Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Got "Jeremiah" thanks to "bullfrog."

Same here; I wouldn't have come up with it without that hint.  Thinking about it, The X-Files gave me two of the answers in that category -- Scully sang that song (I knew it before that, of course, but it's watching "Detour" so many times that has it so readily accessible in my mind), and she loved Moby Dick due to her dad, so talked about the characters; I've never read it.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

FYI if you watch Jeopardy on WBZ in Boston, It will air on Channel 38 today and tomorrow at the same time.

Here in Rochester NY, according to my online schedules, tonight's Jeopardy! will air on CBS

• OTA (over the air with an antenna) at 10:30am tomorrow morning

• via Spectrum at 3:07am tonight/tomorrow morning

I will go for The Tube of You in about 10 minutes or so, with a possible break to catch my daughter recite Dinosnores to my grandbaby.

• Like 2

My CBS affiliate showed today's game at 10:30 this morning, and tomorrow's game will be at 10:30 tomorrow morning.  No idea why -- they have a sister station they could show it on at the regular time, but I guess reruns of Last Man Standing are preferable?

• Like 2

Archive game for me, as I'll be watching Top Chef tonight.  Thankfully, not being able to see the photo clues was usually not an issue (either I didn't need it or it wouldn't have helped), but on a few I gave myself credit on the assumption I'd have known the response had I been able to see the picture (e.g. Donald Sutherland and Ansel Adams).

These contestants clearly do not watch baseball.

I'm always bummed when anything about The Thin Man is a TS, but I'm going to tell myself they knew who Nick and Nora are, they just couldn't remember the author.

I only ran love and fowl in the first round, but I got all but one in the rest.  I briefly wasn't sure about yeasty, as I'd never heard that used to "describe someone with youthful exuberance", but I figured that had to be the YE adjective associated with beer.

I only ran food in DJ, but I got all but one in islands, music, and letters.  I missed two each in science and arts.

I felt confident about FJ based on the category, but it turned out to be a movie I've never seen.  And I'd never picked up via cultural osmosis that it's set in the '30s, so I had nothing.

• Like 3

It took me a bit to get FJ, but I did -- action movie set in the 30s, yep.  I love that movie.

I also got the TS of Hammett, Padre Island, and R.

9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

These contestants clearly do not watch baseball.

I was shocked no one came up with R -- I don't watch baseball, and I knew it immediately!  I have no idea what they were thinking with the letters they came up with.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

March 16:

80% / 60% / 69%

Good first round…ran Hear "Ye" and Fowl, missed three Leaders and one each in the rest.

Not good second round…missed one in Food Stuff, three in Heavenly Body in Music, and two each in everything else.

Could not come up with anything for FJ (even though I have seen all three of the original movies; even saw them all in one night when I was in college and we showed the whole trilogy one weekend because we couldn't get enough newish movies* to fill the semester).

TS were arabesque and R (for Runs).

*we used to get them between the theater and VHS but between movie committee budget constraints and old, unreliable projectors we had to do something different some weekends during my senior year. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It took me a bit to get FJ, but I did -- action movie set in the 30s, yep.  I love that movie.

I also got the TS of Hammett, Padre Island, and R.

I was shocked no one came up with R -- I don't watch baseball, and I knew it immediately!  I have no idea what they were thinking with the letters they came up with.  

K is strike.  I don't remember what else that was said.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was shocked no one came up with R -- I don't watch baseball, and I knew it immediately!

Ditto.

My ts's were Canada, Hammett, Padre Island, and R.

FJ was a pretty near instaget.  I pictured the scene in the alley where bad guy is about to attack Indy with a cutlass and Indy pulls out his gun and shoots the guy.  That seemed "western" to me.  And I knew it was set in the 1930s so it seemed obvious.

Just now, Trey said:

Ditto.

My ts's were Canada, Hammett, Padre Island, and R. I have a book with four of Hammett's novels just sitting on my bookshelf, waiting to be read.  So far I've read only read Red Harvest but will get to the others eventually.

FJ was a pretty near instaget.  I pictured the scene in the alley where bad guy is about to attack Indy with a cutlass and Indy pulls out his gun and shoots the guy.  That seemed "western" to me.  And I knew it was set in the 1930s so it seemed obvious.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I know nothing about baseball, but certainly the most important stat would be runs, so… R? Seemed like an obvious guess.

I was pleased/exasperated that a BMS was called for “Sutherland” today, given that “Sutherland” alone was accepted recently for a picture of Keifer— something that I complained about at the time. Pick a lane, people. 

12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm sure all of us thought of @saber5055 during this category, being our resident dog breed expert. She asked me to let you all know that the Jeopardy clue writers are wrong and a Golden Retriever is definitely NOT a working breed, but a SPORTING breed. 

I am certainly not contradicting Saber, but I got “golden retriever” in part because of the retrieving, which sounds like work to me. Well, that and the “golden”, which was offered on a silver platter. 

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I felt confident about FJ based on the category, but it turned out to be a movie I've never seen.  

Nooo! My favorite movie! (Well, that or Last Crusade, I have a hard time deciding.) I’m feeling very bad for you right now.

But I’m feeling very happy for myself, as I watched 2 episodes in a row and got both FJs right. The first was the most fun, as I said Rembrandt to Mr. Helens’ Munch, then got to do a gloating smug dance all around the living room.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

Nooo! My favorite movie! (Well, that or Last Crusade, I have a hard time deciding.) I’m feeling very bad for you right now.

Don't waste a moment on that; if it's not something I'd like, I'm not missing anything by not watching it.  I'm not much of an action-adventure fan, and there's nothing about the Indiana Jones franchise that has ever indicated anything within it might be an exception; this clue referring to it as like a western or James Bond film is just another example of that.  I can count on one hand the westerns I've liked, and I've never watched a James Bond film in its entirety.

• Like 4

I can’t believe they both missed FJ! I thought it was so easy! I had it before Ken even read the full clue. A famous 1980s adventure set in the 1930s? Raiders of the Lost Ark.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have no idea what they were thinking with the letters they came up with.  

I also totally thought it was K! I’ve definitely seen huge banners with K written on them hanging from the bleachers during games. The clue referenced something about 3  which made sense for strikes. 

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can count on one hand the westerns I've liked, and I've never watched a James Bond film in its entirety.

It’s really nothing like a western or James Bond movie though. I hate westerns and have only seen 2 or 3 of the Craig Bond films but the Indiana Jones movies are awesome!

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 5

But K isn't seen on a scoreboard - once I really paid attention to the wording of the clue I thought runs, hits, errors so it had to be R. Too bad it was one of the few - 2 - TS I  got - the other was Padre Island.

Had a good 1st round - didn't run any categories, but got 4 right in 5 categories. DJ not so much.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 3
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can count on one hand the westerns I've liked, and I've never watched a James Bond film in its entirety.

Not trying to change your mind, but… same.

(Actually, not entirely true. I’ve watched more than one James Bond film in its entirety. But I haven’t liked even one James Bond film in its entirety.)

• Like 3

I'm a huge baseball fan and I was screaming at my screen, "R for Runs! How do you score in baseball? Runs!" Obviously, no one listened. 😉

When I saw the Final Jeopardy category, I figured I had it in the bag as it was right in my wheelhouse. When the clue was revealed, I had nothing for about 24 seconds, then just in time wrote down what I really thought was the correct answer, The Untouchables. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Don't waste a moment on that; if it's not something I'd like, I'm not missing anything by not watching it.  I'm not much of an action-adventure fan, and there's nothing about the Indiana Jones franchise that has ever indicated anything within it might be an exception; this clue referring to it as like a western or James Bond film is just another example of that.  I can count on one hand the westerns I've liked, and I've never watched a James Bond film in its entirety.

High noon as an awesome western. A great piece of writing.  

But I didn't get final jeopardy.  I was thinking the untouchables. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

young pictures of Donald Sutherland and Ansel Adams. After the AA clue, I commented to my wife that I've never before seen a picture of AA without a lot of gray. Somehow my brain just figured he'd been born old and gray :)

Also glad for the BMS on "Sutherland".

Lots of Canadiana last night.

Edited by zapper
  • Like 3

I did pretty well last night.  Didn't have a single category in the first round where I missed more than one clue.  Not quite as good in DJ (damn you, science category!) but still good.  Then I completely blew FJ despite Raiders being one of my favorite movies.  It was so obvious in retrospect, but just not in my brain beforehand.

Ran: Love, In So Many Words; Hear "Ye", Hear Ye; What Kind Of Fowl Am ? and Food Stuff.  Got all but 1 clue: Comic Influences; World Universities; The Leader Before The Leader; US Island and A Heavenly Body In Music.

I got the stumpers Dashiell Hammett, Padre Island, arabesque and R.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

K is strike.  I don't remember what else that was said.

K is actually strikeout, not just strike.

The three letters seen in a row on a scorecard, though, are R, H, and E, for Runs, Hits, and Errors.  Certainly the most significant of those is Runs.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Those are definitely the two worth watching (over and over again); the less mentioned about the other two, the better.

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Not trying to change your mind, but… same.

(Actually, not entirely true. I’ve watched more than one James Bond film in its entirety. But I haven’t liked even one James Bond film in its entirety.)

I like James Bond films (at least the Sean Connery ones) but the Indiana Jones series is nothing like a Bond film.  Which is probably why I missed FJ.  That threw me off.  I should've focused on "80s adventure film set in the 30s".

7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

then just in time wrote down what I really thought was the correct answer, The Untouchables. 

That wasn't my actual answer but it was the film I was trying to come up with.  Not the right one, obviously, but I do wonder if I'd have had time to write "that one where Andy Garcia re-enacts the baby carriage/Odessa Steps sequence from Battleship Potemkin" cause that's what I was thinking.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm always bummed when anything about The Thin Man is a TS, but I'm going to tell myself they knew who Nick and Nora are, they just couldn't remember the author.

That was the case for me - I just couldn't get to the author.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I am certainly not contradicting Saber, but I got “golden retriever” in part because of the retrieving, which sounds like work to me. Well, that and the “golden”, which was offered on a silver platter.

I see what you did there, good one!

I didn't even get close to Raiders (one of my favorite films), it didn't seem like a Bond film or Western to me -  but now that it's said, I can see those elements in it.

Instead I went with Chinatown (at least the 30's was right - though it was a 70's movie - the decades tend to blur unless I have a personal memory attached). Oh well.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 6
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

But...but...but...HARRISON FORD!!!

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But...but...but...HARRISON FORD!!!

I don't dislike him, but he's not remotely an actor for whom I'd see a film in which I'm otherwise uninterested.

39 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Ken-“Francisco Franco-still dead”! 😆

I forgot to comment on that -- just reading it on the archive made me laugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

I had a horrible game.

I said Nevada because I thought they meant that there were no women in the state.  then as soon as I saw she said Wyoming, I knew.

I got the missed clues of fact check, authoritative, Southhampton (when he said Northhampton, I was like NOOOOO, wrong direction), and journal.

I got the entire category of tri right.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I had a horrible game.

Same.

March 17 🍀:

63% / 33% / 49%

Way to end the week… 😕 In J! I ran Universe, missed one in Shoe Know It and "Tri" Me, two Premiere Cities, three in TV (and the two I got were only through cultural osmosis since I've never seen any of them), and four in Truth.

In DJ...well, the less said about DJ, the better.

Didn't get a single DD and my TSes were genuine and Leeward (but only after the incorrect response was given).

My one consolation is that FJ was an instaget.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

No idea for FJ today -- I said Oklahoma for no reason whatsoever, except that it's a fun song to sing.

As for TS, I only got pinnate and leeward.

It's just weird to watch at an unusual (for me) time, I guess.  Yeah, that's the ticket....

• Like 4

Impressive performance by Kelly to hold the lead the entire game without landing on any of the DDs.

The genuine TS surprised me (love that Ken said it the right way), and journal even more.

But, jeez, I was off my game in the first round.  I only ran truth.  I got all but one in shoes, and "tri" (I knew trinomial, but couldn't get it from my brain to my mouth) and did okay in universe, missing two, but I blew the TV category entirely (I've never seen any of the shows, and, while I'd spit out Abbott Elementary before due to cultural osmosis, I couldn't get it out in time tonight) and missed three in cities. 

I only ran one category in DJ, too -- Irish authors -- but I had no bad categories.  I got all but one in songs, shapes, and etymology and missed two each in Caribbean and ships.

FJ was an instaget, so definitely a game where I got better as I went along.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

I was on top of my game today.  DDs, stumpers, I could not be stopped!… Until FJ. No clue.

I was so busy rooting for Mark that I barely noticed Kelly, methodically working her way through the board. Good for her. I’ll pay more attention Monday. 

Today was the first time I saw a real spark of personality from Stephen. He seemed more relaxed and outgoing than usual. It’s probably what did him in.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Woohoo! I knew Wyoming

4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Wyoming! That women’s studies degree finally pays off. 🤣

I could picture the general area of the country, and considered Montana and the Dakotas, but didn’t get to Wyoming for Friday’s FJ:

• STATEHOOD

Congress relented in 1890 after this prospective state said it would wait 100 years rather than come in without the women

Then, late Friday night, ironically, the news was: nytimes.com/2023/03/17/us/wyoming-abortion-pills-ban.html

Here’s more about women’s suffrage in 19th century Wyoming: history.com/.amp/news/the-state-where-women-voted-long-before-the-19th-amendment

I did rather poorly, but I realized I watch the show Barry primarily because of the fabulous character of NoHo Hank, penned by Barry star Bill Hader and inhabited by actor Anthony Carrigan.

• TV, YOU SAY!  
    [for $800]

Noho Hank, to this title guy wanting off work: "What do you want me to do? Go to John Wick Assassin Hotel with help wanted sign?
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I could picture the general area of the country, and considered Montana and the Dakotas, but didn’t get to Wyoming for Friday’s FJ:

• STATEHOOD

Congress relented in 1890 after this prospective state said it would wait 100 years rather than come in without the women

Then, late Friday night, ironically, the news was: nytimes.com/2023/03/17/us/wyoming-abortion-pills-ban.html

Here’s more about women’s suffrage in 19th century Wyoming: history.com/.amp/news/the-state-where-women-voted-long-before-the-19th-amendment

I yelled out "Wyoming" but at the same time was thinking, how ironic.

• Like 9
19 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Ken-“Francisco Franco-still dead”! 😆

Loved that!

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

No idea for FJ today -- I said Oklahoma for no reason whatsoever, except that it's a fun song to sing.

Now I'm singing it - well, just the opening line. It is fun to sing.

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I did rather poorly, but I realized I watch the show Barry primarily because of the fabulous character of NoHo Hank, penned by Barry star Bill Hader and inhabited by actor Anthony Carrigan.

NoHo Hank is my favorite character on the show as well. I think I heard rumours of a spin-off for him. I'd hesitate about that - but then I didn't expect Better Call Sall to be any good. So I'm not the best judge.

I nearly ran three categories, but otherwise did not do particularly well.

Chris Isaaks was easy - his Wicked Game is possibly the sexiest song ever (imo).

No FJ. I foolishly said Utah (?!) and Wyoming finally came to mind when it was too late.

• Like 4

Ha wow. I thought I had no idea for FJ but said “For some reason I am thinking Wyoming so I’ll go with that.” About fell off my chair when it was right! I guess that fact did manage to burrow into depths of my brain somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
8 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Wyoming! That women’s studies degree finally pays off. 🤣

10 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Ha wow. I thought I had no idea for FJ but said “For some reason I am thinking Wyoming so I’ll go with that.” About fell off my chair when it was right! I guess that fact did manage to burrow into depths of my brain somewhere.

No Women's Studies for me and maybe Cotypubby's brain did the same thing mine did and got this little factoid from a silly little Doris Day movie called The Ballad Of Josie!

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Chris Isaaks was easy - his Wicked Game is possibly the sexiest song ever (imo).

Sorry, I’m going to have to take that from you… no “s”. 😉 You’re right about the song, though. 

I love Barry & Noho Hank, too. If there’s a spin-off, let’s hope it’s more Saul and less Joey. Sometimes it’s best to just say goodbye.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I yelled out "Wyoming" but at the same time was thinking, how ironic.

Well, remember that Wyoming granting women's suffrage wasn't purely about thinking women should have the right to vote.  There was - surprise - a lot of racism in the women's suffrage movement; Black men were about to get the right to vote, and it was argued the votes of white women would cancel their votes out.  Also, the bill was written in a way that would have excluded Native American women.  So it's not like Wyoming was a feminist haven from which legislators have now strayed.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, remember that Wyoming granting women's suffrage wasn't purely about thinking women should have the right to vote.  There was - surprise - a lot of racism in the women's suffrage movement; Black men were about to get the right to vote, and it was argued the votes of white women would cancel their votes out.  Also, the bill was written in a way that would have excluded Native American women.  So it's not like Wyoming was a feminist haven from which legislators have now strayed.

*Equality state 

* equality for the acceptable

Somehow I knew it was Wyoming.  Not sure why.  Probably that motto in the back if my mind, the year knowing it's a western state and knowing it was after Colorado (centennial state) and before Arizona/ new Mexico in 1912. 

Still leaves like 8 states though. 

• Like 5