It's happened pretty often. 
* Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger when they were married
* Peter Cook and Dudley Moore in the 70's
* Joe Montana and Walter Payton
* Hulk Hogan and Mr. T
* Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito
* the Olsen Twins
* Roseanne and Tom Arnold

and....Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Chevy Chase hosted as a trio when Three Amigos came out!

• Like 1
  • Useful 10
  • Love 3

Cold Open: Mariah Carey saw her shadow, there's two more weeks until Christmas! Cecily, Kenan, and Bowen (and Sarah and Ego) singing about putting their anxieties aside for Christmas was a good premise for a cold open.

Monologue: It's been a while since we've had dual hosts, and man was this one worth waiting for. Reading each other's eulogies to each other was just gold. And they're here to show us how it's done. Steve Martin: 16 times. Martin Short: 4. And of course Selena Gomez shows up at the end. Now THIS was a monologue that would've justified lasting 15 minutes.

Science Room: It's another one of these sketches! Steve Martin & Martin Short were perfect for the hosts.

Please Don't Destroy: This was fun. Protect Sarah's Real Dad at all costs.

The Holiday Train: Don't know what was better: the terrible fourth wall breaks where we saw the audience during the song, or that everyone kept breaking. The reveal that Martin, Steve, and Cecily were all bears was funny.

Santa: Martin Short is a grouchy elf, the sketch just writes itself. The bit with Sprinkles having legs was clearly an adlib and I am here for it.

A Christmas Carol: Martin Short is a perfect Scrooge. Scrooge's coins impaling the boy (and everyone else) was the last thing I expected. It just kept going and getting bloodier, I loved it.

WU: Hershel Walker jokes have yet to get old. The World Cup joke was great, too.

Ego's character was great. I didn't get much out of Chloe's bit, though. It was a long setup for the Scarlett Johansson bit, and then it kept going! 

How To Treat Your Man: And now Martin Short as a 90s relationship expert. Loved his dancing, and the Arsenio Hall set, and everyone's 90s outfits.

Father of The Bride Part 8: This sketch made me realize that this was more Martin Short's episode than Steve Martin's. And they saved the cameo fest for last. Selena Gomez AND Kieran Culkin (who forgot he was in these movies!) I never saw these movies, Martin Short was really in it? Chloe's Diane Keaton was really good. (an icon of beige!)

I hate to say it, but overall, I thought last week's was better. Oh, there were some great sketches tonight, but Keke Palmer's episode was really good. The Christmas show is next week, and since the guitarist for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs has pneumonia, Lizzo will be the musical guest instead.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 14

I enjoyed this episode more than any other this season, but I grew up watching Steve and Marty, so it may have just been in my wheelhouse. Also, Brandi Carlisle is more my taste than most musical guests lately, so the show was a total win for me.

But maybe there are younger people out there thinking, “Who are these old dudes? Megan Thee Stallion was way better”.

• Like 4
  • Love 15

I thought it was a good but not great show. I don't know it had all the elements. I guess if I had one complaint it was that Steve was definitely taking a back seat to Marty.  Marty is fine but on a scale of 1 to 10, he usually runs about at 12.5 and he does exhaust me after awhile.

I thought the Cold Open started slow but got better as it went along. Loved the Please Don't Destroy video. Brilliant as always.

21 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I didn't get much out of Chloe's bit, though. It was a long setup for the Scarlett Johansson bit, and then it kept going! 

Yeah, and I thought her scar-jo was average at best.

21 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

and the Arsenio Hall set,

I'm so happy someone else caught this. I was all set for an Arsenio sketch, especially after they said it was someone from the 90s. So I was a little bummed about that.

Speaking of people from the 90s, no Kirstie Alley bumper? Seriously? She was a popular host back in her day. Bellissimo!!

All in all, I did like it. Wonderful to see Steve Martin back on the stage. And Brandi Carlile was lovely.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9

Good show.

I liked the Bear sketch. It's one of the first ones I remember having a really good twist at the end (although when they talked about sleeping all winter and Cecily growled the nuts were theirs while still a human, you could tell what the twist was, but that was very close to the end).

Cecily really is an MVP. Not only is she wonderful in every other way, but she really has a Broadway singing voice that can carry off songs like those in the opening or the Bear sketch. Bowen's  a good singer, too. Everybody else sings like normal people (but better than me).

• Like 4
  • Love 6

I really enjoyed The Santa/Elf sketch.  The fact that the Elf was named Pringles.  LOL.  

I liked Please Don't Destroy as well.

The Dickens sketch got so needlessly disgusting, I had to fast forward.

I laughed so hard at the Kyrie Irving Flat Earth joke, but I am not sure the audience got it with the way they reacted.

This Chloe Fineman sketch is so awkward, and honestly, disrespectful to the people she's imitating.  It feels like a person grabbing you by the shirt and saying "Remember me????"  And normally I like her.....  Making fun of Colin is awesome, but.....

The level of detail put into the 90s sketch.  Sarah Sherman had that dyed red Kool-aid hair colour that every woman had back then.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2

I thought this episode was a dud. Reading the comments on particular sketches, I'm realizing there were good moments, but overall I just find Martin Short exhausting and obnoxious and Steve Martin is basically the same asshole, just a little less broad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, vb68 said:

and the Arsenio Hall set,

Ha, I saw that as well!

My favorite was A Christmas Carol.  I laughed out loud, which is rare for me.  It reminded me of the Dead Poet's Society/ceiling fan sketch a few years ago. 

I was hoping for a WU sketch with Marty as Nathan Thurm, nervous lawyer.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Sarah Sherman is getting more exposure, and I think that’s great. 

I think she is so funny.  I was wondering if that was really her father in the Please Don't Destroy sketch.

LOL, watching the Father of the Bride sketch now lol.  This is inspired.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
On 12/8/2022 at 8:27 PM, peeayebee said:

Playing catchup here. I was confusing Brandi Carlile with Belinda Carlisle. 

Thank you.  I've been doing that for years and whenever I see Brandi, I think she looks so young for having been big when I was younger.  And now I know why (even though in the back of my brain I knew it must be two separate people but I couldn't think of the name of who the second person was). 

Anyway, it has been a long time since I rewatched a musical act and I definitely rewatched Brandi's first performance.  Not only was it terrific but I love that she did one of her bigger hits.

I loved the non-political cold open.  And when I say non-political, I mean not a skit involving impersonations of politicians.  Those rarely work for me. 

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I never saw these movies, Martin Short was really in it?

He was.

34 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really enjoyed The Santa/Elf sketch.  The fact that the Elf was named Pringles.  LOL.

At first, I thought it was a mistake somewhere when Martin Short said his name was Pringles and Steve's Santa corrected him that his name was Sprinkles.  But no, he was Pringles.  I loved that Short stood up. But I'm mostly impressed that Short could kneel that long because it would kill my knees. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I liked the Bear sketch. It's one of the first ones I remember having a really good twist at the end (although when they talked about sleeping all winter and Cecily growled the nuts were theirs while still a human, you could tell what the twist was, but that was very close to the end).

This was a beat-for-beat redux of a sketch from the Amy Adams Christmas episode ages ago.  Amy and Cecily and … I think Kate… were raccoons who turned into people but kept talking about wanting to eat garbage and sang a 40s-style song on a sleigh.  I thought the sketch would have been funnier if these people who were so excited about snow ended up suffering every indignity of Buffalo snow known to man (as someone originally from Erie, PA, I know these well).  Slip on the ice, get impaled by icicle, the inevitable heart attack that comes with shoveling snow (tm The Simpsons) … you know, the classics.

28 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This Chloe Fineman sketch is so awkward, and honestly, disrespectful to the people she's imitating.  It feels like a person grabbing you by the shirt and saying "Remember me????"  And normally I like her.....  Making fun of Colin is awesome, but.....

If anyone has a sense of humor, I’m sure it’s Colin Jost and Scarlett Johansson, and Colin was obviously was okay with with the bit, but honestly, “disrespectful” was the exact word that popped into my mind when Chloe was simulating sex as Scarlett right in front of Colin.  I just thought, “icky” instead of “funny.”

That monologue slayed.  I was genuinely giggling throughout.  Loved it.  And I loved Father of the Bride back in the day, so I really liked that sketch (and seeing Kieran!).  Brandi Carlisle was amazing.  I had a good time with this one, but I had to turn away from the Scrooge skit.  I cannot take that level of eye gore.  I think they were going for the vibe of that “Dead Poet’s Society” sketch from years ago.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I thought this episode was a dud. Reading the comments on particular sketches, I'm realizing there were good moments, but overall I just find Martin Short exhausting and obnoxious and Steve Martin is basically the same asshole, just a little less broad.

Agree, I didn’t laugh at all.

But I have to disagree with you about Martin Short, I love him.  Not his best performance tonight, but usually he cracks me up.

34 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I was hoping for a WU sketch with Marty as Nathan Thurm, nervous lawyer.

That would have been amazing.  “You think I’m being defensive you’re the one being defensive!”

I was disappointed it was Brandi Carlisle and not Belinda Carlisle.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

and since the guitarist for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs has pneumonia, Lizzo will be the musical guest instead.

I meant to thank you for this bit of info. I wondered what happened there. Also seems safe to say Lizzo has reached friend of the show status for her to come onboard with a moment's notice like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I am a long time fan of Martin and Short, so was looking forward to tonight’s show, but the writing let me down.  I was really disappointed.  Love the two of them, but the material didn’t do it for me.  They were much better on Fallon the other night.  I did like seeing them anyway, because they are just funny being themselves.  I thought Short’s crazy dancing in that one skit was funny.  And, I did enjoy the musical guest performances and Weekend Update.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, SHD said:

I enjoyed this episode more than any other this season, but I grew up watching Steve and Marty, so it may have just been in my wheelhouse. Also, Brandi Carlisle is more my taste than most musical guests lately, so the show was a total win for me.

But maybe there are younger people out there thinking, “Who are these old dudes? Megan Thee Stallion was way better”.

I think most of the viewers who wouldn't have heard of them probably aren't watching the show anyway. They have gotten another wind in the larger public eye thanks to their show with Selena Gomez.

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just started and it feels like Cecily's been in 10 sketches already.

I thought Cecily was better used than she was last week, where she seemed to be in almost everything, but I am at a point now where I've seen enough of Bowen, Kenan, Cecily that I just don't have much reaction anymore (it doesn't help that Kenan keeps breaking). I know it's not a charity show, but when even the cold open makes it clear who the main cast are going to be, I just end up wondering why so many others are lucky to even get on. 

3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

This was a beat-for-beat redux of a sketch from the Amy Adams Christmas episode ages ago.  Amy and Cecily and … I think Kate… were raccoons who turned into people but kept talking about wanting to eat garbage and sang a 40s-style song on a sleigh.  I thought the sketch would have been funnier if these people who were so excited about snow ended up suffering every indignity of Buffalo snow known to man (as someone originally from Erie, PA, I know these well).  Slip on the ice, get impaled by icicle, the inevitable heart attack that comes with shoveling snow (tm The Simpsons) … you know, the classics.

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Beyond the Amy sketch (which was presumably co-written by Kent Sublette, who also co-wrote this sketch), it was also an homage to the "Snow" number in White Christmas. I thought it was a nice idea, one I could have enjoyed more without the try-hard lyrics and all the flubs and struggles (which were a running theme last night, although with Steve and Martin I can give a pass - others in the episode, not so much).

Chloe - I was mostly confused about why this was around. She'd done most of the impressions before, a few years ago in some cases, and now they're back with this new character. Why not just try to play a new character? It made me wonder if she, or the show, felt her attempts earlier this season hadn't worked out. And it felt very long, especially compared to when Mikey did these Update pairings with Heidi or Leslie Jones.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I am a long time fan of Martin and Short, so was looking forward to tonight’s show, but the writing let me down.  I was really disappointed.  Love the two of them, but the material didn’t do it for me.  They were much better on Fallon the other night.  I did like seeing them anyway, because they are just funny being themselves.  I thought Short’s crazy dancing in that one skit was funny.  And, I did enjoy the musical guest performances and Weekend Update.  

I went into this episode with mixed feelings, because I don't think Steve Martin has ever fully mixed with SNL since the late '80s or early '90s. His last three hosting stints were either badly written, or just had him trying to force a "wacky" performance which wasn't there anymore. Some of his cameos had been better, some hadn't. I thought this episode did a decent job of using his strengths and not forcing him to be anything he no longer was, but this also meant he had to take more of a backseat to Martin (if they wrote a wider variety of comedy material, like they used to many years ago, that may have given him more to do). Martin's energy went a long way to carrying his sketches, but sometimes you could really tell there was nothing underneath (that talk show sketch, for instance, wasn't even written for Martin - it was originally written for Willem Dafoe).

I was surprised there weren't more cameos of past cast members or more of the old backstage moments (like the "Platinum Lounge"), but maybe they didn't want that. And NBC probably wouldn't want Alec Baldwin popping up either.

Compared to what I thought the episode might fall into, it was better than I had feared, and only really started to falter more with Update (even then the last sketch was fun - if clearly cut to pieces), but the episode had a sloppy feel, for some reason, and the writing and cast use struggles got in the way. 

This is one of those seasons where you can tell they are struggling to adapt to all the changes backstage, and more changes on the way, which I'm fine with, but more in the episodes where you can see them trying new things than in episodes which are both poorly put together and also feel like things I've seen a million times on the show, many of them better.

Writing credits:

Some observations from someone who went to the live show:

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Santa: Martin Short is a grouchy elf, the sketch just writes itself. The bit with Sprinkles having legs was clearly an adlib and I am here for it.

I don't think it was an ad-lib since he had those striped stockings on. 

9 hours ago, saoirse said:

I adore Steve Martin Short (yes I meant to combo them!) 

I'm shocked I never came up with that combo.

8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

This was a beat-for-beat redux of a sketch from the Amy Adams Christmas episode ages ago.  Amy and Cecily and … I think Kate… were raccoons who turned into people but kept talking about wanting to eat garbage and sang a 40s-style song on a sleigh.

I thought the bear angle sounded familiar, but I also seem to remember another story (separate from SNL) where people had taken the form of animals in order to eat people.

Anyway, I loved this episode. The monologue was perfect. I was laughing thruout.

I liked the CO as well, but sometimes I couldn't understand the lyrics.

I always like Science Room. Both Cecily and Mikey are great as kids, with Cecily being the best. 

I wasn't feeling the please don't destroy video at the beginning. It was clear that the woman the two guys were trashing had gotten back together with the other guy, but once everyone started popping up in the room, I liked it fine.

The Holiday Train was ok. 

Loved Santa and Sprinkles the Elf. Short was fantastic.

And I loved A Christmas Carol. First off, I can easily see Short playing Scrooge for real. It was interesting trying to figure out when the real text would become comedic, but I did not see that bloodiness coming. I thought it was hilarious. 

Good lines in WU. I thought Chloe and Mikey's bit went on too long, and except for Drew Barrymore, the impressions did not... impress me.

I never watched Arsenio, so I didn't pick up on the set similarities. I also missed that it was supposed to be from the 90's. I wondered why the women were dressed as they were.

Father of the Bride Part 8 was ok. I liked the premise of the daughter getting married over and over, but the sketch just became an excuse for cameos. 

I liked Brandi Carlisle. Beautiful voice.

So, all in all I thought this was one of the best eps of the season. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

I always love Steve Martin, but have never found Martin Short funny... not once,  including last night. And I have never once confused Brandy Carlisle with Brenda Carlisle. Brandi is a wonderful singer, but I wouldnt call the other one a singer, at all.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I never watched Arsenio, so I didn't pick up on the set similarities. I also missed that it was supposed to be from the 90's. I wondered why the women were dressed as they were.

I was half-asleep and didn't figure it out until the mention of a VCR was accepted as utterly normal.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I have to agree with whoever above said that the Sprinkles/Pringles thing was a flub/ad-lib. I think Martin Short misread the cue card and Steve Martin decided to try to have fun with it. It would be such an odd thing to write into the sketch intentionally.

Loved seeing some pseudo Ed Grimley/Jackie Rogers, Jr. dancing in that 90’s TV show sketch.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Loved this episode! They played really well to Martin Short’s energy with the Scrooge, elf, and ‘90s talk show sketches. And Steve is a great sardonic straight man.

Cecily’s singing voice is gorgeous. She perfectly hit that ‘40s vibe in the train sketch. 

The Please Don’t Destroy sketch was perfectly them! If someone wanted to know, what’s PDD? Just show them this one.

WU was lit.

I love Brandi Carlile! Such a treat.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, SHD said:

I have to agree with whoever above said that the Sprinkles/Pringles thing was a flub/ad-lib.

I also thought Martin Short was having trouble with the knee pads. At least it looked that way to me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I have to agree with whoever above said that the Sprinkles/Pringles thing was a flub/ad-lib. I think Martin Short misread the cue card and Steve Martin decided to try to have fun with it. It would be such an odd thing to write into the sketch intentionally.

I think the mistake was on Steve Martin or something was changed from dress to live show and got lost in execution.  Because Steve Martin said something like "isn't that right Sprinkles the Elf?" and Marty replied "blah blah or my name isn't Pringles the elf."  Steve Martin then said "Is it Sprinkles or Pringles" and that's when Martin changed his name to Sprinkles to go along with Steve.

But the overlay at the end said "Merry Christmas from Santa & Pringles" so Pringles was right.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4

Cold open was not great for this viewer. It came across to me like something they had to put together at the last minute.

Sixteen times. Wow. It probably doesn't really seem like the same show from the first time he hosted. So much has changed.

Sarah Sherman's dad FTW. I wonder if he's also a performer?

That snow sketch was the result of someone's coke-fueled fever dream, right?

Sprinkles has legs!

They must really like Brandi Carlile. I immediately remembered when she was the musical guest earlier this year, mainly from the two side guitarists who looked like twins.

WU was not great either, IMO. Trying way too hard and a lot of strained laughter by the performers.

Well, I did think it was cute to see Kieran Culkin and Selena Gomez pop in that last sketch.

I was confusing Brandi Carlile with Belinda Carlisle.          

I knew she was too young to be Belinda but I googled her to see if they were related. The different spelling of Brandi's last name went right by me obv.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, peeayebee said:

Playing catchup here. I was confusing Brandi Carlile with Belinda Carlisle. 

🤣 The whole time I thought it was Belinda Carlisle! Now I have to look up this other person! I liked  the first song not so much the second one. 

I loved the cold open and the monologue (not that it was really a monologue with two people talking, but you know what I mean).

IMO, the cold open did a great job capturing the craziness of this time in history, and the way that people try desperately to ignore it. (My one critique is that they've gone down this road a lot lately - like the game show sketch where people try to avoid going berserk when hearing about the news.)

And I found every single gag in the monologue to be pretty funny, which is a huge departure from how I usually feel about SNL monologues.

• Love 2

Martin Short is not someone I can hate, he’s too likable for that, but he always goes so over the top. I love Steve Martin, and there really wasn’t enough of him. 
Brandi Carlisle seems like Bonnie Raitt, the sequel.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the mistake was on Steve Martin or something was changed from dress to live show and got lost in execution.  Because Steve Martin said something like "isn't that right Sprinkles the Elf?" and Marty replied "blah blah or my name isn't Pringles the elf."  Steve Martin then said "Is it Sprinkles or Pringles" and that's when Martin changed his name to Sprinkles to go along with Steve.

But the overlay at the end said "Merry Christmas from Santa & Pringles" so Pringles was right.

I didn’t notice the overlay at the end! Great catch - I bet you’re right! 

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

They must really like Brandi Carlile. I immediately remembered when she was the musical guest earlier this year, mainly from the two side guitarists who looked like twins

They are twins.  And they and their families live on a large spread with Brandi and her wife and kids. It's a family affair.  

And, they're a really good band. 

As for the show, it was...fine.  I laughed some.  I enjoyed the open and WU (except for the Chloe segment) and love Brandi.  The rest was okay.  I was hoping it would be better.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Martin Short is not someone I can hate, he’s too likable for that, but he always goes so over the top. I love Steve Martin, and there really wasn’t enough of him. 

Well said. That's exactly how I felt.

7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I went into this episode with mixed feelings, because I don't think Steve Martin has ever fully mixed with SNL since the late '80s or early '90s. His last three hosting stints were either badly written, or just had him trying to force a "wacky" performance which wasn't there anymore. Some of his cameos had been better, some hadn't.

Yeah, I guess.  I know he's aged like all of us, but seeing him host again just feels so good. He's linked to the show as much as the early cast members and he just belongs there.

• Love 6

Last season Pete Davidson falling alphabetically between Michael Che and Mikey Day broke up the rhyming effect. This season every time the cast opening credits start I expect them to continue with e.g. Mike Fay, Michelle Gay, Mickey Hay etc. 

My favourite part of the PDD bit was Martin Short's threat to tattle to Michael Che and of course Che's ABC.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

... I thought the sketch would have been funnier if these people who were so excited about snow ended up suffering every indignity of Buffalo snow known to man (as someone originally from Erie, PA, I know these well).  Slip on the ice, get impaled by icicle, the inevitable heart attack that comes with shoveling snow (tm The Simpsons) … you know, the classics...

Hello from Erie, PA!

Overall, I was disappointed with this episode. I really expected more with those two. Does anyone know if they were involved with the writing at all this week? There were a few amusing things but honestly it would probably be funnier to just watch the two of them interact with one another for an hour. Brandi was probably the highlight. I actually listened to both songs and I never do that.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

How To Treat Your Man: And now Martin Short as a 90s relationship expert. Loved his dancing, and the Arsenio Hall set, and everyone's 90s outfits.

According to someone on Reddit who had been to a dress rehearsal, this was originally written for (and cut from) the Willem Defoe episode. 

Imagine Willem Dafoe dancing around like that. It had to be Martin Short, it didn't work without him.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BookThief said:

Brandi was probably the highlight. I actually listened to both songs and I never do that.

I just can't with Martin Short, have never found him funny and he's getting more annoying as the years pass, so I didn't have any hopes of liking this episode. I tried a few sketches at the start of the show, but gave up. I fast forwarded to Brandi's first song, WU, Brandi's second song and The Father of the Bride sketch (and barely made it thru that one). 

• Like 1