Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E01: Miles Teller / Kendrick Lamar

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, kirinan said:

Where’s Cecily in the credits? Did I miss an announcement?

21 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

I was just coming to ask that.  It just occurred to me she wasn't there.

There hasn’t been any official announcement, but she is doing a show—maybe they’ve decided to only announce cast who are actually in the episode this season? Just speculation at this point.

• Love 3

I’m in for Kendrick, but I’ve never read a single positive word on MT, and I’ve never seen him in anything, sooo.  But halfway in, it’s been good, including the host.  Kendrick just finished, and was as good as expected, of course.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

Wow, I called it with Michael Longfellow.  When they announced the new cast members I checked them out and thought he'd do well in WU bits, but I didn't think he'd be there on the premiere!  Nice job!

Does anyone else think it's strange that James Austin Johnson didn't get promoted with almost everyone else, considering how much he contributed last season?

• Like 4
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

Wow, I called it with Michael Longfellow.  When they announced the new cast members I checked them out and thought he'd do well in WU bits, but I didn't think he'd be there on the premiere!  Nice job!

Does anyone else think it's strange that James Austin Johnson didn't get promoted with almost everyone else, considering how much he contributed last season?

Longfellow was really funny in his WU bit, as was WU in general. I liked both the cold open and the monologue and thought the cold open was pretty funny

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

New guy is cute.

He was giving off some Hader energy on WU. I'm impressed with his confidence and timing.

I feel the same about Miles, too obviously.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

I noticed that too. Just him and Sarah Sherman didn’t move up.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

Don't they have to be a featured player at least two seasons before they move up?  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 1
  • Love 8

And we're back!

Cold Open: Lol, Peyton & Eli Manning commenting on yet another Trump sketch. Honestly genius. I loved this. "Heidi never lets me down! ...and she let me down!" Loved Sarah just peeking in through the windows, and how they managed to shoehorn the new people. Devon Walker as the Corn Kid and everyone complaining about that had me laughing. "It's a rebuilding year" indeed. I completely forgot Alex left, Don Jr. isn't the same without AND I'M ERIC.

Interesting font choice for the new logo, show.

Monologue: Miles DID do a scary accurate Peyton Manning in that cold open. It really does set a bar for the episode. Those home movies with the Spartan Cheerleaders was honestly incredible.

Send Something Normal: YES! A game show making fun of the Adam Levine thing! A famous celebrity (Adam Levine, Armie Hammer, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Bowen Yang playing himself) has to respond something normal to a woman's DM and win $100 million. Yeah, Neil deGrasse Tyson has gotten in hot water with sexual harassment, too.

Bank Robbers: Okay, what the hell is BeReal? Is that a real thing? Fun sketch, though,

Charmin Bears: Okay, HERE'S sponsored content I recognize. Someone pitched Kenan being a Charmin Bear and they ran with it from there. Like, Miles Teller and Bowen Yang wanting to dance instead of going to Doo Doo College. This was one of the dumbest things I've seen from the show in a while. But a good dumb.

Finance Bros: Oh no, it's me trying to flirt. 

AMC: Oh no, a spoof of THIS commercial! Chloe was perfect for this. And putting Kenan in it is always a recipe for comedy gold. 

WU: Someone in that writer's room has it out for Kamala Harris. And JAJ is the new Mitch McConnell, I miss Beck's Turtle Mitch but man JAJ just nailed his look. Hershel Walker was portrayed as TOO smart and silly. Michael Longfellow gave me Young Michael J Fox vibes. How did I know that Bowen was gonna be the Spotted Lanternfly the moment Che started talking about them? His segment was pretty silly.

"We're now counting Italians as WHITE?!" Che had to have written that one.

McDonaldland: I wasn't expecting Miles Teller as Jacked, Bisexual Grimace, it was so horrifying and hilarious.

Caribbean Queens: Ego and Heidi get to shine in this sketch because Cecily is off doing her one woman show. Silly, and I can see this recurring. Kenan with his wig made him look like he did in his Kenan & Kel days, looking like he didn't age a damn day in 25 years.

Well, that was a fun premiere! I don't know if I'll be here next week, since that's NY Comic Con and will most likely be tired. But I say that every year and yet I still show up. We'll see!

• Like 2
  • Love 11

Cold open was fabulous.  The monologue was also wonderful - Miles Teller really does look like Peyton Manning AND Rachel Maddow!!  And WU was great.  The rest - eh.  Wasn't really feeling most of it. 

But, that makes it all very familiar... and it's good to see (read) everyone again!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He was giving off some Hader energy on WU. I'm impressed with his confidence and timing.

I feel the same about Miles, too obviously.

On WU, New Guy reminded me of Alex P Keaton.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the show. It was much better than I was expecting/fearing.

Peyton and Eli at the beginning reminded me of Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show.

Charmin bears was a really fun idea. I was laughing all the way through that.

Kenan and Bowen especially were on fire tonight. They were both fantastic on Update.

It's still hard to believe Kate and Aidy are gone. That's gonna take awhile to really sink in.

Miles was fine (especially as straight man) but really, why wasn't Jon Hamm hosting again? 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I thought that that was a fantastic episode.  That was really up my alley.  I already love Miles Teller, especially because of Top Gun: Maverick, but I thought that he did a fantastic job, especially with the cold open and monologue (but some other sketches too, like BeReal and the Finance Bros.)  He was a better host than most.

There were so many parts that I thought were hysterical or so good that I had to keep rewinding

- Miles in the "Be Real" sketch
- Bowen as the Lantern Fly OBVIOUSLY.  I mean, the character work and the little flourishes and expressions he did Good God!  He was like a reality show contestant or somebody who would be on Jerry Springer.  
- Kenan as Neil deGrasse Tyson (I'm laughing just thinking about it.  When he saw the sexy vacation pic and said "Mmmmmm.  Calculating......." LOL)
- Michael Longfellow

The only sketch I fast forwarded through was the Charmin Bears - I'm sorry, I hate toilet humour and I just couldn't BEAR to CARE - and I would say Caribbean Queens was pretty weak.  But other than that I was really happy.  Great episode for me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

Where’s Cecily in the credits? Did I miss an announcement?

Cecily Will Not Be On The First Three Shows ! Cecily Is Doing Her One Woman Show OFF Broadway ! I DID Think Cecily Would Be In The Opening Credits And Then NOT Be On The Show Tonight ! 

Wow. I hated this. There were a few good things, but overall I hated it.

I know nothing about Miles Teller, but I took an instant visceral aversion to him. He didn't really do anything wrong, and I can't justify my reaction. But it made the show hard to tolerate. Also, a lot of men seem to joke about looking like Maddow. It annoys me. 

WU was funny. 

I felt like all they did all night was reference brands I don't care about. McD, AMC, Charmin. I realize it wasn't all flattering but I still didn't care about any of it.

The bar guys and Caribbean Queens felt like a joke we've seen 10,000 times already.

I'm neutral on the bank robbery/app sketch. 

I realize men who can't seem to figure out how to not be disgusting around women is a thing, but I'm tired of laughing about it, so the quiz didn't hit with me, but I get that I might be cranky on this subject.

As far as the cold open is concerned, I want them to fix the show, not laugh about how bad it is. 

I thought I was in a good mood! I hope the rest of the season won't be as annoying to me as this installment. I think the new cast has potential but they need to stop doing the same jokes and impressions and let the new life bring new jokes along with it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Peyton and Eli at the beginning reminded me of Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show.

Yes!! That’s exactly what I was coming here to post.  Miles had Peyton down cold.  And I really liked that they did something different with the cold open than a straight up political sketch.  Very creative and funny.  Jon Hamm’s line about special guests being brought in to deflect from an inexperienced host was clever.

I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the show.  Monologue was charming; Miles was killer in the game show sketch (although I felt the writing fell off by the time they got to Bowen); Longfellow’s WU bit was ultra-relatable to me; Kendrick was awesome.

”It is what it is.” 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, LADreamr said:

Yeah, I Thought That Was Very Strange ! I Was Shocked That He Was STILL A Featured Player ! Do They Think He Can Only Do Donald Trump ? He Plays Joe Biden And He Was In Several Sketches ! ! ! 

9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And we're back!

Cold Open: Lol, Peyton & Eli Manning commenting on yet another Trump sketch. Honestly genius. I loved this. "Heidi never lets me down! ...and she let me down!" Loved Sarah just peeking in through the windows, and how they managed to shoehorn the new people. Devon Walker as the Corn Kid and everyone complaining about that had me laughing. "It's a rebuilding year" indeed. I completely forgot Alex left, Don Jr. isn't the same without AND I'M ERIC.

Interesting font choice for the new logo, show.

Monologue: Miles DID do a scary accurate Peyton Manning in that cold open. It really does set a bar for the episode. Those home movies with the Spartan Cheerleaders was honestly incredible.

Send Something Normal: YES! A game show making fun of the Adam Levine thing! A famous celebrity (Adam Levine, Armie Hammer, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Bowen Yang playing himself) has to respond something normal to a woman's DM and win $100 million. Yeah, Neil deGrasse Tyson has gotten in hot water with sexual harassment, too.

Bank Robbers: Okay, what the hell is BeReal? Is that a real thing? Fun sketch, though,

Charmin Bears: Okay, HERE'S sponsored content I recognize. Someone pitched Kenan being a Charmin Bear and they ran with it from there. Like, Miles Teller and Bowen Yang wanting to dance instead of going to Doo Doo College. This was one of the dumbest things I've seen from the show in a while. But a good dumb.

Finance Bros: Oh no, it's me trying to flirt. 

AMC: Oh no, a spoof of THIS commercial! Chloe was perfect for this. And putting Kenan in it is always a recipe for comedy gold. 

WU: Someone in that writer's room has it out for Kamala Harris. And JAJ is the new Mitch McConnell, I miss Beck's Turtle Mitch but man JAJ just nailed his look. Hershel Walker was portrayed as TOO smart and silly. Michael Longfellow gave me Young Michael J Fox vibes. How did I know that Bowen was gonna be the Spotted Lanternfly the moment Che started talking about them? His segment was pretty silly.

"We're now counting Italians as WHITE?!" Che had to have written that one.

McDonaldland: I wasn't expecting Miles Teller as Jacked, Bisexual Grimace, it was so horrifying and hilarious.

Caribbean Queens: Ego and Heidi get to shine in this sketch because Cecily is off doing her one woman show. Silly, and I can see this recurring. Kenan with his wig made him look like he did in his Kenan & Kel days, looking like he didn't age a damn day in 25 years.

Well, that was a fun premiere! I don't know if I'll be here next week, since that's NY Comic Con and will most likely be tired. But I say that every year and yet I still show up. We'll see!

Well Galileo, I Sure Hope That You Will Be Here Next Week ! I Don't Like When You Are Not On This Message Board ! I Always Want Your Write Up OF Saturday Night Live And What You Think About The Show ! ! 

9 hours ago, saoirse said:

Not the worst episode ever, had some good moments. Glad to see the show back.

Please Don't Ban Me, But ,I Wish People Like You Would Not Say Not The Worst Episode ! Please Say IT Was A Pretty Good Show ! Many Saturday Night Live Shows Are Much Worse ! I Thought This Might End Up Being Possibly The Best Show OF This Season ! 

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Wow. I hated this. There were a few good things, but overall I hated it.

I know nothing about Miles Teller, but I took an instant visceral aversion to him. He didn't really do anything wrong, and I can't justify my reaction. But it made the show hard to tolerate. Also, a lot of men seem to joke about looking like Maddow. It annoys me. 

WU was funny. 

I felt like all they did all night was reference brands I don't care about. McD, AMC, Charmin. I realize it wasn't all flattering but I still didn't care about any of it.

The bar guys and Caribbean Queens felt like a joke we've seen 10,000 times already.

I'm neutral on the bank robbery/app sketch. 

I realize men who can't seem to figure out how to not be disgusting around women is a thing, but I'm tired of laughing about it, so the quiz didn't hit with me, but I get that I might be cranky on this subject.

As far as the cold open is concerned, I want them to fix the show, not laugh about how bad it is. 

I thought I was in a good mood! I hope the rest of the season won't be as annoying to me as this installment. I think the new cast has potential but they need to stop doing the same jokes and impressions and let the new life bring new jokes along with it.

Possibilities, Men Upset With Women Is In The News Mainly Because OF Abortion ! That Is Why They Have So Many Jokes About This ! They Have On Facebook About Women Being Witches And This Is The Conservatives And Very Religious People Are Against Women ! They Even Have Other Moslem Countries And The Women Are Speaking Up Against What They Have To Do With Their Appearance And Other Things ! ! The New Cast Members Are Not The Problem ! The Writers Are The Problem ! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I Don't Know The Host Either, But, That Does Not Mean The Rest OF The Show Will Not Be Good ! Just Watch The Show And See How The Show Is ! Okay, You Did Not Like The Show And I Did  Like The Show ! !  

If it hasn't been answered yet, the reason Cecily wasn't in the opening credits is because she wasn't available to shoot anything for them since she's in Los Angeles doing the play (I suppose that is off-Broadway, but the actual off-Broadway production was earlier this year). Presumably they'll shoot her new credit shots when she returns to New York and rejoins the show.

https://tvline.com/2022/10/01/snl-why-cecily-strong-missing-opening-credits-season-48-premiere/

• Useful 2

I was really disappointed. I only laughed a couple of times, mostly with Bowen. It was missing something, of course, but something else, can’t say what. And why two sketches with bizarre costumes? 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I’m surprised to see multiple posters saying how much they dislike Miles Teller in general (not just on this SNL episode). I also feel the same, for no good reason. 

That said, I thought he was pretty committed to everything and seemed to be giving 100%. And I loved how thrilled he was to be there and seeing the childhood clip of him with his sister doing the Spartans sketch.

I love SNL impressions, but man, that Adam Levine needed some work. 

I wonder if the Please Don’t Destroy guys will be back this year.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

This left a bad taste in my mouth almost immediately, due to choices like "joking" about how poorly used new cast members are (SNL loves to "joke" about this use while continuing to do nothing to change it), and "joking" about how they can no longer do various impressions because Kate McKinnon left. This conditions viewers to have more negative thoughts about those who are still on the show (no wonder I thought JAJ's appearances in the rest of the episode seemed somewhat flat  - imagine being in a sketch where you are reminded you can't compare to another cast member who isn't even on SNL anymore). What bugged me most was we got all those jokes - so very many - about people's criticisms of SNL without doing anything to address the criticisms. Why even bring it up? Just to feel clever? By pointing out how tired and familiar so much of the show is, that means when the rest of the show unfolded, it was difficult not to just focus on how tired and familiar everything was (a game show sketch. a Mikey reacts  pre-tape, another wacky Mikey sketch after that...). Talk about self-defeating. 

Other than that Charmin sketch, I thought everything until Update was fine, if not standout, but they overshadowed everything by having a cold open pointing out all the holes in the show they aren't  even trying to repair. 

I saw that Colin and Che are no longer listed as headwriters, which could be a positive step  forward if the remaining headwriters were better than they are. Hopefully we will get  more writing changes soon as I think they're very much needed.

I couldn't help feeling like unless you were Bowen, Kenan, or Mikey, and maybe Heidi or Chloe, you weren't getting a whole lot in that episode. 

I know better than to expect anything from a season premiere, but this didn't make me look forward to the rest of the year, which is, ideally, what these should be. I guess we'll see what happens next week.

5 minutes ago, SHD said:

I wonder if the Please Don’t Destroy guys will be back this year.

They co-wrote two pieces (BeReal and the game show), they just weren't oncamera.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'll join you at the cranky table. I'm pretty much over people making light of women (or men--anyone, really) getting harassed in DMs and other social media platforms. Is it funnier when it's a well-known celebrity doing the harassing? No. No it is not.

Overall, I thought the show was meh. WU was good. I really loved that MT brought SNL re-enactment home videos with him because somewhere in this world there are very similar home videos of me and my sister and friends around that same age re-enacting SNL sketches (as well as the Stuart sketches from MadTV). 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

About half of this show felt like product placement‐- BeReal and AMC especially. They're supposed to be spoofs but I can't help feeling that money changed hands. I don't think McD's would like the Grimace sketch, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2