Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

"Do You Know the Way to San Jose"

My husband knows very few songs by heart, this one and the theme song to Gilligan's Island.  These were the songs he would sing to our children at night as lullabies.  RIP Mr Bacharach and I am so glad you had a wonderful career and gve the world so many iconic songs and many happy memories.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

"Do You Know the Way to San Jose"

Just now, Elizabeth Anne said:

My husband knows very few songs by heart, this one and the theme song to Gilligan's Island.  These were the songs we would sing to our children at night as lullabies.  RIP Mr Bacharach for a wonderful career and many happy memories.

I used to sing "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" in the car when driving from Sacramento to San Jose. 
Perhaps your husband had a similar commute? 
Regardless, it's nice to share appreciation for artistry that served to lift and unite the spirits of the populace. 

The words and music of Bacharach's and Hal David's "What the World Needs Now Is Love" are perhaps even more true and relevant today than they were in 1965 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_World_Needs_Now_Is_Love).

Here's the NPR obituary: npr.org/2023/02/09/561555285/burt-bacharach-obituary

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Aw RIP Burt.  His songs were very distinguishable (I could a tell BB song when I heard it) but also very versatile.

My absolute favorite is a House is Not a Home -- Dionne's version is great but Luther Vandross' version is the definitive version from my generation.  And I must say Tamyra Gray's version from the first season of American Idol was really fantastic.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

My first thought when hearing the news was the Austin Powers “ladies and gentlemen Mr. Burt Bacharach!”  I think that movie introduced a lot of younguns to a legend.

and it’s raining today.  I see you Burt.

• Like 13
19 hours ago, DearEvette said:

My absolute favorite is a House is Not a Home -- Dionne's version is great but Luther Vandross' version is the definitive version from my generation.

Wow! I never knew Burt Bacharach and Hal David were responsible for A House is Not a Home or that Dionne Warwick sung it.  Now that Luther Vandross version - whew! 🔥🔥🔥

R.I.P. Mr. Bacharach. 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Wow! I never knew Burt Bacharach and Hal David were responsible for A House is Not a Home or that Dionne Warwick sung it.  Now that Luther Vandross version - whew! 🔥🔥🔥

R.I.P. Mr. Bacharach. 

Burt Bacharach was so prolific and his work was so often interpreted by different artists, that it's probably the norm for anyone to be surprised to discover this same person wrote one of our favorite songs as well as another. 💗

I love this quote:

He studied with renowned classical composer Darius Milhaud. It was Milhaud who encouraged Bacharach to follow the kind of music he felt compelled to write. "His observation was 'Never be ashamed of something that's melodic, that one could whistle,'" Bacharach said of his teacher. "And I thought, 'Wow.'"

Soon, Bacharach was writing melodies that millions of people could whistle. 
npr.org/2023/02/09/561555285/burt-bacharach-obituary

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 11
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Burt Bacharach was so prolific and his work was so often interpreted by different artists, that it's probably the norm for anyone to be surprised to discover this same person wrote one of our favorite songs as well as another. 💗

My mind was blown when I read that over 1,000 artists have recorded his music!

• Like 10
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2023 at 12:13 PM, shapeshifter said:

Here's one that would probably surprise some people, Arthur Lee and Love performing "My Little Red Book" on American Bandstand in the 1960s.

Another Burt Bacharach song.

RIP sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

Just catching up on some last-season ABC watching & it occurred to me:

Right now, mother, father and child are ALL lead characters on a Network TV show simultaneously. 

- Laurie Metcalf is playing Jackie on "The Conners". 

- Her daughter, Zoe Perry, is playing Mary on "Young Sheldon".

- Zoe's father & Laurie's ex husband, Jeff Perry, is playing Stanley on "Alaska Daily". 

I wonder if it's happened before?  

BTW, anybody looking for a really good drama should check out "Alaska Daily" on ABC.  

Kinda cool.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Useful 7

So Sad. RIP Trugoy.

The impact of 3 Feet High and Rising can not be overstated.  In the midst of Public Enemy's social rage and NWA's gangsta realness supremacy comes this trippy, happy, fun hip hop  with beats and samples that were  genre spanning. It was a perfect and necessary expanding of the genre.

I remember when it came out, we played the hell out of that CD!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It should be noted that her original name was Jo Raquel Tejada and she the daughter of  Bolivian aeroengineer of Spanish extraction named Armando Carlos Tejada y Urquizo and his US-American wife of English extraction Josephine Sarah Hall Tejada. Ms. Welch was named for her mother and paternal grandmother and would obtain her performing surname via her 1st husband (and father of her two children). She started her movie career after their separation in order to provide for her offspring. BTW, Ms. Welch auditioned for the role Mary Ann Summers in Gilligan's Island!

RIP, Ms. Welch.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 7
13 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Yes, I read all that about her on Wikipedia.

RIP, Ms. Welch.

IMO, that doesn't take away from her having had a somewhat unconventional background and early life.

• Like 2

Raquel was a hard working actress, who was way more talented than one would expect.  I like her westerns best, especially 100 Rifles and Hannie Caulder.  I've heard stories that she was difficult to work with, but I have to wonder if some of that was her insisting fair treatment which wasn't always appreciated at the time.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

While it's not an easy movie to find, if you ever get the chance to watch "The Last of Sheila " which stars Raquel along with a bunch of notable names like James Coburn, James Mason, and Dyan Cannon , it's a fun movie to watch. And Anthony Perkins co-wrote it. 

• Like 12
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, willco said:

While it's not an easy movie to find, if you ever get the chance to watch "The Last of Sheila " which stars Raquel along with a bunch of notable names like James Coburn, James Mason, and Dyan Cannon , it's a fun movie to watch. And Anthony Perkins co-wrote it. 

The Last of Sheila is a wonderful movie you can rent from Prime Video.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very sad news. RIP beautiful lady. I was aware of Raquel's age, but she still looked healthy and gorgeous, so I would have guessed she'd live closer to 90 or even 100. 

There are obviously many beautiful women in Hollywood, but the combination of natural, unique beauty and elegant sexiness of Raquel Welch is hard to find. It's why despite my age, I'm more inspired by women like her and Sophia Loren over the Kardashians and J. Lo.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It's why despite my age, I'm more inspired by women like her and Sophia Loren over the Kardashians and J. Lo.

Shhhh....don't mention SL in this thread.  I've been thinking abt her and her age lately,  so now I'm worried.   LOL

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, willco said:

TCM occasionally airs The Last of Sheila as well as my other Raquel Welch faves: The Three/Four Musketeers.  R.I.P. Ms. Welch. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

my other Raquel Welch faves: The Three/Four Musketeers.  R.I.P. Ms. Welch. 

I'd forgotten she was in those!  If anyone doubts she could act these would soon set them straight!  She was wonderful in both these movies.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Very sad news. RIP beautiful lady. I was aware of Raquel's age, but she still looked healthy and gorgeous, so I would have guessed she'd live closer to 90 or even 100. 

There are obviously many beautiful women in Hollywood, but the combination of natural, unique beauty and elegant sexiness of Raquel Welch is hard to find. It's why despite my age, I'm more inspired by women like her and Sophia Loren over the Kardashians and J. Lo.

The Kartrashians are the opposite of “inspiring,” imo. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 7

Ms Welch was in a fantastically campy soap back in the 90s that aired for a short time on CBS called Central Park West. Her character was an obvious knock of Alexis Carrington but you could tell she had a blast with it. One scene involved her and Lauren Hutton just beating the crap out of each other in the Four Seasons pool. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It isn’t surprising but that doesn’t make it any less horrible. It’s good that he’s got a strong support unit in his family at least.

It's great to see that they seem to have a truly blended family where Demi as the ex-wife is still part of things, especially now.

It's a horrible, horrible disease and I wish them nothing but the best. It is so hard to deal with as family to watch your loved one go through this. My dad described it as having to say goodbye twice(his mom had dementia), once when the mind starts to go and again when they pass away.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Like 4
  • Sad 8

That whole Raquel Welch episode of The Muppets is on Disney Plus. I watched it last night and loved every moment of it. I loved that Welch threw herself into the Muppet realm and was touched when even Fozzie Bear posted a tribute on Twitter to her.....

• Like 7
18 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

As per wiki, Ms. Stevens had been born Estelle Eggleston in Yazoo City, Mississippi but soon moved to Memphis where she met and married an electrician named Noble Stephens at age 16 and the two became parents to a son named Andrew when she was 17. The union ended a few years later and while studying in Memphis State University, Ms. Stevens did a theatrical version of the Marilyn Monroe movie Bus Stop which got her noticed and this would soon start her performing career. I can imagine that having borne Andrew at 17 and soon becoming his sole support, the two of them somewhat grew up together.

Anyway, she  used a nickname for her given name and  the easier to spell version of her onetime marital surname  as her performing name(as would Andrew).   Her career lasted until the 2000's and she eventually found lasting companionship with rocker Bob Kulick . Tragically, she developed Alzheimer's Disease which eventually resulted in the sale of her longtime Hollywood home in 2016 with Mr. Kulick and her son Andrew agreeing for her to go into an assisted living facility.  Despite this devastating development, she and Mr. Kulick evidently maintained their bond until the latter's death from heart disease at age 70 in 2020 (though I wonder how much or even if she was told of his passing and whether she  understood it). Regardless, it was left to her surviving son Andrew  to make the announcement of her death. She also is survived three grandchildren from Andrew and his own 2nd onetime spouse.

RIP, Ms. Stevens and END Alzheimer's!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

As per wiki, Ms. Stevens had been born Estelle Eggleston in Yazoo City, Mississippi but soon moved to Memphis where she met and married an electrician named Noble Stephens at age 16 and the two became parents to a son named Andrew when she was 17. The union ended a few years later and while studying in Memphis State University, Ms. Stevens did a theatrical version of the Marilyn Monroe movie Bus Stop which got her noticed and this would soon start her performing career. I can imagine that having borne Andrew at 17 and soon becoming his sole support, the two of them somewhat grew up together.

Anyway, she  used a nickname for her given name and  the easier to spell version of her onetime marital surname  as her performing name(as would Andrew).   Her career lasted until the 2000's and she eventually found lasting companionship with rocker Bob Kulick . Tragically, she developed Alzheimer's Disease which eventually resulted in the sale of her longtime Hollywood home in 2016 with Mr. Kulick and her son Andrew agreeing for her to go into an assisted living facility.  Despite this devastating development, she and Mr. Kulick evidently maintained their bond until the latter's death from heart disease at age 70 in 2020 (though I wonder how much or even if she was told of his passing and whether she  understood it). Regardless, it was left to her surviving son Andrew  to make the announcement of her death. She also is survived three grandchildren from Andrew and his own 2nd onetime spouse.

RIP, Ms. Stevens and END Alzheimer's!

Had a crush on Andrew when I was younger.  My condolences to him.

• Like 4