Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E01: Miles Teller / Kendrick Lamar

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Sherman, I understand...but Johnson was one if the best last season

Last season was their first. Dismukes and Johnson had been on the show for 2 years. Bowen Yang broke out pretty quickly and he was still a featured player for 2 years.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

I couldn't help feeling like unless you were Bowen, Kenan, or Mikey

Yeah my feeling from the episode was that those three are leading the cast now. At least one of them (and more often two of them) was in everything.  And I noticed and thought again that even if I'm the only one I always preferred Alex Moffat to Mikey Day. I always scratched my head that people confused them. There was no comparison in my opinion. everything Mikey does seems very obvious and is always pulling at the same thread. Alex had much more depth and could go unexpected places. And OOF on Mikey's Adam Levine impression.

Speaking of...

1 hour ago, Night Cheese said:

I'll join you at the cranky table. I'm pretty much over people making light of women (or men--anyone, really) getting harassed in DMs and other social media platforms. Is it funnier when it's a well-known celebrity doing the harassing? No. No it is not.

Yeah the whole point of it was to take the shots at Levine. They just forgot to get an impression that was decent.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Last season was their first. Dismukes and Brewster had been on the show for 2 years. Bowen Yang broke out pretty quickly and he was still a featured player for 2 years.

I'm sorry, did you just inadvertantly refer to Punkie Johnson as Punky Brewster? 🤣 Congrats, that's ten times funnier than anything we saw on the show!

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

About half of this show felt like product placement‐- BeReal and AMC especially. They're supposed to be spoofs but I can't help feeling that money changed hands. I don't think McD's would like the Grimace sketch, though.

Charmin also

44 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Sherman had a huge impact for me last year so I was surprised also.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Kenan is making Herschel Walker waaaaaaaaaaay too articulate. 

I was thinking the same. I enjoyed Kenan doing Herschel, but he should have been way more ridiculous, ignorant, and, yes, inarticulate.

I didn't have an opinion of Miles Teller before the show -- I thought he was very good in Whiplash. I'm not sure what else I've seen him in -- but I thought he did really well and was funny. 

I wasn't thrilled by the CO, except for marveling at how much Miles looked like Peyton Manning.

Say Something Normal was ok. I thought Mikey did a good Adam Levine impression, but from comments here, I guess I have to say I haven't really seen much of him other than singing. So what do I know?

The bank robbery sketch was another ok one. I hadn't heard of BeReal, but it looks like a real thing to me. I'm not interested enuf to google it.

I was somewhat amused by the Charmin Bears sketch, except for a couple of the toilet humor lines. What was it Heidi said about being bears? They eat honey and ... push it out? Whatever that last part was, I didn't like it. I also figured that the writers wouldn't know how to end the sketch. And they didn't.

I enjoyed Mikey's performance in the bar sketch. 

I hadn't seen the AMC commercial before, and it took me a while to figure out who Chloe was doing an impression of. There really wasn't much to this sketch.

WU had some good jokes. As good as JAJ is at impressions, I don't think he can ever match Beck's Mitch McConnell.

I thought King Charles' new emblem -- CR -- looked like the one from the Colbert Report.

I didn't particularly like Michael Longfellow's appearance on WU. Maybe he was nervous and will get better. 

Bowen's spotted lantern fly was a lot of fun.

Several times during the show I was very impressed with the SNL wardrobe dept and their costume makers.

Didn't much care for the McDonald's new commercial ad. Again, I thought the Grimace new body costume was great. And I hardly recognized Miles. In fact, I was somewhat distracted trying to figure out who he reminded me of. Louis CK? Rip from Yellowstone

In Caribbean Queens, why were Kenan and Miles so sweaty?

I'll need to check out the lyrics to Kendrick's songs because I couldn't understand much of what he said. 

During his first song, every time there was a closeup of him, I couldn't stop staring at his necklace. And then in the second performance, he was wearing what at first looked like an LA Dodgers hat. Can someone explain what the lettering -- pg LA ng -- meant? 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I already miss Moffat and Redd so much. 

"Apparently Sarah Sherman is peeking into the sketch." That and Yang's sassy lantern fly were highlights. The rest was a nice bowl of lukewarm meh. Whoever mentioned doing Stuart impressions upthread....darn you for making me nostalgic for MadTV and In Living Color! "Look what I can do!" 

I also thought the cold open was both a bad idea and, except for the Manning impression, was also not funny at all. Yeah, the show's gonna suck without endless, tired Kate McKinnon impressions. Ha ha ha ha! 

Lots of potential and talent in this cast....hope it doesn't go to waste. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I'm sorry, did you just inadvertantly refer to Punkie Johnson as Punky Brewster?

I have to guard against that all the time! It's a good thing I never have to introduce her on Update or anything.

• Love 1

The best parts of this episode for me were JAJ's McConnell and Armie Hammer, Bowen Yang as the Spotted Lanternfly, and Kenan's Neil deGrasse Tyson. I did wonder where Cecily Strong was, good to know she'll be back to the show eventually!

4 hours ago, Ottis said:

Not bad. Devon Walker’s presence/energy reminded me a lot of Pete Davidson. Is it his facial expressions? Anyway, overall decent given all the changes.

I thought the same thing! I couldn't help thinking they looked similar in the face, especially when he was smiling.

• Love 2

Not a bad season opener.  Cold open and WU were good.

Not a Bowen Yang fan, and this episode did not change my opinion much.  We get it.

Kendrick is supposed to be one of the best, but nothing he did impressed me, other than not rapping over his own track.

40 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The best parts of this episode for me were JAJ's McConnell

I thought he had a difficult time with it mainly because Beck had that impression nailed.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

AMC: Oh no, a spoof of THIS commercial! Chloe was perfect for this. And putting Kenan in it is always a recipe for comedy gold. 

WU: Someone in that writer's room has it out for Kamala Harris. And JAJ is the new Mitch McConnell, I miss Beck's Turtle Mitch but man JAJ just nailed his look. Hershel Walker was portrayed as TOO smart and silly. Michael Longfellow gave me Young Michael J Fox vibes. How did I know that Bowen was gonna be the Spotted Lanternfly the moment Che started talking about them? His segment was pretty silly.

"We're now counting Italians as WHITE?!" Che had to have written that one.

McDonaldland: I wasn't expecting Miles Teller as Jacked, Bisexual Grimace, it was so horrifying and hilarious.

Caribbean Queens: Ego and Heidi get to shine in this sketch because Cecily is off doing her one woman show. Silly, and I can see this recurring. Kenan with his wig made him look like he did in his Kenan & Kel days, looking like he didn't age a damn day in 25 years.

Well, that was a fun premiere! I don't know if I'll be here next week, since that's NY Comic Con and will most likely be tired. But I say that every year and yet I still show up. We'll see!

I had never seen the original commercial of AMC they were parodying.  Chloe was so good - I knew immediately she was imitating Nicole Kidman.  Bravo!!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The best parts of this episode for me were JAJ's McConnell and Armie Hammer, Bowen Yang as the Spotted Lanternfly, and Kenan's Neil deGrasse Tyson. I did wonder where Cecily Strong was, good to know she'll be back to the show eventually!

I feel like Bowen has cornered the market on righteously indignant, extremely well-costumed, non-human characters.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I liked it. I thought i was going to miss Redd but I didn’t miss any of the cast members. I thought the updated cast functioned just fine. 

of the newbies there’s always one that disappears almost immediately and then isn’t asked back for another season, I wonder who it will be this year.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I liked it. I thought i was going to miss Redd but I didn’t miss any of the cast members. I thought the updated cast functioned just fine. 

of the newbies there’s always one that disappears almost immediately and then isn’t asked back for another season, I wonder who it will be this year.

Molly, for sure.

7 hours ago, cdnalor said:

About half of this show felt like product placement‐- BeReal and AMC especially. They're supposed to be spoofs but I can't help feeling that money changed hands. I don't think McD's would like the Grimace sketch, though.

The thing with AMC is everyone has spoofed that commercial, months before SNL did. Would AMC need the attention that badly to pay for a commercial  on SNL long after the time of impact? 

SNL generally just likes to hop onto trends, particularly expired trends. 

I might be able to see it more with BeReal as they were also using BeReal at the cast and host readthrough, but that also seems to be a very popular product. I'm not sure they'd need SNL too.

One of the writers said a few years ago that they just like to use real names of products. That may not always be true, but considering the disastrous Safelite ad (which was definitely not sponsored as Safelite contacted them in anger and they had to remove the ad from repeats and Youtube), I think it is more often than not.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

Yeah my feeling from the episode was that those three are leading the cast now. At least one of them (and more often two of them) was in everything.  And I noticed and thought again that even if I'm the only one I always preferred Alex Moffat to Mikey Day. I always scratched my head that people confused them. There was no comparison in my opinion. everything Mikey does seems very obvious and is always pulling at the same thread. Alex had much more depth and could go unexpected places. And OOF on Mikey's Adam Levine impression.

Speaking of...

Yeah the whole point of it was to take the shots at Levine. They just forgot to get an impression that was decent.

I never understood that either. I think people just got them mixed up because they both played Trump brothers, or because they were white guys around the same age range. 

I generally prefer Mikey being crazy and loud, like last night, to all the Mikey Reacts, but I also think too much of that will be a mistake. I hope some of the other cast who had thankless roles, like Andrew, get more to do.

I don't care as much about accurate impressions (Chloe bores me to tears - sorry to any fans), as much as it's all just sort of been there, done that with jokes about his cheating. I can see why they just went for the basic laughs, but I thought the part with Bowen was the main laugh-getter.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I feel like Bowen has cornered the market on righteously indignant, extremely well-costumed, non-human characters.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

The iceberg will never be surpassed.

Although now that I think about it, Andy Samberg as the goose who was hit by Captain Sully’s plane is probably also in the running. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, Ottis said:

Not bad. Devon Walker’s presence/energy reminded me a lot of Pete Davidson. Is it his facial expressions? Anyway, overall decent given all the changes.

They have the exact same eyes. The resemblance is crazy.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I don't care as much about accurate impressions (Chloe bores me to tears - sorry to any fans), as much as it's all just sort of been there, done that with jokes about his cheating. I can see why they just went for the basic laughs, but I thought the part with Bowen was the main laugh-getter.

Although I can be awed by a great impression, I would rather see a funny characterization of a real person than a more accurate one. For instance, JAJ's Mitch McConnell might be more realistic than Beck's, but Beck's was much funnier. It's better for the performer to exaggerate a quality or aspect of a person than to do a straightforward reproduction.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Very brave  of the Grimace writers to take credit...

The Charmin sketch is getting plagiarism accusations from some viewers. This happens a lot with SNL, and many times I don't believe it. This time, you can see whether you do or not:

I don't think it's a great look for a headwriter to be attached to this, but I am biased as Sublette is one of my least favorite writers in the last few decades of the show. 

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Although I can be awed by a great impression, I would rather see a funny characterization of a real person than a more accurate one. For instance, JAJ's Mitch McConnell might be more realistic than Beck's, but Beck's was much funnier. It's better for the performer to exaggerate a quality or aspect of a person than to do a straightforward reproduction.

I felt like JAJ was mostly just there to support Kenan rather than having a role. I am not entirely sure why he was there at all, although it was nice to see him on Update, I guess. 

• Useful 2
On 10/2/2022 at 1:08 AM, South said:

On WU, New Guy reminded me of Alex P Keaton.

I should have added that I don’t find a resemblance, it’s more of his manner and pattern of speech.  However, even if he reminded me of a rutabaga, the quick correction and apology about paying for one’s own auto insurance, showed perfect timing.

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I’m here for it!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, Miles did a great Peyton Manning, and I say that as someone who isn't a fan of PM.

The Adam Levine portrayal needed more neck and face tattoos.

Dave Chappelle already did that be real joke. It was called When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong.

The sketch with the two doofus guys in the bar who had no game had me laughing so hard.

I imagine the belt Kendrick Lamar was wearing in his first song is the height of fashion but wow did it look uncomfortable to me. I couldn't imagine sitting very long in that thing.

Is the new cast member Michael Longfellow transgender? Whatever, he was pretty good on WU.

Bowen killed it as the Spotted Latternfly. He really goes all in. Keep stompin', bitch!

Bisexual maybe-not-so-happy Grimace was jacked, lol.

Frank Ocean is not related to Billy Ocean. Good to know.

Not bad for a season opener. When I heard a number of veteran cast members had left I was prepared for the worst. But Miles did well and he can come back the next time he has a project to promote.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For instance, JAJ's Mitch McConnell might be more realistic than Beck's

I find that difficult to measure. There's kernels of truth in both impressions, so it's still up to the eye of the beholder.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is the new cast member Michael Longfellow transgender? Whatever, he was pretty good on WU.

Molly Kearney is non-binary. I haven't heard anything about any of the other cast members falling outside traditional gender identities.

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Although now that I think about it, Andy Samberg as the goose who was hit by Captain Sully’s plane is probably also in the running. 

I Know That i Don't Remember That That Well, But NO, Nothing Will Beat Bowan's Iceberg ! ! NOT The Out Fit OR How Defensive He Got ! ! 

On 10/2/2022 at 8:12 AM, TheOtherOne said:

If it hasn't been answered yet, the reason Cecily wasn't in the opening credits is because she wasn't available to shoot anything for them since she's in Los Angeles doing the play (I suppose that is off-Broadway, but the actual off-Broadway production was earlier this year). Presumably they'll shoot her new credit shots when she returns to New York and rejoins the show.

https://tvline.com/2022/10/01/snl-why-cecily-strong-missing-opening-credits-season-48-premiere/

I don't get this, though. They could shoot in some LA bar that looks like NY, and her time commitment would probably be a couple of hours. (Including makeup and styling.) Surely they could do that on the night the play is dark, or some afternoon.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:24 PM, PrairieDogBaby said:

I totally thought that WAS Peyton Manning until I came here! 

I Also Thought That Was Peyton Manning Especially Because He Had Done Cameos Besides Being The Host ! I DID Know That Was NOT Eli And That Was Andrew Dismukes ! 

• Like 1
On 10/2/2022 at 12:27 AM, rollacoaster said:

Kenan is making Herschel Walker waaaaaaaaaaay too articulate. 

Eddie Murphy did a great Walker back in the day.  I looked on youtube for it, but couldn't find it.

7 hours ago, monakane said:

Eddie Murphy did a great Walker back in the day.  I looked on youtube for it, but couldn't find it.

You May Be Right, But, I Did Not Remember Them Doing Hershel Walker On Saturday Night Live In The Early 80's ! Was Hershel Even AT Georgia In 1980 ? I Thought That Would Be Some Time After 1984 ! I Don't Remember Eddie Doing Hershel Walker, Now James Brown And Stevie Wonder I KNOW ! ! 

14 hours ago, Jody said:

You May Be Right, But, I Did Not Remember Them Doing Hershel Walker On Saturday Night Live In The Early 80's ! Was Hershel Even AT Georgia In 1980 ? I Thought That Would Be Some Time After 1984 ! I Don't Remember Eddie Doing Hershel Walker, Now James Brown And Stevie Wonder I KNOW ! ! 

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/episode-14-pictured-eddie-murphy-as-herschel-walker-during-news-photo/141463691#:~:text=SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE -- Episode 14 -- Pictured%3A,Alan Singer%2FNBC%2FNBCU Photo Bank Save PURCHASE A LICENSE

I found this but not the video.

7 hours ago, monakane said:

OKAY ! I Guess Eddie Was Being Hershel Walker On What I Call Week End Update ! I Might Have Remembered Him Being Hershel Better IF He Had Been Hershel In A Sketch ! 

• Like 1
On 10/2/2022 at 12:18 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

- Bowen as the Lantern Fly OBVIOUSLY.  I mean, the character work and the little flourishes and expressions he did Good God!  He was like a reality show contestant or somebody who would be on Jerry Springer.  

Yep.  No one else could've done that so perfectly.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:22 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

It's about how long you've been on the show, not the quality of the performance.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:24 PM, PrairieDogBaby said:

I totally thought that WAS Peyton Manning until I came here! 

It took me several minutes to realize it wasn't, he was that convincing.

On 10/2/2022 at 6:15 PM, Pete Martell said:

even if I'm the only one I always preferred Alex Moffat to Mikey Day

You're not the only one.  I like Mikey but always preferred Alex.  I will miss him.

On 10/1/2022 at 10:40 PM, kirinan said:

Where’s Cecily in the credits? Did I miss an announcement?

Cecily WILL Miss The First THREE Shows ! Cecily Is Doing Her One Woman Show OFF Broadway ! I Think Cecily WILL Be Back On October 29 When Jack Harlow WILL HOST AND Be Musical Guest ! ! !

On 10/1/2022 at 11:47 PM, opus said:

I noticed that too. Just him and Sarah Sherman didn’t move up.

I Thought IT Was Odd That Punkie Got Moved Up And The Other Guy Did Not Move Up ! ! I Thought They Came On AT The Very Same Time ! They Would Say His Name With the Three Names, But, Austin Some Thing Johnson And Then They Would Say Punkie Johnson ! ! Maybe, They Moved Her Up To Be In The Black Sketches ! 

On 10/1/2022 at 11:52 PM, saoirse said:

But he and Sarah only have one season in, right? It’s usually two plus seasons that get upgraded from ‘featured’.

BUT, Does Punkie Have TWO Seasons ?

On 10/2/2022 at 12:57 AM, MrWhyt said:

Jonny Hamms!!

pretty good show, not great. Excellent cold open IMO, bonus points for the meta-ness.

He Is JON HAMM ! 

On 10/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, peeayebee said:

I was thinking the same. I enjoyed Kenan doing Herschel, but he should have been way more ridiculous, ignorant, and, yes, inarticulate.

I didn't have an opinion of Miles Teller before the show -- I thought he was very good in Whiplash. I'm not sure what else I've seen him in -- but I thought he did really well and was funny. 

I wasn't thrilled by the CO, except for marveling at how much Miles looked like Peyton Manning.

Say Something Normal was ok. I thought Mikey did a good Adam Levine impression, but from comments here, I guess I have to say I haven't really seen much of him other than singing. So what do I know?

The bank robbery sketch was another ok one. I hadn't heard of BeReal, but it looks like a real thing to me. I'm not interested enuf to google it.

I was somewhat amused by the Charmin Bears sketch, except for a couple of the toilet humor lines. What was it Heidi said about being bears? They eat honey and ... push it out? Whatever that last part was, I didn't like it. I also figured that the writers wouldn't know how to end the sketch. And they didn't.

I hadn't seen the AMC commercial before, and it took me a while to figure out who Chloe was doing an impression of. There really wasn't much to this sketch.

WU had some good jokes. As good as JAJ is at impressions, I don't think he can ever match Beck's Mitch McConnell.

I thought King Charles' new emblem -- CR -- looked like the one from the Colbert Report.

I didn't particularly like Michael Longfellow's appearance on WU. Maybe he was nervous and will get better. 

Several times during the show I was very impressed with the SNL wardrobe dept and their costume makers.

Didn't much care for the McDonald's new commercial ad. Again, I thought the Grimace new body costume was great. And I hardly recognized Miles. In fact, I was somewhat distracted trying to figure out who he reminded me of. Louis CK? Rip from Yellowstone

I'll need to check out the lyrics to Kendrick's songs because I couldn't understand much of what he said. 

During his first song, every time there was a closeup of him, I couldn't stop staring at his necklace. And then in the second performance, he was wearing what at first looked like an LA Dodgers hat. Can someone explain what the lettering -- pg LA ng -- meant? 

Mikey Was Horrible As Adam Levine ! Adam Levine Was On The Voice For Many Years ! All They Had Mikey Doing Was Just Acting Like He Had Been Bad ! Heidi Said They Shoot The Honey Out ! Did You Want Miles To Stay After All And He And Kenan Hugged ? How Did You Want Them To End The Sketch ?

On 10/2/2022 at 6:11 PM, peeayebee said:

Who?

Molly Is The New Girl And The Only Girl OF The New People ! 

On 10/2/2022 at 12:09 PM, peeayebee said:

Adam Levine Was A Judge On The Voice For Many Years ! No, Mikey Did Not Sound Any Thing Like Adam Levine ! I Guess They Did Not Have Any Body To Play Adam Levine ! The Bees Eat Honey And Shoot IT Out ! I Did Not Think About Whether The New Guy As Every Body Called Him Was Nervous, But, Yes, i Also Thought That And I Did Not Think He Was Funny ! Usually, IT Is The Host Who Is Nervous On The Monologue ! I Liked The Second Song Better Than The First Song ! I Liked The Drum Beat In The Second Song And I Liked That Other Man Singing Better Than Kendrick Lamar ! !

On 10/2/2022 at 6:15 PM, Pete Martell said:

I never understood that either. I think people just got them mixed up because they both played Trump brothers, or because they were white guys around the same age range. 

I generally prefer Mikey being crazy and loud, like last night, to all the Mikey Reacts, but I also think too much of that will be a mistake. I hope some of the other cast who had thankless roles, like Andrew, get more to do.

I Always Thought Alex Was Prince Harry And Mikey Was Prince Andrew, But, Every Body Said IT Was The Other Way Around ! ! I Do Miss Eric And Eric Got In Trouble This Week ! ! OF Course, Saturday Night Live Is NOT Doing Live Shows So They Could Not Say Any Thing About Eric Any Way !

On 10/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, SoMuchTV said:

N O, Nothing Will Ever Be As Good As The Ice Berg !  I Did Not Like The Goose Any Way !