Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Four Hundred Cartons of Undeclared Cigarettes and a Niblingo

DanaK
  • Start Topic

George Sr. bails Meemaw and Georgie out of jail. Also, Sheldon and Missy meet Mandy (Emily Osment), and Mary feels unwelcome at church, on the sixth season premiere of YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, Sept. 29 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Wow, Iain's voice got deep.

Agreed - and before we get to the episode, I'm watching Iain's face and listening to his voice, and it's reminding me of something.

Fifteen minutes in it hits me - he kinda resembles first-season Star Trek: The Next Generation.... Will Wheaton!

Bet they didn't see that coming six years ago!

• Fire 2
  • LOL 15
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Iain's voice is so deep, omg. I know it's part of growing up, but damn it was so distracting. I hope I can get used to it.

Yeah, that kind of took me out of the YS zone!! I didn't find this episode particularly funny.  I was really hoping for a better storyline with Georgie & MeeMaw.  That was a bit of a yawn.   I'm not too happy with Mary's storyline either.  It's all too depressing.  

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I can’t stand the scenes with Sheldon. His acting has gone from sweet and natural to wooden and smug. And I’m glad Mary gave Pastor Jeff the cold shoulder. He could be calling out his congregation on their unChristian behavior, but instead he’s the biggest hypocrite of all. 

I’m glad George and Georgie were able to bond on the trip home. Still don’t like Dale, but appreciate he helped rescue Connie and Georgie.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

Wow, Sheldon's voice really threw me for a loop. He's also so much taller now. It isn't just that either, it's his demeanor. He's not that little genius nerd that we have all come to know and love. I know, kids grow up. Missy has changed too. She was more sarcastic and confrontational in her chat with Mandy. I think she is still too young to take that posture, but then I don't write the scripts. Speaking of the writing, I loved how Sheldon stood up for his Mom in church, but then they diminish its impact with that silly pronunciation bit at the end. That didn't work for me. I certainly hope this episode doesn't set the bar for the season to come. I don't think I'd enjoy a dozen disjointed episodes where the scripts try to give everyone an equal shot at screen time. The tone of the show has gotten darker too. I was really looking forward to this premier episode but I have to give it a C.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

I didn’t want to miss Ghosts so watched this. I wish Mary had laid the blame on Pastor Jeff directly. Is he a leader or not? She blamed God and not Jeff? Screw that. Who’s fallible, Mary? God or Jeff?

And Mandy saying Georgie was a “good guy”? No. He’s not even a guy, and he’s not good. He’s a lying high school dropout, and MeeMaw helped him perpetuate a fraud against her. She’s taking responsibility for herself and for him. Screw that.

And MeeMaw? Was that supposed to be a joke or did she literally offer to prostitute herself for $2500? And then Dale negotiated. Which he should. Because that’s what you do when someone is offering you “services.”

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Do we know for sure if this will be the last season?  If not, it should be.  

It was renewed through Season 7 with a 3 season pickup. So it has at least one more season after this

• Useful 5

Okay, now that we're talking about the episode, can I speak up for Pastor Jeff? The way they've characterized him in the last few episodes has been very far off, as far as I can see.  He's a flaky, out-of-time character, but he never had a mean bone in his body, and he really believed in what he was saying. And he literally slept on the Cooper's couch during his divorce. 

I figured he'd redeem himself during the garbage can scene.

Then I figured he'd redeem himself during the sermon.

Then I figured he'd redeem himself when he came to the house.

But he didn't. I still think he might, but his recent actions seem to go against everything we know about him. But in terms of making Mary feel abandoned, I guess it works.

Edited by highway61
  • Like 5
  • Love 14

I don't mind the more serious tone the show has adopted. It's pretty clear they don't really want to be a sitcom anymore, but I"m okay with that.

I think I recall the pastor moving in next door when he married his 2nd wife. It's a little hard for me to visualize, because the neighbors I mostly remember are Brenda and her kid Billy and their chickens. But people do tend to have one neighbor on each side, so it's not really impossible. It just feels like the pastor and Brenda live in entirely different neighborhoods.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. Georgie's line about cigarette themed names for his future kid (Winston for a boy, Virginia for a girl) was fantastic and one of the highlights of the episode. I like the way Missy is very protective of her family. While Missy and Sheldon may not understand each other, or like each other, they absolutely love each other. When Sheldon signaled Missy that he wanted to talk late at night, she didn't ignore him. She picked up the walkie-talkie and they started to have a real conversation with him. 

• Like 4
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

They grow up so fast. He’s starting to sound like Jim Parsons.

Sheldon calling out the hypocrisy of the congregation made the whole episode.

I really wish that instead of the “feels like He’s walking away from me” bit, Mary just told Pastor Jeff that she’s walking away from a bunch of judgmental hypocrites and a spineless pastor that wouldn’t stick up for her, not God. But they’re one 8n the same to Mary.

Are we really still doing this thing with Dale? Ugh.

I wanted Mary to say, “I’m not walking away from God. I’m walking away from you,” and then shut the door. 

News flash, Pastor Jeff, you and your congregation are not God!

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I wish Mary had laid the blame on Pastor Jeff directly. Is he a leader or not? She blamed God and not Jeff? Screw that. Who’s fallible, Mary? God or Jeff?

I’m not sure Mary realizes there’s a difference. Please don’t get me wrong. My family and I are very involved in our church. But we and most people I know recognized that churches aren’t perfect and people aren’t perfect. I’m not sure Mary considered that before. Sure she has disagreed with Pastor Jeff from time to time, but it was always little things.

Mary’s been pretty blindsided by this.

• Like 5
  • Love 10
23 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I’m not sure Mary realizes there’s a difference. Please don’t get me wrong. My family and I are very involved in our church. But we and most people I know recognized that churches aren’t perfect and people aren’t perfect. I’m not sure Mary considered that before. Sure she has disagreed with Pastor Jeff from time to time, but it was always little things.

Mary’s been pretty blindsided by this.

I agree. For Mary to differentiate the two would mean having to admit that her idea of religion has been narrow minded, to say the very least, and she’s obviously not there yet.

• Like 3
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Has Jeff always lived next door? I only remember him and Mary both being in his office. Not neighbors. 

He and his wife moved in a few seasons ago, but they haven't had much interaction on the show with them as neighbors.  Just a scene here and there.  George did help him paint the baby's room.  

9 hours ago, highway61 said:

He's a flaky, out-of-time character, but he never had a mean bone in his body, and he really believed in what he was saying. And he literally slept on the Cooper's couch during his divorce. 

I don't like the way they've made him a bit cartoonish, but maybe that's how Lorre sees preachers.  Most tv shows tend to portray them in the worst possible light.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I'm okay with the show being a mix of light and heavy, but last night was bleak. I like the actress who plays Mandy, but I wish they'd write her to miscarry so that storyline can disappear from the show. It's not enjoyable watching everyone's lives fall apart over an unwanted pregnancy. 

WIth that said, I think the season will get better. Since there was no time jump between the finale and premiere, they had to keep the continuity the same in terms of tone. Hopefully we'll get a bit more levity going forward. 

• Like 2
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They drove down to bail Meemaw and Georgie out of jail in George's truck, but it looked like they drove home separately, with Dale driving a truck and George and Georgie in a car, which made no sense.

It did, actually, although I had to think about it. George and Georgie drove back in Meemaw's car, which had been sitting in a parking lot while they were in jail. Remember, Georgie and Meemaw originally drove down to Mexico in it to buy cigarettes. Dale and Meemaw drove back in George's truck, which Dale and George drove down to the border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 9

On another note, I hate that Missy and Mary were trying to guilt Mandy into marrying Georgie. It is NOT her fault that everybody was shunning them, and she should not be pressured into marrying the guy that not only got her pregnant but also lied about his age to get her to sleep with him.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm okay with the show being a mix of light and heavy, but last night was bleak. I like the actress who plays Mandy, but I wish they'd write her to miscarry so that storyline can disappear from the show. It's not enjoyable watching everyone's lives fall apart over an unwanted pregnancy. 

WIth that said, I think the season will get better. Since there was no time jump between the finale and premiere, they had to keep the continuity the same in terms of tone. Hopefully we'll get a bit more levity going forward. 

I totally agree that I would call last night's show 'bleak'.  When it ended, I just sort of went yuuuck at the whole thing!  

I also wish they would drop the pregnancy story line.  If it continues, what is going to happen when a poor teenager and his unwed girl friend have a baby?  Is the story line going to be funny or light at all if they have to all move in with the Coopers?  Do we enjoy watching everyone struggling to pay bills, make ends meet and care for an infant?  Things are not going to get better as far as the community shunning them when the baby is born.  

Even Sheldon talking back to the pastor was messed up because he had to add that pastor was mispronouncing a name.  Sheldon also really does not seem to understand the proper amount of information and social interaction when he was talking to Mandy.  He is so self centered all he can think about is what he feels like saying with no thought to how his words will affect the people he is talking to.  

A little levity and light would go a long way to improving this show at this point in the story line.  I can't help but think back to when Sheldon had some 'cute and sweet' moments when he was younger.  Those scenes made the show.  I want at least a semi-comedy back and not a dramedy.  

• Like 3
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wish they would drop the "they have to get married" bit. He's not even 18 yet and she's 11 years older. No one should be expecting them to get married, regardless of the circumstances.

This, so much this.  I can understand the mindset that getting married will magically resolve the problem but why is no one really acknowledging that this age difference (not the 11 yrs but the teen boy high school drop out vs almost 30 yr old woman)  is not just inappropriate but doomed to failure?  Does Mary really want a divorce in the family either?  And does anyone really think that a marriage will make the congregation accept this situation?  It just makes no sense.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 5
  • Love 7

A very disappointing season opener, as others have already posted.  The twins have completely changed, as if they are two different characters from last season.  Yes, Iain's voice has deepened, and he must have grown 6 inches, but Sheldon seemed so out of character the entire episode.  Missy too.  

I had hoped we saw the last of Dale, but he keeps turning up like a bad penny.  And I agree, the Mandy and Georgie pregnant storyline is a no-win and the biggest bummer of the series. 

Everyone seems to have gone off the rails in this series.   Except for Pastor Jeff.  He's always been a jerk, and still is.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Sheldon calling out the hypocrisy of the congregation made the whole episode.

I agree.  I generally find him to be off-putting, but I was cheering him on during that scene.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

They drove down to bail Meemaw and Georgie out of jail in George's truck, but it looked like they drove home separately, with Dale driving a truck and George and Georgie in a car, which made no sense.

Georgie and George were in the car Georgie and Meemaw drove to Mexico.  Dale and Meemaw drove home in George's truck.  They had to split up because there were two vehicles to get home.

56 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wish they would drop the "they have to get married" bit. He's not even 18 yet and she's 11 years older. No one should be expecting them to get married, regardless of the circumstances.

34 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

And does anyone really think that a marriage will make the congregation accept this situation? 

Except people like Mary and others in her congregation often DO expect people to get married when there's an unplanned pregnancy.  They shouldn't, but they do.

54 minutes ago, freeser said:

Even Sheldon talking back to the pastor was messed up because he had to add that pastor was mispronouncing a name.  Sheldon also really does not seem to understand the proper amount of information and social interaction when he was talking to Mandy.  He is so self centered all he can think about is what he feels like saying with no thought to how his words will affect the people he is talking to.  

This is how Sheldon is, though, and always has been.  It was perfectly in character for him.

25 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

A very disappointing season opener, as others have already posted.  The twins have completely changed, as if they are two different characters from last season.  Yes, Iain's voice has deepened, and he must have grown 6 inches, but Sheldon seemed so out of character the entire episode.  Missy too.  

I actually enjoyed it a lot.  It wasn't the best episode ever, but I thought it was good and there were several funny lines.  And I completely disagree that Sheldon and Missy were out of character.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree. For Mary to differentiate the two would mean having to admit that her idea of religion has been narrow minded, to say the very least, and she’s obviously not there yet.

She might not have publicly shunned another parishioner in the same situation but I have no doubt she would have been judging them and talking about them behind their back.  It hurts to fall off your sanctimonious perch.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

This is supposed to be the early 90s right?  I was a pregnant single mother in 1992 and I wasn't shunned.  I wasn't in Texas but still.  I swear sometimes this show seems like it is from the 50s.

14 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

And MeeMaw? Was that supposed to be a joke or did she literally offer to prostitute herself for $2500? And then Dale negotiated. Which he should. Because that’s what you do when someone is offering you “services.”

That was gross. Were we supposed to find that funny? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

This is supposed to be the early 90s right?  I was a pregnant single mother in 1992 and I wasn't shunned.  I wasn't in Texas but still.  I swear sometimes this show seems like it is from the 50s.

Depending on where you live, the religion and how fundamentalist the congregation is, unwed pregnant women are still shunned in 2022.  Mary's church is Baptist and seems relatively conservative (no dancing, for instance); some of them can be exceedingly judgmental.

• Like 2
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought Mary was going to tell Pastor Jeff she wasn't giving up on God, she's giving up his awful hypocritical church.

I did too.  But therein lies the problem with so many Christians.  They have a relationship with every thing/body but God.  And Lorre, not being a believer will probably not go that route.

Edited by AnnaCody
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Has Pastor Rob been written out of this season?  I'm shocked he wasn't at church and didn't stand up for the Coopers.

My guess is that he was with the younger members. He was hired a youth pastor and we have seen him teaching Sunday School, so my guess is that's where he was. However, I'm surprised he didn't go to Mary to try to help her after he found what happened. 

34 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

It is set in the early 1990s, bit it's a conservative community in Texas, so in many ways it is culturally more like the 1950s. Also, a single unwed mother was still a pretty big deal back in 1992. This was the year the fictional Murphy Brown deciding to have a baby as an unwed single mother was a huge deal. It was famous and people to this day still remember how controversial it was at the time. Conservative politicians were outraged. This episode is set a few years after that. 

What we are seeing in the show doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 3
  • Love 11

After watching this season premiere, all I could think was, "I had so much anticipation for this??" Cute little Sheldon has aged out of this character, which has happened with each and every series that was developed on this premise. It was bound to happen, but I'm never happy when it does. We had some good years Young Sheldon. Thanks for the memories.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

t is set in the early 1990s, bit it's a conservative community in Texas, so in many ways it is culturally more like the 1950s. Also, a single unwed mother was still a pretty big deal back in 1992. This was the year the fictional Murphy Brown deciding to have a baby as an unwed single mother was a huge deal. It was famous and people to this day still remember how controversial it was at the time. Conservative politicians were outraged. This episode is set a few years after that. 

What we are seeing in the show doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. 

I am very familiar with this area of Texas and grew up about 230 miles as the crow flies away in central Louisiana. This storyline is dead balls on for that area and that time. The pressures and rejections from the Baptist community ring true. My own sister fell pregnant at 13 and my parents weren't even in the church and my mother cared a lot about what people in the church thought. There was gossip and shunning and all that crap. I can still remember my mother cackling when not one but BOTH of the preacher's sons got their girlfriends pregnant some ten years after my sister.

ETA: The actor who plays young Sheldon-his voice was deepening last year and the last episode of last season was about puberty coming on. Remember the the whole zit thing? I think he does a wonderful job of portraying Sheldon and even his movements and the way he walks is very much like Jim Parsons. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Has Jeff always lived next door? I only remember him and Mary both being in his office. Not neighbors. 

It was S3 E19, “A House for Sale and Serious Woman Stuff.” Sheldon found out the neighbors were moving, and he freaked out about who might move next door. Do they have a dog? A bird? A bird that barked like a dog? Do they smoke? He learned his drama teacher (Jason Alexander) was also a real estate agent, and he tried to find a buyer himself. Mary didn’t want Jeff to move next door, but Sheldon thought it’d be great because he could argue theology over the fence. Then Jeff and Robin announced they were expecting, and Sheldon freaked out again.

It was the same episode where Missy was agonizing over whether or not to try and strike out her boyfriend at baseball, and what if she did and he didn’t like her anymore. That storyline overshadowed the house for me. They played “New Sensation” by INXS when Missy ran all the way home to tell MeeMaw that Marcus told her “good game” and held her hand even though she struck him out. It was a good episode.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

They grow up so fast. He’s starting to sound like Jim Parsons.

As someone said upthread, Iain's voice is much deeper than Jim's. It was jarring to me when Jim jumped in to narrate. 

Most child actors (like any children) are fearless, and most of them lose that as they grow older -- like Nolan Gould on "Modern Family." That's how I feel about Iain, though I also think that his character is less likely to grow and change as some of the other characters. 

For me, Missy benefitted from being given a storyline that acknowledges that she's old enough to support her mom and have that talk with Mandy. Everyone else's characters are kind of static, I think. Raegan did a great job.

Zoe was effective in her talk with the pastor, I thought. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I really wish that instead of the “feels like He’s walking away from me” bit, Mary just told Pastor Jeff that she’s walking away from a bunch of judgmental hypocrites and a spineless pastor that wouldn’t stick up for her, not God. But they’re one and the same to Mary.

Agreed.  I guess Mary still has a little growing in her faith to do.  Unfortunate that everyone is so judgemental on Mary, when Georgie's the one who messed up.  Too bad she's stuck with Pastor Jeff as a neighbor.  And where was Pastor Rob?

Sheldon's deep voice freaks me out.  I can't believe this is the sixth season already.

I'm curious as to what the endgame on this pregnancy story is.  I'd kind of like to see Georgie and Mandy get married, but I'm sure a lot of people here would find that icky.  I think he loves her in his own way. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I liked the episode but I really didn't need to hear that conversation between Dale and Meemaw. Bring back the guy from the cemetery.

The story picked up in the same place but no one notices Sheldon's voice suddenly dropped?

I wonder if they'll go with Sheldon where they went with DJ on Roseanne.

There was a BBT reference that of course went over my head because I don't watch that show:

https://tvline.com/2022/09/29/young-sheldon-recap-season-6-premiere-big-bang-theory-easter-egg-explained/