I know is his wife was a status seeker and a user and a con artist.  Do I think she deserved what happened to her?  No.  

Whatever happened that fateful night, I can only believe that it will be sorted out by powers greater than that on Earth.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
25 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Different rules in a civil trial - the jury doesn't even have to be unanimous and burden of proof is different.  Sometimes even if a person is not guilty of a crime in in a criminal trial, sometimes they try to stick it to them in a civil trial.

I haven't read much on the trial or deduced if Blake was guilty.  All I know is his wife was a status seeker and a user and a con artist.  Do I think she deserved what happened to her?  No.  

Whatever happened that fateful night, I can only believe that it will be sorted out by powers greater than that on Earth.

I'm well aware of the differences with a civil trial. Being found not guilty at trial is also not the same as actually being innocent, so civil trials can also be a method of obtaining some justice when the criminal justice system fails and is not just "sticking it" to someone. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 12
11 hours ago, Zella said:

Being found not guilty at trial is also not the same as actually being innocent,

True.

11 hours ago, Zella said:

civil trials can also be a method of obtaining some justice when the criminal justice system fails and is not just "sticking it" to someone. 

Sometimes.  I've also seen far too many situations in which a person was found not guilty of something (and even having ample proof of such) at the state level only to be put through the legal wringer again at the federal level or in a civil hearing.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

She didn't deserve it and he got away with murder. Nothing in his story made any sense.

Agreed. Despite what Hollywood and mystery story writers would like us to believe usually the simplest explanation is the right explanation.

• Like 9
On 3/6/2023 at 3:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

Keke Palmer Has Welcomed Her First Child: "Born During Black History Month, With a Name to Match"
https://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/keke-palmer-gives-birth-to-first-child-49072202

Great pictures: https://pagesix.com/2023/02/28/keke-palmer-defends-her-darius-jacksons-baby-boy-leodis-name/

All I could think of when seeing the name was what in the J.D. Walker?!

J.D.'s Revenge was a 70's blaxploitation movie, google for pics of J.D. Walker.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

While Bonny sounded like a terrible person I still think Robert Blake killed her. She didn't deserve it and he got away with murder. Nothing in his story made any sense.

BTW, guess who was one of the late 2nd Mrs. Blake's former spouses? Scotty Wolfe (1908-1997) a  Baptist minister who the 8th of 10 husbands while she was his 29th of 31 wives. Mr. Wolfe is in the Guinness Book for having married the most spouses monogamously and his last wife was Linda Taylor as her 23rd( and last) husband. Yes, Miss Taylor holds the female Guinness title in that category!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
17 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Academy Awards 2023 In Memoriam

It's no TCM Remembers, but I think they did a better job than they often do.

I love that the picture of Angela Lansbury was a recent one; so often when a female actor dies in her 80s or 90s, we get an old glamour shot instead.

• Like 8

At the end of the live Oscar’s memoriam a link and QR code to the complete list was shown, which includes so-called “snubs,” such as Anne Heche and Paul Sorvino, although not Robert Blake:   
https://oscars.org/memoriam

Does anyone know what the criteria are for inclusion in the Academy’s Memoriam list?  
Is there a cutoff date? Do they need to be members of the Academy?  
And who decides which names will be shown during the live show?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Does anyone know what the criteria are for inclusion in the Academy’s Memoriam list?  
Is there a cutoff date? Do they need to be members of the Academy?  
And who decides which names will be shown during the live show?

There is a bit of info on this on the Wikipedia page.  From what I recall, there is a committee to decide who is included.  If someone is more known for Broadway and television than movies, even if they've appeared in movies, they might get excluded.  The presentation is usually finished a few days in advance but if someone dies close to the ceremony, there may be mentions/tributes to that person by presenters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

TMZ is reporting that Lindsay Lohan is pregnant. 

Well, let's hope that  Ms. Lohan and her impending little one will be healthy through the gestation and have a safe delivery and that her spouse Mr. Shamas and his side of the family will be good emotional support system for Ms. Lohan and her impending offspring in the foreseeable future. And, if Ms. Lohan's DNA Donors are still toxic, I hope they're doing everything they can to protect the impending little one from them (at the very least, no unsupervised visits with them).

• Like 7
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Technically speaking, the suspect (a Mr. Hartley) is 19-years-old. Hence a legal adult NOT a 'teen'.

Regardless of that. . WHAT does he think he is?! He not only allegedly attacked Mr. Allen who evidently was doing nothing more than smoking on his own hotel terrace but also allegedly attacked   a woman evidently for the audacity of having heard the commotion and tried to help Mr. Allen! Let's not forget that Mr. Allen had lost an arm yet, for all their faults, his colleagues in Def Leppard DID ensure he kept his position while he relearned how to drum with his remaining arm- and feet! Did this Hartley individual  have a vendetta against Mr. Allen for being physically challenged, was he a Def Leppard phobe or did he not know Mr. Allen from Adam and just randomly attacked him and this hithero unknown woman?  What kind of parenting did this Hartley have to think that this was in any way justified or acceptable?!

The more I think of it, the more appalled at this whole thing I'm getting!

I hope Mr. Allen and the woman who attempted to come to his aid make full recoveries and PRESS EVERY POSSIBLE CHARGE they can against their alleged attacker!

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
15 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Technically speaking, the suspect (a Mr. Hartley) is 19-years-old. Hence a legal adult NOT a 'teen'.

Regardless of that. . WHAT does he think he is?! He not only allegedly attacked Mr. Allen who evidently was doing nothing more than smoking on his own hotel terrace but also allegedly attacked   a woman evidently for the audacity of having heard the commotion and tried to help Mr. Allen! Let's not forget that Mr. Allen had lost an arm yet, for all their faults, his colleagues in Def Leppard DID ensure he kept his position while he relearned how to drum with his remaining arm- and feet! Did this Hartley individual  have a vendetta against Mr. Allen for being physically challenged, was he a Def Leppard phobe or did he not know Mr. Allen from Adam and just randomly attacked him and this hithero unknown woman?  What kind of parenting did this Hartley have to think that this was in any way justified or acceptable?!

The more I think of it, the more appalled at this whole thing I'm getting!

I hope Mr. Allen and the woman who attempted to come to his aid make full recoveries and PRESS EVERY POSSIBLE CHARGE they can against their alleged attacker!

I also hope all the car owners whose vehicles were vandalized recoup their losses. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Famed session drummer Jim Gordon who murdered his mother dies.

Born in Los Angeles, Gordon was part of the Wrecking Crew, the core group of studio musicians who played on scads of hits records for dozens of acts. He was behind the kit for such memorable 1960s albums as the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds and Crosby, Stills & Nash’s eponymous debut and also played with Joe Cocker on his famed tour that produced the seminal live album Mad Dogs and Englishmen...He went on to play on George Harrison’s first post-Beatles album, the huge-selling 1971 triple-disc set All Things Must Pass before convening with Clapton and others in Derek and the Dominos...

In June 1983, he killed his elderly mother with a hammer and butcher knife at her North Hollywood home. After his arrest, Gordon — who had told police that voices in his head ordered him to commit the crime — was diagnosed with schizophrenia. But because California’s then-evolving laws regarding insanity pleas, he was convicted of murder in July 1984 and sentenced to 16 years to life in state prison.

Gordon repeatedly was denied parole after failing to show up for his hearings and died in prison.

• Sad 6
12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As detailed of a description of gifted drummer Jim Gordon’s  progressive schizophrenia as can be written in layman’s terms:     
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/when-the-voices-took-over-52761/amp/ 

“Rest In Peace [in death]” is fitting, since there was no rest in in the orbit of his life.

😔

ETA:

"The proportion of violent crime in society attributable to schizophrenia consistently falls below 10%."
Cambridge U. Press 
cambridge.org/core/journals/the-british-journal-of-psychiatry/article/violence-and-schizophrenia-examining-the-evidence/BEC530F212F98C0400D3D32CB2710BA9

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1

NOOOOOOOO!!!!  I plan to see John Wick Chapter 4 when it comes out on March 24th, and now I might have to wait a bit before I go see it because I'll be too emotional.  Keanu Reeves was just on Fallon's last night, so I know he must be gutted.

• Sad 6
On 3/16/2023 at 7:42 PM, Blergh said:

What kind of parenting did this Hartley have to think that this was in any way justified or acceptable?!

To be fair, there are many good parents whose kids turn out assholes.  My ex-coworker and his wife are great people and they were involved parents (coached little league teams, etc.).  Their son thought it a good idea to rob a bank.  Sometimes spawn is going to do what it's going to do.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8

Reddick's passing really got me. I can't say I was actually familiar with him before a couple of years ago when I finally watched The Wire, but he was a standout in a cast full of standouts. And since then, I've enjoyed recognizing him in other things. The random five seconds he was in Godzilla vs. Kong was one of the only things I liked about that movie. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, AnyTimeFromNow said:

Lance Riddick has passed.

https://people.com/tv/lance-reddick-dead/

Man, this really bums me out. Lance always has such a great presence on screen ! I think I first saw him in Fringe- I just watched a season 1 episode last night, the channel HLN, for some odd reason is running the show- and he is great on that show. Then he was on Lost, although I wish he had had a much bigger role, as we never got to find out very much about his character. I wanted to know so much more, he was so mysterious, but they never fleshed out that story line. And then most recently he was in Angel Has Fallen and I love that movie regardless of the fact that it's really a far fetched, crazy action film.

60 is not that old in this day and age, I wonder what they will say is the cause ?

Godspeed, dude. Sorry you were taken so soon.

• Sad 19

RIP Lance Reddick.  I first saw him in The Wire like most people, I imagine. And was the reason I first checked out Fringe.

But I was flat out tickled with his comic performance in the Key and Peele 'Gay Wedding' sketch. I still think that is the only time I saw him do comedy, and he (and the sketch) are hysterical.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

But I was flat out tickled with his comic performance in the Key and Peele 'Gay Wedding' sketch. I still think that is the only time I saw him do comedy, and he (and the sketch) are hysterical.

Oh, yes!  After some thought, I recognized him as the cop in a terrific episode of The West Wing, "In Excelsis Deo", but didn't think I'd seen him in anything else.  But, yes, I saw that.  Looking up his credits, there's one more thing, and that's also comedy -- a sketch in an episode of Wanda Sykes's Herlarious.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Reddick's passing really got me. I can't say I was actually familiar with him before a couple of years ago when I finally watched The Wire, but he was a standout in a cast full of standouts. And since then, I've enjoyed recognizing him in other things. The random five seconds he was in Godzilla vs. Kong was one of the only things I liked about that movie. 

I also watched the Wire for the first time a couple years ago and that’s where I know him from. He was amazing. 

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I also watched the Wire for the first time a couple years ago and that’s where I know him from. He was amazing. 

He really was. He was one of my favorite characters on the show. And I loved the handful of moments where he got to be less than serious. 

• Like 7

I was first introduced to Lance on an episode of Law and Order where he played someone from I think it was The Congo who had killed someone regarding blood diamonds. Then of course there was The Wire. We havent been in a movie theater since 2019 but was planning on seeing John Wick on the 24th. Sad all around. Rest in Power.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Zella said:

He really was. He was one of my favorite characters on the show. And I loved the handful of moments where he got to be less than serious. 

Not a 'less than serious role', I had forgotten that he was in Oz

• Like 6
17 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I had never seen Key & Peele 'Gay Wedding', so thanks for bringing it up.  

R.I.P. Mr. Reddick.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

Lance is playing Zeus in the Percy Jackson series that hasn't even aired. They can't kill off that character. Seal came to mind when I thought about recasting. John Wick 4 comes out Friday, I think they're going to have to set up his death at the beginning of 5. Charon is too iconic to recast. They'll have four movies worth of outtakes to use showing something like him walking out of sight, *gunshots sound off camera*, gunman walks away from body with Lance Riddick's face CGI-ed over an extra like at the end of Rogue One

• Sad 1

Greek gods, especially Zeus, changed appearance a lot so recasting could be explained. I mean, he could be bull one week and a swan the next and a different looming human another.

• Like 4