Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Neptune

S02.E02: Alberta’s Podcast

Recommended Posts

“Alberta’s Podcast” – Sam decides to host a podcast exploring the mystery surrounding Alberta’s death. Also, Hetty develops an unusual relationship with a broken washing machine

  • Love 3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Neptune said:

“Alberta’s Podcast” – Sam decides to host a podcast exploring the mystery surrounding Alberta’s death. Also, Hetty develops an unusual relationship with a broken washing machine

That sounds pretty good.  Maybe we'll find out who murdered Alberta and why.  Also,  I wonder if Hetty's "unusual relationship with a broken washing machine" will mirror the 'unusual relationship' that the Fanny (from BBC Ghosts) had with the lower half of Humphrey's body. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Rodrigo Fernandez-Stoll (Todd)
Ravi Patel (Lewis)
Mercedes Morris (Clara Brown)
Daniel Brochu (Club Owner)
Madeleine Eddy (Sally)
Andrew Searles (Stage Manager)
Justin Johnson (Stagehand)
Guido Grasso (Mobster #1)
RJ Copan (Mobster #2)
Josh Johnston (Delivery Man)
118825_0912bc.jpg
118825-0601b.jpg

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

“You wrote a book, try reading one!”

I laughed so hard when the ghosts were trying to read over Todd’s shoulder.  

  • Love 8
  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post

"I'm thinking of writing some other things."

"Manifestos, ransom notes...." 

That, along with Trevor's "How is every word in that sentence sadder than the last?" cracked me up. Oh, my god, everyone's reactions to everything with Todd this episode were great. I also loved Isaac, Sasappis, and Trevor all waiting patiently for Todd to turn the page in the diary, and their reactions when he flipped back to the page he'd been reading :D.

Leave it to Todd to both continue to be his weird, creepy self and also prove strangely helpful to revealing more about Alberta's past. Ooh, the reveal about Clara, and how she was at the mansion the night of Alberta's death... An intriguing piece of the puzzle to start with! I love that Isaac remembered her, too, it'll be fun to see what all he and the other ghosts who were around at the time will remember about that night. I like that this mystery's going to play out over the season as well, it'll be fun putting the clues together and seeing how it all ultimately went down. 

Good story behind Alberta's rivalry with Clara, too. I liked how they touched on those issues, and Alberta's struggle over doing the very thing she'd always preached against (and LMAO at Thor singing part of "Don't Be a Rat" song XD). I loved the glimpses of Alberta's life back in the 1920s, too, seeing her on stage. Please tell me that we will be getting full versions of these songs she's singing to enjoy, show?

As for Hetty and her adventure with the washing machine...leave it to her to make that kind of discovery in that way :p. I liked Flower being helpful as she was. I wonder if Hetty ever will try some of the other suggestions Flower gave her at the end :D. 

Trevor's reaction to Hetty's interest in the washing machine was fun, too. He was clearly just having a blast with all the crazy goings-ons in the mansion this episode, LOL. 

  • Love 19
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wow. There were wayyyyyy too many commercials. I swear there were 8 in the one block about 3/4 of the way through. CBS must be desperate since it’s their biggest comedy.

The episode? Identifying the suspect was the highlight. Otherwise pretty meh for me.

  • Useful 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I liked last week’s episode, but this was much funnier!

Not a note was off-key, except for Thor’s singing (and that was an unintentional pun; it’s been a long day).

Now I want to listen to the podcast…..

  • Love 6
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Excellent episode.  The A story and the B story (washing machine) all hit perfection.  Every single line.  Only "sour" note was Thorfinn's singing.  He can clear a room out quicker than I can that way, haha.  

Only trouble is picking out a favorite scene because they all were.  The page turning and turning back, Alberta suddenly upset that she "lost" Todd, Issac impressed finally at some good gasps.  Wall to wall to wall perfection.  Kudos to both the writers and the actors that deliver those gems so well.

  • Love 17
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

Now I want to listen to the podcast…..

In the second season of the show "Trial & Error", there was a character named Nina who was doing a podcast about the case the team was working throughout that season. And they actually put up full episodes of that podcast online as the season went on, and it was pretty entertaining :D.

So I too would be all for CBS doing something similar with this podcast about Alberta. Especially since this mystery will also playing out over the course of the season :). 

  • Love 2
  • Useful 4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The coffee shop where Sam and the boss from the newspaper meet is Daisy’s, the one Flower’s boyfriend started. Nice season 1 continuity!

There’s a suspect in Alberta’s murder! I hope it eventually gets solved. It was nice to see more about Alberta’s past and the struggles she faced which led to her ratting someone out. I laughed when Thor started singing Alberta’s song. Also at Pete becoming all nervous while talking to Alberta. Poor guy has it bad.

Hetty and the washing machine had me cracking up. It was cool of Flower to give Hetty some advice and to remind her she doesn’t need a man’s permission for anything. 

Sass, Isaac, and Trevor screaming at Todd to read faster was hilarious. “You wrote a book! Read one!” Isaac being pleased at everyone finally gasping dramatically was great.

Edited by phalange
  • Love 21

Share this post


Link to post

Before I go on, thanks for posting that picture of Todd and his car....because I totally MISSED the "Duluth, MN"  bumper sticker on that car....(Granted Duluth has it's own murder in a mansion history that I could see Todd getting into but...I digress)...

This episode was flat out hilarious. People who stalk dead people are called historians....that had me rolling....Everything else was great too....and I can tell this is a great show with great writers when they try to pair up characters who wouldn't seem to work well together and do it not just for comedy but for character growth. Hetty coming to realize that her body is meant for pleasure and seeing liberation as a good thing was just perfect....

Of course, I love Alberta (not like Pete does...) so this episode was a win for me....

  • Love 14
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, phalange said:

The coffee shop where Sam and the boss from the newspaper meet is Daisy’s, the one Flower’s boyfriend started. Nice season 1 continuity!

Yes! I liked that detail, too :D. 

4 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Of course, I love Alberta (not like Pete does...) 

"Someone else talk now, please?" LOL, poor Pete. 

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 5
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Hetty’s “What a time to be alive!!…er…” should be in every promo for the series. 

  • Love 11
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Wow. There were wayyyyyy too many commercials. I swear there were 8 in the one block about 3/4 of the way through. CBS must be desperate since it’s their biggest comedy.

The episode? Identifying the suspect was the highlight. Otherwise pretty meh for me.

I hear ya. I felt that way about last weeks episode, It didn't really make me make me laugh out loud as much as other episodes have. Tonight's episodes episode Was definitely much better for me.... I just bought season 1 on amazon prime video for 14.99$ Which is a great deal for 18 episodes That I can watch anytime I want to. (Just in case anyone else is interested in that.) Also the episodes on prime video are commercial free as they should be And most episodes work out to 22 minutes give or take.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

This was a lot of fun, especially everyone’s reactions to the return of Todd

  • Love 7
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Todd not discovering the false bottom/diary in the table surprised me. I thought for sure he'd be the type to examine every inch and notice that kind of thing. I guess he's a fan, but not a sleuth.

  • Love 2
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I loved this episode. Alberta looked beautiful I saw an interview with Danielle Pinnock who said she wasn't a singer before the show. I felt so sorry for Hetty not realizing that she could be independent and make her own choices. I love every time Flower and Hetty have scenes  together.  Who knew that Flower could be the voice of reason?

  • Love 9
  • Useful 2
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I loved this episode. Alberta looked beautiful I saw an interview with Danielle Pinnock who said she wasn't a singer before the show. I felt so sorry for Hetty not realizing that she could be independent and make her own choices. I love every time Flower and Hetty have scenes  together.  Who knew that Flower could be the voice of reason?

I think I read the same interview with Danielle and that really surprised me that she wasn’t a singer because she’s sounded really good in previous episodes

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

Finally a show/episode where I could LOL repeatedly, even watching alone. 
I will definitely rewatch this one. 

Kudos on the editing of the page flipping scene. They give awards for that stuff, right?

And I thoroughly enjoyed singing along with Alberta, belting out "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out":

  • ♪ Once I lived a life of a millionaire ♪
    ♪ Spending my money, I didn't care ♪
    ♪ Carried my friends out for a good time ♪
    ♪ Buying bootleg liquor, ha! ♪
    ♪ Champagne and wine ♪
    ...
    ♪ I didn't have a friend, and no place to go ♪
    ♪ But if I ever get my hands on a dollar again ♪
    ♪ I'm gonna hold on to it till them eagles grin. ♪
4 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Alberta looked beautiful I saw an interview with Danielle Pinnock who said she wasn't a singer before the show.

Ah. So Danielle Pinnock would be my perfect first-time karaoke partner.

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Wow. There were wayyyyyy too many commercials. I swear there were 8 in the one block about 3/4 of the way through. CBS must be desperate since it’s their biggest comedy.

On pretty much every show, yeah. I've gotten to the point where I record anything I actually want to see and watch later, fast forwarding through the ads. Seriously. It helps and is a lot less annoying.

  • Love 5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, this is really shallow but I loved the flashback because we got to see Alberta in a different outfit!!!!!!!!!

And of course Daisy knew how to have fun with the washing machine😂

  • Love 9
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, mammaM said:

Ok, this is really shallow but I loved the flashback because we got to see Alberta in a different outfit!!!!!!!!!

And of course Daisy knew how to have fun with the washing machine😂

Daisy?  Or Flower?

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Daisy?  Or Flower?

FLOWER!

Sorry, that's what happens when you oversleep, then rush to take the dog out before she pees all over the kitchen, then get ready to go to dentist, and never have your morning coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do i sound stressed? I'm a little stressed, hate dentists and getting a tooth pulled. I'm also buying a bottle of scotch.....for afterwards😎

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 2
  • Hugs 5
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, this is going to be an unpopular opinion.  I do love this show, but when pretty much all of the characters thought it was wrong to be a "rat," including (and especially) Alberta, but then agreed it was okay to be a "rat" when one felt that someone else got a break and they didn't and because they were being seen as "less than" due to being overweight, it just bothers me to no end (and I am very clearly overweight and understand that I have missed opportunities).  So, it's okay to go against one's own beliefs (and those of others) because of feeling slighted?  And, it was the club owner who made the decision to hire the other woman so why target the other woman? Just like on Judge Judy when women go after each other instead of the man who cheated on them.  Okay, rant over.

Love that the podcast is a thing.  Laughed out loud a few times-especially in the book page turning scene.

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, seacliffsal said:

Love that the podcast is a thing.  Laughed out loud a few times-especially in the book page turning scene.

I found myself wondering if "Todd" ever cracked while the ghosts were freaking out around him while he had to pretend they weren't there. How many takes for that scene?

  • Love 9
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post

 Isaac was so tickled that he finally got a big group gasp! 

Another hilarious episode, I am just so happy that this show is back again. I am thrilled that we got an Alberta episode and that we are moving closer to possibly solving her murder! I wonder if Clara's ghost is out there someone and Sam will need to go and find her and confront her about the murder? It was just really cool seeing Alberta in a different outfit! She really is a natural on stage. Also, she's not wrong about podcasts being radio that you can put in your pocket. It makes me weirdly happy that radio ended up finding a strange second life as a medium. 

Lots of great scenes and bits, like Sass, Isaac, and Trevor trying to read Alberta's diary and being increasingly frustrated at how slow a reader Todd is, Trevor being sad about a probably hot, Pilates doing Hailey being murdered, and Pete's continued unrequited crush on Alberta. 

"And yet she retains a healthy ego."

  • Love 16

Share this post


Link to post

14 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

 Isaac was so tickled that he finally got a big group gasp! 

I love Isaac's love of a good gasp.

  • Love 12
  • Laugh 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Danielle Pinnock must have been thrilled that she got to wear not one but two different costumes for this episode. Aside from Flower's, none of the other ghosts have gotten to wear a different outfit in their flashbacks. Not unless you count Trevor getting to wear pants. 

I have a rather delicate question about Hetty and the whole washing machine business. It was established early on that ghosts could have sex but "couldn't finish." Therefore, I don't see how the sexual stimulation could be anything other than frustrating. The way Hetty floated down the stairs all Zen, you'd have thought she just had the biggest O ever.

That subplot did, however, provide me with my favorite line this episode, when Hetty said her own washer never made such a racket. "In fact I don't think I ever heard Helen speak a single word."

So is Todd going to be a semi-regular now or is the podcast just going to be a one-off? Also, did I miss something or did they not explain exactly what Alberta "ratted" about Clara?

  • Love 3
  • Useful 2
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also, did I miss something or did they not explain exactly what Alberta "ratted" about Clara?

It concerned bootlegging, which Alberta also participated in.

  • Love 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

A shame Clara might be too old to show up as an elderly woman unless she's sill kicking it at over 100 years old.

  • Love 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, this is going to be an unpopular opinion.  I do love this show, but when pretty much all of the characters thought it was wrong to be a "rat," including (and especially) Alberta, but then agreed it was okay to be a "rat" when one felt that someone else got a break and they didn't and because they were being seen as "less than" due to being overweight, it just bothers me to no end (and I am very clearly overweight and understand that I have missed opportunities).  So, it's okay to go against one's own beliefs (and those of others) because of feeling slighted?  And, it was the club owner who made the decision to hire the other woman so why target the other woman? Just like on Judge Judy when women go after each other instead of the man who cheated on them.  Okay, rant over.

Love that the podcast is a thing.  Laughed out loud a few times-especially in the book page turning scene.

I came here specifically to find out if I was the only one who thought that.  Finding out Alberta was willing to rat on someone when it suited her purposes but looked down on anyone else who did it made me like her less, not more.  

  • Useful 1
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Danielle Pinnock must have been thrilled that she got to wear not one but two different costumes for this episode. Aside from Flower's, none of the other ghosts have gotten to wear a different outfit in their flashbacks. Not unless you count Trevor getting to wear pants. 

I have a rather delicate question about Hetty and the whole washing machine business. It was established early on that ghosts could have sex but "couldn't finish." Therefore, I don't see how the sexual stimulation could be anything other than frustrating. The way Hetty floated down the stairs all Zen, you'd have thought she just had the biggest O ever.

What was the second costume? I only remember the champagne colored dress she wore for the flashback. Unless you mean that plus her usual purple dress. 
 

Maybe only male ghosts have a problem finishing due to the nature of male vs female O’s? We know that their muscles can contract and expand, or else they wouldn’t be able to walk/run/give those great facial expressions, so maybe it’s that? Idk, I don’t have a death manual. 

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

28 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I came here specifically to find out if I was the only one who thought that.  Finding out Alberta was willing to rat on someone when it suited her purposes but looked down on anyone else who did it made me like her less, not more.  

Enjoyed the episode, but am now thinking that the “lessons” from both plot lines were self-absorbed and suffered from tunnel vision/ over simplification. 
 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

What was the second costume? I only remember the champagne colored dress she wore for the flashback.

In the opening flashback when she's called on stage to fill in for Clara she's wearing a white (or champagne?) gown with lots of sequins. In the second flashback she was auditioning for the club owner and she was wearing a different outfit.

  • Love 4
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, this is going to be an unpopular opinion.  I do love this show, but when pretty much all of the characters thought it was wrong to be a "rat," including (and especially) Alberta, but then agreed it was okay to be a "rat" when one felt that someone else got a break and they didn't and because they were being seen as "less than" due to being overweight, it just bothers me to no end (and I am very clearly overweight and understand that I have missed opportunities).  So, it's okay to go against one's own beliefs (and those of others) because of feeling slighted?  And, it was the club owner who made the decision to hire the other woman so why target the other woman? Just like on Judge Judy when women go after each other instead of the man who cheated on them.  Okay, rant over.

To but a biblical spin/paraphrase on it: There is a time to rat and a time to keep silent.
🤷🏻‍♀️*shrug*
Actually, I too felt a little squicky during the To Rat Or Not To Rat discussion (to put a Shakespearean spin on it).
Hopefully there will be some follow-up. 

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

A shame Clara might be too old to show up as an elderly woman unless she's sill kicking it at over 100 years old.

We could meet a granddaughter——perhaps even played by the same actress——as a result of research for the podcast.
But I don't look at spoilers, so this is pure speculation. 

  • Love 2
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I took the whole “Alberta is a rat but it’s ok” thing as her friends trying to make her feel better. What are they gonna do, kick her out of the house? Plus, this is a potential income for the B&B, and Sam doesn’t want to lose that. 

Is it wrong that I kind of want Jay to die, so he can be best friends with Pete?

  • Love 8
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I wish I could say I found this week's episode better/funnier than last week's - but I didn't. Are there new writers this year? Maybe it's just me, but not finding season 2 nearly as good as S1. And I'm sad because I looked forward to this show every week. Not saying anyone else is wrong if you are finding it enjoyable, but I keep waiting for those 'laugh-out-loud' moments like last year & so far it hasn't happened. I will keep watching & hope it improves for me. 

  • Love 2
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Alberta wouldn't have needed to rat Clara out if Clara had admitted that Alberta was the better singer. The ghosts are imperfect people which makes them interesting.

  • Love 9
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I loved when Sam explained what a podcast is to Alberta and she's like, so it's radio.

I saw this at NYCC and yes it's much better enjoyed without the commercials. Danielle said while it was nice to wear different outfits, she was more excited to be able to touch things. Lol

Poor Pete really wants his bff to be able to see him. 

It was nice to see Flower be the one giving advice. Besides basketball that would be a topic she would be well versed on. She really should tell Hetty all about the 60's. 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

It was nice to see Flower be the one giving advice. Besides basketball that would be a topic she would be well versed on. She really should tell Hetty all about the 60's. 

I don't know if Hetty is ready for the 60's quite yet, she only just recently learned that she can have an orgasm and that the Irish are people. Although, she says that she accepts that the Irish are people, we're not sure she means it...

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, this is going to be an unpopular opinion.  I do love this show, but when pretty much all of the characters thought it was wrong to be a "rat," including (and especially) Alberta, but then agreed it was okay to be a "rat" when one felt that someone else got a break and they didn't and because they were being seen as "less than" due to being overweight, it just bothers me to no end (and I am very clearly overweight and understand that I have missed opportunities).  So, it's okay to go against one's own beliefs (and those of others) because of feeling slighted?  And, it was the club owner who made the decision to hire the other woman so why target the other woman? Just like on Judge Judy when women go after each other instead of the man who cheated on them.  Okay, rant over.

Love that the podcast is a thing.  Laughed out loud a few times-especially in the book page turning scene.

One person's rat is another person's whistleblower and I always lean to the latter even though this was only about one-to-one revenge.  Besides I have nothing against ratting out someone in general personally and don't know why anyone would hold it as a bad thing to do.  It you are ratted on you did something to get yourself ratted on.  This crazy concept a lot of society (including fictional Alberta here) seems to have of being loyal to someone doing something wrong doesn't ever wash with me.

Besides Clara acted really smug in that scene when she got chosen over Alberta because of her looks and happily humiliated her about same then and there.  So revenge is fine with me as a motive.

2 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

I wish I could say I found this week's episode better/funnier than last week's - but I didn't. Are there new writers this year? Maybe it's just me, but not finding season 2 nearly as good as S1. And I'm sad because I looked forward to this show every week. Not saying anyone else is wrong if you are finding it enjoyable, but I keep waiting for those 'laugh-out-loud' moments like last year & so far it hasn't happened. I will keep watching & hope it improves for me. 

And I think they are about even but maybe this season is just a tad better so far since no missed steps so far albeit just two episodes.  And the lines have been great this season. 

Not that they were not last season but there was one "semi-clunker" last season for me personally when they went to Ohio to find Sam's mother.  You need "our" ghosts in all the episodes as much as possible.  (And last year there was always one or two ghosts missing each episode early on too until the producers promised they would keep the whole roster in from now on). 

But the first two episodes this season have perfect ghost attendance and have been near perfection for me.  I found myself laughing out loud at least a half dozen times watching this episode.

Edited by Skooma
  • Love 12
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't know if Hetty is ready for the 60's quite yet, she only just recently learned that she can have an orgasm and that the Irish are people. Although, she says that she accepts that the Irish are people, we're not sure she means it.

She of course would be shocked, but she might be okay as long she doesn't find out women can ride bicycles. 

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

A shame Clara might be too old to show up as an elderly woman unless she's sill kicking it at over 100 years old.

Could be like Sam’s Mom: Find out where she died and go see if she’s a ghost. (I’m completely unspoiled and don’t go into the speculation/spoiler thread or read any media. This is a pure guess.)

  • Love 3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Seriously. It helps and is a lot less annoying.

esp. since currently so many of the ads are for political candidates. Seeing your obnoxious ad fifteen times a night won’t make me vote for you, it fills me with rage.

  • Love 9
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2

Share this post


Link to post

If you want to get technical, aren't all the ghosts rats since they tell Sam whenever Jay lies or when the B & B guests said nasty things?

  • Love 4
  • Laugh 6
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size