Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Polo was the ONLY one I got in that category, which is weird because I know nothing about polo (except it's on horses) and I've at least seen the other sports. (though I do actively ignore golf when it's on...)

I only got polo because of mallet + a lot of money (mallet alone probably wouldn't have been enough in time).  In fact, while I ran that category, it was usually from just twigging on one of the things listed, as baseball is the only one of those sports I pay any attention to.  I knew that one easily, but I only got golf because of shank, boxing because of cutman (and I only knew that thanks to an episode of Sports Night), and hockey because penalty (killing) made penalty box spring to mind.  All the other terms meant nothing to me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
(edited)

March 3:

73% / 73% / 74%

Decent game (consistent, too) ... In J! I ran Historic Names, missed one in Disney and Novel Keywords, and two in everything else. In DJ I ran Idioms, missed three in Accent, two in Art, and one in everything else.

FJ was not quite an instaget but I got it in plenty of time. 

Only TS was Jiminy Cricket.

Darn, I was rooting for Lucas. Or Avi. (Sorry, but Jackson bugs me after a while.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7

Jackson played very well but I would be fascinated to know what glitch spat out Phyllis Schlafly in his response to the VRA clue. I guess he went to ERA, didn't connect dissent to SCOTUS and also misconstrued what the dissent was against?

• Like 5

I didn't get FJ tonight.  I definitely was distracted -- this time by thunderstorms that were rolling through.  I probably should have just turned off the TV and had an archive night.  

The only TS I got were Sven and Jiminy Cricket.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

The "Frozen" TS, with all three young men just standing there (too young to have little kids as fans, too old to be into something like Frozen themselves) made me burst out laughing. I decided to return as it's now the semifinals. Looking forward to the return of regular Jeopardy & Ken. 

• Like 4

I watched tonight and was boggled - Mayim reads the clue and THEN GIVES THE ANSWER!!!  Oh, no...she was calling on the contestant Lucas who did not know "Who is Lucas?"  LOL 

I wish I knew what she thought was so damn funny about Pangrams.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I was rooting for Jackson, even though the Phyllis Schlafly response was utterly bonkers; it's like he took VRA as ERA, dissent as disagrees with, ignored the entire rest of the clue, and thought "woman who opposed the ERA = Phyllis Schlafly".  But, ya know, for the clue he made up in his head, I like that he knew the answer.  And he made me laugh with his "I've always wanted to say this" fake-out and "I wish I actually had gone for it" when he saw the rocket science clue.

I missed one in colors and two each in novels and Disney (better than I thought I'd do in that one), but ran the rest of the first round. 

I came even closer in DJ; I got all but one in accents and lanthanides and ran the rest (in the case of the art category, that was a very pleasant surprise).

I did not get FJ, though, and could have sat here all night; I'd never heard of it.

• Like 4

A fairly decent game - I nearly ran 4 categories and ran one (idioms).  I was totally lost on lanthanides, and was confused about pangrams (was distracted when the category was explained).

I got FJ much to my surprise.

Jackson made us laugh pretty hard at the "I always wanted to say this" joke. I liked all of them, so I wasn't pulling for any one in particular.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I’ve never heard of The Things They Carried. Never would have come up with that.

I knew of it because it was on a lot of summer reading lists when I worked in the bookstore. I vaguely knew that it was about the Vietnam War. Combined with the list of things in the clue, which I figured one might have in their pocket or bag (pocket knife, letters from home, food), it seemed a likely candidate.

30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

A fairly decent game - I nearly ran 4 categories and ran one (idioms).  I was totally lost on lanthanides, and was confused about pangrams (was distracted when the category was explained).

I think it'd be easy to miss that she said each response would contain the missing Q that wasn't already in the clue (especially for someone watching at home), plus there was nothing in the category name to remind them of that, so unless they did that one right away I can see how they'd forget (which I think for the first clue picked the player did just that). Most categories that require a specific letter or word to be in the clue indicate it in some way in the title.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

One of my college English professors is a friend of Tim O'Brien, author of The Things They Carried, and has written a number of books and articles about him.  So FJ was easy for me.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 3/4/2023 at 12:42 PM, ams1001 said:

I knew of it because it was on a lot of summer reading lists when I worked in the bookstore. I vaguely knew that it was about the Vietnam War. Combined with the list of things in the clue, which I figured one might have in their pocket or bag (pocket knife, letters from home, food), it seemed a likely candidate.

I should've known it for the exact same reason, but got it confused with the Stephen King short story "The Things They Left Behind".  Not to be confused with "The Things We Lost In The Fire".

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

fj was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of I Love Lucy, Erewhon, Grey's Anatomy, ARal sea and Greta thunberg.

I got the entire categories of sequels, hot air, women and seas right.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

March 6:

73% / 70% / 72%

Decent game...in J! I ran Quotable TV Shows and Hot Air, missed one in Books and History, two in How Often, and four Adjectives. In DJ I ran Pivotal Women, missed one in Study: Guides and Pop Music (finally a pop music category I didn't totally bomb!), two in Tech and More than One Meaning, and three in Sea Here.

No clue for FJ. (I've heard of the name but I never would have come up with it. I guessed Douglass just to guess something.)

Got all three DDs and the missed clues of Alexei Navalny, I Love Lucy, Grey's Anatomy, manifest (DD), Green Book (DD), Strunk & White, Greta Thunberg, Katherine Johnson, and database.

Malala was on Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! this weekend. She's funny. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Your name is Mudd!  And for Malala, I assumed they would want her last name and I wasn’t willing to take a chance on getting that right! (Even though I heard her as a guest on Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me last weekend and she’s a full-on grown up now!)

• Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I'm a little sad, though -- I was rooting for Claire.  

I also got the many TS of I Love Lucy, Novolny, Gray's Anatomy, gorge, manifest, Green Book, Strunk & White, geospatial, Greta Thunberg, and Katherine Johnson.

ETA: I noticed tonight that the middle contestant started the first round.  Has that been a thing for this whole tournament?  That the contestant in the left podium doesn't start the game?

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Your name is Mudd!  And for Malala, I assumed they would want her last name and I wasn’t willing to take a chance on getting that right! (Even though I heard her as a guest on Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me last weekend and she’s a full-on grown up now!)

I've heard her referred to as just Malala often enough (also her book is "I Am Malala") so I figured they'd accept just that. While I was listening to WWDTM I thought, "how old is she now... like 25?" So I googled and I was right!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

ETA: I noticed tonight that the middle contestant started the first round.  Has that been a thing for this whole tournament?  That the contestant in the left podium doesn't start the game?

For some unknown reason, they are switching up who goes first.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For some unknown reason, they are switching up who goes first.

Yeah, they've been doing that. I guess because there's no returning champ, but why not just put the person they want to go first in that spot, then?

• Like 1

I knew FJ. Manhunt is a great book on the search for Booth and the whole assassination plot.  and dr Mudd very much harbored him as a fugitive and knew what he did.  Should have never been pardoned. Part of some of the many horrible failures of reconstruction. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Did you know he's an ancestor of newsman Roger Mudd?

ETA: Wikip. says they're collateral relatives - meaning they both descend from a common ancestor, but are from different branches.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 3
  • Useful 6
(edited)

Well, drat; I really wanted Stephanie to win.  If not her, then Claire, because she made me laugh with her cheer move for the "aggressive" clue. 

I cannot believe Greta Thunberg was a TS; maybe they've only ever seen her name written, not spoken, so weren't sure where Stephanie went wrong in her pronunciation and didn't want to risk it.  But no one chiming in with Katherine Johnson when she said Kathleen instead just plain bummed me out.

I ran hot air and adjectives and got all but one in sequels and history, so I had a decent first round, but I missed two in TV shows (which was pretty good since I don't watch any of them), and missed three in how often.

I did well in DJ, though; I ran guides, women, and meanings, got all but one in sea, and only missed two each in pop music and tech -- fewer than I expected in both based on the categories.

FJ was an instaget in terms of knowing it was the doctor who aided and abetted John Wilkes Booth, but for a couple of moments I was absolutely blank on the name.  It came to me in plenty of time, thankfully.  I can't say I'm surprised none of them got it, but I am a little surprised none of them figured out who they were supposed to be naming.  (Even Claire, because her "Booth" wasn't an attempt to at least get as far as "Booth doctor" or anything like that; she didn't know if Booth was right or wrong until Mayim ruled.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

If Stephanie had said only "Johnson" wouldn't she have been ruled correct on that question?  So many times only the last name is given, and accepted when there aren't 2 people who could be the answer.  I've been surprised by the number of TS questions that all of these younger contestants don't know.

• Like 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And for Malala, I assumed they would want her last name and I wasn’t willing to take a chance on getting that right!

I honestly didn’t even know she had a last name! I’ve only ever heard her referred to as simply “Malala.” Like Cher.

I felt bad for Stephanie flubbing both Greta Thunberg and Katherine Johnson. 

I knew who they were going for in FJ but couldn’t get the name. “The doctor with Booth after Lincoln’s assassination!” is all I came up with.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Full-on grown up is right!  I listened too.  I even told Partner South when I finally came in from my car, “Malala is a straight up adult, now!”, then proceeded to recap.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I knew FJ. Manhunt is a great book on the search for Booth and the whole assassination plot.  and dr Mudd very much harbored him as a fugitive and knew what he did.  Should have never been pardoned. Part of some of the many horrible failures of reconstruction. 

According to that book.  Other historians disagree.  I think this is one of those things which will never be truly answered.

Good game.

I got the ts's of Navalny, gorge, Greta Thunberg, Strunk and White and the Katherine part of Katherine Johnson - yes, that was a case when the contestant should have just given the last name.

For FJ, Dr. Mudd was not quite an instaget but pretty close.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
53 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

According to that book.  Other historians disagree.  I think this is one of those things which will never be truly answered.

According to that book and a military commission that convicted him at the time it happened. 

His relatives for over a century and a half tried to have his conviction overturned and never have succeeded. 

• Useful 3
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Malala was on Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me! this weekend. She's funny. 

I'll have to give that a listen.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Did you know he's an ancestor of newsman Roger Mudd?

ETA: Wikip. says they're collateral relatives - meaning they both descend from a common ancestor, but are from different branches.

I did, it's one of the reasons it was an instaget for me - and of course "Your name is Mudd! Surprisingly, my husband who is a history buff (gets all the president questions, legislation, and revolutionary and civil war questions usually), but he didn't get this one. It was pretty nice having to explain history to him. 😉

7 hours ago, South said:

Full-on grown up is right!  I listened too.  I even told Partner South when I finally came in from my car, “Malala is a straight up adult, now!”, then proceeded to recap.  

She's married too! Children do have a way of growing up - I have to think to remember how old my kids are (way older than I'd like them to be...lol)

I got most of the triple stumpers. Said "Johnson" because I couldn't remember her first name (a good bet unless it rolls trippingly from your tongue). I was surprised (and pleased) I got geospatial when my husband didn't.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I knew Mudd. Booth’s alleged killer, Boston Corbett, lived not far from my hometown in Kansas. In 1887, he was appointed assistant doorkeeper to the Kansas House of Representatives, but he was involved in an incident in which he believed he was being persecuted, and brandished his weapon. He was declared insane and put in a facility, but later escaped. How his life ended is unclear. More than you wanted to know?

I knew several of the others, like Katherine Johnson, Malala, and gorge.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

The swings in money in that game was insane. Mr bad haircut was way ahead, then missed that DD. Stephanie took the lead, then missed those 2 names. Claire ended up in the lead then bet too much on FJ. It really was anyone's game.

• Like 3
(edited)

I don't think Justin should have been ruled correct for his response of "defrost" in the A Lot of Hot Air category. The clue was, "There's a chill in the name of this device that blows heated air across the inside of a car's windshield." They're looking for a noun, not a verb. Clearly, the correct response is "defroster." There are too many little items that are easily getting past the judges, which would have been ruled on differently years ago. While I realize that I'm being persnickity about small things like this, it still bugs.

I was surprised that three smart college kids didn't know Navalny. 

Edited by ProudMary
Grammar
  • Like 9
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I don't think Justin should have been ruled correct for his response of "defrost" in the A Lot of Hot Air category. The clue was, "There's a chill in the name of this device that blows heated air across the inside of a car's windshield." They're looking for a noun, not a verb. Clearly, the correct response is "defroster." There are too many little items that are easily getting past the judges, which would have been ruled on differently years ago. While I realize that I'm being persnickity about small things like this, it still bugs.

I noticed that as well.  I can understand where there are subtle differences, but this was so blatant.  To me, it was the incorrect answer.  At the very least, Mayim could have said "be more specific."  But no, she let it go.  

• Like 3

I guessed FJ right.

I got the missed clues of angel/glean and dauphin.

I got he entire category of mermaids rights.

For some stupid reason I said Yerevan when asked for the only country that started with Y.  I know Yemen.  That's just embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1

The answer of York should have been accepted right away.  I am glad they reversed it. Not that it made any difference to the outcome. 

I was rooting for Caleb - he really grew on me, but Maya is great too.  Now I am rooting for her to win.

Did not get FJ.  I thought of Guiness and his world records and didn't come up with anything else.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Quoting myself for context.

I wonder if the judges said something to Mayim between show tapings, because unlike yesterday, today she did the correct thing by overruling the incorrect noun, "sophomore" and waiting for the correct adjective, "sophomoric." A step in the right direction, I hope.

Ken comes back Friday.

Ken comes back Friday.

Ken comes back Friday.

/Mantra

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 7

March 7:

53% / 63% / 59%

Terrible game. In J! I totally bombed March Madness (not surprisingly), missed one Composer and two in everything else. In DJ I ran Official State Stuff, missed one in Science, two in College Talk and Commercials, and three in Royal Past and Authors.

FJ wasn't an instaget - I thought of Webster first but then realized Roget made more sense. But plenty of time, anyway.

Got the missed clues of education/auctioned (but only after he gave me education, since I started with auction and was trying to anagram that), quail (DD), and dauphin (DD).

I'm rooting for Maya to win it all.

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

She's married too!

I did not know that!

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

If there was one question I thought everyone would get right, it was I Love Lucy's Vitameatavegamin. Proof positive I am old. 

I knew I Love Lucy, and I have never seen a full episode of it. I can't remember in what context I saw the vitameatavegamin bit, but I have come across it at some point.

For FJ today, I was thinking more along the lines of encyclopedia, and then could only think of "encyclopedia brown" (having mentally discarded "encyclopedia britannica"). In other words, I was nowhere close.

• Like 4

YES!  Maya is my favorite of this entire tournament, so after last night's disappointment that Stephanie didn't advance, I am much happier tonight.  I loved her reaction to winning.

I ran basketball, map, and anagrams and got all but one in mermaids and composers (for some reason it never sticks in my mind who any of the umpteen members of Wu-Tang are, so the TS stumped me too), so I had a good first round.  I missed two in games, but no bad categories.

I only ran college in DJ, but I had a decent round.  I missed three in authors and two in royals, but got all but one in the rest.

For some reason my mind went first to encyclopedias for FJ, but then the "Oh!  The thesaurus guy" light bulb went off and I got it in plenty of time.

• Like 6
(edited)

Maya and  the other finalist are going to be overwhelmed by Jackson tomorrow.  I cannot imagine what the game would have looked like if Caleb had won and he and Jackson had to compete against each other.

Edited by laredhead
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I noticed that as well.  I can understand where there are subtle differences, but this was so blatant.  To me, it was the incorrect answer.  At the very least, Mayim could have said "be more specific."  But no, she let it go.  

It bugged the snot out of me, as well.  Later, I was stewing about it and realized that I don’t think I’ve ever referred to that feature of a car as the“defroster”.  I always say “hey, Partner South, turn on the damned defrost!” .  Or “ dang Partner South, can you even see where the hell you’re going?” And, “crap, the defrost is busted.  I’m moving down South”.  I’m fully aware that it’s a defroster, but somewhere along the way, it became simply defrost.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3